PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Northeners Ultimate Fighting Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Dirty Northener
05-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Any fans of MMA on here? I thought id get a thread going for us to discuss Ultimate Fighting, Pride etc if theres anyone that wants to join me. Did anyone see the Ultimate Fighter that was on Bravo recently?

Funk Butter
06-01-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Dirty Northener
Any fans of MMA on here? I thought id get a thread going for us to discuss Ultimate Fighting, Pride etc if theres anyone that wants to join me. Did anyone see the Ultimate Fighter that was on Bravo recently?
I've watched PRIDE for years. Saw the New Year's Eve show. Was above average, but the Bushido Tournament show from a couple of months ago was fantastic.

eddieskyclad
06-01-2006, 05:03 PM
I don't really watch any MMA but I do keep up with it somewhat just because I'm a Dave Meltzer mark.

Halftime Gold
07-01-2006, 12:28 AM
I'v only been watching more than the odd match for the past year or so, mainly Pride.

Dirty Northener
07-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Funk Butter
I've watched PRIDE for years. Saw the New Year's Eve show. Was above average, but the Bushido Tournament show from a couple of months ago was fantastic.

Havent seen the New Years eve show yet, as we dont get the events over here, i have to get them on DVD. Have seen Bushido 9 that you mentioned from a couple of months ago, was fantastic. Dan Henderson is my favourite fighter so it was good to see him doing well!

Halftime Gold
07-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Men and Motors have been showing the odd Pride show around midnight on Wendsays and Saturday in the last couple of months although normally a few months after the event.

Dirty Northener
07-01-2006, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Halftime Gold
Men and Motors have been showing the odd Pride show around midnight on Wendsays and Saturday in the last couple of months although normally a few months after the event.

Thanks for that, used to watch it on a Wednsday but then they stopped showing it, probably because they moved it to a Saturday :veryangry

RickyB
07-01-2006, 11:05 AM
Guy I know does that cage-fighting stuff, is that what you mean?

Dirty Northener
07-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by RickyB
Guy I know does that cage-fighting stuff, is that what you mean?

Yep

RickyB
07-01-2006, 11:12 AM
Ah, ok. He used to fight up at Milton Keynes. Put bets on himself to win :)

Used to come back bruised to feck after! :)

DANCOO
07-01-2006, 11:27 AM
I ocassionally watched K1 a year or two back, and have seen Pride and 'Rage in a Cage' a few times aswell.
I watched the whole of the 'Ultimate Fighter 2' over the course of a couple of weeks at the end of last year - that was entertaining.
If it's on I will usually watch it, but the UFC seems a bit too gimmicky for my liking - the 'Octagon', and fighters calling out to other fighters at ringside, it'll end up like the WWF before you know it.

I do like to watch a good bust up though.

Halftime Gold
07-01-2006, 09:12 PM
Thanks for that, used to watch it on a Wednsday but then they stopped showing it, probably because they moved it to a Saturday :veryangry

They've not shown any for the past few weeks, I expect there on a delayed contract as they've only had 3 shows from the first half of 2005 so far, Pride 29, total elimination 2005 and critcal councdown 2005.

As to Ring/Cage I preffer the former myself as even though the latter does prevent people falling out the ring it seems to lead to more fights ending up on the ground as you can trap someone agenst it. It does also look a little gimmicky I agree and brings up negative associations to sleazy bloodsport cagefighting.

eddieskyclad
07-01-2006, 11:18 PM
There seems to be an awful lot of MMA on Eurosport nowadays...

Halftime Gold
07-01-2006, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by eddieskyclad
There seems to be an awful lot of MMA on Eurosport nowadays...

I'v watched the odd Shooto match there, the Bushido program is UWFi from the 90's though I.E. pro wrestling(the best you can see on SKY IMHO) done in a very realistic style with Takada as the star and the likes of Sakuraba and Tamura on the undercard.

foetus eagle
08-01-2006, 12:15 AM
I've had a bit of an illness with this for a while.

Pride and Bushido are top quality. Fedor Emelianenko is the daddy.

The old UFC's were good but it's now become a bit of a gameshow (Ultimate Fighter), and all the best fighters have switched to the above mentioned.

I've got a load of old Brazilian DVD's of Vale Tudo bouts. These are the most savage and bloody I've seen. There are basically no rules, clueless ref's and 1/2hr rounds. Blinding.

I'm very disappointed that we get no live coverage here. I've seen the Pride GP 2005 but I think there's another 3 events only been shoen on Japanese and US pay per view.

Getting snides off Ebay seems to be the only way to see the decent stuff here. Watch Bravo for any length oftime and it'll start repeating.

Russian no-holds barred is worth a look.

Dirty Northener
08-01-2006, 03:24 PM
They've not shown any for the past few weeks, I expect there on a delayed contract as they've only had 3 shows from the first half of 2005 so far, Pride 29, total elimination 2005 and critcal councdown 2005.

