PDA

View Full Version : Ricardo in the NOTW today (Ex Man Utd)

Latvian Eagle
12-06-2005, 10:27 PM
Did anyone else read the piece in the News of The World today about now ex Manchester United keeper Ricardo?! I have to say I can feel the guys pain. It starts out with him warning van der Sar about Ferguson, and then goes on to talk about his time at United. He said he couldn't understand why he never got a game. Carroll, and Howard were both making mistakes week in week out, and he didn't get a look in. He practically begged Ferguson, but for some reason he didn't have any faith in him. He joined United as a Spanish international, and after his year long loan at Racing Santander in 03/04 he was on the verge of another Spanish call up, and then he spent all last season on the bench or in the stands at United. Was quite shokcing reading. he said he put in extra effort and trained really hard, but nothing he did would turn Ferguson's head. he even called him a stubborn man. :D But the poor guy even admitted to going home and crying because he couldn't figure out what else he had to do to get a game. It was quite a good read, and is quite frank. I actually have to admit I feel sorry for the guy. he's probably right though, he should have been given a chance when the other two were out of form. He said Man United didn't win any trophy's because of the other two keepers. :D

Oh and he said he wants to stay in England just to prove a point to Ferguson, despite having several offers from Spain.

c_block_lad
12-06-2005, 10:55 PM
I read it indeed.

Classic sour grapes piece by a player who feels anger because he has just been released.

RDSdaEAGLE
13-06-2005, 12:01 AM
Perhaps Riccardo didn't realise that he just wasn't good enough. However, if you're an international player for a country like Spain, you should get a few chances to prove yourself.

The problem is that managers can only show a certain amount of faith in their goalkeepers. Its a confidence game for them, and if their lack of confidence transfers to the defence, it can all go very wrong very easily. Just ask Speroni about that. The other problem is that mistakes by keepers are easily highlighted, and get more coverage than errors by outfield players. Again, ask Speroni, his erros have caused three quaters of the Palace support to think he's a liability. He's a very capable keeper, one of the best shot stoppers I've seen anyway, but his confidence was shot after the Everton game and that was it.

The problem with Fergie is he kept switching between two keepers who's confidence seemed lacking, meaning neither could try and build a raport with their defence, and that cost United. Mistakes by defenders didn't get the same reaction either. So I can kind of see what Riccardo meant, if he didn't get the chance, he couldn't prove himself.

Latvian Eagle
13-06-2005, 06:53 AM
Did you read the piece?! Ricardo said that he has plenty of confidence in his own ability. He said he only ever got used when the club had nothing to play for, and the only meaningful game he played any part in was 45 mins vs Blackburn three seasons ago.

I have to admit he did seem a bit dodgy (always giving away penalties) in the few games he did play for United, but he did look a qulity keeper for Santander when on loan there, and he must have been doing something for United to sign him in the first place. I think he's made like 7 first team appearances for United in 3-4 seasons.

I don't think it is sour grapes C_Block. I think he just wanted a chance to prove himself, rather than be discarded for no real reason.

Benzhiyi
13-06-2005, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Latvian Eagle
Did you read the piece?! Ricardo said that he has plenty of confidence in his own ability.

I bet Wayne Andrews has confidence in his own ability. Are you suggesting we should therefore pick him over Andrew Johnson?

I'm with C_block. Nothing more than sour grapes (though I'm sure that a professional keeper earning thousands of pounds a week will be grateful that you "feel his pain", Jim). ;)

limited_edition
13-06-2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Benzhiyi
I bet Wayne Andrews has confidence in his own ability. Are you suggesting we should therefore pick him over Andrew Johnson?
I pray for a sour grapes piece by Andrews saying he never got a chance at Palace.