PDA

View Full Version : To all the Dowie knockers out there

krackers
04-10-2005, 11:53 AM
how about u come over here and give credit where credit is due ...Gonzo and the rest......

Soares is playing in the middle.....he's stuck with Watson and his confidence will have improved massively (as opposed to dropping him outright after he got jeered off, yeah that would have been great)

Reich has solved our wide problems for now.

Dowie not caring anymore? did you see the look of intensity when he gave that victory punch?? tell me that is a man is does not CARE!!!!!

We've scored 5 goals in our last 2 games, without AJ.....

The way people on here were talking was as if Dowie was a complete idiot who had lost the plot, no longer cared and pretty much wante to be sacked!!!!!!

Buglebob
04-10-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by krackers
how about u come over here and give credit where credit is due ...Gonzo and the rest......

Soares is playing in the middle.....he's stuck with Watson and his confidence will have improved massively (as opposed to dropping him outright after he got jeered off, yeah that would have been great)

Dowie not caring anymore? did you see the look of intensity when he gave that victory punch?? tell me that is a man is does not CARE!!!!!

The way people on here were talking was as if Dowie was a complete idiot who had lost the plot, no longer cared and pretty much wante to be sacked!!!!!!
Well said. :lux:

sydnsteve
04-10-2005, 12:08 PM
Please drop this stupidity. It isn't being for or against Dowie, it is about saying it as you see it (and I have never wanted him out).
Yes, he played Watson and Soares, and neither did very well. Some of Watson's passing went straight to the opposition, and for long periods Soares was absent. We won because our attack is very good, but our CM is still weak, and the defence is completely lacking in organisation.

Buglebob
04-10-2005, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
Please drop this stupidity.
Should have stopped there!

PengeEagle
04-10-2005, 12:12 PM
Please drop this stupidity. It isn't being for or against Dowie, it is about saying it as you see it (and I have never wanted him out).
Yes, he played Watson and Soares, and neither did very well. Some of Watson's passing went straight to the opposition, and for long periods Soares was absent. We won because our attack is very good, but our CM is still weak, and the defence is completely lacking in organisation.

Totally agree, neither Watson or Soares had a particularly good game last night.

welshneil
04-10-2005, 12:12 PM
I see it's all gone quiet on the anti-Dowie front!

Palaceboy222
04-10-2005, 12:17 PM

Someone talking sence on the BBS?!:eek: :lux: :eek: :p

davematt
04-10-2005, 12:18 PM
I was one to broadcast my view that I was worried about the whole situation, but last nights game has really got me believing that Dowie has finally got the blend right. Having TWO wide men has made the difference, simple as.

krackers
04-10-2005, 12:18 PM
it would just be nice if we could heap praise on as much as we critisie in life....thats all....but no, people still go on about our CM being poor last night, despite the fact they are both kids, and we won both our games playing them. Watson gave the ball away needlesses once last night...ONCE!!!! yet people still give him 5/10?? i mean wtf?

i swear if we had christiano ronaldo (now i am NOT comparing here) and he gave the ball away in the final 1/3rd as much as he does for Man Utd people would be slating him saying he's SHITE and all that.

PalaceFan in Alabama
04-10-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by welshneil
I see it's all gone quiet on the anti-Dowie front!

What is the matter with some of you, just because some have have problems with his team selections or formations, you see it as 'knocker' or wanting him out :veryangry
Surely people are allowed to post their opinions or is it just your opinion that counts. Get your heads out of your arses and grow up.

PengeEagle
04-10-2005, 12:19 PM
it would just be nice if we could heap praise on as much as we critisie in life....thats all....but no, people still go on about our CM being poor last night, despite the fact they are both kids, and we won both our games playing them. Watson gave the ball away needlesses once last night...ONCE!!!! yet people still give him 5/10?? i mean wtf?

i swear if we had christiano ronaldo (now i am NOT comparing here) and he gave the ball away in the final 1/3rd as much as he does for Man Utd people would be slating him saying he's SHITE and all that.

