PDA

View Full Version : Norwich ratings - anyone at the game please!

KevTheOptimist
13-08-2005, 05:01 PM
I think a point away is decent but interested to hear how we played from those at the game, you must be nearly home by now!!

The Canarie
13-08-2005, 05:02 PM
i could have told you, but the dumbarse ticket off stiffed me..

Nelson Muntz
13-08-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by The Canarie
i could have told you, but the dumbarse ticket off stiffed me..
You'd have been bias anyway. We want the honest picture of what happened from the 100% always tell the truth Palace fans. ;)

The Canarie
13-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Nelson Muntz
You'd have been bias anyway. We want the honest picture of what happened from the 100% always tell the truth Palace fans. ;)

i tell the truth, Im fed up with my team to be honest :hmph:

boxing francis
13-08-2005, 05:11 PM

Early days yet.

The Canarie
13-08-2005, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by boxing francis
Early days yet.

Spose so, But three draws in a row is boring :S:

forsells no1 fan
13-08-2005, 05:15 PM
Spose so, But three draws in a row is boring :S:

Its better than 2 defeats and a draw!

AJ
13-08-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by forsells no1 fan
Its better than 2 defeats and a draw!

debatable as Norwich have played 3 home games. Truth is that neither team has started as brightly as they expected.

number 1 canary
13-08-2005, 05:28 PM
i was at the game, and i thort crewe were better than you

look at him, he dives like Andy Johnson

BLUE BOY
13-08-2005, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by number 1 canary

look at him, he dives like Andy Johnson

Dont you mean Huckerby?

PalaceFan in Alabama
13-08-2005, 05:31 PM
From what I could understand from the carrot eater, we had a few new players :D

Kiraly,
Boyce,
Hall,
Ward,
Borrowdale,
Soares,
Leigertwood, I did not know that James was playing "Legalwood"
Watson,
Kolkka, So many names for one player
Johnson, when did Andy change his named to Gary
Macken.

Subs
Speroni,
Butterfield,
Hudson,
Popovic,
Andrews

Sorry, but the guy did make me laugh :p

If this was played in the US we would have gained an extra point for all the corners ;)

PalaceFan in Alabama
13-08-2005, 05:32 PM

Thort Crewe should be as they have more traffic than Selhurst or Norwood Junct. :p

orp pisshead1
13-08-2005, 05:33 PM

look at him, he dives like Andy Johnson :rolleyes:
thanks for that great insight to the game.

Mister Parks
13-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Why No McAnuff ??

Mad Max
13-08-2005, 05:49 PM
As well as the ratings,Macken went off injured?With what and how serious?

CPFC_DAVE77
13-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Mad Max
As well as the ratings,Macken went off injured?With what and how serious?

Bring on the Doug! :p

elgin eagle
13-08-2005, 06:01 PM

don't you mean thought?

inbred

gabor_the_great
13-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by PalaceFan in Alabama
From what I could understand from the carrot eater, we had a few new players :D

Kiraly,
Boyce,
Hall,
Ward,
Borrowdale,
Soares,
Leigertwood, I did not know that James was playing "Legalwood"
Watson,
Kolkka, So many names for one player
Johnson, when did Andy change his named to Gary
Macken.

Subs
Speroni,
Butterfield,
Hudson,
Popovic,
Andrews

Sorry, but the guy did make me laugh :p

If this was played in the US we would have gained an extra point for all the corners ;)

another one was
Ben watson - Ben Jonhson
Iain Dowie - iain Deury

obviosly not a palace fan

Stevecpfc767
13-08-2005, 06:13 PM
How can you forget Gawy Bowowdale? ;)

Chris K
13-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by orp pisshead1
:rolleyes:
thanks for that great insight to the game.

ah come on now, don't be too harsh, at least this one is able to write in some sort of capacity.

Malakite
13-08-2005, 06:19 PM
Hey guys, Skippymoo & myself back from the game (staying at parents house in Naaarwich!)..

Not gonna do every player as no-one seems to do that anymore BUT..............

As per usualy we concede early which is useless and we must not wait until being behind to start playing its not going to gai us promotion BUT I must say that when we started to play we looked fab!...Every player did themeselves justice...we looked a full outfit and for the the midfield outfought Naawich from the 5th min onwards....Dr Jakyel and Mr leighertwood was ACE..it was certianly the latter who turned up today he battled for everything..Watson was OK but I do think he still needs to practice his corners, having said that they were still loads better that Wayne's I must say!..

Ward looks comfortable at the back..very impressed with him...Macken played well whilst on and when he came off injured (not sure why though) Andrews came on and everyone was a little concerned..well I'll tell you one thing, he goes for everything and I reckon he is as fast as AJ no doubt about it....had a great shot about 10mins after coming on (Macken did too but for Green we would have hit the back of the net)..AJs goal was from a great build up and turn and his snap shot in the second half was sublime and but for Mr Green we could have won the game..the only worry was our defence does look slow and Norwich were very quick to counter and occasionally catch the line out...oh and also Huckerby was left on his own in acres of space on the left wing all afternoon whcih is a worry and I have no idea why Mr Dowie decided not to point this out to the players!...

The new standa at Norwich is nice and as always its a great day out here..good game, we could and perhaps should have shaded it but it was really entertaining and a draw id a better result for us than Norwich seeing as it was away from home!.....

Looking forward to next week!....:lux:

forsells no1 fan
13-08-2005, 06:21 PM
The commentator got well annoying

Junas Korker
Gawy Bowowdale
Legerwood

CPFC_DAVE77
13-08-2005, 06:28 PM
Thanks 'Malakite', sounds like we improved a lot then? :p :lux:

JohnA
13-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Thanks Malakite (& Skipymoo)

oz_da II
13-08-2005, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Malakite

Looking forward to next week!....:lux:

You've changed your tune.

toucaneagle
13-08-2005, 06:54 PM
Cheers Malakite - good review. Let's hope we can pick up from here....

The Canarie
13-08-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by BLUE BOY
Dont you mean Huckerby?

Huckerby does dive yes, and so does AJ but you lot wont admit it :eek:

gregors
13-08-2005, 07:09 PM
I thought it was a close game, either side could have won it. We were dreadful first 15 minutes, but deserved to be level half time. 2nd half we were on top but never really created enough chances. Ashton hit the post with one good effort but that was against the run of play totally. We had a lot of the ball but made only one or two half chances. Still half the side looked unfit and we are very far from top form. Andrews came on for Macken (who looked extremely unfit and seemed to pull a muscle in his leg) and he looked reasonable at times, worked hard, but his technique was dreadful and he never looked like scoring. We are crying out for a midfielder who can put his foot on the ball and play it to feet. We could do with Dougie back for starters instead of Andrews. But a reasonable point away from home but Norwich also looked short on confidence and were there for the taking. If we played a bit better and converted more possession/corners into chances we would have won.

Bobsta
13-08-2005, 07:20 PM

I dont think he ever dives. I think he uses his head and looks for 'em.

davematt
13-08-2005, 07:37 PM
What a great game between two side who will be playing back in the Premiership next year if they perform like this. The match was played at a phenomenal pace, and the quality of football was fantastic. A real advert for Championship football. It was more exciting than any Premiership game I saw last season. In the last two games, we have played in matches that belong in the Prem. Great performance and we got better as the game went on. Fitness levels still worrying (especially for Fitz, had nothing left after 80 mins) Here are my ratings...

Kiraly -8- Made two or three great saves, especially one from Ashton, clipping it onto the post. Couldn't do anything about the goal.

Boyce -6- Ripped to shreads by Huckerby, but got forward alot more and this is what we want to see from him.

Ward -7- Not as solid as Tuesday, but he got better as the game went on.

Hall -7- Awful positioning for the goal, but like Ward, he settled more and more as the game went on. Fitness levels are awful at present.

Borrowdale -8- Fantastic game for Gary, and Danny will struggle to get back in if he continues to play like this.

Leighterwood -9- MOTM absolutley outstanding. Was everywhere, and kept the midfield together in the first half. Getting better and better every game.

Watson -8- Poor first half, awesome second half. He ran the show in the final 30 minutes and is hitting form again

Soares -8- Solid performance from Tom. Still not the answer to our problems out wide, but he had a good game

Kollka -8- Impressive in the 2nd half especially. Was given a free role and Norwich players could not keep up with him when he got going. Surely back in Dowie's plans

AJ -9- Handful all afternoon and scored a great goal. Nearly scored a 2nd and was denied from Green with a wonder save. A slight hamstring strain at the end is worrying

Macken -7- Was not on for long, but nearly scored a sensational goal. Chesting a long ball forward and volleying first time with his left foot before Green clipped it round the post with a strong hand.

Subs:

Andrews -9- WOW! Replaced injured Macken and caused havoc. He is so strong and VERY quick. They could not handle him and he deserves a start against Plymouth. Well done Wayne :p

Butterfield -7- On for Kolkka to help Boyce with Huckerby. Did well and offered us a different option in midfield.

Well, we are starting to look like a top Championship outfit. We had 16 corners!!! If we can work on delivery and our approach to hurting teams from corners, we could be lethal, as we seem to be getting loads. AJ's celebration was legendry and shut the Norwich fans up!:lux:

Clapham Grand
13-08-2005, 07:40 PM
Here's my thoughts for what they're worth. Having not seen the Wolves game I can't comment if it was better than that but for me the performance was 100% improved on the Luton debacle.

After a shaky start we consistently looked to pass the ball, and the commitment in the 2nd half especially was superb!

Kiraly 7 - no chance whatsoever with Ashton's excellent volley, kept everything else at bay. Brilliant throw / kick to put Andrews in straight from his own area
Boyce 7 - gievn a hard time by Huckerby but stuck to his task well, and great cross for the goal
Hall 7 - solid as ever
Ward 6 - a point off for making almoust calamitous individual errors now and then but commanding in the air
Borrowdale 6 - solid, looked to get forward
Soares 7 - appaling start when he gave the ball away or couldn't cross, but continually linked up with Boyce well, indeed backheeling it for him to cross for the AJ goal, and got better as the game went on
Watson 7 - I can see why Dowie likes him. This kid can be a very good player in the years to come. Always looking for the ball, looking to pass, a very positive perfromance
Leigertwood 6 - committed as usual, but perhaps caught out once to often
Kollka 7 - after about half an hour he drifted more and more into the centre as an attacking midfielder, and this worked especially well in the 2nd half as he was often the link between Watson and Andrews / AJ - looking to put them in on goal. Disappointed to see him subbed as I thought that indicated we would settle for a draw
Macken 6 - too often pushed off the ball, but made up for that with some nice lay offs and a terrific left foot shot brilliantly saved by Green. Ironically it was that that tugged his hammy and he went off
Johnson 8 (MOM)- well he replied to the "No Diving" signs and the scorecars in the best way how. A sublime finish for the goal, always a threat. Moment of the match was his astounding half volley out of nothing that was again brilliantly saved by Green
Subs:
Andrews 7 - a revelati0on when he came on. He had pace and power wher Macken did not, and was utterly commited to every challlnege. Yes his first touch was sometimes poor, but he ca\zused the Norwich defence all sorts of problems. He appreciated the "Super Wayne" chants at the end!!
Butters 6 - linked up well with Boyce

I won't pretend we were brilliant as we again made a lot of individual errors. However I cannot emphasise enough how much the players wanted to win the game, and in the second half we largely dominated. We missed McAnuff and sometimes our intricate passing went a bit too far but overall a pleasing display.

Standing ovation for our team, Norwich fans booed theirs off. Final word, our fans were fantastic!

Henfield Eagle
13-08-2005, 07:42 PM
That sounds promising:lux:

Joey
13-08-2005, 07:43 PM
Just got back, and I would say:

Kiraly - 8 Great save vs. Mckenzie and seemed to catch everything.

Boyce - 6 OK, but he was knackered by the end.
Ward - 5 Great in the air, but almost cost us two goals.
Hall - 7 Great tackle on Huckerby, but his heading was a bit dodgy.
Borrowdale - 8 Very good game, not helped by Kolkka in front of him.

Soares - 6 Touch let him down.
Leggy - 9 (MOM) Fantastic. Didn't put a foot wrong, and before today, I really didn't rate him atall. In contrary to last season, his passing was much better.
Watson - 7.5 Excellent at times, his corners sometimes let him down a bit.
Kolkka - 5. Looked good going forward, but kept drifting inside meaning we had little width. He seriously lacked in tracking back and defending. We missed McAnuff.

AJ - 8. Well taken goal, and a great shot from an acute angle.
Macken -5. Not much time, decent shot.

Subs:
Butts - 6 Not really much to do.
Andrews - 8. I couldn't believe my eyes, Andrews playing well! Apart from his first touch, he was excellent. The team seemed to play better once he came on.

Ref - 8. Our best so far by far. Seemed pretty fair.

Dowie - 9. Noticed that Kolkka wasn't defending well on the flank so brought on a defence minded player in Butterfield.

Palace fans - 10. My first ever away game, and it will now be one of many. 'You lost your bottle, 6-0' was a personal favourite.

Overall, we played well, and deserved a win. Leggy was very, very good, as was Andrews. At times we sat back too much, and Huckerby and Ashton looked very dangerous. Watson could be very good this season, he looked to play the shorter and simpler passes much more, and better. Dissapointed with Kolkka, and we definitely missed McAnuff.

Very promising, and we deserved 3 points.

BRING ON PLYMOUTH!

David
13-08-2005, 07:49 PM
Just back from Norwich.

We played well and probably could have won the game.

Wayne Andrews was outstanding. He changed the whole game when he came on.

Leigertwood had a great game.

AJ nearly scored a wonder goal but Green made a great save.

Velocity
13-08-2005, 07:56 PM
What position was Kolkka/Butterfield playing?

silver
13-08-2005, 07:59 PM
nice to see thank you all

JohnA
13-08-2005, 08:01 PM

Maybe I am bised but - no he's a nice young man & woouldn't do anything so bad

Neil 154
13-08-2005, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by David

Can you repeat that please? I don't think I quite heard right?!!

Eagle Andy
13-08-2005, 08:02 PM
Just got back to Nottingham.

Good game. Palace looked awlful in the first 30 minutes then came back into it. The second half Palace dominated. Norwich looked threatening when they broke with Huckerby, McKenzie and Ashton but Palace had so many corners and possession. Draw fair result but Palace could have won it.

Kiraly 7 - couldn't be at fault for the goal. Distribution was very good today
Boyce 7 - had a tough time against Huckerby and thankfully won't come up against players like that every week.
Ward 7 - early mistake when he lost the ball dribbling out of defense could have been costly. I thought he was a more sensible player than thta. Hopefully he learnt!
Hall 7 - sold as usual, the defense looked much more comfortable than the previous 2 games
Borrowdale 7 - looked good today and made good use of the ball
Soares 7 - better than previous 2 games and attacked more
Leigertwood 8 - gets better every game, I no longer groan when I see his name on the teamsheet, does a lot of work for the team and was attacking well today, if he could shoot he might get a goal
Watson - another solid performance,
Kolkka 7 - got involved, played well
Macken 7 - looked ok and made some decent runs before he went off, could have scored, he needs a goal
AJ 8 - another goal, few decent runs and superb celebration

Subs:
Andrews 7 - best I've seen him, looked a threat, battled hard, caused them problems. Didn't link up with AJ but did with the midfield
Butts 7 - did well when he came on, got involved, not easy to do when you have 15 minutes after so long out, great to see him back

Dowie - the team looked as though they lacked confidence and organisation in the first half hour. But it all turned around after the break

Palace fans - vocal and some good chants. Cheered the lads off at the end

Norwich fans - very noisy for a home crown, they obviously put the singers in one corner. Thought it was so considerate of them to greet AJ in that way, 5.9 signs, no diving, shallow end, I even saw some AJ no diving t-shirts. But to boo your team after 3 games when they have got a decent draw against one of the Championship favourites is disgraceful.

