PDA

View Full Version : Palace youngster Victor Moses in Guardian story

Ruskin Old Boy
20-05-2005, 07:49 AM
Good news about one of Palace's Academy players - in the Guardian of all places. It starts:

"If for any schoolboy there is no greater fame than becoming a legend in your own playground, then Victor Moses is already a star.
Among the boys kicking footballs round the the well-heeled yard of the Whitgift school, Croydon, the 14-year-old has usurped Thierry Henry, Wayne Rooney and co as the player they want to emulate.

Moses's popularity among his peers comes thanks to his extraordinary goalscoring exploits for the school's under-14 team ... He is enrolled in Crystal Palace's youth academy, and so prolific is his record - he has scored more than 50 goals this season, including 10 on debut - that seasoned observers are predicting he will attract many more headlines in a professional career.

Full story here: http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1488161,00.html

Gooders
20-05-2005, 07:51 AM
Bet we lose him before he plays a game for us.

st albans
20-05-2005, 07:52 AM
good news, although comparisons have already been made with Rooney and Henry, which isn't good for him at that age

bobhughs
20-05-2005, 07:53 AM
Good article. Wonder how long it will be before he is poached?

JohnA
20-05-2005, 08:04 AM
Let's hope never.

davematt
20-05-2005, 08:09 AM
This COULD be our version of Wayne Rooney. I could easily see him making the bench this season. Its quite exciting to have a youngster who is being talked about in such high regard.

heinz 57
20-05-2005, 08:10 AM
I love that headline from the local grimsby rag "Holy Moses - wonder player parts the red sea!"

:)

Granada allover
20-05-2005, 08:13 AM
Let my people whhhoooooaaahhhh!

Boyandy
20-05-2005, 08:19 AM
Hopefully SJ will have noticed the attention that he's been receiving and taken measures to stop him being poached.

And I'm the tooth fairy :D

Santos-er
20-05-2005, 08:20 AM
I don't like the boy getting such headlines at 14. Watch the vultures start to circle. If he's that good, what's the betting Chelski or the Mancs start sniffing around?

Popester
20-05-2005, 08:26 AM
SJ's investment in the academy seems to be really paying off. Nice to see that we are really looking after our youngsters. It makes me proud to be a Palace fan to read articles like that.

kestoneagle
20-05-2005, 08:31 AM
Is there a minimum age for appearing in the fizzy pop league?

Whitney
20-05-2005, 08:39 AM
If he's that good he'll soon be at Arsenal or Chelsea

GreatGonzo
20-05-2005, 08:50 AM
I guess the lads morals and attitude will be tested over the next few years.

Take the money and wait a few years at a top club. Or repay the club who took an asylum seeker off a park, gave him and education and a start in life - the most critical point in all this will be - THE AGENT!

Clapham Grand
20-05-2005, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Popester
SJ's investment in the academy seems to be really paying off. Nice to see that we are really looking after our youngsters. It makes me proud to be a Palace fan to read articles like that.
Totally agree. SJ does not get the credit he deserves for this

Clapham Grand
20-05-2005, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Whitney
If he's that good he'll soon be at Arsenal or Chelsea

they'll probably "kidnap" him!

maestro
20-05-2005, 09:09 AM
Its hard to tell at that age, sometimes you just get a lad who's twice as big as everyone else and no-one can stop him, however when they catch up and are the same size he turns out to be nothing

MATTY THE EAGLE
20-05-2005, 09:10 AM
Best of all. he's got an Afro! :afro:

Jasper
20-05-2005, 09:13 AM
Fingers crossed he plays for us and doesnt get nabbed by one of the bigger clubs. Cherno Samba got alot of media attention when he was at Millwall, perhaps the pressure was too much for him.

Skid Row
20-05-2005, 09:16 AM
He's Nigerian? That would explain his prodigious talent then.

He just might be Englands version of that Adu character.

c_block_lad
20-05-2005, 09:17 AM
There is a article in the Adder today about the young lad.

eagles #1
20-05-2005, 09:22 AM
He'll be nicked if he's that good. Theres nothing you can do with players at that age is there? 'Cos you cant give them a professional contract until they're 16/17?