Watson gave the ball away once? Do me a favour!

Buglebob
04-10-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by PalaceFan in Alabama
What is the matter with some of you, just because some have have problems with his team selections or formations, you see it as 'knocker' or wanting him out :veryangry

Thread entitled "Dowie Out" possibly a bit of a giveaway.

krackers
04-10-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by PengeEagle
Watson gave the ball away once? Do me a favour!

needlessly, yes...obviously posssion was lost by him more than 1...but im talking about an inexcusible error, and yes, there was only 1.

krackers
04-10-2005, 12:23 PM
Surely people are allowed to post their opinions or is it just your opinion that counts. Get your heads out of your arses and grow up.

couldnt agree with you more......i was talking about the harder stuff, where people were really really laying into him....obviously we're the paying public and have our right to voice our opinion.

krackers
04-10-2005, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Buglebob

EXACTLY....

PengeEagle
04-10-2005, 12:24 PM
needlessly, yes...obviously posssion was lost by him more than 1...but im talking about an inexcusible error, and yes, there was only 1.

All giving the ball away is needless...surely?

krackers
04-10-2005, 12:26 PM
All giving the ball away is needless...surely?

yes yes, in an ideal world.

im talking about the general passage of play......obviously if u recieve the ball surrounded by players u will struggle more.....i am talking about out right errors and YES, there was only 1.

PengeEagle
04-10-2005, 12:27 PM
yes yes, in an ideal world.

im talking about the general passage of play......obviously if u recieve the ball surrounded by players u will struggle more.....i am talking about out right errors and YES, there was only 1.

I think the majority who went will say he had a poor game.

stevek
04-10-2005, 12:31 PM

So basically - and arguably belatedly - Dowie has done the things that Gonzo and others said we needed to do. Pity Dowie didn't spot it a bit earlier.

(I should stress that I never wanted Dowie out - I'm just playing devil's advocate here)

welshneil
04-10-2005, 12:32 PM
you see it as 'knocker' or wanting him out :veryangry

OK...sorry I thought as the thread was called Dowie Out I assumed people wanted Dowie out!!!

pedro
04-10-2005, 12:33 PM
He still babbles on in his post match interviews, no wonder he has been leaving them to MacDonald. QPR a big club my ar$e.

rambo
04-10-2005, 12:34 PM

You too seem to be getting annoyed at other people's opinions!

It's perfectly reasonable to point out that negatives sometimes get blown out of proportion and people panic quite quickly when seasons dont start as expected. Also perfectly reasonable to note that some people's dire predictions dont seem to be coming true. The freedom to express opinion cuts both ways.

Many of the team selections were forced on him, and now we have two naturally wide players he's playing them week in week out.

Having said that, I do have a slight worry about what will happen when everyone is fit. We're getting quite a stable and successful team together (apart from the lack of Granville and possibly Aki / Leggy). I hope AJ's return will just mean a straight swap up front - not sure if too much experimentation and chopping and changing is what we need right now.

welshneil
04-10-2005, 12:37 PM
is it just your opinion that counts.

Judging by your response no it's obviously yours! Shame Alabama because 99.9999% of the time you are dead level headed on here and I respect most of your opinions...just not here! Sorry mate!

GreatGonzo
04-10-2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Buglebob

Main reply in a second, but the first post on that thread did say it was tongue in cheek and not taht bad yet but there were issues - hence the thread title being changed because some of you are too sensitive.

Oddjob
04-10-2005, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
Main reply in a second,

Don't keep us on tenterhooks like this, its not fair.

GreatGonzo
04-10-2005, 12:51 PM

Ok i knocked Dowie (i didnt want him 'OUT' but i said he had to change things or it was a possibility) i was very public and outspoken about it. So much so that you shoudl be able to list my comments yourself but as you will not i shall.