Ref - ok for once but didn't seem consistent on the cards

mark@liznmark.f
13-08-2005, 08:08 PM
solid game by most but crying out for central midfielder to put footon ball ,just my view, and at one stage we had three defenders ,and a keeper as sub need a few more options.

adrenalin john
13-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Well, it was certainly an entertaining and very open game.

Kiraly 8 excellent saves, excellent handling fluent distribution

Boyce 5 Had a torrid time against Cheaterby, and as is often the case simply could not deliver a quality ball when going forward. He certainly is yet to recapture last seasons form

Ward 5 I am still to be convinced, good in the air, prepared to get stuck in but neither fleet of brain or foot.

Hall 5 I am a big fan of Hall but he too is far from his imperious best, Ashton outplayed him today

Borrowdale 7 solid performance, with at times very little support from Koolka

Soares 7 looked threatening, skilfull and strong, still a bit green but had a good game today

Koolka 6 some good movement and touches on the Ball, but a total liability defensively

Leggy 8 very very powerful performance Liam Brady he isn't Edgar Davids he could yet become

Watson 7 another high energy performer, tried to pass effectively and showed no little skill

Macken 5 one great take and shot, didn't show much else and doesn't show enough workrate for me. Injury liability?

Wayne Andrews 10 Football comedy genius, really worked hard and showed some great pace, muscle and movement not sure he ever managed to get the ball under control in the entire time he was on the pitch though. Not a footballer but by jove one hell of a trier

AJ 8 great goal produced the moment of the match with a fabulous volley from an impossible angle which drew a top drawer save out of Green. Is he carrying a knock or strain? Not sure he is covering the same amount of ground as last season
Fantastic goal celebration

Butters 6 good to see him back has a good touch and understanding of the game.

Crowd were good, I also thought the Norwich fans were well humoured

rabh
13-08-2005, 08:20 PM
what was aj's celebration?

Palaceboy222
13-08-2005, 08:23 PM
Kiraly - 8
Boyce - 6
Hall - 7
Ward - 8
Borrowdale - 7
Soares - 7.5
Leigertwood - 8
Watson - 8
Kolkka - 6 didnt track back at all
Johnson - 8
Macken - 6

Andrews - 7.5
Butters - 7

Braders
13-08-2005, 08:29 PM
Thought we played really well and have come away happy with the performance, although disappointed that we didn't get the win.

Leigertwood today has his best game for us I felt, as did Andrews. Again Macken looked good, nothing more nothing less. His touches were nice and his chance just before he went off was great to watch. Although I still get the feeling he is too much like Freedman.

Boycey had his work cut out against a very good Huckerby. The Ward and Hall partnership is still developing but did well against (IMO) the best attacking side in the league. Borrowdale looked like a more confident and able left back but the amount of space Marney had at times was a bit worrying. Kiraly was at his brilliant self never putting a foot wrong.

Kolkka played OK, looked bright but never really stuck out. Same with Soares (NOT A WINGER ;)) but Leigertwood as I said impressed me today and looked very able with Watson who again looks like an improving player. We need Mcanuff on the wing with Kolkka I feel, to really give our midfield the balance it needs.

All in all, very happy with how we played against a very strong Norwich side in their own back yard.

The Vicar
13-08-2005, 08:35 PM

BTW, thanks for giving AJ an extra incentive to score today with all those silly card thingys...:D

Basingstoke Eagle
13-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Just back,played good football with a bit of bite & some passion.Conceded a poor goal again,lightweight challenge from Watson & poor marking through the middle,but then seemed to get into gear & at times out-footballed Norwich.Andrews has found his level & looked dangerous at times,though im sure Freedman will be back when fit,& if it wasnt for Green we would have won it.

Archiebald Leitch
13-08-2005, 08:46 PM
I thought that the following had their best game in a Palace shirt:

Borrowdale
Leggy
Andrews

Andrews was amazing with his speed and strength and with a bit more composure could have scored the winner.

Overall I think we played very well but do need to work on our corners - we must have had nigh on 15 corners and never really looked threatening from one of them. Although Narwich looked dangerous when they attacked, they did not attack very often for a home team and we were certainly the better team.

I enjoyed the game and disagree completely with the chap who rang Talkshite and said this was two relegated teams, not very good etc etc.

Play like that every week and we will be thereabouts come next May.

Archiebald Leitch
13-08-2005, 08:54 PM
..and a mention for Kolkka - he was always a threat too..

sunshine lucas
13-08-2005, 08:56 PM
not bad without Doog, Danny G, Aki and Hughsie

ozeagle
13-08-2005, 08:58 PM
nice to see Palace play once again, all played well, back mob looked a bit complacent, but in the end did the job, can't believe how shit a footballer, huckerby is, no need for boyce to stand within 10m of him.

nice also to see our midfield bereft of a certain finnish hack.

any wonder we looked attacking, and half decent.

GreatGonzo
13-08-2005, 09:00 PM
Kiraly - 8 - can't be blamed for the goal, had a good game and good distribution.

Boyce - 6 - Lost his pace and that means he loses his advantage over Butterfield who can pass.
Ward - 7 - At times he looked premiership, others CCC, couple could have cost us but overall pretty good.
Hall - 7 - Not bad alongside Ward, his long throws give us an extra option!
Borrowdale - 7 - Improving every game, still not up to Danny but not far off, needs to keep his place to develop!

Soares - 6 - Probably his best performance out there but still no winger, we have no balance in the side with him there.
Watson - 8 - We need a player who can put his foot on the ball? He did it all game long, his performance just got better!
Leigertwood - 9 - This guy is just superb, if he had scored one of his chance it would have been 10. Great tackling, Great passing, allways trying to be available! Soares the next Vieria? think they confused him with Leggy!
Kollka - 6 - Why does dowie not start him on the wing? Well think we found out today, no positioning, linked up play ok but was largely unnoticable! Champions League - You'rte having a laugh based on today!

Macken - 6 - Not looking fully fit yet but from a 4 and 5 he is steadilly improving, definately a better option than Andrews as he looks like he can score!

AJ - 8 - Typical AJ performance and a great goal

Subs:
Andrews - 7 - (10 for effort, 4 for ability) Can't fault the guy for effort but he never looked like scoring! Woudl be a very worthwhile experiment to play him on the wing, certainly looks like he could offer more than either Soares of Kollka out wide!

Butterfield - 6 - still needs to get his fitness there but he showed he can still pass the ball well, should IMHO replace Boyce at RB next week!

gcwhite
13-08-2005, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by ozeagle

Change the record.

rhiannapaul
13-08-2005, 09:03 PM
well some different opinions on here a away point against a team already with 2 home draws doesn,t fill me with hope to be champions looks like a long hard seasons hope macken and AJ aint hurt to bad

Gooders
13-08-2005, 09:05 PM
can't believe how shit a footballer, huckerby is, no need for boyce to stand within 10m of him.

I think that's probably the trick. If you don't go near him he can't fall over - and it is about all he does.

Sandowneagle
13-08-2005, 09:09 PM
My views - shite first 10mins again, gradually we took control and should have gone on and won the game. Dean Ashton is one hell of a player and hence my MOM for the 2nd game on the trot was Ward. Other strong performances
- Mikele L and Ben W. ML hounded the Norwich midfield into submission and allowed Watson to play football.
- Johnny M and Wayne A. Both direct today, didn't stop working and looked to shoot on every occasion. Wayne lacks the first touch of JM and doesn't have the vision of him but he was a handful today. I hope fans will have an open mind with 3 homes games now.

zonin2000
13-08-2005, 09:13 PM
What was AJ's celebration?

Son of Selhurst
13-08-2005, 09:20 PM

Palace 1st
Norwich 2nd

Playoffs... who cares

Trust me

I.Flyer
13-08-2005, 09:23 PM
I don't like us going a goal down so early but in a funny way it seemed to get the team playing some nice football. I found it to be an exciting and entertaining afternoon.

I was very pleased to hear Wayne Andrews's name being sung. It will give him some much needed confidence and at this point can only be good for the team as a whole.

