PDA

View Full Version : The Dougie Freedman appreciation thread

Terrace Bickle
16-05-2005, 07:12 PM
Maybe I'm tired and emotional and apologies if this is a duplicate thread but it just had to be reiterated.

After some of our supporters (including me) knocking Dougie for his lack of pace and inability to score this season (maybe the Premiership gives you false expectations), I think a wholehearted apology is in order.

You really have to take your hat off to this guy. I read a really nice touching piece in The Express or Mail a few weeks back when Dougie basically admitted he knew his time was up but he so desperately wanted to go out on a high a score the goal to keep us up (I really believe he meant it and it wasn't a kneejerk reaction like the comments made by Torghelle after he had his brief chance).

And he almost did it again!! So thank you Dougie for all your efforts over the years, players like you don't come around very often and it's been a pleasure to watch you play. Thanks for making me scream like a girl with your goals at Stockport and yesterday at Charlton and sorry for the stick I gave you this season, you still will go down in my book as a Palace legend.:love:

p.s. and please give AJ and Hughsie a pat on the back too for their efforts this season .:p

75points
16-05-2005, 07:21 PM
ditto -true legend

AndyStreet
16-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the memories and for doing your best yesterday Doogster.:)

newbureagle
16-05-2005, 07:27 PM
A true Palace legend. Big up Dougie!

dave_who_ru
16-05-2005, 07:31 PM
Dougie was on fire yesterday. Would have been very interesting if he had been on from the start.

forsells no1 fan
16-05-2005, 07:37 PM
He played like a a man possesed yesterday. True legend at Palace!:p

c_block_lad
16-05-2005, 07:39 PM
24K a week Freedman and one Premiership goal is an utter farce.

However Freedman remains in the Palace history books, and when he get released this summer it goes without saying I wish him all the best.

:)

LLCOOLSTEVE
16-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by c_block_lad
24K a week Freedman

And you know this for definate?

kolinkins
16-05-2005, 07:42 PM
24K a week Freedman and one Premiership goal is an utter farce.

However Freedman remains in the Palace history books, and when he get released this summer it goes without saying I wish him all the best.

:)

His contract isnt up this summer - it is up for "renegotiation". If he fails to renegotiate, he will not be released, but allowed to leave.

But, I have been a doubter, and I remain so, particularly in light of the fact that if he had played as he did yesterday in his other 18 games, we may have stayed up.

cpfclife
16-05-2005, 07:42 PM
LEGEND!!! hes done too much for us to get any stick! 95 goals now i think

daz_eagle
16-05-2005, 07:44 PM
doogs is a permanent palace hero full stop. as is aj. i hope they can keep bagin em in together in august and beyond.

Tom's Old Man
16-05-2005, 07:48 PM
I don't care what he is on, there is only one Dougie Freedman.

Sussex Eagle
16-05-2005, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by AndyStreet
Thanks for the memories and for doing your best yesterday Doogster.:)

Snide bugger, had to put a spin on it eh?

Anyone who doesn't think Dougie will do an excellent job for us in the Championship is an absolute muppet. Not that I need to clarify that when talking about c_block, but still.

c_block_lad
16-05-2005, 07:52 PM
Where did I say Freedman wont do a good job in the Nationwide?

Muppet.

follow cpfc
16-05-2005, 07:53 PM
Legend simple as

BUNGLE
16-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Not worth it unless he takes abig drop in wages, and never looked like a proper partner for Johnson so maybe not even worth any wages if were keeping Johnson?

AndyStreet
16-05-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Sussex Eagle

Anyone who doesn't think Dougie will do an excellent job for us in the Championship is an absolute muppet. Not that I need to clarify that when talking about c_block, but still.

Not snide at all. It was intended without spin. He put in an excellent performance and I cannot fault his application either yesterday. Over the course of the season he has consistently not been good enough though. He'd do a great job at Championship level, but I doubt he'd want to take a significant paycut from his hefty salary, which is why I suspect he will leave. I'll stand by my original comment. :)

Sussex Eagle
16-05-2005, 07:59 PM
Where did I say Freedman wont do a good job in the Nationwide?

