PDA

View Full Version : Biennial World Cup & Euros

daz_eagle
15-06-2005, 12:57 AM
In the 1930s, it was decided that the World Cup should be contested every 4 years - one of the chief reasons being that it was such a task getting all the teams together (some had to get there by boat). Later, the European Championships came along, also held every 4 years, in between World Cups.

Now, in the age of super-efficient transport (relative to the 1930s), meaningless International friendlies and summers without any real football to watch, I propose the following:

The World Cup and Europeans should be held every other year.

Which would mean:-

* Major International tournaments EVERY SUMMER, restoring some genuine meaning to International football. Plus it would mean not having to watch Mickey Mouse kickabouts like the Confederations Cup on TV.

* NO MORE FRIENDLIES!!! They are boring and largely useless! Instead, every game would either be a qualifier or a Major Tournament game. No more bullsh*t, waste of time, lets give Luke Young a cap for nothin' games against USA reserves. No more sitting there watching England, and not really giving a toss whether we score or not. Every International game would matter - as it should!!!

* A BETTER INDICATION of the best team in the World and Europe at any given time. Once every four years for a World Cup and the Euros is too much of a gap these days. I wanna know who are the best in 2006, 2008 and 2010 on the World stage. Players like Rooney are gonna see 3 World Cups if they're lucky, when he should be playing 6 or 7. WE DON'T NEED TO ROW A BOAT TO THE FINALS ANY MORE!!!

* More countries get the opportunity to HOST the events, which is a good thing, and more countries get the chance to play in the big tournaments. A nations greatest group of players might not coincide with a tournament which is held only once every 4 years, this way, they'd get the chance to shine, because it would be held a reasonable number of times within their careers.

Some might say it would devalue the competitions. NO! You can't devalue the Majors, and to hold them biennially is perfectly reasonable.

Some might say that there'd be 'too many games', but we wouldn't be playing any friendlies or non-competitive games. A little bit of twaeking in the domestic calendar (make league cup semi-finals one legged affiars!) would go a long way too.

What do y'all think about this? Isn't it time to tighten up the football calendar and make International football worth watching more than 2 months in 4 years?

jackslipper
15-06-2005, 01:55 AM
Hadn't really thought about it too much before, but yes why not. More and more countries have the stadia and efficiency to host these tournaments now.

Added to these facts, is the chance that I might actually see England win something (Euro or World Cup) in my lifetime!

Faithless
15-06-2005, 02:19 AM
Not a bad idea at all but unfortuantely alot of the time is spent qualifying for the damn tournaments. Each qualifying period takes about 12-16 games so it would be tricky to squeeze it all in, especially with the currently hectic club calender.

Good thought though - I'd support it if it's made possible!

chelmsfordeagle
15-06-2005, 02:20 AM
I think every four years is better, it makes winning it more special. I also think the confederations cup is a tournament that can suceed. In future if they have the 8 teams that are: the CC winners previously (who would then host), the two world cup finalists and the winners of the euro, south american, aisan and african championships as well as the winners of the last concaf WC qualifing group it will give fixed entry on qualifcation. Both the WC and EC took time to become respected and for all countries to take them seriously, the CC needs this time as well. I would also increase the WC to 40 teams with 8 groups of 5

To limit meaningless friendlies I'd do two things. one I'd increase the size of the qualifying groups to 8 or 9 teams. this would mean more matches between top teams and also give extra funding to the smaller countries. Two I'd create a one legged knockout tournament within europe (run on the same basis as the davis cup) with a top group of 16. this could be run with similar rules to friendles, ie 7 subs names, five used and if level at the end of normal time could go straight to pens. the eight losing teams in the 1st round would play off against the 8 teams that won through in group two

daz_eagle
16-06-2005, 07:00 PM
this is a f*cking great idea, you gotta have an opinion!

dave_who_ru
16-06-2005, 07:31 PM
No, keep it as it is. The top players will just burn out and overall the quality of football will decline. It will also totally mess up the season as there will be no Premiership football for several weekends to fit in all the qualifying games.

SilkkWilliems
18-06-2005, 11:48 PM
International football should stand on a rankings tip. Say you have 32 teams in world cup then the top 20 ranked nations shouldnt have to qualify and should automatically be entered into the tornament!!

Wiliems Out

gjtango
19-06-2005, 12:16 AM
Keep it as it is.