PDA

View Full Version : Reading Between Simons' Lines

Jack Regan
18-05-2005, 09:59 AM
This isn’t meant to be a wind up, so please Baldy, no banging your head against a brick wall. It might just be me being old and cynical (again) but I can’t help thinking………

Simon says AJ (and Iain) are staying. OK, that’s clear enough.

But Simon ALSO adds ‘Until someone tells be otherwise’

That’s the bit that worries me because that sounds like a caveat.

The majority of people on the BBS have been following football long enough to realise that when certain statements are made, the opposite is true.

What sort of players these days are placed ‘on the transfer list?’ – troublemakers or dead-wood has-beens, that’s who.

It is now standard practice that you DO NOT, under any circumstances, place your best players on the transfer list.

You do the exact opposite. What you do is slap a ‘NOT FOR SALE’ tag on him, and tell everyone that’ll listen that you wouldn’t sell him for £X Million. In other words, you’re telling everyone that that’s the reserve price at which you want the bidding to start. It’s what Everton did with Shrek.

If you’re smart you’ll have your player on a nice long contract which will also have to be bought-out by the purchasing club.

Sound familiar?

The man who I regard as the straightest man in football admitted at a Fans Forum about 20 years ago that Palace had in the past, deliberately put out misleading stories that they were bidding for certain players just to make it look as though we were actively doing something, even when we weren’t.

If Steve Coppell is capable of spin, then isn’t Simon?

moverman
18-05-2005, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Jack Regan

But Simon ALSO adds ‘Until someone tells be otherwise’

That’s the bit that worries me because that sounds like a caveat.

I was wondering why AJ had moved out of his house. :sob:

Justin
18-05-2005, 10:04 AM
I thought he had moved to another one in the Beckenham area.

all 5 of us
18-05-2005, 10:04 AM
I think he means it, I think AJ & Dowie are staying. As for the phrase "unless someone tells me otherwise", Dowie says it too, as do many other footballing folk. It's up there with other cliches like ... at the end of the day, sick as a parrott, chucking cups of tea in the dressing room. Don't read too much into it, I say.

Jack Regan
18-05-2005, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by all 5 of us
I think he means it, I think AJ & Dowie are staying.

I hope I'm wrong about all this but the fact remains that just because someone is on a contract these days, the only thing it means is that they can't leave on a Bosman.

Nothing else.

And the way to alert everyone that a player IS for sale is to say that he's NOT for sale. And even tell everone the price that he's NOT for sale at!

Jack Regan
18-05-2005, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Justin

Perhaps moverman has inside info?

PERHAPS moverman did the move?

We need to be told.

Justin
18-05-2005, 10:12 AM
Perhaps Moverman bought his house?

Sir.S.C Remembered
18-05-2005, 10:15 AM
He also said he wouldn't sell him for any sum and didn't have to

joshua
18-05-2005, 10:16 AM
well i think your reading too much into it, Its not like it was a pre-prepered statement, people dont always think about every single word they say in an interview, and whats he supposed to say?

If you really think its a caveat then the someone would proberly be aj, afterall if he says he want to leave then he'll go, all sj can do is say that he's not intending to sell him.

Jack Regan
18-05-2005, 10:17 AM
Perhaps Moverman bought his house?

I heard that Moverman is buying up properties all over Beckenham as part of his 'Lebensraum' policy whereby he removes Charlton fans and replaces them with decent, law-abiding, tax-paying Palace fans.

Jack Regan
18-05-2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Sir.S.C Remembered
He also said he wouldn't sell him for any sum and didn't have to

If he said that, I'd be happy.

But he DIDN'T. He said he wouldn't sell him for £10M or £15M.

That's why I'm worried.

Jack Regan
18-05-2005, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by joshua
he's not intending to sell him.

I am not intending to change job this year.

But I might.

I am not intending to move house this year.

But I might.

I am not intending to change my car this year.

But I might.

moverman
18-05-2005, 10:28 AM
decent, law-abiding, tax-paying Palace fans.

What, like ammiller..........:D

moverman
18-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Perhaps moverman has inside info?

PERHAPS moverman did the move?

