PDA

View Full Version : CCC or Div 1?

Stevecpfc767
17-07-2005, 08:39 PM
Now there has been a lot of argument recently as to the name of the 'coca cloa championship'! Now most people that i know prefered 'nationwide division 1' however 'coca cola championship' has a more modern name! Which do you prefer?

gjtango
17-07-2005, 08:41 PM
Division One.

Absolution
17-07-2005, 08:43 PM
Im really stupid... i clicked on the wrong one! Division 1 is a lot better

boxing francis
17-07-2005, 08:46 PM
Division one was far better.

James Melody
17-07-2005, 09:02 PM
Can we go back to division 2?

GOD
17-07-2005, 09:07 PM
Division 2 for me please, how the •••• can division 4 be League 2, what a load of PR rubbish!

Ruskin Old Boy
17-07-2005, 09:09 PM
Division 2

Ian of Chatham
17-07-2005, 09:14 PM
I got quite used to Division One but no matter what they call it, it will always be "the Second Division" or "The Second Tier of English football"

m355y
17-07-2005, 09:21 PM
Division Two for me too. The current system is stupid.

Kirby
17-07-2005, 11:31 PM
Division 1.

daz_eagle
17-07-2005, 11:36 PM
Division 1. But I now call it 'The Championship' because you can only fight against calling the leagues 'The Championship', 'League 1' and League 2' for so long before people start thinking YOU are the ignorant one.

Farawayeagle
18-07-2005, 05:06 AM
This reminds me of the people who said vinyl records and cassette tapes would never be replaced by CDs -- or McDonald's would never catch on in England because people like fish and chips too much.

It's called the Coca Cola Championship.... end of story!!!!

And you can't call it the First Division or Division One anyway --- if you want to be truly retro.

You also have to refuse to call The Premier League by its name -- and call it The First Division or Division One. This off course means we are now in the Second Division.

Frankly I'd rather be in The Championship!

You can call Crystal Palace The Glaziers if you like. But it won't change the fact that the nickname is now The Eagles.

Time waits for no man. :p ;)

Balti Man
18-07-2005, 08:22 AM
Division 1 was fine but the championship gives our league a gloss it doesn't deserve with some of the s*** temas in it.

Bring back Divisions 1, 2, 3 and 4

Raoul Duke
18-07-2005, 12:07 PM
Division 2.

GOD
18-07-2005, 12:12 PM
I think the people have spoken! add Division 2 to the poll or be prepared to take the consequences! :o

charltonhater
18-07-2005, 02:13 PM
Division 1, but I'll settle for Division 2. If I hear anyone next season using the term Championship I will probably end up punching them.

LeeH
18-07-2005, 02:23 PM
Division 2 - There are four top divisions and so thats how they should be known - Div 1, 2, 3, 4

Soon we'll have
'The Premier League'
'The Championship'
'The Noteworthy League'
'The Brass Knocker Division' :D

we_8_brighton
18-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Div 1

christopher
18-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Div 1 for me I'm afraid.

Mong!
18-07-2005, 07:37 PM
yep, division 1.

stevek
18-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Division 2

RickyB
18-07-2005, 07:40 PM
Division 2

fish finger
18-07-2005, 07:57 PM
Don't care as long as we win it.

Kevan Woz Awful
18-07-2005, 08:14 PM
First and fourmost, get the div who changed it all in the first place to go outside and have a word with himself. Then re-name the Barclays Premiership Div1 then the others could be Coca Cola League Div2, 3, & 4.

Farawayeagle
19-07-2005, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Kevan Woz Awful
First and fourmost, get the div who changed it all in the first place to go outside and have a word with himself. Then re-name the Barclays Premiership Div1 then the others could be Coca Cola League Div2, 3, & 4.

