PDA

View Full Version : End of Season Player Review & Ratings

glaziers fan
16-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Kiraly 8.5 Some outstanding saves. Transformed our season but some mistakes
Speroni 5 Mistakes and poor on crosses

Granville 5.5 Had a good spell mid-season, and scored 3 goals, but was poor at the beginning and at the end. Gives the ball away too often, is too slow, can't get forward, and isn't a great defender. Expendible
Borrowdale 5 Only played a few times, and looked out of his depth, but he is a talented kid and will improve. Championship will be good for him.

Popovic 6.5 A mixed bag but organised the defence well and not totally out of his depth.
Hall 7.5 Showed his talents with superb goals and tight defending on the whole. Is definitely Premiership class
Sorondo 8 Class act. Will be missed
Hudson 5.5 Quite slow and poor positionally but good in the air and a decent tackler
Powell 6 Same as Hudson but not as slow.

Boyce 8.5 Find of the season. The progress he made this season was amazing. The season in the Championship will do him good.
Butterfield 5.5 Never adapted to pace of Premiership football. Will he play right midfield next season?

Kolkka 6 Some cracking goals, good pace, but not involved enough. NOT Gray's replacement
Lakis 5 One good performance against Villa doesn't excuse his missed sitters and poor performances

Hughes 8 He may have lost the pace but he still has the ability to play at the highest level. Heart and desire from the skipper. He will help the youngsters coming through
Aki 7 Played well at the beginning especially. Passing improved. Lack of mobility exposed though and with the youngsters coming through, his days are numbered.
Leigertwood 7.5 Another masterstroke by Dowie. He looks like a decent defensive midfielder in the making. Superb pace, incredible strength, good tackling and can run the ball. Needs to improve passing.
Watson 7.5 Is Premiership class, and had a decent season, but hopefully the season in the Championship will improve his desire, confidence and energy to get forward more. Has improved defensively. Will never forget his performance against Viera.

Soares 7 Showed strength, pace and talent. Championship experience will be good for him.
Routledge 7.5 Our one creative outlet, but not enough end product, especially in terms of a goal return. Will be sorely missed though.

AJ 9 Made the step up to Premiership football with ease. Superb pace, scored goals. The English answer to Tierry Henry.
Torghelle 6 Inconsistent. Has talent though. Will he be here next season?
Freedman 6.5 Palace legend. Superb performance in Charlton game. Real creativity through the middle doesn't disguise the fact that he has lost pace and is not a Premiership quality striker. Should be given a coaching role and should be on the bench ready to play behind the strikers when needed.
Andrews 5 Effort but no talent.
Ventola 7.5 Class act, great goal against Soton which I will always remember. Will be truly missed.

Cleon
16-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Can't say I really disagree with much of that.

st albans
16-05-2005, 11:19 AM
agree with it all

Lion
16-05-2005, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Cleon
Can't say I really disagree with much of that.

Same as.

LLCOOLSTEVE
16-05-2005, 11:20 AM
Watson isnt Premiership class.

RDSdaEAGLE
16-05-2005, 11:26 AM
Harsh on Granville too, as he's been far more consistent than the likes of Watson, Popovic, Powell.

glaziers fan
16-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE
Watson isnt Premiership class.

You don't outplay Viera unless you have something about you. Yes, Watson needs to improve, and become more consistent, but he is amazing technically, is 2 footed, and the best passer at the club.

Justin
16-05-2005, 11:30 AM
After AJ I think Watson is our most valuable player. I really would not to see him leave and think he is an outstanding prospect.

glaziers fan
16-05-2005, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
Harsh on Granville too, as he's been far more consistent than the likes of Watson, Popovic, Powell.

He's had his fair share of shockers, eg the last 2 games where it has really mattered. Maybe he deserves a 6 though cos he was consistent for about 15 games in the middle of the season.

LLCOOLSTEVE
16-05-2005, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
You don't outplay Viera unless you have something about you. Yes, Watson needs to improve, and become more consistent, but he is amazing technically, is 2 footed, and the best passer at the club.

He is a good player and will become a very good player, hopefully, but right now he is not Premiership class, if he was he's have started more often....

glaziers fan
16-05-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Justin
After AJ I think Watson is our most valuable player. I really would not to see him leave and think he is an outstanding prospect.

He's certainly one of the most talented and I really want to see him progress next season and get forward more and score more goals.

RDSdaEAGLE
16-05-2005, 11:36 AM
He's had his fair share of shockers, eg the last 2 games where it has really mattered. Maybe he deserves a 6 though cos he was consistent for about 15 games in the middle of the season.

He wasn't responsible for any of the goals we conceeded in the last 2 games. You might blame him for not stopping Higginbotham's goal, but in terms of marking, he followed his man, it was the left mid (Routledge at the time) who should have tracked him.

And in yesterdays game, he again had little responsibility for either of the goals. Both came due to mistakes on the right hand side, firstly Butterfield then Leigertwood.

So I still don't get your rating for him.

nellis
16-05-2005, 11:37 AM
Watson isn't our 2nd most valuable player!!!
Kiraly, Hall, Hughes, Aki and even Routledge put in performances which were head and shoulders above Watson.
The reason the ginger one wasn't playing for the middle of the season was that he was out of his depth and anonymous when starting games earlier in the season.
I agree he's a terrific passer, and potential dead ball expert, and has great promise, but to say that he's our 2nd most valuable player is a despicable insults to those who stood up to be counted this season.
If we could have only played 1 central midfielder this season then without doubt Hughes would have been it. He's been magnificent. Both him and Aki played above their abilities.

glaziers fan
16-05-2005, 11:37 AM
He is a good player and will become a very good player, hopefully, but right now he is not Premiership class, if he was he's have started more often....

In my opinion the reason he didn't start more is because, although he is getting stronger, he is still quite lightweight and when we have Hughes and Routledge in the midfield, Dowie wanted some height and strength in there too.

He's certainly no worse than Soares (started almost the same number of games) and I hope they will both be regulars in the Premiership with Crystal Palace in 2 seasons time:)

Marshy
16-05-2005, 11:40 AM
Ventola 7.5 Class act, great goal against Soton which I will always remember. Will be truly missed.

Good goal against Saints (offside tho ;)) apart from that to call him a class act based on a sum total of 3 Sub appearances is somewhat misguided.

Justin
16-05-2005, 11:41 AM
I think you will find he was not played more in late 2004 and 2005 because it was felt that he was not quite so disciplined after his great performance against Arsenal.

glaziers fan
16-05-2005, 11:46 AM
He wasn't responsible for any of the goals we conceeded in the last 2 games. You might blame him for not stopping Higginbotham's goal, but in terms of marking, he followed his man, it was the left mid (Routledge at the time) who should have tracked him.

And in yesterdays game, he again had little responsibility for either of the goals. Both came due to mistakes on the right hand side, firstly Butterfield then Leigertwood.

So I still don't get your rating for him.

I don't blame him for Higginbotham's goal. We were all over the place as a team for that one and he had 3 players to mark which is not right.

I don't blame him for either of the goals against Charlton but he was very poor. Failed to get forward enough (always cuts back and certainly no crosses into the box) and it was disturbing the number of times he was outmuscled when on the ball. Just because they didn't score because of him doesn't mean he had a good game.

His distribution for a full-back is pretty poor and I think that over the course of the season you will find there are more goals that are his fault than any other defender.

There's no way he is Premiership class, and despite being out of contract, there won't be Prem teams rushing in for him, like they will be for Routledge for example.

glaziers fan
16-05-2005, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Justin
I think you will find he was not played more in late 2004 and 2005 because it was felt that he was not quite so disciplined after his great performance against Arsenal.

Disciplined on the pitch during matches, or off the pitch and on the training ground?

Reps AJ
16-05-2005, 11:49 AM

Eh? Will be missed? By whom? He played about 20 minutes of the season, I've no idea what he cost in terms of wages but I bet that goal works out quite expensive!

The rest of the squad was about right, give or take a few, but you've let yourself down at the end there :D

macstar
17-05-2005, 12:57 PM
Donno if its worth it but here goes (out of 10.)

Kiraly 8
Speroni 5
Granville 6
Hall 7
Sorondo 7
Powell 6
Borrowdale 6
Popovic 6
Hudson 5
Boyce 7
Riihillati 7
Hughes 7
Soares 6
Watson 6
Routledge 7
Kolkka 7
Lakis 6
A Johnson 8 *Gotta win player of the season*
Torghelle 6
Freedman 6
Leigertwood 6
Ventola 6
Andrews 5
Butterfield 6

;)

Trilby
17-05-2005, 01:13 PM
Kiraly 8
Speroni 5
Granville 6
Hall 7
Sorondo 7
Powell 5
Borrowdale 5
Popovic 5
Hudson 5
Boyce 8
Riihillati 7
Hughes 9
Soares 5
Watson 5
Routledge 8
Kolkka 7
Lakis 5
A Johnson 10
Torghelle 5
Freedman 7
Leigertwood 7
Ventola 7
Andrews 5
Butterfield 6

smileysmith
17-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Kiraly 8
Speroni 5
Granville 6
Hall 7
Sorondo 8
Powell 6
Borrowdale 6
Popovic 6
Hudson 6
Boyce 8
Riihillati 8
Hughes 8
Soares 7
Watson 6
Routledge 8
Kolkka 7
Lakis 5
A Johnson 9
Torghelle 6
Freedman 7
Leigertwood 7
Ventola 6
Andrews 5
Speroni 5
Butterfield 5

Panther
17-05-2005, 01:29 PM
Rather a lot of 7s and 8s for a team that got relegated, I'd say.

screamingalice
17-05-2005, 01:33 PM
In the main they all deserve 10 for effort, team spirit and that never give up attitude. Sure one or two were left a bit short, but bearing in mind most of the squad were playing above themselves, they did a great job to be so close to staying up.

While A.J. and one or two others were in general better as individuals we only did so well as a team and therefore they all deserve a big fat 10 and a huge thank you for giving it a real go, we could ask for nothing more.

Have to say that out of almost 50 seasons, following the Palace I feel this has been one of the best. Not in terms of winning matches but in entertainment and passion both on the pitch and in the stands. Thanks to the players and Dowie we have won back our pride and respect in the football world and have a great opportunity to make big strides forward in the next few years as long as everybody keeps their heads and the will is there to sort out the off field problems we have.

doof
17-05-2005, 01:37 PM
Kiraly 8
Speroni 3
Granville 6
Hall 7
Sorondo 7
Powell 5
Borrowdale 4
Popovic 6
Hudson 5
Boyce 8
Riihillati 7
Hughes 9
Soares 7
Watson 6
Routledge 7
Kolkka 6
Lakis 4
A Johnson 10
Torghelle 6
Freedman 7
Leigertwood 5
Ventola 6
Andrews 4
Butterfield 5

and...

Kaviedes 2
Shipperly 7 - for putting us up in the first place :p

WorthingEagle
17-05-2005, 01:37 PM
I had a spreadsheet going through the season (got to do something to pass the time at work). If I wasn't at the game or didn't see it on TV I took the consensus of BBS opinion.

Michael Hughes 7.31
Gonzalo Sorondo 7.15
Andy Johnson 7.08
Gabor Kiraly 7.06
Fitz Hall 7.00
Ben Watson 6.95
Aki Riihilahti 6.91
Emerson Boyce 6.89
Joonas Kolkka 6.78
Wayne Routledge 6.74
Tom Soares 6.68
Tony Popovic 6.65
Vasilis Lakis 6.58
Dougie Freedman 6.53
Danny Granville 6.51
Darren Powell 6.50
Danny Butterfield 6.43
Mikele Leigertwood 6.35
Mark Hudson 6.29
Shaun Derry 6.25
Sandor Torghelle 6.25
Julian Speroni 6.17
Wayne Andrews 6.13
Gary Borrowdale 5.86

davematt
17-05-2005, 01:44 PM
Kiraly -8- Fantastic performances and secured us alot of points
Speroni -5- Very poor. Not confident enough
Boyce - 8- Coming from Luton, he exceeded expectations.
Butterfied -4- When given the chance he was very poor
Hudson -5- The pace was way too much for Mark
Popovic -6- Some good games, some shockers (Fulham away)
Hall -7- If his distribution was better, I would give him a 8
Sorondo -9- Best defender by far. Composed and we were better with him
Powell -6- Good squad player but not good enough week in week out
Granville -6- The word Solid comes to mind. Made some costly mistakes though
Borrowdale -5- Never given a chance, but did Ok when called upon
Aki -7- Great period in October/November, but had a poor 2nd half of season
Hughes -9- Outstanding. 33 years of age and getting better
Leighterwood -7- Brillaint one week, awful the other. Too Casual
Watson -8- Impressed many times, A future star at this club
Soares -8- Another great story. Would have learnt alot
Routledge -9- Fantastic. Had a say in most good things we done this season
Lakis -5- Very poor. Didn't have the commitment
Kolkka - 6- Not the impact we would have hoped for
Torghelle -4- Very poor. Didnt get the chance to impress though
Andrews -4- Never given a chance, and probably for the best
Shipperley -0- Cant rate him as he didnt play
Freedman -5- Scored a great goal, but thats it.
Ventola -6- Did more than the others and only played 60 minutes
AJ -11- Simply breathtaking. Had so mych pressure on him week in week out but continued to deliver the goods. Palace Legend, Premiership Class!

