PDA

View Full Version : Not interested in playing competetive football then, Paulo?!

RDSdaEAGLE
13-07-2005, 12:21 AM
Paulo Wanchope has turned down a move from Malaga to Portsmouth in order to sign a lucrative deal with Qatari outfit Al-Gharafa Sports Club.

The Costa Rican striker flew to England for talks with Pompey on Friday, but after meeting club officials decided that he would prefer a stint in the Middle East rather than a return to The Premiership.

Wanchope wasted no time in accepting the offer from Al-Gharafa after only receiving their offer on Tuesday morning.

Malaga spoke with officials from the Qatar outfit throughout the afternoon and a deal was quickly thrashed out that will see the player move for a nominal fee.

The news will shock Portsmouth chairman, Milan Mandaric, who voiced his confidence that the club had done enough to secure the services of the former Manchester City forward.

The South Coast outfit had been hoping to pair the unpredictable forward with new signing Collins Mbesuma, although their plans are now in disarray after the cash rich Qatari league lured the star away from Spain.

Wanchope admitted that the financial rewards were too good to turn down, although insisted that his new outfit were an ambitious side.

"I arrived at Qatar the weekend and I was convinced that the option of the Al-Gharafah club was the best one," Wanchope told his official website.

"I am very happy with the decision that I took because I found good conditions, sport and economic, and mainly because I have signed with a great club with a lot of ambition."

Wanchope, who also illuminated The Premiership during a spell with Derby, voiced his opinion that after eight years in Europe he was ready to open his eyes to a new cultural experience in the emerging Qatari league.

"I fulfilled my dream to play in England and Spain, I spent eight years playing in Europe and learned much," Wanchope continued.

"I am formed as player and I acquired the maturity necessary to develop in competitive leagues of soccer; now I will face another challenge.

"Arriving in Qatar does not mean that the doors to Europe are going to close.

"I see the move like a great opportunity that appeared to me and that will help to me to live new cultural and sport experiences."

I love the bit I've highlighted. It just seems like total bullsh*t to me :D

SA Eagle
13-07-2005, 11:18 AM
Fancy that, a Professional Footballer following the money :eek: