PDA

View Full Version : How Are You Coping ?

Thanet Eagle
15-05-2005, 09:25 PM
Well ,its been just over five hours since our fate was sealed and just wondered how we were all coping. Are you drowning your sorrows or just having a quiet moment reflecting on what could have been ? As proud as I am today of the players, I think I will skip watching MOTD (even though I want to see the Dougs goal again). I will probably feel worse tomorrow when the truth dawns on me. Anyway I am off to listen to some Smiths albums to cheer myself up. Anyone know when the fixtures for next season are out ?

celery stick
15-05-2005, 09:27 PM
I'm coping very well.
But I am pissed and on drugs.

rbarmy
15-05-2005, 09:30 PM
I guess Dowie's right - the sun will rise tomorrow, we can still pay our mortgages; we're not in administration. Personally I'm just kind of p***ed off and trying not to take it out on those around me. It's been quite a season and I'm just looking forward to August to start all over again.

Mat ov CPFC
15-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Well after last week I had not really built up any expectations for today. That still does not mean I did not spend a momemt gently resting my head against my steering wheel, on hearing the final whistle, and fight back a small sob but I hate Palace not winning even the most meaningless friendly so its to be expected.

We gave it a good go but at the end it was not enough.

So we pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and start all over again :)

Beach Hut
15-05-2005, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Mat ov CPFC
So we pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and start all over again :)

Good attitude, we've had to do it enough times.

You'll be back there sooner rather than later.

Out of interest what was the ticket allocation at Charlton ?

Thanet Eagle
15-05-2005, 09:35 PM
3,000. Tickets sold out a few months back. Why ?

Beach Hut
15-05-2005, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Thanet Eagle
3,000. Tickets sold out a few months back. Why ?

Just wondered.

Next question - why does your keeper wear track suit bottoms on really hot days ?

rbarmy
15-05-2005, 09:37 PM
You've gotr to say, while we are being philosophical, that we are in a better position in terms of players, money and even possibly attendances than we were before this adventure started. If we can keep most of the best players and staff it will have been a positive experience, and we'll be back

cpfc4ever
15-05-2005, 09:38 PM
gutted, really gutted, after watching WBA fans celebrating it just cant stop thinking about the lsat 8 minutes!

Jaserob
15-05-2005, 09:39 PM
I still feel physically sick.

Sussex Eagle
15-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Beach Hut
Just wondered.

Next question - why does your keeper wear track suit bottoms on really hot days ?

He took them off for the first time in a while at Chelsea, and one immediately slipped through his knees. He quickly started wearing them again.

Mat ov CPFC
15-05-2005, 09:40 PM
Good attitude, we've had to do it enough times.

And we will get promoted again and then relegated. Thats life.

The only thing that does make me sit here though with more than a tinge of regret/anger/puzzlement is the fact that we should have beaten Southampton. Their equaliser will haunt our dreams for some time to come. Of course the memory will eventually fade but its one of those events that people will ponder 'what if' for a long while to come.

Beach Hut
15-05-2005, 09:42 PM
There are always if and buts - that is football.

We survived just this season.

rikp
pissed and coping badly, thanks for asking! Before the season started I really thought that Div 1 was our natural home, but having had a taste of the premiership, it's the only place to be. I really don't get those people who are saying that the fans,grounds etc are more genuine and exciting in the fizzy pop league. Screw that. I want the passion and excitement that comes with a full house every other week and the possibility of building a quality team. Failing that I look forward to rip roaring games against the likes of Burnley and Stoke. By the way, what the hell happened to Norwich today!?

Ruskin Old Boy
Too many beers, too many cigars. Not watching MOTD. Not looking forward to work tomorrow either.

When are next season's fixtures out?

NZsparky
15-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Oh that horrible gutted feeling is back, why do I never get used to it

Stubby
15-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Jaserob
I still feel physically sick.

Me too, still cannot settle, thought we'd loose 2 - 0 today so to get sooo close is even worse. Feel like phoning in sick tomorrow!:sob:

daz_eagle
15-05-2005, 09:54 PM
well i'm just watching motd and i want to kill some ••••.

colin_cork
15-05-2005, 09:54 PM
a hell of a lot worse after watching MOTD

daz_eagle
15-05-2005, 09:58 PM
f*cking hell, why does bryan robson's face on the tele usually mena bad things for palace. f*ckin' drole, tedious ••••!!!

rikp
15-05-2005, 09:58 PM
Rule 1: dont watch MOTD on days like this!

rikp
15-05-2005, 09:59 PM
Luckily Freddy Starr's on ITV3 now.