We need to be told.

A CLUE:

He's heading in the same direction as Carl Cort 5 years ago.

:eek:

I think.

andy m
If you read Jordan's statement of one of intent to keep him, but to get no less than £10m if he goes, well then I think I'd live with that. Don't want him to go. However, on the one hand we were relegated, so can we really expect to keep him, and on the other hand thats an awful lot of money for a player who's had one good Prem season.

Either way, the only person who can decide this move is AJ. If he wants to go then he'll go. We all know that. I just look at the man, and consider where we were when he signed his new contract. We've been likely to go down all season, but that didn't stop him committing to the club in the long term. I think he'll stay on that basis, and that basis alone.

Richard
The man who I regard as the straightest man in football admitted at a Fans Forum about 20 years ago that Palace had in the past, deliberately put out misleading stories that they were bidding for certain players just to make it look as though we were actively doing something, even when we weren’t.

If Steve Coppell is capable of spin, then isn’t Simon?

Quite.

Always read between the lines !

Justin
18-05-2005, 10:31 AM
If I was you I would house Miller in Charlton.

moverman
18-05-2005, 10:31 AM

Correct, Justin.

Not far from you in millionaires row.

Jack Regan
18-05-2005, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by moverman
A CLUE:

He's heading in the same direction as Carl Cort 5 years ago.

:eek:

I think.

For those that don't know, moverman moved Carl Cort to....

Noo-cassel

joshua
18-05-2005, 10:36 AM
I am not intending to change job this year.

But I might.

I am not intending to move house this year.

But I might.

I am not intending to change my car this year.

But I might.

yes that seems about right, hes not intending to sell aj, though if aj comes to him and says he wants to leave, then he proberly will.
Hes not intending to, but if liverpool or newcastle offer 15 million he proberly will accept it.

He cant say uunder no circumstances, as there are some that might happen, all he cansay is he'll do his best to keep him.

sydnsteve
18-05-2005, 10:53 AM
I think it was Dowie that said 'until someone tells me otherwise', not SJ. In fact I'm sure of it. And it worried me, as I've put on another thread. I just can't see him staying in the championship I'm afraid. He isn't young, and is in the England squad. He'll want prem footie and I can't blame him

Jack Regan
18-05-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
I think it was Dowie that said 'until someone tells me otherwise', not SJ.

I heard Iain say that phrase on the BBC and Simon say it on Sky Sports News.

Like anyone is going to TELL Simon anything.

Trolley
18-05-2005, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by joshua
yes that seems about right, hes not intending to sell aj, though if aj comes to him and says he wants to leave, then he proberly will.

It is 'Naivety' of the highest order to believe that 'Johnson' will be donning the shirt at the commencement of the season.

:sob:

Maz
18-05-2005, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Trolley
It is 'Naivety' of the highest order to believe that 'Johnson' will be donning the shirt at the commencement of the season.

I remember you saying exactly the same thing about Labour winning a third term.

Your predictions have all the credibility of a Punch and Judy show.

Trolley
18-05-2005, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Maz

Your predictions have all the credibility of a Punch and Judy show.

Like the 'revelations' that 'Akinbiyi' would NEVER 'Don' the shirt again, that 'Kaviedes' would be returning to his homeland and that 'Biscan' was a transfer target when the laddie's name was (to the best of my knowledge) NOT linked to our beloved club in the media.

:grrr:

SKATE
18-05-2005, 11:18 AM
We can worry, speculate, rumour monger and read between the lines till the cows come home. At the end of the day nothing we do or say will make any difference - if he leaves, he leaves and good luck to him :love:

PalaceFan in Alabama
18-05-2005, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by SKATE
We can worry, speculate, rumour monger and read between the lines till the cows come home. At the end of the day nothing we do or say will make any difference - if he leaves, he leaves and good luck to him

Have to agree with you Skate.

Some people have nothing better to do with their spare time than start threads like this.

Chickereagle
18-05-2005, 11:28 AM
SSN have just reported AJ as saying he's not a big time Charlie, is dedicated to Palace and wants to be the man to get them promoted again.

SJ will have trouble spinning any sale that might take place after that.