Muppet.

Then why would he be released? Dougie will be offered a new contract, probably at a large reduction in salary and imo will accept it. If he had any chance of getting the same money elsewhere I could understand the 'he won't take a paycut' argument, but I'm not so much of a Dougie fan as to think anyone is going to pay him more than a decent Championship wage.

Chav.

c_block_lad
16-05-2005, 08:04 PM
Then why would he be released? Dougie will be offered a new contract, probably at a large reduction in salary and imo will accept it. If he had any chance of getting the same money elsewhere I could understand the 'he won't take a paycut' argument, but I'm not so much of a Dougie fan as to think anyone is going to pay him more than a decent Championship wage.

Chav.

He will be released because of his high salary, and if he is offered a new contract as you say it will be a vastly reduced salary, and if Freedman accepts that who knows?

Personally I would offer him a one year deal because he can do stuff in the Nationwide but we will see.

So it's pretty laughable to suggest I have never said Freedman will do a good job in the Nationwide, because he will.

Prehaps you need to read posts before defending your hero Dougie? ;)

LLCOOLSTEVE
16-05-2005, 08:09 PM
He will be released because of his high salary, and if he is offered a new contract as you say it will be a vastly reduced salary, and if Freedman accepts that who knows?

Why would he leave?

c_block_lad
16-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Because another team might offer him a better wage package.

Granted it might not happen but a lot of teams would be intrested in a out of contact experinced striker who has a proven track record in the Nationwide...

LLCOOLSTEVE
16-05-2005, 08:12 PM

Granted it might not happen but a lot of teams would be intrested in a out of contact experinced striker who has a proven track record in the Nationwide...

Fair enough, but he wouldnt want to go.

jim the eagle
16-05-2005, 08:33 PM
Offer him a decent contract, 2years and I'm sure he will stay

Pub Idol
17-05-2005, 11:22 AM

So he might go and he might stay. None us really know whats gonna pan out. And so what if his salary is high. If thats what Palace agreed to pay him then fair enough.

Personally I think he will stay and help us get up next year.

Great Lombardi
17-05-2005, 11:31 AM
Palace legend. Plain and simple. Almost kept us up with some sublime skill. Not bothered if he is paid a lot. Had problems in front of goal, but so did everybody apart from AJ.

LeeH
17-05-2005, 11:34 AM
is great on the big occasions, was a little off the pace when he came on this season but will always be a Palace legend and will be happy to see him finish his carreer with us, providing he is happy to take a pay cut.

smileysmith
17-05-2005, 11:35 AM
:love: Love ya Dougie. Please don't listen to any stupid Palace fans with short memories.

Really thought you'd saved us again ...

Hope you can stay. :)

jazman
17-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Nice one Dougie. He will do a job for us in the Championship next season although at 24k a week I'm not sure ....

Clapham Grand
17-05-2005, 11:45 AM
I would like to see him get 100 goals for Palace - hopefully more!

kestoneagle
17-05-2005, 03:57 PM
I'd be very happy to see The Dougster stay for another year or so and a renegotiated contract. He's been fantastic for us and deserves a big thank you. Have a word will you Steve.

Maz
17-05-2005, 04:07 PM
I was wrong about Dougie.

He has still got it.

But will we see more of it?

Duffle Coat
17-05-2005, 04:15 PM
I am serious here. I really believe we should put up a statue or fountain as a monument to Dougie. I think the guy is our talisman. He has seen it all and been through it all. I heard him on Radio 5 not long after the defeat at Charlton. He has guts and guile. Why not have some kind of concourse in SP for our centenary, the Dougie Freedman Piazza ? He (Dougie) could represent all our heroes as he is the embodiment of them. Dougie:love:

Chief Brody
17-05-2005, 04:20 PM

Agreed.

