PDA

View Full Version : Out of interest

Mackemlad
16-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Now you are all supporters of a Premiership side do you miss any aspects at all of Championship football ???

maestro
16-02-2005, 04:31 PM
Miss the number of games, for example weve only got 3 games in the nest 6 weeks

Stockport_Eagle
There's lots of extra money missing from my wallet after a trip to a Premiership game! (especially a home one)

andy_cpfc
The prices, i can afford 30 for a premier league game,

I also think the lower divisons have more passionate down to earth fans.

Neil
16-02-2005, 04:33 PM
Regular mid-week games perhaps.

Adlerhorst
16-02-2005, 04:33 PM
Apart from playing Brighton?

Adlerhorst
16-02-2005, 04:36 PM
Joking aside, i miss the passion and what it means to the fans.

Premier league football has probably done a lot for sorting out the club's finances, and has given us Kiraly (legend in the making). But apart from that its a bit of an anticlimax for me.

Also can't go as much as still play football on Saturdays and there aren't so many midweek matches.

Radders
16-02-2005, 04:37 PM
The arrogance of some so called "supporters" from Arsenal, Man U who sneer at you for even getting promoted could do with a reality check of popping down to grass roots leagues for sure.
Number of games is a big one for me along with the point above I was trying to make which is w@nky supporters who live in a dreamworld.

andyocpfc
16-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Winning games :sob:

c_block_lad
16-02-2005, 04:40 PM
Home game every two weeks, in the Premiership the gaps between home games can be very long.

For example our last home game was the 5th Feb, our next is the 26th Feb, thats nearly a whole month without a home game.

Adlerhorst
16-02-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by andyocpfc
Winning games :sob:

Its the joy of being a yoyo club. One season you win all the time and that's great, however the folllowing season you get trounced, but the victories, when they come are so much sweeter for it.

andyocpfc
16-02-2005, 04:42 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Adlerhorst
But apart from that its a bit of an anticlimax for me.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

daz_eagle
16-02-2005, 04:45 PM
every year we were in div1 i wished we were in the premier league, and now we're here i don't like the thought of going down to that 'miserable' division again.

i love being on MOTD, football first, increased media coverage, bigger game etc etc.

last season was one of the most amazing, exhilerating and emotional season's ever, but unless we substanciate it by staying up this year, that achievement will be tarnished somewhat.

Chief Brody
16-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Adlerhorst
Apart from stuffing Brighton?

That's better. ;)

Adlerhorst
16-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by andyocpfc
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Adlerhorst
But apart from that its a bit of an anticlimax for me.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I agree its insane, just what i feel.

adrenalin john
16-02-2005, 04:52 PM
I miss the mid week games, the being able to turn up with friends on spec, I can't stand the murdoch bullshit music. Actually I hate the PL.

smileysmith
16-02-2005, 04:52 PM
I miss the lower prices for away games.
I miss the gritty games without ponces falling over all the time.
I miss the passion of the fans.
i miss the banter with away fans.
I miss the feeling 'this is OUR club' ...

Mackemlad
16-02-2005, 04:57 PM
Bloody hell after reading this i aint to sure how i feel about us getting promoted :eek: :D i have on more than one occasion said to my mate i would prefer to win the Coca Cola championship and defend that year after year, but the reality is we need the cash of promotion to keep the club alive.

spenwith
16-02-2005, 05:00 PM
Living some distance away from the ground. I like the fact that there are less mid week matches. It was a question of a very late night, miss the match or kip down at the ex's !

stevek
16-02-2005, 05:04 PM
I miss any space in the Cherry Trees.

limited_edition
16-02-2005, 05:07 PM
The fact I'll get served within 5 mins at the pub or chippy before games.

Miss Dee
16-02-2005, 05:10 PM
I miss getting an easy parking space on a match day. I used to park on the holmesdale road, now if I'm too late I have to pay 5 to park in the school car park.

Hedgehog
16-02-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Mackemlad
Bloody hell after reading this i aint to sure how i feel about us getting promoted :eek: :D i have on more than one occasion said to my mate i would prefer to win the Coca Cola championship and defend that year after year, but the reality is we need the cash of promotion to keep the club alive.
Its a good point. I really dont have a problem with Palace being relegated back to the level below the Premiership, whatever its going to be called on any given year. But I do fear for the future of CPFC from a financial stand point if/when relegated. Along with relegation will come all hope of getting a new or improved ground, and the loss of some current heroes. The loss of players/managers I can live with, as this is a revolving door anyway, but I find the ground issue very depressing.

Also, as an overseas fan, I will miss the opportunities to see Palace on TV. Before last years cup games against Liverpool and Leeds, I had not seen Palace since they were last in the Premier League.

So from a very selfish stand point, I very much hope Palace stay up.

Dowie's Fist
16-02-2005, 05:27 PM
It's the same old life scenario you always want what you haven't got. The years we were not playing premiership football that was our holy grail, now we are here some people yearn for the coca-cola league. Well not me its about time Palace were an established top flight club IMO and i would hate it if we went back down again.

Tony
16-02-2005, 05:35 PM

That's how I feel to an extent. Of course, the Premiership has the glamour and glory and gets all the attention, but I don't really feel we're part of it. We're here to make up the numbers and even if we could get a foothold and build up the club, our ultimate ambitions will always be limited in the present climate. Even Spurs, Villa, Newcastle and Liverpool aren't competing, so what chance do we have?

Although there have been many highlights and enjoyable moments (taking a point off the Arse, hammering Spurs, the performances of a few players that we'd never dreamed had it in them) a lot of the football is dour, 4-5-1 safety first stuff. Bolton, Charlton and Pompey were utterly depressing to watch, came to give nothing away and see if they could nick something (which they all did :sob: ) While we're not much of a team ourselves, I do feel we at least try to give it a go perhaps that may be our undoing, we were probably too reckless at Highbury the other night.

Div one football to me was a lot more open. There's a lot to be said for games where both teams are going for it, and on their day a small team can turn over a bigger one. The technical quality is much higher, but there's little light relief in Premiership games.

It's a mass of contradictions, I don't like or respect what a lot of Prem clubs and fans have become. I don't like the hype and the football is not as thrilling. But do I want Palace to stay up? Yes.

Good luck to Sunderland in the run-in, come and join us in hell!

RDSdaEAGLE
16-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Talk to a division one fan, and most of the time you can have an interesting conversation about your team and its qualities.

Talk to a Premiership fan, and they spend their whole time mincing on about league position and their own team, and how great that is.

GloverUK
16-02-2005, 05:51 PM
Now you are all supporters of a Premiership side do you miss any aspects at all of Championship football ???

Just one

WINNING

howard
16-02-2005, 05:54 PM
It is easier/cheaper for me to see Palace when they are in the lower league. I can only support my team from even further afar when they are in the Prem however, I would much rather have Palace established in the Prem, than keep being a yo yo club.

Most of my friends & collegues support the likes of man u, city, Liverpool & Everton so, i would love it if Palace could be competative against these teams, rather than the other clubs closest to me, Tranmere, Stockport, Crewe etc.

The financial gap between the Prem & Championship is ever getting larger & the only way forward is to stay in the Prem-- if only!

zonin2000
16-02-2005, 06:02 PM
So much!

Miss the spontanaiety of deciding to go to an away match on the morning of the game.

Miss the prices.

Miss winning more than every once in a while.

Miss the excitement of cup draws.

Amongst other things.

Fladi
16-02-2005, 06:19 PM
Apart from passion (except from our team and our own supporters) I only see the amount of part time supporters growing (Arsenal, ManU, Chelsea, ...), and moneymen moving into the scene trying to take football from a working class based movement to a wallsteet project. I catch myself being more interested in 1st division footy than in boring Premiership "business as usual" kicking.:sob:

Disco
17-02-2005, 08:28 AM
We're all spoonfed the fact that the Premiership is the be all and end all through the media, but I miss the first division. I know we need to be here for finances etc, but it's like semi skimmed football. The 'Championship' is where the passion and the muck and bullets are!

stevek
17-02-2005, 08:38 AM
The Premiership is far far better than the Coca Cola League. It's where all the great players play. It's the best league in the world, and the only place to be and so on and so on.

Of course, if we end up being relegated, I shall take a completely different view about how the premiership is over-hyped rubbish, full of prima donnas and arm chair fans who know nothing about real football supporting....

JohnA
17-02-2005, 08:53 AM
The arrogance of other supporters is true.
I watched the ManU away game in a pub with a Palace pal. ManU were in there & were aggressive & sneering. It really hurt them when Kolkka scored. Rather like the scene in Trading Places.
"Its our exchange, we founded it."

LP
17-02-2005, 09:01 AM
There are many good things about being in the Premiership and tbh it's the place I want to be. But I do miss the genuine atmosphere you get at division one games, the lack of glory hunters, being able to get in the pub and also having more games. I think that when it comes to the actual football side of things then of course the Premiership is better, you get to watch some of the best players in the world, and visit some top stadiums. But for the craque and the comraderie I would say that the division below is better.

