PDA

View Full Version : Eriksson keen to avoid Australia

LLCOOLSTEVE
09-12-2005, 11:56 AM
England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson is hoping to avoid an 'Ashes rematch' with Australia in Friday's World Cup draw.

Eriksson admits he would rather avoid the "English speaking countries" such as Australia and the United States.

"They are desperate to beat England in a big tournament, which is why I don't want to play them," he said. "But there is a wider aspect to Australia.

"There is a sporting rivalry between the two countries. What I saw during the summer in the cricket was amazing."

Eriksson says he was taken aback by the passion shown by the two sides and admits he would not have sanctioned the friendly with the Socceroos in 2003 had he been fully aware of the historic rivalry.

"If I had known all about the rivalry, I would never have played that friendly against them," said the Swede, who fielded two completely different sides in a 3-1 defeat at Upton Park.

"It was far from a friendly game. They wanted to beat us - and they did."

England are set to find out who they will face at next summer's World Cup when the draw takes place from 1930 GMT in Leipzig on Friday.

Fifa's decision to install England as second seeds for the World Cup means they will avoid some of the tournament favourites, like Brazil and Argentina.

But they could still meet some of the stronger unseeded teams in the 'European' pot, which includes Holland, the Czech Republic, Sweden and Ukraine.

"We have played Holland three times in friendlies and they are a very good side," added Eriksson.

"Marco van Basten is building a new team and he has been very successful with it."

Eriksson admits he is not so well informed about possible African opponents such as Angola, Togo and Ghana, who will all be making their debuts in the World Cup finals.

"I will go to the African Nations Cup if we are drawn against an African team because there are some of these sides I know next to nothing about," revealed Eriksson

See we didnt take the whole Aus 'friendly' as serious as The Aussies
:)

EagleSE24
09-12-2005, 11:59 AM
So he'd rather get friendlies against teams that don't want to beat us? :confused:

Aki Aki Aki
09-12-2005, 12:05 PM
We should be wanting to play Australia. A nice easy win for us :p

oz_da II
09-12-2005, 12:06 PM
Sven running scared already.
How embarrassing.

eaglejez
09-12-2005, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by oz_da II
How embarrassing.

he's not British - if he was he'd realise that we beat Australia at everything nowadays

Bryan
09-12-2005, 12:09 PM
I thought the same thing as he did about Australia. They have a MASSIVE motivation to beat us in a tournament. England are notorious slow starters and Aus have the players to beat us on their day. Getting an easy draw is half the winning of a world cup.

Would like to avoid USA for similar reasons.

pete eagle
09-12-2005, 12:10 PM
I think it has more to do with the fact that you'd treat it as your final, not your attacking brilliance and defensive solidity.

oz_da II
09-12-2005, 12:11 PM
Guus vs Sven.

I like our chances.

Radders
09-12-2005, 12:12 PM
How embarrassing.

We are now of course guaranteed to draw you after him saying this!!

LP
09-12-2005, 12:17 PM
Australia are like Brighton with Palace, it would be their cup final and as long as they got a result against England nothing else would matter to them or their public. Therefore they would be seriously fired up. He did also mention Holland and USA as well.

Geezer
09-12-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by EagleSE24
So he'd rather get friendlies against teams that don't want to beat us? :confused:

Exactly, the Argentina game was the first England worth watching for a while because we actually played with a bit of passion. This proves that Eriksson is the wrong man for England, he is more worried about technicalities than passion(which can win a fair few games on it's own).

TonysMumsabitch
09-12-2005, 12:31 PM
Bring it on!

LP
09-12-2005, 01:03 PM
Truth is England seem to be the team that so many countries want to beat more than any other, no one likes us we don't care, should really be England's song. If we do get them then it will be interesting but I'd rather avoid them.

LP
09-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Geezer
Exactly, the Argentina game was the first England worth watching for a while because we actually played with a bit of passion. This proves that Eriksson is the wrong man for England, he is more worried about technicalities than passion(which can win a fair few games on it's own).

When it's a real game, that's when you see the real England. I think if we did get the Aussies then they'll be no repeat if the incipid display last time we met them in the friendly, they'll be well up for it, as up for it as the Aussies. Interesting to hear Sven refer to the public response to the Ashes etc. Should we draw Oz everyone will know the importance of this game from the manager downwards, although lets face it any world cup finals game is massive.

Uncle Ron
09-12-2005, 01:13 PM
I was actually at the press conference and Sven actually said that he "wanted to avoid Australians."
I guess he is also sick of their "jolly" nature, only moving in packs, constant whineing about the beer/weather/"sheilas"/being sent away during the war/how lucky England are at everything/how they will be back etc etc etc
I advised him to avoid any Walkabout or pub showing rugby. That will reduce his odds by about 70%

LP
09-12-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Ron

I advised him to avoid any Walkabout or pub showing rugby. That will reduce his odds by about 70%

I'd advise anyone to avoid any pub showing rugby.

ebyeeckeagle
09-12-2005, 01:47 PM
Guus vs Sven.
I like our chances.

Unfortunately for you, they won't be playing any actual match. Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, Owen etc etc will be :p

GeeTee
09-12-2005, 02:07 PM
I was actually at the press conference and Sven actually said that he "wanted to avoid Australians."

I think he's seen the Sheila's Wheels advert.

GeeTee
09-12-2005, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Bryan
Getting an easy draw is half the winning of a world cup.

Not sure I agree. World Cup winners often have another strong team in their group. It';s a good way of avoiding them in later rounds.

An easy draw did France no favours in Japan/S.Korea.

Bryan
09-12-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by GeeTee
Not sure I agree. World Cup winners often have another strong team in their group. It';s a good way of avoiding them in later rounds.

An easy draw did France no favours in Japan/S.Korea.

World Cup 2002

Germany 8-0 S Arabia
Germany 1-1 Rep of Ire
Cameroon 0-2 Germany
Germany 1-0 Paraguay
Germany 1-0 USA
Germany 1-0 S Korea
Germany 0-2 Brazil

Germany were a shower of sh*te and reached the finals.

It's all about the draw.

LP
09-12-2005, 05:07 PM
The media and the Mark Swartzer are twisting things here. It's understandible that Sven would want a kind draw and to avoid a team with many UK based players who regard beating the English in any sport as their prime objective in life. We don't want a cup final with Australia but a nice smooth passage to the actual (world) cup final if possible. Having said that I don't think Messrs Rooney, Owen, Lampard, Gerrard, Terry or Eriksson could ever be accused of FEARING the aussies, nonsense.

bern5161
09-12-2005, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE
England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson is hoping to avoid an 'Ashes rematch' with Australia in Friday's World Cup draw.

Can't blame him. They murdered you last time :p

bern5161
09-12-2005, 05:21 PM
I guess he is also sick of their "jolly" nature, only moving in packs, constant whineing about the beer/weather/"sheilas"/ etc etc etc

Yeah and seeing them score goals against England :lux: