PDA

View Full Version : IF Hughes DOES WANT TO GO,

deanchilds
17-05-2005, 10:41 PM
that would be more of a shock then AJ leaving, out of all the players that we have id say he was a dead cert not to go!!

am in shock about it to be honest!

Palace Bear
17-05-2005, 10:46 PM
who says he does

gjtango
17-05-2005, 10:46 PM
Yet again, where is your source? Sounds like a load of bollocks to me.

Eagle El
17-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Not funny or in the least factual

suits_you
17-05-2005, 10:51 PM
what you playing at dean?

imashed
17-05-2005, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by deanchilds
that would be more of a shock then AJ leaving, out of all the players that we have id say he was a dead cert not to go!!

am in shock about it to be honest!
i think you live in a fantasy,and i wish we had a block on all the so called leavers until we get near the start of the season

Sussex Eagle
17-05-2005, 10:52 PM
Where would he be going?

deanchilds
17-05-2005, 10:56 PM
i just read it in the sun.

im just honestly shocked that he (if its true) wants to leave!!

Jay_Palace
17-05-2005, 10:58 PM

Ah yes the Sun, the font of all knowledge :rolleyes:

gjtango
17-05-2005, 10:59 PM

The Sun thats out now...LOL.

Billyd
17-05-2005, 11:25 PM
apparently hughes wants premiership football.......

Sussex Eagle
17-05-2005, 11:32 PM
Not to be disrespectful, but I doubt any Premiership side, barring perhaps the just promoted ones, would want him. He's been great for us, but he's old and probably looked upon as a Coca Cola player by most. I very much doubt he's really said that anyway.

RDSdaEAGLE
17-05-2005, 11:39 PM
We'll find out on Saturday I guess, after the POTY dinner!

BaldEagle96
18-05-2005, 07:22 AM
If Hughes or any of the others really do not want to stay at Palace then :hi::hi:

However I would expect if interviewed every single player from each club that went down would say yes to a question about whether they would prefer to be playing in the Premier League or not next season.. Most of them, though, would not get any offers from those clubs already there. After all collectively they were not good enough to keeo us, Naaarwich or Soton in that division!!

joshua
18-05-2005, 10:26 AM
I think this is just an old quote theve dug up from the end of last season when he was talking about going up, and theve used it to make it sound like he wants to leave.

Im sure he does want to play premiership football, im sure all players do, but with him getting on a bit now, i cant see the offers flying in, if one did, im sure he'll take it, but i'll be suprised if he's not playing here next season

David of Kent
18-05-2005, 10:33 AM
If he wants to go, he wants to go. Like any others there I would rather they say so early in the summer (albeit hopefully in private to management) and hopefully we can get a good deal on them, than they stay here not 100% committed to us (not that I'm suggesting Hughes isn't!!).

I still remember getting relegated in '95 and trying to go up with the likes of Coleman and Shaw still in the team. These guys were good players but they wanted back in the prem and weren't committed to us. It was only when they all left that we started flying up the table the next season.

andy m
18-05-2005, 10:33 AM
All I'll say is that for me he did as much as anyone to keep us in with a chance all season. I'll be surprised and a bit annoyed if he does want to go, but he's earned the right more than others.

Tommy Pickle
18-05-2005, 10:34 AM
He's not going to get any offers from any other prem club.

AJ8
18-05-2005, 12:41 PM
Apparently he'll be moved on... not his choice

davematt
18-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by AJ8
Apparently he'll be moved on... not his choice

:eek: :eek:

We would need our brains re-examind if we let Michael Hughes go. Along with AJ, we would have been down before Christmas without him.

Jay_Palace
18-05-2005, 12:45 PM
No direct quotes to support these comments of course, just typical media shit stirring.

Trilby
18-05-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
We'll find out on Saturday I guess, after the POTY dinner! Indeed. I'll eat his face if he tells me he's leaving.

adonkis
18-05-2005, 12:48 PM
did he not get a new deal, im sure there was a clause in his contract if he played so many games he'd get a new contract?? if so i cant see anyone particularly dowie wanting to move him on - to me he seems the type of player dowie wants them all to be!!

GreatGonzo
18-05-2005, 12:48 PM
Not too concerned about that to be honest. Will he hack the pemiership in 06/07? If the answer is no (which it probably is) then ship him out now and get a central midfield partnership bedded in over the next 12 months after all central midfield is where there is most competition for places we have 6 players fighting for 2/3 places!

sydney eagle
18-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by davematt
:eek: :eek:

We would need our brains re-examind if we let Michael Hughes go. Along with AJ, we would have been down before Christmas without him. agreed

Jay_Palace
18-05-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
Not too concerned about that to be honest. Will he hack the pemiership in 06/07? If the answer is no (which it probably is) then ship him out now and get a central midfield partnership bedded in over the next 12 months after all central midfield is where there is most competition for places we have 6 players fighting for 2/3 places!

I personally think that a midfield combo of Watson and Soares is on the verge of being established, and those two could be one of the very best partnerships in the championship. However it would be madness to get rid of Hughsie; you don't get promoted with only kids in your squad, you need experience.

