PDA

View Full Version : Online Poker Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Son of Selhurst
21-04-2006, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by citizen sane
This was a first last night in a sit'n'go on laddies.

I bust all nine players out on my own :lux: It was one of them games where i seemed to hit every draw i went for as well as my big hands holding up .

Nice one! Me and a mate used to keep count when we played at the same tourney tables. Each time one of us busted someone out, we'd say "One to me!", "Two to me!" etc

Some dozy tart once says "Stop it, it's not just about knocking people out"...... We're like "Errrrr..... yes it is !"

I think it was 3 to me when I busted her out.... Never seen her online since.

Son of Selhurst
21-04-2006, 10:38 AM
The most fascinating thing was his timing though .He seemed to pick the right time to raise or fold with unerring accuracy .

Yeah, weird that..... Of course, there's no chance he could be a Ladbrokes employee and can see the cards......

DANCOO
21-04-2006, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Son of Selhurst
Yeah, weird that..... Of course, there's no chance he could be a Ladbrokes employee and can see the cards......

Make up your mind, first you say they let the bad players win, now you're saying they let the good players win!

Son of Selhurst
21-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by DANCOO
Make up your mind, first you say they let the bad players win, now you're saying they let the good players win!

No, I'm saying the site is rigged. All 'public' players 'win' a set amount, but over time lose it to others and the rake. So if they keep the crap players in by giving them 10-1 shots, they carry on playing, but over time, losing.

At the top end though, the sites can take the rake AND the tournament winnings and end up with even more profit.

Poker is a far easier game played live, as the 'tells' are so much more prominent. Online, I don't believe a player can call/fold/re-raise with as much accuracy as guys like this Action bloke seem to.

Does he get screwed by longshots nearly every hand? Why not?

If he raises with a set, does someone call him with J 7 and hit a flush on the river? Why not?

Watch him and you'll notice he raises with the same hands as you do, in the same places, but with different results.

All sites seems to have someone one them that is so successful, because they play online, and win millions. Come on, everyone, have a go and be like him!
It won't happen.

Son of Selhurst
21-04-2006, 11:31 AM
BTW, last night, at a real table, I walked it.

Strathclyde Eagle
21-04-2006, 01:01 PM
Question then: if online poker is rigged how come the winners of the main event at the World Series of Poker in 2003 and 2004 both qualified online? Winning the whole thing seems to suggest they're good players, and yet they managed to win an online qualifier to get there in the first place.

If you don't like a site, go to another one running a different engine. I think it's the only way that they'll take notice and make amendments to their software.

Micky Droy
21-04-2006, 01:03 PM
The established sites are not rigged.

Son of Selhurst
22-04-2006, 09:20 PM
Sorry, but I found out some very interesting information yesterday. Suffice to say I ain't saying it publicly until I've done some more investigation and have very solid evidence.

It's up to you whether you want to continue playing online, but I wouldn't.

Johnson
23-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Sorry, but I found out some very interesting information yesterday. Suffice to say I ain't saying it publicly until I've done some more investigation and have very solid evidence.

:S: :S: :S: :S: :S:

PoolKing
23-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Johnson
:S: :S: :S: :S: :S:

Seconded:p

Lion
24-04-2006, 08:16 PM
Online Poker (at least the main established ones) is not rigged. I work for a poker that provides online poker solutions and some of the security stories I could tell you are amazing - they are all about how they are able to catch fraudsters - not how they've got away with it.

Anyhow- I played my first cash game on Party tonight - lasted about 2 hours before the wife got back and I ended $8 up out of around 80 hands. Taking it slowly now i'm betting for real.

Teddy
24-04-2006, 11:47 PM
Nomination for bad beat of the day. $8 20 seater. Weak player makes a minimum raise mid position, I call on the button with A 10 os, flop comes 10 5 10, he bets I re-raise, he goes all in, I call. This guy turns over A J os, turn comes K, river is you guessed it Q. Bit gutted as it would have put me chip leader, but managed to finish second, so not too bad.

Had to feel for the person who went out 3rd, they picked up Aces twice in 3 hands. Had them cracked by my pocket 6s hitting a straight on the river. And then went out when his aces were craked by a monster 5 7 suited, 7 on the flop and on the turn.

I know its not fixed, but Pacific sure does feel like it sometimes! I'm guessing most sites are much of a muchness, but does anyone have any reccomendations for a change?

David Amsalem
24-04-2006, 11:50 PM
Played tonight with a lot of mates and played fantastic. Really happy with my game but suffered two horrid bad beats.

Since looked at the 'net at on the last one (chips were 3030/2970), he called all-in with QJ, I called AT (both unsuited). 59% pre-flop, 89% on the turn, river - Jack.

Reps AJ
25-04-2006, 07:16 PM
Hey Poolking I just knocked you out of a $5 extreme turbo game when my 24s hit a flush on the river - sorry, obviously I was all-in by the blinds so I had no choice!

PoolKing
25-04-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Reps AJ
Hey Poolking I just knocked you out of a $5 extreme turbo game when my 24s hit a flush on the river - sorry, obviously I was all-in by the blinds so I had no choice!

No worries, lost $300 today so am just ••••••• about with a few pound in those turbo rooms to get rid of some frustration:p

I don't remember the hand....what is your username there?

Reps AJ
25-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by PoolKing
No worries, lost $300 today so am just ••••••• about with a few pound in those turbo rooms to get rid of some frustration:p

I don't remember the hand....what is your username there?

Dropped you a PM.

I do enjoy those turbo games, complete chance but good fun :p

David Amsalem
28-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Doubled up last night.

Just had a quick game now as well, just a $2 5 seater which I won.

I was chip leader with three of us left. My last three cards were QQ, TT, AA... couldn't believe it. I felt like I was cheating but hey ho!

Strathclyde Eagle
28-04-2006, 03:15 PM
You'll have tournaments where you don't see anything like that. It's called variance.

DANCOO
28-04-2006, 03:36 PM
:veryangry

Lost nearly $200 to complete knob heads today.

This morning a calling station called my 4xbb bet holding K7, I'm on AA...you know the rest.

Just now, I'm holding KJ, flop comes JQK. Player in front bets $4, I raise $8, third player calls. First player re-raises all-in, I re-re-raise all-in ( around $140 in the pot ), the third player puts all his money in.

$210 in the pot, first player holding AK, I've got 2pair, third player...open end straight draw:grrr: :grrr:

Soooooo many people seem prepared to take odds of around 2-1/3-1 on an open end straight draw.....he hit it on the river of course.:veryangry :veryangry

This is turning into a bad beat thread.
BTW, I don't think he was holding 9 10 but I can't be certain as I wasn't looking...plus one of the others said 'nice hit' and the other one grinned....••••••.

David Amsalem
28-04-2006, 05:14 PM
How is everybody doing then with online poker? I only play it as a hobby and am still very much a learner. I tend to whack about a tenner a week in on average and tend to withdraw a tenner a week too!

Obviously, its slightly personal so by all means, don't answer, but money wise, how much success have people experienced?

I'm about £25 down this year. Excluding the two months of play though, I'm about £20 up!

Edit - worth baring in mind, I'm a student and thats a lot of money for me! Plus, I'm normally get my poker fun with real life play.

Funk Butter
28-04-2006, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by David Amsalem
How is everybody doing then with online poker? I only play it as a hobby and am still very much a learner. I tend to whack about a tenner a week in on average and tend to withdraw a tenner a week too!

Obviously, its slightly personal so by all means, don't answer, but money wise, how much success have people experienced?

I'm about £25 down this year. Excluding the two months of play though, I'm about £20 up!

Edit - worth baring in mind, I'm a student and thats a lot of money for me! Plus, I'm normally get my poker fun with real life play.
Don't really know how much I'm up this year. I feel like its been a bad year, because I have been in exile for a while now because of some horrific bad beats. But I won 3 MTT at Poker Stars this year, an Omaha one that was $650 or so and 2 THeNL ones that were around $750 or $800 each. Got back in last night, and for some reason started with a Stud H/L multi-table. Managed to get into top 5 but got obliterated when I started betting into a guy showing Q9o up when I had 6s8s in the hole and As3s showing. Turns out he has a 45 underneath and hits 3, 2, A to scoop the pot. Went to a double shootout satellite to the million dollar Sunday tourney and managed to completely dominate the final table. Knocked out every single other player.

Lion
01-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by David Amsalem

Started playing for cash April 24th with a $50 deposit on PartyPoker - as of tonight my balance is now just over $100 - so $50 up in just over a week.

Mainly been playing some very low cost tables - may up my game a bit over the next few weeks.

Lion
01-05-2006, 09:46 PM
BTW - Been using Poker Spy and Poker Office - both are very helpful for learning the game and not having to worry about calculating the odds!

darren_j
01-05-2006, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Lion
BTW - Been using Poker Spy and Poker Office - both are very helpful for learning the game and not having to worry about calculating the odds!

What do they do?

Lion
02-05-2006, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by darren_j
What do they do?

calculate the odds of the hand you have winning the pot and give you historical data on your performance and players that you are playing against if you have played them in the past when using the software.

Lion
02-05-2006, 08:30 AM
calculate the odds of the hand you have winning the pot and give you historical data on your performance and players that you are playing against if you have played them in the past when using the software.

"PokerOffice is the most sophisticated tool on the market for Online Texas Hold'em Poker. PokerOffice allows you to track all of your opponents actions as well as your own game, while you are playing, without any need for hand histories or user input. It stores all of the collected data and brings you summarized statistical reports, spreadsheets and graphs of your own and your opponents play. In addition it comes with a Live Advisor Window that displays real time opponent modeling of the players you are currently facing, real time probabilities of future hands, hand rankings, Pot Odds and live graphs and statistics."

PoolKing
02-05-2006, 08:41 AM

Any update on this info.???

Son of Selhurst
02-05-2006, 08:58 AM
Any update on this info.???

After your last comment about it, no.

Keep playing. Have fun.

PoolKing
02-05-2006, 09:06 AM

Keep playing. Have fun.

I only posted that comment as I regularly read poker forums and there are so many people who post about poker being rigged yet NOT ONE provides any proper evidence......your line just sounded like more of the same.

If your evidence is for real then why be ashamed? Post it and we'll see:p

David Amsalem
02-05-2006, 09:15 AM

Keep playing. Have fun.

What about if I ask?

I don't understand why you wouldn't take this as a chance to prove everybody wrong, I'm intrigued to hear.

darren_j
02-05-2006, 10:59 PM

Thanks. Can you just have the live advisor on it's own as I could do with something to help me calculate pot odds in game.

Poolio you used this at all?

PoolKing
02-05-2006, 11:16 PM
Thanks. Can you just have the live advisor on it's own as I could do with something to help me calculate pot odds in game.

No, I haven't used that software before. With PokerTracker I sometimes use another thing called gametime ++ which overlays my opponents' stats onto the screen though most of the time I play with pokertracker and analyse my stats after play.

That piece of software sounds good though particularly having your odds of winning on display.

David Amsalem
03-05-2006, 12:00 AM
Had some real bad beats. Jeez, real bad.

Still up for the night but if it wasn't for some disgusting luck, I would have been a lot more up.

Horrible, horrible.

Oh, and one time, I folded 22 pre-flop. Flop is 242! Couldn't believe it. Came second in that game too. If I played that hand... sigh! Ha, oh well. Was only about 100 to play too.

Funk Butter
03-05-2006, 03:34 AM

Don't know the extent, but there are some poker sites that have terms against using things like these add-on software. They are constatntly bubilding code into the software to detect these things. So I guess the moral is, (depending on the site you play at) use at your own risk.

oz_da II
03-05-2006, 03:50 AM
Being able to see a player's mucked hand, as PokerSpy claims, is a bit naughty. Out of order actually.

citizen sane
04-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Can anyone recommend any good poker books specificaly for mtt & stt or internet play in general .