It wasn't one person who changed it. The decision was taken after consultation with all the Clubs, who stood to benefit financially from the sponsorship. It was a joint decsion between the clubs and the sponsor. I remember reading at the time that many of the Chairmen wanted a break from the old titles as the Premiership had long since departed from their Association and they felt a fresh approach to the structure was necessary.

Off course they could have told Coca Cola to get stuffed and put their their money back in their pocket. In that case Coca Cola would just have looked for a different sport to sponsor.

The only thing is the Chairmen have to find money to run the clubs.
We don't. They can't afford to live in the past.

Obviously Coca Cola didn't believe it was too clever marketing-wise to rename the Nationwide Divison One -- the Coca Cola Division Two.

We would do well to remember when we are screaming for Palace to sign this player and that player -- these comments during the discussion on the rebranding:

"The financial health of its clubs has become perhaps the highest League priority due to the limited resources available.

However there are some promising signs for the future, as the League plans to announce new initiatives beginning with the 2004-05 season, coinciding with the start of a new sponsorship agreement with Coca-Cola. The first of these changes was a rebranding of the League with the renaming of the First Division to The Championship, the Second Division to League One and the Third Division to League Two."

Snubbing its nose at the sponsorship which is the lifeblood of the modern game will do little to help Palace grow.

It's simple. The game needs the sponsors more than the sponsors need the game.

Frazer1971
19-07-2005, 04:23 AM
As I have a stutter I have to say CCC

philaire
19-07-2005, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Farawayeagle
Obviously Coca Cola didn't believe it was too clever marketing-wise to rename the Nationwide Division One -- the Coca Cola Division Two. … so what would have been wrong with the Coca Cola Football League? Would that have seriously undermined the dollars Coca Cola would have been putting in? Then call the leagues Coca Cola Football League Div 2, Coca Cola Football League Div 3, and Coca Cola Football League Div 4.

Calling the second tier a “Championship” is fooling no-one. The standard of football doesn’t change. In the end it does become irrelevant so long as the four leagues are rightly seen according to their tier in the pyramid. It only gets stuffed up when the stats books don’t recognise this. So, ridiculously, Sky (nee Rothmans) Yearbook continues to portray one of our lowly efforts in the Premiership as our highest finishing position (aka “best ever year”), ignoring our 3rd finish in the top flight in 1990-91, which in fact is rated lower than when we won Nationwide 1/Div 2/Championship or whatever it was called then.

Kevan Woz Awful
19-07-2005, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Farawayeagle
It wasn't one person who changed it. The decision was taken after consultation with all the Clubs, who stood to benefit financially from the sponsorship. It was a joint decsion between the clubs and the sponsor. I remember reading at the time that many of the Chairmen wanted a break from the old titles as the Premiership had long since departed from their Association and they felt a fresh approach to the structure was necessary.

Off course they could have told Coca Cola to get stuffed and put their their money back in their pocket. In that case Coca Cola would just have looked for a different sport to sponsor.

The only thing is the Chairmen have to find money to run the clubs.
We don't. They can't afford to live in the past.

Obviously Coca Cola didn't believe it was too clever marketing-wise to rename the Nationwide Divison One -- the Coca Cola Division Two.

We would do well to remember when we are screaming for Palace to sign this player and that player -- these comments during the discussion on the rebranding:

"The financial health of its clubs has become perhaps the highest League priority due to the limited resources available.

However there are some promising signs for the future, as the League plans to announce new initiatives beginning with the 2004-05 season, coinciding with the start of a new sponsorship agreement with Coca-Cola. The first of these changes was a rebranding of the League with the renaming of the First Division to The Championship, the Second Division to League One and the Third Division to League Two."

Snubbing its nose at the sponsorship which is the lifeblood of the modern game will do little to help Palace grow.

It's simple. The game needs the sponsors more than the sponsors need the game.

Jeepers Faraway, calm down.
You sound like you've been swigging too much of the product and gone into hyperdrive. A couple of Fosters should help.
I really don't think Coca Cola are going to take their ball home just because someone posted on the BBS that they didn't like the name of the league.

