PDA

View Full Version : Gary Borrowdale

Leif Andersen
13-09-2005, 03:21 PM
Looks like he's gonna be the first choice left-back this season. Dowie has said on record he's going to promote the younger players this year, and it looks like even with granville fit again he's not gonna get much of a look in.
This has to be a good thing. Borrowdale played for England under 19s, and is starting to show some promising form and can only get better with every game. he's also a local lad who's come through the youth system. i'd rather have him in the team than Granville who tried to cripple our wage structure last year.
Lets get behind Borrowdale and the team will reap the benefits. :p

13-09-2005, 03:26 PM
off topic how many threads do you make a day ??

Jay_Palace
13-09-2005, 03:27 PM
It's not a good thing when Borrowdale is some way off being as good as Granville.

I'm all for giving the kids a chance but you can't construct your whole team of youth players. We have badly missed Granville and if he is going to be missing for as long as has been suggested [2 months] then we will be the pooper for it.

Borrowdale has a lot to do to convince me that he is the long term answer to the left back slot.

13-09-2005, 03:28 PM
in all fairness to boorowdale he looked very good going forward doing good runs and crosses. could possibly be given a chance at left mid imo.

Jay_Palace
13-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by 007
in all fairness to boorowdale he looked very good going forward doing good runs and crosses. could possibly be given a chance at left mid imo.

He's defensively suspect and that is his main job. Luke Chadwick took him to the cleaners the other week, by all accounts.

13-09-2005, 03:30 PM
true but still he is young and i think granville will come in for him when he is fit

Boyandy
13-09-2005, 03:31 PM
We won't get promoted with Borrowdale at left-back - he's the weak link in the defence and teams are starting to latch onto that.

He played reasonably well on Saturday, but has been poor when I've seen him this season. Granville needs to come in when he's fit.

Leif Andersen
13-09-2005, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by 007
off topic how many threads do you make a day ??

2 or 3 a week

BUNGLE
13-09-2005, 03:34 PM
Think he is improving, in terms of getting forward that part of his game will come with confidence and getting use to this level of football and what he is capable of doing and not, his done no worse than Granville defensivly.

Beanie
13-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by 007
true but still he is young and i think granville will come in for him when he is fit
'S what ID basically said at the weekend I think, although he said that Gary would be "under severe pressure", because you can't tell a guy he's just keeping some other players place warm for him.

Lion
13-09-2005, 04:08 PM
I thought Granville was still injured or building up against since injury?

Palaceboy222
13-09-2005, 04:17 PM
Borrowdale has potential but has been poor this season

Bring back Danny G asap!!

Ward's Mullet
13-09-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Palaceboy222
Borrowdale has potential but has been poor this season

Bring back Danny G asap!!

that was true before hull. Borrowdale played really well. Good in defence and at the end of the first/ whole on the second half was good going forward. I do prefer Granville at the moment but think that borrowdale will slowly grow into the role. Also, all the fans kept getting on his back when he didnt break and kept giving it back in to hughes but that was cause Dowie was telling him to, then in the second half without Dowie there i thought he was good.

leesaw
13-09-2005, 06:42 PM
Sorry ,i have to disagree he looked scared to cross the half way line on saturday and still finds himself out of position too often.Also too lightweight. Bring back Danny G, far better in all aspects of the game.

magician
13-09-2005, 07:54 PM
he's got a lot to learn yet, but has potential
played well against hull but wasn't ever really put under any pressure, used the ball well going forwards though

jazman
13-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Hull was my first game this season and I thought he was pretty poor. Some tell me that is his best game so far so I am a little worried. How far from fitness is Danny G, anyone know?

JohnA
13-09-2005, 10:55 PM
Tonight a lot of their attacks were at the channel he was guarding.
For their first goal Doyle had enough space to land a 747 in.

cpfc_spc1982
13-09-2005, 10:58 PM
he either leaves the winger with way too much space and lets him get the cross in or just backs off and off. poor again tonight.

oldeagle
13-09-2005, 11:00 PM
Got to agree JohnA. He was turned inside out all night. Saving grace for him was that he was not alone. In all departments with the exception of AJ and Tom Soares we looked slow in comparison to Reading.
If they had put away half the chances they created / we gifted them, the score line could have been a lot worse.
Get your thinking hat ID.

glaziers fan
13-09-2005, 11:32 PM
Just like Butterfield, he has very limited potential for when it comes to playing at the highest level cos of a chronic lack of pace.