I couldn't wait to read the ratings and am glad so many shared my views. On the way home we were listening to BBC Norfolk and the Norwich fans were saying what a dreadful game it was and neither team looked likely to push for promotion on that showing. I tell you what! -some of those Norwich fans who phoned in, as well as the presenter, could give the Spurs whingers a run for their money.

I, on the other hand, went home feeling quite happy and cautiously optimistic about the rest of the season.

GreatGonzo
13-08-2005, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by rhiannapaul
well some different opinions on here a away point against a team already with 2 home draws doesn,t fill me with hope to be champions looks like a long hard seasons hope macken and AJ aint hurt to bad

Actually form the looks of things, we are starting to work well together, players are getting better and better.

Very soon we could really really hurt someone in this division, depending on who recovers, it could even be Plymouth. On 1st 3 games performances i would be inclined to play (if all fit)

----------------Kiraly----------------
Butterfield---Hall----Ward---Borrowdale
Andrews-Leigertwood-Watson--McAnuff
--------------AJ----Macken-----------

Would be VERY VERY dangerous if we can get that team ouyt and playing/improving as they have been.

RDSdaEAGLE
13-08-2005, 09:28 PM
Just got back.

Firstly, what a pleasure it is to go to Norwich. So easy to get a train there and back, great pubs to drink in beforehand and always a good atmosphere. I've been there three times now, and have loved it every time. Was also brilliant to see so many BBSers.

On the playing front...

Kiraly - Perhaps its a bit rich to say that he had nothing to do. Whilst I felt the defence looked shaky at times, Gabor didn't really have many saves to make. The goal we conceeded was class and there was little Kiraly could do about it.

Boyce - Struggled against Huckerby, especially for pace. However, all those who say he's useless going forward, he looked a threat down the right hand side and his great cross created AJ's goal. A few more games under his belt will see him performing at a more consistent pace. It was his side that the most trouble came from.

Ward - Colossus in the air, he really didn't let anything past him. Dealt with McKenzie (Shhhhh) reasonably well, especially when the ungrateful sh!t was backing into Wardy.

Hall - Perhaps not his most brilliant game, but Ashton is a difficult player to deal with. Didn't have any problems when side to side with Ashton, but struggled when he ran at him. Ashton had a number of chances when there was a big gap inbetween the midfield and defence...but that was closed down a bit more when Butterfield came on.

Borrowdale - He had a good game, but I do think we miss Granville. Just can't always seem to get the tackle in before the winger gets the cross in, however, some of his challenges were crucial and for that he deserves a good review.

Kolkka - A constant threat, if a bit ignored again. Cut inside alot more and created a few reasonable chances. Whether he's likely to play every week is still questionable, and I think it depends on Jobi's fitness rather than out-playing Soares.

Watson - A great performance, he seemed our outlet and was very composed. Could have released it a bit earlier, but really profited from having a defensive midfielder playing alongside him. Needs to practice his corners.

Leigertwood - One of his best games yet, didn't try anything fancy, but made short, sharp, accurate passes and made Watsons job so much easier. His strength is his best asset and he really made things difficult for Safri and Huckerby.

Soares - Hmm. I don't think he played poorly, in fact his quick thinking allowed Boyce to cross the ball in for the goal. He also floated a beautiful ball to Macken (unfortunately the one which Macken pulled his muscle from) and did well later on in the match when Norwich were going for the aerial route.

Macken - Unfortunate to get injured but impressive. He doesn't have the pace of AJ but he's quicker thinking and is perhaps more technical. He made a great chance for himself from Soares' cross and was unlucky to get injured.

AJ - Brilliantly taken goal and a great celebration to rub salt into the inbred's wounds. Norwich's defence dealt with him well though, and he was kept reasonably quiet for the rest of the match. A stinging shot at the end would have been the perfect ending to the game, but Green did brilliantly to turn it over the bar.

Subs-

Andrews - Wow. He's not had a fair assessment on here, and today he showed why. His pace caused problems and he actually linked up really well with AJ. He did actually have two chances to score, one of which went narrowly wide. I don't think I'd consider starting him just yet, but he really showed us what he could do and the travelling support rightfully sang his name by the end of the game.

Butterfield - He didn't get much time to play, but for his short appearance he helped shore up the midfield and provided Boyce with some much needed support.

All in all a good performance and alot of positives to build on. Negatives? Well, our bench was made up of 3 defenders, a keeper and a forward. Not exactly a great variety. Secondly, we still look a little bit nervous in defence. Watson's starting to lay some roots into his midfield role but needs to work on his set pieces. We had loads today and didn't utilise the opportunities they provided at all.

Braders
13-08-2005, 09:35 PM
Great post, spot on.

Tony Montana
13-08-2005, 09:37 PM
Support - 1

1st division team, 1st division support.

Used to be a great atmosphere at norwich, appears as if it has been hijacked by the sit down, be quiet, applaud gently brigade. :veryangry

RDSdaEAGLE
13-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Tony Montana
Support - 1

Used to be a great atmosphere at norwich, appears as if it has been hijacked by the sit down, be quiet, applaud gently brigade. :veryangry

We were alot louder in the second half, I think the early goal really shut us up for much of the first.

But the problem is that a game like this will never really inspire. Last season was one of real hope, whereas this season is (seemingly to some fans) a necessity rather than a pleasure.

EddieEdwards
13-08-2005, 09:44 PM
Got back from holiday yesterday so this was the first match I've seen this season. The game itself was very exciting but both teams are going to have to defend better and give the ball away less if they want to have any chance of getting back to the Prem.

I was convinced that Macken was going to be a bit of a donkey but was very pleasantly surprised - he looked as though he had a lot to offer and it was a great shame he had to come off.

I was less happy with Ward - thought he was ok in the air and on the ball, but his marking and positioning allowed Norwich to carve us open numerous times. He improved in the second half, though.

Andrews was great. Funny to watch sometimes as he never quite seems to have the ball under control, but he contributed a lot. Had one great effort that went just wide and might have grabbed the winner if AJ had slipped the ball sideways to him instead of shooting at a defender.

I thought Boyce looked less secure today than he ever did in the Prem. He really struggled to cope with Huckerby in the second half.

Leigertwood's passing was much improved. Still can't shoot, though.

Kolkka had an ok game but failed to provide much inspiration. We lacked creativity in wide positions today. Looking forward to seeing McAnuff in action.

We needed a win badly because of our crap start but a point at Norwich is not at all a bad result.

Leap of faith
13-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Considering we had 5 good players missing today, the squad seems to be coping well.

fwied wice
13-08-2005, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Sandowneagle
My views - shite first 10mins again, gradually we took control and should have gone on and won the game. Dean Ashton is one hell of a player and hence my MOM for the 2nd game on the trot was Ward. Other strong performances
- Mikele L and Ben W. ML hounded the Norwich midfield into submission and allowed Watson to play football.
- Johnny M and Wayne A. Both direct today, didn't stop working and looked to shoot on every occasion. Wayne lacks the first touch of JM and doesn't have the vision of him but he was a handful today. I hope fans will have an open mind with 3 homes games now.

Thats all pretty spot on!

Clapham Grand
13-08-2005, 10:04 PM

:S: :hmph:

Benzhiyi
13-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Kiraly - 8. Solid as ever
Borrowdale - 7. Grew in stature as the game progressed
Ward - 7. Battled hard against Ashton
Hall - 7. Poor distribution, good otherwise
Boyce - 7. Not as good as last season, but getting there
Soares - 7. Not a winger, but did okay
Watson - 7. Nightmare half haour, excellent after that
Leigertwood - 8 (MOM). Best game in a Palace shirt. Tenacious, committed, great display
Kolkka - 7. Cannot defend at all, but lively coming forward
Johnson - 8. Ran and ran and ran (and ran)
Macken - 6. Some pleasant little touches, and one great effort on goal
Andrews - 8. Changed the game. As Stav called him, "A One Man Army"!
Butterfield - 7. Added width and shackled Huckerby late on

GreatGonzo
13-08-2005, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Tony Montana
Support - 1

Wasn't a bad support, abouthe same as wolves but may heve depended on where you were.

trouble is the old stand at Norwich muliplied the effect a lot more than the current stand. Thought the support was ok.

