PDA

View Full Version : Gerrard or Lampard?

Stevecpfc767
01-07-2005, 09:20 PM
Me and some friends had this argument today! Who would you rather have in your team Steven Gerrard or Frank Lampard! I said Gerrard but they disagreed with me!

Your thoughts,

Stavros 69
01-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Gerrard

TopKnot
01-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Definately Gerrard for me too.

Mojo Jojo
01-07-2005, 09:30 PM
well, I had Lampard in my fantasy football team last season and he did very well for me. However if either of them fancied signing for Palace, I wouldn't be too upset.

Neil
01-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Mojo Jojo
well, I had Lampard in my fantasy football team last season and he did very well for me. However if either of them fancied signing for Palace, I wouldn't be too upset.

I would. I'd stop going.

:afro:

Travelcard
01-07-2005, 10:01 PM
In terms of recent form it has to be Lampard, I think, but Gerrard has more talent.

SpikeyMatt
01-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Frank Lampard.

Play him in the middle of the England midfield with Michael Carrick, we'd be a fantastic international side, with a very realistic chance of winning the World Cup next summer.

The sooner Sven notices that Lampard and Gerrard don't form a good partnership for England, the better for our national side - it unbalances the side and makes it too attacking minded. All successful teams have the defensive midfielder, the libero, the anchorman - Chelsea have the best in the world in Claude Makelele which gets the best out of Frank Lampard; I think that Michael Carrick could do the same job for England and make us a better team in the progress.

Lampard for me.

Golf Boy
01-07-2005, 10:08 PM
Gerrard is a better player than Lampard. Lampard couldn't carry a team the way Gerrard has.

Luke Harwood
01-07-2005, 10:54 PM
Gerrad by a hair because of his leadership qualities.

boxing francis
01-07-2005, 11:00 PM
Gerrard for me, he has the defensive and offensive sides to his game. Lampard needs a midfielder like Makalele to help him out whereas Gerrard doesnt. The amount of games Gerrard has carried Liverpool is amazing and when he doesnt play well Liverpool dont either.

Absolution
01-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Gerrard simply because I reckon the reason Lampard suddenly became so amazing was when 100 million worth of players appeared in his squad! Good player not as good as Gerrard.

IW_Eagle
01-07-2005, 11:12 PM
Lampard

SilkkWilliems
02-07-2005, 09:41 AM
Gerrard is twice the player lampard is. If they are both on form theres not much between then but stevies bad days are equal to a good hamann while lampards are equal to Shefki Kuqi!!

Shipp Ahoy!
02-07-2005, 09:55 AM
For Palace definately Lampard, the one thing we have always missed is a good attacking midfielder who will get plenty of goals. Lampard provides this, and while Gerrard scores some amazing strikes they are less in frequency.

CHE
02-07-2005, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by SpikeyMatt
Frank Lampard.

Play him in the middle of the England midfield with Michael Carrick, we'd be a fantastic international side, with a very realistic chance of winning the World Cup next summer.

The sooner Sven notices that Lampard and Gerrard don't form a good partnership for England, the better for our national side - it unbalances the side and makes it too attacking minded. All successful teams have the defensive midfielder, the libero, the anchorman - Chelsea have the best in the world in Claude Makelele which gets the best out of Frank Lampard; I think that Michael Carrick could do the same job for England and make us a better team in the progress.

Lampard for me.

ha,ha ha. You play Lampard and Carrick and we wouldn't even get out of our group.

cpfc_spc1982
02-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by CHE
ha,ha ha. You play Lampard and Carrick and we wouldn't even get out of our group.

id play carrick. neither lampard and gerrard have the discipline to hold back thus leaves a big gap.

follow cpfc
02-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Gerrad

WorthingEagle
02-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Lampard.

Gerrard plays ten hopeful 'long passes' a game, one comes off and he's lauded as a genius.

follow cpfc
02-07-2005, 07:12 PM
You cant really pick

m355y
02-07-2005, 07:47 PM
They're totally different.

I think Gerrard's a much better player though. Lampard's terriffic at what he does but has a far more limited range of talents.

follow cpfc
02-07-2005, 08:38 PM
They are difffrent players

CHE
04-07-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by cpfc_spc1982
id play carrick. neither lampard and gerrard have the discipline to hold back thus leaves a big gap.

I MIGHT play Carrick, I MIGHT have Lampard in the squad. Gerrard should be the first name on the sheet (and the captain).

My point was the idea of playing JUST Carrick and Lampard in the middle of the field as neither of these are true top class footballers (though Carrick might become one).

SilkkWilliems
04-07-2005, 08:47 PM
Carrick Better than Gerard????? Oh yes this is a palace site!!

SilkkWilliems
04-07-2005, 08:47 PM
Add another r there!!

Balti Man
04-07-2005, 08:53 PM
id have Gerrard over Lampard for his pure inspirationsal and leadership qualities

Jay_Palace
04-07-2005, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by SilkkWilliems

That wasn't the point. The point raised was that Gerrard and Lampard cannot play in the same side and we need to introduce a Carrick type player to provide some balance alongside gerrard [or Lampard].

akinbiyifan
04-07-2005, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by SpikeyMatt
Frank Lampard.

Lampard for me.

You have been listening to too much of Alan Hansen's crap. There is no way you could drop Gerrard a European cup player for Michael Carick.

Stevecpfc767
04-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Surely the England central midfield has to consist of these two though!

Jay_Palace
04-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by akinbiyifan
You have been listening to too much of Alan Hansen's crap. There is no way you could drop Gerrard a European cup player for Michael Carick.

But you cannot successfully play Gerrard and Lampard in the same team! It has been proven not to work.