I've read Brunson's , Helmuth and Harrington's books plus a couple of other ones but none really go into detail on this .

I know T.J Cloutier wrote one on tournament play , has anyone read that ?

citizen sane
04-05-2006, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by oz_da II
Being able to see a player's mucked hand, as PokerSpy claims, is a bit naughty. Out of order actually.

Be good if you could though ;)

Strathclyde Eagle
04-05-2006, 06:27 PM
Super System 2 is meant to have a section purely devoted to online play.

citizen sane
04-05-2006, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
Super System 2 is meant to have a section purely devoted to online play.

Its not a very big section and it tells you very little Imo .

I only play STT and MTT online so I'm looking for good specific advice to improve my game .

DANCOO
04-05-2006, 11:51 PM
Haven't been playing too much recently, so surprised to get my biggest win last night/this morning.

Really disappointed to go out when I did, as I had played a perfect game until that point ( although I think I played the last hand as best I could really ).

I'm UTG holding AKs so I bet 3 x bb. I get someone raise me all-in ( he had previously gone all-in with 22 ), so I called.

AKs v QQ. I went out.

The shame is that I was sitting in third, and winning that hand would have made me chip leader. Not only that, the money was going up in quite hefty stages at that point, so maybe I should have folded and waited to get a better chance ( someone went out soon after, and the money jumped another $750 ).

Still, I got into that tourney via an Express Sat ( cost me $22 in total ), and I didn't re-buy or add-on in the $100 tourney aswell.

That AKs was a bad call wasn't it.:(

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/817/poker1wi.gif

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/817/poker1wi.gif

oz_da II
05-05-2006, 12:32 AM

Nice little win there. :p

I've found AK to be quite costly lately as well doing similar plays to what you did. Very tricky hand to play.
I think with the all in raise you've got to be thinking pocket pairs putting you at just below 50% to take the pot. Since you went out he must have been 1st or 2nd so it would have been a very brave all in holding anything but pocket pairs in that position. Perhaps folding and biding your time was the best option (you weren't being blinded out at that stage?) Hindsight is a great thing.

Well played, anyway.

PoolKing
05-05-2006, 07:36 AM
Haven't been playing too much recently, so surprised to get my biggest win last night/this morning.

Nice win:p

I think you are being harsh on yourself with the AK. You made the call based on previous information and when the 2 hands were flipped over you were 50/50.

PoolKing
05-05-2006, 07:39 AM
Can anyone recommend any good poker books specificaly for mtt & stt or internet play in general .

I found John Vorhaus' Killer Poker Online a decent book for helping my online game. However, it is more for the psychology and approach rather than specific strategies for particular games.

DANCOO
05-05-2006, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the positives.

oz_da - the screenshot was taken a couple of hands later, but I think he was in about third and I was actually fourth, can't really remember ( and no, I wasn't being blinded out ).

Poolking - the 22 he called was when he was sitting in around 7th, so maybe he felt he needed to do it then.

As far as AK goes, I see the top online laddies players go all-in with it all the time ( calling all-in, and raising all-in ), it is very rarely played too slowly, maybe this is because of the amount of people who go all in with hands like AQ,AJ,KQ,small pp's etc...
Generally ( only the last six months ), I tend to play AK very strong and am not afraid to put all my chips in with it ( unless there is a huge amount of action before me maybe ), it seemed to get me far in this tourney anyway.

citizen sane
05-05-2006, 08:12 AM
I found John Vorhaus' Killer Poker Online a decent book for helping my online game. However, it is more for the psychology and approach rather than specific strategies for particular games.

Never heard of this one but I'll take a look , thanks :p

citizen sane
05-05-2006, 08:25 AM

As far as AK goes, I see the top online laddies players go all-in with it all the time ( calling all-in, and raising all-in ), it is very rarely played too slowly, maybe this is because of the amount of people who go all in with hands like AQ,AJ,KQ,small pp's etc...
Generally ( only the last six months ), I tend to play AK very strong and am not afraid to put all my chips in with it ( unless there is a huge amount of action before me maybe ), it seemed to get me far in this tourney anyway.

Nice win Dan :)

For whats it worth I would have played that hand the same in your position , you was just lost the coin-flip - on another day though AK would have won the race and you'd have been sitting pretty .

citizen sane
05-05-2006, 08:41 AM

In short handed stt when the blinds are low , I'll just flat call with AK unless I'm on the button when everyone has limped in , In which case I'll raise to clear the field a bit . Ideally i don't want anymore than 2/3 in the hand with me , it also makes it easier to lay down if you miss the flop totally .

Maybe not the best way of playing it , but i always try to " hide " big hands early on because if people see you've slow played something like this it tends to make them a bit wary of you in future hands , which i find has some big advantages later on in the game when the blinds are bigger .

oz_da II
05-05-2006, 08:48 AM

I'm half way through it right now.
Finding it quite useful.

DANCOO
05-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Playing at work can be a nightmare.

Holding AKs ( :hmph: ), but a work colleague walks in. Manage to call the BB but then have to quickly switch displays. While he's talking ( but not looking ), I mange to switch displays back, to see a player has raised it up $4 ( he does big raises and bets heavily often ). I could do nothing but switch my display back and let my hand time out.:sob:

On a side note, I've just been made redundant - would you put down 'Playing Poker' as an interest on your CV?

Son of Selhurst
05-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Just watching poker night live replay and there's a player on there called Eagles_CPFC... anyone on here?

DANCOO
05-05-2006, 01:04 PM
Just watching poker night live replay and there's a player on there called Eagles_CPFC... anyone on here?

When I used to play on William Hill there was a bloke with a username which linked him to Crystal Palace - can't recall if it was Eagles_CPFC or not though.
I asked him if he was BBS...but he wasn't...he was with the Dark Side.:vader:

Son of Selhurst
06-05-2006, 12:35 AM
Rated? Handicapped?

David Amsalem
11-05-2006, 01:14 AM
Put £5 in my account today.

Lost my first sit and go fairly (JJ v AA). The next two though were AQ v A8. 8 on the turn, 8 on the river. Why he even called my all-in I don't know. Then I was holding pocket 9s. 9 on the flop. I call all-in. The guy holding 78 u/s calls for whatever reason and hits a T on the turn and a J on the river! Urgh!

Went onto the $0.05/$0.10 cash games though and turned $1 into $18 but my! Laddies can be a pain.

David Amsalem
12-05-2006, 12:45 AM
Just had one tourney.

$5 five seater. All of us left. Pocket 8s. Raise 600. Get re-raised an extra 200 (they are all-in).

They have 77. Flop is 268. Three of a kind. Turn is 5. River is 4.

Unreal. Wait for a hand. Eventually get TT. Raise all-in. Other guy (second bottom) calls it. He has KT. Turn K. River K, just to rub salt in the wound once more.

I just cannot believe my luck.

Edit: Ho hum, just lost an all-in call to a flush on the turn and river.

DANCOO
12-05-2006, 08:05 AM
$12K GTD $20 re-buy, 240 entrants, 37 left. I'm sitting in about 12th (top 20 get paid).
Get AQs UTG, so bet 3 x BB, three callers.
Flop comes something like 2A9.
Big blind goes all in 35,000 (he was in about 5th), I stupidly go all in for all of my chips.
He turns over AK, I go out in 37th.

Conclusion - I should immediately have realised he had something big to put all his chips in from the big blind, and should have put him on AK or two pair, but I called anyway.:clown:

Not only that, but there were two players to act after me aswell, and they could have been holding trips for all I know.

It's the sort of call I might be making in the early rounds where a few of the crap players are still in who would have put all their chips in holding A5 and I can always re-buy if I need to, but that far into a tourney, you need to give the players who are left an amount of credit for being half decnt.

Only good thing to come out of it, is that I am able to see in hindsight what I did wrong and why, whereas six months ago I would have put it down to me being unlucky...not stupid.

Still kicking myself over this this morning, my tourney play has really come on a lot and my target is always to finish in the money now, whereas it used to be just to try and do well and not make many mistakes.

KevTheOptimist
12-05-2006, 08:17 AM
Anyone heard of Bigslick the new poker club opened in Purley? www.bigslick.co.uk - gonna give it a wirl tonight and will let you know what the deals are there.

grey ghost
12-05-2006, 08:38 AM
play on pokerroom had couple of nice results alst couple of days
5th in $5 407 starters
and 9 th in $20 about 240 starters , but pissed off went out with AA against 77 with another 7 on the river
really tend to go in waves though , i think they just let me get a good stack and then i go on a bad run

kong
12-05-2006, 08:58 AM
Hi all,

I started playing with Blue Sq a few months ago, entry-level STTs, and have in the last fortnight started on the MTTs - $5 buy ins and the like - first one I finished about 11th out of 300-odd and then in the next got to last 20, but oh how I find it hard to keep my discipline - particularly after a few beers - form's trailed off and I played like an idiot last Friday. Prob be back on tonight - the poker (and probably the beers!)

After someone's recommendation (can't remember who, sorry) I bought the first Harrington book and it's helped my game no end - I now feel like I kind-of know what I'm doing... Very early days though...

I've got to say tho, loads of people on Blue Sq slate it, despite continuing to play on it, but it's the only one I've tried and it seems alright to me.

oz_da II
12-05-2006, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by kong
I find it hard to keep my discipline - particularly after a few beers - form's trailed off and I played like an idiot last Friday. Prob be back on tonight - the poker (and probably the beers!)

After someone's recommendation

Don't drink beer when wanting to play "good poker"?

DANCOO
12-05-2006, 09:10 AM

I tend to be able to keep my form after a few beers, tiredness is the one for me which will destory game.

kong
12-05-2006, 09:20 AM

I'm hoping to find a balance where I can do both.

citizen sane
12-05-2006, 01:18 PM

Only good thing to come out of it, is that I am able to see in hindsight what I did wrong and why, whereas six months ago I would have put it down to me being unlucky...not stupid.

Good post and an excellent point .

Son of Selhurst
12-05-2006, 09:07 PM
Deposited. Won a few. Hit a ceiling...

And now look what is happening every hand. I've raised big pairs and good hands, got a caller each time and been drawn out on.

Then look at this.... (my PM name is Blartman)

-------------------------
** Game ID 496899815 starting - 2006-05-12 22:01:54

** Speed $1 6 (c) [Hold 'em] (0.50|1.00 Fixed Limit - Cash Game) Real Money

- Dynnjansmakt sitting in seat 1 with $57.68

- TOVEE sitting in seat 2 with $16.61

- Bubblehammer sitting in seat 3 with $52.99

- e_r_b sitting in seat 4 with $33.62

- Blartman sitting in seat 5 with $21.57

- geezerbird1 sitting in seat 6 with $21.04 [Dealer]

Dynnjansmakt posted the small blind - $0.25

TOVEE posted the big blind - $0.50

** Dealing card to Blartman: 9 of Diamonds, 5 of Diamonds

Bubblehammer folded

e_r_b folded

Blartman raised - $1.00

geezerbird1 folded

Dynnjansmakt folded

TOVEE raised - $1.50

Blartman raised - $2.00

TOVEE called - $2.00

** Dealing the flop: 10 of Diamonds, King of Hearts, 7 of Diamonds

TOVEE checked

Blartman bet - $0.50

TOVEE called - $0.50

** Dealing the turn: 8 of Hearts

TOVEE checked

Blartman bet - $1.00

TOVEE called - $1.00

** Dealing the river: 4 of Hearts

TOVEE checked

Blartman bet - $1.00

TOVEE called - $1.00

Blartman shows: 9 of Diamonds, 5 of Diamonds

--------------------------

TOVEE has...?

Strathclyde Eagle
12-05-2006, 10:30 PM
Two hearts. Then again, you're raising with 9-5 suited!