Dowie -9- Would have got 10 but for some iffy selection/tactical decisions. But he is young and will learn

Fans -10- Two words: THE BEST!!!

DANGERMOUSE
17-05-2005, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by WorthingEagle
I had a spreadsheet going through the season (got to do something to pass the time at work). If I wasn't at the game or didn't see it on TV I took the consensus of BBS opinion.

Shaun Derry 6.25

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Good idea though, Worthing, if slightly geeky. ;)

glaziers fan
17-05-2005, 02:50 PM
Loved Ventola's passion though.

TheCharmer
17-05-2005, 03:01 PM
Don't agree with Popovic s rating s or those of Leighterwood, who was clearly out of his depth in midfield. And very harsh on Granville.

Velocity
17-05-2005, 03:04 PM
Leigertwood 7.5 Another masterstroke by Dowie. He looks like a decent defensive midfielder in the making. Superb pace, incredible strength, good tackling and can run the ball. Needs to improve passing.

Yes an amazing masterstroke.

/sarcasm

Velocity
17-05-2005, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Marshy
Good goal against Saints (offside tho ;))

please don't make me post a video

davematt
17-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Kiraly -8- Fantastic performances and secured us alot of points
Speroni -5- Very poor. Not confident enough
Boyce - 8- Coming from Luton, he exceeded expectations.
Butterfied -4- When given the chance he was very poor
Hudson -5- The pace was way too much for Mark
Popovic -6- Some good games, some shockers (Fulham away)
Hall -7- If his distribution was better, I would give him a 8
Sorondo -9- Best defender by far. Composed and we were better with him
Powell -6- Good squad player but not good enough week in week out
Granville -6- The word Solid comes to mind. Made some costly mistakes though
Borrowdale -5- Never given a chance, but did Ok when called upon
Aki -7- Great period in October/November, but had a poor 2nd half of season
Hughes -9- Outstanding. 33 years of age and getting better
Leighterwood -7- Brillaint one week, awful the other. Too Casual
Watson -8- Impressed many times, A future star at this club
Soares -8- Another great story. Would have learnt alot
Routledge -9- Fantastic. Had a say in most good things we done this season
Lakis -5- Very poor. Didn't have the commitment
Kolkka - 6- Not the impact we would have hoped for
Torghelle -4- Very poor. Didnt get the chance to impress though
Andrews -4- Never given a chance, and probably for the best
Shipperley -0- Cant rate him as he didnt play
Freedman -5- Scored a great goal, but thats it.
Ventola -6- Did more than the others and only played 60 minutes
AJ -11- Simply breathtaking. Had so mych pressure on him week in week out but continued to deliver the goods. Palace Legend, Premiership Class!

Dowie -9- Would have got 10 but for some iffy selection/tactical decisions. But he is young and will learn

Fans -10- Two words: THE BEST!!!

Ivinho
17-05-2005, 03:29 PM

AJ 9 The English answer to Tierry Henry.

:eek:

Cleon
17-05-2005, 04:08 PM
End of season report

1 Julian Speroni

There were high hopes for this accomplished shot-stopper at the start of the season, but the long haired goalie from Dundee showed a nervous streak which lost his place after only five matches. During those games some high-profile blunders saw Palace collect only 1 point, away at newly promoted Norwich. The success of Gabor Kiraly meant that Speroni never managed to get his place back, and there remain big question marks over his ability to command the defence. Even if Kiraly was to move on, Speroni may continue to have to play second fiddle to another incoming keeper.

Grade: E

2 Danny Butterfield

A very disappointing year all over for a player who had performed better than most over the previous 2 seasons. Unfortunate to be injured in pre-season, his position was quickly usurped by Emerson Boyce, and despite a number of opportunities to get back into the team, Butterfield failed to hold down his place. His lack of height and pace has been exposed by the pressures of the Premiership. Still a excellent player in the Championship, Butterfield may find it difficult to get his old place back in the near future.

3 Danny Granville

The generally woeful performances we'd become accustomed to from Danny Granville had all but disappeared once Iain Dowie had arrived at the club, but the nagging doubt remained that he would be caught out in the Premiership. And, despite a generally better than expected season, Danny Granville has been caught out at several crucial moments, including being largely at fault for the loss of valuable points at home to Charlton and Southampton. Granville's contract has now expired, and most conclude that a better left back is now needed.

Grade: D+

5 Mark Hudson

The much sought defender finally signed after some substantial negotiations with everyone's favourite department store owner, and was widely tipped to make the grade. But a lack of pace was quickly exposed, and Hall's retreat into defense meant that Hudson was squeezed out for the second spot by Popovic and Sorondo. Still a good reader of the game, Sorondo and potentially Powell's departures mean that Hudson will be expected to step back into the team next season.

6 Tony Popovic

One of the few players considered to have Premiership potential, Popovic has largely failed to live upto expectations this season. A couple of spectacular own goals marred his performances early on, but again a lack of pace hasn't helped and he really should have dealt with the ball in against Charlton away that ultimately saw us relegated. Into his final year of contract at Selhurst, there are unlikely to be too many suitors seeking his signature, so he will no doubt vie with Hudson and Hall for the central defensive spots in 2005/06.

Grade: D-

7 Wayne Routledge

The only ever present in the team during our Premiership campaign, Wayne racked up more assists than any other Palace player. Brilliant and frustrating in equal measure, he also raised the heckles of the fans by declining the offer of a new contract shortly before his 20th birthday. Sadly relegation makes his departure even more likely, and one has to question his judgement if he chooses to go to the home of the moaners at White Hart Lane. Good bye Wayne, and good luck.

Grade: A-

8 Andrew Johnson

The question marks remained over Andy Johnson's ability replicate his Division One form in the Premiership, and the early comparisons were between AJ and Darren Huckerby. By the end of the season AJ was being compared to Thierry Henry and Michael Owen, earned his first England cap, score 21 goals in a season for a relegated football team, and shown himself to be a true hero throughout. A player that many believe has more potential than Ian Wright, AJ will be tempted by the dark side over the close season, and we can only hope Iain Dowie can persuade Johnson to stay at Palace for at least one more season.

Grade: A+

9 Dougie Freedman

The former favourite had started the previous season with a hat-trick, but fell out of favour once previous manager Steve Kember's plan to build the game around him had collapsed. Has been inconsistent in the few chances he's been given, from the sublime to the ridiculous, Dougie has done little but prove that he doesn't have what it takes to make it in the Premiership. Still a decent player in the Championship, Dougie will need to consider his options, but it seems unlikely that he'll be the top striker at a club like Palace again.

Grade: C-

10 Sandor Torghelle

Fighting off competition from the second tier of Dutch football might have suggested something, but Torghelle finally signed for Palace just before the start of the season, and early form suggested we'd found a great signing. An injury set him back, and the newly successful 4-5-1 formation left little room for chances before being dislodged from the secondary striker role by Dougie Freedman following a petulant display against Blackburn at home. Still a player of promise, relegation may well provide Torghelle with the opportunity to shine.

Grade: D

11 Neil Shipperley

The club captain and play-off final hero from last year was always going to find the step up difficult. Good support play hid a poor goal scoring record in Division One, and question marks remained over his fitness even before the season started. With nothing more than a couple of substitute appearances to his name, Shipps must be considering his future again, and it wouldn't surprise anyone to see him moving on to pastures new again.

Grade: F

12 Mikele Leigertwood

Iain Dowie's one signing of the previous campaign seemed to have disappeared into the murky world of reserve team football early on in the season, but has proved that he has a future as a defensive midfielder since the start of the new year. Still lacking in some technical aspects to his game, Leigertwood has proved he has the heart to develop, and will be an integral part of Crystal Palace next season. Retains the potential to be a Premiership quality player again in the future.

Grade: C

14 Ben Watson

A player many had marked out as the most exciting product of our youth academy in the previous season, Ben Watson took his chance with both hands when offered it early on. The highlight of the season, when he played Patrick Vieria off the park at Selhurst, turned out to be his undoing, when he seemed to allow his potential to go to his head. A spell in the reserves followed, and Dowie seems now to have considered him to have been punished enough. A key player for Crystal Palace next year.

15 Aki Riihilahti

The most capped Palace player ever earned his new contract last summer, and chose to remain with Palace rather than accept the come-to-bed eyes from various German clubs. Riihilahti's performances have remained fairly consistent, and he remains a decent man-marker and defensive midfielder, and bizarrely finished the season as second highest goal-scorer with the faintly embarressing total of 4. Unless the Germans return, Riihilahti is likely to play a key part in our first attempt to return to the Premiership.

16 Tommy Black

As somebody who was a bit-part player in our march to the play-offs, Tommy Black was unlikely to play much of a part in our Premiership season. A rather inclusive spell on loan at Sheffield United was followed by an season ending injury, and it seems more likely that Black will be playing for another Championship club next season than Crystal Palace, if anybody can be found to take on his £4,010 per week contract.

Grade: F

17 Michael Hughes

Contract negotations seemed to go on for ages, but finally Michael Hughes signed an extension in the summer, and has been an inspirational force in midfield this season. Often appearing to be at the heart of every move, Hughes is the unsung hero. His contract has been extended again, and we can only hope those legs will continue to carry him back the Premiership at the first time of asking.

Grade: A

18 Gary Borrowdale

Often cited as a player of great potential, Borrowdale has failed to take the opportunities offered to him on a fairly regular basis. Failure to dispossess Danny Granville of his left back berth suggests that he's still nowhere near the finished article, and Borrowdale will need to impress soon or risk seeing his hope of regular first team football at Palace disappear.

19 Tom Soares

Tom who? Swarez, apparently, as we found out much later. Iain Dowie saw something in this young lad which most couldn't see, and by the end of the season he'd become a regular fixture. Definitely not the finished article, Soares has demonstrated that the future is bright in the middle of park with a possible long-term double act with Ben Watson. He will certainly be looking forward to the coming campaign as one in which he can establish himself as a long-term player for Palace.

20 Darren Powell

Hated by Sunderland fans at the start of the season, forgiven by them by the end of the season. Big Darren Powell was Dowie's final roll of the dice against Charlton, but lightening failed to strike twice. Limited appearances and inconsistent performances suggest that Powell may have played his final game for Palace, unless he accepts another low-pay contract. Will probably find another Championship club willing to take the cult hero on.

21 Emmerson Boyce

Most people mocked the idea of taking on a free transfer from Luton during the season as an example of Jordan's failure to deliver in the transfer market, but Boyce has proved to be an overwhelming success. His opportunity arrived before the first game when Butterfield's injury gave him a run in the team from which he hasn't looked back. Rewarded with a new contract already, Boyce will be looking forward to his first (and hopefully only) season in the Championship.

Grade: B+

22 Joonas Kolkka

A recommendation of fellow Finn, Aki Riihilahti, Kolkka has failed to deliver on his early promise. His enigmatic performances have varied from the outstanding (including several contenders for goal of the season) to the downright disinterested. Despite his best efforts, he doesn't appear to be the answer to the left-sided problem, and may well be off-loaded in the close season if another home can be found for him.

Grade: D+

23 Wayne Andrews

Brought to the club in a deal which took Gareth Williams away, Andrews never seemed likely to be make the jump from League One to the Premiership that Boyce did. He's got the pace. He's got the desire. He just ain't got the touch. A useful option, especially if Johnson is injured, Dowie will be tempted to retain him as a plan B, especially since he probably doesn't hurt the budget too much.

25 Fitz Hall

How Southampton fans must regret letting a promising young central defender go to a relegation rival. He would surely have given them the extra points which would have allowed them to avoid relegation. £1.5M seems a very fair price now, and as long as Dowie stays, it seems likely that Hall will as well. A leader at the back (not in midfield), he should have no problems in dealing with the mediocre attacks of Championship teams. A future captain.

Grade: B+

26 Gonzalo Sorondo

A great loan signing, Sorondo forced his way into the team following injury, and surely would have kept us up had he not been sent off for punching Southampton players (well you would, wouldn't you?) in the penultimate game of the season. His high wages mean that he'll be on his way back to Italy before the month is out, and maybe we can look him up in twelve months time?

Grade: B

27 Nicola Ventola

Every Palace Premiership campaign seems to require an injury-prone Italian, and Nicola Ventola fulfilled the role admirably. Early raising of hopes were dashed with news from the injury room, and Ventola's only contributions turned out to be scoring a goal against Southampton which raised our hopes, only to dash them all by giving the ball away to allow Southampton to equalise in the same game. Out of contract in the summer, his injury record is so poor that Dowie's unlikely to consider offering him a new one. At least the food will be better in Italy.

28 Gabor Kiraly

Kiraly is apparently Hungarian for 'King', and Kiraly has proven himself to be the best keeper at Palace since the Cornishman left. His tracksuit trousers raised a few eyebrows, but Kiraly gained Palace several points with some world-class goalkeeping. His only real howler was against Chelsea when he made the fateful decision not to wear the tracksuit bottoms, and ever since Dowie must be keeping some spare ones hidden just in case. If we can hold onto him for the coming season we stand a great chance of coming straight back up.