Beanie
18-05-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Billyd
apparently hughes wants premiership football.......
We should show any player that doesn't the door!!

Will he be up to it in 2006? who knows - step 1 is to get the team promoted then worry about that.

GreatGonzo
18-05-2005, 12:56 PM
Beanie we got promoted and then worried about it this time last year and it was too late. We have to plan the next 5 years now, sad as it is that is what we did in the late 80s and built a team that was together for 5 years with few changes!

I agree we need experience but those young players are starting to get it and we have Aki and Hughes in the squad, maybe we only need 1 of those two and what are the comparative wages?

Tommy Pickle
18-05-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by adonkis
did he not get a new deal, im sure there was a clause in his contract if he played so many games he'd get a new contract?? if so i cant see anyone particularly dowie wanting to move him on - to me he seems the type of player dowie wants them all to be!!

Except ID didn't think that at the beginnning of the season. Hughes was not considered good enough for the campaign. It is only because we were unable to bring in a replacement, that ID had to back Hughsey.

As much as i love the guy, it wouldn't sadden me too much if he were to move on.

Falco
18-05-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Pickle
Except ID didn't think that at the beginnning of the season. Hughes was not considered good enough for the campaign. It is only because we were unable to bring in a replacement, that ID had to back Hughsey.

As much as i love the guy, it wouldn't sadden me too much if he were to move on.

I think ID has gone on record as admitting he was wrong (as I recall, he was worried about a lack of height in midfield as much as anything), and the fact that since those first few games he has (apart from suspension) played every minute of every game supports this. Unquestionably our best player in 2005 so far, we need to do everything we can to keep him. But I couldn't blame him if he wanted (and felt he deserves) one last Premiership campaign.

Gooders
18-05-2005, 01:20 PM
Hughes could do a job next season if he's motivated, but it's surely certain that he will not be up to it the season after if we get promoted.

Therefore, if we can get cash for him now and he wants to go - I'd say take it.

st albans
18-05-2005, 01:22 PM
he made these comments a while before we got relagated, and just said he wants to play premiership football, which is what all footballers want, he did not say it since we went down

Malakite
18-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
Not too concerned about that to be honest. Will he hack the pemiership in 06/07? If the answer is no (which it probably is) then ship him out now and get a central midfield partnership bedded in over the next 12 months after all central midfield is where there is most competition for places we have 6 players fighting for 2/3 places! :veryangry

Malakite
18-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Gooders
Hughes could do a job next season if he's motivated, but it's surely certain that he will not be up to it the season after if we get promoted.

Therefore, if we can get cash for him now and he wants to go - I'd say take it. Not you as well! :bash:

Falco
18-05-2005, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Malakite
Not you as well! :bash:

I agree. For Hughes' performances over the last 9 months (and 5 months especially), people should be as aghast at him leaving as they are at the prospect of AJ leaving. You do not easily pick up players who combine the skill Hughes has with his determination and will to win.

sydnsteve
18-05-2005, 03:01 PM
I think he is 33. That means he could easily have another 3 years in him. He is far and away our best midfielder, and close to being our best player. Some people must have sh@t in their eyes.

Gooders
18-05-2005, 03:08 PM
There's no need for that.

I voiced my opinion that he will not be a force in the Premiership the season after next if we are lucky enough to be there. It's just my opinion.

You can disagree without accusing people of having shit in their eyes.

Jack Regan
18-05-2005, 03:14 PM
You can disagree without accusing people of having shit in their eyes.

Maybe he can't.

Maybe that's the only way he can express himself.

Like those idiots on here who seem happy enough to use that stupid :bash: symbol to reply to everything they don't like.

budgie
18-05-2005, 03:26 PM
If he wants to go let him. He put in some great performances last season, but his best one's were after we had a break, and he had time to rest. His best days are now behind him, and we need someone that can control the midfield, and is young enough to be around in the next 2-3 years, when we are back in the premiership.

Detroit
18-05-2005, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Trilby
Indeed. I'll eat his face if he tells me he's leaving.

does one take condiments with that?

Detroit
18-05-2005, 03:37 PM

Therefore, if we can get cash for him now and he wants to go - I'd say take it.

Glazer needs bean counters like you, hey go apply!!

Ardent Eagle Forever
18-05-2005, 03:38 PM
The Sun is a sh*te trouble making rag, shame on you for even contemplating belief!

sprewell
18-05-2005, 03:49 PM
If this is true who can blame him for wanting premiership football next season. Hes only got a few years left. He should of easily played for one of the bigger clubs in his career anyway. He has been inspirational for us this season and i would think in a stronger team he wouldnt have to do half as much as he did at palace.Which would prolong his career maybe. He must of done the most running in the premiership. His workrate is second to none. His crosses are also very valuable. How many premiership teams have people who can cross a ball like hughes? Not many .This would also give soares and watson chance to get experience and become the future of the midfield. So In my opinion hughes deserves 1 more season in the premiership due to his undoubted talent and workrate.