PDA

View Full Version : Figo to Newcastle.

cabbie
20-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Figo in talks with Newcastle on SSN.Could be a great signing if he shows the sort of form of a few years back.

boxing francis
20-06-2005, 02:57 PM
How old is he now?

saxo_demon22
20-06-2005, 03:01 PM
Too old. Past it

El Aguila
20-06-2005, 03:04 PM
Di Stefano would be a great signing for Newcastle, if he could reproduce his form of a few years back.

David of Kent
20-06-2005, 03:06 PM
Puskas is the guy. It'll remind them of the Mick Quinn in a Newcy jersey.

cabbie
20-06-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by boxing francis
How old is he now?

BLUE BOY
20-06-2005, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by cabbie
Figo in talks with Newcastle on SSN.Could be a great signing if he shows the sort of form of a few years back.

Past it now i think and very much in decline. Hes probably just on the look out for a last big payday.

Jay_Palace
20-06-2005, 03:14 PM
One of the great underachievers, joining the grestest underachievers.

A match made in heaven.

Kiraly05
20-06-2005, 03:17 PM
I think that will be a good signing. Even if its for just a season.

st albans
20-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace

A match made in heaven.

please ecplain to me how Figo is a great underachiever??

Barry
20-06-2005, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by saxo_demon22
Too old. Past it

Originally posted by cabbie

32 is not past it.

How old was Lombardo when he joined Palace? And more recently, wasn't Michael Hughes one of our top performers in the Premiership last year?

Figo is past his best - but no way can you say he is past it . 1 year of Figo at 60% of his best would be great for Newcastle.

Palaceboy222
20-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Another Klivert?

Mong!
20-06-2005, 05:06 PM
past it

Jay_Palace
20-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by st albans
please ecplain to me how Figo is a great underachiever??

Captain of an over-rated Portugal team, not spectacular when he was at Real Madrid. He is very similar to Rui Costa (not a pattern emerging here, surely?) in that he is a big name, but ultimately he is one of these players who flatters to deceive.

He's never been in the league of the "top" players, such as Zidane.

His proposed move to Newcastle stinks of a last giant payday as well. Well good luck to them, I'm sure he will be a great help when they are playing Wigan on a wet Wednesday evening. If they want to pay him in excess of 60k a week, which I expect he will demand then it's their choice. He won't be worth it though.

Jimbo ?
20-06-2005, 05:15 PM
past his best but would still do a decent job for them. although they still wont win anything until the get rid of all the rubbish in the club - souness included

m355y
20-06-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Palaceboy222
Another Klivert?

exactly what I was thinking.

Good player, could be a great signing, but...

cpfc_spc1982
20-06-2005, 06:14 PM
still world class.

Eagle Of Cray
20-06-2005, 06:19 PM
Simon Jordan has just announced that there is absolutely no way the Figo deal will go through!

palace 4 life
20-06-2005, 06:23 PM
Kluveirt was amazing last season it annoyed me so much when people said he flopped. He was better than shearer he scored a good amount of goals and his link up play was top class everyone just wanted him to fail and were to ignorant to see he had a good season.

gjtango
20-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by palace 4 life
Kluveirt was amazing last season it annoyed me so much when people said he flopped. He was better than shearer he scored a good amount of goals and his link up play was top class everyone just wanted him to fail and were to ignorant to see he had a good season.

Laughable.

palace 4 life
20-06-2005, 06:27 PM
ok mate i saw more newcastle games than you then

LeeH
20-06-2005, 06:29 PM
Past it? Not one of my favourite players but if he was to sign for Palace tomorrow, I think there'd be a tissue shortage in Sth London due to excessive masturbation! :D

A few 'past it' experienced heads may have been what we needed last season to keep us up

saxo_demon22
20-06-2005, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Barry
32 is not past it.

How old was Lombardo when he joined Palace? And more recently, wasn't Michael Hughes one of our top performers in the Premiership last year?