I said 4-5-1 was a disgrace, too defensive and didn't suit our players n this division. What formation did we play last night andagainst Wednesday?

I said Tom Soares is a CM he plays better there, is our best prospect there and is wasted on the wing where did TS play the last 2 games?

I said that playing 4 CM was not good, we need proper wide men who run at defences, commit people and create who were playing wide the last 2 games and what did they do?

I am over the moon about these things, we ARE moving in the right direction, i am positive about things again BUT there is still a way to go.

I critisied playing players out of position in general, we are still doing that with Boyce who really struggles at left back. You just cannot defend properly if you do not have the required foot (left for LB, right for RB) it is far more important than the case for wingers. When facing up the pitch you cannot play the ball down the line. When chasing back you cannot wrap your leg around in front of the ball AND the man to make the challenge. Everything is against you.

We are still persisting with Andrews which no-one can understand, he is 28 next month, he is not going to make it at the top level. We have a 17 year old who high things are hoped for in Grabban, giving him 5-10 minutes at the end of games i surely a better option to help ease him in.

I have always said i want Dowie to prove me wrong, he is on the way to doing so but is far from there yet.

Jukesy
04-10-2005, 12:54 PM
As an aside, it was interesting to see Richard Langley only on the bench in what was a weak Ranger's side.

I understand we were keen to sign him, but Bob wasn't happy with him. Got that one right.

Beanie
04-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by stevek
So basically - and arguably belatedly - Dowie has done the things that Gonzo and others said we needed to do. Pity Dowie didn't spot it a bit earlier.

(I should stress that I never wanted Dowie out - I'm just playing devil's advocate here)
The only actual change is that we now have two men playing wide, which would have been a bit difficult before we got the second one. Once that was in place Soares into the middle was an obvious move which Dowie had often mentioned. The response will probably be that we should have signed a wide player in the summer - but that is often easier said than done. Perhaps we could have gambled on Ryan Hall or Tyrone Berry, but we don't see training or know the players, so again easy to say.

davematt
04-10-2005, 01:01 PM
Ok i knocked Dowie (i didnt want him 'OUT' but i said he had to change things or it was a possibility) i was very public and outspoken about it. So much so that you shoudl be able to list my comments yourself but as you will not i shall.

I said 4-5-1 was a disgrace, too defensive and didn't suit our players n this division. What formation did we play last night andagainst Wednesday?

I said Tom Soares is a CM he plays better there, is our best prospect there and is wasted on the wing where did TS play the last 2 games?

I said that playing 4 CM was not good, we need proper wide men who run at defences, commit people and create who were playing wide the last 2 games and what did they do?

I am over the moon about these things, we ARE moving in the right direction, i am positive about things again BUT there is still a way to go.

I critisied playing players out of position in general, we are still doing that with Boyce who really struggles at left back. You just cannot defend properly if you do not have the required foot (left for LB, right for RB) it is far more important than the case for wingers. When facing up the pitch you cannot play the ball down the line. When chasing back you cannot wrap your leg around in front of the ball AND the man to make the challenge. Everything is against you.

We are still persisting with Andrews which no-one can understand, he is 28 next month, he is not going to make it at the top level. We have a 17 year old who high things are hoped for in Grabban, giving him 5-10 minutes at the end of games i surely a better option to help ease him in.

I have always said i want Dowie to prove me wrong, he is on the way to doing so but is far from there yet.

As much as I hate to agree with Gonze and the way he goes about things, every point made is exactly the way I see it.

krackers
04-10-2005, 01:06 PM

I said 4-5-1 was a disgrace, too defensive and didn't suit our players n this division. What formation did we play last night andagainst Wednesday?....because Freedman was not fit, therefore only other stirker was WA...so if dowie went 442 with this, you would probably have just said...WTF didnt we go 451

I said Tom Soares is a CM he plays better there, is our best prospect there and is wasted on the wing where did TS play the last 2 games? who was supposed to play wide then as a stop gap...watson? hughes? oh no, sorry when we did play hughes out wide against reading, as people suggested, he was shit, and dowie just got slated

I said that playing 4 CM was not good, we need proper wide men who run at defences, commit people and create who were playing wide the last 2 games and what did they do?...again, jobi injured, who/what else?

We are still persisting with Andrews which no-one can understand, he is 28 next month, he is not going to make it at the top level. We have a 17 year old who high things are hoped for in Grabban, giving him 5-10 minutes at the end of games i surely a better option to help ease him in. ok, u got me.

my point gonzo, is that dowie is no idiot and probably agreed with a lot of what you have been saying all along....but you have to take into account circumstances & also realise looking at situaitons with hindsight is pretty easy.

Tom's Old Man
04-10-2005, 01:06 PM
It was the first time IMO Palace have played like a potential promotion winning side this season. Nearly 2 months of average/below average performances has been frustrating, with ID's policies justifiably criticised.
This was much more like it, keep it going fellas!

rambo
04-10-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
The only actual change is that we now have two men playing wide, which would have been a bit difficult before we got the second one. Once that was in place Soares into the middle was an obvious move which Dowie had often mentioned. The response will probably be that we should have signed a wide player in the summer - but that is often easier said than done. Perhaps we could have gambled on Ryan Hall or Tyrone Berry, but we don't see training or know the players, so again easy to say.

Exactly. That answers each of Gonzo's 3 criticisms because before Reich came we didnt have the players to play 2 wide in their natural positions (hence Soares out of position and also the experiment with 5 in midfield as the various combinations of the 4 we had hadnt worked).

krackers
04-10-2005, 01:07 PM
sorry see above next to your points in bold...quite hard to see what i added gonzo but u should be able to see them..

krackers
04-10-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by davematt
As much as I hate to agree with Gonze and the way he goes about things, every point made is exactly the way I see it.

so do i, but this was not actually my point.

sydnsteve
04-10-2005, 01:12 PM
The problem is it seems to take Dowie an awful long time to do the obvious, and he is still playing Watson when Hughes is by far the better option at present. If Hughes is not performing, as he sometimes doen't, then bring Watson on, not the other way round. I really don't understand some peoples' obsession with the lad. He has been the weak link in midfield every time I have seen him play this season, and this is particularly true of his passing, which is his only apparent asset in the position.
We simply did not control CM until Hughes came on last night, and the same was trus vs Sheff Wed. Why not play our best team and leave the others on the bench? If those on the pitch aren't performing then sub them, but don't keep players in when they don't deserve it, whoever they are.
I don't think ID can be blamed for Boyce at LB, as with DG out we have no cover. Clearly we should have got some but I think we all hoped Borrowdale would be good enough, which sadly he currently is not.
Who, I wonder, sorts out the defence, or rather does not? We have reasonable players, but a complete lack of understanding between them. Last night there were often gaping holes while two defenders stayed on the same man.
There was some great attacking play last night, but also still plenty to worry about.
Oh, Dowie IN, by the way.

Son of Ron
04-10-2005, 01:15 PM
wahey - another 'my opinion is better than yours' thread....

:rolleyes:

krackers
04-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Son of Ron
wahey - another 'my opinion is better than yours' thread....

:rolleyes:

to true.. am stopping posting now! see ya

strawberry mivi
04-10-2005, 01:26 PM
to true.. am stopping posting now! see ya not for ever surely.
"how can the light that burns so brightly suddenly burn so pale - bright eyes"

GreatGonzo
04-10-2005, 01:26 PM
sorry see above next to your points in bold...quite hard to see what i added gonzo but u should be able to see them..

I see what you are saying but i was making these points long beforeany changes were made. The lack of a wde playe prior to the season starting. 4-5-1 i objected to in the cup game, let alone the league game. TS i was objecting to last season. My gripe was ID wasnt making the obvious changes to teh squad that were needed and wasn't learning fom mistakes.