Beach Hut
Originally posted by daz_eagle
f*cking hell, why does bryan robson's face on the tele usually mena bad things for palace. f*ckin' drole, tedious ••••!!!

My sister sat next to him a few years ago at a Hunt Ball - thick as absolute shit, couldn't string two words together.

bradpitt
I'm drunk

Stubby
15-05-2005, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by bradpitt
I'm drunk

I wish I was !

selhurst star
15-05-2005, 10:01 PM
Just wondered.

He wont next season. Our keeper that is.

colin_cork
and i have it all again tomorrow night with cork city needing to win by 2 goals to reach the final...should have kept some nails

Mr. Eagle
Just wondered.

Because when he wore shorts against Chelsea in March he let a goal go in through his legs!

Thanet Eagle
15-05-2005, 10:02 PM
I booked tomorrow off work,shall probably stay in bed all day,occasionally arising when I need the toilet.

davematt
15-05-2005, 10:03 PM
Very down at the moment. This will take a good 2-3 weeks to sink in, I honestly believed that we would stay up and was looking forward to more great trips to Old Trafford, Anfield, & St James Park. I am just desperate for promotion next season, and not getting it is simply unthinkable.

selhurst star
15-05-2005, 10:03 PM
And we will get promoted again and then relegated. Thats life.

The only thing that does make me sit here though with more than a tinge of regret/anger/puzzlement is the fact that we should have beaten Southampton. Their equaliser will haunt our dreams for some time to come. Of course the memory will eventually fade but its one of those events that people will ponder 'what if' for a long while to come.

Doesnt bother me, Brum should have stuffed us at their place. How do you think Naaaaarch feel? 3 1 up at ours then threw it away. Saints, 20 up v boro after 90 min and drew 2 2? If me auntie was me uncle she'd have bollox n all that

Croydon Exile
15-05-2005, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by cpfc4ever
gutted, really gutted, after watching WBA fans celebrating

That helped me, actually. I couldn't help smiling and seeing how overjoyed they were. They really appreciated what they have. I don't think Soton would have done that - they have a 'right' to it after all...

Good fans who've seen dross in recent years... Down and out by Xmas... Bottom on the last day... Oh, and two goes at the Premier League in quick succession is what it takes :)

That's us 2 years today.

Bring on Brighton :lux:

mrdance88
15-05-2005, 10:13 PM
ugh?

Slough Eagle
15-05-2005, 10:16 PM
I'm still LOUD.....still PROUD......still PALACE!!!!!!
Iain Dowie's Red 'n' Blue Army :lux: :lux: :lux:

Stanley Techer
15-05-2005, 10:17 PM
coping ok at the moment... it's all part of being a Palace fan.

Not looking forward to work tomorrow though - I'm the only Palace fan there... they all support Liverpool, Utd or Chelski...

Oh well, here's to winning the league next year. I'm proud of you boys.

COME ON THE EAGLESSSS!!!! :lux::lux::lux:

GreatGonzo
15-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by davematt
Very down at the moment. This will take a good 2-3 weeks to sink in, I honestly believed that we would stay up and was looking forward to more great trips to Old Trafford, Anfield, & St James Park. I am just desperate for promotion next season, and not getting it is simply unthinkable.

Wanna swap for my weekend?

Nope? Then stop moaning man

Oh and my weekend - relegation was a breeze compared to the rest of it!

Eaglesmad123
15-05-2005, 10:25 PM
Yeah i am coping very well after all its a game of footy. Not life or death an no one died. I am disapointed we didnt go up but it certainly isnt going to effect me over the next few months. Roll on next season.

Mat ov CPFC
15-05-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo

Oh and my weekend - relegation was a breeze compared to the rest of it!

Go on, tell us whats happened. You know you want..... :)

(ps can I just add the usual disclaimer if the event concerns the death of a close relative or friend ).

imashed
15-05-2005, 10:27 PM
bryan robson hit the nail on the head when he said cleared out a load of rubbish when he joined and brought in a few new faces during january sales.....:(

jordanismygod
15-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Feeling alot better now.
Lets look forward to next season.

Velocity
15-05-2005, 10:28 PM
its getting worse ;(

daz_eagle
15-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Eaglesmad123
Yeah i am coping very well after all its a game of footy. Not life or death an no one died. I am disapointed we didnt go up but it certainly isnt going to effect me over the next few months. Roll on next season.

how fortunate that you don't really give a toss.