Grade: A

32 Vassilis Lakis

Lakis arrived on a free from AEK Athens, and is returning there eight months later with nothing much more to show than an assist against Arsenal, and a good display against Aston Villa. A peripheral player to the Greek squad that won the European Cup in 2004, he couldn't replicate the magic with a Palace team and his departure is not great loss to the team.

WorthingEagle
17-05-2005, 04:15 PM

Except for playing Bryan Hughes onside?

Richwak
17-05-2005, 06:10 PM
Kiraly 7.5
Speroni 6
Granville 6.5
Hall 7.5
Sorondo 7.5
Powell 6
Borrowdale 5
Popovic 6
Hudson 5
Boyce 8.5
Riihillati 7.5
Hughes 8.5
Soares 6
Watson 5
Routledge 7
Kolkka 7
Lakis 5
A Johnson 9.5
Torghelle 6
Freedman 6
Leigertwood 7.5
Ventola 7
Andrews 5
Butterfield 5

maestro
17-05-2005, 06:15 PM
Realistic marks based on their contributions last season

Kiraly 8
Speroni 4
Granville 5
Hall 7
Sorondo 7
Powell 5
Borrowdale 5
Popovic 5
Hudson 4
Boyce 6
Riihillati 6
Hughes 7
Soares 6
Watson 6
Routledge 7
Kolkka 6
Lakis 6
A Johnson 9
Torghelle 6
Freedman 6
Leigertwood 6
Ventola 4
Andrews 4
Butterfield 5

WorthingEagle
17-05-2005, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by DANGERMOUSE
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Good idea though, Worthing, if slightly geeky. ;)

slightly.......but staring at spreadsheets relating to Palace is much better than staring at spreadsheets relating to Insurance.

:p

Sussex Eagle
17-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Kiraly 9
Speroni 4
Granville 7
Hall 7
Sorondo 8
Powell 5
Borrowdale 4
Popovic 6
Hudson 2
Boyce 9
Riihilahti 8
Hughes 8
Soares 7
Watson 6
Routledge 8
Kolkka 7
Lakis 3
Johnson 10
Torghelle 4
Freedman 7
Leigertwood 7
Ventola 6
Andrews 3
Butterfield 3
Kaviedes 4

Duffle Coat
17-05-2005, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Trilby
Kiraly 8
Speroni 5
Granville 6
Hall 7
Sorondo 7
Powell 5
Borrowdale 5
Popovic 5
Hudson 5
Boyce 8
Riihillati 7
Hughes 9
Soares 5
Watson 5
Routledge 8
Kolkka 7
Lakis 5
A Johnson 10
Torghelle 5
Freedman 7
Leigertwood 7
Ventola 7
Andrews 5
Butterfield 6

Where's Derry ? :eek:

Mark Gardiner
17-05-2005, 08:33 PM
Speroni - 4
Butterfield - 5
Granville - 6
Hudson - 5
Popovic - 5
Routledge - 7
Johnson - 9
Freedman - 6
Torghelle - 5
Shipperley - 4
Leigertwood - 5
Watson - 6
Riihilahti - 7
Hughes - 7
Borrowdale - 5
Soares - 5
Powell - 6
Boyce - 7
Kolkka - 7
Andrews - 4
Hall - 6
Sorondo - 7
Ventola - 6
Kiraly - 8
Lakis - 4

popovic7
17-05-2005, 08:42 PM
Kiraly 8 amazin
Speroni 6 wasnt ready for the prem
Granville 7 coped well
Hall 8 developed well through out the season
Sorondo8 fantastic season
Powell 5 made no impact
Borrowdale6 one for the future
Popovic 6 nt realy given a chance
Hudson5 nt played much
Boyce 7 fantastic step up from league 1 to prem
Riihillati7 solid
Hughes9 the rock of our midfield never gave up
Soares 6 one for the future
Watson6 one for the future
Routledge8 amazin after he gt over the taunts from fans
Kolkka 7 not given a chance
Lakis 6 too much of a luxery for first season
A Johnson 10 the god of premiership football
Torghelle7 nt given a chance
Freedman 6 small impact
Leigertwood7 improved throught season
Ventola 5 to injury prone
Andrews 5 nt gd enough for prem cud be valuble in championship
Butterfield 6 boyce to good for butterfield to get into team

popovic7
17-05-2005, 08:43 PM
kaviedes 5 wud have been more valuble as a second season player no place for him in team really

fnord
17-05-2005, 09:03 PM
I'd have to agree with Hughes as MOS, AJ close behind for the goals natch

PeterH
17-05-2005, 09:10 PM
I have to say Freedman getting 6's and a lot of 7's when he waited to the last game to score his first goal, and Ventola missing two thirds at least of the season getting 6's and 7's, shows what a pile of w ank most of your ratings are. :p

Bit harsh to give a Sorondo or a Wayne Routledge or even an Aki a 7 at the same time.

Granted from afar, but I would give Ventola a 4 for looking the part the few times when fit, and Freedman a 5 for carry his wage packet in his shorts all season as that must have been what weighed him down.

I tell you what give Torghelle a 9 for getting injured playing for Hungary.

Brett
17-05-2005, 09:35 PM
PeterH gold.

forsells no1 fan
17-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Kiraly - 7.5
Speroni - 3
Butters - 5
Hall - 7
Sorondo - 7
Granville - 6
Boyce - 7
Powell - 5.5
Borrowdale - 5
Kolkaa - 6
Routledge - 6.5
Hudson - 5
Lakis - 5.5
Leigertwood - 6
Hughes - 8
Soares - 6.5
Torghelle - 5
Ventola - 6.5
AJ - 9
Freedman - 5.5
Andrews - 4

SpikeyMatt
17-05-2005, 09:54 PM
Kiraly - 9/10 - a man whose performances have kept us in, and won us games - showmanship combined with an awesome goalkeeping ability makes Gabor such a wonderful player to have

Speroni - 6/10 - suffered a mammoth hammer blow to his confidence with 'that' incident, time is the healer with him - he'll come good.

Boyce - 9/10 - Arguably the best signing of last summer - eyebrows were raised over his ability to make the step up - but he's overcome every doubter with great applomb.

Butterfield - 5/10 - a season plagued by injury, when coming into the side - highlighted how much we missed Boyce at right back, never really cut the Premiership mustard.

Granville - 7/10 - Most improved player this season for me, consistent in performance for the final two thirds of the campaign.

Borrowdale - 5/10 - never really got too much of an opportunity to be given a rating, got great potential though.

Hall - 7.5/10 - an astute piece of business from the Dowie brothers - has matured as a player as the season has worn on and has finished the season with a number of fantastic performances.

Sorondo - 8/10 - Cannot fault this fella one bit, so strong, composed and talented, can't see him staying but it was an honour to see a player of his calibre play for us.

Popovic - 7/10 - Shaky start to the campaign and was rightly dropped for a while. However, upon return came the Poppa of old - strong, great in the air and without doubt, the best 'reader' of the game at the club.

Hudson - 6/10 - One for next season, a bit tentative at times, impressive at times, but I shudder when the ball's at his feet, so poor in distribution

Powell - 6/10 - 'The darling of the Stadium of Light', dependable, strong and quite impressive at times, woeful at others.

Hughes - 9/10 - Captain marvel, absolutely astonishing season for a guy of his age. Reliable to put in a great performance, week in, week out - scored a great goal in a lovely piece of team play at home to Norwich

Riihilahti - 8/10 - Made the step up when a lot of doubters, including myself, thought he couldn't. Key player this season, think of the number of times that he was taken off and we conceded almost immediately - quality guy off the pitch too.

Watson - 7/10 - Definitely got the potential to be a top, top player - when playing earlier in the season, he was suffering a bit from being over-awed, but since playing bit-part roles in the side, he's matured as a player and is now looking to be a real danger when driving forward.

Soares - 6.5/10 - Feel sorry for 'Suarez' - was played out of position for much of the second half of the season, but still impressed at times - got a lot of potential though, glad he signed his deal - will be part of the first team next season for definite.

Kolkka - 7.5/10 - Frustrating to see a player of Joonas' quality frozen out of the squad for the best part of 5 months. The best winger we had at the club, so direct, so talented, so cool and had a great haircut too!

Lakis - 5/10 - Didn't impress. NEXT!

Leigertwood - 6.5/10 - Strong as an ox, drives through the midfield like a Sherman tank - but got the jitters when passing, special award for a Premiership touchfinding record though. Got potential to be a good player when he gets it right.

Derry - 5/10 - Shame he went to Leeds....I honestly think he could have been some use this season.

Routledge- 8/10 - Under scrutiny for much of the season after details over his contract situation gradually came into the public eye. Dealt with it admirably and had a good season - you don't set up large amounts of goals without doing something right.

Johnson - 10/10 - What can I say....made the step up with ease, England's hottest talent at the moment with 21 goals and made life as a Palace fan a little more bearable in the season. So much effort, so much class.....Mr Palace, Mr Dependable, Mr Johnson - I salute you!

Freedman - 7/10 - Played in a forward partnership with AJ which yielded very little inspiration as a pair, barring a few penalties - his finishing sometimes let him down, but after a virtuoso performance yesterday - he went up in my 'Premiership' estimation - still a top quality Championship player.

Shipperley - 6/10 - Errrrm, little seen, little to say - but gets a bonus point for the Cardiff moment last season.

Torghelle - 6/10 - Raw talent, unpolished diamond - undoubted ability, hot-headed at times but Sandor does have the potential to help us bounce back next season.

Andrews - 4/10 - Yep, OK. When the 'six-figure sum' could have been spent on Jordan's next Aston Martin, we spent it on a guy who's quick...but can't kick, or control a ball to save his life.

Ventola - 6/10 - Got a goal...that's all I wanted to see him do, he got it last week, but largely unknown to what he could offer us in the long term.

Kaviedes - 5/10 - Think we could have done with him towards the end of the season, but an attitude problem saw him on the next flight home to Ecuador.

Shipp Ahoy!
17-05-2005, 10:06 PM
I think some people incredibly underate Boyce and his contribution this year.

For me close runner to player of the year IMHO.

Tommuz
17-05-2005, 11:00 PM
I agree, who can honestly say that Boyce would have had the impact that he did considering that he came from a Division 2 outfit? For me it's between Kiraly, AJ and Boyce. Special mention has to go to Riihilahti and Hughes though for some impressive performances throughout the season

PeterH
18-05-2005, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Brett
PeterH gold.

Cheers.

I am not wrong though Brett am I?

Give me your ratings and I will wait for Gooders as well, to get a fair idea how players performed for the season as a whole. Looking for Benzhiyi to give an end of season report as well. Christ on a bike I reckon I could do better ratings from Santiago.

I see after my comment someone gave Ventola a 7 for one goal and another gave Freedman a 6.

With idiots like this suporting the club (and these are the ones with access to computers!!!) SJ will have no trouble at all pulling the wool over their eyes for a few seasons more.

ROFL.

TheCharmer
18-05-2005, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by PeterH
Cheers.

I am not wrong though Brett am I?

Give me your ratings and I will wait for Gooders as well, to get a fair idea how players performed for the season as a whole. Looking for Benzhiyi to give an end of season report as well. Christ on a bike I reckon I could do better ratings from Santiago.

I see after my comment someone gave Ventola a 7 for one goal and another gave Freedman a 6.

With idiots like this suporting the club (and these are the ones with access to computers!!!) SJ will have no trouble at all pulling the wool over their eyes for a few seasons more.

ROFL.

You a spot on Peter, another bench mark is the ridiculous rating for Leighterwood and Poppo. Absurd. From looking at all these 7 and 8's i thought we d qualified for the Champions League.

cpfc_spc1982
18-05-2005, 08:56 AM
kiraly 7 some very good saves but his un orthadox style also produced some errors.
speroni 2 waste of time.
boyce 6 didnt disgrace himself but he is badly limited in possesion.
butterfield 2 didnt get too many chances but was poor every game he did not good enough defensively.
granville 5 mistake after mistake.
borrowdale - didnt play enough
hudson 3 wasnt up to it made bad mistakes whenever he played.
hall 6 should have been more of a leader at times and prone to lapses in concentration as well, distribution is awful despite what looks an impressive range of passing. some good performances though.
popovic 3 not good enough at premiership level.
powell 4 same as popovic and hudson. not much point keeping them in my opinion.
sorondo 6.5 the best defender too often injured though.
aki 6.5 certianly didnt disgrace, tires alot in games though, added a neat passing range to his game.
hughes 7 dragged us forward at times .
leigertwood 5 filled in a number of positions none that well to be honest. like boyce has huge limitations on the ball. id like to see us sign a decent holding midfielder for next season - the idea of a converted centre half playing there is good but just not mikele.
soares 6 stood up to viera and papa diop should be pleased with his season, hes not a winger but filled in well. works very hard up and down.
wayne 6 showed excellent character towards the end of the season and was as good as anyone in the team. very frustrating player though so i wont be sorry hes leaving. very poor goal return.
kolkka 5.5 duno if he had a row with dowie but looked ok on occassions did nothing on others.
lakis 4.5 disappointing.
watson 5.5 for a neat passer his passing let him down quite abit at times, looks to play football though which is good.
andrews 2 no quality.
torghelle 3 poor, not good in the air or not got a good touch. id sell.
shipps - didnt play enough.
aj 9 despite playing a position which doesnt suit his game he got 21 goals which is amazing.
ventola 4 played well when he came on against southampton but it was a risk signing him because of his injuries and to be honest it backfired.
kaviedes 2 waste of time and money.