GreatGonzo
20-05-2005, 09:24 AM
I thought we can hold his registration, but that is probably wrong - i thought the FA had brought in measures to compenstae clubs who help develop young players, even this young.

c_block_lad
20-05-2005, 09:25 AM
IF he goes when he is 16/17 Palace still get a fee for him, because we helped him in his devlopment.

smileysmith
20-05-2005, 09:26 AM
Good stuff. Am really excited by the news coming out of our academy ... :)

Richard
20-05-2005, 09:40 AM

Agree in general, but the term "investment" is a loose one. My understanding is that the Academy is threatened because it doesn't possess an indoor training facility (honestly, youngsters today !!), which is now an FA requirement, and the investment to provide one isn't there. I heard this a while ago, so not sure whether a solution has now been found.

AndyStreet
20-05-2005, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by davematt
This COULD be our version of Wayne Rooney. I could easily see him making the bench this season. Its quite exciting to have a youngster who is being talked about in such high regard.

David don't be so f*cking ridiculous. There is no way in a million years a 14 year old will make the bench for the first team (which is what I presume you're implying).

As for everybody else, you're all being somewhat premature. He may go on to be excellent, but I'm not gonna get too excited just yet - I remember when Gareth Graham was being hyped up to be the solution to all our midfield problems and that didn't exactly work out.

David of Kent
There was another thread on this guy where doubts were being cast about this young mans "real" age by other BBS users. Apparently he is huge!!

Of course, if he is 14 and that big it could be that he is so much better than his peers due to current size differences that, once levelled out, may go against him.

MATTY THE EAGLE
I believe we have a Blow Up tent thing we use.

AndyStreet
20-05-2005, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by MATTY THE EAGLE
I believe we have a Blow Up tent thing we use.

No doubt it's a bloody Big Top condsidering how this club is run.

GreatGonzo
20-05-2005, 09:47 AM
Close - i believe they call it the dome! :D

AndyStreet
20-05-2005, 09:50 AM
Roll up, roll up - introducing your ring master Jordo the clown!!! :clown:

CHE
20-05-2005, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by davematt

Yes let's pile the pressure on from Day 1. He's 14 ffs!

fasteddie
20-05-2005, 10:53 AM
14-year-old asylum seeker becomes school's football hero

Paul Kelso
Friday May 20, 2005
The Guardian

If for any schoolboy there is no greater fame than becoming a legend in your own playground, then Victor Moses is already a star.
Among the boys kicking footballs round the the well-heeled yard of the Whitgift school, Croydon, the 14-year-old has usurped Thierry Henry, Wayne Rooney and co as the player they want to emulate.

Moses's popularity among his peers comes thanks to his extraordinary goalscoring exploits for the school's under-14 team, which this month won the FA Youth Cup thanks to a 5-0 defeat of red-shirted Grimsby school in which Moses scored all five.

The Grimsby Evening Telegraph recorded the defeat with the headline: "Holy Moses - Wonder Player Parts Red Sea".
He is enrolled in Crystal Palace's youth academy, and so prolific is his record - he has scored more than 50 goals this season, including 10 on debut - that seasoned observers are predicting he will attract many more headlines in a professional career.

Moses plainly possesses prodigious talent, but his rise is all the more remarkable given his troubled background.

He was born in Nigeria, but lost both parents in circumstances that are unclear. Since arriving in Britain he has settled down with foster parents, but officially he is an asylum seeker, a legal status that the school will test when it undertakes a football tour of Japan in October.

Moses originally went to a state school, Stanley technical high school.

His football skills were first spotted at a local park by scouts from Palace, who took him on to their books.

The club then recommended him to Whitgift, a fee-paying school run by the second-richest educational trust in the country. The trust assists in paying the fees of 45% of its 1,200 boys.

The move to Whitgift has given Moses access to superb facilities, expert tuition, and an environment in which he has been able to move on from his past at his own pace.

Under the guiding hand of the former Arsenal and Chelsea star Colin Pates, who is the games master, he has developed a level-headed approach to his recent notoriety that bodes well for the future.