Figo is past his best - but no way can you say he is past it . 1 year of Figo at 60% of his best would be great for Newcastle.

He's lost a hell of a lot of pace and a player of his position needs to be able to show defending players a clean set of heels. His amazing lack of speed would render him useless in the Premiership, the Spanish league is a lot less frantic then the Premiership and there's more time on the ball. Figo would be a terrible signing IMO.

gjtango
20-06-2005, 07:20 PM

Wow wee. For you to classify Kluivert as being amazing last season deserves a laugh. Far from it.

gjtango
20-06-2005, 07:22 PM

P.S. I guess you would make remarks like that of Kluivert considering your signiture....:rolleyes:

forsells no1 fan
20-06-2005, 07:38 PM
His best days look to be behind him but hes no worse than what they already have so he might be okay. Wouldnt suprise me if this going public is a ploy for some bigger teams to come in for him?

Brett
20-06-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by saxo_demon22
He's lost a hell of a lot of pace and a player of his position needs to be able to show defending players a clean set of heels. His amazing lack of speed would render him useless in the Premiership, the Spanish league is a lot less frantic then the Premiership and there's more time on the ball. Figo would be a terrible signing IMO.

Utter bollocks. His game was never based on pace. He was all about keeping the ball shifted, shimmies and feints, touch and precision.

MikeyDread
20-06-2005, 08:12 PM

A match made in heaven.

Sorry you do not have a clue about football :grrr:

Dom303
20-06-2005, 08:19 PM
Captain of an over-rated Portugal team, not spectacular when he was at Real Madrid. He is very similar to Rui Costa (not a pattern emerging here, surely?) in that he is a big name, but ultimately he is one of these players who flatters to deceive.

He's never been in the league of the "top" players, such as Zidane.

His proposed move to Newcastle stinks of a last giant payday as well. Well good luck to them, I'm sure he will be a great help when they are playing Wigan on a wet Wednesday evening. If they want to pay him in excess of 60k a week, which I expect he will demand then it's their choice. He won't be worth it though. Does captain of an overrated Portugal team make him an underachiever? The reason Portugal did not do so well in their 'golden years' was because they were overrated, not because they were underachievers.

For crying out loud, Figo was World Player of the Year, he won La Liga, and the Champions League. There is a reason why the Barca fans worshipped him like a god, then turned on him when he left for 40 million quid to their biggest rivals.

Jay_Palace
20-06-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Dom303
Does captain of an overrated Portugal team make him an underachiever? The reason Portugal did not do so well in their 'golden years' was because they were overrated, not because they were underachievers.

For crying out loud, Figo was World Player of the Year, he won La Liga, and the Champions League. There is a reason why the Barca fans worshipped him like a god, then turned on him when he left for 40 million quid to their biggest rivals.

Yes it does. The Portugese team was and still is full of extremely talented players who have never got their heads down and tried hard. They underachieved constantly and as Figo was captain, much of that stemmed from him. He was a very good player in his prime, but I can't help thinking that he lacked the motivation that propelled Zidane for example to the top of the sport. He won La Liga and the Champions league, but look at the players he was surrounded by in that Real Madrid team. Raul, Roberto Carlos, Zidane et al. He never stood out, every time I saw him.

I believe that a truly great player has to do it for both club and country. Figo has never looked more than average at international level, IMHO.

Anyway this is all entirely subjective, I'm merely stating my opinion.

Jay_Palace
20-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by MikeyDread
Sorry you do not have a clue about football :grrr:

And who the hell are you to question my footballing knowledge?

Come back later when you have something constructive to add.

El Aguila
20-06-2005, 08:32 PM
I think Figo was a great player but began to lose it after his second year in Madrid - three years back now. He's been kicked all over the place all through his career and he doesn't want it, any more.

Jay_Palace
20-06-2005, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by El Aguila
I think Figo was a great player but began to lose it after his second year in Madrid - three years back now. He's been kicked all over the place all through his career and he doesn't want it, any more.

He did definitely lose something at Madrid. An extremely frustrating player to watch, because he has such fantastic natural talent, and often at Madrid (from second season onwards) he just didn't deliver.

Dom303
20-06-2005, 08:38 PM
Yes it does. The Portugese team was and still is full of extremely talented players who have never got their heads down and tried hard. They underachieved constantly and as Figo was captain, much of that stemmed from him. He was a very good player in his prime, but I can't help thinking that he lacked the motivation that propelled Zidane for example to the top of the sport. He won La Liga and the Champions league, but look at the players he was surrounded by in that Real Madrid team. Raul, Roberto Carlos, Zidane et al. He never stood out, every time I saw him.

I believe that a truly great player has to do it for both club and country. Figo has never looked more than average at international level, IMHO.

Anyway this is all entirely subjective, I'm merely stating my opinion. That's a far point if you think that a player should do it for both club and country, although personally I disagree. However I disagree the notion that he hasn't performed for his country. In Euro 2000 he was one of the stars of the tournament (he was the architect of that comeback against England), and Portugal only went out to the eventual winners due to a golden goal penalty. They also did well at 2004, although he wasn't particularly great.

Having said that, they were crap in Japan and Korea.

saxo_demon22
20-06-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Brett
Utter bollocks. His game was never based on pace. He was all about keeping the ball shifted, shimmies and feints, touch and precision.

I didn't say it was based on pace, but he did used to be quicker than he was, that's logical. His lack of pace didn't effect his ability to play in the Spanish league as much as it would in the Premiership. They're two different styles of football.

andy_cpfc
20-06-2005, 11:19 PM
just another big time charlie - all welcome at newcastle

If he does do there I cant see him doing too well, to start with he has won everything with madrid and is unlikely to have the fight to win things, and hes a big moaner who will sulk and not help the defense if things arent going his way

richdeniro
27-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Luis Figo's agents have refused to confirm whether West Ham have made an offer for the Portuguese star, insisting that Real Madrid remain in control of the player's future.

Figo looks set to depart El Santiago Bernabeu this summer after failing to maintain a regular starting berth under Wanderley Luxemburgo.

A number of English clubs have been linked with a possible move, with Newcastle known to be one of those interested.

However, Figo's wages are known to be a major stumbling block for any side looking to take him and that is reportedly one of the main reasons that the likes of Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal have all thus far failed to make an offer.

West Ham are now reportedly set to offer Figo a huge 60,000 package plus incentives - although that is still only two thirds of his current Real deal.

Louis Douens of Starzone, who handle Figo, has told skysports.com that the player's future is yet to be decided.

"At his moment there are several clubs interested in Figo," Douens said.

"But the key question is reaching agreement with Real Madrid.

"This is not an auction and Figo will not just take the biggest offer.

"Luis will decide and he has already rejected several approaches."

Douens did admit that the interest from England was still very much alive.

"We have offers from England, but we cannot name the teams as we are working seriously on them.

"If the player decides to leave Real then some money conditions will have to be met - Luis is a worldwide star."

Figo has always insisted that he would like to move to England, but should money be the major factor in his next move - then a possible transfer to the Middle East looks likely.

Stuttgart, Panathinaikos, Marseille and Lyon are also thought to be keen on Figo.

El Aguila
27-06-2005, 10:23 PM
West Ham! Hahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lambeth Palace
27-06-2005, 10:28 PM
A change of airs might do him good.

Palaceboy222
29-06-2005, 09:55 AM
PLEASE go to west ham, they will go down anyway and he will be on 60K per week, hahaha,

Gooders
29-06-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by richdeniro

West Ham are now reportedly set to offer Figo a huge 60,000 package plus incentives - although that is still only two thirds of his current Real deal.

Pissing myself laughing.