Hadham Eagle
13-08-2005, 10:30 PM
Gonzo and RDS I'm with you 100 percent on your ratings..I was there too..thought about it on the way home.and I make you right.

Andrews for me as a surprise..to be honest, I was impressed with his efforts today, shame about the Macken injury which looked like a hamstring jobbie..fella next to me seemed to think AJ was possibly feeling a tight hamstring after the game was over...anyone else see that??

Better stuff for sure...2 home games now and we must take advantage of them

follow cpfc
13-08-2005, 10:35 PM
Got back a few hours ago from Carrow Road and can i just say Leggy and Andrews well played:lux:

Brett
13-08-2005, 10:56 PM
I'm sorry but Hall was crap. Lost Ashton every time, goes walkabouts and makes at least 3 monumental -ups in every game.

How he's got everyone hoodwinked is beyond me.

saul1664
13-08-2005, 11:01 PM
looks stylish I think, possibly in a mullins sort of way

Benzhiyi
13-08-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Brett
I'm sorry but Hall was crap. Lost Ashton every time, goes walkabouts and makes at least 3 monumental -ups in every game.

How he's got everyone hoodwinked is beyond me.

Funny you should say that - I think he was good today but did say almost the same thing to Nookie at half time, given that he cost us the first goal. (Hall, that is, not Nookie, though his post-game marking of Riccardo left much to be desired.)

I rate Fitz, but unlike Dowie don't think he should have a God-given right to be in the side. Be interesting to see whether Poppa gets a chance if he ever suffers a dip in form. I doubt it somehow.

follow cpfc
13-08-2005, 11:08 PM
Leggy reminded me of Mullins

Brett
13-08-2005, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Benzhiyi
Funny you should say that - I think he was good today but did say almost the same thing to Nookie at half time, given that he cost us the first goal. (Hall, that is, not Nookie, though his post-game marking of Riccardo left much to be desired.)

I rate Fitz, but unlike Dowie don't think he should have a God-given right to be in the side. Be interesting to see whether Poppa gets a chance if he ever suffers a dip in form. I doubt it somehow.

Hall's got a lot of potential and I think his constant erring is a result of being ID's most favourite player. He knows he won't be dropped.

I can't believe how many lapses in concentration he has in each game. Sooner or later it was going to cost us a goal and it did today. However, it was one helluva finish from Ashton - I wish we had him. :(

Malakite
13-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Hadham Eagle
fella next to me seemed to think AJ was possibly feeling a tight hamstring after the game was over...anyone else see that??

Yes I saw that..he seemed to be holding his left hammie..fingers crossed its nothing serious..he only seemed to do it at the end of the game!

Malakite
13-08-2005, 11:23 PM
nice to see Palace play once again, all played well, back mob looked a bit complacent, but in the end did the job, can't believe how shit a footballer, huckerby is, no need for boyce to stand within 10m of him.

any wonder we looked attacking, and half decent.

Great to see you skillos....so where are you staying darn sarf and t'mo then? How you get t'net connection?!

Malakite
13-08-2005, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
Just got back.

Hey lad did you not Latvian DID end up missing his train?!..Is he back yet do you knOURGH? ;)

Did you get my vid text?

RDSdaEAGLE
13-08-2005, 11:27 PM
Latvian missed his train but they managed to talk their way round the ticket guard on a later train :D They got back about half an hour after us, so not bad going.

Didn't get your txt mate :(

RDSdaEAGLE
13-08-2005, 11:42 PM
Johnson earns due reward
taken from http://football.guardian.co.uk/Observer_Match_Report/0,3740,1548992,00.html

Norwich Cty 1 - 1 Crystal Palace

Stuart Barnes at Carrow Road
Sunday August 14, 2005
The Observer

Dean Ashton and Andy Johnson 'exchanged' classic centre-forward goals in a manner that suggested both will have a major impact on the Championship scoring charts this season. Whether, as many have also predicted, they will fire their teams back into the Premiership at the first attempt may not become such a clear-cut issue as the new campaign begins to take shape.

Granted we are only a week and three games into it. But few would have suggested that Norwich and Crystal Palace would still be scratching around for their first victory after the way they battled to preserve top-flight status a few months ago.

Nigel Worthington's side, despite home advantage in all three, have been held by the same scoreline each time. With several new faces, they have yet to knit together with any degree of consistency. Palace claimed their first point here and on that basis alone will be the more satisfied.

It was also well deserved and they could feel, with some justification, that their command of the first half merited something more. Robert Green was much the busier goalkeeper, although Norwich played with greater fluency after the interval when Ashton was denied a second by the woodwork.

'The expectancy is there and we have to live with it,' said Worthington. 'We are in a dog-fight every game. That is what the Championship is all about. It's up to us to have the mental strength to take into the next match and to improve on some of our decision-making.'

'Our performances have improved with each game,' said Palace assistant manager Neil McDonald. 'Sometimes it takes a little time to adjust after Premiership football. None of the three teams who came down have set the division alight so far.'

Both felt a draw was a fair outcome of a rousing match lacking nothing in entertainment 'It had everything - quality, mistakes, end-to-end play,' added Worthington.

If the corner count had any influence on the result, Palace would have been sitting pretty by half-time, winning eight to Norwich's none. Instead, they were behind after six minutes. Andy Hughes, one of the Norwich newcomers, floated the ball deep into the penalty box and Ashton, without breaking stride, volleyed into the roof of the net with great power.

Ashton drove a yard wide after gliding past two men and also set up another chance by nodding Dean Marney's deep cross into the middle for Leon McKenzie, whose header was saved comfortably by Gabor Kiraly.

But Palace's pressure was, at time, intense, with Tom Soares exerting a considerable influence in midfield. Green saved one-handed from Jon Macken, who also put a difficult angled chance into the side netting.

Their reward came four minutes from the break when Emmerson Boyce, after more good work by Soares, delivered low from the right flank and Johnson's anticipation and finish were exemplary.

Kiraly's first serious save came from Darren Huckerby after a link-up with McKenzie. He knew little about Ashton's shot from the edge of the penalty box that rebounded from the post, but Palace remained a threat. Substitute Wayne Andrews was a yard wide from an angle, and Norwich were indebted to skipper Craig Fleming's block on Johnson, who looked a certain scorer when an Andrews centre fell loose eight yards out.

Johnson then almost had the final say, driving forward and releasing a shot tipped over in fine style by Green. 'No way are we a one-man team,' said McDonald. 'We have other players in the team who can score goals. But give Andy a chance and he will stick it in. That's why he is an England player. It's particularly satisfying when a centre-forward takes some stick from the crowd and puts one away.'

I highlighted the parts I found the most interesting. Soares' influence being considerable and Andrews hitting wide by a yard and creating a chance for AJ.

GreatGonzo
14-08-2005, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
Ashton, without breaking stride, volleyed into the roof of the net with great power.

An accurate description of their goal?

Without breaking stride he guided the ball would probably have been slightly more accurate. All the pace was on the cross, and it was hardly a volley as you would traditionally think of one!

PalaceFan in Alabama
14-08-2005, 12:57 AM
Well it looks as if I will have to eat a little humble pie after my comments about Andrews in the latter part of last season and what I saw of him in Germany.

Velocity
14-08-2005, 01:56 AM
It's only one match..

PalaceFan in Alabama
14-08-2005, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by Velocity
It's only one match..

Maybe, but I never thought he was capable of what he achieved today.

mexicaneagle
14-08-2005, 04:18 AM
Great to hear the fans getting behind Andrews.

I too made jokes in the last two games when he came on, and did so again today.

I have eaten my words with pleasure. We may have another striker here.

oz_da II
14-08-2005, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by mexicaneagle
Great to hear the fans getting behind Andrews.

I too made jokes in the last two games when he came on, and did so again today.

I have eaten my words with pleasure. We may have another striker here.

I agree.

Seems to me that many "fans" need to have one particular "scapegoat" to give a booting to every year.

