PDA

View Full Version : Women's Football

dougierules
09-06-2005, 12:43 PM
I just wanted to know of peoples oppinion about womens football. I really enjoyed watching the national side last night against Denmark. Shame about the result, but theres still an outside chance we might get to the semi finals though!

davematt
09-06-2005, 12:49 PM
Quality is very poor, but that is due to the fact that I have watched mens football for 11 years. I can definetly see an improvement in the Womens game, and hopefully in 10-20 years time we will have a proffesional womens league.

GreatGonzo
09-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Its like park football! ;)

davematt
09-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
Its like park football! ;)

Harsh, but true.

dopgsmm
09-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Midget Football

RUSSELL
09-06-2005, 12:59 PM
What do they shout when they knock the ball through an oponents legs? Clit? :D

gjtango
09-06-2005, 12:59 PM
Monkey Tennis.

GreatGonzo
09-06-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by RUSSELL
What do they shout when they knock the ball through an oponents legs? Clit? :D

PMSL

:lux: :lux: :lux: :lux: :lux:

LP
09-06-2005, 01:05 PM
It's like schools football where the pitch and goals are too big for the players. Players can punt hopeful shoots at the goal and the keepers just don't have size to cover the goal properly and save them. The one team i've seen who impressed me were the French who actually seemed to play at a good tempo, somenthing that always seems to be lacking normally.

joe walker
09-06-2005, 05:08 PM
there are some individuals who are head and shoulders above the rest

take Kelly Smith, for example, she could easily play at league 1 football wise, although theres always gonna be a dispute of inferior strength and aggression

i seem to remember perugia buying one of ronaldo's ex-girlfriends, and planned to play her in the mens team, but they decided not to in the end.

by the way, how about some of those dane "women", eh? scary....

daz_eagle
09-06-2005, 05:11 PM
the italian keeper is so short, there's no way she could reach the crossbar. anything high and on target = goal.

daz_eagle
09-06-2005, 05:12 PM
prinz scored a good goal v italy earlier.

MAB
09-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Has got better, two things though no diving around and no moaning at the ref all the time. The men could learn a thing or 2.

Also, do you only watch women's football to look at their legs?

alaneagle
09-06-2005, 05:15 PM
the golakeepers r just awful, the one gd english player is smith

Webb
09-06-2005, 05:22 PM
You have to hand it to the FA for promoting the women's game. There has and is a massive interest in the Championships, which can only be good for the game.

Personally, I am shocked by some of the lack of quality of some of the players - some couldn't trap a bag of cement (Copyright S.Kember), but there have been some decent goals. And Rachel Unitt.

First safety
09-06-2005, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Webbplebb
"some couldn't trap a bag of cement"
---------------------------------

The remark that you credit to Steve Kember has been in circulation for years and was made by Tommy Docherty many years before SK.

hernehilleagle
09-06-2005, 06:01 PM
The quality is no where near the standard of the men's game. That is its fundamental fault - good to see them giving it a good go however. That Kelly Smith is the standout player for England (she looked in a whole different class to all of the other players on the pitch yesterday). Would possibly be a bit more interesting if half of the women did not look like men!

Webb
09-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by First safety
Originally posted by Webbplebb
"some couldn't trap a bag of cement"
---------------------------------

The remark that you credit to Steve Kember has been in circulation for years and was made by Tommy Docherty many years before SK.

A bit before my time that.:D ;)

WorthingEagle
09-06-2005, 06:07 PM
technically most of England's players are better than your average Div 3 player....you can't compare them to the top male players obviously but I've seen much worse in the lower leagues.

SilkkWilliems
12-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Have any of u actually watched womens football before? Katie Chapman would easily fit into fizzy pop league. She is tecnically better than most league 2 players and prob most league 1. Mens and womens football can not be judged together totally because of the time the mens game has had to progress compared to the womens game

Williems Out!!

Steve in Phoenix
12-06-2005, 07:23 PM
I've not watched it before but I'll watch England again in a tourney or qualifiers. Carney, Aluko, Williams looked like they'll only get better and Kelly Smith, Rachel Yankey are only 25 I think.

akinbiyifan
12-06-2005, 07:49 PM
Yankey is class shes the womens wayne routledge but actually has a better final ball lol

spunky
12-06-2005, 10:50 PM
who was englands number 9? looked like wayne rooney in a wig to me!!!

redhilleagle
17-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by spunky
who was englands number 9? looked like wayne rooney in a wig to me!!!

Poor cow.

Al From Bromley
17-06-2005, 05:54 PM
I remember watching the women's FA Cup Final at Selhurst a few seasons back. It was enough to put me off bothering to watch any more.

m355y
17-06-2005, 06:32 PM
I watched some of it during the Olympics and was staggered at how poor the standard was. The goalkeepers never seemed to move! You had someone scoring a goal and celebrating like it was the greatest thing ever, and I'm sitting there thinking 'the goalkeeper just f*cking stood there! You might as well have been shooting into an open net!'

All the best to them in getting the sport greater recognition but I hope never to have to watch that again.

Barry
19-06-2005, 06:56 PM
Caught some of the womens final (Germany V Norway?) today on BBC2 and couldnt believe what a pile of cack it was.

The average SAL league team where I play on Saturdays would beat these bunch of no-hopers. Im all for womens football, but why the hell put this rubbish on TV?

Steve in Phoenix
19-06-2005, 07:01 PM
Obviously you paid close attention if you dont even know who was playing in the final!

SilkkWilliems
19-06-2005, 07:18 PM
Steve in Phoenix-What?

Williems Out!!

stevek
19-06-2005, 07:26 PM
personally I've been off women's football since the whole Croydon becoming Charlton debacle

Barry
20-06-2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Steve in Phoenix
Obviously you paid close attention if you dont even know who was playing in the final!

Originally posted by SilkkWilliems
Steve in Phoenix-What?

Williems Out!!

I think Steves response was to me? Although quite why he thinks the comment is relevant I dont know.

The point still remains - womens football is rubbish. My S.A.L team wouldn't have any problems against any international womens team.

Im not saying they shouldn't play it, just that it shouldn't be given all this media coverage and promotion. Women are good at a lot of things ;) , but football certainly isnt one of them.

Steve in Phoenix
20-06-2005, 09:02 PM
The point I was making was if you actually watched the match for more than a few seconds you wouldnt be confused about who was playing.

The problem is with your expectations, not the sport. When you watch Henin versus Sharapova, you arent expecting to see Ivanisevic vs Sampras are you?

And yes, despite your fantasies, teenagers like Carney and Aluko would humiliate you on the field. Aluko can probably lap you doing the 100m while Carney can keep up a table tennis ball.

And "all this media coverage". Do me a favor! It isnt a drop in the ocean that is the Premiership, let alone all of men's football.