PDA

View Full Version : Online Poker Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Fide et Fiducia
28-09-2006, 09:00 AM
AK?

SamTheOldGoat
28-09-2006, 09:53 AM
From the big blind, I bet you've lost most money....

SamTheOldGoat
28-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Sorry,make that small blind!

saul1664
28-09-2006, 12:34 PM
JJ

David Amsalem
28-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by oz_da II
Especially when I hit trips every eight or so flops.... :moo:

If you hate seeing a flop with pocket pairs when do you like to see a flop?

As StOG says, an important aspect of playing high pocket pairs is not being scared to lay them down when you know/suspect you are beat.

Maybe hate is a strong word. What I meant is, I would rather have pockets against somebody who is all in rather then playing against somebody with an equal stack.

The amount of times somebody has hit a crap two pair or something is upsetting. It is so hard to get stop people chasing even with bets of half the pot etc I tend to find.

oz_da II
28-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by DANCOO
This could take some time.:rolleyes: :D

AA

It hasn't, you got it right there. :o

Received pocket bullets three times (which is about right for 700 hands) and I've got a 0% success rate. Losing to two straights and a 2 pair.

AKo is my most successful hand so far. Played 8 with a 62.5% success rate.

The one major thing PO2 has shown me is how important position is, the vast majority of my wins are from the button.

As it goes I'm 3.27BB/100, not too bad...

oz_da II
28-09-2006, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by SamTheOldGoat
From the big blind, I bet you've lost most money....

Incorrect, so far, in profit actually from the BB. It's early doors but I've lost most money from the cut off.

Saw your edit, I'm all square from the SB.

saul1664
28-09-2006, 02:49 PM
surreal time for me, placed 2nd in tourney winning $600, then having KK 3x, twice running into AA, and getting crushed by an appalling player calling with any two cards all the way to the river no matter how much raised and hitting 90% of the time, then some outrageous luck to win $90 in a STT, short stacked heads up 993 holding 55, already raised, so call all-in he turns over 33, another second I think (last two previous STT's ended up in second) only for a 5 to fall on the river, make a change though

saul1664
28-09-2006, 11:53 PM
another £90 in STT, chip leader had 4,000, I have 1,000, hit about 5 quads today, not always paid off but ended up level with chip leader on heads up surreally again in second round, 3 out (of 6) after 4th hand, now have a monkey, ton by the end of next week?

RichieG
05-10-2006, 09:08 AM
For those of you who play cash games, what stakes do you play and what sort of variance do you tend to experience?

I'm finding myself just about breaking even in the long term, but with huge swings of up to $200 on $0.25/$0.50 tables. Is this good/normal, or do you guys find you have more consistent results?

I should really go back to SNG's where I was more consistent, but the allure of the cash games is strong when you can win $50 on one hand.

SamTheOldGoat
07-10-2006, 02:04 PM
I play now on 0.50/1 and 1/2 and sometimes 2/4

I play these as the CONSIDERABLE amount of donks out there make them SO profitable. I will have between 2/4 tables open at a time, and I will literally play good starting hands IN position. Because I am playing 3 other tables I am concentrating on them, and don't want to get involved in reraissing a raise with 72 o/s because I'm bored.

As the blinds are never increasing I don't feel you have to 'learn' about your opponents quite as much as you do in SNG's. I have now made a LARGE number of notes on players who play at my tables and it's rare that I will sit at a table without anyones notes appearing.

As a student, this is now how I make a living to pay for my lifestyle, and it beats working 10 hour shifts in a bar like my friends HANDSDOWN.

I also make sure I am comfy and concentrating which I find helpful with relaxing music. Make sure your internet connection is reliable. There's nothing worse than being HU in a $200 pot and your wireless going down!

Oh, and PS, Don't play ABOVE your limits, for example if your going busto on 25.50, make sure your fine financially to take another reload and get your cash back.

Anyway, I'm waffling, hope SOME of that helps :)

Micky Spilane
08-10-2006, 12:56 PM
I have now made a LARGE number of notes on players who play at my tables and it's rare that I will sit at a table without anyones notes appearing.

How do you do that? Is it your own programme or service that is provided by the poker site?

SamTheOldGoat
08-10-2006, 08:26 PM
The sites provide it, and all major sites I have used do it. Double click on their name and where chat normally appears, NOTES will appear :)

Number Six
09-10-2006, 12:32 PM
There's obviously a lot of knowledge on this thread so please could someone help me out with the following - many thanks.

I've never played online before (and hadn't played poker for years and not Texas Holdem, which is what I've now got into). But I signed up with Betfair Poker to see how I'd get on. First couple of times I got cleaned out but then did a bit of swot. Now, I'm winning - in fact I'm £70 quid up over a couple of weeks only playing in the 25p / 50p rooms.

Which isn't exactly big money but I was expecting to lose while I learn.

Questions :
- is this likely to be beginner's luck or does that not exist in this game?
- presumably most people lose in the long run as Betfair is just moving a fixed amount of money round the table, less the rake, so you have to break even plus the rake before you start to make anything.
- does the standard get better as the stake gets higher (say up to £1 / £2 stakes, I couldn't see me playing bigger than yet) or do those tables attract people who fancy winning bigger but are just as bad as some of the really bad players in the 25 / 50 rooms? (I may be a beginner but it's already easy to spot some of 'em!)

Thanks for your thoughts guys!

Gav The Hamster
09-10-2006, 12:40 PM
The key to success is minimize your losses especially with bad beats and maximise your big hands.

Dont move up the stakes until you have a big enough bankroll to sustain some losses which are inevitable. You can play the perfect hand and still get rivered, that is poker.

However from experience the 1/2 blinds tend to have better players and less bad beats because players know when they are losing and are not prepared to call on the off chance they might hit. However the smaller tables are full of "fish" who you can pick off relatively easily but then lose all your stack in one hand where your a massive favourite only to then get raped by someone hoping to get lucky (which they do).

My advice would be to stay at the 25/50 limits for another month, see if your still winning and then go from there.

Son of Selhurst
09-10-2006, 12:48 PM
All beginners win online, otherwise they would leave.

Number Six
09-10-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Son of Selhurst

You mean the software is fixed?

DANCOO
09-10-2006, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Number Six
There's obviously a lot of knowledge on this thread so please could someone help me out with the following - many thanks.

I've never played online before (and hadn't played poker for years and not Texas Holdem, which is what I've now got into). But I signed up with Betfair Poker to see how I'd get on. First couple of times I got cleaned out but then did a bit of swot. Now, I'm winning - in fact I'm £70 quid up over a couple of weeks only playing in the 25p / 50p rooms.

Which isn't exactly big money but I was expecting to lose while I learn.

Questions :
- presumably most people lose in the long run as Betfair is just moving a fixed amount of money round the table, less the rake, so you have to break even plus the rake before you start to make anything.
- does the standard get better as the stake gets higher (say up to £1 / £2 stakes, I couldn't see me playing bigger than yet) or do those tables attract people who fancy winning bigger but are just as bad as some of the really bad players in the 25 / 50 rooms? (I may be a beginner but it's already easy to spot some of 'em!)

Thanks for your thoughts guys!

I was winning fairly well when I started, then started to lose quite heavily.
Looking back, I realise I was winning due to luck, not good play - but I had never played any type of poker before, where you seem to have played a little in the past?
So in summary, IMO, yes, there is such a thing as 'beginners luck'.

Also, yes, most people do lose in the long run, although you would never think that, the way a lot of people brag at the table - the amount of people I've played against who claim they make their living from playing online poker, only to continually reload with $40 at the $0.50/$1.00 tables.:rolleyes:

Although I would say that generally the standard does improve the higher the limits you play, the biggest barrier to get over is the psychological one. Suddenly doubling up your bets can have a real effect on how you play the game. If you're not totally focused on the new limits, it can't play havoc with your game - big pots on a lower limit suddenly become small pots on a higher limit...etc...

Number Six
09-10-2006, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Gav The Hamster
The key to success is minimize your losses especially with bad beats and maximise your big hands.

Dont move up the stakes until you have a big enough bankroll to sustain some losses which are inevitable. You can play the perfect hand and still get rivered, that is poker.

However from experience the 1/2 blinds tend to have better players and less bad beats because players know when they are losing and are not prepared to call on the off chance they might hit. However the smaller tables are full of "fish" who you can pick off relatively easily but then lose all your stack in one hand where your a massive favourite only to then get raped by someone hoping to get lucky (which they do).

My advice would be to stay at the 25/50 limits for another month, see if your still winning and then go from there.

Good advice, thanks. I've been playing very tight because I don't have the skills to manage poor / moderate hands and I've been folding if I already haven't got something pretty good after the flop (but using pot odds to decide to stay in sometimes). So hopefully, the higher stake rooms would suit that style, but I'll take your advice and keep it low for a while first!

DANCOO
09-10-2006, 12:53 PM

SOS will probably moan about me purposely picking on his posts, but if he continues to say stuff like this, I will continue to ask for proof.
Apparantly he has proof, but will not share it!:rolleyes:

Number Six
09-10-2006, 12:54 PM
I was winning fairly well when I started, then started to lose quite heavily.
Looking back, I realise I was winning due to luck, not good play - but I had never played any type of poker before, where you seem to have played a little in the past?
So in summary, IMO, yes, there is such a thing as 'beginners luck'.

Also, yes, most people do lose in the long run, although you would never think that, the way a lot of people brag at the table - the amount of people I've played against who claim they make their living from playing online poker, only to continually reload with $40 at the $0.50/$1.00 tables.:rolleyes:

Although I would say that generally the standard does improve the higher the limits you play, the biggest barrier to get over is the psychological one. Suddenly doubling up your bets can have a real effect on how you play the game. If you're not totally focused on the new limits, it can't play havoc with your game - big pots on a lower limit suddenly become small pots on a higher limit...etc...

Interesting, thanks........

David Amsalem
09-10-2006, 01:12 PM

Ignore him. Everybody else does on this thread.

PoolKing
09-10-2006, 06:02 PM

Not true. When I first started playing I was useless and deservedly lost money.

PoolKing
09-10-2006, 06:07 PM

I would offer this advice too. Bankroll management is so, so important. It is too easy to get overconfident and think you can play higher stakes before you have the bankroll only to lose a big chunk with a bad beat. If you are a good player and play within your limits you will achieve long run success if you manage bankroll properly, it involves a high level of discipline but pays off in the long run.

PoolKing
09-10-2006, 06:12 PM
Questions :

- It may be or may not be 'beginner's luck'. Even the worst of players have winning sessions, even winning weeks and possibly months.

- I think I heard once before that 10% of players win in the long run and only half of them (5% of all players) make a significant amount.

- I have played most limits before and there are bad players at every level though you are right in saying that generally the numbers decrease as you move up limits. A lot of things can vary when you move up limits, for example I find it easier to bluff successfully as you move up limits as players tend to be more rational, paying attention to betting patterns and unlikely to chase with a lesser hand.

Number Six
10-10-2006, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by PoolKing
- It may be or may not be 'beginner's luck'. Even the worst of players have winning sessions, even winning weeks and possibly months.

- I think I heard once before that 10% of players win in the long run and only half of them (5% of all players) make a significant amount.

- I have played most limits before and there are bad players at every level though you are right in saying that generally the numbers decrease as you move up limits. A lot of things can vary when you move up limits, for example I find it easier to bluff successfully as you move up limits as players tend to be more rational, paying attention to betting patterns and unlikely to chase with a lesser hand.

Cheers PoolKing, good info. That 10% sounds about right to me, the maths of the rake must mean that most people lose.

SamTheOldGoat
11-10-2006, 12:04 AM
A good friend of mine was only playing 1/2 6 months ago. He's now playing 15/30 and 25/50 and clearing SILLY money, i.e. OVER £10k profit last month. Not bad for an hours work here and there :)

PS. Yawn@SOS

Number Six
11-10-2006, 12:30 PM
Thanks very much for all the replies to my earlier questions. Here's another question - if you don't mind - this time about poker software :

I seriously wouldn't want to cheat (anyway, I doubt you could rely on software for that anyway, you still need intuition etc etc and I'm sure the sites monitor betting patterns that look software driven).

But as a beginner, it would be useful to use some software to have the analysis of which hands you score and lose with etc etc. (Poker Office 2 was mentioned a page or two back)

What are the poker rooms attitude to software ?

Are they generally Ok with its use as long as you are not betting from it? Can they know you are using it? I wouldn't want innocent use of it to result in being banned.......

Many thanks again for your inputs.

oz_da II
11-10-2006, 02:13 PM
I've been using Poker Office 2 for two weeks now. There's a list of sites which you can use it on on the PO2 website. I don't think any sites have a problem with it and no one else can know you are using it.

It's great for finding leaks in your game and also tracking your opponents. It's good to "walk" onto a table and knowing you are playing with losing players. It helps with knowing who to be wary of as well.

To answer your previous question, I play 0.50/1.00 limit. At the moment I'm still at about 3BB/100hands over 2000 hands. That's about $2.00/hr :clown:
Better than being a losing player I suppose. Still much to learn obviously. Need to learn to not get crazy about high pair low kicker and not have so many ganders at the river when I know I'm beat.

Number Six
11-10-2006, 04:30 PM
I've been using Poker Office 2 for two weeks now. There's a list of sites which you can use it on on the PO2 website. I don't think any sites have a problem with it and no one else can know you are using it.

It's great for finding leaks in your game and also tracking your opponents. It's good to "walk" onto a table and knowing you are playing with losing players. It helps with knowing who to be wary of as well.

To answer your previous question, I play 0.50/1.00 limit. At the moment I'm still at about 3BB/100hands over 2000 hands. That's about $2.00/hr :clown:
Better than being a losing player I suppose. Still much to learn obviously. Need to learn to not get crazy about high pair low kicker and not have so many ganders at the river when I know I'm beat.