Self-effacing and soft-spoken, his demeanour belies his flamboyance on the pitch. Plainly a hugely gifted natural athlete, he has scored from the halfway line this season and celebrates goals with leaping somersaults.

In every other regard, however, he seems to have his feet on the ground.

"I have got to work hard if I am going to be a professional, but at the moment I just want to keep scoring goals and winning games for the team," he said.

"I really admire Zinedine Zidane and Frank Lampard, they are really skilful and I like the way they shoot from distance.

"It's good to score goals but my teammates are fantastic, they really support me, but the opponents just want to tackle me hard!"

Pates believes that Moses has the attributes to become a successful professional: "He is far from being the finished article, but there is no question he is the most talented striker of his age that I have seen," he said.

"He is strong, quick and he scores goals for fun, and he just looks fantastic as a player.

"What is encouraging is that he has a great attitude. He has his feet firmly on the ground and he is modest and level-headed.

"He almost has the attitude of a professional; if he scores four but misses one it is the miss that keeps him awake. He is going to have to work particularly hard if he is going to make it, but with his talent it is up to him."

Pates's view is shared by Lawrie McMenemy, the former Southampton manager, who presented the trophy to Whitgift.

"He told me that I had the talent to be a footballer but I had to really concentrate on my education and work hard to do it."

Maximus
20-05-2005, 10:56 AM
If he's so good why is playing for the U-14 team? You typically find players who go on to be professionals are playing two-three year groups above their age.

sydnsteve
20-05-2005, 11:05 AM
why in the transfer forum? Or are we just trying to advertise him?

fasteddie
20-05-2005, 11:06 AM
Sorry bit busy at work so just plonked it in.

Jasper
20-05-2005, 11:06 AM
He plays in the Palace Under 18's.

Oisin
20-05-2005, 11:07 AM
He plays in an older age group for Palace I believe. But in the cup youíll play any player who qualifies wonít you?

Maximus
20-05-2005, 11:07 AM
That's better :)

ZOHAR
20-05-2005, 11:10 AM
What's the betting Man U gazzump him? :sob:

Cleon
20-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by fasteddie
14-year-old asylum seeker

Given that 25% of CPFC BBS readers would consider voting for the BNP
(http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104257&highlight=british+national+party) then perhaps he should consider plying hid trade back home in Nigeria?

CPFC_R_GREAT
20-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Sounds good, he can be part of the 5 year plan for Europe :)

Sir.S.C Remembered
20-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Wow sounds very good! Lets hope we can get in the Premiership so we can keep him and that he develops as hoped.

Clapham Grand
20-05-2005, 11:43 AM
already thread on this!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trist
20-05-2005, 12:10 PM
This kids only 14 so we shouldn't really get too excited, its still probably too early to say how far he can go in the professional game... however it is promising that the academy is producing some good talent. As much as we criticise the club and the way that some parts are run (quite rightfully in most instances), itís the football team that we support. If we can get a 1st team squad with more and more players that we've developed at academy level, the club is doing something right.

oneova
22-05-2005, 12:52 PM
Moses is deeeeeeeeep trus bt he aint 14 i played against him his @ least 19 his got a gotee, his hench n evrything

Absolution
22-05-2005, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
If he's so good why is playing for the U-14 team? You typically find players who go on to be professionals are playing two-three year groups above their age.

Only been about this season though he might be U16 next year and appear for U18's you never know no point rushing his development...

davematt
22-05-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by oneova
Moses is deeeeeeeeep trus bt he aint 14 i played against him his @ least 19 his got a gotee, his hench n evrything

Can you say that in English?

oneova
22-05-2005, 01:41 PM
MOSES IS A VERY GOOD PLAYER BUT I DOUBT HE IS 14 I AM 14 AND HAVE PLAYED AGAINST HIM AND I CAN TELL YOU NOW HE HAS A GOATEE, IS QUITE MUSCULINE AT LEAST 19.

EdMan
22-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by oneova
MOSES IS A VERY GOOD PLAYER BUT I DOUBT HE IS 14 I AM 14 AND HAVE PLAYED AGAINST HIM AND I CAN TELL YOU NOW HE HAS A GOATEE, IS QUITE MUSCULINE AT LEAST 19.