Austin, Harrison, Gray, Routledge and looks like Andrews is the one for this season

RickyB
14-08-2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by adrenalin john

Wayne Andrews 10 Football comedy genius. Love it! That's going on my sig :)

Benzhiyi
14-08-2005, 12:01 PM
One thing I forgot to mention about yesterday:

It was the best football match I've seen since Sunderland at home in the Play-offs, season before last. Non-stop, end to end, lots of quality, lots of mistakes, just a really exciting game. Utterly enthralling stuff. The Premiership can have its Rooneys and Henrys, but you rarely see games as electric as this.

Norwich vs Crystal Palace - 10.

Sussex Eagle
14-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Was a good larf this one, we veered between the pits and some really nice stuff, and the result was about fair.

Kiraly - 7 - Standard performance from Gabor.
Boyce - 4 - Well off the pace at the moment, but I trust the form will return
Hall - 6 - Was at least partially responsible for some horrendous stuff & a gaping hole in the defence early on, but was good when he was in the right place.
Ward - 5 - Once comedy mistake, but generally not too bad. Definately preferable to Hudson.
Borrowdale - 6 - Some good work, but I still have zero confidence in him.
Soares - 6 - Decent performance, lot of energy and some surging runs.
Watson - 5 - Continues to fail to convince me, makes me pine for the full-on total commitment of Aki.
Leigertwood - 5 - Someone said he was the best player on the pitch in the pub after, god knows what for. (Judging by page 3 I'm guessing it was Gonzo, that explains it!) Edit - Actually, everyone seems to be prasing him, guess I must have missed something, as usually I'm one of his bigger fans.
Kolkka - 7 - Excellent in the second half, a class apart from his colleagues technically.
Johnson - 7 - Can't fault him, was super every time he got involved, but was perhaps a little less involved than you'd expect.
Macken - 4 - One good effort, generally very unconvincing.

Andrews - 7 - Still has zero natural ability and the touch of a rhino, but his energy clearly got the team going after that awful start. I'll be a little easier on the schmuck after that performance.
Butterfield - 4 - Nothing he did went anywhere, disappointing.

Sussex Eagle
14-08-2005, 12:24 PM
Reading through this I think some of you are being incredibly generous considering how bad we were early on.

GreatGonzo
14-08-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Sussex Eagle
Leigertwood - 5 - Someone said he was the best player on the pitch in the pub after, god knows what for. (Judging by page 3 I'm guessing it was Gonzo, that explains it!)

You probably got that right cos i certainly did say that in the pub.

Gooders
14-08-2005, 02:01 PM
Reading through this I think some of you are being incredibly generous considering how bad we were early on.

Reading through this I think some of you must stand with your back to the game for more than half of it.

I.Flyer
14-08-2005, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Benzhiyi
One thing I forgot to mention about yesterday:

It was the best football match I've seen since Sunderland at home in the Play-offs, season before last. Non-stop, end to end, lots of quality, lots of mistakes, just a really exciting game. Utterly enthralling stuff. The Premiership can have it's Rooneys and Henrys, but you rarely see games as electric as this.

Norwich vs Crystal Palace - 10.

I totally agree with you Ben. A completely entertaining game and if only Robert Green hadn't made that fantastic save it would have been "A Perfect Day" ;)

GreatGonzo
14-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Same as the middle part of the match against Wolves, against the other 2 pre season favourites have been very entertaining to watch!

andywilliams
14-08-2005, 02:45 PM
terrific game with great away suport,
amazing goal celebration by AJ
but how did you all get there, we drove up leaving Purley about 9.0 and only saw 2 cars with palace on board and no coaches, saw even less on the way back but that could have a lot to do with the appaling weather.Nice new stand as well with a totally brilliant view

Mark Gardiner
14-08-2005, 02:55 PM
First up I reckon yesterday's game was one of the best matches I've seen between two equally-matched teams involving Palace for years. Apart from Palace taking the usual 10 minutes to wake up, it was impossible to guess what the result could be. Both teams attacked ceaselessly, defences were worked overtime, midfield players made great attacking runs. Both teams deserve praise for their attitudes; 32 shots on goal between them. Travelling back the last such game I can recall was 2-2 at Burnden Park against Bolton in the mid-1990s. Thoroughly entertaining!

Kiraly - 7 - A couple of high-class saves and infallible under the high ball. No chance with either Ashton's excellent finish for the goal or the hammered shot that struck the post. Kicking and throwing was better as well.

Boyce - 7 - Marlene looked good going forward, with an excellent cross for AJ's goal, but found Huckerby a real handfull as the game went on. Didn't give up and fought on until full time, still making great overlapping runs.

Borrowdale - 7 - Lower profile than his colleague on the opposite flank, partly because he wasn't as notable supporting the attack, and Norwich tended to push everything down their left. Did nothing wrong & a good deal that was right.

Ward - 6 - Looked a very capable Division 2 (old money, kids!) centre back. Twice dallied on the ball on the edge of our box and was dispossesed, lucky not to concede. Posed more potential threat from our 16 corners than actual.

Hall - 7 - Had a rough time against Ashton but couldn't be blamed for the goal which was the result of an excellent cross. Didn't give the ball away as often as usual.

Leigertwood - 8 - Humble Pie time #1 Mikele was excellent, winning the ball, making some great runs and his passing was far more up to the mark. His best performance for Palace to date. One blemish for their goal (see below) If only his shooting from distance was better...

Watson - 7 - Both Leigertwood & Watson were caught cold for Norwich's goal, which should have been closed down in a 2-on-1 situation, but they let their opponent win the ball & put in a great cross. Otherwise a far better game from Ben with some dangerous through balls, some of which actually found a red & blue shirt! Just shaded by his midfield partner. Corners are a problem - we had 16 and rarely looked like causing any real trouble.

Kolkka - 6 - Again drifted into & out of the game, often found moving infield where he posed greater danger, but this resulted in our left flank not being as productive in attacks as the right. Team did look better balanced.

Soares - 8 - Humble Pie #2 Well if Tom plays like this out of position, God help the opposition when he's played in the right! Some great runs, good passing and tackling, it was his interception that fed Boyce for our equaliser. Also didn't look out of place when late on switched to the left.

Macken - 6 - Was starting to look the part, forcing a good save from Green, when his hamstring tightened.

Johnson - 7 - Always dangerous, deserved his well-taken goal, and forced Green to a good late save from a tight angle. I though Ashton had a marginally better game but AJ will do for me.

Andrews - 7 - Humble Pie #3 now we know what Dowie sees in Wayne, he even had a song sung for him! Fast & direct, never gave up, and it was his chasing of a long through ball and robbing Green that ultimately led to the goal. Needs to show more composure when in the area; if he had Palace might have won.

Butterfield - 6 - Came on to play right midfield, possibly to help Marlene close down Huckerby, and looked comfortable, involved in some good late attacks.

Walrus
14-08-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by David
Just back from Norwich.

Such words are unspeakable in some corners of the BBS.

:p Wayne

AndyStreet
14-08-2005, 02:59 PM
Leigertwood - 5 - Someone said he was the best player on the pitch in the pub after, god knows what for. (Judging by page 3 I'm guessing it was Gonzo, that explains it!) Edit - Actually, everyone seems to be prasing him, guess I must have missed something, as usually I'm one of his bigger fans.

He was more composed on the ball than usual, powerful in the tackle, did stirling defensive work and his passing was excellent throughout. He gave it short when he had to, played some excellent long balls when he had to, and only made one mistake that I can remember (when he was dispossessed by Ashton I think in our half). He even offered a bustling attacking outlet at times and played one excellent one two with AJ that another day could have led to a goal. His long range shooting still leaves a lot to be desired but it was one of the best performances I've seen him put in for Palace.

cpfc_spc1982
14-08-2005, 03:03 PM
kiraly made one or two good saves and held onto a few shots well, coudlnt do nothing with ashtons goal
boyce defensively was beaten inside and outside utterly clueless. on the ball at times he was a shockingly bad, but actually set up the goal so fair play for that.
borrowdale avergae
ward steady apart from one moment where he tried to do too much.
hall he manages to head a alot of balls backwards when going for headers. some bad positioning/concentration and casual approach at times.
kolkka poor
soares worked hard but cud have had the beating of charlton for fun if he knew how to take on a man.
watson some moments of real footballing ability. worked hard ever improving.
leigertwood learning the role more and not getting caught on the ball so much, long way to go but progress.
aj nice finish and one good shot saved my green had a few blocked.
macken not a bad effort on goal but still didnt offer much whilst on.
andrews endeared himself to the fans with non stop runnin and effort and gave defenders no time on the ball. vital moments though quality was just not there.

