PDA

View Full Version : Todays Adder Palace News

c_block_lad
15-07-2005, 11:51 AM
For those of you who are to tight to pay 45p ;)

Macken aiming to add true northern grit

Jul 15 2005
By David Groves

AFTER spending all of his career so far in the north of England Crystal Palace's new striker Jon Macken is determined to turn the Eagles into true southern contenders for a Premiership return.

Manchester-born Macken, 27, has played for both Manchester clubs, United and City, along with Preston, but is anxious to make the most of his new career chapter after moving down to the capital city.

Macken should provide just the kind of quality and experience that is needed to bolster an Eagles attack which has perhaps been a little on the light side in the recent past.

He has clocked up considerable know-how during 159 league appearances for Preston and 27 league starts for City. Macken signed as a trainee at United, having started his career at Old Trafford.

Meanwhile, he is under no illusions about the gruelling Championship schedule that Iain Dowie's men will face in their bid to return to the Premiership.

Macken admitted: "I did not know much about the move to Palace beforehand and it came as a bit of a surprise but it was a nice one. Obviously at Manchester City I wasn't playing very much so I have come down here and I will do as well as I can and help the team progress.

"At the end of the day when you watched Palace last season it was clear to see that we had quality players and were unfortunate to get relegated but we are looking to bounce back straight away. It will be a difficult season. It always is in the Championship because you play a lot more games than in the Premiership and there are some very good sides but we are prepared to go the full hog and hopefully we will achieve what we are all aiming for and that is promotion.

"The games come thick and fast in the Championship but that is just part of football. You have got to take every game as it comes and it will be important to get a good start. If you get a good start then you can start looking ahead to the rest of the season and hopefully by Christmas time we will be in the top six."

Macken reflected that given the success of star striker Andy Johnson it was surprising that the Eagles were relegated in spite of their best efforts to stay afloat last season.

He said: "Andy had a fantastic season last year and he did very well but it was unfortunate that Palace ended up going down after all that he did. Unfortunately it was not to be and hopefully he will stay and help the club get back up."

He added: "The two home friendly matches should be good games. Inter Milan will be an exciting game as it is something a bit different for everyone I suppose, and West Ham United will be a great game as well. They will be two good games and hopefully we will give a good account of ourselves and do well.

"I think I have got a point to prove to myself this season because I think it is difficult when you don't play as many games as you like and you are not getting goals. Then you do start to disbelieve in yourself a little bit but I am certainly not looking to hold on to that and I am going to push on now and become a better player and score more goals.

"That is why I have come to Palace to learn more from the coaches and other players. I have now got some experience of the place and I have now got to get a good pre-season inside me and I will take it on from there, hopefully get a few goals and we will do well."

Facing competition from the likes of re-signed Dougie Freedman should bring out the best in Macken, who is relishing his tilt at restoring Palace to the Premiership.

His pedigree is well established and Macken should add considerable firepower to the Eagles' attempt to soar back to the top-flight at the first time of asking.

Palace close in on Lomas

Jul 15 2005
By David Groves

CRYSTAL Palace hope to make West Ham United club captain Steve Lomas their fourth summer signing when the Northern Ireland international is expected to report for training next week.

The Eagles' director of football, Bob Dowie, confirmed yesterday (Thursday) that they were planning for the midfielder to join them at Beckenham in the next few days. Lomas may eventually join new signings Jon Macken, Jobi McAnuff and Darren Ward.

Dowie said: "Nothing has happened yet but Steve is trying to negotiate his way out of West Ham and the matter is really in their hands. However, we hope that he may come training for assessment with us next week."

Palace's players leave for their week's tour to Germany next Monday, so Lomas, who hails from Coleraine, would be left to train with the club's backup squad.

Lomas, 31, a former international team-mate of Palace boss Iain Dowie, has been told he can leave Upton Park following their promotion to the Premiership. And the Palace manager has wasted little time in trying to secure Lomas' signature after holding talks with him, having played alongside Lomas for both club and country, as Dowie also appeared for the Hammers.

The experienced player has been linked with Scottish Premier League side Hearts, Championship rivals Preston North End and Palace, but his association with Dowie may prove to be decisive.

There is also the factor that Wanstead-based Lomas might want to stay in London.