As to Ring/Cage I preffer the former myself as even though the latter does prevent people falling out the ring it seems to lead to more fights ending up on the ground as you can trap someone agenst it. It does also look a little gimmicky I agree and brings up negative associations to sleazy bloodsport cagefighting.

I fully agree about liking the ring better than the cage. I also prefer Pride to UFC. I think UFC had a dip in quality of matches after UFC 40 or so. They have this annoying habit of letting people go after a couple of losses and i think it makes people fight negatively as they dont want to lose.

I think now UFC had brought back BJ Penn and Tito Ortiz (all promotions need a good villain) and have guys like St Pierre coming through, the future is bright.

Itll never catch up with Pride though as they have deeper pockets than UFC due to it being more popular over there.

Halftime Gold
08-01-2006, 07:19 PM
I fully agree about liking the ring better than the cage. I also prefer Pride to UFC. I think UFC had a dip in quality of matches after UFC 40 or so. They have this annoying habit of letting people go after a couple of losses and i think it makes people fight negatively as they dont want to lose.

I think now UFC had brought back BJ Penn and Tito Ortiz (all promotions need a good villain) and have guys like St Pierre coming through, the future is bright.

Itll never catch up with Pride though as they have deeper pockets than UFC due to it being more popular over there.

MMA in general seems to have much more mainstream appeal than it does in the US so thats not really supprizing I spose, the Japanese seem to take to non native fighters better aswell.

BLUE BOY
08-01-2006, 07:35 PM
I enjoy watching a bit of UFC, always find it entertaining.

Halftime Gold
09-01-2006, 09:23 PM
Does anyone want to be kept spoiler free for Prides new year's eve show or can we discuss results from that?

BringBackSasa
09-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Dan Henderson is my favourite fighter so it was good to see him doing well!

I like 'Decision' Dan too.

BJ vs St Pierre in March, I can't wait. It could be fight of the year. Although I generally prefer Pride, the UFC has got an amazing ww division.

Dirty Northener
09-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Does anyone want to be kept spoiler free for Prides new year's eve show or can we discuss results from that?

I think discuss away, there wont be too many people posting on this thread regularly so i say lets post spoilers as we all probably know the results already.

Dirty Northener
09-01-2006, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by BringBackSasa
BJ vs St Pierre in March, I can't wait. It could be fight of the year. Although I generally prefer Pride, the UFC has got an amazing ww division.

Thatll be a great match but how stupid are the UFC for making it. They bring back Penn for what will be big money and say if he loses then that tarnishes him straight away. If he wins then it stops the St Pierre band wagon. It would have made more sense to have Penn vs Hughes re-match with the winner facing St Pierre to my mind.

Apparently though Penn said he'd ONLY fight Pierre in his first match back and Pierre accepted this. Its risky for Pierre but i admire his guts. Penn will win a decision though in my mind.

I also find it stupid putting Forrest Griffin in with Tito Ortiz next up as they should build Griffin up more slowly and have him win a few more matches first. Ortiz will walk that match.

Halftime Gold
10-01-2006, 12:32 AM
I wonder whats going to happen to the new Pride Welterweight and Lightweight titles now? You'd think they'd been defended on the main shows rather than Bushido considering theres much more native talent in them both than at middle/heavyweight. Might just persuade Sakuraba to move down in weight before he gets killed aswell if that happens.

I'm glad Silva beat Arona as I can't stand the latters boring lay and pray fighting style. I wonder what Shogan is going to do now though? he must surely be next in line for a title shot but neither team mate seemed to be too keen on taking on the other with Silva seemling admitting they would have worked the GP final if they met.

Funk Butter
10-01-2006, 01:13 AM
I wonder whats going to happen to the new Pride Welterweight and Lightweight titles now? You'd think they'd been defended on the main shows rather than Bushido considering theres much more native talent in them both than at middle/heavyweight. Might just persuade Sakuraba to move down in weight before he gets killed aswell if that happens.

Word on the street is that Sakuraba is wanting to compete in whatever tourney they have planned for this year: Heavyweight or Open-Weight. I think its due to being smashed in the face too many times.

Halftime Gold
10-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Word on the street is that Sakuraba is wanting to compete in whatever tourney they have planned for this year: Heavyweight or Open-Weight. I think its due to being smashed in the face too many times.

Lets hope someone talks some sense into him then, looking at how badly he was mauled by Arona I can only imagine how nasty a fight with someone like Fedor could be. I actually think he's still a pretty good fighter dispite the injuries but the way the sports evolved the weight difference is just too much to overcome verus anyone decent. I can understand him not wanting to drop down to welterweight when that ment also dropping down to the Bushido shows but if the new title is going to be defended on main shows thats no longer the case.

Dirty Northener
11-01-2006, 08:42 AM

Oh dear, he'd get destroyed by most of the heavyweights, i still think he's a good fighter though but in his own weight class!