DANCOO
13-05-2006, 01:47 AM
Sorry for keeping on posting these up, but it's my first win, and I only re-bought once.:lux:

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/7636/pokerwin9sj.gif

Pokerwin (http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/7636/pokerwin9sj.gif)

Sunny Fan
13-05-2006, 01:53 AM
bloody hell, well done:p

oz_da II
13-05-2006, 01:56 AM

TOVEE has...?

Ace-rag?

Not sure what you were doing raising pre-flop.

On the flush draw I would have checked it through. In low-limit poker you're not going to scare any one off by betting. Bet at the end was a waste, he wasn't going anywhere.

Bluffing at low-limit poker = throwing away money.

If you want less "suck-outs" play higher limits.

oz_da II
13-05-2006, 01:58 AM
[B]Sorry for keeping on posting these up, but it's my first win, and I only re-bought once.:lux:

Well played, Dancoo. :p

But it's rigged you know, I'd stay well clear. :clown:

Congrats!

Sunny Fan
13-05-2006, 02:59 AM
Made it to last two tables on a $25 Bluesq tourney, feeling chuffed. Was leading a min ago with twice the stack of anyone else but my AQ was beat by AJ so now pretty much level first. 15 players left; first time I've ever staked as much as $25 on one game, so v pleased that I've already turned a profit on it.

Oh, if anyone's thinking of signing up to blue square any time, let me know and I get a 'finders fee'

Sunny Fan
13-05-2006, 03:34 AM
Came in eighth, should have been higher; poor play at the end. Still, $95 off $25 ain't bad, though it's not quite $3870

DANCOO
13-05-2006, 08:56 AM
Cheers Sunny and oz_da.

I didn't get to sleep until gone 03:30am this morning, got a mates wedding to go to aswell in a couple of hours and I can hardly stay awake...worth it though.
And to think, at the break I nearly didn't add-on and was going to try and work my way up from being short-stacked, how chuffed am I that I went for it.:)

Well played Sunny:p. I think it took me around 18 months, maybe longer, before I finished in the cash on a MTT. Sooo satisfying when you've decided to play a high buy-in table and you know you've got your money back, and you don't have to play mega-tight to prevent yourself going out in the bubble and you can play your normal game again.
Couple of times I've been leading, or least up there, with only a couple of tables left, and gone out way lower than I thought I should have. I usually spend the next 24 hours thinking of nothing else and if I come to the conclusion I did the right thing, I'm not too bothered, but If I feel I f*cked up, I use it as a learning curve and try not to make the same mistake again.

PoolKing
13-05-2006, 09:00 AM
Deposited. Won a few. Hit a ceiling...

Then look at this.... (my PM name is Blartman)

TOVEE has...?

What are you doing playing poker? It was not so long ago that you were advising people not to as you had landmark evidence that it was rigged;)

As Sunny says, TOVEE isn't going away that hand, you can't bluff it. You raise preflop is dodgy and by the river you have no hand so there is no point bluffing.

PoolKing
13-05-2006, 09:02 AM
Sorry for keeping on posting these up, but it's my first win, and I only re-bought once.:lux:
[/URL]

Nice one Dancoo:p

In the past few months you seem to have transformed your tournament game and now the results are coming in......I hope I don't run into you on a final table as I'd be in trouble:D

Strathclyde Eagle
13-05-2006, 09:10 AM
Nice work Dancoo & Sunny.

DANCOO
13-05-2006, 09:45 AM
Nice one Dancoo:p

In the past few months you seem to have transformed your tournament game and now the results are coming in......I hope I don't run into you on a final table as I'd be in trouble:D

:D :p
A good part of the improvement was watching a couple of players who always lead the leaderboards.
Everytime I logged on I would do a search and bring up one of their tables while I played my own table.
I didn't spend hours upon hours studying their play, but you get an idea of how they play, and there is certainly a pattern with a lot of them...patience (amongst other things).

oz_da II
13-05-2006, 09:53 AM
As Sunny says, TOVEE isn't going away that hand, you can't bluff it. You raise preflop is dodgy and by the river you have no hand so there is no point bluffing.

Hey, that was me saying that. :moo:

SOS comes up with all these bad beat/suck out stories and this is the worst "bad beat" he can show us.

:clown:

oz_da II
13-05-2006, 09:56 AM
:D :p
A good part of the improvement was watching a couple of players who always lead the leaderboards.
Everytime I logged on I would do a search and bring up one of their tables while I played my own table.
I didn't spend hours upon hours studying their play, but you get an idea of how they play, and there is certainly a pattern with a lot of them...patience (amongst other things).

A recommendation in John Vorhaus' "Killer Poker Online"?
Just finished reading it.

Well done, I've started doing this as well.

DANCOO
13-05-2006, 10:27 AM

Well done, I've started doing this as well.

I think it may have actually been a recommendation of poolking a while back, but if you read the profiles of the players, it is something a lot of them suggest.

citizen sane
13-05-2006, 05:41 PM

Nice one :)

citizen sane
13-05-2006, 05:42 PM

Ordered a copy last week - looking forward to reading this .

Reps AJ
13-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Just bust out of a MTT to... KKKK! Think I'll let him have that one! Was playing well until then as well...

Sunny Fan
16-05-2006, 02:41 AM
Just won a 383-person $1 speed (2 min blinds) on BlueSq, $103.47. Ker-ching!

An absolute lottery for most of the game, crazily fast-rising blinds, particularly at the end. Helped massively by good hands early and late, bided my time otherwise.

oz_da II
16-05-2006, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Sunny Fan

An absolute lottery for most of the game, crazily fast-rising blinds, particularly at the end. Helped massively by good hands early and late, bided my time otherwise.

Well done. How long did it take to complete?

Sunny Fan
16-05-2006, 03:09 AM
Not long; people were falling left right and centre. I'm not even sure there was a break, which would make it under an hour

Sunny Fan
16-05-2006, 03:09 AM
It's really shambolic poker though, far too rapid i think. I prefer more steady blinds, but for $1 and a laugh, why not

oz_da II
16-05-2006, 03:29 AM
It's really shambolic poker though, far too rapid i think. I prefer more steady blinds, but for $1 and a laugh, why not

Not to mention the $100 profit. ;-)

I played three hours of $0.30-$0.15 limit last night for a grand total of $1.50 profit.

:clown:

Sunny Fan
16-05-2006, 03:49 AM
Not to mention the $100 profit. ;-)

well, yes, but I don't think poker skill really comes into it; just balls and luck at the right time.

Was very proud of my clubs flush AKQJ8 though, which knocked a couple of people out

Strathclyde Eagle
16-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Has anyone here set up a Neteller account? If so how long does the test payment take to come through to a UK bank account?

DANCOO
16-05-2006, 02:53 PM

:p

Total lottery those tables. I generally only play turbos and expresses to get into the larger MTT buy-ins - even then it can become expensive.

PoolKing
16-05-2006, 07:17 PM
Has anyone here set up a Neteller account? If so how long does the test payment take to come through to a UK bank account?

Normal transfers take 3 days to arrive to a bank account from Neteller so I presume the 'test' payment will take the same time.

Micky Droy
16-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Its not a very big section and it tells you very little Imo .

Yep, and it's basically rubbish! Just a filler saying 'do the same'. In fact, I thought SS2 was a cynical exercise as a whole - most of the sections are the same. Not a spot on Harrington.

(PS. I just lost with 3 kings against a 55KKK FH early on in tonight's Who's The Daddy tourney on Laddies :sob: Still, early days - only lost a sixth of my opening 3000 chips as there was a flush I was worried about - the other guy should have pushed me more.)

Micky Droy
16-05-2006, 07:20 PM
PPS. Well done Dancoo!

PPPS. We should really try and have a BBS online poker thread real life game sometime in the summer.

DANCOO
16-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Just seen something that I will probably never see again.

Playing an express satellite, two people put all-in by the huge blinds, someone else calls all his chips.
He's got AsJs
Flop......10sQsKs:eek:
Odds - 19,599-1....ok, maybe I will see it again, but not for a while I'll bet.

DANCOO
16-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Micky Droy
PPS. Well done Dancoo!

PPPS. We should really try and have a BBS online poker thread real life game sometime in the summer.

Cheers M_D :p

I'm up for that at some time.

DANCOO
16-05-2006, 07:25 PM
Yep, and it's basically rubbish! Just a filler saying 'do the same'. In fact, I thought SS2 was a cynical exercise as a whole - most of the sections are the same. Not a spot on Harrington.

(PS. I just lost with 3 kings against a 55KKK FH early on in tonight's Who's The Daddy tourney on Laddies :sob: Still, early days - only lost a sixth of my opening 3000 chips as there was a flush I was worried about - the other guy should have pushed me more.)

Would love to play a Daddy tourney, don't have enough of a bankroll yet to risk $330 though.:(

DANCOO
17-05-2006, 09:11 AM
Can someone translate some pot odds for me?

Basically, my pot odds calculations are pretty dire, and I would like to know how the poker calculator came up with these odds.

Tourney last night holding 66, I raise and get two callers.

Flop comes 2h6hJh.

I'm first to act, and quite foolishly it turned out, I went all in with my trips.

One caller flip over AhQh:rolleyes: :clown:

No help on the turn or river sends me crashing out.

After I left the tourney I checked what the odds were post flop, and I was only a 2-1 dog. (This was calculated using just two players, when in theory there were obviously other mucked hands, but I don't think that should affect the odds?)

Now the only cards which could help me were 3xJ, 3x2 and 1x6.

7 cards helping me, 38 cards helping him.

He was very unlikely to improve his hand, so if I hit, I would win.

I know I've got two shots at hitting my out card, but can someone explain (with calculations if possible), how I am as little as a 2-1 dog, when he has more than seven times the amount of cards available to him than I have.

Strathclyde Eagle
17-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Add in the turn card and you've got an additional three outs on the river (for the board pairing, completing a full house). I've not been able to find out anything definitive but I think you've got something like a 35% chance of improving a set in the final two cards.

I think I heard Howard Lederer say* that the quick way to calculate odds is to count your outs and multiply it by two. Then multiply that by cards to come. I've done this as two separate calculations:

7 x 2 = 14.
10 x 2 = 20.
Total = 34%.

If anyone has more accurate info on the odds of a set improving on the turn or river I'd be interested to read it.

*Apologies if someone said it on this thread first.

Strathclyde Eagle
17-05-2006, 09:43 AM
Normal transfers take 3 days to arrive to a bank account from Neteller so I presume the 'test' payment will take the same time.
11 days and still waiting. :confused:

DANCOO
17-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Add in the turn card and you've got an additional three outs on the river (for the board pairing, completing a full house). I've not been able to find out anything definitive but I think you've got something like a 35% chance of improving a set in the final two cards.

Ahhh, yes I see now, I didn't take into account a pair falling on the turn and river.

I think I heard Howard Lederer say* that the quick way to calculate odds is to count your outs and multiply it by two. Then multiply that by cards to come. I've done this as two separate calculations:

7 x 2 = 14.
10 x 2 = 20.
Total = 34%.

Brilliant, thanks.:p

Is that '35% chance of improving a set', a hard and fast rule?

PoolKing
17-05-2006, 09:52 AM
11 days and still waiting. :confused:

Something must definitely be wrong then.....

When I used Neteller in the past the transactions didn't list as 'Neteller' but came under a name 'Bar Mer Wir' so maybe look for a different name on your statement?

I now only use European sites as withdrawals take 2/3 days direct to my bank account and generally sites where you can only withdraw to neteller are a lot more of a hassle and more stringent with ID checks, delays, etc.

oz_da II
17-05-2006, 09:59 AM
I think I heard Howard Lederer say* that the quick way to calculate odds is to count your outs and multiply it by two. Then multiply that by cards to come.

That's what I use. It is accurate enough to use for 14 or less outs.

Strathclyde Eagle
17-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Is that '35% chance of improving a set', a hard and fast rule?
That's what I'm still trying to find out myself. :)
Something must definitely be wrong then.....

When I used Neteller in the past the transactions didn't list as 'Neteller' but came under a name 'Bar Mer Wir' so maybe look for a different name on your statement?

I now only use European sites as withdrawals take 2/3 days direct to my bank account and generally sites where you can only withdraw to neteller are a lot more of a hassle and more stringent with ID checks, delays, etc.
Nothing in at all in that course of time. Think I might try and register a different bank account to it as I'm not sure employees of my usual bank are that familiar with what an IBAN number is. They don't list it on statements and I had to phone to get it. One of my other banks print it as standard on each and every statement.

European sites could be the way to go. The shame would be the bonuses you miss out on.

citizen sane
17-05-2006, 01:27 PM

European sites could be the way to go. The shame would be the bonuses you miss out on.

Neteller took me nearly 3 weeks to set up originally ( About 2 weeks before they deposited in my B/A ) .

I nearly didn't bother but I'm glad now i did because its a piece of piss to withdraw / deposit money + your able to access all the American gambling sites easily , which is an even bigger pain in the arse if you do it individually .

citizen sane
17-05-2006, 02:07 PM
I was playing in an 8 seat MTT this week and i got dealt 10 / 10 from just behind the dealer ( level 1 blinds , 10 per level )

I raised 4x the blinds and only the BB called . Flop was 9 ,4, 3 rainbow , thinking that i was probably ahead i bet the pot and got called . Turn was an 8 .

Now i was in an awkward position , i was sure i was ahead but i wasn't nowhere near 100% confident but even so i put out a raise of just over the pot and got called again . River was a K , so now warning bells are going off and after a lot of thought i checked , they then put out a small bet , suspiciously small for the size of the pot , so i made a tough decision and folded .
Luckily they showed me at the end and it was KK ! so i had been dead the whole hand .

I've thought about situation a lot because its one thats crops up quite a bit in games , but I'm still unsure of the best way to play these types of hands early into a tourny from early to mid position before you've had a chance to get any information on your opponents.

I've read conflicting stuff about how to play these hands effectively but none seem to take into account the difference the first few hands make .

Can anyone shed any light on this please ?

:)

DANCOO
17-05-2006, 02:14 PM
I was playing in an 8 seat MTT this week and i got dealt 10 / 10 from just behind the dealer ( level 1 blinds , 10 per level )

I raised 4x the blinds and only the BB called . Flop was 9 ,4, 3 rainbow , thinking that i was probably ahead i bet the pot and got called . Turn was an 8 .

Now i was in an awkward position , i was sure i was ahead but i wasn't nowhere near 100% confident but even so i put out a raise of just over the pot and got called again . River was a K , so now warning bells are going off and after a lot of thought i checked , they then put out a small bet , suspiciously small for the size of the pot , so i made a tough decision and folded .
Luckily they showed me at the end and it was KK ! so i had been dead the whole hand .

I've thought about situation a lot because its one thats crops up quite a bit in games , but I'm still unsure of the best way to play these types of hands early into a tourny from early to mid position before you've had a chance to get any information on your opponents.

I've read conflicting stuff about how to play these hands effectively but none seem to take into account the difference the first few hands make .

Although I can't, I will add another situation into the mix on difficulty to play.
Big blind or small blind limped in, couple of others in the hand. Holding something like K4 and K hits the flop. Or holding Q2 and Q hits the flop. Do you bet at it in early position to try and narrow down the field, or check it, possibly allowing yourself to get outdrawn on the turn if no-one bets. If someone bets pot size, do you call? If a lower card hits the turn, and someone bets pot size again, do you call again? etc...

Reps AJ
17-05-2006, 03:25 PM

A quick reply is that you need to use your bets to find out information - which you did. You put in 2 pot sized bets and got called, which must say they've got something (unless they're a complete idiot with no understanding of pot odds). Unless you thought you had the nuts, which you didn't as you're dead to JJ QQ KK AA or trips. I'd play it confidently but carefully, maybe even checking the turn to see what they did (having called a pot sized bet on the flop)

DANCOO
17-05-2006, 03:46 PM

Ordered this book yesterday along with the two Harrington books.
Need to be careful not to overload myself with information that I can't put to good use, but looking forward to getting them.

citizen sane
17-05-2006, 04:25 PM
Although I can't, I will add another situation into the mix on difficulty to play.
Big blind or small blind limped in, couple of others in the hand. Holding something like K4 and K hits the flop. Or holding Q2 and Q hits the flop. Do you bet at it in early position to try and narrow down the field, or check it, possibly allowing yourself to get outdrawn on the turn if no-one bets. If someone bets pot size, do you call? If a lower card hits the turn, and someone bets pot size again, do you call again? etc...

I don't know the answer to that either , but i wish someone did because this drives me bloody mad sometimes .

It depends on my mood to how i play these hands but I'll never go mad with it . If the game has just started and someone bets the pot or even two thirds of the pot then I'll probably lay it down and wait for a better spot .

If there's a flat call , I'll just limp then and hope the hand gets stronger on the turn .

I never seem to win much with these hands though .

citizen sane
17-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Reps AJ
A quick reply is that you need to use your bets to find out information - which you did. You put in 2 pot sized bets and got called, which must say they've got something (unless they're a complete idiot with no understanding of pot odds). Unless you thought you had the nuts, which you didn't as you're dead to JJ QQ KK AA or trips. I'd play it confidently but carefully, maybe even checking the turn to see what they did (having called a pot sized bet on the flop)

On reflection i perhaps should have slowed down on the turn but you're always inviting a bluff as well by doing that .

Problem is , early on in games when most of time at least one or two are lunatics , I'm never quite sure whether I'm being mugged or slowplayed .

DANCOO
17-05-2006, 05:28 PM
I don't know the answer to that either , but i wish someone did because this drives me bloody mad sometimes .

It depends on my mood to how i play these hands but I'll never go mad with it . If the game has just started and someone bets the pot or even two thirds of the pot then I'll probably lay it down and wait for a better spot .

If there's a flat call , I'll just limp then and hope the hand gets stronger on the turn .

I never seem to win much with these hands though .

This is possibly where that poker s/w would really come in handy, see how much you win from those situations.

DANCOO
17-05-2006, 05:31 PM
On reflection i perhaps should have slowed down on the turn but you're always inviting a bluff as well by doing that .

If I bet the flop with an uncertain hand, I will almost always bet on the turn aswell, as you say, you are inviting a bluff. Quite often they will fold the turn, but if they call to the river, then I generally try to see if there is a real made hand on the table - straights/flushes etc... If there is nothing obvious I will bet again, if I get raised, well, then it's decision time (value call maybe).

Reps AJ
17-05-2006, 11:17 PM
Neteller took me nearly 3 weeks to set up originally ( About 2 weeks before they deposited in my B/A ) .

I nearly didn't bother but I'm glad now i did because its a piece of piss to withdraw / deposit money + your able to access all the American gambling sites easily , which is an even bigger pain in the arse if you do it individually .

I've tried twice to get the test payement through and its not arrived either time... Might give it another go if I get the time

Micky Droy
18-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Would love to play a Daddy tourney, don't have enough of a bankroll yet to risk $330 though.:(

I won a crapshoot $16 qualifier to enter it.

Bust out of the tourney the hand aftrer I made my post. :sob:

DANCOO
18-05-2006, 02:10 PM
I won a crapshoot $16 qualifier to enter it.

Bust out of the tourney the hand aftrer I made my post. :sob:

I entered a crapshoot for the one the week before last.
$32 down in three minutes.:D

citizen sane
18-05-2006, 02:13 PM
This is possibly where that poker s/w would really come in handy, see how much you win from those situations.

Maybe , but i play these hands in different ways depending on position , players left , weakness of opponents , level of blinds , etc .

Would this s/w just give you average % won in a 100 hands for example , or would it be more detailed than that ?

DANCOO
18-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Maybe , but i play these hands in different ways depending on position , players left , weakness of opponents , level of blinds , etc .

Would this s/w just give you average % won in a 100 hands for example , or would it be more detailed than that ?

I believe it gives you information from all positions/blinds etc...

citizen sane
18-05-2006, 02:19 PM
then I generally try to see if there is a real made hand on the table - straights/flushes etc...

The ones i fear are players who have caught two pairs by limping in pre-flop . Generally i find these hands a lot harder to see coming .

I

citizen sane
18-05-2006, 02:26 PM
I believe it gives you information from all positions/blinds etc...

In that case then I'll try it out .

Does anyone have the link that Poolking posted up before please :)

Strathclyde Eagle
18-05-2006, 02:28 PM
The ones i fear are players who have caught two pairs by limping in pre-flop . Generally i find these hands a lot harder to see coming .
Sets are worse. At least if you have a pair against two pair at least you only need to hit one card. Holding TPTK against a set means you need to hit runner-runner in all likelihood to win the hand.

DANCOO
18-05-2006, 02:31 PM

In which case you just have to accept you got beaten by a better hand.
You can't make every call correctly, if there's value in calling, I would generally call.

citizen sane
18-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Sets are worse. At least if you have a pair against two pair at least you only need to hit one card. Holding TPTK against a set means you need to hit runner-runner in all likelihood to win the hand.

Definately !

The worst hand to be up against Imo .

citizen sane
18-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Just curious , but what would players on here consider to be the strongest part of their game ? and also the weakest ?

My strength would be trapping people , my whole game strategy is based around this .

Biggest weakness is that i don't bluff enough , also sometimes ,playing well for an hour or two in a tournie and then making a totally stupid amataur play and being bust out :(

Strathclyde Eagle
18-05-2006, 04:58 PM
Strength: Hand selection (not difficult).
Weakness: Spotting opponents with straights. Flushes are no problem, straights I consistently miss (unless the board is something obvious like J-10-9-8).

DANCOO
18-05-2006, 06:37 PM
Strength : Not afraid to lose.
Weakness : Changing gear when approaching the later stages of tournaments.
Biggest Improvement : Timing, playing low & mid pairs.

PoolKing
18-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Strength: Read and awareness
Weakness: my money and bankroll management has always been poorer than it should be

Strathclyde Eagle
20-05-2006, 01:24 PM
Was there ever any thought given to a bigger multi-table tournament? Could arrange it with another site instead of Ladbrokes so that users in America (i.e. Funk Butter) could be included?

Sunny Fan
20-05-2006, 11:00 PM
I'd be on for joining in with a BBS tourney some time.
Mostly use Blue Square now, but have a Laddies account too

DANCOO
20-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Just finished 4/1409 in the Weekly Raked Hands Freeroll Tourney (not bad considering at one point I was 220/223).
$2,475 + a $950 seat in the Poker Million Weekly Final tomorrow evening.
Will be my biggest tourney entry to date. Unfortunately it is a six seater, which is the only tournament table I used to like playing. Only now, I only play six seater ring games, and am prefer playing 10 seat tourneys.
Still, looking forward to it.:)

Funk Butter
21-05-2006, 12:23 AM
Just made a feeble attempt to catch the 5 billionth hand at Poker Stars. Was playing 5 tables of .10/.25 Omaha (because I could get on those without a problem) and one .50/1.00 NL table. Guy at the NL table was considering calling a 75 cent raise for 30 seconds before folding, then we get dealt hand 5000000954. F'n creep.

Billyd
21-05-2006, 01:58 AM
just came 21 at in $20 freezeout, top 20 paid, was big money too

citizen sane
21-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Just finished 4/1409 in the Weekly Raked Hands Freeroll Tourney (not bad considering at one point I was 220/223).
$2,475 + a $950 seat in the Poker Million Weekly Final tomorrow evening.
Will be my biggest tourney entry to date. Unfortunately it is a six seater, which is the only tournament table I used to like playing. Only now, I only play six seater ring games, and am prefer playing 10 seat tourneys.
Still, looking forward to it.:)

Blimey ! Good going Dan :p and best of luck in the Poker million a well .

citizen sane
21-05-2006, 09:43 AM
Was there ever any thought given to a bigger multi-table tournament? Could arrange it with another site instead of Ladbrokes so that users in America (i.e. Funk Butter) could be included?