Meanwhile, Lomas is still trying to sort out his payoff from the Hammers where he is rumoured to have fallen out with manager Alan Pardew, who has said that the player does not figure in his future plans.

West Ham set off for their tour to Sweden this week without Lomas, who has a year to go on his long-term contract on Premiership wages with his pay-off from the club still to be resolved. This would then enable Lomas to move on a free transfer.

Lomas, who joined West Ham from Manchester City for 1.6million in 1997, has been ruled out of action through a serious ankle injury. The last two years have been particularly injury-ravaged for the midfielder.

One player who will not be joining Palace is ex-England goalkeeper Ian Walker, despite spending a couple of days this week training with the club at Trinity School.

Walker, who started his career with Spurs and earned four international caps, was one of seven players released by Leicester City boss Craig Levein.

Bob Dowie explained: "Ian wanted to sign for us but he has gone to Bolton instead. It was simply the fact that we could not sign him as we already have two goalkeepers [Gabor Kiraly and Julian Speroni] on contract. We just allowed him to train with us as a favour."

Meanwhile, the same stumbling block remains for Palace as they attempt to bring in further signings.

Bob Dowie "We are still looking for another forward but that situation is contingent on a number of our squad leaving the club. We are looking to move two or three players out before moving others in. There is still a bit of negotiation to do, although I would stress that we are still actively seeking new players."

Out-of-favour striker Neil Shipperley heads the queue of players heading for the exit door at Selhurst Park.

Meanwhile, Palace's director of football is looking forward to the club's trip to Germany next week. He said: "Our preparation work has gone really well so far and we have avoided any injuries. We will not real-y put any stock on these games coming up, although we will work hard at our training camp and focus on the start of the new season. We have done very, very well so far this year, doing some good work and all our signings are great ones."

Dowie believes that the Eagles will be "fully ready" for the new campaign a handful of games into the Championship season. He added: "We just want to come through these matches without any injuries. After all, you can have a great pre-season and then a terrible start to the new season.

"The lads have been in great spirits and there has been no hangover from relegation last season."

* Crystal Palace will have a team in this year's six-aside Masters Football tournament.

The Eagles are set to face last year's winners Chelsea, Fulham and Southampton in the Southern group.

Matches will take place at Planet Ice Arena, Milton Keynes, on Saturday, July 23 (3pm). The group winners make it to the grand final in September.

Crystal Palace squad: Billy Gilbert, Paul Bodin, Andy Gray, Paul Williams, Tony Finnigan, Alex Dyer, Vince Hillaire.

Three more players are to be confirmed in the 10-man squad, but are likely to be Perry Suckling, Simon Rodger and Phil Barber. For more information and to book tickets, go to: www.mastersfootball.com * Academy player Rhoys Wiggins has been selected for the Wales Under 19 squad for the coming friendly matches against Turkey.

Wiggins is currently a second-year scholar in the Crystal Palace Academy and last season he made seven appearances for the reserve side at full-back as well as playing regularly for the U18s.

Kevlon
15-07-2005, 11:58 AM
Cheers C Block

Beckenham Boy
15-07-2005, 11:58 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by c_block_lad
[B]For those of you who are to tight to pay 45p ;)

You must have copied that from the website unless you have nothing to do and fancied copying it all from the newspaper !

c_block_lad
15-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Beckenham Boy
[QUOTE]Originally posted by c_block_lad
[B]For those of you who are to tight to pay 45p ;)

You must have copied that from the website unless you have nothing to do and fancied copying it all from the newspaper !

;)

I buy the Adder every Friday, even during pre-season.

But yes I did copy it from the website.

Jack Regan
15-07-2005, 12:25 PM
I used to buy the Adder religiously, anxiously waiting for it every Friday because it always had a Palace scoop that surprised me. It no longer does that.

The 'news' bit of the Adder is just plain depressing...

'Thornton Heath Yardie/Triad Turf Drug War Deepens - 5 Shot'

What have they done to my town?

jone-zee
15-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Jack Regan
I used to buy the Adder religiously, anxiously waiting for it every Friday because it always had a Palace scoop that surprised me. It no longer does that.

The 'news' bit of the Adder is just plain depressing...

'Thornton Heath Yardie/Triad Turf Drug War Deepens - 5 Shot'

What have they done to my town?

