PDA

View Full Version : Nowrich and Ashton

Louis1974
15-04-2005, 12:23 PM
I am sorry if there is a thread on this already, but i have just read and aritcle on This is London as to why Ashston was never going to come to palace, if any of the management team or players needed to be lifted for the Norwich game, just get them to read the article.

Ashton undoubtly a talent but a prize w**ker!!!

Sorry had to get that of my chest

The EEEAAAGGGLLLEEE!!!
15-04-2005, 12:26 PM
Can you cut and paste the article?

Dowie's Fist
15-04-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Louis1974
I am sorry if there is a thread on this already, but i have just read and aritcle on This is London as to why Ashston was never going to come to palace, if any of the management team or players needed to be lifted for the Norwich game, just get them to read the article.

Ashton undoubtly a talent but a prize w**ker!!!

Sorry had to get that of my chest

I read that article too :veryangry But as you say pin that up in the dreesing room tomorrow and Dowie won't have to say a word

Dowie's Fist
15-04-2005, 12:28 PM
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/football/articles/17948915?source=Evening%20Standard

Simon A
15-04-2005, 12:29 PM
An element of truth in it though? Our training facilities are a source of frequent criticism and what kind of message does it send to propspective players when your chairman says "I hate being a football chairman. I can't wait to sell up and get out"?

Louis1974
15-04-2005, 12:29 PM
Here is the article, sorry about my spelling of Norwich, i was a bit pissed off.

Ashton glad he rejected Palace
By Leo Spall, Evening Standard
15 April 2005
Dean Ashton faces Crystal Palace tomorrow claiming he was right not to sign for them.

The striker made a career-shaping decision in January when he left Crewe for Norwich in a 3million deal. He was Iain Dowie's No1 target in the last two transfer windows and the subject of a late bid to match Norwich's last time around, but he says he never came close to joining Palace.

Ashton judged a move to Norwich the safer option. Palace may be a place above them going into tomorrow's battle for survival at Selhurst Park, but the 21-year-old was thinking longer term.

He said: "I am really glad I made the choice to join Norwich. I took a long time to think about it and I think I made the right decision. This is a stable, well-run club and I was used to that at Crewe.

"The club are well set up whatever happens. I knew when I joined there was a chance things would not go right and we could go down. But it was about getting the right club for me and the right stepping stone."

Whether Ashton, influenced by Crewe manager and former Palace boss Dario Gradi, made the right choice should be clearer after tomorrow. But it is hard to argue with his long-term logic and that must be extremely galling for Dowie. For all the good work the manager has done at Palace, the club still do not look like a top-flight outfit off the pitch.

Selhurst Park is still owned by former chairman Ron Noades, the facilities at their training ground have been a cause for concern and no one can be certain of Simon Jordan's long-term intentions.

The chairman made noises last summer that he was ready to sell the club and leave football and his transfer investments since have done nothing to suggest otherwise. Palace have been conservative in their spending this season and Dowie has missed out on several players, including Ashton, who he thought could keep them up.

The manager believes the club's facilities were partly to blame for turning transfer targets off, but the fact he fell out with the chairman halfway through the campaign suggests other problems came into play.

After Palace's loss at Everton last Sunday, Dowie must be hoping these issues do not come back to haunt them again. Tim Cahill scored twice in the 4-0 defeat and he was on the verge of joining Palace from Millwall last summer before Everton stepped in after a row over his agent's fee.

There is a similar scenario tomorrow, as Jordan is also thought to have made a mistake during negotiations for Ashton, alerting Norwich. Ashton is likely to be paired with Leon McKenzie, who was unhappy at being bombed out of Palace soon after Jordan came in five years ago.

Dowie said: "Would I have liked to sign Ashton? Yes I would, but I haven't. We came close but no cigar."

Gonzalo Sorondo, who has had a knee injury, could be fit to play and Danny Butterfield (hernia) is also in contention.

RDSdaEAGLE
15-04-2005, 12:31 PM
Leo Spall on another Anti-Palace crusade.