Who do you all think will be the first person to beat Fedor then?

I see Fedor's brother has said they would be willing to fight each other if asked to!!!!!!!

Halftime Gold
11-01-2006, 10:05 AM
Oh dear, he'd get destroyed by most of the heavyweights, i still think he's a good fighter though but in his own weight class!

I see Fedor's brother has said they would be willing to fight each other if asked to!!!!!!!

There is a sambo match between them floating around the the net so they don't seem to have a problem with it, Alek doesnt seem to be a fan favourite though so unless he beats a big name or they meet in the GP I doubt it would happen. The big Nogueira brother is the second best heavweight in the world IMHO but I don't see him ever beating Fedor who's just too good on the ground to be submitted or pounded. The only way I see Fedor losing is if someone with a powerful standup game manages to land a massive shot so Crocop still seems the most likely to me(if he takes some time off) even after his loss to him last year, Segei Kharitanov and Alek would have a chance aswell IMHO . If Mark Hunt were to improve his ground defense to the same level as Crocops then he might have an even better chance, he looks like the best pure boxer of any heavyweight I'v seen(so would I'd guess he'd harder to push back than a counter striker like Crocop) and is pretty much un KOable(took 2 Crocop highkicks in the new years match without even flinching).

Dirty Northener
11-01-2006, 12:58 PM
If Mark Hunt were to improve his ground defense to the same level as Crocops then he might have an even better chance, he looks like the best pure boxer of any heavyweight I'v seen(so would I'd guess he'd harder to push back than a counter striker like Crocop) and is pretty much un KOable(took 2 Crocop highkicks in the new years match without even flinching).

Ive heard about him taking those 2 shots, havent seen the event yet, was it impressive? Im going to try and get it on DVD shortly.

Funk Butter
11-01-2006, 08:29 PM

Sakuraba did fight in the first open-weight Grand Prix. But his road consisted of a win over Mezger, a win over Royce Gracie (a 90-min fight no less) then a 15 minute fight against Vovchanchin. So he didn't have a problem with weight until Igor. By then he was decimated physically from 90min with Gracie, so his corner threw in the towel after the 1st round with Igor.

Dirty Northener
11-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Sakuraba did fight in the first open-weight Grand Prix. But his road consisted of a win over Mezger, a win over Royce Gracie (a 90-min fight no less) then a 15 minute fight against Vovchanchin. So he didn't have a problem with weight until Igor. By then he was decimated physically from 90min with Gracie, so his corner threw in the towel after the 1st round with Igor.

I actually watched that event last week on DVD. I like a good technical fight but the 90 minute Gracie vs Sakuraba match was a bit dull i thought. It showed to me too how much the standard has improved in MMA since then as some of the fighters in that tournament wouldnt last a round with the likes of Fedor, Noguiera, Cro Cop, Arlovski etc.

Out of interest, where would everyone rank Andre Arlovski from UFC compared to all the Pride heavyweights? Id have him 4th behind Cro Cop (a healthy one that is), Noguiera and Fedor. Im looking forward to Frank Mir vs Arlovski when Mir is healthy again. Cant think of the last time UFC had a really top class heavyweight match on a show.

Halftime Gold
11-01-2006, 10:51 PM
I actually watched that event last week on DVD. I like a good technical fight but the 90 minute Gracie vs Sakuraba match was a bit dull i thought. It showed to me too how much the standard has improved in MMA since then as some of the fighters in that tournament wouldnt last a round with the likes of Fedor, Noguiera, Cro Cop, Arlovski etc.

Out of interest, where would everyone rank Andre Arlovski from UFC compared to all the Pride heavyweights? Id have him 4th behind Cro Cop (a healthy one that is), Noguiera and Fedor. Im looking forward to Frank Mir vs Arlovski when Mir is healthy again. Cant think of the last time UFC had a really top class heavyweight match on a show.

Indeed I'd say that modern MMA is alot closer to what people were expecting from the early UFC's. Standup espeically is for me alot more exciting that either boxing or kickboxing as normally something is always happening with fighters unable to just cover up or stall. As the sports advanced though its made weight much more of a factor again since fighters have fewer obvious weaknesses to exploit. Sakuraba in with someone like Fedor would be risking serious injury IMHO as he's got enough of a chin to take lots of punishment and is unlike to submit plus the refs tend to hold off the stoppages a bit longer for him.

From what little I'v seen of Arlovski he looks very good but the fact he's not really faced anyone makes it hard to gauge what kind of level he's at compaired to the Pride guys. I'd say the heavyweight division in general seems to have fewer complete fighters so often guys can have really bad matchups like Fedor for Nogueira(strong wrestler who can avoid all his subs while pounding him) or Hunt for Crocop(Iron chin that negates his big shots).