Tut tut Jack. Some on here will question you 'they' remark.

nathe
15-07-2005, 12:36 PM
the sutton and epsom adder has the fact that there is a new superbug out and apparently a patient at St. helier had it.

No yardie drug wars here

15-07-2005, 01:20 PM
good to see that kirlay is going nowhere

Webb
15-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Good work, Bren.:)

Some of us would want to buy the Ad, but live outside the catchment area....

Where did La Bomb go?

eagles #1
15-07-2005, 01:42 PM
"We are still looking for another forward but that situation is contingent on a number of our squad leaving the club. We are looking to move two or three players out before moving others in. There is still a bit of negotiation to do, although I would stress that we are still actively seeking new players."

Please dont mean Sandor :sob:

Jack Regan
15-07-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by webbplebb
Some of us would want to buy the Ad, but live outside the catchment area....

No you wouldn't.

The sports writers seem to think they can't mention the word 'goalkeeper' twice in the same article.

They start off by saying 'goalkeeper' the next reference is usually to the 'stopper' then 'the man between the sticks', then it's my personal favourite 'custodian'

Laurie Dahl is the worst offender for this.

Webb
15-07-2005, 01:47 PM
No you wouldn't.

The sports writers seem to think they can't mention the word 'goalkeeper' twice in the same article.

They start off by saying 'goalkeeper' the next reference is usually to the 'stopper' then 'the man between the sticks', then it's my personal favourite 'custodian'

Laurie Dahl is the worst offender for this.

Well slap me on the wrist and call me Brenda. I'm sorry for publicly making a desire for purchasing a newspaper with a large volume of Palace news. Kind of an improvement when I have to put up with hot off the press rumours about Bristol Rovers deciding to take the gamble over a free transfer from the Conference.....

AJ
15-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by eagles #1
"We are still looking for another forward but that situation is contingent on a number of our squad leaving the club. We are looking to move two or three players out before moving others in. There is still a bit of negotiation to do, although I would stress that we are still actively seeking new players."

Please dont mean Sandor :sob:

Rather him than AJ.

I presume it means Shipps. The 2 others are interesting..... I can't think of a midfielder than needs to be released, so, it's in the back line...Pop and Butts?

Jack Regan
15-07-2005, 01:56 PM
I'm sorry for publicly making a desire for purchasing a newspaper with a large volume of Palace news.

I can't remember the last time I picked up an Adder and actually learned any Palace news.

Last week there was an interview with a couple of players which went on for ever and told me nothing.

If you like reading incisive stuff like...

"Hopefully, we'll hopefully be pushing for the Championship, hopefully, or hopefully automatic promotion, hopefully, or hopefully at least the Play-offs, hopefully"

.....then the Adder is the paper for you.

JayT
15-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by AJ
Rather him than AJ.

I presume it means Shipps. The 2 others are interesting..... [b]I can't think of a midfielder than needs to be released/[b], so, it's in the back line...Pop and Butts?

Black could do with being released

Ben H
15-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Well slap me on the wrist and call me Brenda.

Brenda.

LOL. :D

Webb
15-07-2005, 02:18 PM
I can't remember the last time I picked up an Adder and actually learned any Palace news.

Last week there was an interview with a couple of players which went on for ever and told me nothing.

If you like reading incisive stuff like...

"Hopefully, we'll hopefully be pushing for the Championship, hopefully, or hopefully automatic promotion, hopefully, or hopefully at least the Play-offs, hopefully"

.....then the Adder is the paper for you.

Fair enough. Like I say, I'd rather get shitty Palace news than shitty Bristol Rovers news.

Ben H
15-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by c_block_lad
For those of you who are to tight to pay 45p ;)

No you're not going to be a moderator.:p

limited_edition
15-07-2005, 02:22 PM
Bodin in the 6-a-side Masters footie tournament. :rolleyes:

strawberry mivi
15-07-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by limited_edition
Bodin in the 6-a-side Masters footie tournament. :rolleyes: yes but Phil Barber - woohoo!
Mr 110%

c_block_lad
15-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Slighty harsh Mr. Regan.

The adder during the season is top notch, but with any publication it is hard to do any intresting stories whilst the season has finished and the players are not around for any comments/interviews.