Pub Idol
15-04-2005, 12:31 PM
Doesnt really say much at all ?

Hardly offensive stuff....

yourname00
15-04-2005, 12:32 PM
The thing is though he's probably right, from a 100% neutral point of view Norwich were/are a better club to choose. They finished as Champions last year, we finished in 6th.

HappyLarry
15-04-2005, 12:35 PM
Not particularly offensive but its always nice for the Standard to do a nice piece supporting the LONDON club in tomorrows contest:rolleyes:

Louis1974
15-04-2005, 12:36 PM
We will see.

I think we have the beating of Norwich and if we dont beat them then fair enough.

And if we stay up then was it really the right choice. As Sj said if we stay up we are a different animal.

Cmon palace

Pub Idol
15-04-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by HappyLarry
Not particularly offensive but its always nice for the Standard to do a nice piece supporting the LONDON club in tomorrows contest:rolleyes:

True. The paper is a disgrace.

sunshine lucas
15-04-2005, 12:44 PM
If we are talking about normal jobs then Ashton has it right...
He wants a secure little environment with a stable reputation and an honest (if slightly limited) manager. The 'office' is in a nice, flat part of the country and enjoys the financial patronage of an enthusisastic chairwoman...

Can't blame him if that's his outlook - but in football terms I hope he's got it wrong...

IMO he has missed out on working with an England striker on top of his game, one of the most exciting managers in the biz. He has turned his back on an exciting, multi-cultural 'happening' environment with the everchanging, exciting possibilities that come with playing for a team called Crystal Palace.

Hughesy is gonna have him in the first 10 mins. :o

Daveyboyross
15-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Dowie said: "Would I have liked to sign Ashton? Yes I would, but I haven't. We came close but no cigar."

Classic!

Jay_Palace
15-04-2005, 12:48 PM
A mate of mine knows of Ashton personally, and he assured me last night that the bloke is a grade A with a big attitude problem.

By the way, what the hell is wrong with our training facilities? Granted the stadium is shabby and the ownership issue needs to be resolved, but our training facilities are very smart and are certainly premiership standard.

This Leo Spall bloke is an absolute moron.

Selhurst Celtic
15-04-2005, 12:49 PM
I'd like to drag Leo Spall's lungs out through his nostrils then stamp on his throat. :D

Jay_Palace
15-04-2005, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by yourname00
The thing is though he's probably right, from a 100% neutral point of view Norwich were/are a better club to choose. They finished as Champions last year, we finished in 6th.

The only certain thing about Norwich is that they will be a championship club next season. At least Palace have a realistic chance of staying up.

Richard
15-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE

Disagree. I think the article is fair. The truth sometimes hurts.

britabroad
15-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Louis1974

As Sj said if we stay up we are a different animal.

Simon says . . . . . .

The problem is that even if we do stay up people presume that next year will be so much easier. How so? We have been lucky this year in as much as WBA, Norwich have been poor and Southampton have had a terrible time. Can we predict the same for next year? If Sunderland go up they would most likely be seen as a more attractive prospect for players on the move and Palace will struggle in the market again. Sorry to sound pessamistic, but it will take longer to turn around peoples perceptions of Palace than one season. Ask me again when we have been in the prem for 3 seasons in a row.

Jay_Palace
15-04-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by britabroad
Simon says . . . . . .

The problem is that even if we do stay up people presume that next year will be so much easier. How so? We have been lucky this year in as much as WBA, Norwich have been poor and Southampton have had a terrible time. Can we predict the same for next year? If Sunderland go up they would most likely be seen as a more attractive prospect for players on the move and Palace will struggle in the market again. Sorry to sound pessamistic, but it will take longer to turn around peoples perceptions of Palace than one season. Ask me again when we have been in the prem for 3 seasons in a row.

Really?

Sunderland are a pretty poor team and on current team strength would die in the premiership. I'm not so sure that they would have the cash to attract that calibre of player either. I really don't see what they have going for them.

IF we stay up then we will be a lot more attractive, because Dowie will have proved that he can compete at this level, and so will the majority of our squad.

Frisky
15-04-2005, 01:10 PM
Rubbish article with very little relevance between the Ashton quotes and the overall conclusion. For instance it says "he [Ashton] never came close to joining Palace" and then quotes him as saying he took a long time to think about it" before making the decision to join Norwich. Do we believe Ashton or Spall?

His main comments are about Norwich being well run and stable - nothing wrong with that. He isn't quoted as saying that Palace aren't - that's the conclusion Spalls makes. Did he ever see our trainining facilities for instance.

All-in-all a nothing article by a poor journalist in a terrible paper. I wouldn't place any blame on Ashton no matter what he is like.

PS lets just hope he doens't play half as well as the last time he played at Selhurst.

Jay_Palace
15-04-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Frisky
Rubbish article with very little relevance between the Ashton quotes and the overall conclusion. For instance it says "he [Ashton] never came close to joining Palace" and then quotes him as saying he took a long time to think about it" before making the decision to join Norwich. Do we believe Ashton or Spall?

His main comments are about Norwich being well run and stable - nothing wrong with that. He isn't quoted as saying that Palace aren't - that's the conclusion Spalls makes. Did he ever see our trainining facilities for instance.

All-in-all a nothing article by a poor journalist in a terrible paper. I wouldn't place any blame on Ashton no matter what he is like.

PS lets just hope he doens't play half as well as the last time he played at Selhurst.

That's all true. Ashton IS a cock though.

britabroad
15-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
Really?

Sunderland are a pretty poor team and on current team strength would die in the premiership. I'm not so sure that they would have the cash to attract that calibre of player either. I really don't see what they have going for them.

IF we stay up then we will be a lot more attractive, because Dowie will have proved that he can compete at this level, and so will the majority of our squad.

You could well be right. My main point is that when it comes to perceptions, and many overseas players will relate to this, it will take more than one year for Palace to change existing beliefs.

smileysmith
15-04-2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
Spot on. I'd love to meet that guy ...

Sir.S.C Remembered
15-04-2005, 01:19 PM
Far from offensive and in many regards possibly correct. Now I am no expert on Norwich but they have come accross as a well run and stable club and I believe they will be at the top end of division 1 atleast in the next 5-10 years at the minimum. Now I am only coming on 20 but for the last 6-8 years I have had a season ticket we haven't been stable and we have generally been falling behind in regards to alot of things for instance stadia. I believe that our long term chances of success hinge on very good managerial appointments or keeping Dowie (best solution ofcourse) but without our promotion we would have been in some trouble and a small period of success will not do us a great deal of good in the long term unless we build sensibly which I do not believe Jordan has done in partiuclar with regards to the infrastructure / stadium etc.

Not to mention that we seemed to have more than the average amount of players who haven't suceeded at the club for whatever reason when their talent suggests they should.

Dowie's Fist
15-04-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by smileysmith
Spot on. I'd love to meet that guy ...

Would you? I wouldn't give the ctun the time of day personally

Jay_Palace
15-04-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Sir.S.C Remembered
a small period of success will not do us a great deal of good in the long term unless we build sensibly which I do not believe Jordan has done in partiuclar with regards to the infrastructure / stadium etc.

What would you have SJ do though?

He wants to buy Selhurst Park, but Ron Noades wants DOUBLE the real value of the stadium. How many people here would be happy to see him spend all his money on the stadium, meaning we would have sweet FA to spend on the squad in the future?

You say that he has not built sensibly but I would disagree. What could be more sensible than spending what the club can afford to spend on players and not go overboard? We have been careful in the transfer market and if we stay up, we will be thankful for this prudence.

Gooders
15-04-2005, 01:26 PM
The most telling words in that article were that he saw Norwich as a "better stepping stone for his career".

adrenalin john
15-04-2005, 01:30 PM
How many times do I have to say that Leo Spall has an anti Palace agenda. The man is a disgrace and has done nothing but try and cause trouble and disharmony for us all season.