Halftime Gold
15-01-2006, 02:25 PM
Word has it that the UFC will run 22 events this year(half TV speicals half PPV's) and that the yearly Pride GP will be open weight. The latter certainly matchs up with Sakuraba;s comments, I just hope they keep him away from the likes of Fedor/Crocop/Segei.

Dirty Northener
16-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Word has it that the UFC will run 22 events this year(half TV speicals half PPV's) and that the yearly Pride GP will be open weight. The latter certainly matchs up with Sakuraba;s comments, I just hope they keep him away from the likes of Fedor/Crocop/Segei.

22 Events :eek:

Dirty Northener
18-01-2006, 08:39 AM
What does everyone think to the UFC's announcement that Matt Hughes will fight Royce Gracie shortly, im really excited by this even though Royce is advancing in age.

Halftime Gold
18-01-2006, 01:21 PM
What does everyone think to the UFC's announcement that Matt Hughes will fight Royce Gracie shortly, im really excited by this even though Royce is advancing in age.

Its been along time since Royce beat anyone decent(12 years IMHO) but I'd guess it will draw in a big audience and at least be competitive.

I'd hope the Pride openweight GP sticks to only heavys and middle/lightheavys, something like....

Fedor Emelianenko
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Mirko Filipovic
Mark Hunt
Sergei Kharitonov
Aleksander Emelianenko
Kazuyuki Fujita
Fabricio Werdum
James Thompson
Hidehiko Yoshida
Wanderlei Silva
Ricardo Arona
Mauricio Rua
Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
Quinton Jackson
Kazuhiro Nakamura
Alistair Overeem

All those middleweights would be more competitive than the slugs they'd have to drag in to make up the numbers for a heavy GP. Just think how loaded the total elimination card could be with that then Gomi and Sakuraba could have light/welterweight title matchs at either Critcal Coundown or Final Conflict to give some native interest.

Funk Butter
18-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Gracie is gonna get his ass kicked. He hasn't done anything of note since UFC 4. And everybody coming up now is training at least partially in BJJ.

Dirty Northener
18-01-2006, 03:11 PM
Gracie is gonna get his ass kicked. He hasn't done anything of note since UFC 4. And everybody coming up now is training at least partially in BJJ.

Do you think the match will be just 3 rounds??

Funk Butter
18-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Do you think the match will be just 3 rounds??
No idea, Royce is notorious for agreeing to fight only under specific rules. That's why the Sakuraba match went 90 minutes. It was no time limit, no judges decision match. His last fight in Japan on New Years' Eve was a no judges match, that's why it was a draw. He might try to do the same here, but I still don't think he can hold out for a draw.

Dirty Northener
19-01-2006, 08:44 AM
No idea, Royce is notorious for agreeing to fight only under specific rules. That's why the Sakuraba match went 90 minutes. It was no time limit, no judges decision match. His last fight in Japan on New Years' Eve was a no judges match, that's why it was a draw. He might try to do the same here, but I still don't think he can hold out for a draw.

I agree. I think Matt Hughes will have a bit too much. Having said that Dennis Hallman beat Hughes twice so Gracie could submit him. I watched a good event last night that i got on DVD a week ago. It was Rumble on the Rock 4 with Gomi vs Penn for the main event, it was a great fight too. Never seen Gomi in a bad fight. Bushido 7 is my next event to watch on DVD now.

Halftime Gold
19-01-2006, 10:22 AM
I agree. I think Matt Hughes will have a bit too much. Having said that Dennis Hallman beat Hughes twice so Gracie could submit him. I watched a good event last night that i got on DVD a week ago. It was Rumble on the Rock 4 with Gomi vs Penn for the main event, it was a great fight too. Never seen Gomi in a bad fight. Bushido 7 is my next event to watch on DVD now.

His match verus Luiz Azeredo on that show is one of my favourites ever, wouldnt be out of place at the end of an 80's Jackie Chan film. ;)

Dirty Northener
19-01-2006, 12:42 PM
His match verus Luiz Azeredo on that show is one of my favourites ever, wouldnt be out of place at the end of an 80's Jackie Chan film. ;)

Superb, thats something to look forward to, also got Bushido 2 and 8 still to watch.

Halftime Gold
19-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Some amusing pics of the Super Emelianenko Bros on tour in Korea...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/greenman32/fedor2.jpg

"I'll be Back"

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/greenman32/fedor3.jpg

Aleks looking at a career in knitwear modeling?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/greenman32/fedor1.jpg

Hail to the King.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/greenman32/fedor4.jpg

BringBackSasa
19-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Blimey, I wasn't expecting the Royce/Hughes thing. I doubt Dana will allow 'Gracie Rules'.

What do you guys reckon about Lyoto? Having finally just seen the Penn fight, I thought BJ did OK considering the weight.