Cheers Oz. As you say, at least you are winning so you are in the minority! I'm like you I think, as a beginner its hard to have KK or AA and then see a flush or straight hand flop up....deep down you sometimes know you're beat but we probably play it in hope, whereas we should throw away.

Sorry, but what does BB mean as in 3BB/100?

oz_da II
11-10-2006, 06:11 PM
BB = Big Blinds

DANCOO
12-10-2006, 01:18 AM
••••!
:bash:

How ••••••• stupid!!!

Not really been playing much recently, but entered a $15k GTD 399 entrants - this evening.

Playing over 4 hours, I'm sitting 3/18

Holding AA.
Everyone folds round to me.
I'm on the button, so only raise about 2 1/2 x BB hoping someone will read me for a steal and re-raise.
One caller (he's got me covered).
Flop comes JKK.
He checks, I check.
Turn comes K.
He checks, I check.
River 3.
He bets 3 x BB...so rather than go for safety and make a call, I re-raise him :bash:
He puts me all in, and I call at the very last minute.
Quads.:grrr:

I was very lucky to double up on a couple of occasions to get into that position, but FFS, why didn't I just flat call????:clown: :moo:

RichieG
12-10-2006, 08:48 AM
No way you could have put him on that hand with 3 Kings on the board, you have to think it's unlikely he's holding the remaining one. I reckon you made the right play on the end, but you should have been raising him off the pot before the flop and on the flop. They do say you should never try and slow play Aces, it just increases the chance of them getting cracked.

DANCOO
12-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by RichieG
No way you could have put him on that hand with 3 Kings on the board, you have to think it's unlikely he's holding the remaining one. I reckon you made the right play on the end, but you should have been raising him off the pot before the flop and on the flop. They do say you should never try and slow play Aces, it just increases the chance of them getting cracked.

Well, I wasn't really slow playing them, as you still want to get one caller when you have AA.
I think I was right to check the flop after the two K's hit, and also when the third one hit, but I think my play on the river was poor.
Funny thing is, had there only been two K's out there after the river, I would probably have just called his bet on the end. Seeing the third K come out just convinced me he didn't have it.:rolleyes:

SamTheOldGoat
12-10-2006, 12:28 PM
Completely agree with the flat call play. Nevermind mate, we all make mistakes :(

Only really playing cash at the moment, watched my brother chop for 3rd place on Party last night for 1800!

DANCOO
12-10-2006, 08:52 PM
Dealing Hole Cards to Carlito_1 (6h 7s)
savilapsi folded
jessie33 folded
nahir81 folded
leopard07 called for 50
twit101, you have 10 seconds to respond
twit101 called for 50
Basse66 folded
pokker called for 50
TheLowDown called for 25
blindodogo checked
Dealing the Flop(8h 9h 5d )
Carlito_1 checked
blindodogo checked
leopard07 bet for 350
twit101 called for 350
pokker folded
Carlito_1 went all-in for 3,330
blindodogo folded
leopard07 called for 2,980
twit101 went all-in for 1,680
Dealing the turn(8c )
Dealing the river(8d )
twit101 wins 6,340 with Four of a Kind, Eights
Carlito_1 wins 2,600 with a Straight, Nine high

Not too pissed off, as it's only a satellite, but FFS!!!, how can someone call an all-in raise after one additional caller, holding just middle pair (he was holding something like 84o)?
:clown: :clown: :clown:

saul1664
12-10-2006, 09:17 PM
How about this for a suck out then

7500 chips after first hour

dealt AcJc raised by one to 600, another calls, I flat call

flop J 2c 4c

Raise 1200, one drops, other calls 2400.

99% I am ahead

He turns over Kc 5c, so have the flush covered as well as top pair top kicker

Turn 5 River 5

:eek:

Strathclyde Eagle
12-10-2006, 09:25 PM
That's weird, can't see where you folded/called in your hand Dan.

Saul - that suck out is nearly as bad as Funk Butter's running black 7s from way back in this thread.

saul1664
12-10-2006, 09:29 PM
how did he call all-in on a board he hadn't even matched on, even worse became chip leader with 21,000 chips

DANCOO
12-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
That's weird, can't see where you folded/called in your hand Dan.

Oops.

That was on BET365. I edited my username to the one I use on Ladbrokes so as not to confuse people, but hadn't edited all of the names correctly...now done.

Son of Selhurst
13-10-2006, 09:13 PM
AK suited. Raised 3x BB. One caller. Flop comes K 6 3

Raised. Re-Raised. All-in. Call.

Caller has 6 3 os........

Gav The Hamster
13-10-2006, 09:22 PM
what and thats supposed to be a bad beat ?

oz_da II
13-10-2006, 10:58 PM

After the re-raise or the all-in (whichever play your opponent made) you must have known you were behind?
Poor play.

speechless
14-10-2006, 05:10 AM
poor play, go to your room.

Strathclyde Eagle
14-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Guy with 63 got very lucky I would say. Note and get him next time.

DANCOO
14-10-2006, 07:46 PM
Playing a $30K GTD - just seen three all-ins, AK v AK v AK...split pot:)

KevTheOptimist
14-10-2006, 08:10 PM
How you getting on Dancoo?

DANCOO
14-10-2006, 08:18 PM
Went out early (best hand I had in the first 45 mins was A7s and I pushed with it, called by 55 and went out), but I'm in the $100 crapshoot at 22:45 which I've never done anything approaching decent in.
Played a couple of big buy-ins recently and just have had nothing in way of playable cards.
Tourney I was in yesterday, I go past the first break with the following decent hole cards - AQ, AJ, 99, 55 - and that was it. Had even worse hole cards today.

SamTheOldGoat
14-10-2006, 08:22 PM

That's fair play. In cash games, I will OFTEN call a 3xbb with a marginal hand, the range I will play in cash is VERY wide ..... I like getting creative in nice positions...

CLICK ME (http://www.pokerhand.org/?557592)

KevTheOptimist
14-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Are you putting in the money for these tournies these days or is the bank roll still as a result of prevoious big victories?

DANCOO
14-10-2006, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by KevTheOptimist
Are you putting in the money for these tournies these days or is the bank roll still as a result of prevoious big victories?

9 times out of 10, I play an express satellite to get in - I've got these down to anough of an art that I probably on average pay around $55/$66 to get into a $110 tourney.

Strathclyde Eagle
14-10-2006, 09:43 PM
That's fair play. In cash games, I will OFTEN call a 3xbb with a marginal hand, the range I will play in cash is VERY wide ..... I like getting creative in nice positions...

CLICK ME (http://www.pokerhand.org/?557592)
A guy with AK hits top two pair and loses! Ouch.

DANCOO
14-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Just went out of crapshoot holding AQ against A9 (this guy went all-in three times in a row), had my Q held up, I would have gone up to 3/24...but nooooo, he has to get his 9 doesn't he!:clown:

Strathclyde Eagle
14-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Did you say that was a $100 buy-in?

DANCOO
14-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Did you say that was a $100 buy-in?

Yes.

Cost me $11 to enter an express tourney (on which I won a seat), for entry to the $100 + $10 crapshoot.
I've never placed.:( :moo:

Strathclyde Eagle
15-10-2006, 09:33 AM
I take it the guy was short-stacked then? I thought higher entry fee tournaments were meant to see better play?

Then again, I decided to watch a bit of action on a $5/$10 limit table tonight and saw a guy (on the button to be fair) win a monster pot with K2!

DANCOO
15-10-2006, 10:51 AM
I take it the guy was short-stacked then? I thought higher entry fee tournaments were meant to see better play?

Then again, I decided to watch a bit of action on a $5/$10 limit table tonight and saw a guy (on the button to be fair) win a monster pot with K2!

It was a 'turbo daddy crapshoot' - 3 minute blinds, 10 seconds to act.
So you need to be prepared to gamble a lot more than a standard tournament. Saying that, he was above the average stack at that point and I don't think he really knew what he was doing, as that win put him up to third and he got knocked out two places later.:clown:

Strathclyde Eagle
15-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Where did you have to finish to get into the money?

Generally, where do you have to finish in tournaments to qualify for the next stage, and what is the standard like?

DANCOO
15-10-2006, 03:11 PM
Where did you have to finish to get into the money?

Generally, where do you have to finish in tournaments to qualify for the next stage, and what is the standard like?

That tournament was a $6K GTD - 61 players. Top ten got paid.
I got knocked out in about 28th I think.
The whole tourney only lasts about 30 - 45 minutes.

Qualifying for the $100 buy-ins there are smaller satellites throughout the day, these are nearly always 1 in 10 ($11 buy-in), will qualify for the main tourney.
Earlier in the day, they will hold normal 1500 chips, 15min blinds/30 seconds to act satellites. Then a couple of hours before the main tourney, they will do a couple of turbo satellites - 500 chips 3min blinds/10 seconds to act. In the last hour the will hold a few express satellites - 100 chips, 1min blinds/10 seconds to act.
The express satellites are my favourite as I've got them sussed enough to get cheaper entry in the long run - although on occassions I may pay $66 in expresses, and not win a seat into the main tournament.

Standard in the $100 events is usually fairly solid - although there are plenty with deep pockets who don't mind chancing it in the re-buy period and will quite happily re-load $100 several times before calling it quits.

SamTheOldGoat
15-10-2006, 10:46 PM
You played the Stars Million Dancoo, $215, 6000 entrants tonight, top 900 paid, $176k for first.....

saul1664
15-10-2006, 11:12 PM
This was a slightly interesting night. £10 buy in, get up to 3000 chips after QA with Q on flop goes all-in against Q2 :). Then I get a phone call, and have to go out so assume I will be blinded away so call on next hand with straight draw whatever I am called (I know this is bad play btw), hit it with J on river, take pot and up to 5,500, called a massive fish but don't let it bother me and bust the guy out 3 hands later.

I have virtually 10 minutes play left so change style from passive agressive to extremely aggressive, though on playable hands (to be fair I got a lot of good hands), in 10 mins I am up to 11,500 chips, sure I would have been top 3 if continuing (annoying as 1st was £312). Got back when tourney over to find I finished in 9th (just by sitting out for £26).

Interesting thing was that when I was being ultra aggressive I was called with junk like 44 with overcards on table, his hitting the 4 on the river made my flush as well.

SamTheOldGoat
15-10-2006, 11:21 PM
A guy with AK hits top two pair and loses! Ouch.

Heck yer, people overrate AK WAYYYYYYYY too much, if you sit around for the nuts in short handed cash, you'll get into LOADS of trouble from past experience. Please note, I made the initial raise....

David Amsalem
16-10-2006, 06:21 PM
I was playing earlier. 15/30 in a STT.

Dealt AT suited, I'm just infront of the small blind. 1/7 have called for 30. I raise 150. Small blind and big blind both fold and its down to me and the guy who called for 30. He calls the raise and the flop is,

4 6 A

He checks. Pot is 215 so I bet 150 as AT is my unlucky hand and I'm happy to take a pot of 215.

I put him on A2 or something low because he called 30, didn't raise but was happy to play for 150. Anyway, turns out he has 46 off suit :confused:

Why do these guys play poker? Surely, they'll be better off playing the lottery.

DANCOO
16-10-2006, 07:24 PM
MTT $100 re-buy.1500 starting chips.
15 minutes in, blinds - 15/30.
I have 1470 chips.

I'm BB holding 10s 2s

Four other limpers.

Flop comes 4s Ah Qs

SB checks, what do you do?

I checked (with three players to act + the SB, I figure a couple of got a piece of it and don't want a raise).

I check.

Next player bets 230.

What do you do?

I figure he's got something to be betting with two to act, with an A and a Q on the board.

Everyone folds, so do I.

How would others have played that hand?

Gav The Hamster
16-10-2006, 07:29 PM
At that stage of the tourney with blinds so low i see no reason to get involved and lose a fair few chips on the flop and potentially the turn in the hope of hitting a flush which is only 10 high ?

Therefore imo, you made the right play

David Amsalem
16-10-2006, 07:30 PM
150 in the pot and he bets 230? Not getting value at all there so fold. You've got to hit and even if you do, its only ten high.

Edit - just noticed its a re-buy. If you're one of those idiots who keeps re-buying, wack 'em in.

(I don't play re-buys except for in live games)

Reps AJ
16-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Fold. Even if the flush hits you've only got a 10, there's no decent pot odds and there's loooaaaads of time left to pick a better spot.

DANCOO
16-10-2006, 08:00 PM
Still not getting the cards. Went out early again.
Blinds 50/100, 1200 chips.
Mid pos, all fold to me. I go all-in holding Ac7c
Get called by KJo.
Small favourite before and after flop, but he hits 2 pair on the turn to send me out.

citizen sane
16-10-2006, 08:03 PM
The G/F went to bed early on saturday feeling unwell , so I thought I'd have a game ( the first one for weeks ) There was a $3 re-buy on bet365 starting in a couple of minutes so i jumped into that .