GOD
17-02-2005, 09:10 AM
The chip shop opposite Crewes ground :(
Fish cakes the size of house bricks and chips for under 1.50! :)

screamingalice
We are in the division where we belong. Having watched Palace from the fourth to the old first division, there is nothing that can beat a full house, the atmosphere when you play the so called big clubs-seeing the country's top players, the feeling when we win a game or draw with the likes of Arsenal knowing that each time we win or get a draw gets us closer to staying another season. Improving our squad and with each improvement thinking we are a step closer to winning a major trophy. Who is not yearning for another cup final (even winning the ZDS would do) The thought of at last getting into Europe in a season or two if we can progress.

No I have seen us relegated back to the second class leagues five times now, I dont want to feel the dispair I had at Highbury in 93' ever again, seeing so many grown men sitting on that terrace in tears is something I never want to see again.

Our support and our tradition of always trying to play the game in the right way and with the right spirit, the characters (some good some bad) we have had at the club and even the name Crystal Palace belongs in the premiere league. I cant see Iain Dowie or any of the players believing that we do not belong where we are today and wanting to stay there, nor should we-Our supporters compare with any in this league and our team can match most sides on our day.

No love every moment, hate the thought of not jousting with the best.

El Aguila
The Premiership would be fine if the top three would just fulfil their mission and piss off and play Real Madrid every other week.

Blind_Eagle
17-02-2005, 09:11 AM
I miss everything that I consider to be about football. The Premiership this time round has left me cold. It is just too far away from the experience I knew and loved about going to football, to the extent that I have only bothered to attend two home games this season despite being a season ticket holder.

Micky Droy
17-02-2005, 09:19 AM
I miss...

- Games like beating Stoke 6-3. You just don't get those
- Teams coming away to win, rather than match your 4-5-1 and nick a goal (Pompey, Charlton etc etc)
- The range of possibilities where a team in the bottom 4 can beat one in the top four, and where you can go from relegation to promotion places in 4-5 months
- Watching local heroes flower without fear that they'll be sold immediately or else want to get out quick

GanbareWashi
17-02-2005, 09:24 AM
This season is so much more intense, every point a point to savour. OK, so we don't win as many games in the prem, but each one we win is soooo goooooood. :D

Men At Work
17-02-2005, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Tony
Bolton, Charlton and Pompey were utterly depressing to watch, came to give nothing away and see if they could nick something (which they all did :sob: )

This also frequently happened against those teams when we were in Division One.

I find it less troubling being beaten in the Premiership because there are no expectations on us. In Division One there always were which gave us those horrid nights when we'd walk out of a game shaking our heads at how we'd manage to lose against the like of Grimsby and Crewe.

eagles #1
17-02-2005, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Blind_Eagle
I miss everything that I consider to be about football. The Premiership this time round has left me cold. It is just too far away from the experience I knew and loved about going to football, to the extent that I have only bothered to attend two home games this season despite being a season ticket holder. :eek: :eek: I know someone who would gladly have your season ticket mate!

Phil's Barber
17-02-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by zonin2000

Miss the spontanaiety of deciding to go to an away match on the morning of the game.

Exactly. It would be nice to be able to decide just a week or two before, but in the prem you need to decide at least a month before.

Norvun Mankey
17-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Tony summed it all up nicely.

st albans
17-02-2005, 12:22 PM
miss the atmosphere at most the grounds. been so dissapointed with premier league supporters

one thing that really annoys me, is that now that we're in the top flight, we're classed as rubbish and people laugh when i say i support palace. whereas the last few years they had all though it pretty cool that i supported them

most fans only seem to think there is one league, and that because we're near the bottom, clearly means we're rubbish

thats what i hate most about this league, the FANS

mojoeagle
17-02-2005, 12:26 PM
I for one miss the first division, its just got more character.
I miss the away games going into a local pub and being made welcome and talking to the locals.

mblack
17-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Money is a big issue :(

Also deciding late to go to the game (however a sellout is always good for the club)

Winning of course (not thinking it would be great to get a point, but thinking we could get 3)

Most of all though, is the atmoshpere and passion of Div 1 fans, good banter and talking to away fans in friendly pubs.

I actually have to share the the season with my boyfriends club, Notts County, currently in the bottom div. We travel all round the country for home and away games (living in Southampton, this is real dedication I can tell you :p) But I have experienced better atmoshperes, banter, friendly away pubs and fans, with Notts County than say away at Highbury and Old Trafford. However the quality of players and foorball is obviously very different.