Lyoto Machida v Rich Franklin

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4356821941886452328

Lyoto Machida v BJ Penn

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-401523193852804399

Funk Butter
19-01-2006, 10:10 PM
That was in 1998 and 2000, though. Recently he got past Sherk, Newton, Trigg and St Pierre. So that aspect of his game has improved. Of course Royce could submit him still, but I think Hughes has improved so much the last few years he can win easily.

What do you guys reckon about Lyoto? Having finally just seen the Penn fight, I thought BJ did OK considering the weight.
Machida is interesting, in a 6 fight career he has beaten Penn, Franklin, Greco, McDonald and Bonnar. But he's pretty much sabotaged now by having Inoki do his bookings for him. Like Kazuyuki Fujita, he hasn't fought in a long time due to ridiculous negotiating by Inoki and I haven't even heard his name come up in rumours. So it seems we might never see him live up to his potential.

Halftime Gold
20-01-2006, 04:06 PM
It would be interesting to see what they offered Royce, you'd hink it would have to be alot considering he can fight under his own rules in Japan and generally they pay much better than the UFC do.

Funk Butter
20-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Some names already in for Pride 31 next month:

Mark Hunt vs. Yousuke Nishijima
Tsuyoshi Kohsaka vs. Mario Sperry

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Kharitonov, Coleman, Randleman, Quinton Jackson, Mauricio Shogun, John Thompson and Pedro Rizzo are also supposed to be on the card.

BringBackSasa
21-01-2006, 03:17 AM
Just seen this hilarious Viacheslav Datsik (bloke who beat Arlowski) highlight video.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2683676985587295275

What a fruitcake.

Dirty Northener
24-01-2006, 08:38 AM
Some names already in for Pride 31 next month:

Mark Hunt vs. Yousuke Nishijima
Tsuyoshi Kohsaka vs. Mario Sperry

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Kharitonov, Coleman, Randleman, Quinton Jackson, Mauricio Shogun, John Thompson and Pedro Rizzo are also supposed to be on the card.

That looks an ok card. I will be interested to see who the match up Rizzo and Coleman with.

BringBackSasa
24-01-2006, 09:41 AM
Rah! Frank Shamrock Vs Cesar Gracie is finally on 10th March. I wasn't expecting this to ever happen.

Halftime Gold
24-01-2006, 12:03 PM
That looks an ok card. I will be interested to see who the match up Rizzo and Coleman with.

From Coleman's earlier comments I'd guess that his and some of the others matchs will be qualifers for the GP.

Halftime Gold
27-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Coleman/Shogun has been announced for Pride 31.

Funk Butter
27-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Its been along time since Royce beat anyone decent(12 years IMHO) but I'd guess it will draw in a big audience and at least be competitive.

I'd hope the Pride openweight GP sticks to only heavys and middle/lightheavys, something like....

Fedor Emelianenko
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Mirko Filipovic
Mark Hunt
Sergei Kharitonov
Aleksander Emelianenko
Kazuyuki Fujita
Fabricio Werdum
James Thompson
Hidehiko Yoshida
Wanderlei Silva
Ricardo Arona
Mauricio Rua
Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
Quinton Jackson
Kazuhiro Nakamura
Alistair Overeem

All those middleweights would be more competitive than the slugs they'd have to drag in to make up the numbers for a heavy GP. Just think how loaded the total elimination card could be with that then Gomi and Sakuraba could have light/welterweight title matchs at either Critcal Coundown or Final Conflict to give some native interest.
Kazuyuki Fujita has gotten out of his contract with Inoki, so I think there is a good chance of him entering the tourney now.

Dirty Northener
27-01-2006, 09:17 PM
Coleman/Shogun has been announced for Pride 31.

That could be a good match!

Halftime Gold
31-01-2006, 01:42 AM
Fedor has finally had the hand sugery and is going to be out for 6 months which rules him out of the GP, probabley a good thing since its opens it up a bit and gives them an obvious challenger when he comes back.

Alistair Overeem verus Sergei Kharitonov has also been announced for Pride 31, maybe another qualifing match? Two decent choices for middleweights moving up if you ask me, both guys look like they could fight quite a bit heavier(espeically Alistair at 6 foot 5).

Funk Butter
31-01-2006, 03:35 AM
Guess I'll put this here too:

OK, for the UFC 57 show this weekend. Best values to me are Keith Jardine (-120) over Mike Whitehead, and Nick Diaz (-195) over Joe Riggs.

Jardine has been slowly building up his resume, including a semifinal appearance on The Ultimate Fighter losing a hard-fought decision to eventual winner Rashad Evans. Whitehead, meanwhile, has been going backwards. He looked like an up'n'comer while training with Pat Miletich and Matt Hughes. Then on the Ultimate Fighter show, he showed none of that training. He looked shaky in training and then basically quit in his match against Rashad Evans. He was dominated by the same sort of speed that Jardine possesses.

