PDA

View Full Version : Basic Point For Next Season

Farawayeagle
17-05-2005, 12:29 PM
We cannot persist with 4 5 1. The goals AJ can score will not be enough to get us direct promotion or the play offs.

Let's look at primary goalscorers for the promotion and play off teams.

Sunderland

Stewart 16
Elliot 15
Arca 8

Wigan

Ellington 24
Roberts 21
McCullogh 14

Ipswich

Kuqi 19
Bent 19
Miller 13

West Ham

Harewood 22
Sheringham 21
Zamora 10

Preston

Cresswell 17
Alexander 7
Nugent 9
Healey 5
Lucketti 4
Agyemang 4
Sedgwick 4
McKenna 4
Lewis 4

Derby

Rasiak 16
Smith 11
Idkaez 9
Tudgay 9
Peschisolido 8

We must have a regular goalscoring partner(s) for AJ and preferably a midfielder kicking in 9 or 10 goals.

In our promotion season 2003/2004 we had:

AJ 32
Freedman 15
Shipperley 10

Trilby
17-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Agree completely.

PalaceMonkey
17-05-2005, 12:32 PM
not Ships though!

Aj
Doog
Torghelle
Mystery Midfield signing who can score! :p

Stevieboy2
17-05-2005, 12:34 PM
Agree also.

Need more ooomph in midfield.

Trilby
17-05-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by PalaceMonkey
not Ships though!

Aj
Doog
Torghelle
Mystery Midfield signing who can score! :p As much as I love the Doog, I think we (and he) need to move on. Has Ventola signed permanently now?

Radders
17-05-2005, 12:38 PM
Agree, but I think the 4-5-1 was for the premiership. Had we been in the Championship I think Sandor, Shipps, Dougie and Andrews :eek: would have had a few more run outs alongside AJ.

PhilD
17-05-2005, 12:39 PM
I don't think there is any chance whatsoever of Dowie playing one upfront in the championship, afterall he didn't do it once last season.

GreatGonzo
17-05-2005, 12:40 PM
What we have to remember is that the division we have just left most of our players were below average. In the championship the majority will be above average.

We needed 3 midfielders to try to dominate the 2 our opponents had, in the Fizzy pop the roles will probably be reversed. This will naturally allow us to revert to the 4-4-2.

Then we come to will AJ score 45 goals to do it on his own? Yes he could if we provide him with 150 chances! That is what it all coms down to, we have to produce the chances for whoever scores and THAT was our problem this season. Watson will play more next season, so will Soares, maybe even as the centre 2 in some games! And between them they can create. The worry is down the sides, with Lakis Kollka and Wayne all leaving we HAVE to find wide players who can create chances. When we get them we need to have the players to connect, no point player 2 short strikers and having the best player in teh world crossing the ball when they can't get to it.

In summary the drop in division will facilitate 4-4-2 but we then need to find the players to go wide, otherwise we would have to go 4-3-3!

maestro
17-05-2005, 12:40 PM
We need a clear out the players just making up the numbers and bring in:

winger
central midfield player
another striker

Out can go about 10 or so players

Adlerhorst
17-05-2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
In summary the drop in division will facilitate 4-4-2 but we then need to find the players to go wide, otherwise we would have to go 4-3-3!

Tempted to believe that 4-3-3 might be the way forward - in the same way that Chelsea mid season played it - i.e can revert to 4-5-1 if needed during the match. Exploit AJ's pace on the right of the three, Torg as the central striker and need one more - Commons being my choice.

Also means that could play three of Watson / Soares / Hughes / Aki in the middle three. Borrowdale and Butterfield at full back with Marlene moving into the middle with Hall.

That way you've got an experienced spine, a midfield that can play, threat from full back, and various options up front.

Just a thought.

GreatGonzo
17-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Not a bad thought but my concern is Butterfields lack of pace is really found out in the premiership, and as Boyce would play there if we bounce back he should get the role on the right so he can devlop the extra skills he needs coming forward.

Commons is a good shout, either up front or on the left of a midfield 4. If we were playing 3 up i would go for Lita for similarity to AJ on either side of Torghelle. Or Boyd so you have AJ's pace, Torghelle's strength and Biyds craft up there!

daz_eagle
17-05-2005, 03:11 PM
andy johnson
dougie freedman
sandor torghelle

it's in the bag.

Boyandy
17-05-2005, 03:23 PM
Don't know why, but I have a feeling that the ginger maestro will step up to the plate next season establish himself as a pivotal member of the side - weighing in with a few long range belters as well.

He'll probably then bugger off to Spurs but it'll be nice while it lasts.

Stevieboy2
17-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Does anyone think that Routledge will definitely go?

Angry Eagle
17-05-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Stevieboy2
Does anyone think that Routledge will definitely go?
Is there really any doubt? He will go, the only question is whether we get any decent money for him.:(

Jasper
17-05-2005, 05:36 PM
We wont play 4-5-1. That was used to ensure we didnt get overun in midfield. We were able to play it because we have a Striker good enough to play upfront alone at any level.

By the Way, I dont think Torghelle will do much in the Championship. Either will Shipperly or Andrews.

MAB
17-05-2005, 05:45 PM
Here's an interesting one, I am pretty sure that Stewart has been released by Sunderland (was on Sky Sports a few days ago)

A possibility??

MAB
17-05-2005, 05:47 PM
100% sure

http://www.safc.com/news/?page_id=7193

Jaserob
17-05-2005, 05:54 PM
Our midfield will be strong enough with 4 across it next year in the Championship. Won't need to play 4-5-1

Adlerhorst
17-05-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by MAB
Here's an interesting one, I am pretty sure that Stewart has been released by Sunderland (was on Sky Sports a few days ago)

A possibility??

Heard McCarthy give his thoughts on this. Basically he was of the opinion that Stewart is no longer good enough for the Premiership (and Stewart agreed apparently), and it was fairer to let him go than have him do a Dougie.

Would rather we went for young up and coming striker than someone like this. Time and a place in the Premiership for experience (of the Kevin Campbell variety at least) but not really sure i want the club to be going for players with Championship experience - sooner risk a kid.

Adlerhorst
17-05-2005, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Jasper
By the Way, I dont think Torghelle will do much in the Championship. Either will Shipperly or Andrews.

Andrews i completely agree with.

Shipps is a lump and gets in the way and did a pretty reasonable job of that last time round. There has always been a place for players like that in the Championship. Torghelle is a more mobile lump than Shipperly, he'll either take it by storm or sink without a trace.