Benzhiyi
15-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Gutted......... but alcohol and curried meets with Nookiebear, Wooden Fish, Kev T, No1Fan, Skate, and Carshalton's naughitest wench Lightweight have numbed the pain for now. :)

greybot
15-05-2005, 10:30 PM
I ended up in a pub here in Greenwich having a solo pint and the people sitting next to me were ••••••• west brom fans. HOW MUCH WORSE CAN IT GET??

Jay_eagle
15-05-2005, 10:31 PM
gotta go on not lookin forward 2 2moz, but I just can't wait for the season to start now

Beach Hut
15-05-2005, 10:32 PM
The sun will rise tomorrow, you'll be supporting a team next year.

Always look on the bright side of life.

Eaglesmad123
15-05-2005, 10:36 PM
how fortunate that you don't really give a toss.

I do give a toss thank you and have been a fan for about 20 years but just putting it to perspective. I am upset like most palace fans but i certainly am not going to let it effect my life or become some kind of drama queen over it.

Random*
15-05-2005, 10:37 PM
I'm leaving the country tomorrow for a week.

Beach Hut
15-05-2005, 10:38 PM
or become some kind of drama queen over it.

With you on that we are the only queens in football :D

cooper83
15-05-2005, 10:38 PM
Just feeling empty at the moment, perhaps the worst feeling of all. Putting myself through match of the day was an ill advised move!

daz_eagle
15-05-2005, 10:39 PM
I do give a toss thank you and have been a fan for about 20 years but just putting it to perspective. I am upset like most palace fans but i certainly am not going to let it effect my life or become some kind of drama queen over it.

soz, overreacted.

Eaglesmad123
15-05-2005, 10:43 PM
soz, overreacted.

Hey thats cool. Got a lot going on in my private life at the mo and it puts football in perspective. I am gutted we went down and feel sad we wont be in the prem but will enjoy every season like the last.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
15-05-2005, 10:46 PM
I was doing alright, we drank a few beers and had a laugh, but then I got home and put on the telly and MOTD was on and it did my head in.

To see it all layed out like that, switching between the games, and the WBA reaction with the pitch invasion and that pisshead charlie freak Manu scum shit Robson taking all the credit. Compare him to Dowie. There is no comparison. One is a great man the other is a turd not fir to float in the gutter.

I didn't know what thread to post on, I didn't really want to get into an autopsy of the game or doom and gloom about who will stay and go and all that... but we were so bloody close weren't we.

Plop.

Ebeneezer
15-05-2005, 10:48 PM
Coping? We all knew it could happen, but it doesn't make it any easier. Neither does having had so much practice of being in this position. But then for better or worse that's a part of what Palace is all about, and always has been.

We can analyse reasons and point the finger until the cows come home (the thing that sticks in my mind is the number of goals we've conceded in games in the last 10 minutes, not just today and last week, but right throughout the season). But when you're fate isn't in your hands going in to the last game, anything can (and usually does) happen.

All that said, and whatever the failings on and off the pitch at various times during the season, I personally can't remember a campaign for a very long time where the players and staff have given so much and shown so much heart.

I'm so proud to be a Palace fan, and when I have trouble coping and the disappoint gets the better of me, this will get me through.

Roll on August.

spotkick
15-05-2005, 10:53 PM
No issues here! Very proud Palace fan with a lot to look forward to next season. Alan Hansen seems to be taking it badly however.

lightweight
15-05-2005, 10:57 PM
alcohol has helped!!

R`n`B blood
15-05-2005, 11:18 PM
new member here...holmesdale lower....how am i coping?
well,my son was a mascott at tha southampton game, and after they scored with 30sec to go, i looked at him and told him not to expect mirracles. I then had to dry his eyes..... we were running up and down the road with 10 mins to go but i knew this is PALACE we are talking about.......as soon as the final whistle blew, i had to wipe his eyes again, lucky i was half prepared 4 it......after taking down all the banners from the front of my house,i then decided to have my cry....WE WILL BE BACK

limited_edition
15-05-2005, 11:49 PM
5th relegation for me. Not half as bad as some of the others. Looking forward to next season already.