Wide players are still our priority as we only have the 2 so we need at least 1 more brought in as cover. That followed by a LB if ID has decided Borrowdale is not good enough, if he hasn't decided this then he has to play until Granville is back.

Dartford Lad
04-10-2005, 01:32 PM

I also agree with all of your post Gonzo apart from this paragraph. I would still much rather see Boyce playing there than Borrowdale. Although still not totally convincing defensively, we still look better than when Borrowdale was playing.

Clapham Rover
04-10-2005, 01:32 PM

We are still persisting with Andrews which no-one can understand, he is 28 next month, he is not going to make it at the top level.

How can you say this after his magnificent stumble-dummy for the third goal?? Pure class.

LLCOOLSTEVE
04-10-2005, 01:34 PM

Everyone knew what needed to be done, Dowie was trying to play the players he felt would be best suited to those positions, we didnt have Reich at the time, we havent had 2 fully fit and on form strikers to play together, he has always said Tom Soares will make a brilliant centre midfielder and thats where he will end up, it takes time to get these things right, it takes time to get the correct personel in and to find out what the strongest team is.

Maidstoned Eagle
04-10-2005, 01:38 PM
I think the majority who went will say he had a poor game.

Obviously Ben looks better on TV than he does in real life.

cpfcben
04-10-2005, 01:43 PM
Yes, he played Watson and Soares, and neither did very well. Some of Watson's passing went straight to the opposition, and for long periods Soares was absent. We won because our attack is very good, but our CM is still weak, and the defence is completely lacking in organisation. THOUGHT SOARES WAS EXCELLENT. WATSON NOT SO. We are desperately lacking a decent left back. Come back Danny or get someone in on loan. NOW!

cpfcben
04-10-2005, 01:44 PM
Persisting with Andrews. We don't have anyone else FFS!!

Radders
04-10-2005, 01:53 PM

You reply to that like the things that have been done were done because it was your idea so the fact that Dowie changed it doesn't count. Even your last paragraph is devoid of any sort of "I hold my hands up, my critiscism was ott" you still can't give any credit if it makes you eat your words can you??

Critiscism is ok but within reason, you are ott and still can't squeeze out one ounce of humility can you?

nottsunieagle
04-10-2005, 03:39 PM
Without reading what everyone else has said, but i've criticised dowie for what i consider to be strange decisions (Ie 4 central mids against Reading) but the team looked better yesterday, definately more balanced. Watson and Soares weren't great, but the team maintained its shape generally.

What will be interesting to see would be if ID maintains this or reverts to Soares out on the left again.

sydnsteve
04-10-2005, 03:48 PM
cfc Ben, I like Soares but on TV he appeared to be very little in the game. He may have been doing things off the ball, but didn't seem to do that much on it.
However, I'd still have him and Hughes as CM, as Soares is improving, and hace pace and can tackle, whereas Watson is simply stagnating.
And Maidstoned, I can't believe you watched it on TV and thought Watson looked good. On what basis? The giving the ball away prize?
As with Sheff wed, you could not fault his commitment, but he can't tackle and his passes are 50% poor. At least twice last night it took a very good intervention to stop him setting up a QPR attack in our half. You cannot make errors on that scale.

cpfcinprem
04-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by cpfcben
Persisting with Andrews. We don't have anyone else FFS!!

Er, yes we do/did.
We have young Grabban, who I have not seen much of, but will undoubtedly be nearly as good as Wayne and is still young, much unlike Wayne :bash: This is what I dont understand, the guy is nearly 28! How is he going to improve hugely?! Why did Dowie buy him?!
And secondly we did have Shipperley and Torghelle, both are far far better players than Wayne. Different yes, but out of Sandor, Shipps and Wayne who would you say is mpre likely to score?