Played a very tight game in the first hour because i was watching a dvd , same for the 2nd hour . Even so I had a comfortable amount of chips . DVD finished after another half hour so I checked how I was doing and found out I was 13th out of 41 ( 340 started )

So then I paid more attention to my game and after another hour it was down to the last 3 and I was still in a good position and at that point confident of winning it , when I inexplicably done this :confused:

me ID 987805178 starting - 2006-10-15 02:44:14
** $3 No Limit[625788]:Table 15 [Multi Table Hold 'em] (12000.00|24000.00 No Limit - MTT) Real Money

- shorty81 sitting in seat 5 with $381398.15
- 1outed sitting in seat 9 with $221669.08 [Dealer]
- Spizz80 sitting in seat 10 with $292932.77

Spizz80 posted the small blind - $6000.00
shorty81 posted the big blind - $12000.00

** Dealing card to Spizz80: 7 of Hearts, King of Spades
1outed folded
Spizz80 called - $12000.00
shorty81 bet - $36000.00
Spizz80 called - $36000.00

** Dealing the flop: 7 of Spades, 4 of Diamonds, Ace of Hearts
Spizz80 checked
shorty81 bet - $50000.00
Spizz80 raised - $200000.00
shorty81 raised - $350000.00
Spizz80 went all-in - $62932.77
shorty81 shows: Jack of Clubs, Ace of Spades

** Dealing the turn: 8 of Diamonds

** Dealing the river: 4 of Spades
shorty81 wins $597865.54 from the main pot

•••• knows what was I thinking , although shorty81 had been very aggressive since it had got down to 4 players .

Won $301 for that but was disapointed not to win .

Son of Selhurst
16-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by David Amsalem
I was playing earlier. 15/30 in a STT.

Dealt AT suited, I'm just infront of the small blind. 1/7 have called for 30. I raise 150. Small blind and big blind both fold and its down to me and the guy who called for 30. He calls the raise and the flop is,

4 6 A

He checks. Pot is 215 so I bet 150 as AT is my unlucky hand and I'm happy to take a pot of 215.

I put him on A2 or something low because he called 30, didn't raise but was happy to play for 150. Anyway, turns out he has 46 off suit :confused:

Why do these guys play poker? Surely, they'll be better off playing the lottery.

* cough *

DANCOO
16-10-2006, 08:12 PM
c_s - Looks like a typical Mike Matusow moment, of which I have had many.

Micky Spilane
17-10-2006, 10:40 AM
Slight profit last night, could have been better. I have now worked out how to edit player notes on Ladbrokes and, due to two bad beats within three hands there are two players with the note "River Rat". First bad beat was the worst: my hole cards were A J os, after the turn community cards were J 3 5 6 os, no possible flush draw, I raised half pot value, River Rat re-raises so I call, river card 4, River Rat takes pot with 7 high straight!

Gav The Hamster
17-10-2006, 11:03 AM
A question to the thread. What would you regard in % terms of the blinds you play a decent profit for a successful evening ?

PoolKing
17-10-2006, 11:43 AM
A question to the thread. What would you regard in % terms of the blinds you play a decent profit for a successful evening ?

Everyone will have different targets depending on playing style and no. of rooms played, etc. Just set a target that is realistically achieveable on a regular basis.

Personally, when I play each day I set an immediate profit target of 2x the buy-in for the levels I play. I do this playing between 2 and 5 tables. So, If I play $100 rooms, then my target profit is $200. This isn't a ridiculous level for the buy-in, as I just need to double my buy-in on 2 tables. It is even possible to get to $300 on one table fairly regularly so this target is achieveable on a regular basis and not unrealistic. Obviously, the more you incresase the target, the harder it is. If for example I set a target of $800, it is still possible to make that in one evening at the levels I mentioned but it won't be achieveable anywhere near as regularly. So, for the 2 buy-in target profit, that is the least I want to make, given my style and no. of tables.....when I reach that target I can play on if I want and of course there are days when I can surpass that easily but in general that is the average I want to make.

My advice would be just to concentrate playing a particular level at a good level and after making profit over a long period you will get a good idea of what a reasonable amount of profit you should expect to make is.

David Amsalem
17-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Does anybody play the Ladders on here at Laddies?

Have you had any success?

saul1664
17-10-2006, 09:22 PM
Everyone will have different targets depending on playing style and no. of rooms played, etc. Just set a target that is realistically achieveable on a regular basis.

Personally, when I play each day I set an immediate profit target of 2x the buy-in for the levels I play. I do this playing between 2 and 5 tables. So, If I play $100 rooms, then my target profit is $200. This isn't a ridiculous level for the buy-in, as I just need to double my buy-in on 2 tables. It is even possible to get to $300 on one table fairly regularly so this target is achieveable on a regular basis and not unrealistic. Obviously, the more you incresase the target, the harder it is. If for example I set a target of $800, it is still possible to make that in one evening at the levels I mentioned but it won't be achieveable anywhere near as regularly. So, for the 2 buy-in target profit, that is the least I want to make, given my style and no. of tables.....when I reach that target I can play on if I want and of course there are days when I can surpass that easily but in general that is the average I want to make.

My advice would be just to concentrate playing a particular level at a good level and after making profit over a long period you will get a good idea of what a reasonable amount of profit you should expect to make is.

crap just went all in on 9 10 off in tourney whilst reading your blog and pressing wrong button and raising to 500, though typically hit 9 on the flop and other guy made a set with his 77

Gav The Hamster
18-10-2006, 09:41 AM
Personally, when I play each day I set an immediate profit target of 2x the buy-in for the levels I play. I do this playing between 2 and 5 tables.

How can you play up to 5 tables ?? Considering you only have 30 seconds to act each time i'm assuming you would rarely bluff and fold marginal starting hands ?

How do you get tells on players when they are bluffing etc.. especially when you are playing against up to 30 at any one time ?

I'm just intrigued as in the past I've found 2 tables is enough of a struggle unless I look to play with only strongish hole cards and am not intending to try and bluff much.

citizen sane
18-10-2006, 10:00 AM
c_s - Looks like a typical Mike Matusow moment, of which I have had many.

:( I have no idea why it happens either .

I can sit there and a play a good game (when I'm concentrating) for hours on end and then throw it all away with one bit of random craziness .

citizen sane
18-10-2006, 10:03 AM

Don't play cash tables but when I was playing STT a lot I'd aim to be in the money in 3/5 games .

PoolKing
18-10-2006, 10:30 AM
How can you play up to 5 tables ?? Considering you only have 30 seconds to act each time i'm assuming you would rarely bluff and fold marginal starting hands ?

How do you get tells on players when they are bluffing etc.. especially when you are playing against up to 30 at any one time ?

When I first started playing I too found playing 2 tables difficult and hard to manage. Then, I started playing turbo tables where you only have 7 seconds to act instead of 30 and I suppose that helped me to speed up....when I started playing normal tables again, they felt slow. I just moved up the number of tables gradually and now I can do 5, though, sometimes you are rushed when you are active in multiple hands.

There are benefits to this such as I am less inclined to play junk and am less bored when playing. Marginal hands I can play but it depends on position and money in the pot....for example K9 suited, I would fold this hand in 1st position but may enter if on the button with two or three calls before me. As for bluffing, I don't bluff as much as I used to and it depends on what stakes I am playing....I generally increase bluffing the higher the stakes as you find that the players tend to be more willing to lay down hands.

It is still possible to get tells on players, each table has its own pace and when not involved in hands you can still follow what other players are doing and see the calls that are being made, etc.

DANCOO
18-10-2006, 02:49 PM
When I first started playing I too found playing 2 tables difficult and hard to manage. Then, I started playing turbo tables where you only have 7 seconds to act instead of 30 and I suppose that helped me to speed up....when I started playing normal tables again, they felt slow. I just moved up the number of tables gradually and now I can do 5, though, sometimes you are rushed when you are active in multiple hands.

There are benefits to this such as I am less inclined to play junk and am less bored when playing. Marginal hands I can play but it depends on position and money in the pot....for example K9 suited, I would fold this hand in 1st position but may enter if on the button with two or three calls before me. As for bluffing, I don't bluff as much as I used to and it depends on what stakes I am playing....I generally increase bluffing the higher the stakes as you find that the players tend to be more willing to lay down hands.

It is still possible to get tells on players, each table has its own pace and when not involved in hands you can still follow what other players are doing and see the calls that are being made, etc.

Reading that has almost convinced me to start playing cash games again, but I'm going to resist - it's just not a game that I excel at...saying that, I'm not excelling too much on the tournament tables either at the moment.

PoolKing
18-10-2006, 05:53 PM
Reading that has almost convinced me to start playing cash games again, but I'm going to resist - it's just not a game that I excel at...saying that, I'm not excelling too much on the tournament tables either at the moment.

Do you play MTTs, SNGs or both?

Zareba2003
18-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Does anyone here play at the Big Slick in Croydon? I just signed up for membership as me and a few mates might be going down to do the £10 Re-Buy tomorrow evening?

For those that have been there. What is it like? Nice place? Good service? Friendly to new players (not to the game but to the club)?

:p

PoolKing
18-10-2006, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Zareba2003
Does anyone here play at the Big Slick in Croydon?

Whereabouts in Croydon is this place?

budgie
18-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Its in the Purley Oaks, I've only been once, but its a nice place, very friendly.

Only problem with the £10 rebuys, is theres a lot of all in's on nothing, and just rebuying, but obviously they do hit sometimes, with very poor hands.

Zareba2003
18-10-2006, 06:31 PM
I just want to start playing in proper live games. Need to evolve from my Ultimate Bet online playing. It looks a nice place and its local so thought i'd give it a go :p

DANCOO
18-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Do you play MTTs, SNGs or both?

Only MTT's.

PoolKing
18-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Only MTT's.

Ok, I asked as you said you weren't excelling at tournaments recently. The thing with tournaments is that they will not give a steady stream of consistent income, it is likely to be big wins every so often with long spells of buy-ins and little or no return on your money, so it involves a lot of patience. Even if you are a good tournament player (as you definitely are) you will suffer dry periods where you do not get a significant payout for some time. I don't know if you have ever watched poker night live but there is a player called Mark Banin on it and he said in his worst spell he went 6 months without getting 'in the money' of a tournament :eek:

DANCOO
18-10-2006, 09:26 PM
Ok, I asked as you said you weren't excelling at tournaments recently. The thing with tournaments is that they will not give a steady stream of consistent income, it is likely to be big wins every so often with long spells of buy-ins and little or no return on your money, so it involves a lot of patience. Even if you are a good tournament player (as you definitely are) you will suffer dry periods where you do not get a significant payout for some time. I don't know if you have ever watched poker night live but there is a player called Mark Banin on it and he said in his worst spell he went 6 months without getting 'in the money' of a tournament :eek:

Yeah, it's difficult though, as you really have to have a lot of faith in your game.
Over the last three/four months, I have played very few tournaments, and in the first two/three of those months, I lost a lot of patience and was trying to rush things.
I've gone back to my original style, but am not really getting the cards (which you undoubtedly still need), but I'll stick with it and see how it goes.
You had any more good tournament wins since your biggy?

Strathclyde Eagle
18-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Poker Night Live = Quality TV when you're off work with flu. Repeated just as often as anything on VH1 as well.

David Amsalem
18-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Some sound advice on there today :p

PoolKing
18-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Yeah, it's difficult though, as you really have to have a lot of faith in your game.
Over the last three/four months, I have played very few tournaments, and in the first two/three of those months, I lost a lot of patience and was trying to rush things.
I've gone back to my original style, but am not really getting the cards (which you undoubtedly still need), but I'll stick with it and see how it goes.
You had any more good tournament wins since your biggy?

I definitely agree with you about patience, you know with a tournament you are going to be there a few hours to do well and there is no worse feeling than playing for so long and then getting knocked out just before placing in the money, especially if you are on a bad run and even more so if it is a bad beat.

Like you, I haven't played many tournaments lately. Since my big win 2 months ago I have only played about 7 tournaments and haven't won anything in any of them. I don't feel bothered enough/patient enough to sit down for a few hours as much and they have changed the format of my regular tournament (the 6.5k tourney at B365) to a rebuy one which means it would take even longer to complete:veryangry

PoolKing
18-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Poker Night Live = Quality TV when you're off work with flu. Repeated just as often as anything on VH1 as well.

I hardly ever watch it now but at the start it was very useful and the majority of presenters were knowledgeable and offered good advice but over time I think it has lost its way in trying to reach a wider audience.

saul1664
18-10-2006, 11:40 PM
just had a moment of madness. Playing perfectly in MTT, almost to second hour, comfortable in top 10 with 14,000 chips, get 77, raise to 3600, one caller all in, deliberate for ages, then call all-in he has 99, so lose almost all my chips

hanging on with 1.5K chips at moment guaranteed £17 :( but 1st was £534. Totally out of character as well, generally never push hard with mid pairs

saul1664
19-10-2006, 12:09 AM
6th in the end, my 875 chips held up with 10 10, then when I went all in with 3,000 chips with JJ got quads (that would have been tourney winner if I had all my chips was in 4 way). Not a single card after that, but a few others knocked themselves out for me and I got £89

RichieG
19-10-2006, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by saul1664
just had a moment of madness. Playing perfectly in MTT, almost to second hour, comfortable in top 10 with 14,000 chips, get 77, raise to 3600, one caller all in, deliberate for ages, then call all-in he has 99, so lose almost all my chips

Appreciate you said you don't usually do this, but it never ceases to amaze me how often players in MTT's and SNG's go hard with mid and low pairs. I'll generally just call and look to hit trips with anything less than 10's, and I'll always fold 7's and below to any significant pre-flop raise. They look nice pre-flop, but as soon as those overcards come down, they're generally worthless!

Jolly Eagle
19-10-2006, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Zareba2003
Does anyone here play at the Big Slick in Croydon? I just signed up for membership as me and a few mates might be going down to do the £10 Re-Buy tomorrow evening?

For those that have been there. What is it like? Nice place? Good service? Friendly to new players (not to the game but to the club)?

:p

Hi Zareba,

Been going BigSlick for about 3 months now. Havent got any complaints about the club its modern, nice birds serving drinks, very friendly to new members and you usually get a full house on a Friday night. The first prize is usually about £1,200 - £1,500. Stay clear of the cash tables unless you have got a few quid in your pocket to back up your bets. Ill be down there tomorrow with a few mates, good luck.