joyce the voice
15-05-2005, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by R`n`B blood
new member here...holmesdale lower....how am i coping?
well,my son was a mascott at tha southampton game, and after they scored with 30sec to go, i looked at him and told him not to expect mirracles. I then had to dry his eyes..... we were running up and down the road with 10 mins to go but i knew this is PALACE we are talking about.......as soon as the final whistle blew, i had to wipe his eyes again, lucky i was half prepared 4 it......after taking down all the banners from the front of my house,i then decided to have my cry....WE WILL BE BACK

you'll have me blubbing next!
nice if sad story rnb

CPFC Town
15-05-2005, 11:52 PM
cant sleep. Just mind is doing overtime thinking....

joyce the voice
15-05-2005, 11:55 PM
It's horrible isn't it! BTW, Thanks for the soccerstreaming info CPFCTown--much appreciated

Brett
15-05-2005, 11:56 PM
Can't sleep. Should've gone to Hospital rather than Selhurst and now I'm so shattered I can't be bothered.

Does anyone else feel like they have played 90 minutes after watching Palace?

CPFC Town
15-05-2005, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by joyce the voice
It's horrible isn't it! BTW, Thanks for the soccerstreaming info CPFCTown--much appreciated It is horrible. Your more then welome for the coolstreams info. Sahme we most proberbly wont be on it now as well were not in the premiership but check my website if you want to watch any Premiership matchs :)

glad to be of service!

daz_eagle
15-05-2005, 11:58 PM
pissed off, regretful, annoyed, upset for the players and staff, what might have been, can't be bothered to go to bed i'm that gutted etc etc... we got no luck whatsoever this yr, none at all. ••••••• game. i wish it didn't mean so much, but it does, its just a fact.

CPFC Town
15-05-2005, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Brett
Can't sleep. Should've gone to Hospital rather than Selhurst and now I'm so shattered I can't be bothered.

Does anyone else feel like they have played 90 minutes after watching Palace?

I played 90 mins in sunday league in yesterday morning now feel like ive been runningabout all day. I feel my legs have started to go to sleep that horrible feeling but the rest of me is alive and awake as ever.

Gavin Axten
16-05-2005, 12:04 AM
I also can't sleep, my mind keeps drifting back to that Southampton game!

glaziers fan
16-05-2005, 12:04 AM
I feel like I have played 90 mins, not just cos of the singing but also cos of the emotional stress of it.

Having said that I am remarkably relaxed. I don't think it's a disaster being relegated. In fact it's a blessing because we have a lot of youngsters who will get a chance to get some competitive games under their belts. Then we get promoted and we have a nucleus of young players with Premiership experience and young players ready to play at the highest level. I also believe we will have the infrastructure in place ((eg scouting + training ground etc) and that SJ will be in a position to invest.

Of course my mood will change if AJ or Dowie go cos I believe they are essential if we are to be successful.

Adlerhorst
16-05-2005, 12:13 AM
Couldn't face watching it live so went down my local to watch Southampton get relegated instead. Little did i know it but turns out the landlord has got Egytpian, Hungarian, Greek, Scandanavian TV etc (This would have been bloody useful for away games next season had we stayed up) Anyway he had all four games on so had to watch it.

Only one other Palace in there (we don't exactly overrun Belsize Park). Got pissed, all a bit numb at the end. Sobered up now, cold light of day and all that and i've got a hangover to top it all off. Cannot remember if that's four or five relegations i've experienced now (suspect five but was quite young first time round)

That said - already looking forward to next season. For every relegation there's usually a promotion.

arussell
16-05-2005, 12:16 AM
In the absence of ESB, London Pride and Marston's Pedigree have done Palace a fantastic service tonight ;)

solpadeine
16-05-2005, 12:30 AM
Been a rough day here in the States. Was up and down so many times this morning it just did me in. Went and took a nap and ended up sleeping most of the day away. My wife didnδt want to wake me knowing Iδd be in a foul mood. Been a crappy evening until I came across Aki's latest article for the Times. Really helped me out

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,27-1614339,00.html

Thanks Aki!

daz_eagle
16-05-2005, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by solpadeine
Been a rough day here in the States. Was up and down so many times this morning it just did me in. Went and took a nap and ended up sleeping most of the day away. My wife didnδt want to wake me knowing Iδd be in a foul mood. Been a crappy evening until I came across Aki's latest article for the Times. Really helped me out

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,27-1614339,00.html

Thanks Aki!

thanks. thanks aki.

DeadPanX
16-05-2005, 12:55 AM
Great thoughtful article by Aki.