Farawayeagle
20-07-2005, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Kevan Woz Awful
Jeepers Faraway, calm down.
You sound like you've been swigging too much of the product and gone into hyperdrive. A couple of Fosters should help.
I really don't think Coca Cola are going to take their ball home just because someone posted on the BBS that they didn't like the name of the league.

I'm totally calm Kevin. Sorry if it sounded a bit hyper. Wasn't meant to. shouldn't really post, when I'm in a hurry to go out.

I wasn't suggesting that Coca Cola would take their ball home because of what is posted on here.

I was talking more about the financial clout they have in negotiations to push the
name of the League they are putting their money into. If you look at their website and their marketing ethos regarding branding -- you'll understand why they would want something more "racy" (with their marketing hats on) than boring old Coca Cola League Divison One. (I've worked on the fringes of marketing for a good number of years, and whether I like or dislike it, doesn't really matter -- but I can understand why they did it.

Football fans can be a bit insular at times. So this kind of naming thing gets them all heated up (we had it before with various incarnations of the League Cup) -- but Coca Cola are trying to reach a much wider marketing audience than just the hardline English football fans. Their association with the English Football League is aimed at a global audience as a part of their total international sponsorship of sporting events -- not just in isolation.

I'll go and lie down now -- and have a Hahn or McCaffereys --- I hate Fosters!!
:p ;)

Farawayeagle
20-07-2005, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by philaire
… so what would have been wrong with the Coca Cola Football League? Would that have seriously undermined the dollars Coca Cola would have been putting in? Then call the leagues Coca Cola Football League Div 2, Coca Cola Football League Div 3, and Coca Cola Football League Div 4.

Calling the second tier a “Championship” is fooling no-one. The standard of football doesn’t change. In the end it does become irrelevant so long as the four leagues are rightly seen according to their tier in the pyramid. It only gets stuffed up when the stats books don’t recognise this. So, ridiculously, Sky (nee Rothmans) Yearbook continues to portray one of our lowly efforts in the Premiership as our highest finishing position (aka “best ever year”), ignoring our 3rd finish in the top flight in 1990-91, which in fact is rated lower than when we won Nationwide 1/Div 2/Championship or whatever it was called then.

Firstly I'm not defending the name change. I just see no point in fighting it. The clubs need sponsorship to survive, and this has been part of the cost.

As I mentioned to Kevin Woz Awful. The naming would matter within the meetings of marketing honchos at Coca Cola. Also, since it is probably one of the most successful companies in the world -- we have to assume they are pretty good judges, compared to us, as to what affects their return from investment. Remember they do sell international broadcast rights also. So they are looking beyond just English football fans.

It's not about fooling football fans. Coca Cola has a policy to put sponsorship in what they consider important prestige sporting events/competitions. It's unlikely they have any great knowledge of the workings or nuances of the 72 league clubs and in fact they probably don't care much about the two divisions below The Championship (just part of the package The Football League got them to sign up to).

For them it is just a chance to get added exposure for their company and add it to their portfolio of sporting connections -- along with the Olympics, The World Cup, the European Champions League etc. That's the benefit to them -- in return the clubs get the money.

Just a simple business arrangement.

As for the Yearbook problem. That's a problem for the publishers. That kind of records problem occurs all the time. Some site last year had Ashton as the leading goalscorer in the Premiership for a while -- because they added in his goals for Crewe.

Time for another beer!!! Lucky I'm having a day off today and the sun is shining in Sydney. :p :)

Psyatika
20-07-2005, 05:39 AM
No more name changes for me...let's try to get this one to stick as is...

Farawayeagle
20-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Psyatika
No more name changes for me...let's try to get this one to stick as is...

Where did you get your Japanese signature from? It's pretty strange!!

Plymouthbey
20-07-2005, 09:02 PM
div 1,2, div 3 north div 3 south div 4