Son of Selhurst
19-10-2006, 03:26 PM
Last night. Small NL cash game. 6 players. I have $15 left. Get KJ suited in the BB. Two limpers. I call.

Flop comes J 7 4 rainbow

I raise half-pot. Early limper calls. Other guy folds.

10 on the Turn. Limper raises. I go all-in. He calls.

Turns over Q Q

River shows - a Jack !

Huzzah! I doubled up with some luck!

Just thought I'd post this as an antidote to all the bad beats that have been posted!

(Unless of course you were the one with QQ !)

Strathclyde Eagle
19-10-2006, 06:38 PM
:lux:

Deserves all he gets for slow-playing Queens that way.

Micky Spilane
19-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Last night. Small NL cash game. 6 players. I have $15 left. Get KJ suited in the BB. Two limpers. I call.

Flop comes J 7 4 rainbow

I raise half-pot. Early limper calls. Other guy folds.

10 on the Turn. Limper raises. I go all-in. He calls.

Turns over Q Q

River shows - a Jack !

Huzzah! I doubled up with some luck!

Just thought I'd post this as an antidote to all the bad beats that have been posted!

(Unless of course you were the one with QQ !)

Was that on Ladbrokes? :veryangry

Only joking! :p

saul1664
19-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Betfair are updating their server on 30th October. You can play 6 tables at once on the same screen, looks like it's going to be pretty good.

Micky Spilane
19-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Appreciate you said you don't usually do this, but it never ceases to amaze me how often players in MTT's and SNG's go hard with mid and low pairs. I'll generally just call and look to hit trips with anything less than 10's, and I'll always fold 7's and below to any significant pre-flop raise. They look nice pre-flop, but as soon as those overcards come down, they're generally worthless!

Totally agree low pairs are very tempting until you see the flop! Best just to call and like you say hopefully hit trips on the flop.

saul1664
19-10-2006, 07:26 PM
problem is when you get to this stage of MTT's unless you have a really big stack, you have to call or raise at least every 3-4 hands, so what do you actually wait for before playing

Micky Spilane
19-10-2006, 09:04 PM
problem is when you get to this stage of MTT's unless you have a really big stack, you have to call or raise at least every 3-4 hands, so what do you actually wait for before playing

Good point I was refering more to STT's I've only played a few MTT's most sucsessful being the first one I played 23rd of 668, quite pleased as I got $23.75 back when I thought only the top ten got paid!

I suppose there comes a time you would have to go with a lowish pair, but would there also be a few other players also in the same position? I suppose also you have to take into account at some point wether you're just going to hang in or go for the whole MTT.

saul1664
19-10-2006, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Micky Spilane
Good point I was refering more to STT's I've only played a few MTT's most sucsessful being the first one I played 23rd of 668, quite pleased as I got $23.75 back when I thought only the top ten got paid!

I suppose there comes a time you would have to go with a lowish pair, but would there also be a few other players also in the same position? I suppose also you have to take into account at some point wether you're just going to hang in or go for the whole MTT.

I do have a method that sees me more or less in the money in nearly every tourney. I tend to play for fairly low buy ins, about 140-170 players, seems to work for me.

saul1664
19-10-2006, 11:59 PM

proved by tourney today, hit 88, only have 3600 chips raised 1200 so fold, 3 players in flop 2 5 8, d'oh. Get down to 2000 chips, have to push all in with JQ, holds up against Q7, scramble into top 20. Down to 1600 chips, BB 800 hit 49, fold against 2 raises, they call with KA QA would have won with pairing 9 on board. No choice but all in on 875 chips with 5 10, 5 10 pair on the board, up to 4000 chips, then up to 13,000 after next hand K10 holds up. Very tight board and went down under the bubble for final table (though doubled buy in) when 77 got cracked by KA (K on flop). Still proves that any two cards can win. Probably best not to get down to 800 chips before testing that theory though

calne eagle
20-10-2006, 12:05 AM
proved by tourney today, hit 88, only have 3600 chips raised 1200 so fold, 3 players in flop 2 5 8, d'oh. Get down to 2000 chips, have to push all in with JQ, holds up against Q7, scramble into top 20. Down to 1600 chips, BB 800 hit 49, fold against 2 raises, they call with KA QA would have won with pairing 9 on board. No choice but all in on 875 chips with 5 10, 5 10 pair on the board, up to 4000 chips, then up to 13,000 after next hand K10 holds up. Very tight board and went down under the bubble for final table (though doubled buy in) when 77 got cracked by KA (K on flop). Still proves that any two cards can win. Probably best not to get down to 800 chips before testing that theory though

Jerry blighter pranged his kite in the briney. ;)

SamTheOldGoat
20-10-2006, 12:20 AM
Played in Big Slick, a nice club, good atmosphere and Tony Hakki is a top bloke. Brother plays there regularly, my brother scored a nice 700 win there this week :) Also the Full House in Reigate is a nice place to play

As to multi-ing, I will often play 10 tables at once on Pokerstars, full ring games and I will literally play the absolutes. Stops you playing junk and the fact you can resize tables on Pokerstars is excellent.

A friend multi's 5/10 on Party, up to 16 tables at once, his profit for the month of September was 104k..... SIK

Keele Eagle
20-10-2006, 12:21 AM
When u hit ur snowmen how many people before you had already called the raise of 1200, cos thats some good pot value and with so many players assumin they all have similar high cards, i would have fancied my chances, plus u cud reraise all in to get a couple of the others out and mite end up heads up, so less chance of sum1 hittin. But hindsights a great thing in poker!!

citizen sane
20-10-2006, 10:06 AM
I suppose also you have to take into account at some point wether you're just going to hang in or go for the whole MTT.

Unless you are getting consistently good cards , hanging on in an MTT is unlikely to get you to the final table , although it will generally get you close to the bubble ( unless your having one of them games where you get no cards at all )

I find the game easier to read near the money because most medium stacks will tighten up , so I'll tend to respect peoples raises a bit more ( unless its a consistently aggressive player ) The problem is that by hanging on unless you have a deepish stack you can be blinded away to the point that when you get in the money your in a position where your looking to go all-in with anything half decent and of course most players will have loosened up their play again , so your more likely to be called with someone holding lowish pairs , KJ , etc . Which will increase your chances of being run down by an inferior hand .

Personally I'll generally change gears close to the money and look to use my position to steal as often as possible . I'm not scared to bluff with all-in reraises at this point either if I sense weakness or if the board looks messy.

When your down to the final two tables is another good time to change gears as well I've found for the same reasons stated above .

saul1664
21-10-2006, 12:16 AM
Got my first royal flush. Before you all rush to congratulate me. It won me absolutely nothing, as it was it STT and finished 3rd, prize money for 1st and 2nd. D'oh!

SamTheOldGoat
21-10-2006, 09:56 AM
Had one on Interpoker, saw someone on my table on stars get one, saw someone on stars have four of a kind lose to four of a kind. No sort of jackpot, now had we been on PARTY, WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

DANCOO
21-10-2006, 10:05 AM
First time a got a Royal was on Ladbrokes. I think I only won about $20-$30 on the hand, but won a Royal Flush bonus from Ladbrokes with it which paid about $75.

SamTheOldGoat
21-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Dan, would you be interested in a private table, just 10 buy in or something?!?

Anyone else, can do it for Tuesday of this week maybe?!?!?

saul1664
21-10-2006, 12:05 PM
me

Micky Spilane
21-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Dan, would you be interested in a private table, just 10 buy in or something?!?

Anyone else, can do it for Tuesday of this week maybe?!?!?

If it's after 10 p.m. I'd be interested.

gooch1977
21-10-2006, 01:11 PM
does the original ladbrokes bbs tourney still run on a wednesday??

DANCOO
21-10-2006, 01:44 PM
Why don't we set up a small league to run over the course of six months, or a year?
Everyone pays maybe $50 to enter, top 2 or 3 get paid at the end.
Play maybe once every two weeks.
Gives a bit more incentive to play if there is a bigger prize at the end of it...or is $50 too much for some people? I just can't really get myself gee'd up enough to play the odd $10 STT.

Billyd
21-10-2006, 01:55 PM
im up for playing but im not playing for $50 as im a student and cant afford it. $10 is fine. By the way if its a stt i KNOW i will win. trust me.

Teddy
21-10-2006, 05:56 PM
Been reading this thread for a while, thought it's about time to get involved. Hit a bit of a landmark last night, after bout 2 months (not playing as regularly as I would like) I have turned my original $50 into $1000 on Stars. Feeling quite pleased with myself, I know it's not that much, but from small acorns and all that. Now I have a little bankroll to work with I can start trying to make myself some petty cash, once I set up t'internet in new flat. Just wondering what kind of bankrolls people on here are working with? Appreciate some people might not want to say, but just wondering.

Strathclyde Eagle
21-10-2006, 06:54 PM
Good going Teddy, that's pretty impressive.

DANCOO
21-10-2006, 07:17 PM

Woo Hoo.

My favourite tv programme is back on, and at a suitable time aswell.

High Stakes Poker, right now on Bravo 2.

EDIT : It's not as good as the previous showings as they sometimes edit out some of the starting play on each hand.

DANCOO
21-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Damn!

Won a $10 express qualifier to the Aussie Millions daily final.

26'ish players.

After the break there are two places for the weekly final tomorrow worth around $1,500 each, third place is $310.

Final table and I'm 8/10.

Stayed patient, and only played one poor hand, and that was when I raised in early/mid with a hand I never like playing - AJ.

One caller, A on the flop. He calls twice, and bets on the end. He hit two pair with AQ.

Stuck with it though and made the final three.

Me - 16,000, P1 - 22,000, P2 - 40,000

I push all-in with Q10s and get called by P1 holding K2o (he raised originally).
I hit a Q on the flop...he hits a K on the river.:bash:

Had I won that hand it would have more or less put me into the final.:rolleyes:

Still, $300 will boost the bankroll a little, and is my boggest win for around a month.:)

Teddy
22-10-2006, 09:41 AM
ARGHHHHHHHH, i knew i was ahead as the guy was tilting from a massive pot i won a couple of hands before. Been a while since someone has sucked out on me on the river like that. Spose it was gonna happen at some point.

Table 'Hudrus II' 9-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: Nuke-One ($60.25 in chips)
Seat 2: warren88 ($131.60 in chips)
Seat 3: Tedworth III ($206.20 in chips)
Seat 4: scrmlovr ($240.40 in chips)
Seat 5: MiamiMauler ($59.40 in chips)
Seat 6: hmann33 ($98 in chips)
Seat 7: piratepeaty ($134 in chips)
Seat 8: gmblpdam ($100.15 in chips)
Seat 9: maq2000 ($85.15 in chips)
MiamiMauler: posts small blind $0.50
hmann33: posts big blind $1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Tedworth III [Qs Qh]
piratepeaty: folds
gmblpdam: folds
maq2000: folds
Nuke-One: folds
warren88: folds
Tedworth III: raises $3 to $4
scrmlovr: folds
MiamiMauler: folds
hmann33: raises $94 to $98 and is all-in
Tedworth III: calls $94
*** FLOP *** [3c 4s 9s]
*** TURN *** [3c 4s 9s] [5h]
*** RIVER *** [3c 4s 9s 5h] [8c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
hmann33: shows [8s 8d] (three of a kind, Eights)
Tedworth III: mucks hand
hmann33 collected $193.50 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $196.50 | Rake $3
Board [3c 4s 9s 5h 8c]
Seat 1: Nuke-One folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: warren88 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: Tedworth III mucked [Qs Qh]
Seat 4: scrmlovr (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: MiamiMauler (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 6: hmann33 (big blind) showed [8s 8d] and won ($193.50) with three of a kind, Eights
Seat 7: piratepeaty folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: gmblpdam folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: maq2000 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

DANCOO
22-10-2006, 03:58 PM
I'm seeing Chris Ferguson more and more on TV at the moment for some reason. If I see him do one more 'fruit salad', I think I will go mad.

SamTheOldGoat
22-10-2006, 06:01 PM
High Stakes Poker 3 has just been recorded!

DANCOO
22-10-2006, 06:50 PM
High Stakes Poker 3 has just been recorded!

Which is the on they are showing at the moment - I think it's a repeat from earlier in the year when it was shown on, I think, Player.

Johnson
22-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Which is the on they are showing at the moment - I think it's a repeat from earlier in the year when it was shown on, I think, Player.

Season 3 will not be being screened at the moment on tv.

Not even sure if season 2 has been shown on tv in UK.

Season 2 is with Mike the Mouth, Phil Laak, Eric Lindgren, Gus Hansen + regulars from season 1.

I downloaded season 2 on torrent and watched it, superb viewing. Especially when they paid Mike The Mouth to stay and then he goes broke. :D Great viewing.

High Stakes Poker is the best poker program on tv, closely followed by the William Hill Grand Prix.

Big Patch
22-10-2006, 07:22 PM
Top thread. Recently got obssessed with this whole poker action. One thing I'm struggling to work out is how you work out the percentages on whether it is worthwhile continuing with your hand. I appreciate this probably isn't the easiest thing to explain over the computer but any help would be much appreciated

DANCOO
22-10-2006, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Johnson
Season 3 will not be being screened at the moment on tv.

Not even sure if season 2 has been shown on tv in UK.

Season 2 is with Mike the Mouth, Phil Laak, Eric Lindgren, Gus Hansen + regulars from season 1.

I downloaded season 2 on torrent and watched it, superb viewing. Especially when they paid Mike The Mouth to stay and then he goes broke. :D Great viewing.

High Stakes Poker is the best poker program on tv, closely followed by the William Hill Grand Prix.

Where can I get the torrent for season 2?