Me I'm smiling. My motto in life is that you should take winning and losing in the same breath. I laughed and smiled when we promoted, I smiled today when Palace did me proud. We support a team like no other: Champions leagure finalist beaters one day, sh!t the next day.

We've held past champions at home, scored against the tightest defence, humbled local rivals and beat our sworn enemies. We've lost to poor teams, unable to hold leads, conceded in the dying minutes, missed penalties, scored outrageous own goals.

I've seen us lose to Port Vale when we were in administration where there seemed no light at the end of the tunnel, I've seen us promoted against every odd. Yes disappointed but this is the Palace I know and love from the darkest moments to the ecstatic times.

YES THIS IS THE PALACE WE LOVE AND HOLD, WHICH NO-ONE CAN TAKE THIS FEELING AWAY FROM US.

Dan Dan The Canadian Fan
16-05-2005, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
Too many beers, too many cigars. Not watching MOTD. Not looking forward to work tomorrow either.

Ah, the beauty of living in North America, so fewer people give a flying fvck!!! The mockery just doesn't hurt anything like as bad. I certainly don't miss living in England come relegation time. I've had quite a few!! :(

maestro
16-05-2005, 01:00 AM
where did you get that article from deadpan?

christopher
16-05-2005, 02:28 AM
Just got in from work :( Feel gutted.

CP Satellite
16-05-2005, 02:40 AM
I wonder what Bill Shankly would have said? Well, never mind - he's dead, but although it doesn't feel like it, we're still alive and we get the chance to things all over again next season - other clubs have interesting seasons - but nobody does it quite like Palace! We will be back!

Hadham Eagle
16-05-2005, 07:09 AM
Coping?? pretty good really..tough day for all the 4 teams supporters..at least for a while we had our own fate in our own hands, at least the team went and gave it all and we did finally finish 3rd from bottom..not rock bottom!

I didn't have a ticket for the Charlton game, so I took off to Norfolk for the day. On the trip up I saw loads of coaches ferrying Norwich fans to Fulham...all full of enthusiasm....and I saw the same fans on their way home.....very very subdued..that made me feel a lot more philosophical about what had happened to us..had we been in their position before 3pm yesterday..then I would have been gutted.

Now looking forward to next season and hoping we can keep as many of the squad together as possible. I've followed Palace since my first game in 1969 and like many others had the big "highs" and "lows"... this after all is Palace we support, and as Cris (Grim Reaper) once put in an article in OMP..."remember, you're Palace and proud of it!"

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
16-05-2005, 10:16 AM
I'm having a no-talking day at work. I am communicating with facial signs only. Nods, shakes of the head, rolls of the eyes, etc.

And I think I might well put my phone on divert and piss off early from work today.

Ruskin Old Boy
16-05-2005, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels

And I think I might well put my phone on divert and piss off early from work today.

I've done the phone divert.

Surprised by the generous commiseration from Gills, L'pool and hamsters colleagues. Bit taken aback by the obvious delight of our relegation by a Pompey; looking forward to seeing them relegated next season with the lowest points total ever:grrr:

HappyLarry
16-05-2005, 10:27 AM
Its amazing how many people want to talk to you about football the day after you've been relegated (you must be gutted, how bad was it a charlton, etc,etc, blah, blah, bloody blah.....) yet bizarrely weren't so keen after you had just beaten them 3 - 0.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
16-05-2005, 10:32 AM
And most of them are patronising turds who have never been to game in their lives but quickly turn the conversation from Palace to the potential financial plight of ManU or how Arsenal need to win the title next year and their new stadium or who Chelski should buy closed-season yadda yadda piss off you plastic tossers.

Gooders
16-05-2005, 12:30 PM
I'm still quite down - but when I need cheering up I just have to think about the cocky canaries getting stuffed 6-0, and I brighten a bit.

As suspected, you wouldn't want people like Huckerby in the trenches with you when the going gets tough eh? :)

SKATE
16-05-2005, 02:49 PM
I'm skiving.... brought some work home this morning with every good intention, but I've been mostly on here instead and I lost £1.65 on online roulette. :angel:

patch
16-05-2005, 02:54 PM
Time has ticked away very slowly today - I can only hope that tommorrow will be better!

SKATE
16-05-2005, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by patch
Time has ticked away very slowly today - I can only hope that tommorrow will be better!

I know exactly what you mean.

grahampoint
16-05-2005, 03:07 PM
never bothered going to work. sad all over.