I'd give it a go if we could get enough people interested .

Be interesting to see how eveyones game has come on since we used to play the BBS weekly game .

citizen sane
21-05-2006, 09:47 AM
Ordered this book yesterday along with the two Harrington books.
Need to be careful not to overload myself with information that I can't put to good use, but looking forward to getting them.

Mine arrived last week :)

The first Harrington book is the best and most helpful Poker book I've read so far , which reminds me i need to pull my finger out and order Vol 2 .

citizen sane
21-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Billyd

Unlucky - gutting to get that close and end up with nothing .

I love having a deep stack when it gets close to the money though , stealing from the small stacks is so much easier as people ( generally ) tighten right up .

DANCOO
21-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Blimey ! Good going Dan :p and best of luck in the Poker million a well .

Cheers.:p

I was looking back at some of the earlier posts in this thread, and saw one of mine where I won entry to a $210 tourney and how nervous about it I was. This one is obviously a lot bigger, but I'm actually quite confident going into this one.

DANCOO
21-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Mine arrived last week :)

The first Harrington book is the best and most helpful Poker book I've read so far , which reminds me i need to pull my finger out and order Vol 2 .

Mine should have arrived by Saturday, hopefully will get here tomorrow.
Looking forward to reading it.

DANCOO
21-05-2006, 10:04 AM

Learnt a lot going out in my first bubble a few of months back.
I was last but one and went over the top of a raise from the player UTG holding 77. Very silly thing to do, and I wouldn't do it now, he was holding QQ.
I went out and missed out on around $475 (which would have been my biggest win to date at that point), all other prizes were for Poker Million Final.

citizen sane
21-05-2006, 10:07 AM
Cheers.:p

I was looking back at some of the earlier posts in this thread, and saw one of mine where I won entry to a $210 tourney and how nervous about it I was. This one is obviously a lot bigger, but I'm actually quite confident going into this one.

Let us know how you got on then :)

Is this with Ladbrokes btw ?

DANCOO
21-05-2006, 10:13 AM

Is this with Ladbrokes btw ?

Yes Ladbrokes, this evening at 18:05

Funny how I used to hate longhand tourney tables, now I love them. Played the Poker Million Daily Final last week which was shorthand and just couldn't get into it and went out early. Need to have a think this evening about how to change my longhand tourney play to shorthand or I'll go out early again.

DANCOO
21-05-2006, 07:50 PM

Just went out.

173 starters, went out in 52nd.
Got out drawn a couple of times, gave a free card when I hit two pair on the flop (he raised pre-flop so was hoping I could check raise but he just checked aswell), he hit a straight on the turn and that reduced me quite a bit.
Was unlucky not to double up a couple of times when I was short stacked, but played ok.
Soooooo much harder to get chips out of people when the entries and payouts are so high. $20/$50 buy-ins, you go all-in with AK, and you'll get 44/AJ/KQ calling you, no chance of that happening at this level.

It didn't help that I fell asleep about 15 minutes before the tourney started and I missed the entire first half hour:clown: :moo:

Funk Butter
22-05-2006, 08:19 AM
PokerStars Tournament #25060721, Limit Omaha Hi/Lo
Buy-In: $20.00/$2.00
180 players
Total Prize Pool: $3600.00
Tournament started - 2006/05/22 - 00:15:00 (ET)

Dear FunkButter,

You finished the tournament in 1st place.
A $1,080.00 award has been credited to your Real Money account.
Decent haul that. Had a dude that didn't know the rules of Omaha continuing to outdraw me, but finally got rid of him when he thought his JJJ9 hand was good with a 97766 board.

DANCOO
22-05-2006, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Funk Butter
Decent haul that. Had a dude that didn't know the rules of Omaha continuing to outdraw me, but finally got rid of him when he thought his JJJ9 hand was good with a 97766 board.

Funk, do you find that knowing rules of other versions of poker helps in any way your Hold'em play?

citizen sane
22-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Just went out.

173 starters, went out in 52nd.
Got out drawn a couple of times, gave a free card when I hit two pair on the flop (he raised pre-flop so was hoping I could check raise but he just checked aswell), he hit a straight on the turn and that reduced me quite a bit.
Was unlucky not to double up a couple of times when I was short stacked, but played ok.
Soooooo much harder to get chips out of people when the entries and payouts are so high. $20/$50 buy-ins, you go all-in with AK, and you'll get 44/AJ/KQ calling you, no chance of that happening at this level.

It didn't help that I fell asleep about 15 minutes before the tourney started and I missed the entire first half hour:clown: :moo:

I was watching that hand where the bloke hit his straight -I wondered what you had . That crippled you really .

I assume your cards had run dry as well in the 20-30 hands i watched because you didn't bet at all . ( apart from the all-ins at the end )

Btw who was that bs( lots of numbers ) nob that was at your table - was he in love with the player to his left or something :rolleyes:

DANCOO
22-05-2006, 10:58 AM
I was watching that hand where the bloke hit his straight -I wondered what you had . That crippled you really .

I assume your cards had run dry as well in the 20-30 hands i watched because you didn't bet at all . ( apart from the all-ins at the end )

Btw who was that bs( lots of numbers ) nob that was at your table - was he in love with the player to his left or something :rolleyes:

Yeah, I was holding AJ, and the flop came something like AJK. Would have put him all in had he bet, but he checked and hit his straight :rolleyes:

Don't know who that BS bloke was, but yeah, he didn't half waffle on.

Sure the 20-30 hands he watched weren't from the very beginning when I was away in the land of nod.:S: :clown: (What a bloody stupid thing to do).:bash:

citizen sane
22-05-2006, 11:14 AM

Sure the 20-30 hands he watched weren't from the very beginning when I was away in the land of nod.:S: :clown: (What a bloody stupid thing to do).:bash:

Nope , I'd just finished a STT and thought I'd have a look and see how you was doing . Started watching about 10-15 hands before your AJ pot .

I liked the 3000 starting chips and 20 min blinds though , It makes a big difference in how you play your game i would imagine .

As an aside I've been playing a bit on the Ladbrokes 20 hand STT , I love the extra time it gives you to work out your opponents properly , etc .

Funk Butter
22-05-2006, 04:27 PM
Funk, do you find that knowing rules of other versions of poker helps in any way your Hold'em play?
Interesting question, not sure. I know it helps in my Omaha game when idiots don't know the rules. For some reason, I'm much better at working out my odds in Omaha than Hold'em. I guess that comes from Omaha being more of an after the flop game than Hold'em. Once the flop hits, I can determine pretty quickly what kind of chance I have in the hand.

SamTheOldGoat
23-05-2006, 09:33 AM
I use PokerStars, username GOATFACESAM and Betfair under username The Harri........ Generally $12 sit and go's, but also the $210 Poker millions on Sunday nights

citizen sane
24-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Played in the 10k Guaranteed on Betfair last night .

Came 112th out of 370 odd players but it was a struggle . A terrible dry run of cards meant i had to steal much more than i would normally . Had my 10/10 cracked in the end by AQ .

What really suprised me though was the amount of poor play for a £25 buy-in tournie . I watched a lot of players doing the same thing that you see in low buy-in events .E.G ; Going all-in with AK /AQ/AJ post flop when theres only low cards on the board , going mad with top pair / low kicker , etc . There seemed to be an all-in bet every couple of hands as well :confused:

DANCOO
24-05-2006, 08:29 PM
hehe, sitting in a MTT, last place just doubled up and went all in again with one caller.
Shortstack holding AA, caller holding AK.

Flop - K46
Turn - K
River - K

:D

Sunny Fan
24-05-2006, 08:44 PM
435 players in a 60 cent MTT, was completely down and out, caught quad 5s when forced into all in by the blinds, ended up 5th. 2+ hours for $11.74, but happy.

Second MTT of the night was $5 in, came 4th, $93. V happy again:)

saul1664
25-05-2006, 07:49 PM
Two things:

1) Having played my first live game recently (for points not money), I did quite well, lasted 3 and a half hours and finished 7th out of 60. Sponsored by Poker.co.uk, you accumulate points over a month and get onto a final table each month, where prizes are world series etc., they can't give money as it's in a pub. Would have lasted longer but 200/400 blinds went up to 2000/4000 as it was getting near to closing time then 10000/20000!!! One incident, called a raise of 1000, only one person in the pot he flips over his cards on the flop, you all in then I ask, no he says, then lets me play the turn and river whilst I know his cards (I won!!!), probably should have been a void hand. What's the procedure when someone unwittingly turns their cards over mid game.

2) If you go to pokerinside.com, and download CDPoker, you will get £10 free and 30-40% rakeback, no strings attached.

Funk Butter
25-05-2006, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by saul1664
Two things:

1) Having played my first live game recently (for points not money), I did quite well, lasted 3 and a half hours and finished 7th out of 60. Sponsored by Poker.co.uk, you accumulate points over a month and get onto a final table each month, where prizes are world series etc., they can't give money as it's in a pub. Would have lasted longer but 200/400 blinds went up to 2000/4000 as it was getting near to closing time then 10000/20000!!! One incident, called a raise of 1000, only one person in the pot he flips over his cards on the flop, you all in then I ask, no he says, then lets me play the turn and river whilst I know his cards (I won!!!), probably should have been a void hand. What's the procedure when someone unwittingly turns their cards over mid game.

That used to be a somewhat common practice, you exposed one or both of your cards to get a read on your opponent, but not anymore. If you show your cards during a live hand, you automatically fold. If there are still more hands in play, your cards remain face up for the duration of the hand. Of course, that is in major tournaments here in the US, could be different elsewhere. I accidently exposed my hand once at the last WSOP, felt pretty bad, cause I was like 2nd to act. It wasn't my fault though, those damn tables had a crappy logo that kept causing cards to flip over.

Billyd
25-05-2006, 09:25 PM
anyone playing on sporting odds

Billyd
26-05-2006, 12:47 AM
just about to enter a $10 freezout il let u know how i get on

grey ghost
26-05-2006, 08:07 AM
had spooky and ultimately disappointing run in multi tourneys $5 and $10 sit ins normally around 300 plus people .
last 6 tourneys , came 1st once , 5th once, the other 4times been going very well ,just outside payout structure , all in agaianst one other been leading right up to the river and been beaten by a queen every single time
a queen to make a flush agasinst my straight , a queen to make a full house agasinst my flush , a queen to make trips against my top 2 pair ,
a queen to make a run againt my trips .
I HATE QUEENS

DANCOO
26-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Well, I think it might be time to pretty much knock the cash games on the head and stick to the tourneys.
I'm down about $700 in three days moving up a level to $1/$2. I've just given my full concentration to one tourney in particuar ($25 - $4,000 GTD), for the first time in around a week, and I came third scooping $612.
Tournies seems to be where the money is for me. I will just use cash games (probably $0.50/$1.00), to rack up my 500 weekly raked hands to get entered into the main weekly freeroll, and that will be it for me on the cash tables.

Anyone else largely excel in one form compared to the other?

Sunny Fan
26-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Doing much better with tourneys. Generally 60% of the time I end up in the three money tables (patience and aggression at the right time); from there I'll make maybe half the final tables. Have won a couple, got good money on a few.

citizen sane
27-05-2006, 08:50 AM

Anyone else largely excel in one form compared to the other?

I don't know about excel but all i play are MTT & STT . My game is much better suited to these .

I just come unstuck if i sit at cash tables nowadays .

citizen sane
27-05-2006, 09:09 AM
Doing much better with tourneys.

Whats the standard like on Bluesquare generally ?