Johnson
22-10-2006, 07:50 PM
The third season of GSN’s highly popular High Stakes Poker was filmed on October 11-12 at the South Pointe Casino in Las Vegas. The first episode is scheduled to air on GSN on January 15, 2007 at 9:00 p.m. Players participating include the following:

Returning from previous seasons:

Daniel Negreanu
Antonio Esfandiari
Phil Laak
Mike Matusow
Daniel Alaei
Sam Farha
Shawn Sheikhan
Doyle Brunson
Jennifer Harman
Erick Lindgren
Eli Elezra
Barry Greenstein
Brad Booth
Todd Brunson

New pros:

David Williams
Bill Chen
Victor Ramdin
John D’Agostino
Paul Wasicka
David Benyamine
Chris Ferguson
Phil Ivey
Jamie Gold
Gabe Kaplan
Patrik Antonius

New amateurs, semi-pros, and Internet players:

Illya Trincher
Dan Harmetz
Daniel Shak
Brian Townsend

Johnson
22-10-2006, 07:54 PM
Where can I get the torrent for season 2?

There are a couple of places like mini nova, etc.

However I get all my poker torrents from http://thepokerbay.org/

Just sign up, as they are accepting new sign ups now and then search high stakes poker.

saul1664
22-10-2006, 09:57 PM
called all in with AQ on flop with flush draw, already pot committed so call all in AQ plays AQ plays J10 turn nothing, river completes flush, unfortunately I have Q he has A

SamTheOldGoat
22-10-2006, 10:15 PM

Nope, literally just finished it, see Negreanus blog for further info on how the games go.....

aba20 from high stakes on stars plays, sik sik player

DANCOO
22-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Nope, literally just finished it, see Negreanus blog for further info on how the games go.....

aba20 from high stakes on stars plays, sik sik player

Negreanu is probably my favourite player, but I was always most impressed with Sam Farha's play.

DANCOO
22-10-2006, 10:23 PM
There are a couple of places like mini nova, etc.

However I get all my poker torrents from http://thepokerbay.org/

Just sign up, as they are accepting new sign ups now and then search high stakes poker.

Logged on to that site.

Firstly, I have never been able to get the hang of torrents, I can never seem to get them to work.
Secondly, they didn't have any of the first five programmes live anymore.

DANCOO
22-10-2006, 11:34 PM
Infuriating.:grrr:

Just knocked out of tourney, top 20 get paid, I'm 3/20.

UTG goes all-in, I'm next with 10 10. I call. Up against AK, I lose.

Puts me down to about 14.

Few hands later I get JJ. Small raise before me, I push all-in.

Get called by A 10.

10 on the flop, 10 on the turn!

I go out in 17th.

I've gone back to my original style and am slowly getting results, it just f*cks me off how mant idiots you get who'll play any two cards.
Which is the reason I withdrew my money from BET365.
Poolking, I don't know how on earth you can stand to play touraments on that site?
Absolutely ridiculous.
If you want to stand a decent chance of getting anywhere on those tourneys, you either play very very tight and hope to get very very lucky, or be prepared to keep rebuying and keep on putting your chips in with marginal hands and hope you can double up a couple of times before the break.

saul1664
22-10-2006, 11:39 PM
and again, short handed tourney

fairly low on chips after 1st break

1st hand QQ

All in

Come up against A 10

rag rag rag rag

10 second delay before river

A

oz_da II
23-10-2006, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by Big Patch
Top thread. Recently got obssessed with this whole poker action. One thing I'm struggling to work out is how you work out the percentages on whether it is worthwhile continuing with your hand. I appreciate this probably isn't the easiest thing to explain over the computer but any help would be much appreciated

After the flop

Determine number of cards that will better your hand (outs). Multiply that number by 4.

example: 8 outs = 32% chance of "bettering" your hand.

After the turn
Determine your number of outs. Multiply that number by 2.

example: 8 outs = 16% chance of "bettering" your hand.

There percentages are not exactly the correct figures but near enough.

oz_da II
23-10-2006, 03:37 AM
I've gone back to my original style and am slowly getting results, it just f*cks me off how mant idiots you get who'll play any two cards.
Which is the reason I withdrew my money from BET365.
Poolking, I don't know how on earth you can stand to play touraments on that site?
Absolutely ridiculous.

I know all about bad beats but surely, in a very high percentage of cases, playing against these idiots is the easiest way to accumulate chips.

I mainly play cash games on bet365 and am accumulating a nice little bankroll off these idiots. Ready to move up stakes. Highlight of last night was winning a hand with queen high.

QcJc
Flop : Tc 9c x
Turn : x
River: x

I was in position and fired away at every opportunity with him check/calling. He calls river, I flip them over and he mucks. **** knows what he had.

DANCOO
23-10-2006, 09:27 AM
I know all about bad beats but surely, in a very high percentage of cases, playing against these idiots is the easiest way to accumulate chips.

You'd think.

Nearly every tourney I have played on BET365 has had people pushing all-in constantly with several callers all the way to the break.
It's not ALWAYS like that as sometimes you can get quite a placid table, but yesterday was another example of the muppetry.

Blinds 15/30
I'm BB holding AQ, there are five limpers.
I raise it up to 220.
First player calls, second player calls...eventually everyone is getting pot odds to call - which was not the intention of the first caller.
Can't remember what fell, but of the two players who fought it out on the river, the first caller had Q3o, the other person had something like 10 6o. And won with a pair of 6's.
Now on Ladbrokes, even on re-buys, you would get a maximum of two people prepared to do that, but generally you wouldn't even get one.
I'm not saying it is better...no, actually I am.:)
There is no skill whatsoever in just chucking chips in the middle of the table and hoping to hit, Ladbrokes players seem to 'play' more.

oz_da II
23-10-2006, 09:45 AM
There is no skill whatsoever in just chucking chips in the middle of the table and hoping to hit, Ladbrokes players seem to 'play' more.

Very true.

An example happened at this year's WSOP Main Event (watched it last week on TV). First day and Negreanu has a good hand (high suited connectors or something) so he raises. A clown after him goes all in. A ridiculous amount for what was in the pot (can't remember what he had). Negreanu folds with a confused look on his face and asks, "Why'd you do that for?" The idiot replies, "That's poker..." Negreanu bursts out laughing, shaking his head and says, "No it's not, oh no it isn't."

SamTheOldGoat
23-10-2006, 10:38 AM

I mainly play cash games on bet365 and am accumulating a nice little bankroll off these idiots. Ready to move up stakes. Highlight of last night was winning a hand with queen high.

QcJc
Flop : Tc 9c x
Turn : x
River: x

I was in position and fired away at every opportunity with him check/calling. He calls river, I flip them over and he mucks. **** knows what he had.

78cc??

Strathclyde Eagle
23-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Very true.

An example happened at this year's WSOP Main Event (watched it last week on TV). First day and Negreanu has a good hand (high suited connectors or something) so he raises. A clown after him goes all in. A ridiculous amount for what was in the pot (can't remember what he had). Negreanu folds with a confused look on his face and asks, "Why'd you do that for?" The idiot replies, "That's poker..." Negreanu bursts out laughing, shaking his head and says, "No it's not, oh no it isn't."
One of the reasons I liked Negreanu, he seems like a gent at the table, regardless of whether he's winning or losing.

In regards to idiots, I think a greater number of looser players seem to come from Scandinivia. That's why I now sign up to new sites with Scandinivian-esque usernames. :cool:

DANCOO
23-10-2006, 06:00 PM
[B]One of the reasons I liked Negreanu, he seems like a gent at the table, regardless of whether he's winning or losing.
/B]

That is exactly why I like him so much, he comes across as being very genuine.

Micky Spilane
23-10-2006, 06:38 PM
Kill the Scandis!

KevTheOptimist
23-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Isn't B365 and Laddies the same network and so same players?

Probably wrong. Also can anyone tell me what time and days High Stakes POker is on?

PoolKing
23-10-2006, 06:55 PM
Isn't B365 and Laddies the same network and so same players?

They use the same software but are not on the same network. Bet365 is part of the Prima Poker Network and I am not sure what Ladbrokes is on though I believe it is independent.

PoolKing
23-10-2006, 06:58 PM

Nearly every tourney I have played on BET365 has had people pushing all-in constantly with several callers all the way to the break.
It's not ALWAYS like that as sometimes you can get quite a placid table, but yesterday was another example of the muppetry.

I haven't played any tournaments for ages so can't say whether things have changed but I have never played against outright muppets like you describe. I always play tight in the first hour or so and usually most of the muppets exit though inevitably some stay in against all the odds.

What sort of buy-ins are you playing? That might have something to do with it.

Johnson
23-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Logged on to that site.

Firstly, I have never been able to get the hang of torrents, I can never seem to get them to work.
Secondly, they didn't have any of the first five programmes live anymore.

http://dc.flamevault.com:6969/

http://www.mininova.org/search/High+Stakes+Poker+/added

http://www.thepokerbay.org/browse.php?search=High+Stakes+Poker&cat=0

You should be able to get all the episodes of series 2 from the above websites.

To get the torrent to work, you firstly need to download a torrent client, e.g. Utorrent, you then save the torrent file from one of the above websites. You then open the file, which should open throught the torrent client, you then choose where to save the file and the file will then proceed to download, it can take quite a long time, depending on the amounts of seeds.

:) :p

Johnson
23-10-2006, 07:09 PM
That is exactly why I like him so much, he comes across as being very genuine.

Agree.

Wait to you see series 2 of High Stakes Poker, he nearly loses it a couple of times, due to horrible bad beats.

In the 2nd series he also winds Mike the mouth up beautifully. :D

SamTheOldGoat
23-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Oh my days, pretty sure it's series two where he loses 3's full to quads, it's sick and about 400k or something I think?!?

All available from YOUTUBE too :)

SamTheOldGoat
23-10-2006, 07:21 PM
Also, anyone play other games, hitting up Omaha P/L at the mo, no joke, according to stats, seen 22 hands, seen a total of 21/22 flops, and made over 100 bucks at 0.10c/0.25c!

Possibly THE best way to build a roll, the fish are MONSTROUS!

KevTheOptimist
23-10-2006, 07:21 PM
You got a youtube link sir?

SamTheOldGoat
23-10-2006, 07:23 PM
Of which one mate?

Johnson
23-10-2006, 07:25 PM
Oh my days, pretty sure it's series two where he loses 3's full to quads, it's sick and about 400k or something I think?!?

Yes brutal.

Hansen had a 1 outer and hit and Kid Poker paid him off.

Cruel.

KevTheOptimist
23-10-2006, 07:26 PM
Of which one mate? Season 2, episode 1 would be grand...I can't find the full episode

DANCOO
23-10-2006, 07:43 PM
All replies welcome.

Just played a hand in a tourney, and I got some grief from a player who generally does quite well (high leaderboard position), and I think I played it correctly - he thought differtently. For the purpose of this hand, we shall call him 'Villain' - which I believe is the term generally used.

Blinds 75/150. I have around 4500, Villain has around 6000

I'm in mid/late position with Ah Ad

Villain raises to 400 from UTG.

I reraise to 1200

Villain calls - everyone else folds.

Flop comes down 10c 8c 7s

Villain checks to me, I bet 2000 (into a 2625 pot).

Villain then says 'FFS, I know you've got AA, but I just don't give a ••••', then procedes to push all-in.

I call, and Villain shows J J

I win the pot.

Villain then goes on a rant about 'Why the f*ck did you play your A's like that'.
Now, Villain is a good player who, as I have already stated, does well in tournaments.
So, after I gave him some stick back (much to the amusement of another player who just had her AA crakced by him - with JJ of all hands), I decide to analyse how I played the hand and see if I could have played it any better/differently.

Analysis : He made a standard sort of raise, but raising UTG shows strength. I don't want anyone else in the hand and figure that he is probably strong enough to call the reraise. Flop brings two to a flush, and three to a straight - I definately don't want him to draw out on me cheaply so make him pay for his draw.

I can't see too much wrong, if anything, with what I did, can anyone else?

SamTheOldGoat
23-10-2006, 07:48 PM
You've done NOTHING wrong, and EVERYTHING right... someones bitter

SamTheOldGoat
23-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Playing two tables now.... check this shizzle, SICKO!

I haven't played SNG's or MTT's for nearly 6 months now, I find cash easier to come by and don't fair too well in STT's etc, opposite to you Dancoo?

PokerStars Game #6741358965: Omaha Pot Limit ($0.10/$0.25) - 2006/10/23 - 15:43:31 (ET)
Table 'Thebe III' 9-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 2: B_Marvel ($30.80 in chips)
Seat 3: Titus818 ($9.75 in chips)
Seat 4: stem99 ($17.45 in chips)
Seat 5: GoatFaceSam ($35.40 in chips)
Seat 6: TheDon241 ($46.60 in chips)
Seat 7: hirollerdom ($14.40 in chips)
Seat 8: Gladys67 ($38.50 in chips)
Seat 9: demetrism ($6.20 in chips)
hirollerdom: posts small blind $0.10
Gladys67: posts big blind $0.25
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to GoatFaceSam [6c Ad Ah Kc]
RickErco2004 leaves the table
demetrism: folds
B_Marvel: folds
Titus818: calls $0.25
stem99: folds
GoatFaceSam: raises $0.85 to $1.10
TheDon241: calls $1.10
hirollerdom: folds
Gladys67: folds
Titus818: calls $0.85
*** FLOP *** [Ks Th 5d]
Titus818: checks
GoatFaceSam: bets $3.50
TheDon241: calls $3.50
kipperrs joins the table at seat #1
Titus818: folds
*** TURN *** [Ks Th 5d] [As]
GoatFaceSam: bets $10.15
TheDon241: raises $30.45 to $40.60
GoatFaceSam: calls $20.65 and is all-in
*** RIVER *** [Ks Th 5d As] [2c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
GoatFaceSam: shows [6c Ad Ah Kc] (three of a kind, Aces)
TheDon241: shows [Jd 8d 2d Qd] (a straight, Ten to Ace)
TheDon241 collected $69.25 from pot
kipperrs leaves the table
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $72.25 | Rake $3
Board [Ks Th 5d As 2c]
Seat 2: B_Marvel folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: Titus818 folded on the Flop
Seat 4: stem99 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: GoatFaceSam showed [6c Ad Ah Kc] and lost with three of a kind, Aces
Seat 6: TheDon241 (button) showed [Jd 8d 2d Qd] and won ($69.25) with a straight, Ten to Ace
Seat 7: hirollerdom (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: Gladys67 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 9: demetrism folded before Flop (didn't bet)

KevTheOptimist
23-10-2006, 07:50 PM
I like that play Dan, I'm a big fan of getting your raises in with AA, especially when raised to you.