Malakite
16-05-2005, 03:12 PM
I am not coping at all

Anerley Eagle
16-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Tired and Hungover, Feel gutted, People in the office keep asking me what happened when the final whistle went and stuff, feel myself welling up when asked about it.

st albans
16-05-2005, 03:29 PM
tired, v hungover, but apart from that ok, been through a couple now so getting used to it

Harry Holmesdale
16-05-2005, 03:45 PM
Tired and hungover but looking forward to next season and feeling very optimistic because:

Dowie IS staying and the majority of the side will now stay cos of this very reason, look at Wigan and sunderland this year, that could, sorry will be us !!!

Remember you cannot experience highs without lows and we did have major luck to get in and win thos play offs, perhaps that just kinda ran out..

rhiannapaul
16-05-2005, 03:45 PM
watched motd wasn't to bad only ourselves to blame but this morning sky sports news on its repeat loop the more i watched Brom celebrate i snapped shouting f*** Off at the telly (very mature ) stomped off to work the blokes not to bad they knew to leave me alone except 2 both bloody Cockney reds (hate them ) i just said f**k off i have a knife in my desk they got the message

Marki
16-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Conversation from work this morning...

Colleague (on overhearing end of conversation between me and other Palace fan in the office re we'll be straight back etc) : "Oh I wasn't going to mention the football today"

Me 'Ok then'

Colleague - 'Are you disappointed?'

Me - 'No - I'm deliriously happy. What do you think?"

Colleague - 'Oh I only meant because it was so close…'

Me - 'I'd leave it if I were you - dickhead questions like that are not useful'

Various disgruntled burblings about 'I won't mention it then….'

This coming from a supposed Arsenal fan who generally when questioned about her teams performance over the weekend responds with "Ooh it was too nerve racking/tense too watch". Didn't see it then?

Plastic fans... give me strength.

Duffle Coat
16-05-2005, 04:01 PM
I feel really pissed off tbh. I thought I wouldn't mind it so much but it pisses me right off to think of playing Brighton et al. I didn't sleep until 4 this morning and got up at 7. Some words of sympathy in work didn't help either. It matters more than I thought. We have to get back next season otherwise I'll go crazy. Why oh why did bloody Charlton have to score ? What was in it for them ? I really want to get even with them next time. Let's send them into administration some day.

NRM the 2nd
16-05-2005, 04:22 PM
Today was always going to be hell. All the papers full of doom and gloom and WBA celebrations on all back pages. Also wish i'd worn a sign round my neck at work today saying, "yes we're down, yes it was horrible now f~ck off and leave me alone."

I think i'd have rather lost 6 0 than come so close and for the second week running be saying "so close, if only"

Lost it yesterday, even though the realisation set in after the equaliser, hearing that whistle just made me lose my emotions and sob like a baby. I suppose im glad the uncertainty is over and for once look forward to the break just to recharge. It just seemed the omens were there. Doug coming on and once again when we really needed it doing the business (for which I offered to perform oral sex on him if we survived, strange what footy can do to you) then an AJ penalty. For the first time since higginbottoms equaliser I dared to dream.

Gutted

Miss Dee
16-05-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by rikp
Rule 1: dont watch MOTD on days like this!

I wish i'd read this before I watched it. I was just so desperate to see Dougie's goal that I had to watch it. Big mistake. I'd managed not to cry all day until I saw the reaction of the West Brom players and supporters when the news of our result came through. I just couldn't help thinking that we had come so so close to being the ones who would've been celebrating. Like most people on here I had very little sleep last night, kept waking up and sitting up in bed. Woke at 6.30am, an hour before my alarm, watched sky sports news, another mistake, drove to work, for some reason became emotional when I saw my kit sticker hanging on the back window, dried my tears and then had to put up with constant reminders from the hammers fan at work (i really hope they lose on wednesday)

So to answer the question I'm not coping very well, but I keep reminding myself that I've loved this football club for about 12 years now, and this relegation is not going to change that. I'll be there in August, just as stressed and emotional as I have been all season.

cpfc4ever
16-05-2005, 04:36 PM
today wa hard people taking the piss etc, argh!

AndyStreet
16-05-2005, 04:39 PM
I'm getting progressively more pissed off.