Gooders
18-05-2005, 11:20 AM
Here you go then Peter:

Kiraly 7

Won us more points than he lost us but still let in a few soft goals and took up very silly positions for set-pieces. Very entertaining though.

Speroni 5

Looks too small and lacking in confidence to ever make a top class keeper to me - made some right rickets early on, even knocking one shot in that was going wide!

Granville 6

Is from the second division of full-backs and always will be, but did as well as could be expected IMVHO, with major cock-ups being restricted to a handful of occasions

Hall 6.5

Occasionally looked exceptional but went through a couple of really dodgy patches and gave away some goals at crucial stages of the season. Hope he stays though as he's definitely a component of our spine for next season.

Sorondo 7

Our best defender. Good enough to buy himself time on the ball - always a sign of a player with a touch of class, that is. If he'd been fit all season, I reckon we'd have stayed up.

Powell 5

Didn't feature much, and didn't look to have improved at all when he did. Not a Premiership defender.

Borrowdale 5

Again we didn't see much of him and I don't see yet what improvement he is on Granville. Really needs to step up next season, assuming he'll be our first choice left-back.

Popovic 5.5

Scored an extra half point for some sterling displays when he came back into the team late on. Shame about being beaten all ends up to the ball with 8 minutes to go at Chortleton though. :sob: Can probably do a job if he is still here next season but would need swift replacement if we got back up.

Hudson 4

Very, very disappointing. I thought we would see a lot of improvement when he joined us permanently but he went backwards. Much to prove now.

Boyce 7

Excellent defensively for someone jumping up two divisions and one of our best signings. Again, if he hadn't suffered that rotten injury I reckon we might just about have stayed up. Needs to improve going forward but will be absolutely rock solid next season.

Aki 6

Some important goals and the usual 110% commitment. Hope he stays as he will do very well in the Championship and will help us to counteract some of the more robust opposition we will face. Did as well as could be expected, given that he is short of class at the very top level (which he would admit himself, I expect).

Hughes 7

Was occasionally brilliant and the heartbeat of the team, but had some periods of inconsistency as well. Should have contributed a bit more in the way of goals and assists though.

Soares 6

Considering his age and lack of experience he did as well as could be expected. One of those players whose contribution goes unnoticed by those that only ever seem to see what the more "showy" players are doing. Made very few mistakes. Now needs to work on creating more.

Watson 5

Didn't improve at all this season and hardly featured. He has the ability I think, and next year will be make or break for him. How much does he want it?

Routledge 7

Finished the season strongly after a very bad patch around Christmas (other things on his mind I guess). Easily had the most assists and delighted us with some spectacular showboating. Will need to learn to keep the ball better (there were signs that he did actually get stronger towards the end of the season, I feel) and to make his undoubted skill count for more - otherwise he will become a bit-part player in the Premiership.

Kolkka 5.5

Never delivered as much as he promised and should have contributed far more to our season with the previous experience he had. Like Rubins before him, not really suited to the English Premiership, IMHO (and certainly not the Championship).

Lakis 4

Nowhere near enough of a contribution from an obviously talented and experienced player. If we get back up, I hope Dowie will learn a lesson about signing too many "Carlos Kickaball"s next time around.

AJ 9

Exceeded all expectations and is now almost the complete player. I have said it a few times this season and I'm being deadly serious - I would not swap him for Owen. He works harder; he's faster; he's as good a finisher; he's better in the air; and he's almost as perceptive in and around the box now. Almost kept us up single-handed (we truly would have been down with the decorations without him, let's be honest). I will be amazed if he lines up for us next season but I will put on record now that I have been prouder of AJ in a Palace shirt more than any other player in the 35 years I've been watching them. He has been a fantastic servant to this club.

Torghelle 3

A speculative waste of money. Just goes to show that you shouldn't buy players based on a few video highlights.

Freedman 5

I'm a huge fan but have to finally admit that he's short of Premiership class. Worked pretty hard when he did get chances though. Might be useful to retain next season if we lose AJ.

Leigertwood 6

Hoped to see more improvement from Mikele this season. Very erratic performances and he's going to need to learn to use his brain if he's to make it at the top level. The stupid challenge that led to the free-kick from which Chortleton killed us broke my heart, and lost him an extra half-point. A thinking footballer would never have made a mistake like that.

Ventola 3

Not really his fault I suppose, but yet another waste of money. Was it worth the gamble? Probably - just didn't work out unfortunately.

Andrews 3

Nowhere near good enough, possibly even at Championship level. Looks like a poor man's Steve Kabba to me. Hasn't yet revealed to my eyes what Dowie sees in him - other than a decent work ethic.

Butterfield 4

Thought he would be a solid if unspectacular member of our squad this season and was injured at a bad time of course but again looked short of the required level of consistency to me, and doesn't appear capable of improving further. Might be a useful "utility" player next season.

Kaviedes 1

The biggest waste of money of all. Totally unsuited to this country and our game and in hindsight probably Dowie's worst decision of all. Again I hope we learn from this next time, if we're lucky enough to get back up.

andy m
18-05-2005, 11:45 AM
During the season I have been most impressed with Kiraly, Hall, Sorondo, Wayne and AJ. They get 8's, whilst AJ gets a 10 because that's a lot of goals in a poor side, and he became an England international. For most of the season I have been impressed with Boyce, Hughesy and Aki. They all get good 7's, Hughes gets an 8 because for the run in at least he as good as anyone. For some of the season Leigertwood, Powell, Soares, Kolkka, Dougie, Watson and Popovic get 6's for sheer effort and some good play at times. Hudson, Ventola and Lakis have been out through injury or otherwise for a lot of time and get 4's. Least impressive have been Speroni, Butterfield, Granville and Kaviedes for either consistent poor play, or poor contributions when called upon. 3's.

Onwards and upwards, think we should use next year to groom Soares and Watson as a central midfield partnership to understudy Hughesy and Aki, and Hudson should be given the chance to cement a regular place alongside Hall.

Panther
18-05-2005, 12:38 PM
Excellent summary from Gooders and I'd only question one of his marks - but I'm not going to get into another argument!

Tom's Old Man
18-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Kiraly 9. Best signing we made, excellent.
Speroni 3. Dreadful.
Boyce 7. Adapted well, surprised many people (including me).
Butterfield 4. Not his year.
Granville 5. Struggled in too many games.
Popovic 6. Excellent at the end, poor at other times.
Powell 5. Few matches, looked shaky.
Sorondo. 8. Our best defender.
Hall 7. Passing poor, but still did quite well.
Hughes 9. Non-stop workhorse.
Aki. 6. Good at beginning, faded badly.
Soares 5. Looked out of his depth, one for the future.
Routledge 7. Frustrating, awful crosses and corners. tremendous at the end of the season.
Leigertwood 4. Works hard but way below standard required.
Kolkka. 6. Looked OK, not Mr Dowie's favourite.
Lakis 5. Very disappointing.
Freedman 6. Played well despite poor return of goals.
Johnson 10. Tremendous. Player of the Year for me.
Torgelle 5. Far too theatrical. Like to see more of him though.

Others: Like to see more of Watson. Ventola impressed when he played, not that we saw much of him.

Gooders
18-05-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Panther
Excellent summary from Gooders and I'd only question one of his marks - but I'm not going to get into another argument!

I don't remember that old boy. If we argued, I would guess it would be about Wayne or more probably Granville.

Malakite
18-05-2005, 01:43 PM
for effort..every single player 10!

Panther
18-05-2005, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Gooders
I don't remember that old boy. If we argued, I would guess it would be about Wayne or more probably Granville.

Nope, he plays for Southampton.

PeterH
18-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Here you go then Peter:

Kiraly 7

Won us more points than he lost us but still let in a few soft goals and took up very silly positions for set-pieces. Very entertaining though.

Speroni 5

Looks too small and lacking in confidence to ever make a top class keeper to me - made some right rickets early on, even knocking one shot in that was going wide!

Granville 6

Is from the second division of full-backs and always will be, but did as well as could be expected IMVHO, with major cock-ups being restricted to a handful of occasions

Hall 6.5

Occasionally looked exceptional but went through a couple of really dodgy patches and gave away some goals at crucial stages of the season. Hope he stays though as he's definitely a component of our spine for next season.

Sorondo 7

Our best defender. Good enough to buy himself time on the ball - always a sign of a player with a touch of class, that is. If he'd been fit all season, I reckon we'd have stayed up.

Powell 5

Didn't feature much, and didn't look to have improved at all when he did. Not a Premiership defender.

Borrowdale 5

Again we didn't see much of him and I don't see yet what improvement he is on Granville. Really needs to step up next season, assuming he'll be our first choice left-back.

Popovic 5.5

Scored an extra half point for some sterling displays when he came back into the team late on. Shame about being beaten all ends up to the ball with 8 minutes to go at Chortleton though. :sob: Can probably do a job if he is still here next season but would need swift replacement if we got back up.

Hudson 4

Very, very disappointing. I thought we would see a lot of improvement when he joined us permanently but he went backwards. Much to prove now.

Boyce 7

Excellent defensively for someone jumping up two divisions and one of our best signings. Again, if he hadn't suffered that rotten injury I reckon we might just about have stayed up. Needs to improve going forward but will be absolutely rock solid next season.

Aki 6

Some important goals and the usual 110% commitment. Hope he stays as he will do very well in the Championship and will help us to counteract some of the more robust opposition we will face. Did as well as could be expected, given that he is short of class at the very top level (which he would admit himself, I expect).

Hughes 7

Was occasionally brilliant and the heartbeat of the team, but had some periods of inconsistency as well. Should have contributed a bit more in the way of goals and assists though.

Soares 6

Considering his age and lack of experience he did as well as could be expected. One of those players whose contribution goes unnoticed by those that only ever seem to see what the more "showy" players are doing. Made very few mistakes. Now needs to work on creating more.

Watson 5

Didn't improve at all this season and hardly featured. He has the ability I think, and next year will be make or break for him. How much does he want it?

Routledge 7

Finished the season strongly after a very bad patch around Christmas (other things on his mind I guess). Easily had the most assists and delighted us with some spectacular showboating. Will need to learn to keep the ball better (there were signs that he did actually get stronger towards the end of the season, I feel) and to make his undoubted skill count for more - otherwise he will become a bit-part player in the Premiership.

Kolkka 5.5

Never delivered as much as he promised and should have contributed far more to our season with the previous experience he had. Like Rubins before him, not really suited to the English Premiership, IMHO (and certainly not the Championship).

Lakis 4

Nowhere near enough of a contribution from an obviously talented and experienced player. If we get back up, I hope Dowie will learn a lesson about signing too many "Carlos Kickaball"s next time around.

AJ 9

Exceeded all expectations and is now almost the complete player. I have said it a few times this season and I'm being deadly serious - I would not swap him for Owen. He works harder; he's faster; he's as good a finisher; he's better in the air; and he's almost as perceptive in and around the box now. Almost kept us up single-handed (we truly would have been down with the decorations without him, let's be honest). I will be amazed if he lines up for us next season but I will put on record now that I have been prouder of AJ in a Palace shirt more than any other player in the 35 years I've been watching them. He has been a fantastic servant to this club.

Torghelle 3

A speculative waste of money. Just goes to show that you shouldn't buy players based on a few video highlights.

Freedman 5

I'm a huge fan but have to finally admit that he's short of Premiership class. Worked pretty hard when he did get chances though. Might be useful to retain next season if we lose AJ.

Leigertwood 6

Hoped to see more improvement from Mikele this season. Very erratic performances and he's going to need to learn to use his brain if he's to make it at the top level. The stupid challenge that led to the free-kick from which Chortleton killed us broke my heart, and lost him an extra half-point. A thinking footballer would never have made a mistake like that.

Ventola 3

Not really his fault I suppose, but yet another waste of money. Was it worth the gamble? Probably - just didn't work out unfortunately.

Andrews 3

Nowhere near good enough, possibly even at Championship level. Looks like a poor man's Steve Kabba to me. Hasn't yet revealed to my eyes what Dowie sees in him - other than a decent work ethic.

Butterfield 4

Thought he would be a solid if unspectacular member of our squad this season and was injured at a bad time of course but again looked short of the required level of consistency to me, and doesn't appear capable of improving further. Might be a useful "utility" player next season.

Kaviedes 1

The biggest waste of money of all. Totally unsuited to this country and our game and in hindsight probably Dowie's worst decision of all. Again I hope we learn from this next time, if we're lucky enough to get back up.

NOTE TO ALL.

That is how you write season ratings. Please try harder. Thankyou Gooders.

Gooders
19-05-2005, 06:56 AM
Nope, he plays for Southampton.

Ah, him. :) Well he doesn't play for Palace (thank God!) so it can't have been him that you disagreed with my assessment of above.

I'd be interested to know?

Sussex Eagle
19-05-2005, 07:19 AM
Peter, you could do some of your own ratings rather than just telling people off for theirs. Sniping from the sidelines ain't cool. Incidentally, since you suggest giving Ventola a 4, I presume you would give a player that mark for a game if he got injured after 5 minutes? Seems you think that is the only logic that people are using (overall contribution to the season), rather than possibly trying to be a bit more fair by 'weighting' the ratings a bit.

