PDA

View Full Version : The new look Guardian - saturday's sport section today 18 Sept- no real football


northernsouler
17-09-2005, 10:57 AM
No less than 5 whole in depth pages pre match stuff devoted to Prem. clubs, 2 pages to ashes cricket. NONE on the entire CC leagues apart ftrom 2 paras on the PNE-stoke report. Why are they blanking the majority of fans ? it's not as if crowds are down - more people will be going watching the CC games today than the prem. And there will be a helluva lot more goals scored in our league. Call me perverse but sometimes I think the so called prem is one con. designed to sell satellite dishes and advertising.

wedgetail
17-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by northernsouler
[B I think the so called prem is one con. designed to sell satellite dishes and advertising. [/B]
And this is a surprise?

Duffle Coat
17-09-2005, 11:11 AM
Sorry to be picky and all but isn't today the 17th of September and not the 18th ? Maybe you have got an advance copy of tomorrow's newspaper and if so, can you pm me the results.

richsaint
17-09-2005, 04:20 PM
The Times is no better, eight pages of Prem, two pages of cricket and a two page spread on Valentino Rossi. The only mention of the rest of the league is a couple of paragraphs about Stoke beating Preston (probably the same as in the Guardian, most likely from a news wire service) and the league tables.

I think for a lot of these editors football doesn't exist below the Prem, they're probably all Man U fans...

Ruskin Old Boy
17-09-2005, 06:48 PM
Too true ... I used to write and complain, politely. Gave up, never got a response (unlike the BBC which does respond).

Jacko
17-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by richsaint
The Times is no better . . . and a two page spread on Valentino Rossi. . . .

How can you moan about that?? Rossi is a genuine motorsport LEGEND but largely ignored by the UK papers. It's about time he got some proper coverage.

Chobham Eagle
17-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by northernsouler
No less than 5 whole in depth pages pre match stuff devoted to Prem. clubs, 2 pages to ashes cricket. NONE on the entire CC leagues apart ftrom 2 paras on the PNE-stoke report. Why are they blanking the majority of fans ? it's not as if crowds are down - more people will be going watching the CC games today than the prem. And there will be a helluva lot more goals scored in our league. Call me perverse but sometimes I think the so called prem is one con. designed to sell satellite dishes and advertising.

Couldn't agree more. But would you have said this 12 months ago?

richsaint
18-09-2005, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Jacko
How can you moan about that?? Rossi is a genuine motorsport LEGEND but largely ignored by the UK papers. It's about time he got some proper coverage.

I didn't mean it like that, I agree, he is an absolute legend and I have nothing but admiration for the guy. What I meant was if they can find two pages to write about a sportsman in what is (in this country anyway) a relatively low profile sport, why can't they also provide at least one page on the football league, which has more of a following in this country every weekend than moto GP ever will.