The Misfit
17-05-2005, 04:20 PM
I heard him being interviewed on 5 Live after the game on Sunday and he continually talked in terms of "we're good enough to go straight back up" which suggests he still feels he has a future with us. I hope so cos although he has looked out of his depth in the Premiership this season, his ability at Championship level is well proven.

If he does leave it will be the end of an era though. Let's never forget the importance of that goal at Stockport. Without it we certainly wouldn't have been in a position to get promoted to the top flight last season. Top man.

joe walker
17-05-2005, 04:27 PM
dunno about 24k/week, hes on about 11k/week

he was due a goal this season, and he nearly saved us, just a shame he couldnt score in that run in the side he had during january/febrauary

you can't say he hasn't tried this season, just off the pace now (excluding charlton, he was a man possessed)

legend

Jay_eagle
17-05-2005, 04:39 PM
thanks doogs palace legend thanks for what you have done for us, from stockport to charlton cheers! :p

Hayes_Eagle
17-05-2005, 04:57 PM
http://rednbluearmy.50g.com/freedmans%20goals.htm

99percent
17-05-2005, 10:36 PM
:) unbeleivable..majic.....part of modern Palace folklore:p

Sussex Eagle
17-05-2005, 10:42 PM
Anyone else thinking about getting a 'Dougie 100' shirt next season? :)

kolinkins
17-05-2005, 11:16 PM
Anyone else thinking about getting a 'Dougie 100' shirt next season? :)

Dougie 100 Games Per Goal?

Billyd
17-05-2005, 11:22 PM
he might stay at palace next season, if he does he'll have a massive pay cut. If he does leave it will be to get 1st team football not more money. which is fair enough

Jay_Palace
17-05-2005, 11:22 PM
I will be gutted beyond belief if he leaves, he's a true red and blue hero in my book and he has so much more to offer the team in the championship.

I have been harsh on him in the past, but he is a special player and I'm sure he will score a few in the championship.

imashed
17-05-2005, 11:23 PM
walkin in a freedman wonderland,hope you stay to get us back:lux:

imashed
17-05-2005, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins
Dougie 100 Games Per Goal?
he had a bad season but then so did 8-9 other players so he can hold his head high and remeber that he saved us

ANDYEAGLE
17-05-2005, 11:25 PM
Give the Doug another season,he is a legend and can still hack it. Is he out of contract or has he one more year?
He will take a big pay cut to stay because he loves us and has never been happy elsewhere.

sydnsteve
18-05-2005, 09:54 AM

Chav.

Exactly. Where would he leave to that will pay him anything like he got this season? There is no-one in the Prem that would have him, and i suspect not many in the Championship. I am sure he will take his one season of wealth and sign a new contract, unless ID cannot say he will get a reasonable number of games, which Dowie has suggested.

Malakite
18-05-2005, 10:22 AM
Dougie - you are class and I PRAY you stick around next season too :p

paf
18-05-2005, 10:27 AM
cows arse banjo, too slow, too old, too expensive. bye.

daz_eagle
18-05-2005, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by paf
cows arse banjo, too slow, too old, too expensive. bye.

:veryangry

Al From Bromley
18-05-2005, 10:34 AM
Youve spent too long out in the sticks paf. ;)

I honestly believe that if he had have played in both the final games from the start in a 4-4-2 with the option of chucking Ventola on for the last twenty, we'd still be in the premiership. He remains the man for the occasion ever since he came on and banged two quick goals in against Wolves in that semi a few years years ago.

Maz
18-05-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Al From Bromley
I honestly believe that if he had have played in both the final games from the start in a 4-4-2 with the option of chucking Ventola on for the last twenty, we'd still be in the premiership. He remains the man for the occasion ever since he came on and banged two quick goals in against Wolves in that semi a few years years ago.

I may not agree with your specific solution but I see where you're coming from.

What you're really saying is that some of Dowie's tactics (and substitutions) may have cost us our place.