Gooders
19-05-2005, 07:43 AM
Peter has only seen a few games Sussex, what with living in Chile these days (I think) - I guess that's why he's keen to hear what we thought.

And yes, if a player got injured after 4 minutes you would have to stick with a rating of around 4 (unless he'd scored a hat-trick already!).

Ventola is obviously a classy footballer. But when rating him, one surely has to put that to one side and rate him on the basis that he didn't complete one game in a whole season!

In his extremely limited time on the pitch for us, he scored one goal and won us a penalty - although in his defence I would add that that was still a more significant contribution than Andrews made to our season!

Sussex Eagle
19-05-2005, 07:49 AM
If Peter's only seen a few games, he probably shouldn't be claiming to know better than people who have seen most or all games. I see what you mean on Ventola etc, but it doesn't seem fair to 'punish' players for injuries or not being selected regularly. Rate them on what they did, not just how often they did it.

Elephant with mouse gyp
19-05-2005, 08:22 AM
On a 0-10 scale, the average mark over the season should be less than 5, given that we went down, 5 being the mark for a player only just good enough for the Premiership. I think people should be forced to accept this rule before contributing or have their registration withdrawn and their computer confiscated.

Benzhiyi
19-05-2005, 08:26 AM
Sad Statto that I am, I spent yesterday evening wading through all of this season’s Post Match Ratings threads to find the marks I’d given for each game. I then worked out my average rating for each player over the season. All 42 games (38 league, 4 cup) are included. Here’s the averages (in order) and number of times I’ve named them Man Of The Match. Paints an intriguing picture of the season as a whole, I think...

1. Gabor Kiraly: 7.09 (6 MOM Awards)
No real surprise. Our most consistent performer by a long way, and will get my vote for Player Of The Year on Saturday.

2. Nicola Ventola: 6.66
Only played three games.

3. Aki Riihilahti: 6.56 (3 MOM Awards)

4. Emmerson Boyce: 6.54 (3 MOM Awards)
Confirming my belief that he’s been our best defender this campaign.

5. Gonzalo Sorondo: 6.48 (1 MOM Award)
Would have been higher but for a couple of shockers towards the season’s end.

6. Joonas Kolkka: 6.36 (1 MOM Award)
Picked up his MOM Award away at Middlesbrough.

7. Andrew Johnson: 6.34 (3 MOM Awards)
Bit of a surprise, but there were 11 games where I awarded him ‘4’ or ‘5’, usually because we went 4-5-1 and he was marked out of the game.

8. Sandor Torghelle: 6.31 (1 MOM Award)
Named MOM at Portsmouth.

9. Ben Watson: 6.28 (2 MOM Awards)

10. Julian Speroni: 6.25 (1 MOM Award)
Earned his MOM accolade at Charlton away in the League Cup, and I still stand by it now! Not as bad as some think – it’s that Everton cock-up and mistake at Man Utd that people remember, but he’s a decent keeper.

11. Tony Popovic: 6.22 (1 MOM Award)

12. Mark Hudson: 6.22

13. Fitz Hall: 6.13 (4 MOM Awards)
Too inconsistent.

14. Gary Borrowdale: 6.11

15. Wayne Routledge: 6.10 (7 MOM Awards)
The number of MOM Awards compared to his average rating sum up Wayne in an instant – an incredible talent who can be frustrating and exceptional in equal measure.

16. Darren Powell: 6.00

17. Ivan Kaviedes: 6.00 (1 MOM Award)
In case you’re wondering – Hartlepool home.

18. Neil Shipperley: 6.00
Only made three appearances.

19. Michael Hughes: 5.97 (2 MOM Awards)
May seem a little harsh, but went through a torrid couple of months in the middle of the season where he looked in real need of a rest. Plus I awarded him ‘1’ for a petulant, shocking display at Sunderland in the FA Cup.

20. Tom Soares: 5.96
Lots of low marks early on, but much better as the season reached its climax.

21. Dougie Freedman: 5.82 (1 MOM Award)
Not going to do my reputation as a Dougie knocker any favours, is it? The MOM gong came away at Arsenal.

22. Mikele Leigertwood: 5.74 (1 MOM Award)
Our best player at home to Arsenal.

23. Vassilis Lakis: 5.66 (1 MOM Award)

24. Shaun Derry: 5.66 (1 MOM Award)
Top man away at Man Utd in the Cup.

25. Danny Butterfield: 5.60
Hardly a surprise. A disappointing season.

26. Danny Granville: 5.57 (1 MOM Award)
I actually feel bad about this, as Danny isn’t as bad as some (including yours truly) have made out in the past. Trouble is, when he has an off-day, he looks like a Conference player – I’ve given him four ‘3’s and one ‘2’ this season.

27. Wayne Andrews: 5.44 (1 MOM Award)
Pick of the pile at Man City.

28. Anthony Danze: 4.00
Only played once, at Man Utd it the Carling Cup. Was invisible.

Maz
19-05-2005, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp
On a 0-10 scale, the average mark over the season should be less than 5, given that we went down, 5 being the mark for a player only just good enough for the Premiership. I think people should be forced to accept this rule before contributing or have their registration withdrawn and their computer confiscated.

A very good point.

So we'll have to ask you to hand over the keys to yoru computer since the average mark that you gave for the squad actually exceeded 5.

But thanks for all the good work over the years.

Clapham Grand
19-05-2005, 08:31 AM
GF - I am bemused how you gave Leigertwood a better rating than Aki

The Prophet
19-05-2005, 08:34 AM
Kiraly - 9 Outstanding
Speroni - 6 Looked like a good shot-stopper
Granville - 8 I've not always been his biggest admirer but I thought he was consistantly good this season
Hall - 8 Solid
Sorondo - 8 Worked well with Fitz
Powell - 7 Did decent in his cameos
Borrowdale - 6 Didn't have much of a chance
Popovic - 7 Not Premiership class, but gives all he's got
Hudson - 6 Little chance
Boyce - 8 What a nice surprise!
Riihillati - 8 Scored some important goals + set up a few too. Love the man.
Hughes - 9 Powerhouse
Soares - 8 Decent first full season. Potential.
Watson - 7 Had one good run in the side, is gonna be a heck of a player.
Routledge - 9 For all the talk over him, he was our leading assister and at times was stunning. Hope he stays.
Kolkka 7 - Looked a bit of class. Shame he didn't play much towards the end of the season.
Lakis 6 - Didn't do much. Won't be missed.
A Johnson - 10 Nuff said.
Torghelle 6 - Little chance.
Freedman 6- Didn't score enough.
Leigertwood -7 At times brilliant, some times dismal.
Ventola 6- Little chance. Good goal v. the Saints.
Andrews 6 - Little chance.
Butterfield -7 Did ok when he played.

Dowie- 9 Quality.

Elephant with mouse gyp
19-05-2005, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Maz

So we'll have to ask you to hand over the keys to yoru computer since the average mark that you gave for the squad actually exceeded 5.

But thanks for all the good work over the years.

Unless my memory's going - very possible - I haven't given marks yet. Including live on TV games, I've only seen about a dozen games so wasn't going to bother, but since you ask so nicely:

Kiraly - 7. Good enough for a mid-table side at least. A cool cat.
Boyce - 3. Okay with the physical side, poor with the ball and going forward. A big, bad bear.
Hall - 4. Tenacious at times, passing awful. A tree-hugging bear.
Sorrondo - 5.5. Good enough as a footballer, but sendings-off count against him. Avispa.
Popovic - 3.5. Prone to howlers, flat-footed, no pace, very little passing. Platypus.
Powell and Hudson - 3. A bit worse than their rivals. Teddy bears.
Granville - 3. Good at passing... responsibilty for defending to others. Ostrich.
Borrowdale. 2.5. Rabbit caught in headlights.
Wayne - 7. Quality shines through the dross. A dragon fly on a stagnant pond.
Aki - 6. Covers the ground well. Sheep dog.
Hughes - 4.5. Better passer than most of our side, but not good enough as a fulcrum in a top flight midfield. Wounded lion.
Leigertwood - 4. Occasional glimpses of promise can't mask overall failure. Pedigree dog with one leg missing.
Soares - 4. Looked to be on an upward curve. Listed class foal in training.
Lakis - 4. Cheetah with a club foot.
Kolkka - 4.5. Has the brain and skill, but not the staying power. Owl.
Dougie - 4.5. Has even more brain and skill and immense grace under pressure, but not the pace. Ageing fox.
Torghelle - 3. Not of the real world. Tasmanian devil, the cartoon one.
Ventola, Kaviedes, Andrews, Shipps - 3. Second string attack knot up to it. Pack of strays.
AJ - 9.5. No praise high enough. Golden eagle.

Maz
19-05-2005, 09:26 AM
Unless my memory's going - very possible - I haven't given marks yet.

Oh bugger, I confused you with Gooders.

That will teach me to be such a smartarse. As a penance I will type no words with the letter 'z' in them today.

Benzhiyi
19-05-2005, 09:51 AM
Boyce - 3. Okay with the physical side, poor with the ball and going forward. A big, bad bear.

Astonishingly harsh.

Most of the goals we've conceded since Boycie got injured have been through mistakes at right back, by either Leigertwood or Butterfield.

Boyce worse than Hall, Sorondo, Popovic, and Leigertwood, equal to Granville, Hudson and Powell, better than only Borrowdale? Absolutely no way.

You say he's "poor with the ball and going forward", and I would have agreed with you four games into the season. But as it's progressed he's shown he's perfectly decent with his passing and distribution, and more importantly he's the best man marker in the squad, and his all round defending improved with every week.

Had Boyce not smashed his ankle I honestly believe we would have stayed up. That's how good he's been for us this season.

LLCOOLSTEVE
19-05-2005, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Benzhiyi

2. Nicola Ventola: 6.66
Only played three games.

at number 2?!

Peter H will not like that!

Benzhiyi
19-05-2005, 09:56 AM
at number 2?!

Peter H will not like that!

Two '7's and a '6'. Hence the overall season rating is a little warped.

When he played, he looked quality, but obviously he didn't play enough.

Fat Andy
19-05-2005, 09:58 AM
Jeez, it's only opinions , wish people would lighten up !

update on our 1/10 striker

Ecuador have lost patience with striker Ivan Kaviedes and dropped him from the squad for next month's World Cup qualifiers.
Kaviedes, who returned home this year after a short and unhappy spell with English club Crystal Palace, has been involved in a series of disciplinary problems with his Ecuadorean club Barcelona where he has also been left out of the team.

Sussex Eagle
19-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Sad Statto that I am, I spent yesterday evening wading through all of this season’s Post Match Ratings threads to find the marks I’d given for each game. I then worked out my average rating for each player over the season. All 42 games (38 league, 4 cup) are included. Here’s the averages (in order) and number of times I’ve named them Man Of The Match. Paints an intriguing picture of the season as a whole, I think...

Interesting read Ben. I'm sorely tempted to do that myself now.

Elephant with mouse gyp
19-05-2005, 10:08 AM
Astonishingly harsh.

Most of the goals we've conceded since Boycie got injured have been through mistakes at right back, by either Leigertwood or Butterfield.

Boyce worse than Hall, Sorondo, Popovic, and Leigertwood, equal to Granville, Hudson and Powell, better than only Borrowdale? Absolutely no way.

Okay, okay, I'll give him another half a point. I don't agree his passing is "decent", but in fairness he's not the only one. The slight difference between him and, say, Hall, is that from what I saw, Hall at least looked about him and tried to pass the ball even if his attempts usually went awry. Boyce was more of a hoof it into space merchant.

Anyway, I can't believe I'm lowering myself to change my marks on the say-so of someone who doesn't think AJ was our player of he season! Maybe 30 goals would have done it?

Gooders
19-05-2005, 10:48 AM
Ben's usually very accurate assessments of our players got very warped by his methodology, I reckon - I agree with very few of the overall ratings he's come up with (or the pecking order anyway).

Probably anyone who didn't start 10 games should get an N/A.

Ventola started 0 games, probably cost us at least £1.5 million and yet people want to give him 6's and 7's. Ridiculous.

I know he's a talented footballer but looking at things objectively he turned out to be a complete waste of money.

Benzhiyi
19-05-2005, 10:49 AM
Anyway, I can't believe I'm lowering myself to change my marks on the say-so of someone who doesn't think AJ was our player of he season! Maybe 30 goals would have done it?

I'd never knock AJ's achievements. He's our best player and has scored more goals than any of us could have dreamed of. He deserves to be playing Premiership football and I will wish him every success if he decides to leave in the summer.

But he has had numerous quiet games over the season, and scored only once in open play since January 3rd. In contrast, Gabor has had to be exceptional week in, week out, just to keep us in with a fighting chance of staying up - and that's exactly what he's done.

Randomly Random
19-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Here are my ratings for this season just gone:

Julian Speroni 1

Looked nervous and error prone. Still young with potential, needs to regain his confidence pre-season if Kiraly leaves.

Danny Butterfield 2

Unfortunate season, ruled out for the majority of it through injury and lost his right back position to Boyce.