Diaz is 4-2 since coming to UFC, losing by decision to tough fighters in Karo Parisyan and Diego Sanchez. Riggs has fought in several different groups against a hodgepodge of various fighters. He lost to Matt Hughes at the most recent PPV in the 1st round, and won his previous match by a cut. (only in the UFC) This fight will be really easy to predict. Riggs will come out swinging, and Diaz will take him down to the mat and start with the ground'n'pound while working thru his submissions for the victory.

For the other fights (in order of surety):
Renato "Babalu" Sobral (-348) over Mike Van Arsdale
Alessio Sakara (-403) over Elvis Sinosic
Frank Mir (-279) over Marcio Cruz (Mir coming back from a long injury layoff)
Brandon Vera (-266) over Justin Eilers
Jeff Monson (-245) over Brandon Lee Hinkle
Paul Buentello (-242) over Gilbert Aldano
Randy Couture (+176) over Chuck Liddell

Couture/Liddell 3 will be interesting. Couture came with his game plan in the first fight and was able to take it. Then in the 2nd, he stood toe-to-toe with Liddell and got creamed. I imagine he will try to do what he did in the first fight and take Liddell to the ground and beat him up against the cage. And has been proven in past fights, Couture has stamina to spare, while Liddell can't match Couture in that area.

I'm gonna be taking Jardine and Diaz in singles, while mixing in Sobral, Mir and Sakara into parlays. (all these prices are coming from Pinnacle, btw)

Dirty Northener
31-01-2006, 06:48 PM
Renato "Babalu" Sobral (-348) over Mike Van Arsdale
Alessio Sakara (-403) over Elvis Sinosic
Frank Mir (-279) over Marcio Cruz (Mir coming back from a long injury layoff)
Brandon Vera (-266) over Justin Eilers
Jeff Monson (-245) over Brandon Lee Hinkle
Paul Buentello (-242) over Gilbert Aldano
Randy Couture (+176) over Chuck Liddell

Im going for Babalu, Sakara, Mir, Vera, Hinkle, Buentello and Liddell. I think father time may have finally caught up with Randy, i find it hard to bet against him though with how many times he has proved us all wrong in the past. Cant wait to see Mir again, he was great before he got injured and i think he would beat Arlovski if and when they fight. Was also impressed with Vera last time out.

Halftime Gold
01-02-2006, 03:37 PM
Chuck isnt getting any younger himself and from what I'v heard he wasnt always in the best of shape earlier in life which could have an impact.

As I said before I find it hard to judge Arlovski, he's looked great in all the recent matchs I'v seen him in but other than Matyushenko(a big weight difference there aswell) all of them were agenst opponants who let him stand without really having standup anywhere his own. He does have a Sambo background but that doesnt garenteed he'll be another Fedor on the ground.

eddieskyclad
05-02-2006, 10:28 PM
Anyone watching UFC 57 on Bravo... or is it just me?

Halftime Gold
06-02-2006, 01:02 AM
Just finished watching it, I won't mention the Randy/Chuck result incase someone is watching it on the hour delay channel though.

The Mir fight was a classic example of why I think elbows should not be allowed, it was really all over the instant that cut him even if it didnt rock him.

Halftime Gold
09-02-2006, 11:06 AM
Looks like you were right about Randy, he didnt ever really look that confident even if a slip ultimately cost him the match, I'd guess Chuck/Babalu II will happen sometimes this year now.

Dirty Northener
09-02-2006, 11:45 AM
Looks like you were right about Randy, he didnt ever really look that confident even if a slip ultimately cost him the match, I'd guess Chuck/Babalu II will happen sometimes this year now.

Your right about Randy not looking like his normal self, but its a shame he slipped before getting knocked out as it adds a what if factor to the fight when it would have been nice to get a firm conclusion to the trilogy. With regards to Babalu vs Liddell it doesnt excite me at all. Theres something about Babalu that I dont find exciting, it could be his lack of charisma but i'm just not excited about that fight. I cant believe what happened with Mir either, do you think they matched him up too tough to start with? I hope we see Nick Diaz again too, I know how UFC can drop people when they lose a couple of times but I rate him highly.

Halftime Gold
09-02-2006, 01:15 PM
Your right about Randy not looking like his normal self, but its a shame he slipped before getting knocked out as it adds a what if factor to the fight when it would have been nice to get a firm conclusion to the trilogy. With regards to Babalu vs Liddell it doesnt excite me at all. Theres something about Babalu that I dont find exciting, it could be his lack of charisma but i'm just not excited about that fight. I cant believe what happened with Mir either, do you think they matched him up too tough to start with? I hope we see Nick Diaz again too, I know how UFC can drop people when they lose a couple of times but I rate him highly.

Babalu's got to be one of the scariest looking guys in MMA, maybe not the most interesting ever but certainly not a lay and pray fighter.

http://www.sherdog.com/images/news/2198.jpg

He might be in the same postion as Randy though, I get the feeling that Chuck has perfected the art of keeping the ground speicalist at arms lenght while looking for the knockout punch. Crocop was in the same postion in Japan and other than big Nog(who had to weather blows that would have beaten most other fighters) it took guys who could stand with him and give him something to think about other than looking for the counter punch to beat him.