When I get raised with A's I'll defo re raise strong knowing there is a good chance of a call and when the pots big then a big raise on flop can draw a call too.

SamTheOldGoat
23-10-2006, 07:51 PM
Maybe I shouldn't have called his reraise, nm! Out onto the town with fresher chicks, weeeeeeeeee

SamTheOldGoat
23-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Indeed, I will always OVERRAISE with AA!

DANCOO
23-10-2006, 08:00 PM
You've done NOTHING wrong, and EVERYTHING right... someones bitter

Yes, I think so aswell, just wondering really how someone might have played it differently.

Regarding Omaha, I've been thinking about trying my hand at that aswell.

Micky Spilane
23-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Yes, I think so aswell, just wondering really how someone might have played it differently.

Regarding Omaha, I've been thinking about trying my hand at that aswell.

Seems to me you played well, there has been a fair bit of discussion as to how you play pocket rockets and the general concensus is to play aggressive pre-flop. Also if you have a middle-ish pair not to bet too strongly as once the flop goes down you are then susceptable to over cards. Seems to me Villain was the one who played badly.

I shan't be trying Omaha for a while as I'm just starting to find some regular success on Texas NL Hold 'em STT's, starting from low bankrole Saturday before last I have 6x my bankrole, not making mega money yet but really starting to enjoy myself. A lot of my recent success I feel is directly linked to reading the advice on these pages. Thanks.

David Amsalem
23-10-2006, 08:43 PM
You played the Aces right. The fact that Villian put you on Aces and still called is a very poor play. You cannot even argue that he was paying for the information as it was so expensive.

He shows the two extreams of a poker player. The positive was a fantastic read, but the negative was being unable to fold a pocket pair.

Strathclyde Eagle
23-10-2006, 08:44 PM

Mentioned a few times on this thread. Sixes full beaten by quad 5s. Hand can be seen here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k8mdvx0RWM).

Series 2 episode 11 I think. I've downloaded the torrent and need to sort out the .rar files it came in.

DANCOO
23-10-2006, 08:50 PM
http://dc.flamevault.com:6969/

http://www.mininova.org/search/High+Stakes+Poker+/added

http://www.thepokerbay.org/browse.php?search=High+Stakes+Poker&cat=0

You should be able to get all the episodes of series 2 from the above websites.

To get the torrent to work, you firstly need to download a torrent client, e.g. Utorrent, you then save the torrent file from one of the above websites. You then open the file, which should open throught the torrent client, you then choose where to save the file and the file will then proceed to download, it can take quite a long time, depending on the amounts of seeds.

:) :p

Nice one:p

I shall get on to it right away.

Strathclyde Eagle
23-10-2006, 09:08 PM
Found an interesting article by Negreanu on that hand as well:
http://www.cardplayer.com/magazine/article/15687

saul1664
23-10-2006, 10:41 PM
This is truly shocking

Have dominated tourney from start to finish, never out of top 3, had 38,000 chips, level 12, just before break, have a good few hands have some bad beats, down to about 20K, get KK, blinds 600/1200, lots of flat calls from 5 players, so go all-in, get called by JA, flop hits with a J and on the turn, stack decimated, from 38000 chips to 945 in 10 minutes, recovered to 6,000, now sitting 11 out of 11, instead of 1st prize of £420, looks like I'm going to pick up £14

saul1664
23-10-2006, 10:44 PM
and out of tourney on the bubble of top 10, dominated by 37 offsuit

DANCOO
24-10-2006, 10:36 PM
SICK!

$100 Daddy Crapshoot. 84 entrants.

Halfway stage, I'm leading.

Get an all-in call from JJ against my AA.

Would have made me a huge chip leader.

J hits the river.

Struggling a little from there on, and I evetually bubble.:sob:

DANCOO
25-10-2006, 01:29 AM
Well, I've got over my disappointment of going out in the bubble of the $100 Daddy Crapshoot by winning the $3,000 GTD.
I've only really started concentrating again on my play the last week or two, and I'm starting to really get things together. I've made some great calls recently, and some great lay downs. But where my play has improved most of all is my timing.
I'm also really pleased with my HU game on final tables - I think I'm 4/5 (although it may be 3/5).
Still not quite doing it in the big tournies again, but I'm getting there.

http://img309.imageshack.us/img309/3918/untitledac0.gif

http://img309.imageshack.us/img309/3918/untitledac0.gif

I had been playing very aggressively when there were four of us left, as I had just taken two people out - button bluffed all-in with 9 10, SB called with KK...I called with AA, AND THEY HELD UP :eek:

When it got to HU we both had around 190,000. I flopped 77.
As I had been raising a lot, and playing passively when I flat called, I knew that a flat call would get a raise. I was right - he went all-in, although to be fair he had a monster HU hand.
I called with my 77, he had AK.
77 held up, and that was that. :D
Not bad considering I got outdrawn when there were nine of us left leaving me with 8,000 when blinds were 1,500/3,000.
I pushed all-in from the SB with Q8o, and got called by the BB with AK. My Q hit and I worked my way up from there.:)

SamTheOldGoat
25-10-2006, 01:56 AM
Nice score Sir, you pwn!

Number Six
25-10-2006, 12:31 PM
I thought this might be interesting to relate but as I've said earlier in the thread, I'm a novice (thanks again for all the helpful inputs) so I'm not sure just how unusual this will appear to more experienced players........I was in a hand yesterday. Was BB with 9,T offsuit. All folded except 1 other who just called. If he had raised, I would have folded there and then with a pretty nothing hand but as it was it was costing me nothing to see the flop.

Anyway, flop comes up 6,6,9. So I bet to see what he might have. He calls. Turn comes down another 9. I hold trips now, so bet. He calls again. River comes down - another 9! I hold a nuts hand, quad 9s! I bet, he raises, I reraise and so on a few times.

When we show, he has 6,6,6,6!!

Well I suppose I can see why he slow played having hit quads on the flop, but he must have been a bit worried when 9,9,9 was on the board.

The way I look at it, after the flop the only way I could win was if the 9s fell on both the turn and river = 2/47 * 1/46 = 1081 to 1 odds.

Poor bloke must have been gutted. Still, doubtless something similar will bite me in the future......

How often do you see quads beaten?

oz_da II
25-10-2006, 12:53 PM
As posted a few weeks ago, I had my quad 8's beaten by a royal flush.

Roughly 25,000,000 to 1 (there is a site somewhere that shows the probabilities of losing each quad). A good hand to lose if you are playing on a progressive bad beat table.

DANCOO
25-10-2006, 01:13 PM
I thought this might be interesting to relate but as I've said earlier in the thread, I'm a novice (thanks again for all the helpful inputs) so I'm not sure just how unusual this will appear to more experienced players........I was in a hand yesterday. Was BB with 9,T offsuit. All folded except 1 other who just called. If he had raised, I would have folded there and then with a pretty nothing hand but as it was it was costing me nothing to see the flop.

Anyway, flop comes up 6,6,9. So I bet to see what he might have. He calls. Turn comes down another 9. I hold trips now, so bet. He calls again. River comes down - another 9! I hold a nuts hand, quad 9s! I bet, he raises, I reraise and so on a few times.

When we show, he has 6,6,6,6!!

Well I suppose I can see why he slow played having hit quads on the flop, but he must have been a bit worried when 9,9,9 was on the board.

The way I look at it, after the flop the only way I could win was if the 9s fell on both the turn and river = 2/47 * 1/46 = 1081 to 1 odds.

Poor bloke must have been gutted. Still, doubtless something similar will bite me in the future......

How often do you see quads beaten?

You had a boat on the turn, not trips.

Real bad beat for the dude holding 66. Saying that, I've had a straight flush beaten by a higher straight flush - can't remember if I was ever leading or not though.

Strathclyde Eagle
25-10-2006, 01:25 PM
As posted a few weeks ago, I had my quad 8's beaten by a royal flush.

Roughly 25,000,000 to 1 (there is a site somewhere that shows the probabilities of losing each quad). A good hand to lose if you are playing on a progressive bad beat table.
I looked at the T & Cs on one site (Prima affiliate I believe) regarding their bad beat tables. In their view quad Jacks or better had to be the losing hand. :eek:

DANCOO
25-10-2006, 03:12 PM
I looked at the T & Cs on one site (Prima affiliate I believe) regarding their bad beat tables. In their view quad Jacks or better had to be the losing hand. :eek:

Probably with both players needing to use both hole cards aswell.

SamTheOldGoat
25-10-2006, 03:15 PM
Yup, think most have 10 or better, saw quads lose to quads on Stars the other day, can't remember what the odds are of this.

Also killed some guy playign cash with top end straight flush v low end straight flush.......

Number 6. He's never going to pass though is he, well I'm pretty sure I wouldnt have unless I was pretty deep in a MTT! Playing cash no way.

Last night,

Player A: AK
Player B: 66

Flop AAK

Player A pushes and B calls, turn 6, river 6!

BLEUGH!

And this is on mid stakes cash too, no donkament! Not sure how 66 called the shove but maybe it was a voice from teh poker Gods!

Off to Dublin tomorrow to support my friend whose playing EPT Dublin, he got through in a 700 dollar MTT. Going to be a superb time I feel!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Strathclyde Eagle
25-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Probably with both players needing to use both hole cards aswell.
Good point.
Off to Dublin tomorrow to support my friend whose playing EPT Dublin, he got through in a 700 dollar MTT. Going to be a superb time I feel!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Did he pay $700 to enter a MTT satellite - have I got that right? You'd like to think there weren't many entrants to get past for such a high entry fee.

SamTheOldGoat
25-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Yup, package is worth about $8k I think, obv hotel, flights etc.

$700 to enter, about 120 runners, 7 got a seat, or something similar to that

SamTheOldGoat
25-10-2006, 03:45 PM
I lie, it was $650 or so and a few less runners....

citizen sane
25-10-2006, 06:59 PM

I can't see too much wrong, if anything, with what I did, can anyone else?

Nope , you had to reraise pre-flop in that position , if you had flat called it might have given someone else the pot odds to limp in , a smaller raise would have looked suspicious .

Post-flop you had to get rid of him by raising hard , that flop was too messy to slow play with .

Unless you have a good read though JJ is hard to lay down post-flop if the board has no over cards . The fact he guessed right and still went all-in is very suprising though , especially if he's a good player like you said and would have known he wasn't getting the right odds to call .

Congrats on your win as well :p

Btw , how do you do them screen shots you pt up here ?

DANCOO
25-10-2006, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by citizen sane
Nope , you had to reraise pre-flop in that position , if you had flat called it might have given someone else the pot odds to limp in , a smaller raise would have looked suspicious .

Post-flop you had to get rid of him by raising hard , that flop was too messy to slow play with .

Unless you have a good read though JJ is hard to lay down post-flop if the board has no over cards . The fact he guessed right and still went all-in is very suprising though , especially if he's a good player like you said and would have known he wasn't getting the right odds to call .

That's pretty much what I think.
I would actually like someone to try and make a case for me playing it wrong, but I just don't think it can be done.

Congrats on your win as well :p

Cheers, it's been a long time coming.

Btw , how do you do them screen shots you pt up here ?

Make sure you are whatever screen you want to be on (sometimes the blue header is greyed out, so you are not on the actual screen you think you are on), and just press ALT & Prnt Scrn.
It will save it as an image, just go to MS Paint and paste.
I then save the image as a .gif file and load it into Imageshack (http://imageshack.us/) and then link post the link to it in the [IMG] tags.:p

citizen sane
26-10-2006, 08:42 AM

Make sure you are whatever screen you want to be on (sometimes the blue header is greyed out, so you are not on the actual screen you think you are on), and just press ALT & Prnt Scrn.
It will save it as an image, just go to MS Paint and paste.
I then save the image as a .gif file and load it into Imageshack (http://imageshack.us/) and then link post the link to it in the [IMG] tags.:p

Cheers Dan :p

citizen sane
26-10-2006, 11:03 AM
Just played a very frustrating tournie on lads .

Got some really nice cards in the first hour . AA twice , QQ , AK twice .

Thing is it was a loose table but everytime I wanted action no one obliged .

Even mixed up my play to give a looser table image and played a lot more hands than usual but still no joy :(

Hit the nut flush after the break and finally got some action only to be bust out by someone hitting a boat on the river :bash:

RichieG
26-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Had my Aces cracked by 88 in a $10 SNG last night, Villian raises about 150 under the gun, I re-raise to 500, he re-raises to 700, I go all in (about 1800) and get called, ideal pre-flop situation, 8 on the bl00dy flop!

I know it happens, but it's still horrid. Particularly when the caller has 88 and really should have just folded to the first raise!

As I said on the previous page I just can't believe how excited some players get about middle pocket pairs.