Danny Granville 4

Had some shocking games but overall had a steady enough season with three new defenders around him for the majority of.

Mark Hudson 2

Young, inexperienced and will hope to have a more important role to play in the Championship.

Tony Popovic 3

Experience showed at times but some bad marking at crucial points cost us dearly.

Wayne Routledge 5

Young tricky winger with lots of promise. Too often failed to deliver the final ball and his set-pieces left a lot to be desired.

Andy Johnson 6

21 goals, the Premierships second highest goal-scorer, an England cap, played the majority of the season as the lone striker... says it all really. Hard worker and always had the pace to trouble even the best defenders the Premiership had to offer.

Sandor Torghelle 2

Did not play enough for me, thought he had huge promise and still does but maybe not to be realised at this club.

Neil Shipperley (no rating)

Did not play enough to warrent a rating.

Mikele Leigertwood 3

A utility player if ever there was one. Never looked up to the standard required of a Premiership midfielder, but like most of the squad, young with a lot of promise.

Ben Watson 3

His passing was good at times and along with Soares is the future of our midfield. Has the potential but will he fulfill it remains a big question.

Aki Riihilati 4

Had a great start to the season and supprised me by his work rate. Faded badly as the season hit the the last dozen or so games and unjury didn't help the cause.

Tommy Black (no rating)

Will no doubt be sold / released this Summer.

Michael Hughes 4

Played well throughout the season. His experience in Midfield showed in many of the games. Had some fantastic matches but sometimes just wasn't there.

Gary Borrowdale (no rating)

Did not play enough to warrant a rating.

Tom Soares 3

Yet another youngster in our squad and once he made the breakthrough to the first team held a spot in Midfield for the majority of the second half of the season. Played out of position but showed signs that he will develop into an excellent centre Midfielder.

Darren Powell 2

Played well enough in the games he featured but not Premiership material. Good back up for the Championship.

Emmerson Boyce 4

Looked uncomfortable getting forward at the beginning of the season but as it progressed he showed signs of developing into an excellent right back. I do wonder, as has been pointed out before, if he would make the transition to the regular centre-back?! He is a good marker and seemed capable of passing the ball without nerves. Time will tell.

Wayne Andrews (no rating)

Not impressed with the little I saw of him.

Ivan Kaviedes 2

At times looked good but overall a waste of a shirt. I remember a mazy run at home to Fulham where I wondered if he would be the perfect foil to AJ. Clearly however, I was wrong...

Fitz Hall 3

Did as well as can be expected and am sure he will go on to be the rock at the back we will need in the Championship - providing we can hold on to him. Needs to work on his passing.

Gonzalo Sorondo 4

Very impressed with this classy International. Made the odd mistake here and there but overall looked very able as a partner to Hall at the back. Shame we didn't stay up as we could have looked for another season long loan deal or even try to sign him, depending on his wage demands...

Nicola Ventola 2

Scored after only a few minutes of Premiership football all season at home to Southampton. Injured all season but has always been a player full of promise and potential. Sadly, injuries have dented his progress dramatically and I fear he will suffer early retirement.

Gabor Kiraly 6

Some disasterous moments but overall one of the best saves per shots ratio in the Premiership no doubt. Made some outstanding saves and was relaible-enough. Without him and AJ we would have been down quicker than a back-street whore by Christmas!

Vassilios Lakis 1

Looked good in patches but missed a sitter at home to Arsenal. Seemed uninterested for the most part and it doesn't supprise me he was the first player to leave once the season had ended.

I was impressed with Johnson, Boyce and Kiraly. If we can keep all three, then together along with Riihilati, Hughes, Watson and Soares will help us to a strong season in the Championship.

Cleon
19-05-2005, 11:58 AM
RR, are you just reacting to EWMG's complaint about low scores? AJ getting a 6/10?

Randomly Random
19-05-2005, 12:13 PM
Kinda.... But to be honest reading all the ratings, if all the players had that kind of season we would not have been relegated. I was trying to be fair and just and believe I was. Also, I edited not long after I posted and changed AJ's from a seven to a six. Sometimes he was marked out of games and didn't get a touch.

Sussex Eagle
19-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Well, I gave the averaging out my postmatch ratings technique a go. I only saw 24 games in person, so I only based it on those, obviously. Some strange results in there that probably show I am a bit too easily pleased by Palace, and am rather biased at times. Dougie's mad position proves the allegations often made against me are true :). I'm suprised by how high Popa is, and how low AJ & Fitz are. Probably due to AJ being marked out of the game in 4-5-1 a fair few times & Fitz's spell in the midfield. Gabor wins by miles, which is probably quite fair as far as consistency of performance and amount of points saved goes.

1. Gabor Kiraly - 7.83 (21 games)
2. Dougie Freedman - 7.25 (12 games)
3. Tony Popovic - 7.083 (12 games)
4. Gonzalo Sorondo - 7.076 (13 games)
5. Wayne Routledge - 7.04 (24 games)
6. Aki Riihilahti - 6.94 (18 games)
7. Michael Hughes - 6.9 (21 games)
8. Andy Johnson - 6.89 (23 games)
9. Emmerson Boyce - 6.88 (18 games)
10. Joonas Kolkka - 6.82 (14 games)
11. Tom Soares - 6.81 (13 games)
12. Fitz Hall - 6.75 (22 games)
13. Mikele Leigertwood - 6.58 (12 games)
14. Danny Granville - 6.31 (24 games)
15. Ben Watson - 6.19 (13 games)

Also...

Nicola Ventola - 8 (2 games)
Julian Speroni - 6.67 (3 games)
Ivan Kaviedes - 6.63 (4 games)
Vasilis Lakis - 6.38 (8 games)
Gary Borrowdale - 6.17 (3 games)
Sandor Torghelle - 6.1 (5 games)
Darren Powell - 6 (4 games)
Mark Hudson - 6 (4 games)
Shaun Derry - 5.5 (3 games)
Wayne Andrews - 5.33 (3 games where he was on long enough to get rated, and I didn't take the piss by puttin 'n/a' even if he'd been on for ages)
Danny Butterfield - 5 (4 games)

Son of Ron
19-05-2005, 12:35 PM
Kiraly 8, solid
Speroni 4, shakey
Granville 6, slow
Hall 6, inconsistent
Sorondo 7, powerful
Powell 6, unspectacular
Borrowdale 6, lightweight
Popovic 6, error-prone
Hudson 5, unsure
Boyce 8, revelation
Riihillati 7, workmanlike
Hughes 8, leader
Soares 5, promising
Watson 6, faded
Routledge 6, let-down
Kolkka 6, reasonable
Johnson 9, inspired
Torghelle 5, aggressive
Freedman 5, eventually
Leigertwood 6, clumsy
Ventola 6, injured
Andrews 5, headless chicken
Butterfield 5, unfulfilled
Lakis 5, careless

Dowie 7, almost..........

Tom's Old Man
19-05-2005, 12:53 PM
I have to say Freedman getting 6's and a lot of 7's when he waited to the last game to score his first goal, and Ventola missing two thirds at least of the season getting 6's and 7's, shows what a pile of w ank most of your ratings are. :p

Bit harsh to give a Sorondo or a Wayne Routledge or even an Aki a 7 at the same time.

Granted from afar, but I would give Ventola a 4 for looking the part the few times when fit, and Freedman a 5 for carry his wage packet in his shorts all season as that must have been what weighed him down.

I tell you what give Torghelle a 9 for getting injured playing for Hungary.
Listen, if Freedman had taken our penalties he would probably have been our top scorer. Would that have made him a better performer than Johnson? No. He should be judged on his performances, not just his goals return. Likewise, many non-Palace supporting mates are quick to point out how many AJ goals came from the spot. He was a class act irrespective of his goals, his work rate was incredible. I know, I was there to see it throughout.

maestro
19-05-2005, 01:32 PM
Some of the ratings are very unrealistic, we were a poor premiership side who got relegated and were giving players 7-10's the majority werent upto it and deserve 5's or less

Panther
19-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Ah, him. :) Well he doesn't play for Palace (thank God!) so it can't have been him that you disagreed with my assessment of above.

I'd be interested to know?

Begins with L and doesn't end with -akis.

Panther
19-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Fat Andy
Jeez, it's only opinions , wish people would lighten up !

update on our 1/10 striker

Ecuador have lost patience with striker Ivan Kaviedes and dropped him from the squad for next month's World Cup qualifiers.
Kaviedes, who returned home this year after a short and unhappy spell with English club Crystal Palace, has been involved in a series of disciplinary problems with his Ecuadorean club Barcelona where he has also been left out of the team.

Now why am I not surprised?

Ian Hart
19-05-2005, 04:18 PM

Torghelle
Just goes to show that you shouldn't buy players based on a few video highlights.

I agree almost entirely with all Gooders ratings and his comments - particularly this one. I recall at the time the Transfer Hotline forum was full of players we were supposedly chasing, from about 10 different countries at the same time, I started a Thread in which I politely enquired "How had we managed to watch so many players in such a short time since the Play-Offs, spread over seemingly every continent. Or Are we just basing it on videos?" One contributor immediately came back with an almost abusive reply stating that we weren't watching videos - Bob Dowie had set up a sophisticated worldwide scouting network.

Mmm. I wasn't convinced then, and I'm not convinced now.

Incidentally, as a different method of reviewing ratings, I looked at the final scores in the Official Fantasy League. These can be a little more reliable than you might think as they are based on what an individual has actually contributed. Three points for a goal, two for an assist, three for a clean sheet etc. And of course defenders lose points (plenty in our case) for being on the pitch when we've conceded goals. Only league games are included, and these were the average ratings per match:-

1. Johnson 1.86
2. Kolkka 0.65
3= Riihilahti 0.61
3= Routledge 0.61
5. Soares 0.38
6. Hughes 0.35
7. Lakis 0.33
8. Leigertwood 0.31 (see comment below)
9. Freedman 0.3
10. Powell 0.25
11. Popovic 0.24
12. Granville 0.23
13. Kiraly 0.16
14. Watson 0.13
15. Hall 0.06
16. Torghelle 0
17. Sorondo minus 0.06
18. Boyce minus 0.12
19. Butterfield minus 0.43
20. Hudson minus 0.57
21. Speroni minus 1.17

You can see why people playing Fantasy League tended not to include Palace defenders!

Ventolla isn't included as he didn't make a start. Leigertwood's average is a bit artificial, as he was treated as a defender, and was credited with the benefit of five clean sheets in the games he played.

And before people poke too much fun at poor Speroni for his average, I can tell you there were 5 Premiership goalkeepers who got worse!

Sussex Eagle
19-05-2005, 07:00 PM
I enjoyed this :D

Originally posted by Ian Hart
16. Torghelle 0

PeterH
19-05-2005, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Sussex Eagle
If Peter's only seen a few games, he probably shouldn't be claiming to know better than people who have seen most or all games. I see what you mean on Ventola etc, but it doesn't seem fair to 'punish' players for injuries or not being selected regularly. Rate them on what they did, not just how often they did it.

Not when the thread title is ratings for the season. I do claim to know better if people are giving Ventola a 7 for scoring one goal and missing two thirds of the season. The same people rate a Boyce or Aki 6/10. That sir is just pure nonsense and if they cannot do better than that they shouldn't bother.

You are suggesting I do not have the ability to form a rounded opinion of our players contributions from the week in/week out ratings posted on here which I read quite avidly.

We are rating players on their performances against the 'might' of the premiership, not on their ability to warm the bench or play in the reserves.

For what it is worth, not much according to you, AJ has to be the player of the season because his goal contribution over the course of the season nearly kept us up, he was rarely injured, always enthusiastic and wasn't suspended for yellow or red cards. The runners up spot would go to one of Kiraly, Boyce, Sorondo or Hughes with special mentions to youngsters Routledge and Soares. Aki, Hall and Granville and perhaps Kolkka? have had reasonably good seasons. The rest have been a disappointment at best.

Now I reckon I am not far off the mark, but my opinion doesn't count because 1) I was not there and so am not really as much of a Palace fan and 2) because some Merlin sticker collectors reckon Ventola's one good game (of which we drew and cost us our status after his error) merits a 7.

PeterH
19-05-2005, 07:12 PM
Two '7's and a '6'. Hence the overall season rating is a little warped.

When he played, he looked quality, but obviously he didn't play enough.

Indeed. Ben has you are in statto mode, roughly facter in a weight based on minutes on the pitch throughout the season. I would like to see an actual contribution to the season as a whole rating from someone who has attended as many games as you have.

You can even give Ventola a bonus addition of 1 for the Premiership goal of the season that has got so many Palace fans wetting their knickers with awe.

Oh and are you doing your end of term report like you did for the Echo for the players, coaches, fans and administrators of our great club.

PeterH
19-05-2005, 07:16 PM
Well, I gave the averaging out my postmatch ratings technique a go. I only saw 24 games in person, so I only based it on those, obviously. Some strange results in there that probably show I am a bit too easily pleased by Palace, and am rather biased at times. Dougie's mad position proves the allegations often made against me are true :). I'm suprised by how high Popa is, and how low AJ & Fitz are. Probably due to AJ being marked out of the game in 4-5-1 a fair few times & Fitz's spell in the midfield. Gabor wins by miles, which is probably quite fair as far as consistency of performance and amount of points saved goes.