However he could make a decent CCC left-back. he's good technically. needs to learn how to defend though.

GreatGonzo
13-09-2005, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by JohnA
Tonight a lot of their attacks were at the channel he was guarding.
For their first goal Doyle had enough space to land a 747 in.

Only because Borrowdale had the ball, the only option really on was a ball down the line and there was no-one there. When he was closed down he put the ball up the line, Reading attacked the area he was trying to get bak into.

You cannot judge Borrowdale until he actually has a decent wide midfielder playing infront of him, who doesn't wander off into the middle of teh park every couple of minutes.

mailman
14-09-2005, 07:28 AM
Here,Here

redandblue
14-09-2005, 07:55 AM
I thought Borrodale has a stormer against Stoke that however seems to be a one off. I felt a bit sorry for him last night as he had not portection infront of him but IMHO he is either not good enough or not ready to be the first choice LB. I think that when Granny is back it woudl be worth giving him a shot at LMF

pedro
14-09-2005, 08:06 AM
Borrowdale has the ability but lacks any natural pace and that is not something that can be greatly improved. Going forward he looks accomplished but defensively he struggles as the opposition wingers get round him too easy resulting in him making desperate lunges before their pace carries them out of his reach.

AndyStreet
14-09-2005, 08:29 AM
Borrowdale is truly one of the worst defenders I've seen in a long time. He can neither tackle nor track a man, neither head a ball nor block a cross. He is outpaced by every player he comes up against, shows little ability to read which way his man is going to turn and consequently always looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights of an oncoming Land Rover. That we miss the inconsistent, unspectacular Danny Granville says much for the ineptitude of Borrowdale. We will leak goals for the rest of the season from our left if we persist with him.

Nelson Muntz
14-09-2005, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
You cannot judge Borrowdale until he actually has a decent wide midfielder playing infront of him, who doesn't wander off into the middle of teh park every couple of minutes.
Have to agree with this to a certain extent. He has been left woefully exposed by our lack of left sided midfielder.

gsaunders22
14-09-2005, 08:40 AM
AndyStreet 100% spot on, he was shocking !!

JohnA
14-09-2005, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
Only because Borrowdale had the ball, the only option really on was a ball down the line and there was no-one there. When he was closed down he put the ball up the line, Reading attacked the area he was trying to get bak into.

I don't think that he is soley culpable (& I want him as a Palace Youth to be successful) hence the wording of my post.

However, it was their attacks I am talking about not him on the ball.
He reminded me of Richard Shaw not closing opposition down. However, Shaw is still playing...

Gazpacho
14-09-2005, 08:50 AM
In a nutshell - he gave far too much space to Glen Little and he allowed the ball to be crossed in far too much. He was constantly having to be covered by Ward and Watson, bringing them out of position. His distribution was generally poor and ineffective.

He needs to impose himself and dominate his opposing player much more in a no nonsense crunching tackle sort of way if need be. Far to nice and respectful at present.

PalaceForever
14-09-2005, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Gazpacho
In a nutshell - he gave far too much space to Glen Little and he allowed the ball to be crossed in far too much. He was constantly having to be covered by Ward and Watson, bringing them out of position. His distribution was generally poor and ineffective.

He needs to impose himself and dominate his opposing player much more in a no nonsense crunching tackle sort of way if need be. Far to nice and respectful at present.

I didn't see a single classic 'cross 'n strike' all night. There was loads of interplay with Doyle, Lita and co. foraging and exchanging passes with Little just outside the area on the left.

Gazpacho
14-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Maybe not 'classic cross n strike' but, for me, Reading were crossing almost at will and once the ball comes in.......

Having said that, from my view of the game ( and I know it can be seen different ways ) it was coming in from both sides so I don't really want to single out one player. I have posted re Gary Borrowdale because I want to be critical in a constructive way. He has a great chance and he needs to take it.

Trilby
14-09-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by AndyStreet
Borrowdale is truly one of the worst defenders I've seen in a long time. He can neither tackle nor track a man, neither head a ball nor block a cross. He is outpaced by every player he comes up against, shows little ability to read which way his man is going to turn and consequently always looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights of an oncoming Land Rover. That we miss the inconsistent, unspectacular Danny Granville says much for the ineptitude of Borrowdale. We will leak goals for the rest of the season from our left if we persist with him. Cant beleive I'm saying this but I agree completely with AS. Bring back DG!