Chris K
16-05-2005, 04:46 PM
Walked into work to be greated by a cheesy grin and 'morning' from a mockney hamster. Then sat at my desk about 5 mins had a plactic manc say 'you're very quiet today Chris', to which i replied 'yeah well funnily enough i don't feel like talking right now'. Thankfully he humbly said 'oh i best leave that one there then'. As i've got another diehard Palace opposite me everyone seemed to avoid the subject as i think they knew they'd get shot down in seconds.

fish finger
16-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Did the home early from work bit. And did absolutely no work. I think the feelin is gettin worse. Newspapers are driving me mad. Our misfortune is making front pages of even the broadsheets. And thats rubbing it in by showing just how big the Premier League that were leaving really is.

fish finger
16-05-2005, 05:02 PM
but just sold my chelsea programme on ebay for £45 - more than the ticket to the match.

Eagle Andy
16-05-2005, 05:10 PM
I feel empty. It is the feeling of just losing your girlfriend, but the manor of the way we went feels that she ran off with my best friend. It's the double hit of not managing to secure your own safety and having it taken from your local rivals.

Relegation before has been spread over a number of games of harsh realisation. This went from utter jubilation to nothing in 8 minutes. I didn't think I would be feeling so bad as I do now. But this post helps me know I'm not the only one!

I felt angry after watching MOTD because it was a goal we shouldn't have let in at ANY stage of the season let alone with 8 minutes to safety.

At the beginning of the season I thought we would go down, especially after the first 6 games and lacking in new players. But there we were with 8 minutes to go and everything in our own hands.

The uplighting feeling of winning the play-offs stayed with me all over summer. I hope this sadness goes quicker. It seems like a long time before the season starts again......

SKATE
16-05-2005, 05:38 PM
I'm knackered - tomorrow will be better without the depressive hangover

kolinkins
16-05-2005, 05:41 PM
I am doing ok, apart from everytime I see the pictures of bloody Bryan Robson covered in a huge smile and alcohol

strawberry mivi
16-05-2005, 05:57 PM
how aki could write that article - being relegated left me angry and upset, but aki just brought a tear to my eye.
puts everything into perspective

Duffle Coat
16-05-2005, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by AndyStreet
I'm getting progressively more pissed off.

Me too Andy. Though the pissed off feeling is transmuting into downright anger towards Charlton. Btw I am drinking a glass of Racine VINO

Soul Music
16-05-2005, 06:31 PM
Just over a week ago I thought
"It's not in our hands anymore" - so I came to terms with it.
Yesterday - I was full of hope again.
Afterwards I said "Well I knew that was going to happen - resigned to it".
Since then I have gone progressively downhill; having accepted relegation as inevitable a week ago, I am going through some form of post traumatic stress syndrome - I am in deep mourning right now.

moi
16-05-2005, 06:41 PM
I dont think it has sunk in yet, im not really down bout being in the Championship, its more the players that we could lose, and the fact we wont be on Football First or Match Of The Day next season

c_block_lad
16-05-2005, 07:36 PM
Had my Palace shirt on all day.

Some saw my shirt and gave me a smug smile in Croydon High Street this morning, apart from that it's been O.K.

follow cpfc
16-05-2005, 07:52 PM
im fine about it we had a bloody good go and obviously our best wasent good enough. We will be back thats what keeps me going

lightweight
16-05-2005, 08:25 PM
I didn't want to go to work cos I didn't want everyone to be mentioning it - & then I though - it's not like anyone's died is it!

I did snap someone's head off that said it's only a game... after all I'd already heard that few times grrr!

Benzhiyi
16-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Been in a daze all day. Most people at work very sympathetic.

However, as this evening has progressed it's begun to hurt more and more. So many "what ifs" that keep running through my mind, in no order whatsoever. Dean Kiely's penalty save in the home game. The amazing reflex stop from Routledge's Exocet volley. The dying embers of the Saints game. Butts going to sleep for Charlton's opener. Leigertwood's silly foul, followed by Popovic failing to jump, followed by Gabor's flap. The glorious relief of Doog's equaliser, the sheer elation after AJ's pen, all agonisingly torn away in one wretched instant. The harrowing sight of Wayne crying, a reminder that this so-called mercenary is really just a lost, misled young boy (and the even more depressing thought that next time we see him he'll probably be greeted with a cacophony of jeers). West Brom's ludicrously fortunate point at Man City, when they failed to have a shot on goal. Man Utd's profligacy last weekend, 'ironically' against their former son. I know none of that matters now. But it doesn't stop it hurting.