Dirty Northener
09-02-2006, 01:56 PM
I get the feeling that Chuck has perfected the art of keeping the ground speicalist at arms lenght while looking for the knockout punch. Crocop was in the same postion in Japan and other than big Nog(who had to weather blows that would have beaten most other fighters) it took guys who could stand with him and give him something to think about other than looking for the counter punch to beat him.

I think your right on the money with that, who in Liddell's weight range do you think could beat him in the world???

Funk Butter
09-02-2006, 02:21 PM
I think your right on the money with that, who in Liddell's weight range do you think could beat him in the world???
Quinton Jackson. (And Silva and Rua, obviously) But this is Rampage's last fight on his current Pride contract. He has said that he's considering returning to Pride or going to UFC. All dependant on whether he wants to go for the gold, or the "gold".

Halftime Gold
09-02-2006, 03:09 PM
I'd guess Jackson could earn alot in the UFC aswell from endosments given their relative lack of black american fighters. Probabley a wise move aswell since his only weakness seems to be Chute Boxe fighters and theres nobody who really pushes the fight as hard as they do in the UFC.

Halftime Gold
13-02-2006, 11:45 AM
Jerome Lebanner called out Tim Sylvia for either a K1 or UFC match a few days ago resulting in each of them slagging the other off over the net, what does everyone think are the chances of this actually happening and if so to what result?

I don't see the UFC letting Sylvia fight in K1 even if he wanted to as its pretty obvious he would get massacred there. I wouldnt be supprized if this was a work to build up interest in a UFC fight though espeically as Lebanner is sponsered by Xyience. I'v only seen one Lebanner MMA match and he did look to have some kind of ground game so I'd guess he would have a decent chance in the cage aswell.

Dirty Northener
15-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Jerome Lebanner called out Tim Sylvia for either a K1 or UFC match a few days ago resulting in each of them slagging the other off over the net, what does everyone think are the chances of this actually happening and if so to what result?

Seen Lebanner a few times and he would walk that fight under any rules. Did you see Tim Sylvia lost control of his bowels during the last fight he had with Silva and soiled himslef during the match. First time ive ever heard of that happening. :)

Funk Butter
15-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Seen Lebanner a few times and he would walk that fight under any rules. Did you see Tim Sylvia lost control of his bowels during the last fight he had with Silva and soiled himslef during the match. First time ive ever heard of that happening. :)
Kevin Nash came to do an interview at the Georgia Tech radio station one time when I worked there. He told a story of having a match with Sid Vicious, where Sid shit himself early in the match. They had to take the match behind the curtain. They ran another match while Sid got changed, then Nash and Sid came back from behind the curtain fighting.

Well, K1 and UFC are in an agreement over Gracie fighting Hughes, so its not inconceivable to imagine that something is cooking here. I suppose the stip in this match would be the first person to break their arm loses.

Dirty Northener
15-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Kevin Nash came to do an interview at the Georgia Tech radio station one time when I worked there. He told a story of having a match with Sid Vicious, where Sid shit himself early in the match. They had to take the match behind the curtain. They ran another match while Sid got changed, then Nash and Sid came back from behind the curtain fighting.

I love it, what a story! Didnt know you knew about wrestling as well, basketball, mma and wrestling, you are a person of good taste :p

Oh and Sid Vicious was the man!

Halftime Gold
16-02-2006, 08:46 AM
I love it, what a story! Didnt know you knew about wrestling as well, basketball, mma and wrestling, you are a person of good taste :p

Oh and Sid Vicious was the man!

The Man with the most dodgy stories surounding him anyway...

"Back in WCW, Sid had a pet squirrel that he always traveled with. One wrestler bet Sid that he couldn't keep the squirrel in his pants for 60 seconds, in a version of the old sport, "ferret legging." The squirrel bit the hell out of Sid's legs and finally, Sid couldn't handle it any more, and he fell over, squishing the squirrel. Ever since then, Sid has lovingly been called "King of the Squirrels" by his e-fans. "

Tim Sylvia would certainly be a good match for Lebanner since I can't see him trying to take it to the ground much. Might the UFC and K1 working together also bring the specter of Sappomania running wild in the US a little closer?

Dirty Northener
16-02-2006, 08:58 AM
The Man with the most dodgy stories surounding him anyway...

"Back in WCW, Sid had a pet squirrel that he always traveled with. One wrestler bet Sid that he couldn't keep the squirrel in his pants for 60 seconds, in a version of the old sport, "ferret legging." The squirrel bit the hell out of Sid's legs and finally, Sid couldn't handle it any more, and he fell over, squishing the squirrel. Ever since then, Sid has lovingly been called "King of the Squirrels" by his e-fans. "

I havent heard that one either, what a superb story! :p

BringBackSasa
16-02-2006, 02:37 PM

Didn't Kevin Randleman do it once?

