PDA

View Full Version : Turn the clock back.....

Tripod 10
30-05-2005, 07:35 PM
One year ago this weekend the Palace won promotion to the Premiership.Thought it might be interesting to find out your thoughts on what YOU would have done if we could have that chance again.
I would have paid Cahill's agent,given Ivan Kaviedes more game time and spent some money in the transfer window on a half decent forward who could bag 7 or 8 goals in the last half season.

Any thoughts?

davematt
30-05-2005, 07:37 PM
One thing....Concentrated in the 93rd minute against Southampton.

Shipp Ahoy!
30-05-2005, 07:40 PM
Sold the house and paid Cahill's agent behind Jordan's back.

max power
30-05-2005, 07:42 PM
I would have bought more copies of the Chelsea programme

Mad Max
30-05-2005, 07:45 PM
Felt so down watching those b****rd hammers celebrating and was left with the thought"why do the same big clubs allways end up in the top division after a mini blip like relegation"Oh for getting there and just for once finishing mid table year after year like those b****rd clowns.

max power
30-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Mad Max
Felt so down watching those b****rd hammers celebrating and was left with the thought"why do the same big clubs allways end up in the top division after a mini blip like relegation"Oh for getting there and just for once finishing mid table year after year like those b****rd clowns.

Max here bloody here i am with you old son
:sob: :( :bash: :sob:

Fatboynotsoslim
30-05-2005, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by davematt

Totally agree, theres been a load of pap put on these boards about were we good enough etc - no ifs and buts, just a simple 30 secs further concetration versus Soton and we would have been safe. As I said to the pissed up Soton fan in response to his laughing and celebrations as we walked out of Selhurst that day "Well done mate, you've taken us down with you" and that was the moment we went down! We will bounce back immediately this time, keep the faith and we'll be Championees by Easter

For those who don't believe remember the following

We have Dowie
We will still have AJ
We are actually on the brink of strengthening the squad already
We have games versus Millwall and Brighton (So theres twelve points)
We are CPFC and there is never a dull moment
The Premiership will miss us more than we'll miss them

EEEEEAAAAGGGGLLLLLLLLEEEEEEESSSSSSSS

cpfc4ever
30-05-2005, 07:48 PM
:sob: :sob: :sob:

Fatboynotsoslim
30-05-2005, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by davematt

Totally agree, theres been a load of pap put on these boards about were we good enough etc - no ifs and buts, just a simple 30 secs further concentration versus Soton and we would have been safe. As I said to the pissed up Soton fan in response to his laughing and celebrations as we walked out of Selhurst that day "Well done mate, you've taken us down with you" and that was the moment we went down! We will bounce back immediately this time, keep the faith and we'll be Championees by Easter

We have Dowie
We will still have AJ

max power
30-05-2005, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Fatboynotsoslim
Totally agree, theres been a load of pap put on these boards about were we good enough etc - no ifs and buts, just a simple 30 secs further concentration versus Soton and we would have been safe. As I said to the pissed up Soton fan in response to his laughing and celebrations as we walked out of Selhurst that day "Well done mate, you've taken us down with you" and that was the moment we went down! We will bounce back immediately this time, keep the faith and we'll be Championees by Easter

We have Dowie
We will still have AJ

It makes more sense to say
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAGLES:p

KungFuCharlie
30-05-2005, 08:03 PM
A year ago:

We steal Wigan's play-off spot
We steal Sunderland's final spot
We edge past West Ham in the final.

Its karma baby.

jone-zee
30-05-2005, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Shipp Ahoy!
Sold the house and paid Cahill's agent behind Jordan's back.

Cahill was NEVER coming to Palace. End Of

Shipp Ahoy!
30-05-2005, 08:41 PM
If you like.

boxing francis
30-05-2005, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by KungFuCharlie
A year ago:

We steal Wigan's play-off spot
We steal Sunderland's final spot
We edge past West Ham in the final.

Its karma baby.

I was thinking exactly that today

Neil 154
30-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Since when has being lucky been theft? There was an element of luck, but not stealing.