1. Gabor Kiraly - 7.83 (21 games)
2. Dougie Freedman - 7.25 (12 games)
3. Tony Popovic - 7.083 (12 games)
4. Gonzalo Sorondo - 7.076 (13 games)
5. Wayne Routledge - 7.04 (24 games)
6. Aki Riihilahti - 6.94 (18 games)
7. Michael Hughes - 6.9 (21 games)
8. Andy Johnson - 6.89 (23 games)
9. Emmerson Boyce - 6.88 (18 games)
10. Joonas Kolkka - 6.82 (14 games)
11. Tom Soares - 6.81 (13 games)
12. Fitz Hall - 6.75 (22 games)
13. Mikele Leigertwood - 6.58 (12 games)
14. Danny Granville - 6.31 (24 games)
15. Ben Watson - 6.19 (13 games)

Also...

Nicola Ventola - 8 (2 games)
Julian Speroni - 6.67 (3 games)
Ivan Kaviedes - 6.63 (4 games)
Vasilis Lakis - 6.38 (8 games)
Gary Borrowdale - 6.17 (3 games)
Sandor Torghelle - 6.1 (5 games)
Darren Powell - 6 (4 games)
Mark Hudson - 6 (4 games)
Shaun Derry - 5.5 (3 games)
Wayne Andrews - 5.33 (3 games where he was on long enough to get rated, and I didn't take the piss by puttin 'n/a' even if he'd been on for ages)
Danny Butterfield - 5 (4 games)

So your analysis makes Ventola the player of the season? Shall we post the trophy back to him in Italy.

Sussex Eagle
19-05-2005, 07:37 PM
So your analysis makes Ventola the player of the season? Shall we post the trophy back to him in Italy.

I think you've missed the point completely here!

A) That was just a ••••••• average you borderline cretin, as you well know.

B) If we were to 'weight' it by minutes as you suggest, Ventola would get somewhere between 0 and 1 from everyone. It might be rigidly logical, but it's not really fair. It's much fairer to to 'rate' players on the basis of how well they did when they were used. Otherwise we would have to take a mark or two each off Boyce & Aki, two of our best this season, because they both missed a significant number of games. Granville would be amongst our best by your reckoning as he has barely missed a game! :clown: :clown: :clown:

My personal opinion is that AJ, Gabor, Boyce, Aki & Wayne were our best 5 players for the season overall. Players like Ventola did their best in their short appearances but of course noone is suggesting they are anywhere near player of the season! That is not what people are talking about! Nicola played like a 7 or so when he was available. Granville or Watson may have been 4's 5's or 6's across 20-40 games - but obviously they still contributed far more than Ventola. Nobody needs that explained to them :rolleyes:

And no, your opinions aren't worth much when you haven't actually seen the games. It's like basing your opinion of music or movies purely on the critic's responses. Which is meaningless.

PeterH
19-05-2005, 08:19 PM
A) That was just a ••••••• average you borderline cretin, as you well know.

And no, your opinions aren't worth much when you haven't actually seen the games. It's like basing your opinion of music or movies purely on the critic's responses. Which is meaningless.

Edited by me. My comments were unnecessary and not in the spirit of the BBS.

Still got the angst of relegation out of my system and I suspect Sussex has as well.

One point to consider from the point of view of us ex pats is now that Palace have been relegated we don't get to see any games live at all, or any highlights, we read nothing in the papers etc.. But that is what you give up I suppose when you leave the country. It is high time clubs or sky allowed you to subscribe for games on the internet.

c_block_lad
19-05-2005, 10:22 PM
Intresting how I have been abused all season for claiming Hall is out of his depth in this league, when peoples above ratings would suggest the same...

Ian Hart
19-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by c_block_lad
Intresting how I have been abused all season for claiming Hall is out of his depth in this league, when peoples above ratings would suggest the same...

I think you (and me!) are probably in the minority in that view. In this thread

http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107639

100 out of 115 people who've voted would buy him again if we could start all over.

dodge_bond
19-05-2005, 10:30 PM
i think hall has done well this season, great in the air . . . . . but then again if i was his hieght i ouwld be pretty tasty in the prem!!! !!!

Sussex Eagle
19-05-2005, 10:46 PM
And to be fair you complete **** your opinions aren't worth much if you decide your arguments are best served by personal insults.

Why don't you just stick your rating up your @rse you worthless tw@t.

Oh and BTW I have seen a few live games on telly here, you fecking mug and I saw the first third of the season at Selhurst.

What an unpleasant tosser you are.

There's a few insults if you want them. Hey and I figured you were all right on these boards,but hey we can all be wrong.

Sorry dude, I went a bit OTT there, but you were being pretty condescending (calling people idiots etc like you were isn't much more pleasant). Anyway, the insults from me were out of line, all apologies, I can be a moody git sometimes.

pete eagle
20-05-2005, 12:23 AM
This is made up from the bits and bobs that I've seen this season. Overall I have seen quite a lot of games, but anyway here goes.

Goalkeepers

Speroni - 4 - At the heart of a lot of defensive confusion at the start of the season, his error against Everton can still be seen as a defining point in our season.
Kiraly - 8 - Marvellous between the sticks since he came in to replace Speroni but I too would question his dip in form towards the very end of the season. Games against Norwich and Southampton saw us uncharacteristically generous at home, with panic and confusion in the defence.

Defenders

Butterfield - 3 - Little chance to have an impact, constantly coming back from injuries, did well in a little spell around Christmas but other than that looked well off the pace.
Boyce - 7 - Our best defender by a country mile, made Henry look ordinary and after being given a roasting by Giggs at Old Trafford, learned from it and kept him quiet at Selhurst Park. That to me is what impressed the most, his learning ability.
Sorondo - 6 - Solid and dependable, formed a very good partnership with Fitz Hall, composed on the ball as well, gave away too many free kicks in dangerous areas though
Hall - 5.5 - Marked down for his bad spell in midfield and his poor long passing ability, his defending was pretty solid but seemed caught up in the malaise at home against Norwich and Southampton.
Powell - 4 - Did a job at times, but never really convinced
Hudson - 4 - Expected a lot more, very disappointing
Popovic - 5 - Some excellent late season displays but earlier in the season displayed form more common amongst Solomon Islands players
Granville - 5.5 - Defied some of his critics with fine displays at times, occasional indecisions cost dear though

Midfield

Hughes - 6 - General leading from the front at times, others far too close to the back line not getting involved as much
Aki - 6.5 - Our best central midfielder, whenever he was taken off we conceded, and when he didn't play we looked vulnerable, his fitness seemed in question at times. But with 4 goals and 4 or 5 assists can be proud of his campaign, his occasional ability to spot a peach of a pass is unnoticed by some.
Watson - 5.5 - Impressed with some sterling displays at times but at others seemed to fade into obscurity.
Leigertwood - 5 - Seems calm at times, others flapped about like a chicken being chased by a fox. His sloppy passing at times was a major minus point.
Routledge - 7 - Some superb displays despite heavy criticism from the crowd, deeply upset that Palace went down showing his heart was in it, if he stays it would be wonderful for this club.
Kolkka - 5 - Dangerous and deadly at times, too lightweight at others.
Lakis - 4 - Showed directness and ability to trouble defences for a while but then faded away and was not considered again
Soares - 6 - Did a lot of unnoticed work, but more than held his own and is definitely one for the future.

Strikers

Freedman - 5 - Bonus point for almost keeping us up, showed desire but couldn't quite get that goal for a long time, still has intelligent running though and is still an asset to this club.
Torghelle - 3.5 - Waste of money so far, hope to see improvement
Ventola - 4 - When he played he impressed, shame he didnt play more.
Shipperley - 3 - Not up to Premiership standard when he was introduced on occasions. Given little chance
Andrews - 4 - Bonus point for desire, just lacking the quality.
Johnson - 8 - 21 goals is a superb return, and he should have had at least 6 or 7 more as well, a lot of quiet games though, especially towards the end of the season when we really needed him, may be found out a bit more at Premiership level next season if he stays in that League.

PeterH
20-05-2005, 03:18 AM
Sorry dude, I went a bit OTT there, but you were being pretty condescending (calling people idiots etc like you were isn't much more pleasant). Anyway, the insults from me were out of line, all apologies, I can be a moody git sometimes.

Indeed, and I always bite if there is a row to be had.

Hope we can have a beer when I get over in August.

I might even do some ratings for the couple of games I will see live. ;)

ps see my edit above.

cpfc_spc1982
20-05-2005, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by maestro
Some of the ratings are very unrealistic, we were a poor premiership side who got relegated and were giving players 7-10's the majority werent upto it and deserve 5's or less

exactly. not many realists on here.

Gooders
20-05-2005, 07:02 AM
Begins with L and doesn't end with -akis.

Ah, I see.

I can certainly see why people might think a 6 slightly generous. His passing is often awful, he needs to work on his awareness and he's made one or two silly challanges (like the one at Chortleton).

But by and large, he's made a decent contribution this season and had a couple or three absolutely stonking games against decent opposition as well.

I have a habit during games of shouting things like "good stuff Aki", "nicely Ligs" or "for ••••s sake Wayne" to recognise good, solid or piss poor things that the players do - and I can say, hand on heart, that these spontaneous outpourings of mine have praised Mikele more often than any other player this season. He also features quite highly in the exasperation stakes though!

I remain firmly of the belief that some people only ever see what he does wrong - in the same way as many people don't notice that Soares rarely makes mistakes - or only notice the spectacular things that Wayne does.

We all see things differently, of course, but to my mind Mikele has generally been as good as any midfielder we have played this season, with the exception of Hughes.

Whether he will ever make it to the top is, I totally agree, still open to debate. He has a long way to go.

Panther
20-05-2005, 10:40 AM
Fair enough. I see where you're coming from and I agree ML has some good points but for me they're outweighed by the bad ones. As for the rest of the midfield they've all been relatively poor except Hughes but then in the circs that is perhaps hardly surprising (too much was probably being asked of ordinary or inexperienced players).

Benzhiyi
20-05-2005, 12:38 PM
Oh and are you doing your end of term report like you did for the Echo for the players, coaches, fans and administrators of our great club.

Your wish, etc...

Gabor Kiraly – 8
Part goalkeeper, part clown, part psychiatric ward outpatient, part pyjama party organiser – but I wouldn’t swap him for anyone in world football. This bloke was born to play for Palace. As Lightweight will testify, I’ve developed Gabor’s Tourettes this season, a condition where I yell “what a ••••••• save, what a ••••••• save” in her ear while pumping my fists like a fat white version of Mr T three times a game. Some of his reflex stops – the tip onto the bar against Blackburn at home; the low stop from Stead at Ewood; two brilliant twisting efforts at Bolton and Man City – have defied the laws of physics. With a 99% catch rate on crosses, he’s OPTA’s Keeper Of The Season, and my Player Of The Season. If Andy Street ever succeeds in turning me gay, I’m going straight after Gabor.

Julian Speroni – 6
Granted, our loppy-lipped Argentinian luvvie made two horrendous errors against Everton and Man Utd, and was horridly unlucky with Patrick Berger’s long ranger at Portsmouth. Those cock-ups have meant his performances at Norwich, Boro, and Charlton in the Carling Cup – all of which featured him making numerous smart saves – are largely forgotten. I’d be nervous about having him as outright first choice next season, but he is a decent enough back-up keeper.

Danny Granville – 6
Ever remember the kids TV show Woof? Every ten games or so I wonder whether Danny spent a bit too long reading Allan Ahlberg’s famous book as he spends another 90 minutes chasing his own tail, forgetting all those things Dowie mentioned in the dressing room beforehand – the concept of marking, the need to block crosses, staying tight to your man, other things that sometimes help when you’re legging it round a patch of grass in Croydon in front of 25,000 people. Charlton and Newcastle at home both spring to mind. When he’s not off in La-La-Land, he can be a decent enough defender, and carries a goal threat too. His best season since joining the club – but still only worthy of a ‘6’. Sorry.

Gary Borrowdale – 4
I’m too depressed by how much this guy has regressed to consider the reasons why.

Gonzalo Sorondo – 6.5
Broke into the side looking like a composed sweeper with decent passing ability and exceptional reading of the game. By the season’s end he was copying everyone else – mistiming tackles, bundling opposition players over, conceding needless free kicks *****il then the sole copyright of F Hall and M Leigertwood). Nonetheless, a very good player who can go back to Italy having successfully graduated from Clown College.

Tony Popovic – 5.5
In January, 4,000 South Londoners descended upon Craven Cottage expecting to see a football match and were instead treated to a mad bearded Aussie’s one man rendition of A Comedy Of Errors. It was the low point of Poppa’s season – which took some doing after scoring two brilliant back-heeled own goals at Pompey and Boro – but he finally got it together in time for the final four games. Too little, too late, sadly.

Darren Powell – 5
Always good to see taking the field because a) it brings back memories of that goal (and Mick McCockend’s ensuing tantrum) and b) you can spend 90 minutes wondering which way the ball will bounce off his 50p coin head next. Note: said game is banned during tense relegation battles at the Hawthorns. Shame no-one told Dazza.

Fitz Hall – 6
Crap midfielder. Good defender, despite the fact he has no marking ability. Has an unerring love of pinging balls into the heart of the Arthur Wait massive.