AndyStreet
14-08-2005, 03:23 PM
Kiraly - 7 - Commanded his box well.
Borrowdale - 4 - Skinned frequently by Marney. Didn't stop any crosses from coming in, demonstrated poor positional play and didn't read the game particularly well. Shockingly it will be a relief to get Granville back in the side.
Hall - 5 - Lost his man for their goal and had the customary losses in concentration that he really must cut out of his game if he truly aspires to be a Premiership footballer. He read the game fairly well and got in some important challenges, but until he cuts out the inconsistencies in his game we'll leak a few more goals.
Ward - 6 - Good in the air and strong in the tackle. Appeared to read the game fairly well, and offered a dangerous option at set-pieces. His distribution needs a lot of work though.
Boyce - 5 - Still not match fit, Huckerby getting the better of him all too often. That said he proved the assertion that he's inept going forward to be a fallacy with a smart run and assist for AJ.
Kolkka - 7 - Great going forward, poor defensively. Same story as ever for the technically gifted Finn. Must be given a sustained run in the team in spite of his defensive frailties though.
Watson - 7 - Not great in the first half, but excellent in the second. Showed his undoubted ability and finally seems to have gotten it into his head that he's actually not bad running with the ball instead of doing an impression of Stevie Gerrard. His corners were consistently poor and perhaps demostrated why Dowie was right to get Routledge to take them last season. I'd prefer if Joonas took them personally this season.
Mikele Leigertwood - 8 - MOM. See my assessment above. Was extremely impressed with the Ledge yesterday, as he appeared to work to the strengths of his game with short snappy passing, demonstrating far better composure. Possibly one of the strongest players I've seen play for Palace in a long time.
Soares - 5 - Poor showing from Tom. Aside from a nifty backheel for the goal Soares looked quite underpar. Not sure if he was carrying a knock but he appeared to be struggling to track back and needs to show a bit more confidence in taking his man on. Still not a winger though.
AJ - 8 - Full of running and looked a constant threat. Smartly taken goal, and was unlucky not to get a second with a fizzing half volley that the excellent Robert Green did well to save. He showed quite how silly the Norwich fans were to wind up a player of his ability. Fantastic celebration too.
Macken - 4 - For a man of his size he got knocked off the ball far too easily, although his shot that injured him showed a glimpse of what he is capable of. Some decent link-up play but he still looks to have some confidence problems to me.

Subs: Andrews - 6.5/7 - His best game yet for Palace. Showed that he has a powerful shot on him with one that fizzed past Green's far post and was a constant hive of energy and pace. His first touch still deserted him at times, such as when Watson (I think) squared it to him in the Norwich box and he allowed it to run away from him. Hopefully the chants will do his confidence the power of good too.
Butterfield - 6 - Judging from this and the reserve game I think he's more match fit than Boycey at the moment so would be worth using until Emmerson is sharper. Decent short-range passing and fairly intelligent use of the ball. Still not a midfield though IMHO.

Also I thought the ref was one of the best I've seen for a long while and helped contribute to a thoroughly entertaining game of football. The attention seeking c*nts otherwise known as Rob Styles and Phil Dowd would do well to take notes from the excellent Mr. Williamson.

Benzhiyi
14-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by AndyStreet
Also I thought the ref was one of the best I've seen for a long while and helped contribute to a thoroughly entertaining game of football. The attention seeking c*nts otherwise known as Rob Styles and Phil Dowd would do well to take notes from the excellent Mr. Williamson.

Excellent point.

GreatGonzo
14-08-2005, 03:32 PM
Agree about the ref, letting bothe teams play an advantage, not getting the book out too often, hardly noticed him which isalways the sign a referee has had a good game!

Was suprised when neither he nor the linesmen could make a decision that he gave us a corner!

joe walker
14-08-2005, 05:58 PM
This was my first game since coming back from holiday, and was pleased with getting off the mark points-wise

Kiraly 7 - Did his job, and couldnt stop the goal.
Borrowdale 7 - Some important tackles, but needed to close down the winger more
Boyce 6 - Strong going forward, good assist. However he left Huckerby on the wing one too many times
Ward 6 - Failed to clear the ball early enough at times in the 1st half and almost conceded a goal as a result. Improved in the 2nd though and was threatening at corners
Hall 7 - Some great last-ditch tackles, didnt stay tight enough to Ashton though
Kolkka 6 - Threatening on the ball, but failed to help Gary out with defending on the left
Soares 8 - Not a natural winger but did his job tremendously well considering
Watson 7 - Played well overall, picked up a lot of balls from the defence
Leggy 8 - Did the basics, and did them well, Constantly feeding Soares and Andrews simple through balls. Seems to be forming a central midfield partnership with Watson
AJ 7 - Good finish for the goal. Seemed more comfortable alongside Macken than he did with Andrews. Unlucky not to score late on
Macken 6 - Played a target man role, but didn't seem to win enough of the balls hit towards him. Hit some nice through passes to AJ early on. Injury unfortunate, although we would never have seen WA

SUBS:
Andrews 8 - Finally had enough time on the field in a Palace shirt to justify a fair rating from the fans. With him coming on, it allowed Palace's attacking approach to be faster with his and AJs pace. Had the first touch of a toddler, but was very strong, pacy and got himself into some good through positions. "SUPER, SUPER WAYNE..."

Butterfield 7 - Helped Boyce with Huckerby, and his apperance seemed to tighten the gap between defence and midfield. Good into a good position late on

OTHER THOUGHTS:
The bench was worrying before kick-off, but Andrews proved me wrong about that. The team as a whole worked well together as an attacking force. The Norwich fans' idea of AJ diving soon became a joke at them when Huckerby had several blatant dives turned down. Palace soon adopted their diving dance

"LETS ALL THE DO THE HUCKERBY,
LETS ALL DO THE HUCKERBY,
DA DA DA DAA, HOO!
DA DA DA DAA, HOO!"

Lords Eagle
14-08-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by sunshine lucas
not bad without Doog, Danny G, Aki and Hughsie

Or Jobi.

Malakite
14-08-2005, 10:47 PM
yeah the ref really was top drawer, could not really argue with any of his decisions and let the game flow as must as possible, best performance from a man in black I think I have ever witnessed! :eek:

cpfc4eva&eva&ev
15-08-2005, 09:08 AM
I cant believe some people are saying that they were shocked with Andrews playing so well! Give him the time on the pitch and he will do this to teams. They were scared of him in the final 15 mins. His touch is not the best but that will come. He could have got himself a goal as well!!!

sydnsteve
15-08-2005, 09:20 AM
I fear that at 27 it is a little late for his first touch 'to arrive'. Hope he proves me wrong though.

st albans
15-08-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
I fear that at 27 it is a little late for his first touch 'to arrive'. Hope he proves me wrong though.

i think he meant his match sharpness, as he hasnt played a lot of first team football in the last year

st albans
15-08-2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
Agree about the ref, letting bothe teams play an advantage, not getting the book out too often, hardly noticed him which isalways the sign a referee has had a good game!

the fact that i dont remember his name says it all, and thats the way it should be

sydnsteve
15-08-2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by st albans
i think he meant his match sharpness, as he hasnt played a lot of first team football in the last year

But is noted throughout his carreer for great pace with little control. Hard to see at his age how that will change. Hope it does though.

Randomly Random
15-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Here are my ratings for the Saturday:

Journey: Fine, about three hours including a stop off near Ipswich in the Magpie.