Mind you-
Palace - Leicester / Palace - Sheff Utd
West Ham - Palace / West Ham - Preston

West Ham must feel like it's karma now.

follow cpfc
30-05-2005, 09:05 PM
we will be back up there soon. But i must admit that is was ahrd to whatch the hammers celebrating. I would of payed chahills fee thats it why the dident we jsut pay?????

glaziers fan
30-05-2005, 09:11 PM
Stop thinking backwards and start thinking to the future.

KungFuCharlie
30-05-2005, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by jone-zee
Cahill was NEVER coming to Palace. End Of

Finally, some sanity.

EMLEY EAGLE
30-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Played Gabor from the start, played 4-4-2 at home to the mid table teams and used Sandor more.

steve hail
31-05-2005, 10:32 AM
All this is futile now....There are about a hundred things which could have been done differently. However, at our very best and on our day, when playing to the maximum of our ability, we could just about hack it as a lower mid table team. Overall, we weren't nearly good enough. Neither were Norwich, Southampton and WBA. West Brom just got lucky. Portsmouth, Blackburn and Fulham weren't much better. But they just had a little more class.

But we are much better than most of the dross in the Championship.

joe walker
31-05-2005, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by steve hail
All this is futile now....There are about a hundred things which could have been done differently. However, at our very best and on our day, when playing to the maximum of our ability, we could just about hack it as a lower mid table team. Overall, we weren't nearly good enough.

so we drew with arsenal, man united, scored at stamford bridge, beat liverpool, got 4 points off spurs AND villa, and doubled the birmingham scum.

lower midtable standard, eh?

i must say, that league is over-rated. had we had a consistently fit/not suspended squad we could have beat the likes of charlton, pompey,etc

we got 4 points off spurs and villa, who finished top 10
says it all really

KennyB
31-05-2005, 12:21 PM
I would have stuck with virtually the same team that got us up, and only bought who was needed when the jan window came round.

We, of course, did the opposite.

Bought some uncertain imports (some good, some bad,) in the summer, and, in jan (when we knew what was needed) we bought ................... nobody.

We had a winning team (admittedly at a lower level, but we could still play decent foorball).

That all went out the window the second that spilloni tried to dribble round that Everton forward.

trub3101
31-05-2005, 03:23 PM
Made sure that Boycie did not go in for that tackle that broke his foot in training!:sob: Two of the goals against that defined our season (the dying seconds at home to Saints and of course Charlton's equaliser at there place) came from lapses of concentration on the right hand side which had been superbly marshalled by Boycie up until his injury.

Oh yeah, I would have had Powelly defending that free kick at Clownton instead of Poppa!

limited_edition
31-05-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by trub3101
Oh yeah, I would have had Powelly defending that free kick at Clownton instead of Poppa! Rather than upfront instead of Ventola you mean ?

LP
31-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
Stop thinking backwards and start thinking to the future.

I accept that philosophy to an extent, there is no point beating ourselves up about the past, in fact doing that could be counter productive. However, at the same time I hope we can learn from past mistakes in future and launching an moral crusade against agents a matter of months before kicking off a Premiership season was certainly a big error.

One thing I would like to be able to go back and do is prevent Boyce getting injured in training, we really missed him.

LP
31-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by trub3101
Made sure that Boycie did not go in for that tackle that broke his foot in training!:sob: Two of the goals against that defined our season (the dying seconds at home to Saints and of course Charlton's equaliser at there place) came from lapses of concentration on the right hand side which had been superbly marshalled by Boycie up until his injury.

Oh yeah, I would have had Powelly defending that free kick at Clownton instead of Poppa!

Sorry hadn't read this,

PeterH
31-05-2005, 08:14 PM
Not try to defend for the last 30 minutes against Southampton, but go and increase the lead. What I am saying is our best defender Sorondo was sent off with their biggest attacking threat. So what did we do, tried to close up and invite them to come at us. Whether it was a bunch of naive players running around like headless chickens or Dowie (Mr Adventurous in the promotion season) losing his bottle I don't know. It was fecking pathetic.