Are the MTT set up like Ladrokes / Bet365 or Will Hill / Betfair where they start taking a rake at level 8 ?

Sunny Fan
27-05-2006, 09:29 AM
You need patience on your hands as people tend to go all in when they get nervy, so it's often not wise to call on a half hand. I do tend to stick to the lower (up to $10) stakes though, which might explain the more random nature of the games. But if you wait for hands that also means you can increase your stack to a level where you can start to dominate and see the flop on half hands. No rakes at all. You generally pay 10% of the entry fee as a rake from the start. If you want to sign up, send me your email details as I think I get a finder's fee.

Mat ov CPFC
27-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by grey ghost
had spooky and ultimately disappointing run in multi tourneys $5 and $10 sit ins normally around 300 plus people .
last 6 tourneys , came 1st once , 5th once, the other 4times been going very well ,just outside payout structure , all in agaianst one other been leading right up to the river and been beaten by a queen every single time
a queen to make a flush agasinst my straight , a queen to make a full house agasinst my flush , a queen to make trips against my top 2 pair ,
a queen to make a run againt my trips .
I HATE QUEENS

Aint played Poker for a while but my own rule was always...DITCH THE BITCH !

Mat ov CPFC
27-05-2006, 09:55 AM
My rule, btw, only ever applies to my own hand. I hate drawing 2 queens in Hold'em.

You know you should fold them but you never can quite do so and they hardly ever turn out to win anything.

citizen sane
27-05-2006, 10:54 AM
You need patience on your hands as people tend to go all in when they get nervy, so it's often not wise to call on a half hand. I do tend to stick to the lower (up to $10) stakes though, which might explain the more random nature of the games. But if you wait for hands that also means you can increase your stack to a level where you can start to dominate and see the flop on half hands. No rakes at all. You generally pay 10% of the entry fee as a rake from the start. If you want to sign up, send me your email details as I think I get a finder's fee.

Seems the same as all the other low level tournies I've played in .

I'll have a look at the site , if i sign up I'll let you know beforehand so you can claim any bonus .

citizen sane
27-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Mat ov CPFC
My rule, btw, only ever applies to my own hand. I hate drawing 2 queens in Hold'em.

You know you should fold them but you never can quite do so and they hardly ever turn out to win anything.

Pockets queens have been really good to me in tournies - I seldom lose with them .

Pocket kings on the other hand :rolleyes:

Lambeth Palace
27-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Pocket kings on the other hand :rolleyes:

I definitely know where you're coming from there.

citizen sane
27-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Just made a terrible play in a tournie :(

Playing nicely and sitting 20th out of 34 ( 130 entrants ) When i get A9 suited ( spades )on the button .

Small blind was a very tight player, BB a player who called almost anything but almost always got pushed of the pot post flop .

Everyone had folded before so i raise 3x blinds , SB folds and BB calls as expected .

Flop was J 9 3 ( 2 spades )

BB checks and i bet 2x pot expecting him to fold ......But he reraises all-in and because of betting so much on the flop I'm pot committed . :rolleyes: So i call he turns over 10 ,10 and its good enough to knock me out.

I seem to have this achilles heel in tournies sometimes where I'll play ok , be in a good position , and then blow it all with a really stupid move
:(

Billyd
27-05-2006, 02:29 PM

I seem to have this achilles heel in tournies sometimes where I'll play ok , be in a good position , and then blow it all with a really stupid move

sounds very much like me, as the mo i say i get in the money in multi tables every 4-5 tourneys but i reckon i could do alot better if i just folded some hands i just dont lay down

speechless
27-05-2006, 07:17 PM
i have had a good day's poker today. playing pokerroom.com (play money, im a student though i wish i coulda afford it), its been straights and flushes galore today. started off the day with $700 or so and struggled early on, down to about $500, then hit some form/serious luck.

because the funds were diminishing at a farily rapid rate, i decided to stick to the low tables, fixed maximum pot. then on the river i get a ••••••• royal flush - the prize for my efforts, $600 or so - not very much.

been doing well since then though, used that money to move up to no limit tables and got a couple of flushes/pairs to get up to around the $1500 mark. then i get dealt 7 and 9, flop = two 7s + queen spades. knew i was onto a winner AND i was playing no limits so fancied my chances to double my money. anyway, on the turn up pops the other 7 - hand in the bag me thinks. i bet 2 x pot to see who wanted some and one bloke goes all-in ($2200).

back of the net says i. will call it day after that!

Gav The Hamster
27-05-2006, 08:08 PM
lol, this is play money right ?

Strathclyde Eagle
27-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Just made a terrible play in a tournie :(

Playing nicely and sitting 20th out of 34 ( 130 entrants ) When i get A9 suited ( spades )on the button .

Small blind was a very tight player, BB a player who called almost anything but almost always got pushed of the pot post flop .

Everyone had folded before so i raise 3x blinds , SB folds and BB calls as expected .

Flop was J 9 3 ( 2 spades )

BB checks and i bet 2x pot expecting him to fold ......But he reraises all-in and because of betting so much on the flop I'm pot committed . :rolleyes: So i call he turns over 10 ,10 and its good enough to knock me out.

Not sure he's played that especially well either. He hasn't got top pair and by the sounds of things didn't have any kind of flush draw (much less a nut flush). What could he have done had you taken the free card and then made your flush on the turn?

citizen sane
28-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Not sure he's played that especially well either. He hasn't got top pair and by the sounds of things didn't have any kind of flush draw (much less a nut flush). What could he have done had you taken the free card and then made your flush on the turn?

No , I'm not sure why he done that either especially considering my table image was of someone who only played with strong hands so consequently any bets i made were usually respected .

Still no excuse for overbetting the pot though .

citizen sane
28-05-2006, 10:26 AM
If you want to sign up, send me your email details as I think I get a finder's fee.

Ok , got no problem with signing up and giving their site a go .

Only problem is theres a raked hand requirement for getting it , so it might be worth checking because most sites don't include STT & MTT as counting towards the rake .

SamTheOldGoat
28-05-2006, 10:40 AM
Just smashed up 2 $35 dollar 6 handed comps, $140 dollars a time. They are too easy, don't play cash,play the odd $20/$50 freezout, but imo there's so much dead money in small handed comps it's unreal. Try it guys, rather than 10 handed games!

With regards to flipping cards over, if your opponent is ALL IN, and you have to make a call, being hte only player left to play, you CAN turn your cards over to make a read if your cards haven't touched the muck pile adn aren't over the line :)

Any pokerstars/interpoker players here?

SamTheOldGoat
28-05-2006, 10:47 AM
Also, Betfairs Night Xpress at midnight is a good comp.......

SamTheOldGoat
28-05-2006, 10:52 AM
DanCOo-just looked at page 1 when you played 0.25/0.50 and were happy winning a tenner! How things change hey>!>!

I used to play £1 NL tournys on betfair last Summer when I first started playing, now only play $12/$35 sng's....

Does the BBS still run a tourny on laddies guys?

citizen sane
28-05-2006, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by SamTheOldGoat

We haven't had one for ages now .

SamTheOldGoat
28-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Who has run them in the past CS?

citizen sane
28-05-2006, 01:25 PM
Who has run them in the past CS?

There was 3/4 of us that had private tables set up .Dancoo is the only one i can remember though .

Mine unfortunately started playing up and I've been to lazy to put it right .

citizen sane
28-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Also, Betfairs Night Xpress at midnight is a good comp.......

Betfair seems to have a higher than usual % of lunatics and crap players who will go all-in at the drop of a hat and this happens even on the higher buy-ins .

This isn't to bad if your winning the races but sooner or later i find some clown will cripple me after putting me all-in when I'm ahead and then catching up - very frustrating at times :(

( edit ) you expect loose play in the early levels but this seems to happen all the way through to the final tables in my experience .

citizen sane
28-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Try it guys, rather than 10 handed games!

If your patient and your big hands hold up you can normally get close / or in the money just by this strategy alone on a 10 seater .

Short handed tables especially passive ones with a lot of limping means i see many more flops than usual + gives me the chance to employ a wider range of plays .

I have about the same level of success whatever the table though .

stevejfh
28-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Just smashed up 2 $35 dollar 6 handed comps, $140 dollars a time. They are too easy, don't play cash,play the odd $20/$50 freezout, but imo there's so much dead money in small handed comps it's unreal. Try it guys, rather than 10 handed games!

90% of the online poker I play is at 6 handed sit n go tournaments. My level is normally $5, occasionally $10 if I'm feeling brave. I concur with your point about the dead money - some of the plays I see stagger me. It's as if people don't like their money.

SamTheOldGoat
28-05-2006, 03:22 PM
CS-What site do you use then?

Agree Steve-CRAZY play

citizen sane
28-05-2006, 05:49 PM
CS-What site do you use then?

Ladbrokes , Bet365 , Party Poker and Pacific poker for STT & MTT .

Will hill and Betfair for MTT only .

DANCOO
28-05-2006, 08:48 PM
DanCOo-just looked at page 1 when you played 0.25/0.50 and were happy winning a tenner! How things change hey>!>!

I used to play £1 NL tournys on betfair last Summer when I first started playing, now only play $12/$35 sng's....

My word, was it really only a year ago, I could have sworn I had now been playing for at least two!

PoolKing
28-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Betfair seems to have a higher than usual % of lunatics and crap players who will go all-in at the drop of a hat and this happens even on the higher buy-ins .

Betfair seems to have a relatively large number of Italian players. There is a general concensus that French and Italian players tend to be the worst. I am not sure of the reasons behind it but from my experience I would certainly agree with it.

Billyd
28-05-2006, 09:21 PM

Will hill and Betfair for MTT only .

are these good for mtt? i find most sites often have too many players

SamTheOldGoat
28-05-2006, 09:24 PM
CS-?!??! Did you not know that these two run on the same server, i.e. signing up for a game on Betfair you'll be playing those who have signed up for the same stake game on Will Hill!

SamTheOldGoat
28-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Billy-Give Pokerstars, a go, SOOOOOOOOOO many types of game around from the lowest of low stakes to the 100/200 stakes :)

DANCOO
29-05-2006, 01:35 AM
:lux: I have just played my most perfect game of poker yet:lux:

Had not played at all this weekend until tonight, a $50 re-buy - $10K GTD tourney. 162 entrants put $12,200 in the pot.

Wasn't doing too well at one point and was sitting around 110/120
I clicked the 're-buy' option, but when it was offered, as I didn't feel too great, I thought I wouldn't waste another $50 if I was just going to go out early so decided not to bother. Kept having my blinds stolen by one player in particular, but wasn't too fussed as I was able to trap pretty well on the table I was on.
Anyway, I make the final table and am sitting in 7th, but it's not long until I am 1/5.
I was getting a HUGE amount of respect for my bets and raises, and although I wasn't stealing too much pre-flop, I was betting every post flop I bet into or called a raise and I was picking up maybe 90% of those types of pot. Also picked up two very big pots with two big re-raise bluffs.
Get to heads up and I'm leading around 200,000 chips to 160,000.
I hit top pair on the flop, and after a raise, I go all in. He's got mid pair, and hits turn AND river to give him a full house.
Leaving him with about 320,000 chips to my 40,000 chips - blinds were around 1,500/2,000
Was determined not to just give in, and fortunately my table image stood up as a player who plays strong hands meant I was able to bully him with my meagre stack representing virtually every card which hit.
Finally get him all in - me with AQ, him with KJ. This doubles me up and makes me chip leader.
Final hand I hit two-pair on the turn but continue with small bets. He raises big, I re-raise all-in and it's all over.
My two pair beats whatever he had (couldn't bring my self to look), and I claim the spoils of victory.:D

Bact to back final tables aswell:lux:

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/3620/untitled5po.gif

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/3620/untitled5po.gif

Micky Droy
29-05-2006, 11:12 AM
Dancoo - that's brilliant. Congratulations. I'm glad it's all paying off for you.