Angler: Nice pub, disappointing beers on tap.

Parking: nightmare, but Morrisons did the job.

And now the players...

Kiarly - 7: Some good saves, good distribution, not much he could do for Ashton's goal.

Boyce - 6: Was good to see him push forward but was caught out of position many times. Looks out of form.

Ward - 6: Did well, showed some good positional sense but left Ashton for the goal.

Hall - 6: Made a great tacle in the area in the first half, doesn't look up to speed but both him and DW showed signs they could form a great partnership at the back.

Borrowdale - 7: Had a solid game and tucked in when needed.

Soares - 6: Considering he is not a winger he did well. Some good movement but too clow to put the ball into the box.

Leigertwood - 8: MOM, had an outstanding game and showed signs of fullfilling his potential as a holding midfielder. His passing was good overall and got stuck in when the game was scrappy early on and provided good cover for the defence all game.

Watson - 7: His passing was at times shocking but at other times sublime. Was impressed but he needs to learn to tackle and do the more mundane of midfield duties... like track back.

Kolkka - 6: Did well but often caught out when Norwich attacked down the wing.

Johnson - 7: Had at least two players all over him at times, Norwich knew he was a threat and they did well to keep him under control. Fantastic poachers finish for the equaliser and did well to lose his marker.

Macken - 6: Went off injured mid-way through the first half. Had one good moment after a left footed shot was well saved after good control from a crossfield pass from Soares. Held the ball up well a couple of times and appears to be a good passer of the ball.

SUBS..

Andrews - 7: Touch of an elephant at times but really got stuck in, was not afraid to tackle and run at the opposition. Deserved the "Super Wayne" chants just for his work rate. If Macken cannot make Plymouth, would like him to start alongside AJ.

Butterfield - 6: Was it me or did he not look 100% match fit?! Did well when he came on and provided good cover for Boyce when Huckerby was getting forward. A good passer of the ball.

And the rest of my ratings:

Drive home: Long!! The weather was shocking but found a pub (run by a Norwich fan) on the way home to stop off at.

Beers: Went down well after a good day out and muchly deserved point against fellow Promotion candidates. Overall was impressed by our performance but was worried as at times we were caught out by the pace of the Norwich counter attack.

cpfc_spc1982
15-08-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Randomly Random

Ward - 6: Did well, showed some good positional sense but left Ashton for the goal.

Hall - 6: Made a great tacle in the area in the first half, doesn't look up to speed but both him and DW showed signs they could form a great partnership at the back.

ive not seen the goal again, but im pretty sure it was hall who left ashton for the goal.

joe walker
15-08-2005, 11:57 AM
twas fitzy who left ashton for the goal

GreatGonzo
15-08-2005, 12:03 PM
To be fair, Ashton left Fitz.

You cannot say AJ did well to lose his marker and not say teh same about Ashton.

He left Hall, his movement was spotted and teh ball in was accurate, the finish used the pace on the ball and was well guided!

Buglebob
15-08-2005, 12:16 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Randomly Random
[B]Hall - 6: Made a great tacle in the area in the first half, doesn't look up to speed but both him and DW showed signs they could form a great partnership at the back.

Thought there was signs of TWO usefull partnerships in the making on Saturday: Fitz and Darren looked good (again - they looked good against Wolves) and also AJ and Wayne. When two "nippy" strikers play together they often seem to run into the same space and down the same channels. Although there was a couple of occasions when AJ colud/should have passed to Wayne, there seemed to be no confusion over who went where etc.

Steve H
15-08-2005, 12:20 PM
I won't do individual ratings, but agree with previous posters that Leigertwood was our man-of-the-match. Borrowdale looked a bit shakey in the first half (as did the rest of our defence) and didn't close his man down properly, but improved in the second. Boyce was constantly second-best to Huckerby, but looked effective when he got forward. Andrews never gave up, constantly chased and harried their defenders and won the ball on a few occasions when he had no right to. Yes, there were a few bad touches but for sheer effort he deserved the "super Wayne" song. AJ was AJ. Watson looked composed in the second half and some of our quick one-two passing was excellent, if lacking a decent final ball.

Not sure on the best team for Saturday. At the match I suggested dropping Boyce for Butterfield, but he won't be up against a player like Huckerby every game so perhaps it's unfair to drop him on that performance. Would be quite happy with a midfield of Leigertwood and Watson, and two from three of Soares/Kolkka/McAnuff on the wings. AJ and Andrews should start up front.

Ferry Boat after the game was interesting - highest concentration of mohicans, piercings and leather jackets I've seen in one pub. Ended up staying for a few hours until the torrential rain cleared up enough to walk to the car!

Randomly Random
15-08-2005, 01:28 PM
Yes, I think a few of you are correct and it was Hall that was supposed to be picking up Ashton. In fairness too (note this GG!) Ashton did do well to lose his marker. Perhaps a bit of bias in my ratings post..... :p

Tommy Pickle
15-08-2005, 01:43 PM
Kiraly - 7
Didn't have that much to do, but denied Ashton in the 2nd half with a superb save.
Boyce - 7
Huckerby beat him a few times, but got lucky also. Boyce got forward well and provided assist.
Hall - 7
Seen him play better.
Ward - 7
1st time I've seen him start for Palace. Looked pretty solid.
Borrowdale - 6
Not helped by Kolkka's refusal to defend.
Soares - 6
Lots of running but also seen him play better.
Leggy - 8
Man of the Match. Our very own Makele
Watson - 7
Showed some good skills in the second half and a real desire to win the ball back when not in possesion. Keeps on improving.
Kolkka - 7
Just what we needed going forward. Looked comfortable and confident on the ball. He was our worst player when we were without the ball.
Macken - 7
Some lovely touches and an early strike, but unfortunate with injury. Hope he's not out for long.
Johnson - 7
After both games I have seen this season (Luton & Norwich) in which AJ scored in both, I have come away expecting more from him. Had he layed the ball off to Andrews in the last ten mins, we would have come away with 3 points. Brought out a good save from Green.
Andrews - 7
On for Macken and caused Norwich all sorts of problems. Looked very eager to please and not afraid to get hurt. Came close with a low effort that was just the wrong side of the post. His performance was the biggest positive I took from the game
Butterfield - 7
After the Wolves result I was pleased to see us tighten up for the last 10 mins. Danny gave us something going forward (not as much as Kolkka), and at the same time gave us 100% more defensive cover than Kolkka. Needs more match practise though.

Tommy Pickle
15-08-2005, 01:44 PM
Palace Fans - 9
Brilliant day out. Good to hear us getting behind Andrews. Some quality songs.

IanH
15-08-2005, 03:11 PM
First half, I thought we were pretty poor even though we had more possession than Norwich. Second half we were all over them, although they had some good chances on the counter attack. If we can play consistently like we did in the second half then we should finish comfortably in a play-off spot at worst.

fish finger
15-08-2005, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
Same as the middle part of the match against Wolves, against the other 2 pre season favourites have been very entertaining to watch!
Agree 100% GG. The way we played in both cames has been so encouraging cos we playing best football since Brucie's halycon days. Yet i cant also help being disappointed cos we only took 1 point off the other contenders.

Daddy Long
15-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Kiraly - 7. No chance with the goal and did everything else that was asked of him
Boyce - 6. The hardest game he will have all season and did alright but nothing spectacular.
Hall - 7. Held a shakey defense together.
Ward - 4. Pony. Didn't see anything to suggest he will be a good long term signing. Would have preferred Darren Powell any day of the week.
Borrowdale - 6. Looked composed and Marney didn't get too much joy.
Soares - 5. Not impressive but was out of position again.
Leigertwood - 8. Did what he does best, get involved, break play up and drive forward. Will only get better.
Watson - 6. OK.
Kolkka - 5. Didn't get involved at all.
AJ - 7. Nicely taken goal.
Macken - 5. Looked crap to be honest apart from the one left footed shot that went wide.

Subs:
Andrews - 8. MOM. Changed the game when he came on and deserves a start against Plymouth for the effort and running he put in.
Butterfield - 5. Average performance - didn't really get stuck in.