:veryangry

DANCOO
26-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Had my Aces cracked by 88 in a $10 SNG last night, Villian raises about 150 under the gun, I re-raise to 500, he re-raises to 700, I go all in (about 1800) and get called, ideal pre-flop situation, 8 on the bl00dy flop!

I know it happens, but it's still horrid. Particularly when the caller has 88 and really should have just folded to the first raise!

As I said on the previous page I just can't believe how excited some players get about middle pocket pairs.

:veryangry

I think playing online, mid pp's can be a strong hand. I constantly see people going all in with 33, 55, AK, AQ, AJ, A10, KQs etc...
Generally I find, a big re-raise indicates strength, an all-in re-raise indicates AK or AQ.

SamTheOldGoat
26-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Indeed, he could well have put you on AK, so many people overrate that hand and if that's the case, your off to the races, I think 88pushing ISN'T a bad move in a $10 sng however deep in a Sunday night comp, you've got to lay it!

RichieG
26-10-2006, 01:26 PM
88 pushing not terrible in an unopened pot, but calling a push with it? I'd be laying that down unless it was about 3 handed.

However the point you make re: AK/AQ etc. is a good one, it's one of the real difficulties of online play, the utter maniacs out there just make everyone's calling requirements that bit lower, and it's real difficult to put people on the right hand!

Still, I'm just bitter, I'll just have to sit back and think of all the times I've sucked out on people!

oz_da II
27-10-2006, 07:56 AM
Had pocket Kings cracked by 7-2 last night (playing limit).
Standard raise pre-flop, get 3 callers.
Nothing of note on the flop. One bloke (maniac) bets in front of me. I know he'll call my raise so I raise, he calls other two fold.
2 on the turn, nothing of note on the board. He checks, I bet, he raises.. Thinking he possibly might have trips or possibly two pair I call.
River, nothing of note. He bets, I call.

Shows 7-2 and two pair!!!

I ask if he always calls raises with 2-7 and he replies, "They were suited"
Unbelievable...

SamTheOldGoat
27-10-2006, 05:32 PM
What limits?

DANCOO
27-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Also, anyone play other games, hitting up Omaha P/L at the mo, no joke, according to stats, seen 22 hands, seen a total of 21/22 flops, and made over 100 bucks at 0.10c/0.25c!

Possibly THE best way to build a roll, the fish are MONSTROUS!

Been giving Omaha a go the last couple of days.

Lost a few ;) $'s on the first days play, but soon figured out the difference between a good Hold em hand and a good Omaha hand :D

Never thought I would flat call pre-flop holding AA, and then toss them away post flop without even blinking (I know not raising with AA is generally not considered a good play, but there's a brilliant chapter on Ohama in SS2, I'm largely going on the advice in there).:p

oz_da II
27-10-2006, 11:32 PM
What limits?

0.50/1.00 :moo:

DANCOO
27-10-2006, 11:55 PM
UNF*CKING REAL.:veryangry :veryangry

Playing really solid on the Omaha tables, and within two hands I get wiped out by people calling from well behind and hitting.

••••••• twats.

SamTheOldGoat
28-10-2006, 01:44 AM
:lol, it's horrible isn't it!

Played 5 Omaha Hi Lo 10 seated tournies today.

Won-2
Second-1
Third-2

I swear it's THE most profitable game on the net!

KevTheOptimist
28-10-2006, 06:47 AM
For those of you that play omaha, can you recommend any strategy sites? Or even better list up your starting hand requirements or personal strategy?

DANCOO
28-10-2006, 09:42 AM
:lol, it's horrible isn't it!

Won-2
Second-1
Third-2

Not tried Hi Lo yet, just High.

Where I said before that I only flat call with AA, I didn't on this one occasion. I had flat called, but then it was raised to the max further round. When it came back round to me I was able to re-raise the max pushing everyone out except for two callers - the original raiser, and the player who muffed me earlier.
Flop comes something like 10c 5s 6c. I push all in (about half the pot), both players call. Original muffer lost, but I got beaten by the original raiser who hit his gut shot straight on the river. His starting hand - all rags (and I mean ALL rags, something like rainbow 2 8 9 K):veryangry

DANCOO
28-10-2006, 09:55 AM
For those of you that play omaha, can you recommend any strategy sites? Or even better list up your starting hand requirements or personal strategy?

Tips & Starting Hand Requirements (http://www.pokersyte.com/omaha_holdem_poker.htm)

SamTheOldGoat
28-10-2006, 10:57 AM
Not tried Hi Lo yet, just High.

Where I said before that I only flat call with AA, I didn't on this one occasion. I had flat called, but then it was raised to the max further round. When it came back round to me I was able to re-raise the max pushing everyone out except for two callers - the original raiser, and the player who muffed me earlier.
Flop comes something like 10c 5s 6c. I push all in (about half the pot), both players call. Original muffer lost, but I got beaten by the original raiser who hit his gut shot straight on the river. His starting hand - all rags (and I mean ALL rags, something like rainbow 2 8 9 K):veryangry

BLEUGH

citizen sane
28-10-2006, 11:05 AM

Won-2
Second-1
Third-2

I might have to give this a proper go on the low stakes tables .

I've only played it once before by mistake ( not looking properly when I clicked on a STT ) Had no idea what what going on and lasted about 5 hands :confused:

I guess that puts me in the fish category you mentioned earlier :D

SamTheOldGoat
28-10-2006, 01:02 PM
:lol, let me know how you get on cs!

DANCOO
28-10-2006, 02:04 PM
I might have to give this a proper go on the low stakes tables .

I think it makes a nice change.

I was playing cash Omaha and a Hold'em touney at the same time yesterday - have to try and split your brain in two to do that :moo:

Reps AJ
28-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Hehehe, playing limit and accidentally re-raised the button from the BB holding Q9o when I was trying to click fold. He re-raise back but it was only $1 to call so I did. Ended up with 2 pair to crack his AA - he must hate me now :D

SamTheOldGoat
28-10-2006, 02:58 PM
PMSL! I love minimum raises with AA, I'm not joking, I'll always call in position, and when you crunch it with 72 os it's SWEEET!

Would anyone be interested in playing some low limit cash on a private table tonight, nothing big, 10, 25c blinds etc......

citizen sane
28-10-2006, 06:48 PM
:lol, let me know how you get on cs!

Will do :p

citizen sane
28-10-2006, 06:49 PM
I think it makes a nice change.

Is it worth reading the section on it in SS2 ?

DANCOO
28-10-2006, 07:50 PM
UNBELIEVABLE

Never will I see this happen again...and it happened to me!

UNREAL.

I'm BB in a tourney with around 1,500 chips with blinds 75/150

I'm dealt AsQs

SB with just under the same as me raises to 300.
I re-raise all-in.

Nearly times out, and he calls...he shows AA.

I'm just about to mug him off for slow rolling when the following happened...

are you ready....

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/5679/poker2af4.gif
http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/5679/poker2af4.gif

:D :D :D :lux:

I've seen a Royal flopped before (I think my club royal I flopped aswell), but never up against AA.:D

I have now had one of each suit of Royal Flush.:p :lux:

BTW, the bloke then said he was about to apologise for slow rolling as he was watching the football, but when he saw what happened he didn't bother.

Son of Selhurst
28-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Very nice, Dancoo.

Last night I was watching the $25 $3000 GTD tourney, and just after you left, this happened....

All-in 77 v QQ. Not only was the guy wiped out on the flop, but the river then gave him his losing boat and rubbed it in even more!

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/8498/2xfhrh4.jpg

DANCOO
28-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Very nice, Dancoo.

Cheers :p

Do you remember what hand I went out on? I've been playing pretty solid recently and tend to only go out if I've been outdrawn, can't remember much about last night though.

DANCOO
28-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Is it worth reading the section on it in SS2 ?

I reckon it is. It's only a very small section, maybe ten or twenty pages, but it gives a good understanding of the basics.

DANCOO
28-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Christ!

I do not know how many tournies I have been kocked out of in the last few days, where I have had the dominating A, and the other player has hit their kicker.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Coupled with the fact I just went out of another when quite well placed by trying to steal the blinds with KJo...only fror the BB to have 10 10.:rolleyes:

SamTheOldGoat
29-10-2006, 01:36 AM
Sweet Royal, that's a sweet sweet sick beat ;)

Son of Selhurst
29-10-2006, 02:38 AM
Cheers :p

Do you remember what hand I went out on? I've been playing pretty solid recently and tend to only go out if I've been outdrawn, can't remember much about last night though.

No idea, I was watching TV and suddenly you were gone. Sorry.

Although I did think you were playing a bit tight/passive even though the blinds were going up...

Anyway, tonight's dodgy hand is:

PokerStars Game #6808780434: Hold'em Limit ($3/$6) - 2006/10/28 - 22:27:31 (ET)
Table 'Eriphyla' 6-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: abasinripper ($406 in chips)
Seat 2: BriscoeKid ($230.50 in chips)
Seat 3: gamblegoddes ($460 in chips)
Seat 4: u0125231 ($85 in chips)
Seat 5: Blartman ($97 in chips)
Seat 6: Digs65 ($236.50 in chips)
Blartman: posts small blind $1
Digs65: posts big blind $3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Blartman [7h 7d]
abasinripper: calls $3
BriscoeKid: folds
gamblegoddes: folds
u0125231: folds
Blartman: calls $2
Digs65: checks
*** FLOP *** [7s 7c 5c]
Blartman: checks
Digs65: bets $3
abasinripper: folds
Blartman: calls $3
*** TURN *** [7s 7c 5c] [2h]
Digs65: bets $6
Blartman: calls $6
*** RIVER *** [7s 7c 5c 2h] [5s]
Blartman: bets $6
Digs65: raises $6 to $12
Blartman: raises $6 to $18
Digs65: raises $6 to $24
Betting is capped
Blartman said, "oh dear"
Blartman: calls $6
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Digs65: shows [5d 5h] (four of a kind, Fives)
Blartman: shows [7h 7d] (four of a kind, Sevens)
Digs65 said, "i have quads dude"
Blartman collected $72 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $75 | Rake $3
Board [7s 7c 5c 2h 5s]
Seat 1: abasinripper folded on the Flop
Seat 2: BriscoeKid folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: gamblegoddes folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: u0125231 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Blartman (small blind) showed [7h 7d] and won ($72) with four of a kind, Sevens
Seat 6: Digs65 (big blind) showed [5d 5h] and lost with four of a kind, Fives

Son of Selhurst
29-10-2006, 02:53 AM
Followed very shortly by:

PokerStars Game #6809094841: Hold'em Limit ($3/$6) - 2006/10/28 - 22:50:43 (ET)
Table 'Eriphyla' 6-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: abasinripper ($391 in chips)
Seat 2: BriscoeKid ($137.50 in chips)
Seat 4: u0125231 ($83 in chips)
Seat 5: Blartman ($141 in chips)
Seat 6: KeanuReaver ($593 in chips)
Blartman: posts small blind $1
KeanuReaver: posts big blind $3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Blartman [6h 6c]
abasinripper: raises $3 to $6
BriscoeKid: calls $6
Blartman: calls $5
KeanuReaver: calls $3
*** FLOP *** [8s 6s 8d]
KeanuReaver: checks
abasinripper: bets $3
BriscoeKid: calls $3
Blartman: calls $3
KeanuReaver: calls $3
*** TURN *** [8s 6s 8d] [Qs]
KeanuReaver: checks
abasinripper: bets $6
BriscoeKid: calls $6
Blartman: raises $6 to $12
KeanuReaver: folds
abasinripper: raises $6 to $18
Blartman: raises $6 to $24
Betting is capped
abasinripper: calls $6
*** RIVER *** [8s 6s 8d Qs] [Ad]
Blartman: bets $6
abasinripper: calls $6
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Blartman: shows [6h 6c] (a full house, Sixes full of Eights)
abasinripper: shows [Kd Kc] (two pair, Kings and Eights)
Blartman collected $100 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $102 | Rake $2
Board [8s 6s 8d Qs Ad]
Seat 1: abasinripper showed [Kd Kc] and lost with two pair, Kings and Eights
Seat 2: BriscoeKid folded on the Turn
Seat 4: u0125231 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Blartman (small blind) showed [6h 6c] and won ($100) with a full house, Sixes full of Eights
Seat 6: KeanuReaver (big blind) folded on the Turn

Son of Selhurst
29-10-2006, 02:55 AM
And then this !!!!! ARSE !!!!!!

PokerStars Game #6809134472: Hold'em Limit ($3/$6) - 2006/10/28 - 22:53:47 (ET)
Table 'Eriphyla' 6-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: abasinripper ($302 in chips)
Seat 2: BriscoeKid ($110.50 in chips)
Seat 4: u0125231 ($117 in chips)
Seat 5: Blartman ($198 in chips)
Seat 6: KeanuReaver ($611 in chips)
abasinripper: posts small blind $1
BriscoeKid: posts big blind $3
bosox314: sits out
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Blartman [9d Js]
Blartman: folds
KeanuReaver: raises $3 to $6
abasinripper: folds
*** FLOP *** [Jh Jc Jd]
BriscoeKid: checks
KeanuReaver: bets $3
*** TURN *** [Jh Jc Jd] [Ad]
BriscoeKid: checks
KeanuReaver: bets $6
KeanuReaver collected $19 from pot
KeanuReaver: doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $19 | Rake $0
Board [Jh Jc Jd Ad]
Seat 1: abasinripper (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 2: BriscoeKid (big blind) folded on the Turn
Seat 4: u0125231 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Blartman folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: KeanuReaver (button) collected ($19)

DANCOO
29-10-2006, 09:35 AM
No idea, I was watching TV and suddenly you were gone. Sorry.

Although I did think you were playing a bit tight/passive even though the blinds were going up...