"his hench n evrything" = is quite masculine ??

i'm not taking the piss, but how does that work exactly ?

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
22-05-2005, 02:21 PM
Cool name :p

lyrical_g
22-05-2005, 02:29 PM
i go 2 the same school.he is amazing from what i have seen.same sort of player as yakubu.unfortunately is not too keen on sticking around at palace

KevTheOptimist
22-05-2005, 10:23 PM
My mates old man runs a team in Norbury who this guy started playing for and my mate bangs on about him all the time. Says he's like a mini Ockocha.

When he started playing and was being scouted they had offers from Man U, Arse and Chelscum but because of his background(family killed in Nigeria) his adopted parents didn't want him moved around so they accepted Palaces offer so he could stay local.

If he is really that good I can't really see him staying around

Dowiewonderland
25-05-2005, 07:29 AM
Palace have a 14 year old wonder kid called Victor Moses. There is a report about him on the Crstal Palace official site. His school won the Fa youth cup 5-0 with Victor scoring all Five. The futures bright. I can't wait for him to part some defences in the Palace shirt. Are academy is bringing on some kids with a lot of talent.

gcwhite
25-05-2005, 07:41 AM
There is some discussion about him here. (http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108099&highlight=moses)

Steve C
25-05-2005, 07:41 AM
If he is not poached by a Bigger Team.:bash:

Phil McGlass
22-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by AndyStreet
David don't be so f*cking ridiculous. There is no way in a million years a 14 year old will make the bench for the first team (which is what I presume you're implying).

As for everybody else, you're all being somewhat premature. He may go on to be excellent, but I'm not gonna get too excited just yet - I remember when Gareth Graham was being hyped up to be the solution to all our midfield problems and that didn't exactly work out.

Agree, a 14 yr old would just get crocked in the fizzy pop league.

Phil McGlass
22-06-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by lyrical_g
i go 2 the same school.he is amazing from what i have seen.same sort of player as yakubu.unfortunately is not too keen on sticking around at palace

Really?has he said that?

foxy
22-06-2005, 12:07 PM
hes a good player and i can assure he is massive he went to stanley i was in the year above him and he was just massive

Dobbo
22-06-2005, 12:09 PM
Perhaps you should write to Tottenham and tell them :veryangry

eagles #1
22-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Dobbo
Perhaps you should write to Tottenham and tell them :veryangry No need, Chelsea are after him...

KennyB
22-06-2005, 12:23 PM
There was a local lad near where I live, lots of talent, aged 14.

Did he sign for someone local, so that he could still make realistic progress ? Someone like Aldershot, Farnborough, Reading, even Woking ?

No.

Arsenal signed him.

And that's the last we heard of him. He's probably cleaning boots now, with absolutely NO chance of regular first team football (he'd be about 17 now).

Let's see if we can stop that happening to this one.

Shipp Ahoy!
22-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Thats the problem with kids they can't see the bigger picture.

Beanie
22-06-2005, 12:53 PM
Can't blame the kids - at that age they all think can do anything and they'll make it at any club. Real problem is often (not always) the parents/guardians - can't see the big picture either, just the big numbers in the contract somewhere on the horizon.

Popester
22-06-2005, 12:58 PM

You go to Whitgift and write like that! Your parents must feel like their money is well spent!!

Duffle Coat
22-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Moses, young man, I command you to stay with the red n'blue. Thou shalt not be tempted by those Gooners nor those Chelskis. Hold true to the team that will give you a game and a feeling of security. Indeed such security that yey, I say unto you not even 20million will extract you. Smite ne'r those Spuds and those other beguilers and big time charlies for thine is a kingdom called Selhurst. Yey Moses this I say unto you.

cpfcinprem
22-06-2005, 10:01 PM
You go to Whitgift and write like that! Your parents must feel like their money is well spent!!

:lux: :D :p

Palaceboy222
23-10-2005, 09:14 PM
i put it on another thread but its more appropriate here,

i saw in the program yesterday that victor moses scored for the u18s, not bad for a 14 year old