I suggest a boycott of that shite mellor ridden rag by all Palace fans, somewhat akin to Liverpool fans and the Sun.

Levski
15-04-2005, 01:43 PM
I know the Standard hates us, but I'm more concerned when the media reckons we're gonna win. That's when we lose. We need MORE abuse, MORE slagging off of the Palace, and then we can respond.

I'm really worried about tomorrow because all the BBC pundits online have gone for a 2-0 win for Palace. They always get it wrong!

Sir.S.C Remembered
15-04-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
What would you have SJ do though?

He wants to buy Selhurst Park, but Ron Noades wants DOUBLE the real value of the stadium. How many people here would be happy to see him spend all his money on the stadium, meaning we would have sweet FA to spend on the squad in the future?

You say that he has not built sensibly but I would disagree. What could be more sensible than spending what the club can afford to spend on players and not go overboard? We have been careful in the transfer market and if we stay up, we will be thankful for this prudence.

I am not villifying Jordan at all I am just saying I would have done certain things different. By all accounts he hasn't spent on the players or the stadium really but I do not want to get into a massive debate right now. I like Jordan however I would concentrate on issues such as the service the fans are getting and the ground more but I understand he is in a hard position in regards to this. Personally if we were buying / developing the ground or purchasing a new one as well as making other improvements then I would understand a lack of spending on players. At the end of the day lets not look at the past and lets sort out the future.

I believe Jordan should:
1. Pay off most debts
2. Sort out the ground issue
3. Sort out the service the fans are getting

I believe this as well as the issues around it should be done in whatever way possible that doesn;t threaten the clubs location or financial future. I believe that improving our infrastructure will be of massive long term benefit as then we can be a more long term (money sensible) financially secure club who will then only need to address the football side of things.

But yes Ashton's point could be a bad sign and show why we found it hard to sign players. Or it could be that he saw that we were so upset when Gray decided to leave and now Routledge that he didn't want to face that battle seeing as he saw both possible moves as a 'stepping stone'.

Shipp Ahoy!
15-04-2005, 02:49 PM
I have to say what he has said is a little worrying.

He is only Dean Ashton he might be a decent player but he had the choice of playing with Norwich or us. If we can't beat them to him who the hell have we got a chance of convinving coming to Palace?

LP
15-04-2005, 02:51 PM
There is some truth in the artiicle but as usual the Standard is stirring things up as much as possible. It was the same when they had a big article predicting that Dowie will go to City a few weeks back.

I'll never forget when Palace were in administration and it was all one big joke to the Standard. Yet later on they actually tried to say that none in the media had done more to help Palace during that time.

limited_edition
15-04-2005, 02:52 PM
Ashton didn't come to Palace because he just knew he'd never dislodge Freedman from the first team nor Andrews from the bench.

Aki Aki Aki
15-04-2005, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by limited_edition
Ashton didn't come to Palace because he just knew he'd never dislodge Freedman from the first team nor Andrews from the bench.

... or Ventola when he had just broken his leg :D

Tomo
15-04-2005, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Shipp Ahoy!

He is only Dean Ashton he might be a decent player but he had the choice of playing with Norwich or us. If we can't beat them to him who the hell have we got a chance of convinving coming to Palace?

Matt Jansen chose us over Manure.

dufski13
15-04-2005, 05:18 PM
The Standard is a vile paper, anti Palace & London hating ,fear mongering, pile of tosh. Couldn't care less what they write, really of no value to anyone.

strawberry mivi
15-04-2005, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Shipp Ahoy!

He is only Dean Ashton he might be a decent player but he had the choice of playing with Norwich or us. If we can't beat them to him who the hell have we got a chance of convinving coming to Palace? Oh my god, you're right.
i can feel a negative thought coming on

nomad
15-04-2005, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by sunshine lucas

Hughesy is gonna have him in the first 10 mins. :o

I hope not as one more booking and he serves a two match suspension, which will be the last thing we need at this critical point of the season.