Can't remember how close to the money I was, but when approaching the money and not one of the chip leaders, I really tighten up a lot.
People will see me folding my blinds to rasies a lot, and more often than not someone will eventually try to steal with a big raise. I tend to go all-in at that point and usually take the pot down there (and re-coup more than was stolen), or get a chance to double up.
It's probably an area which needs working on, but playing online there is always a big stack almost wanting to double you up by calling with rags.

Shame that quad v quad wasn't no limit.:)

SamTheOldGoat
29-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Bleugh, was just wondering why the pot wasn't maxed out!

Dan, unless you have AA KK and SOMETIMES QQ when you 3/4x and push regardless of the flop... My general play in tournies which is pretty rare!

DANCOO
29-10-2006, 12:17 PM

Dan, unless you have AA KK and SOMETIMES QQ when you 3/4x and push regardless of the flop... My general play in tournies which is pretty rare!

Sorry mate, I may be being stupid, but I can't figure out what the hell you're going on about :confused: :D Can you re-explain?

Anyway, what do you make of this hand, I wasn't involved but I can't see what the winning player did wrong?

Castech posted small blind ($0.15)
sporona posted big blind ($0.30)
Dealing Hole Cards
wezzybee called for $0.30
Carlito_1 folded
Stereotype raised for $0.60
Castech called for $0.45
RunnungDucks sits down
sporona folded
wezzybee called for $0.30
Dealing the Flop(Qc Qh 5s )
Castech checked
wezzybee bet for $0.30
Stereotype raised for $1.20
Castech called for $1.20
wezzybee folded
Dealing the turn(Kc )
Castech checked
Stereotype bet for $1.50
Castech went all-in for $6.15
Stereotype called for $4.65
Dealing the river(3s )
Castech shows a Full House, Fives full of Queens
(5s 5d 5h Qc Qh )
Stereotype shows a Full House, Queens full of Kings
(Qc Qh Qd Kc Kh )
Stereotype wins $16.25 with a Full House, Queens full of Kings

Castech> thats a f-ucking illness

Stereotype> sry

Castech> typical scandie muff play

Strathclyde Eagle
29-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Can't see what he did that was so wrong either, he's just behind until the turn and hits. Trip Queens with a King kicker isn't disgraceful by any means, especially short handed. Fair hand all round I'd say.

saul1664
29-10-2006, 03:48 PM
out first hand in tourney 10 10 raise 5 x BB called by one raised to 320 call, hit 10 on flop, flush draw out there, check get raised call all in by AA, A on turn

DANCOO
29-10-2006, 04:32 PM
Can't see what he did that was so wrong either, he's just behind until the turn and hits. Trip Queens with a King kicker isn't disgraceful by any means, especially short handed. Fair hand all round I'd say.

Forgot to say, that was in Omaha.

In hold'em, nothing wrong with it. I'm just not sure whether or not the eventual winner was expected to put the player on a made full. I mean, it's not as if the made hand re-raised him, he just flat called his raise.

DANCOO
29-10-2006, 05:01 PM
Again!

My Ac Kh v Ad Qd

Flop 7d 9d Qc

This week, I am probably down on my dominating aces maybe 75% - which is a ••••••• ridiculous rate to be down by.

As I type this...it has just happened AGAIN!

saul1664
29-10-2006, 05:19 PM
after tourney ring game 1st hand KK, only one raiser called all in, turns over AA

SamTheOldGoat
29-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Had that last night as high stack in a cash game...... ffs

DANCOO
29-10-2006, 10:40 PM
How some people win games is f*cking beyond me.:veryangry :veryangry

I'm very placed for the money, couple of limpers come round to me.

I'm in the BB holding 4s 9s
Feel they are both quite weak so raise 5 x BB.
The chip leder at my table calls.
Flop comes down 4h Qd 9h.
Two pair, so I push all-in.
He calls, with a f*cking 10h 5h in the hole!!!
He gets his flush and knocks me out.
This was 2 hours into the tourney. :veryangry

SamTheOldGoat
30-10-2006, 10:32 AM
SICK

Son of Selhurst
30-10-2006, 12:57 PM
How some people win games is f*cking beyond me.:veryangry :veryangry

I'm very placed for the money, couple of limpers come round to me.

I'm in the BB holding 4s 9s
Feel they are both quite weak so raise 5 x BB.
The chip leder at my table calls.
Flop comes down 4h Qd 9h.
Two pair, so I push all-in.
He calls, with a f*cking 10h 5h in the hole!!!
He gets his flush and knocks me out.
This was 2 hours into the tourney. :veryangry

How big was his stack? Maybe it was worth him taking the chance?

And in all honesty, if someone raised you 5xBB with 4 9 s and won, you'd be a bit pissed at that as well.....

I find flopped two pair always loses. Always.

DANCOO
30-10-2006, 02:54 PM
How big was his stack? Maybe it was worth him taking the chance?

And in all honesty, if someone raised you 5xBB with 4 9 s and won, you'd be a bit pissed at that as well.....

I find flopped two pair always loses. Always.

He was about 18,000 I was about 11,000.

If someone raised me with 5xBB and I was in the small blind holding 10h 5h, a call would be the last thing I would do...in fact, I would never just call.
I would either put him on a steal and re-raise, or fold.
Calling from that position is just about the weakest play anyone can make, and only a real fish would make it.

SamTheOldGoat
30-10-2006, 05:15 PM
^ Indeed..

saul1664
30-10-2006, 10:08 PM
Betfair changed their software today, entered a MTT, 71 players. Now starting stacks are 2000, 15 minute levels, two and a half hours still 14 left. Then got disconnected and by the time I got back chip stack got halved, unsurprisigly my 28 off got dominated by JA.

Must have had the most appalling run of cards ever, KA and QA was about it in over 120 hands.

Have $10 free in Ladbrokes, they are doing some big money promo this week, though seem to have trouble getting in to their site.

Going to keep an eye on betfair for time being, I have $160 in bonus dollars but have no idea how to earn it.

David Amsalem
30-10-2006, 10:24 PM
I may have to give poker up cos of some of my beats this week.

I only play STT. I can only really afford the $10 at a push and the standard of play is just so horrible.

I whacked £20 in my account and lost all of it (three STT, one cash table) in one night to hands on the river. Out of all this beats, the calculator showed that pre-river, they had 18% chance of winning the hand.

I've lost to runner runner straight, runner runner flush, lower Ace kicker and a lower pocket pair.

I know that the better players win in the long run, but I've not got a bankroll to play in the long run when I lose hands I should win hands down.

Strathclyde Eagle
30-10-2006, 10:59 PM
In which case you're playing at tables above your bankroll. Don't mean to sound harsh but there are guidelines for this kind of thing.

DANCOO
30-10-2006, 11:14 PM
I feel I really must echo STOG's statement earlier on about what a great game Omaha is. I only play $0.12/$0.25 PL and $0.25/$0.50 PL at the moment, but I can really see the ability to make good money on these tables.
I was up last night, but lost it all due to tiredness - I was playing until around 02:00am, and I was up a good amount earlier on, but called an all-in with a full house which I actually didn't think was good.
Really am still learning, but you really have to concentrate on the value of your draws and be prepared to lay down what appear to be monster hands.

SamTheOldGoat
31-10-2006, 12:48 AM
David-Surely you should be playing the $3 SNG's etc on stars if your bank roll has made you go broke after a £20 stint, or playing 0.02/0.05 cash games etc on stars...

Dan-Glad you've found the joys of omaha! I was watching 25/50 and 100/200 on various sites today, it's amazing how big the pots can get, and how often 2 pair on the flop is no good! Calling pot bets to catch 3 outers or back door flush draws!

I haven't read SS2 on Omaha yet, I use information I find on pocketfives.com archives to better my game and at the moment am actually WATCHING rather than playing to work out what to play etc. It's all a learning curve and I've been from 25 to 150 back down to 50 literally in the space of 15 minutes! Definitely a profitable game, keep me updated on how you get on, I really think that at hte omaha stakes that you and I are teaching ourselves on we are faced with 'fish' and 'rookies' who are learning/don't have a clue themselves and we need to pounce on them! All the best!

KevTheOptimist
31-10-2006, 01:02 AM
The new betfair software is shicking IMO. What you lot think

saul1664
31-10-2006, 02:18 AM
The new betfair software is shicking IMO. What you lot think

I'll give it time. Screen is either ridiculously big or tiny making cards hard to read (they have done it so you can play 6 games at once). Sit&Go's seem desperately hard to find, you can't seem to click on the boxes to put them in money order. Instead of top 10 getting in prize money now its 9, 18, 27 etc. Seems the simplicity has been taken away. Find it difficult to put the exact bet you want in the box, you seem to have less time to make a decision now and not sure about the blind/levels structure, will have to alter gameplay to take into account longer times and bigger stack.

Finbar
31-10-2006, 10:28 AM
Doesn't sound ideal, will give it a go later

William Hill use the same software as the old Betfair so might have to play there instead, like that format

DANCOO
31-10-2006, 10:50 AM

I haven't read SS2 on Omaha yet, I use information I find on pocketfives.com archives to better my game and at the moment am actually WATCHING rather than playing to work out what to play etc. It's all a learning curve and I've been from 25 to 150 back down to 50 literally in the space of 15 minutes! Definitely a profitable game, keep me updated on how you get on, I really think that at hte omaha stakes that you and I are teaching ourselves on we are faced with 'fish' and 'rookies' who are learning/don't have a clue themselves and we need to pounce on them! All the best!

The Omaha section in SS2 is very basic, and probably won't teach you a great deal more than you already know.
I might invest in a book dedicated to Omaha.

DANCOO
31-10-2006, 10:54 AM
Help with torrents.

I have download the High Stakes S02E01 torrent and I now have about a dozen .rar files each containg a video clip. Do I have to somehow link these all together, and if so, how?

oz_da II
31-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by David Amsalem
I may have to give poker up cos of some of my beats this week.

I only play STT. I can only really afford the $10 at a push and the standard of play is just so horrible.

I whacked £20 in my account and lost all of it (three STT, one cash table) in one night to hands on the river. Out of all this beats, the calculator showed that pre-river, they had 18% chance of winning the hand.

I've lost to runner runner straight, runner runner flush, lower Ace kicker and a lower pocket pair.

I know that the better players win in the long run, but I've not got a bankroll to play in the long run when I lose hands I should win hands down.

Don't blame the beats, blame your poor bankroll management.

Play the micro-limits if you've only got £20.

Son of Selhurst
31-10-2006, 11:07 AM
I never got my head around Omaha. A couple of guys at our poker tried to start a game going but I just could not get the hang of it. It seems too much of a lottery as there are so many more hand people could have.

oz_da II
31-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Help with torrents.

I have download the High Stakes S02E01 torrent and I now have about a dozen .rar files each containg a video clip. Do I have to somehow link these all together, and if so, how?

Download this DANCOO:

http://www.download.com/3000-2250-10007677.html

SamTheOldGoat
31-10-2006, 11:26 AM
I never got my head around Omaha. A couple of guys at our poker tried to start a game going but I just could not get the hang of it. It seems too much of a lottery as there are so many more hand people could have.

Which makes it a much more drawing game, and to make big calls you have to be pretty sure you have the cake........

DAN, Let me know if you find one...

Micky Spilane
31-10-2006, 12:53 PM
Don't blame the beats, blame your poor bankroll management.

Play the micro-limits if you've only got £20.

I agree with oz_da II, managing your bankroll is the key, play within your affordable limits. Also be patient especially at the beginning of an STT, there is nearly always a couple of idiots who go all-in, you may have a high pocket pair but the chances are one of these idiots or River Rats as I prefer to call them will hit on the turn or river. Eventually they normally get knocked out early doors and the STT settles down to normality. Also make notes on these players so that when you sit down again and one of them is there you can be pre-warned.

DANCOO
31-10-2006, 01:13 PM
Download this DANCOO:

http://www.download.com/3000-2250-10007677.html

Cheers, but I already have winrar. What I'm not sure about, is when I open the .rar file there is a video clip in it - there are about twelve in total. Do I need to link all of these together somehow?

oz_da II
31-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Cheers, but I already have winrar. What I'm not sure about, is when I open the .rar file there is a video clip in it - there are about twelve in total. Do I need to link all of these together somehow?

I remember having trouble with this. I'm lucky enough to have found a torrent site on my mac which has full movie files of various poker shows.

Anyway, did a bit of searching and found this advice which uses Outlook Express, hope it helps:

To assemble a multi-part post using Outlook Express,
click part 1, then, while holding down the Ctrl key,
click each of the remaining parts. When you have
highlighted the last part, Right click and choose
"Combine and Decode." Make sure all parts are in
order in the window that pops up, then click "OK."
When all parts have downloaded and been decoded,
a window will appear with the File Icon in the
bottom left corner (OE4) or in the "Attach"
line (OE5 & 6). Right click on the icon, choose
"save as" and, within the browser window that
appears, choose "Desktop" as the place to initially
save it. If you want to keep it, you can later CUT and
PASTE it from Desktop to any folder you want.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t191808-how-do-i-play-movie-files.html

DANCOO
31-10-2006, 03:31 PM
I remember having trouble with this. I'm lucky enough to have found a torrent site on my mac which has full movie files of various poker shows.

Anyway, did a bit of searching and found this advice which uses Outlook Express, hope it helps:

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t191808-how-do-i-play-movie-files.html

Cheers.

I didn't use that method, but it gave me the idea to try and select all the files and combine them using winrar, which worked.:p
Had to download about four different avi viewers as none would read it. Divx worked in the end.

saul1664
31-10-2006, 07:08 PM
just entering the 1 chip tourney at ladbrokes if you are in the blinds you are all in