Then I think about half time at Ewood Park. 0-1 down, hopeless, watching another shoddy display against a side little better than us. Just like the home games against Charlton, Boro, Pompey, even Bolton. Is that what the Premiership is about? Clinging on, week in, week out, praying you'll be lucky enough to pick up a point, hoping that by some miracle you snatch three? I don't think I've enjoyed a football match since the Birmingham home game. Since then, every game has been a test of nerve, a horrible rollercoaster of emotion that, more often than not, has ended in misery.

It may be like that in the Championship. But at least we can approach next season with hope, not dread. That's what I keep reminding myself every time I get that sick feeling in my stomach over yesterday, replaying Fortune's goal in my mind again and again. It doesn't always work, but it's the best crutch I - we - are going to get right now.

kolinkins
16-05-2005, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Benzhiyi

It may be like that in the Championship. But at least we can approach next season with hope, not dread. That's what I keep reminding myself every time I get that sick feeling in my stomach over yesterday, playing Fortune's goal in my mind again and again. It doesn't always work, but it's the best crutch I - we - are going to get right now.

thats what I was thinking - I want to support a Premiership club, but I cant face a relegation fight every year - it's draining.

Rather like wanting a really fit bird - the chase is thrilling, and when you get her, it's good and worth it, but maintenance is draining, and hunt seems appealing again all of a sudden!

Mat ov CPFC
16-05-2005, 09:06 PM
Well I have had a horrible non productive day but tommorrow is going to be a whole lot better.

Following the relegation in 1993 I was distraught for an entire week ( or rather it took a week for it to sink in ) but this one is not so bad.

This time next year we will all be celebrating so lets look forward rather than back.

kolinkins
16-05-2005, 09:08 PM

lets look forward rather than back.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? :)

hong_kong_hg
16-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Some great posts here - brilliant stuff Benzhiyi - couldn't put it any better.

On the one hand this has been the downer from hell. On the other hand I've enjoyed this season so much, seeing nearly every game - I'd even go so far as to say this season has been second only to 1990-91 when I saw every single game.

Maybe it's just because I'm offski to the east in a few weeks but I can't help feeling that amongst the deep gloom in the pit of my stomach come August there is going to be quite a bit of positivity around Selhurst Park. 05/06 could be a great year.

Duffle Coat
16-05-2005, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Benzhiyi
the sheer elation after AJ's pen,

I have never celebrated a goal like that. I totally lost control. I scared myself. I was watching a stream on the net, a Serbian channel with Radio London in the b'ground. When we scored, I nearly went through the computer screen. What a feeling. It was a real positive on a dismal day.

Malakite
16-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by follow cpfc
im fine about it we had a bloody good go and obviously our best wasent good enough. We will be back thats what keeps me going The problem for me was that in my opinion, our WAS in fact good enough, it was the lack of referee skills and totally wrong decisions that sent us down :(

nicebutdim
16-05-2005, 10:07 PM
Today wasn't too bad at all. My therapy was to wear my shirt, keep the rednblue ribbons flying from my car aerial, put my bar scarf on the parcel shelf and tell all the Charlton supporters that I met today (I live 20 mins walk from the Valley) in a loud voice how proud I was of my club and that we would be back before they knew it. To be honest all the Addicks I spoke to today young and old were quite sensitive (unlike one or two that have posted on here) - perhaps they saw my clenched and primed fists!

After 35 years supporting Palace I guess I'm now at the stage where I'm used to and even relish the buzz of supporting a club that will at once surprise, delight and infuriate.

That's my Palace and I love 'em (bless!):love:

Jimbo ?
16-05-2005, 11:16 PM
Had a really bad day (big time) last week and have recovred from that and after the palace game I really wasnt to bothered. It was that whole idea of it not sinking in. always thought i knew what people meant but until now I had no idea. starting to sink in now but really havent hit rock bottom as I expected. andas I am going to southampton Uni next year at least i will have a local game

Benzhiyi
17-05-2005, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by kolinkins
thats what I was thinking - I want to support a Premiership club, but I cant face a relegation fight every year - it's draining.

Exactly.

Once the elation has worn off for West Brom, the fact remains that they have another "nine months of hell" (c. Sir Steve) to look forward to.

I'd still rather be in their position, of course. Most of us would. And the more relegation sinks in, the more it hurts. But if we hang onto Dowie and get off to a flyer there could yet be plenty to look forward to next season.

As Zonin said on another thread, it could be worse. You could support Charlton.

stupalace
17-05-2005, 09:22 AM
it will be okay once we start playing again , its the wait thats the killer