Mr Clean
18-05-2005, 11:32 AM
With a World Cup Finals at the end of the year, would you want to be playing in the Championship?

Chickereagle
18-05-2005, 11:35 AM
That depends on whether or not you believe you have a real chance of making the squad.

wedgetail
18-05-2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Chickereagle
SSN have just reported AJ as saying he's not a big time Charlie, is dedicated to Palace and wants to be the man to get them promoted again.

SJ will have trouble spinning any sale that might take place after that.

AJ will go if Sven makes premiership football a requirement for being in the England squad. Jordon will then find AJ a move and no spin will be required.

Chickereagle
18-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Don't you think AJ knew what Sven's views were likely to be before he said what SSN attribute to him?

Mr Clean
18-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Chickereagle
That depends on whether or not you believe you have a real chance of making the squad.

Surely AJ must think he has a chance.

Maz
18-05-2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by PalaceFan in Alabama

Some people have nothing better to do with their spare time than start threads like this.

It's merely post-relegation panic.

(Or at least I hope so - the thought of another 12 months of BBS speculation on this single issue is stomach-churning).

Jack Regan
18-05-2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by PalaceFan in Alabama

What's wrong with starting a thread like this. It's not as if I'm overloading the BBS server with rubbish at the expense of any real 'news' is it?

The next batch of 'news/gossip' we're going to get is after the Player of the Year function at the weekend.

Other than that, this is the close season, and threads like mine are going to be the staple diet I'm afraid.

If you don't like it, I suggest you turn your PC off for the next 3 months.

albaeagle
18-05-2005, 11:41 AM
I can not see Johnson going anywhere this season. At best he is an outside bet in Sven's mind for the World Cup Squad. I know we would all have him playing for England, but Owen and Shrek will start with Defoe on the bench with one other. Could be Johnson / Crouch / Heskey / Vassell. If Sven really was serious about including him, he would not have played him on the wing. I think he will get a cursory chance in the next few England games at best, just like Beattie did when he was scoring truckloads. Erikson is famously rigid in his thinking and he has a fair idea who he wants to play for England. Johnson has just made himself impossible to exclude.

I see the situation as this. Jordan says to Johnson, stay and get us promoted, if we do not, we will sell you to a prem club. Johnson genuinely loves Palace and he will be the same as Nigel Martyn was, stay to get us up again, if and when we get relegated or don't do it, move on for international ambitions.

Men At Work
18-05-2005, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by all 5 of us
As for the phrase "unless someone tells me otherwise", Dowie says it too, as do many other footballing folk

I remember it being used by Steve Bruce when he was here.

You can either read it as a potential get-out clause or as a means of deflecting an issue onto someone else.

Mr Clean
Hear what you're saying albaeagle but surely the top scoring (and I believe the most competitive) english centre forward has to believe that he can get in the England Squad. Thats what makes him the player he is (in my humble pie).

Stubby
Originally posted by sydnsteve
I think it was Dowie that said 'until someone tells me otherwise', not SJ. In fact I'm sure of it. And it worried me, as I've put on another thread. I just can't see him staying in the championship I'm afraid. He isn't young, and is in the England squad. He'll want prem footie and I can't blame him

I recall though last time Boro were relegated (co-incided with Palace winning play offs), Bryan Robson pulled of his best signing in Paul Merson. Paul dropped a division by leaving the Arse and had such a fantastic season that he ended up baack in the England squad and Boro were automatically promoted. He was fantastic - untill he left ( and we were never exactly what went on there)

Stubby
18-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by wedgetail
AJ will go if Sven makes premiership football a requirement for being in the England squad. Jordon will then find AJ a move and no spin will be required.

And how long is Sven gonna be England boss ????

Mr Clean
18-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Until after the World Cup?

Celestial Empire
18-05-2005, 11:54 AM
On the other hand, a steady season in the Champs, (hopefully ;) with promo achieved early), might be much better preparation for the World Cup than (say) 50 tough Prem/Euro Cup/Domestic Cup games, and probably some injuries.
Surely Sven would pick AJ over Vassell and Heskey (both fading, and very poor seasons).