Some BBSers can talk sh1te about how proud they are of Palace, out of their @rse all day long. They upshot of it is that this is the most unnecessary of relegations and at the death Dowie and the players let us down badly, and they have a lot to do next season to compensate. Southampton Home, Charlton (worse team in the Premier) Away, 1 win needed and we get two draws and we were leading until the final minutes in both. Add a pathetic Man Utd scoring only 1 of 26 or so chances against WBA and remarkably we may have got away with only 2 draws.

So it is not some point during the season, the t wats we are supposed to look up to as fans let themselves down after so much work and tets us down badly. You as fans remember the catcalls of the Charlton w@nkers. I am not sure I can forgive Palace as easily as some of you for this typical feck up. I actually didn't care too much when it first happened, but as the weeks after relegation add up it is really beginning to grate how truly tragic Palace were in those last two games. I am sure some of you are thinking the same.

DeadPanX
31-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Hey PeterH, firstly I want to say that i admired your posts alot and hold them with high regard. But over the past few weeks I have noticed that you have come increasingly annoyed about our relegation.

Let's say West Brom are jammy ba5tards. If you going to look at any match look at Man City vs West Brom where it ended up as 1-1 and West Brom had 0 shots on target (it was an o.g. they equlised through). They had the rub of the green we didn't.

To me relelgation will be better for us, it'll help us re-group, get players in which fit into the team, struggle alot less and give our youth a chance to flourish. And come up alot stronger. Remember none of our management or players had Premiership experience, we clearly punched above our weight last season. I agree it's disappointing. But I hope Dowie and the team remember 1 thing next season, and that is I hope we continue playing like a Premiership side in the Championship.

PeterH
01-06-2005, 03:25 AM
Good points. But I still say that going into the last two games we had just about done what was required. If at the start of the season people had offered a win in one of the last two games, we, the players, the manager and all at CPFC would have taken it.

I am proud of the players putting us in that position, but to be honest if they are going to royally screw it up in the dying minutes I would rather we had been relegated at Xmas.

DeadPanX
03-06-2005, 01:27 AM
At the end of the day PeterH, you could say the same thing about all the teams in the bottom 4. It's just West Brom screwed up the least compared to to the rest (just). I mean can you imagine if we were Norwich 1point clear of relegation going into the last game then humilated 6-0!!! That would be far worse....PeterH chill man, everything will be alright for once we are going forward, when was the last time that happened? Hey, I bought my first season ticket at Christmas because the first time ever I believe in the management/players/staff at Crystal Palace. For once we are ALL pulling in the same direction.

PeterH
03-06-2005, 03:33 AM
I am not worried about it. I will let the players who screwed it up feel sorry for themselves. I see your point about Norwich fans being gutted, but they wer hammered by 6 to prove they weren't good enough. We commited suicide, twice???? I am sure you will agree that should not be possible.

DeadPanX
04-06-2005, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by PeterH
I am not worried about it. I will let the players who screwed it up feel sorry for themselves. I see your point about Norwich fans being gutted, but they wer hammered by 6 to prove they weren't good enough. We commited suicide, twice???? I am sure you will agree that should not be possible.

I agree but do you agree when we were promoted we were saved, twice: Powell goal and Deane goal in the dying moments as well. (Or Johnson's goal even). These things even themselves out as so it proved. And Palace are unlike any other team, you don't get half-measures, it's either ecstatic jubilation or heartbreaking depression...

rambo
04-06-2005, 01:22 PM
It is far worse emotionally getting relegated in the way we did, because of all the `what if's.

The best way to cheer up is to ask the question `if you could have the last 17 months again what would you do differently?' The answer I would have thought it very little. We are an immeasurably stronger side than we were then. We have acquitted ourselves in the Prem well and have earned a fair bit of respect for our Club for the first time in a decade. Even if the worst were now to happen re AJ, we would get plenty of dosh in return.

The qustion is what happens now. It is normally at this stage - Palace on the verge of better things - that things start going pear shaped. This time there is no reason for anything other than confidence. With Dowie in charge we look like we're continuing to go places. Take the last 17 months in the round, not just the last 12, and look at the progress we have made and are continuing to make.

palace04
04-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Just thought about it, and I cant wait until the Brighton come and visit us at Selhurst. I think that when that day come's palace fans will really raise the roof