SamTheOldGoat
29-05-2006, 12:05 PM
Top work Dancoo! WELL DONE!

citizen sane
29-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Great work again Dancoo :lux:

You'll be doing this full time soon at this rate :)

citizen sane
29-05-2006, 12:21 PM
are these good for mtt? i find most sites often have too many players

Their good for lower level buy-in tournies , which are run quite regulary ...Be cautious if your buying in between £20-£50 because there is still a lot of lunatic play which may catch you out if your expecting a higher standard .

If you buy in from £2 -£20 then I'd say play very carefully until at least level 4 ...Unless your sure about something of course . If you have a strong hand though the chances are you will be able to milk it better .

Be prepared to see some very strange plays though
:D

citizen sane
29-05-2006, 12:22 PM
CS-?!??! Did you not know that these two run on the same server, i.e. signing up for a game on Betfair you'll be playing those who have signed up for the same stake game on Will Hill!

That would explain why they have identical MTT at the same time then .

citizen sane
29-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Billy-Give Pokerstars, a go, SOOOOOOOOOO many types of game around from the lowest of low stakes to the 100/200 stakes :)

I actually have the software downloaded for pokerstars but have never got around to registring properly .

DANCOO
29-05-2006, 01:24 PM
Cheers M_D, STOG & C_S:p

Great work again Dancoo :lux:

You'll be doing this full time soon at this rate :)

This is actually where I have to be careful.

Being made redundant at the end of this month will leave me with some time on my hands. Doing well at poker probably isn't what I need at this moment as I should be looking for a job. The more I win though, the more I can take it easy. The more I take it easy, the longer I will be out of work and the harder it will be to get back in to work.
I don't think I'm ready to start relying on online poker to pay the bills just yet, so will need to force myself to get my CV out before the end of next month.
Still, I'll enjoy it while it lasts as I'm sure I will hit a poor run of form eventually.

SamTheOldGoat
29-05-2006, 01:40 PM
It happens, I have bad weeks, lifes a bitch and then you marry one!

Great attitude though above, definitely worth just keeping it for your spare time :)

citizen sane
29-05-2006, 02:42 PM
Cheers M_D, STOG & C_S:p

This is actually where I have to be careful.

Being made redundant at the end of this month will leave me with some time on my hands. Doing well at poker probably isn't what I need at this moment as I should be looking for a job. The more I win though, the more I can take it easy. The more I take it easy, the longer I will be out of work and the harder it will be to get back in to work.
I don't think I'm ready to start relying on online poker to pay the bills just yet, so will need to force myself to get my CV out before the end of next month.
Still, I'll enjoy it while it lasts as I'm sure I will hit a poor run of form eventually.

I can see the dilemma - Very sensible approach though .

citizen sane
29-05-2006, 02:59 PM
Not in the same league as Dancoo but i just won a $55 STT on my first attempt on party poker :)

Been playing on the $20-$30 dollar tables for a while now and my game has come on to the point where I've been averaging about $ 200 a week profit for six weeks now ( although this may be luck :o ) And this isn't including the $100 odd a week that I'm skimming off to buy-in on MTT .

Micky Droy
29-05-2006, 03:10 PM
I just registered on betfred. Very low stakes mainly it seems. Not too bright play so far either. Limpy limpy round the table. Tourneys are very infrequent it seems. has anyone made good money off this site?

Micky Droy
29-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Not in the same league as Dancoo but i just won a $55 STT on my first attempt on party poker :)

Nice one. I got addicted to the 100$ sit n gos on that site, did rather well then crashed and burned on the really high stakes ones. It's sop fast and furious it swept me along. Game selection - that's my number 1 weakness.

Strathclyde Eagle
29-05-2006, 03:25 PM
I just registered on betfred. Very low stakes mainly it seems. Not too bright play so far either. Limpy limpy round the table. Tourneys are very infrequent it seems. has anyone made good money off this site?
I've heard that the bonus there is decent and as it is on the same network as Titan it means that you needn't go bonus hunting over there. Far better terms apparently. As for game selection, no idea.

DANCOO
29-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Can someone confirm to me please exactly how the poker s/w networks work.
I only play Ladbrokes now, and whenever I'm in a tourney I never hear/see anyone referring to their badbeats etc...to anyone except Labrokes. Are Labrokes on their own network, or do they share tourneys with other sites?

Micky Droy
29-05-2006, 04:10 PM
They are their own network. They use the microgaming engine I believe, but aren;t a network.

So I made a nice $300in an hour on Betfred, cashed out because the skin was so garish, put in into PartyPoker.

$55 sitngo 10 seater. First hand. AA last to play. I raise 4x the BB. Small blind calls me. flop is 852. I bet strong, he raises, I am pot ocmmitted... he called my raise in SB and no other players in with 58 off suit. Good to be back.

Strathclyde Eagle
29-05-2006, 11:02 PM
I'm guessing Ladbrokes have their own network because they don't players from America play on it.

grey ghost
30-05-2006, 01:27 AM
i normally play $5, $10, $20 mtt , and i do quite well , anyone that plays the higher in tables i.e $50 and 100 , is the quality of play noticebly better ?

Micky Droy
30-05-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by grey ghost
i normally play $5, $10, $20 mtt , and i do quite well , anyone that plays the higher in tables i.e $50 and 100 , is the quality of play noticebly better ?

Yeah, in MTT you find the standard improves the later on you go in the tourney, and at higher buy ins, especially if there aren't lots of cheap qualifiers, you do get a better standard of play.

It's rarer to see a flop cheaply. Lower buy in tournies seem to have a few early rounds where people are content to see a flop for a blind and hope to hit.

You still get mentalists, of course.

Reps AJ
30-05-2006, 10:23 AM
$55 sitngo 10 seater. First hand. AA last to play. I raise 4x the BB. Small blind calls me. flop is 852. I bet strong, he raises, I am pot ocmmitted... he called my raise in SB and no other players in with 58 off suit. Good to be back.

I do wonder at people who will call a raise with any old junk just because they've put in one of the blinds. Sometimes it can make sense if you're getting huge pot odds and can see a relatively cheap flop, but if you just call because you think you're getting bluffed how can you do it with junk?

Gav The Hamster
30-05-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by KevTheOptimist
Yep, I can be found online at Ladbrokes fairly often! Not sure about the making loads of cash bit although I have been through some good streaks at times!!

Very enjoyable but also very addictive, my advice is to go to laddies and play on the small tables to start(.10 - .20 cents) till your confident then hit the $100 dollar blinds.

This time next year you'll be a miwionaire

Just over a year on, did u ever make it as a "miwionaire" ?

KevTheOptimist
30-05-2006, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Gav The Hamster
Just over a year on, did u ever make it as a "miwionaire" ?

No

KevTheOptimist
30-05-2006, 12:59 PM
Can I please ask the good poker playing folk if you would be a bit cheesed off if someone called your raise as follows:

Blinds .50 - 1

Am on the button holding AA and raise $5. Two callers. Flop comes 8c 10c 2d. First to act bets $5, 2nd calls and I go all in for around $80. One caller who is holding Jc 9c. He does of couse hit his club on the river.

I understand the outs this guy had, 17 I believe but is that worth nearly 90% of his stack to call?

Personally I would have let it go but in hindsight he figured 17 outs from 37 cards = 45%, pot size roughly $100 to call = 80% of pot. Clearly he didn't have the correct odds to call and was playing alosing strategy over time but am interested to know if you lot would have called.

Just for interest, I had him on AJ, AK, AQ etc with a missed flop based on his previous plays.

Strathclyde Eagle
30-05-2006, 01:13 PM
He's got an open-ended straight flush draw, can't really expect him to lay it down.

Personally I'd also interpret the all-in for such a big amount to show weakness and that you're just trying to bully him off the pot. Don't forget that as well as you reading him he's probably reading you. If he's seen you bully people off a pot before he's probably geared up to make a call on thinking you've not got very much.

Gav The Hamster
30-05-2006, 01:13 PM
i think you have to put at least one of them on a straight and/or flush draw and personally i wouldnt put in $80 on with that flop but i know your more aggressive so each to their own.

He may have you on a complete bluff considering your raise was huge on the flop and it looks as though your merely trying to steal the pot with AK and therefore he is more of a favourite to win the hand than you are. I have to admit if i saw that bet on a table i would think bluff but then at the same time i certainly wouldnt have the bollocks to call it with his hand either.

Looking at the number of outs, i dont think he would be far wrong to call with his pot odds. There is already $15 or so pre flop and then $90 including your raise to give a total pot of $115ish. I dont really understand pot odds but i think he has the correct percentages to potentially make a call.

I think your unlucky, I would never call a bet that size with a draw but i dont think its a shocking beat (well not at the time all the money went in). To get river ••••ed is a different matter !!

KevTheOptimist
30-05-2006, 01:23 PM
It wasn't a shocking beat, I understood the call when he flipped over his hand although I was a bit peeved I just put it down to bad luck more than anything else.

The table I was playing on was ultra aggressive and only a few hands earlier I made a set with pocket queens and got two callers to a $30 raise to take down a nice pot. This hand followed the same betting routine and I personally think this guy had me on exactly what I did have and thought it was worth a call knowing that any of his outs would guarantee the pot as there was no way I was drawing.

I had a look through this guys tables and he was currently on around 7 or 8 tables and was up by nearly double the buy in on every table. My conspiracy mind went into overdrive before I reminded myself that that is all tosh

Strathclyde Eagle
30-05-2006, 01:33 PM
I had a look through this guys tables and he was currently on around 7 or 8 tables and was up by nearly double the buy in on every table. My conspiracy mind went into overdrive before I reminded myself that that is all tosh
In that case I'd guess he has the bankroll to chase a draw with that kind of price. $80 probably isn't a lot to him. Of course if you'd had something like AcKc or AcQc then he's only got outs for a straight.

KevTheOptimist
30-05-2006, 01:39 PM
That was the conclusion I came to.

stevejfh
30-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Can I please ask the good poker playing folk if you would be a bit cheesed off if someone called your raise as follows:

Blinds .50 - 1

Am on the button holding AA and raise $5. Two callers. Flop comes 8c 10c 2d. First to act bets $5, 2nd calls and I go all in for around $80. One caller who is holding Jc 9c. He does of couse hit his club on the river.

I understand the outs this guy had, 17 I believe but is that worth nearly 90% of his stack to call?

Personally I would have let it go but in hindsight he figured 17 outs from 37 cards = 45%, pot size roughly $100 to call = 80% of pot. Clearly he didn't have the correct odds to call and was playing alosing strategy over time but am interested to know if you lot would have called.

Just for interest, I had him on AJ, AK, AQ etc with a missed flop based on his previous plays.

You didn't say what suit your Aces were. Assuming you didn't have the Ace of clubs, your opponent was a 56% favourite in the hand when calling your all-in. If you had the club he was 53% favourite. Calling cost him $75 to potentially win a pot of $180. The hand you had was one of the worst case scenarios from his point of view. There were plenty of other hands you might've had where he was an even stronger favourite. Very easy call in my book.

stevejfh
30-05-2006, 02:48 PM

Blinds .50 - 1

And your maths is a little wayward, I think. His outs are 4x7s + 4xQs + 7xclubs = 15. You don't count the 7 & Q of clubs twice.

And there were 47 cards left in the calculation! 52 card deck minus his 2 hole cards & the 3 community cards on the board.

KevTheOptimist
30-05-2006, 02:58 PM
Outs for the st8 = 4 x 7 + 4 x Q = 8
Outs for flush = 13 - 2 - 2 = 9 less the Q and 7 above

Therefore 15 outs - you are correct

52 cards in a deck, 6 handed table, 3 cards on flop leaves 52 - 12 - 3 = 37 cards left to come.

This is where my maths gets a bit hazy but assuming 1 card to come then odds are 15 / 36 = 42 % with 2 cards to come I'm not to sure on the odds. How do you get that he was 56% to win that hand?