Mark Hudson – 4.5
Last season Mark earned the nickname ‘The Rock’. This season he cracked into tiny little pieces. Let’s hope Dowie and Harbin have the sellotape handy, as he could yet be a great player for us next season.

Emmerson Boyce – 7
“Can’t pass, no ball skills, rubbish going forward, blah blah….” BALLS. The bloke isn’t in the team to do 17 ••••••• stepovers every week – Tommy Black’s still knocking about if that’s what you want. He’s there to defend, which he does a billion times better than Butterfield or Leigertwood. Has spent the whole season marking people out of games (where was Mister Gray both home and away? Under Marlene’s thumb, that’s where), blocking crosses, making tackle after tackle, winning headers, and getting forward where possible, and people still want to knock him for the fact he ain’t Pele. Utter toss. Easily our best defender.

Danny Butterfield – 3
I don’t know what has gone wrong, but I know it makes me sad.

*Breaks for a little cry*

Mikele Leigertwood – 5.5
I apologise to Gooders on this, but I can’t join him in proclaiming Mikele our best midfielder. He’s very promising, yet away from home seems to leave all semblance of footballing ability on the coach. At Sunderland, his lethargic manner and complete disregard for the notion of JUMPING FOR HEADERS had me banging my head on the seat in front. At Blackburn, he’d acquired a canny ability to sleepwalk around the perimeter of the centre circle, all the while avoiding the spherical white thing that would occasionally flash past. By the 89th time he’d been outjumped by 3ft2in Charles N’Zogbia at St James’s, I was just about ready to gouge my eyes out with a spoon. Yes, he has had good games this season – usually at home, Arsenal and Spurs spring immediately to mind – but on the road he really needs to stop ambling about like an extra in a Resident Evil movie.

Vasillis Lakis – 5
Very skilful, good crosser; if only his Greek translator hadn’t mistakenly informed him that the words “Track back” meant “As soon as the ball goes out for a throw, have a five minute kip while your full back desperately tries to cover three opposition players.”

Michael Hughes – 6
Decent start to the season, and great finish – but looked seriously jaded throughout the winter months. The Liverpool home game was a tantalising glimpse of how good we could have been had Hughesy grabbed every game by the bollocks, rather than a select few.

Aki Riihilahti – 6.5
His best season yet. Our most consistent performer in the centre of the park, and second highest goalscorer to boot. Still a mentalist, mind.

Joonas Kolkka – 6
Impressed whenever he played, but didn’t have the work ethic so favoured by Dowie and Harbin.

Ben Watson – 6.5
Our best run of the season came about while Ben was the central point in a 4-5-1 formation, and that’s no coincidence. His passing ability is the best at the club, and in retrospect his two month long Dowie-enforced absence after a shocker at Man City was probably one of the gaffer’s few mistakes. If he sorts his ego out, he has the potential to dominate the first division, particularly as he’s shown a new found willingness and ability to defend this term.

Tom Soares – 6
Getting there. Works really hard and is totally fearless. The look of shock on Steven Gerrard’s Scouse mug after this young upstart had bounded into him shoulder first for the fourth or fifth time, without any interest in the Liverpool man’s reputation, was a picture.

Wayne Routledge – 7
No matter what the single brain celled ‘Judas’ merchants may say, he’ll be a huge loss to this football club. Sure, he had his quiet matches, but no other player in our squad can change a game in an instant like Wayne can. Yes, for every moment of mercurial brilliance there’s usually another of total frustration, but that can be straightened out over time. As for the off-field antics? His tears at the Valley showed that Wayne isn’t a money-grabbing mercenary, merely a lost boy being criminally misled by those who are supposed to be looking out for him.

Andrew Johnson – 8
A great ambassador for CPFC, and a footballer who can make it to the very top. Like Gooders says, I’d pick him over Owen at the moment. He still has some minor flaws – when up against big, clever defenders like Ferdinand or Boumsong he runs out of ideas pretty quickly – but given the way every other aspect of his game has improved so markedly, they will be ironed out with top flight (and international) experience. Sadly, destined for much bigger things than Palace. The very best of luck to him.

Dougie Freedman – 4.5
I’ll keep this short, lest it causes Alf Bromley, Sussex Eagle and Elephant to rock back and forth in front of their PC screens muttering “Stockport! Stockport!” while frothing at the mouth. Didn’t score enough goals. Didn’t provide any assists. But worked really hard over the season’s final weeks, and nearly made up for it all on the final day.

Sandor Torghelle – 5
The only one of our forwards who looked like forming any sort of partnership with AJ. Had some impact off the bench at Spurs and Norwich, and was unlucky to hit the post at Everton, but again his lack of goals is what will be remembered. Unfortunate to be labelled a diver and a cheat by a large contingent of his own fans, despite the fact he doesn’t fall over nearly as easily as two other, more prominent current Palace strikers. Who says there are double standards at Selhurst?

Wayne Andrews – 3.5
In the words of giant Edam-coated Irish breast Ronan Keating, “You say it best when you say nothing at all.”

Cue tumbleweed.

Neil Shipperley – 3
Widest Invisible Man ever.

Nicola Ventola – 4
Brilliant when he played, which wasn’t often. And thus, inconsequential.

Iain Dowie – 7
“Only a ‘7’”, you say. “Yes,” I say. I’d never question Dowie’s motivational skills, but there are times this season where, tactically, he’s made Trevor Francis look good. His subs bench over the first half of the season seemed to be decided by matching player’s squad numbers to the previous week’s lottery, and baffling changes in key games at Blackburn and Charlton (Popovic coming on at 0-1 down with Shipps on the bench, Aki and Powell coming on at 2-2 with Ventola on the bench) have to be questioned. He also plays favourites too often, being unquestionably loyal to the likes of Hall and Andrews, while leaving the likes of Watson and Kolkka out for long periods over one misdemeanour.

Home fans – 6
Much, much better than the last four or five seasons: more vocal, with less idiots booing players for one mistake. Then again, I don’t sit near Holmesdale A and B, so I could be the wrong person to ask.

Away fans – 8
Good atmospheres for most games this season, but not all – we’re certainly not in the same league as Newcastle or Pompey, who sing for 90 minutes wherever and whenever, making them Premiership football's answer to Shakira. Possibly. Boro and Chelsea away never got going, Man Utd in the cup was like a morgue, Blackburn and Villa we were loud but unsustained.

Nelson Muntz
20-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Iain Dowie – 7
“Only a ‘7’”, you say. “Yes,” I say. I’d never question Dowie’s motivational skills, but there are times this season where, tactically, he’s made Trevor Francis look good. His subs bench over the first half of the season seemed to be decided by matching player’s squad numbers to the previous week’s lottery, and baffling changes in key games at Blackburn and Charlton (Popovic coming on at 0-1 down with Shipps on the bench, Aki and Powell coming on at 2-2 with Ventola on the bench) have to be questioned. He also plays favourites too often, being unquestionably loyal to the likes of Hall and Andrews, while leaving the likes of Watson and Kolkka out for long periods over one misdemeanour.
Ben, you know you wanted to write '5'

smileysmith
20-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Your wish, etc...
Thanks Ben! - An accurate and entertaining read. I'd give the home fans a four though ... better at the end of the season, but rubbish for most of it - and that includes the Holmesdale.

Sussex Eagle
20-05-2005, 02:38 PM
Indeed, and I always bite if there is a row to be had.

Hope we can have a beer when I get over in August.

I might even do some ratings for the couple of games I will see live. ;)

ps see my edit above.

:) Nice one.

Sussex Eagle
20-05-2005, 02:42 PM
Good stuff there btw Ben, though obviously I will never even begin to understand the ratings for Dougie & Sandor - it seems very out of sync with your rigourously logical approach to give Sandor 'literally no tangible contribution to the season' Torghelle more than DF. Also, how does Ships get more than 1 or 2 when compared to your other ratings? If he deserves a 4, on the same reasoning Kaviedes would be at least a 5 or 6!

Benzhiyi
20-05-2005, 03:02 PM
Good stuff there btw Ben, though obviously I will never even begin to understand the ratings for Dougie & Sandor - it seems very out of sync with your rigourously logical approach to give Sandor 'literally no tangible contribution to the season' Torghelle more than DF. Also, how does Ships get more than 1 or 2 when compared to your other ratings? If he deserves a 4, on the same reasoning Kaviedes would be at least a 5 or 6!

Fair point - Shipps can have '3'.

Gooders
20-05-2005, 03:14 PM
Your wish, etc...

Mikele Leigertwood – 5.5
I apologise to Gooders on this, but I can’t join him in proclaiming Mikele our best midfielder.

*cough* Hughes

Really enjoyed reading that though Ben, cheers. :p

c_block_lad
20-05-2005, 04:36 PM
Not really into all the ratings business, but here is a couple of comments for every player.

Gabor Kiraly

Good keeper, and for a bosman free you cannot complain. Has some entaining moments, and seems to be a bit of a character. However, he has been at fault for some goals, the recent one being Charlton's 2nd on Sunday.

Danny Granville

I like Danny, I think he is a decent player. Certainly not as bad as some on here make out. He has popped up with the odd goal as well. For me his devlopment under Dowie has been amazing compared to what he was like under Francis and then Kember. However he is prone to major mistakes.

Gonzalo Sorondo

Sorondo is a class act. I remember him coming to the fore after his performance at the Charlton cup game. I think he has single handly made our defence look half decent at times this year. Will certainly be missed.

Tony Popovic

Not to sure about what to make of Poppo. At a nightmare start of the season, with that stage of going through owngoals, including his wonder strike at Portsmouth away. But then came back for the end of the season and did very well.

Darren Powell

I look Powell, I think he is a good defender. However I dont think he is good enough for the Premiership on this seaons showings.

Fitz Hall

Out of his depth in this league. Clearly a panic buy in the Summer before the window closed and £1.5M is a lot for a player who cant pass for shite.

Mark Hudson

Never seen what the fuss is about Hudson, I thought he was nothing special last year, and his performances this season have nothing to make me change my mind.

Emmerson Boyce

Although I dont rate Boyce as high as some on here. He is good defender, strong, capble and does the basics well. He has done well this season and for a bosman free from Luton Town it's been a good signing.

Danny Butterfield

Possible Player of the year last season, who has gone off the rails this year. Getting injured pre-season allowed Boyce to take his place, and with Boyce's good form Danny hasnt had a real look in. I hope he returns to his best next season.

Mikele Leigertwood

Like Hudson, never seen the fuss in the lad. I worry everytime the ball goes to him he will do something stupuid with it. Not cut out for the Premiership.

Vasillis Lakiss

Will be remembered for his Arsenal miss, but done well to set up for AKi's goal. Never had a real look in and now gone off back to AEK Athens.

Michael Hughes

Hughesy is a fantastic player, outclassed Gerrard & Viera this season during the home games. Always a battler, likes to get his foot in, but his age showed during the winter months at times.

Aki Riihilahti

Aki has done very well this season, his best since being at the club. The highlight was the Arsenal at home goal.

Joonas Kolkka

Talented player, but not the greatest worker on the pitch. Went missing for a long time as well during the middle of the season for whatever reason.

Ben Watson

I've yet to be convinced by Watson. A good passer of the ball, but has a knack of coming off the Subs bench and doing shite all. Hopefully this season will make him a better player.

Tom Soares

I wasnt impressed with Soares at first. I thought he was to young and inexperinced for the Premiership. However he has come to light towards the end of the season. What I like about Soares his he is prepared to put his foot in, regardless of the Oppo. In the words of Dowie, "He will become a proper player.

Wayne Routledge

Hit and miss. Sometimes brillant, others dire. His failure to finish the final ball is a major flaw in his game. Also needs to learn how to cross a football. And throwing his shirt to the floor wasnt the best bit of PR I ever saw either.

Andrew Johnson

An Palace superstar. This season has shown he is as good as any player in the Premiership. His England call up was long overdue, and Im sure he will play for England for many more years to come. A player of his quality wont be in the Nationwide next year, and when he leaves this summer I wish him all the luck in the world. A true Palace hero.

Dougie Freedman

£24K a week for one Premiership goal is an utter farce. Simply hasnt been good enough for the Premiership.

Sandor Torghelle

Still mythed to why Dowie paid £750,000 and then fails to play the lad. He was outstanding agasint Norwich in the first game back in August. Hasnt been given a fair crack of the whip, also terrorsed the Charlton defence in the cup game and scored a cracking winner. Hoping for a lot from the lad next season.

Wayne Andrews

Still wondering why we brought the lad. Had a good debut agasint Blackburn at home but as done nowt since.

Nicola Ventola

Another farce was the fact we paid £100,000's in wages for a player who played less than four 90 mins game for us. Good bye and good riddance.

Ivan Kaviedies

Done little of note at his time with us except a memoriable cameo role in the Hartlepool cup game, where he changed the game.

Sussex Eagle
20-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Fair point - Shipps can have '3'.

:) Not that I don't like the big man. I never realised that mods can do seamless edits long after posting. Makes sense I suppose, you need perks. Beyond those grumbles though (also, I think Soares was better than Watson but that's pretty tight), that was an excellent summary. You particularly got the ratings for the defence just about spot-on imo.