I think it depends what you want from football. While its great playing Premiership clubs with big players, football for me is all about the fans and the community (even though I have moved away), being part of something that you and others care passionately about. Players & managers come and go but we all stay regardless (most of us anyway). Therefore I don't care what division we find ourselves in or what anybody else thinks about our club.

cranesparkeagle
17-02-2005, 04:12 PM
It is easier to say what one wont miss from the premier league if we went down. Top of my list is the arrogance of supporters and some of the players. Support consisting of sneering at the opposition rather than getting behind their team. Unseemly managerial mind games. Hype. the uneven fixture list which has us play 5 games in 13 days around christmas and 5 in 2 months now. Seeing us mix it with the best is great and taking points off them even better. Being stomped on is not much fun.

Blind_Eagle
17-02-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by eagles #1
:eek: :eek: I know someone who would gladly have your season ticket mate!

It's in Block B and I may use it once more this season

Gooders
17-02-2005, 08:33 PM
we need the cash of promotion to keep the club alive.

I know it seems like that, but the increase in costs (transfer fees for better players, and especially wages) just eats up the extra money anyway.

I think the Premiership is vastly overrated. Wouldn't bother me at all to be playing in the Championship again next season - not after the initial disappointment if we fail to stay up, anyway.

My biggest worry is that relegation would make the Player of the Year dinner a bit of an anti-climax.

TN16_Eagle
17-02-2005, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Adlerhorst
Joking aside, i miss the passion and what it means to the fans.

Premier league football has probably done a lot for sorting out the club's finances, and has given us Kiraly (legend in the making). But apart from that its a bit of an anticlimax for me.

Agree.

Die hard Hoj
17-02-2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Tony
That's how I feel to an extent. Of course, the Premiership has the glamour and glory and gets all the attention, but I don't really feel we're part of it. We're here to make up the numbers and even if we could get a foothold and build up the club, our ultimate ambitions will always be limited in the present climate. Even Spurs, Villa, Newcastle and Liverpool aren't competing, so what chance do we have?

Although there have been many highlights and enjoyable moments (taking a point off the Arse, hammering Spurs, the performances of a few players that we'd never dreamed had it in them) a lot of the football is dour, 4-5-1 safety first stuff. Bolton, Charlton and Pompey were utterly depressing to watch, came to give nothing away and see if they could nick something (which they all did :sob: ) While we're not much of a team ourselves, I do feel we at least try to give it a go perhaps that may be our undoing, we were probably too reckless at Highbury the other night.

Div one football to me was a lot more open. There's a lot to be said for games where both teams are going for it, and on their day a small team can turn over a bigger one. The technical quality is much higher, but there's little light relief in Premiership games.

It's a mass of contradictions, I don't like or respect what a lot of Prem clubs and fans have become. I don't like the hype and the football is not as thrilling. But do I want Palace to stay up? Yes.

Good luck to Sunderland in the run-in, come and join us in hell!

Like your sentiment, spot on, exactly how I feel.:p

LeeH
17-02-2005, 09:03 PM
Cant believe that being in the top flight has brought so much negativity - not all undue of course!

I do agree, Premiership support on the whole lacks passion. We've seen it at home ourselves!!! Yes, even we have some of the Prawn Sandwich Brigade, thats for sure!

But the only thing I miss is - the bovril. WHY did they stop selling it in the AW :(

But - mackemlad - after seeing 3 pages of us whinging Eagles, aint you in some way happy that we have so little to cheer about (well I do, I love the Prem!) and you have so much to look forward to? :p

paulhgc2002
17-02-2005, 09:03 PM
great post with a lot of interesting points :p

i miss not being ripped off every other weekend

i miss the pride n passion

ohhhhhh i miss the west ham supporters as well :clown:

Die hard Hoj
17-02-2005, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by LeeH
Cant believe that being in the top flight has brought so much negativity - not all undue of course!

I do agree, Premiership support on the whole lacks passion. We've seen it at home ourselves!!! Yes, even we have some of the Prawn Sandwich Brigade, thats for sure!

But the only thing I miss is - the bovril. WHY did they stop selling it in the AW :(

But - mackemlad - after seeing 3 pages of us whinging Eagles, aint you in some way happy that we have so little to cheer about (well I do, I love the Prem!) and you have so much to look forward to? :p

Thought it was just me, really miss my bovril at half time, I've had a big scream-up in the homesdale upper about it.
The only answer I got was " Oh, our suppliers have stopped it."