Am intrigued, and perhaps this is why I don't make correct calls and bets !!

stevejfh
30-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Outs for the st8 = 4 x 7 + 4 x Q = 8
Outs for flush = 13 - 2 - 2 = 9

Therefore 17 outs

52 cards in a deck, 6 handed table, 3 cards on flop leaves 52 - 12 - 3 = 37 cards left to come.

This is where my maths gets a bit hazy but assuming 1 card to come then odds are 17 / 36 = 47 % with 2 cards to come I'm not to sure on the odds. How do you get that he was 56% to win that hand?

15 outs!! You are counting the 7 of clubs & the queen of clubs twice.

Here's a poker calculator which tells you your exact chances of winning a hand at any given stage.
http://www.thehendonmob.com/pokercalc/index.html

DANCOO
30-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by stevejfh

Here's a poker calculator which tells you your exact chances of winning a hand at any given stage.
http://www.thehendonmob.com/pokercalc/index.html

That page is one of my IE 'favourites' :D

stevejfh
30-05-2006, 03:12 PM
Nice bit of editing Kev! :D

Normally when you've got a tough decision to make, you don't have time to stick your cards in a calculator. A fairly accurate method I use to quickly come to a decision is to multiply your number of outs by 2. This is your percentage chance of hitting your cards prior to the river. Multiply by 2 again if the turn & river are still to come.

oz_da II
30-05-2006, 03:17 PM
Therefore 15 outs - you are correct

This is where my maths gets a bit hazy but assuming 1 card to come then odds are 15 / 36 = 42 % with 2 cards to come I'm not to sure on the odds. How do you get that he was 56% to win that hand?

You have subtracted 12 for some reason. When calculating the odds you can't subtract the cards that the other players are holding or the cards they have folded because you have no idea what those cards are.

Best thing to do is use the rule of 4 (when 2 cards to come) and rule of 2 (when 1 card to come).

Strathclyde Eagle
30-05-2006, 03:29 PM
And of course sometimes you're behind the whole way anyway, and all hitting one of your outs does is get you in even more trouble. That's rare though thankfully. :)

Conversely sometimes you're always ahead. Speaking of which it reminds me of a hand I saw at the weekend in a tournament.

I've folded in early position and a short stack from mid-position goes all-in. A few other players fold and the player near the button takes his time and then calls.

The short stack was only trying to steal the blinds with 9-2 offsuit! The other guy made what I thought was pretty good call (as it turned out) with A-2 offsuit. Cue a 9 on the turn, ouch!

DANCOO
30-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by stevejfh
Nice bit of editing Kev! :D

Normally when you've got a tough decision to make, you don't have time to stick your cards in a calculator. A fairly accurate method I use to quickly come to a decision is to multiply your number of outs by 2. This is your percentage chance of hitting your cards prior to the river. Multiply by 2 again if the turn & river are still to come.

Also taking into account that your outs could actually be outs for someone else with a bigger hand.
So many times I've been calling on a flush draw with my (for example), J/Q high only for no flush card to hit. The river gets checked down and the other player shows his K/A high flush draw.
Obviously when you do hit the lower flush, you can probably say goodbye to most of your stack.:hi:

EDIT : As Strathclyde Eagle mentioned.

citizen sane
30-05-2006, 04:22 PM

Blinds .50 - 1

I would have called in a STT or MTT , the amount of outs in that hand usually makes you a slight favourite whatever the other person is holding . Also there's no way you could have made the pot odds unfavourable to call no matter what you bet because its basically a 50/50 shot .

( edit ) just realised others have said the same thing .

citizen sane
30-05-2006, 04:26 PM
That page is one of my IE 'favourites' :D

Same as me :D

citizen sane
30-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Six games into the $55 STT and my record so far is ; W / 3RD / 3RD / L / W / 2ND .

Pretty pleased with this although i was very lucky in a couple of games by winning big pots when i started as a big underdog .

In the last game i run into a very good player , who , even though we started about equal in chips heads up , completely demolished me with better play .

Don't think I'm ready for the big boy $100 STT for a while yet .

Strathclyde Eagle
31-05-2006, 09:00 PM
Work of genius. :)

http://www.teddykgb.org/

Micky Droy
02-06-2006, 07:05 AM
Have a look at this boys - http://www.pokeroffice.com/download.html

It does REAL TIME stats for all the players on the table (and remembers all the hands shown) - like Poker Tracker. But more than that it calculates pot odds and tells you how many outs you have.

oz_da II
02-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Christ on a bike, you get some ••••wits on the internet.

Had some idiot telling people how to play against me. Playing an MTT and consistently stealing blinds from almost any position with any two cards to a bunch of passive folders. Anyway 9-7o (hit a flush on the river) beats his JJ's for a nice sized pot and he loses it. He starts telling people how to play against me with quite a bit of abuse.

Cut a long story short (about 30 mins of this rubbish), I raise with J-9c get one caller (equal stack). J 9 x comes up. I check, "villain" bets, I raise 4BB. Villain pauses, idiot types go all in he's got nothing etc etc. I'm thinking yes please. He goes all in. I call. He turns over K9. Nice going to double up here...

K on the river. :grrr:

Idiot says.... "see he's a bluffer".
Villain goes "yes, thnx"

Unbelievable

Idiot - Ladbrokes name of "acesbcfc"

SamTheOldGoat
03-06-2006, 07:26 AM
Kev, I would have made the call your opponent did with 2 cards to come and 15 or so outs... Just got unlucky, but 50/50 you would have won it

www.sharkscope.com, Very helpful and you can check STT stats, not it doesnt include cash but posisbly MTT

Had a good week on the stars, made some large money playing Omaha and 1/2 NLH

Billyd
05-06-2006, 08:53 PM
everyone like my new avatar?

Billyd
05-06-2006, 08:57 PM

www.sharkscope.com, Very helpful and you can check STT stats, not it doesnt include cash but posisbly MTT

check out billyd77 on pokerroom, ive had alot more sucsess on sportingodds too

Fester
06-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Anyone up for a pre World Cup game tomorrow night on the BBS table(s) as I suspect it'll be a number of weeks before another opportunity to play presents itself? Or has the Wednesday night poker ceased for good now?

Billyd
06-06-2006, 05:55 PM
what site is this on?

Fester
06-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Ladbrokes

Strathclyde Eagle
06-06-2006, 09:23 PM
This week's ESPN Poker Edge podcast is a ridiculous 62 minutes in length. I really need a train to derail for my morning commute to last that long. :eek:

Fult Tilt podcasts tend to be a more sensible 5-10 minutes long.

Funk Butter
06-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Was on vacation down in Florida this past weekend. Went to the dogtrack for some action, they also had a poker room on the top floor. Some of the worst players I've ever seen. It was a 10-handed game and I swear the percentage seeing the flop was around 70% for the 2 hours I was there. Only made $25 in the 2 hours, but that was after figuring out that all these idiots were hitting on the river. Flopped the wheel on my big win and got reraised when old guy thought his trips 2's were good. Best hand I saw had a board of A5A5, the guy to my right shows me his QQ. Well now, you can easily get away from that hand. But no, he reraises. Into a bet and reraise. Got what he deserved when two other hands showed Aces. And one guy stayed in the hand with a 5, thinking that might win too.

saul1664
06-06-2006, 09:59 PM
whats the best thing to do with KA, when you put someone on a fairly good pair TT upwards, especially in tournament play, how much of a favourite is say QQ against KA?

DANCOO
06-06-2006, 10:00 PM
This week's ESPN Poker Edge podcast is a ridiculous 62 minutes in length. I really need a train to derail for my morning commute to last that long. :eek:

Fult Tilt podcasts tend to be a more sensible 5-10 minutes long.

What are they then?

DANCOO
06-06-2006, 10:00 PM
whats the best thing to do with KA, when you put someone on a fairly good pair TT upwards, especially in tournament play, how much of a favourite is say QQ against KA?

QQ slight favourite (about 55% I think).

Funk Butter
06-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Anywhere between 53.5 and 57%, depending on the suits.

DANCOO
06-06-2006, 10:53 PM

As far as playing AK against someone who you think is holding a PP (not A's or K's), and you are fairly certain of their hand, then you want to see the flop as cheaply as possible. Personally, I will call all-in bets holding AK for so many reasons, but you would be a slight dog.
If you can see the flop fairly cheap then you can get off the hand easily enough if you don't hit, unless of course, you get the correct pot odds to see the next card, which is probably unlikely as he would probably put you all-in...but even an all-in bet may still give you the correct odds.
(I'm only just starting to concentrate on pot odds myself, and I'm not convinced you should rely on them totally with decisions which could put you out of a tournament).

saul1664
06-06-2006, 11:27 PM
$5000 tournament, have $2800, 72nd, 2 mins before add on, raised enough to see the flop, but got called all-in by bigger stack, win that pot and prob in top 10 before break, silly really, should have just folded, sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't, didn't rebuy though for some strange reason

DANCOO
07-06-2006, 09:24 AM
$5000 tournament, have $2800, 72nd, 2 mins before add on, raised enough to see the flop, but got called all-in by bigger stack, win that pot and prob in top 10 before break, silly really, should have just folded, sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't, didn't rebuy though for some strange reason

Was that the AK v QQ play?

In that situation (not knowing exactly your situation regarding blinds/stacks/players/position etc...), I would call all-in with AK.
All the top players I have played against are prepared to call a straight all-in with AK, and I do the same. There will undoubtly be times during every tournament you play when you have to come from behind and hit the turn or river to stay alive and unless you put all your chips on the line at some point you'll get blinded out.
The only time I would be wary is if they were a very tight player - say there was a call and a big raise before them, and they just re-raised rather than going all-in, only then might I put them on a better hand than QQ.

Remember, if your holding AK, the chances decrease for them holding AA or KK, so those two hands are more unlikely than any other.

Strathclyde Eagle
07-06-2006, 10:02 AM
What are they then?
The ESPN one is basically a radio show. A bit of Poker news, specific chat on one subject each week with a guest. Some good (e.g. Negreanu on playing the big stack, Hachem on tournaments was extremely interesting), some not so (Raymer on MTTs - "Just play your usual game", :rolleyes: insightful). BTW Phil Gordon is the co-host and his constant criticism of the World Poker Tour's player-release policy becomes very boring very quickly.

The Full Tilt ones are just a one-on-one with one of their pros on specific subjects. The production isn't as slick but I think the content is more useful. There is a Howard Lederer one on bankroll management which was interesting as he went into detail why he thinks online bankrolls need to be higher than live play (multi-tabling, more hands seen, etc.). Chris Ferguson did a podcast on turning $1 into $20,000 online - small warning, it even took him years.

I'll try and dig out the link when I'm at home tonight. Full Tilt have .com and .net domains, but each one has different features on them, the podcasts can only be found at one of them.

DANCOO
07-06-2006, 11:19 AM
BTW Phil Gordon is the co-host and his constant criticism of the World Poker Tour's player-release policy becomes very boring very quickly.

What is their player-release policy?

Strathclyde Eagle
07-06-2006, 12:22 PM
What is their player-release policy?
Players have to sign a release form so that the World Poker Tour can use their likeness in most forms of media (I think). The example Phil Gordon has used recently is that Chris Ferguson can't sign this as he has a computer game deal with Activision, and if he were to appear in a World Poker Tour game then his exclusive deal with Activision is compromised.

By the sounds of things if you don't sign the forms you can't enter the tournaments. Apparently Ferguson turned up for the end of season WPT tournament at the Bellagio ($25,000 entry fee) and then couldn't enter because of this.

Phil Gordon's a pretty shrewd businessman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Gordon), I guess he doesn't want to limit his options.

Strathclyde Eagle
07-06-2006, 10:43 PM
As promised - http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/multiMedia.php