PDA

View Full Version : How funny is this...


dougierules
14-07-2005, 10:27 AM
http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/News/Story_Page/0,7760,1771_570444,00.html

Speroni reckons he can oust Kiraly!!! Well it made me laugh anyway!

follow cpfc
14-07-2005, 11:06 AM
LOL in your dreams

dazaki
14-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Bit harsh of you, surely the fact that Dowie picked him before Kiraly at the beginning of last season says something about the guys ability. I think that with a few good games pre season, could restore the confidence that he undoubtedly lost in the the matches such as the one against Everton, and we could see him as the goalkeeper that he is meant to be.

LP
14-07-2005, 11:20 AM
What would you prefer him to say? 'I'm definately not going to get the number 1 jersey from Gabor so I'm not even going try, I'm just content to play in the reserves and pick up my wage packet each month'?

Fair play to him for showing ambition and trying to suceed.

heinz 57
14-07-2005, 11:32 AM
I heard a rumour that Mike Kelly actually thinks Speroni is technically the better keeper, but needs to improve his communication and control of the box. it's not impossible that with a bit more experience he could turn out to be a very good buy.

Dickster
14-07-2005, 11:42 AM
I posted this just now on another thread, but it may be of more relevance here (it's your own fault if you read it twice!!):

Funny how goalkeepers get judged so quickly and often so harshly. I will admit that Speroni made a couple of obsolute shockers and looked a bag of nerves after that, but who wouldn't. The guys had exactly what he needed now, a good long period out of the limelight to get himself together. Now I don't know if he is going to prove to be good enough, but I certainly don't think most of us have seen enough to know he won't. Remember this guy came with rave reviews from Scotland (I even have a vague recolection of talk of him being a potential international(?)) and correct me if I'm wrong but people that watch the reserves regularly seem to think he's done okay.

Put it this way, the general concensus is Gabor is quality, now had he made his cock ups (and he has made some, Chelsea anyone?) early on and then subsequantly been dropped, I'm pretty sure people would be judging him just as harshly and how wrong they'd be.

Beckenham Boy
14-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Dickster
I posted this just now on another thread, but it may be of more relevance here (it's your own fault if you read it twice!!):

Funny how goalkeepers get judged so quickly and often so harshly. I will admit that Speroni made a couple of obsolute shockers and looked a bag of nerves after that, but who wouldn't. The guys had exactly what he needed now, a good long period out of the limelight to get himself together. Now I don't know if he is going to prove to be good enough, but I certainly don't think most of us have seen enough to know he won't. Remember this guy came with rave reviews from Scotland (I even have a vague recolection of talk of him being a potential international(?)) and correct me if I'm wrong but people that watch the reserves regularly seem to think he's done okay.

Put it this way, the general concensus is Gabor is quality, now had he made his cock ups (and he has made some, Chelsea anyone?) early on and then subsequantly been dropped, I'm pretty sure people would be judging him just as harshly and how wrong they'd be.

Very true Dickster, with you all the way on this !

Beanie
14-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by heinz 57
I heard a rumour that Mike Kelly actually thinks Speroni is technically the better keeper, but needs to improve his communication and control of the box. it's not impossible that with a bit more experience he could turn out to be a very good buy.
But then what does Mike Kelly know about goalkeepers? :rolleyes:
Seems to be almost an article of faith that Speroni is useless. If ANY player on the bench or in the reserves doesn't think he has a chance of making the starting XI is he really any use to anybody?

BrianF
14-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Speroni is really a bit of an unknown for us still. However, the cock up against Everton, I believe, had a huge bearing on the rest of the season. At the time, we were 1-0 up and running the Toffees ragged and Speroni, trying to be clever in a division he had never played in, handed the initiative back to them on a plate. It is not unreasonable to also think that had we won that game, Everton could have gone on to have a dire season, having been thrashed by Arsenal at home a week earlier.

Personally, I would not be confident withe Jules between the sticks

Chunt
14-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Hillarious.

Pub Idol
14-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by BrianF
Speroni is really a bit of an unknown for us still. However, the cock up against Everton, I believe, had a huge bearing on the rest of the season. At the time, we were 1-0 up and running the Toffees ragged and Speroni, trying to be clever in a division he had never played in, handed the initiative back to them on a plate. It is not unreasonable to also think that had we won that game, Everton could have gone on to have a dire season, having been thrashed by Arsenal at home a week earlier.

Personally, I would not be confident withe Jules between the sticks

Agreed. We were flying and then all of a sudden totally deflated. We didnt get a point in the next 5 games !

David of Kent
14-07-2005, 01:06 PM
Not funny at all.

I'm pleased as punch that our second choice keeper believes that he can outperform the first choice. We'd have a shocking squad if no one believed they could get past the guy in possession.

fwied wice
14-07-2005, 01:08 PM
The only way I can see Speroni playing (in the league) is if Kiraly gets injured or leaves

GOD
14-07-2005, 01:08 PM
Good luck to him, can't see anything funny in that article - some of you need to get out more!

Jay_Palace
14-07-2005, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by David of Kent
Not funny at all.

I'm pleased as punch that our second choice keeper believes that he can outperform the first choice. We'd have a shocking squad if no one believed they could get past the guy in possession.

Exactly.

I've been impressed with Jules' attitude to being dropped last season. He is a good pro and Im sure will come good for us.

David of Kent
14-07-2005, 01:13 PM
Plus it was good to see the camaraderie between the two when Speroni helped us win the League Cup game at Charlton last season and Kiraly ran on the pitch afterwards towards his colleague to celebrate. Brilliant attitude from both.

Scoot
14-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by BrianF
However, the cock up against Everton, I believe, had a huge bearing on the rest of the season.

How the hell can you say that?? They scored 3 !!
O and another 4 at home with Kiraly between the sticks.

Give Speroni a chance for god's sake.

dazaki
14-07-2005, 03:34 PM
I've got to say that the attitudes shown towards Speroni are kind of immature, with the majority of people being reluctant to give our second choice 'keeper a second chance. All goalkeepers have their moments (good and bad) so i think that people should get off his back and let him show us how good he actually is.

LP
14-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by BrianF
Speroni is really a bit of an unknown for us still. However, the cock up against Everton, I believe, had a huge bearing on the rest of the season. At the time, we were 1-0 up and running the Toffees ragged and Speroni, trying to be clever in a division he had never played in, handed the initiative back to them on a plate. It is not unreasonable to also think that had we won that game, Everton could have gone on to have a dire season, having been thrashed by Arsenal at home a week earlier.

Personally, I would not be confident withe Jules between the sticks
The Everton match was seriously depressing experience and I think some on here are still upset by it.

kolinkins
14-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by heinz 57
I heard a rumour that Mike Kelly actually thinks Speroni is technically the better keeper, but needs to improve his communication and control of the box. it's not impossible that with a bit more experience he could turn out to be a very good buy.

Thats exactly what he, and Dowie think. It will be a shame if we dont see the best of him because of the fans.

kolinkins
14-07-2005, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Pub Idol
Agreed. We were flying and then all of a sudden totally deflated. We didnt get a point in the next 5 games !

And what of AJ's simple misses at 1-0?

Webb
14-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by David of Kent
Not funny at all.

I'm pleased as punch that our second choice keeper believes that he can outperform the first choice. We'd have a shocking squad if no one believed they could get past the guy in possession.

Spot on.:p

I think he's a great keeper who suffered from a few nerves at the start of last season. Nothing sinister about his ability, in my eyes - and I hope he gets a chance this season to prove to what seems like a large number of our supporters that he is actually a great keeper.

BrianF
15-07-2005, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Scoot
How the hell can you say that?? They scored 3 !!
O and another 4 at home with Kiraly between the sticks.

Give Speroni a chance for god's sake.

I'm not saying I wouldn't give him a chance, hence the first line of the post, but they scored 3 because we (he) handed the initiative back to them. Without the penalty, we might have gone on to score 3 ourselves with no reply. They were on the rack at the time. As for the 4 at Goodison, what I'm saying is that they might have not been going for a champions league place had we not thrown away the first game (home defeat by Arsenal, defeat to unfancied CPFC + no Rooney = miserable start) By then we were def. relagation canditates and they were 4th. I hardly think you can compare the two.

eagles #1
15-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Scoot
How the hell can you say that?? They scored 3 !!
O and another 4 at home with Kiraly between the sticks.

Give Speroni a chance for god's sake. He had a chance and blew it. He also managed to push the ball INTO the net against Portsmouth when it was going wide, quite extrodinary.

However...i was there at the Charlton cup game and the guy kept us in it, so theres no doubting his ability. But to say he didnt have a chance is bullshit. I'm glad he seems to have got a bit of confidence back and thinks he's good enough to be number 1 though.

GreatGonzo
15-07-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by BrianF
Speroni is really a bit of an unknown for us still. However, the cock up against Everton, I believe, had a huge bearing on the rest of the season. At the time, we were 1-0 up and running the Toffees ragged and Speroni, trying to be clever in a division he had never played in, handed the initiative back to them on a plate. It is not unreasonable to also think that had we won that game, Everton could have gone on to have a dire season, having been thrashed by Arsenal at home a week earlier.

Personally, I would not be confident withe Jules between the sticks

And if Kiraly had a more conventional style we would have stayed 2-1 up at Charlton and stayed up.

Lets not pretend that Kiraly didn't make mistakes too! Speroni needs confidence and communication but i would be happy to see him between the sticks!

dougierules
15-07-2005, 03:04 PM
I wasn't really saying that Speroni was utter crap as most of you seem to think I was. I just think it's funny that he reckons he can oust Kiraly, who was amazing for us last season! Sorry if Ive offended anyone :p

Balti Man
15-07-2005, 03:19 PM
I think that Speroni is a decent enough keeper but his mistakes will always count against him. Also i dont think he will get the opportunity to take Gabors place in net this season if he stays fit (touch wood)