I agree. I think he still has a lot to learn. But I hope he stays and learns it with us.

andy m
18-05-2005, 10:44 AM
This is sadder to me than relegation. My favourite player of all time, and its not often you can say that about somebody currently in the squad. No other Palace player would have scored that goal against Charlton, or even the one in the cup against them for that matter. I was at Port Vale for something not disimilar a few years ago and if Charlton away was his last game for us then I'm proud to say I was there for that as well.

As for his goalscoring record this season, I think we're being slightly harsh on a man who had to spend half the season before he got a game, and then gets a run of a few games before being dropped again. At the start of the season we all thought he'd leave. He said he'd left us once and knew that he wanted to stay. He put the effort in in the reserves and reclaimed a place in the first team squad. Thats an achievement of sorts, and better than Shipps, Torghelle, Andrews ... This man loves Palace, and is a good player, especially in the first division. I hope he stays and I hope the crowning moment of his Palace career is scoring the goal which takes us up. I want to say goodbye to him in happier times than these.

kestoneagle
18-05-2005, 10:49 AM
Come on LLCoolSteve....give us some good news from the horse's mouth please. :(

johnnytemper
18-05-2005, 11:01 AM
He's a true Palace legend, I was unhappy at the thought that after the Southampton match and Ventola's return we might have seen the last of the Doog, was delighted when he came on against Charlton and was magnificant! (A performance that deserves a lot of credit since had he succeeded in keeping us up, he would have been one of the first out the door in the summer, most likely).

We should certainly keep him for a crack at the Championship next season (on much reduced wages), he certainly still has the ability to perform well for us at that level.

Super Mabbutt
18-05-2005, 06:29 PM
My prediction is that the Doug will re-sign and top the 100 goal mark.

A true Palace legend.

:love:

I.Flyer
18-05-2005, 10:04 PM
When Dougie is warming up on the touchline, I still want to be able to shout out to him next season "I really love you, Dougie" :). Sometimes I even get a small acknowledgement.

Apart from his footballs talents I have spoken to him on several occasions and have always found him, like Aki, a very polite and personable man.

Whatever happens, thanks for all the good memories, Doug.

AndyStreet
18-05-2005, 10:07 PM
Youve spent too long out in the sticks paf. ;)

No we wouldn't. Our midfield hasn't been good enough all season. Dowie was perfectly justified in playing 5 men in midfield for both games, as the fact we grabbed 2-1 leads twice shows. It was defensive lapses that truly cost us, not a failure to score in those games.

He still did well when he came on against Charlton though.

dodge_bond
18-05-2005, 10:11 PM
theres only one Dougie Freedman . . . . .

Matt_Hep
18-05-2005, 10:14 PM
That was one of the best individual performances of the season and on for such little time too. Fantastic performance and like someone else said, we were so close to staying up (5 minutes) and it would have been Dougie's input that masterminded the final escape. People said that he couldn't repeat his Stockport feat, but he did (Ok, to an extent).

kolinkins
18-05-2005, 10:15 PM

Like the Norwich match you mean?

Great Lombardi
19-05-2005, 08:19 AM
Like the Norwich match you mean?

Just what is it with your constant digs at Dougie?? They are becoming quite tiresome.

Where does all this bitterness come from?????? You are becoming as predictable as a certain person whenever an Adie Akinbiyi subject rears it's ugly head.

Get over it.

rhiannapaul
19-05-2005, 11:15 PM
Dougie is a legend and should stay and will score lots next season with the prima donna ventola fecking off big time charlie .doug has the cute touches around the box and plays to AJ feet which was lacking in the 4- 5-1 formation

imashed
19-05-2005, 11:25 PM
stay doug we need you to get out of this fizzey league don't listen to the minority

Matt_Hep
16-06-2005, 09:16 PM

Jay_eagle
16-06-2005, 11:58 PM
yes palace legend love you dougs

andy burton
17-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Got to stay - will always score at this level - and we need a squad not just 11 players. He's the most natural goalscorer at the club - and we need a squad not just 11 players. If AJ got injured or left he's the most natural player to fill in.

GDP
17-06-2005, 02:00 PM
The wee mon is pure class. I would love to see him get 15-20 goals next season. He loves the club aswell. Hopefully he stays and with AJ and Macken things will be well lively up front!

sydnsteve
17-06-2005, 03:09 PM
The Adder seems hopeful he will sign, and he says he is not bothered that Macken has signed but sees it as a positive move. Very much hope he stays.
Though he is not in Shipps' class of course, Kolinks

P.Hep
17-06-2005, 11:18 PM
He really has to stay, losing him to one of our promotion rivals would be a terrible mistake. Dougie's a class player and has proven himself time and time again at this level, this is his season to reach 100 goals for us and beyond!

:p

If anyone knows the man then please point him in the direction of this thread if he needs any convincing to stay in red and blue.

Essexeagle
19-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Plus - we'll be playing Wolves this season. And Dougie loves playing against Wolves :)

Matt_Hep
19-06-2005, 03:23 PM
I'm in no doubt that he can get the 20+ goals this season to take us straight back up again, would be fantastic to see.

19-06-2005, 03:33 PM
who let the doug out

Sussex Eagle
20-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
Though he is not in Shipps' class of course, Kolinks

:D :o :p

daz_eagle
20-06-2005, 04:18 PM
we love doogs we love doogs.

Matt_Hep
22-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!!! get in!!!!! get the f*** in! Just the news I was hoping for before heading off to Glastonbury!!

Come on Dougie - we want 20+ this coming season, pull your finger out and get the goals we know you're capable of. Our banner will be in support of you at every home (and some away matches) you're the one true Palace player we still have, proud to have you in the shirt..

http://www.btinternet.com/~p.hep/freedmanbanner.jpg

Our 6th top scorer of all time, 23 more goals and he has scored more than Ian Wright.

Come on Dougie, we believe!!!!

paf
22-06-2005, 05:02 PM
I'm as equally dissapointed as you are happy Matt_Hep, horses for courses and all that, just felt it was time for him to move on, we've too many strikers.

Matt_Hep
22-06-2005, 05:14 PM
We've far too many strikers, so it would make sense to weed out the crap ones, surely?

Andrews, Torghelle, David James' understudy...hmmmm, or should we get rid of our 6th all time goalscorer, a guy we know can net 20+ in this division? You're right, Andrews it is!!

I'll take you out for as much beer as you can drink (and maybe a Chinese buffet to round the night off) when Dougie sends us up next season, see you then.

P.S Dress nice..

paf
22-06-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Matt_Hep

I'll take you out for as much beer as you can drink (and maybe a Chinese buffet to round the night off) when Dougie sends us up next season, see you then.

P.S Dress nice..

Top effort, cant say fairer than that, and on the basis of a free chinese I will be supporting Dougies effort all the way.

Mackenuff
02-08-2005, 03:39 PM
On this crazy day of AJ contract extensions and AJ threads galore, I am proposing a toast to 'The Doooooug' so he doesn't feel left out.

Cheers Dougie, I still love ya more than AJ.

:lux: :lux: :lux:

smileysmith
02-08-2005, 03:42 PM
I am still loving the Doog more than AJ.

THERES ONLY ONE DOUGIE FREEDMAN ....

LeeH
02-08-2005, 03:49 PM
There's only one........ :p

palacemad1
02-08-2005, 07:44 PM
trouble is dougie will start on bench this season hes better than macken

Balti Man
02-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Dougie!!!!!!!!

sparticus
02-08-2005, 08:16 PM
oh but who remebers when he 1st came....he was flipping awsome!! then he left and i criyed then he came bk and i cryed more in happiness

hernehilleagle
02-08-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by sparticus
oh but who remebers when he 1st came....he was flipping awsome!! then he left and i criyed then he came bk and i cryed more in happiness

:p

Hereford Eagle
03-08-2005, 10:06 AM
leg~end pure and simple!!!!