I'm not a huge Carrick fan, but he is a holding midfielder and that's what England desperately needs.

Oh for an English Claude Makalele.

oscarthecat
04-07-2005, 09:26 PM
Gerrard

palace & proud
04-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Gerrard

Celestial Empire
04-07-2005, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by boxing francis
The amount of games Gerrard has carried Liverpool is amazing and when he doesnt play well Liverpool dont either.

Actually, today Sky showed the stats which prove exactly the opposite - they've done better without Gerrard, strange but true.

Falco
05-07-2005, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Celestial Empire
Actually, today Sky showed the stats which prove exactly the opposite - they've done better without Gerrard, strange but true.

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. It reflects the fact that he is incapable of playing for the team, but needs the team to be molded around him (unlike Lampard, who is more than prepared to combine the disciplined work with the more spectacular). If I were Chelsea, I would stay well clear: Lampard and Makelele were the key to their success last season, and I would not want anything to interfere with that.

AlgotTheEagle
05-07-2005, 08:38 AM
Lampard

David of Kent
05-07-2005, 08:40 AM
It's a toughie but I'd go for Lampard. Both are very fine players however whenever I watch Gerrard he seems to go for the killer pass such a lot that he often loses possession for his team. Gerrard also seems a less responsible player to play alongside, for example both have played a lot alongside Makelele and Hamann who both sit back and allow them to go forward. Gerrard seems to take this notion to the max with continual forward runs but not showing so much enthusiasm getting back. Lampard does go on lots of forward runs to, however he seems to time his better and curb the need to do it constantly.

JHJ EAGLE
05-07-2005, 08:43 AM
Definately Gerrard:p

Bryan
05-07-2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by SilkkWilliems

The point is that both players essentially fill the same role of attacking midfield even though they have different strengths. When all your midfield is on the attack you are leaving yourself open espescially to the stronger teams. You also need a good balance of players that are capable of winning the ball effectively and cleanly i.e. without conceding set pieces. Having a player with the quality of Lampard on the bench and fresh during the second half would also be a big bonus in my opinion.

LP
05-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Gerrard for me too, but England have them both which is very nice thank you.

I can understand the calls for Carrick to be involved, it's not about who on paper is the better player it's about having the right balance in midfield. Carrick can do that Didier Deshamps/Makelele type role well, the worry with playing Gerrard and Lamps is that they both charge forward, leaving us open to counter attacks.

SpikeyMatt
05-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by akinbiyifan

Not at all.

I'm a firm believer that ALL successful sides of recent years have an anchorman, playing the vital role between the defence and midfield. Just to break down play and use the ball with easy passes to start the momentum for attacking moves.

Chelsea, undoubtedly have the best in the world - Claude Makelele is the best on the planet at this job. He's one of the unsung heroes, but without him, I don't think Chelsea will have won the league last season. Arsenal have Patrick Vieira, Man Utd have Roy Keane, Greece won Euro 2004 with Theo Zagorakis sitting in that hole - it is a vital position in modern football.

Michael Carrick is IDEAL for this role - he is an excellent player in terms of playing the simple ball, and breaking up play and recycling it effectively. Putting him in front of an already very good defence in international terms wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

Neither Steven Gerrard, nor Frank Lampard for that matter, can play this role - their mindset is set to drive forward, bomb on, play the 50 yard passes and score goals from in and around the 18 yard box. Playing both of them in a four man midfield would be nigh-on impossible when playing the calibre of Brazil and their attacking options.

As I've said - I'd take Lampard over Gerrard in an England shirt, if only because Lampard offers the genuine and consistent goal threat as opposed to Gerrard who seems more intent on spraying the 50 yard Hollywood passes. We've got Beckham to do that, we don't need Gerrard doing it too.

Lampard and Carrick, winning formula.

Away Day Eagle
06-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Golf Boy
Gerrard is a better player than Lampard. Lampard couldn't carry a team the way Gerrard has.

Exactly. :p

GloverUK
06-07-2005, 03:35 PM
HUGHSIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(lampard)

Mackenuff
06-07-2005, 04:45 PM
Lampard.

Simple fact is that he is equally as good as Gerrard and scores more goals.

Billy Gilbert
06-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Gerrard is potentially the better player but I agree with critics that at times he has been inconsistent....but then again he was inspired 2nd half vs Milan in the CLF. (+ many other occasions)

He should develop in the next year or so in to a truely world class player.

Lamps is a fine, fine player. IMO turned himself around when he joined Chelsea. At West Ham he always looked a tad overweight with a rep. as a bit of a drinker.
At 28 (18 months older than SG), he is playing at the top of his game & would be difficult to leave him out of the England side.

The problem SGE has is accomodating both.

Personally he should play both as centre mids with a holding type player behind. Problem is where does that leave Beckham??

Solve this conundrum & we'll have a good chance of winning the WC next summer (well, maybe get to the semi's & lose on pens!)

Beck The Eagle
08-07-2005, 12:52 PM
lampard by a mile.

brentford eagle
08-07-2005, 12:54 PM
LAMPARD COS HE IS A LONDONER

mexicaneagle
09-07-2005, 03:37 AM
Lampard for all the reasons already stated: more goals, less selfish, more consistent. And I agree that Carrick is a good holding player. Gerrard on the left again.

Oliver V
10-07-2005, 07:53 AM
Gerrard and lampard are both prettz much the same but i think i!d choose Gerrard simplz because Liverpool are a decent club whereas Chelsea are simplz scum.

Ships is back
10-07-2005, 08:08 AM
Lampard everytime!!

Scores goals and works hard and is always fit. Gerrard missed 8 league games through injury and only scored 4 goals. Lampard didnt miss a game and scored about 16.