PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 2

Neil
27-06-2005, 09:10 AM
Just wondered if anybody has bought this or tried the demo yet? Never got the original, but loved Star Wars: Battlefront - which is based on the original Battlefield I believe.

Is it worth getting?
What's online play like?

Cheers in advance :p

cumbrian_eagles
27-06-2005, 11:09 AM
I'm waiting for the XBox version, at the moment its due for a September/Octover release, but it could easily slip to 360 as its been due for about a year!

RDSdaEAGLE
27-06-2005, 11:13 AM
My brother bought it this weekend, and he loves it. I'll get him to write a quick review of it on here.

Neil
27-06-2005, 12:06 PM
Nice one RDS. Very tempted to go and buy this at lunchtime.

EDtheHead6445
27-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Hi, this is RDS's brother.
I got Battlefield 2 on friday. I love this game. The presentation of the game is very good. The options menu is clear, and by clicking on tabs at the top of the screen, you can find your stats, multiplayer games, or load up a single player game or a LAN match. When i started playing i was really very impressed indeed, Battlefield certainly has the wow factor. The graphics are excellent, on a par in many ways with Halflife 2. My first view was a fighter screaming overhead, with the pilot smoothly carrying out swoops and turns. The framerates are good, and after a bit of messing around with the settings you can make them even better. However, the most important part of any game for me is gameplay, and Battlefield is brilliant. You can choose to play as a variety of roles, including medic, support (machine gunner,) engineer, anti tank and Special Forces (and more.) Each of these plays a crucial role in the fighting, and when youre killed you can change to any of the classes, which is especially useful if youre being attacked by a tank! The best thing about the battlefield games is the ability to hop into any vehicle you see, meaning that in one game you can fly over an enemy in a helicopter, jump out, open your parachute, jump in a tank and blow the bad guy to pieces. Battlefield 2 has a massive number of modern vehicles and weapons, giving quite a lot of variety to the fighting. The fighting very quickly gets intense, but this is helped by the addition of a commander, who can give orders to squads (made up of 6 players each- its recommended you join these at the start of a game) and send in artillery or supplies. Ive only played this mode once, but when i did i really enjoyed it- you play in a top down view, and can zoom in to give a better view of the battle. This mode is very similar to an RTS, like Command and Conquer or Close Combat, and its great being in charge of 31 people. Maps come in a 16, 32 or 64 player version, meaning if you play only a small number of people you dont spend ages trying to find them (the 64 player maps are huuuge.) Sound is very good, with each gun having a lot of thump. Another excellent feature is the player tracking server, which keeps details of your progress, giving you promotions and eventually new unlockable weapons.
At the moment it seems like EA are having trouble with their ranked servers (the ones which give you promotions) with lots of these servers suffering from massive lag (annoying stuttering)- but if you look hard enough you can find ones which dont have lag, and if you dont manage this you can play unranked games which have no lag. Also the game suffers from a few crashes, but these are definitely liveable. I should imagine these will be addressed in a patch pretty soon, but theyre not a big problem. The game also needs a pretty good machine to run with the graphics maxed out, but there are plenty of options to fine tune the game for your machine.
In all im really very happy with Battlefield 2, the gameplay, the graphics-everything is brilliant. I think its well worth picking up (i got mine on amazon for 27.99 so its not too bad.) Enjoy!

Neil
27-06-2005, 08:42 PM
Nice one RDS's Brother. Sounds like one worth picking up :p

greybot
27-06-2005, 08:47 PM
And Call of Duty 2 out this autumn.

Neil
27-06-2005, 08:50 PM
Looks amazing on xbox 360