Anyway, I've just watched the Genki Sudo V Kid fight and I'm still pissing myself over Genki's entrance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6dqeE0BdME

Genki has to be the most entertaining fighter:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6475505840089343630

Funk Butter
16-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Didn't Kevin Randleman do it once?

Anyway, I've just watched the Genki Sudo V Kid fight and I'm still pissing myself over Genki's entrance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6dqeE0BdME

Genki has to be the most entertaining fighter:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6475505840089343630
He has some good ones, I was in Japan on New Year's one time when he fought Butterbean. He came out as Rick Vaughn from "Major League", complete with "Wild Thing" music. Then tapped Butterbean in less than 2 minutes. He had some good entrances in UFC, too, back when they were really junk.

Here's a good highlight for you (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8138893683141394468&q=rumina+sato)

BringBackSasa
16-02-2006, 04:23 PM

Here's a good highlight for you (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8138893683141394468&q=rumina+sato)

Cool, hadn't seen that.

Funk Butter
25-02-2006, 09:09 PM
Here are my Pride 31 picks:

Pedro Rizzo vs. Roman Zentsov- Rizzo via pummelling R1
Rampage Jackson vs. Yoon Dong Sik- Rampage via pummeling R1
Jon Olav Einemo vs. Fabricio Werdum- Einemo via decision
Tsuyoshi Kohsaka vs. Mario Sperry- Sperry via decision
Sergei Kharitonov vs. Alistair Overeem- Kharitonov via pummeling R2
Josh Barnett vs. Kazuhiro Nakamura- Barnett via twisting R2
Rodrigo Minotauro vs. Kiyoshi Tamura- Nogueira via pummeling R1
Mauricio Shogun vs. Mark Coleman- Shogun via twisting R1
Mark Hunt vs. Yosuke Nishijima- Hunt via pummelling R1

Rampage, Noguiera and Hunt are the slam dunks, so they are really short odds. Even parlayed together. Went with Einemo (+158) and Sperry (-170) as my biggest odds. That Sperry/Kohsaka might have been a good match 6 years ago, but now it might just be a rolling-around contest. I'm interested to see what Einemo does, he has a good reputation From Abu Dhabi, but hasn't amassed much time in the MMA ring.

Halftime Gold
25-02-2006, 11:44 PM
I'd probabley go for the same, I thought the weight difference might give Coleman a chance to smother Shogun to a decision but he was actually the lighter of the two in the weigh in. Overeem/Kharitonov has the potential to be the best fight if you ask me, Segei would definately be the the favourite but I think Alister might benefit from moving up in weight. However skinning he is at 6"5 he must have had to cut alot to reach 205 in the past and I wonder how much thats contributed to him gassing after a good start(verus Chuck and Shogun for example).

Funk Butter
26-02-2006, 03:48 AM
I'd probabley go for the same, I thought the weight difference might give Coleman a chance to smother Shogun to a decision but he was actually the lighter of the two in the weigh in. Overeem/Kharitonov has the potential to be the best fight if you ask me, Segei would definately be the the favourite but I think Alister might benefit from moving up in weight. However skinning he is at 6"5 he must have had to cut alot to reach 205 in the past and I wonder how much thats contributed to him gassing after a good start(verus Chuck and Shogun for example).
Coleman did look good in this sparring footage I saw, but realistically he hasn't truly dominated anybody physically since his salad days in the UFC in the 90s. He had an easy road to the original Pride Grand Prix crown. Then got exposed by Nogiuera and hasn't been the same since. Even if Rua came in 20 pounds lighter than Coleman, he would still have too much for him. Rua is just such a madman, reminiscent of a younger Silva.

Kharitonov I think just has too much for Overeem. I don't think he'll want to stand too long with Overeem, so it might turn out similar to the Kharitonov/Schilt fight. Even though Overeem is better than Schilt on the ground, Sergei will just have too much for him there.

Funk Butter
26-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Pride 31 spoilers:

Roman Zentsov KO'd Pedro Rizzo 25 seconds into Round 1 with a counter left hook.
Quentin Jackson won a unanimous decision over Yoon Dong Sik.
Fabricio Wredum defeated Jon Olav Einemo by unanimous decision.
Tsuyoshi Kosaka TKOs Ze Mario Sperry in round 1.
Alistair Overeem TKOs Sergey Kharitonov in round 1 with knees.
Josh Barnett defeated Nakamura with a rear naked choke late in round 1.
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira armbarred Kiyoshi Tamura in round 1.
Mark Coleman defeats Shogun after Shogun broke his arm when he fell early in the fight.
Mark Hunt TKOs Yusuke Nishijima in round 3 with a punch combo.

Dirty Northener
27-02-2006, 08:38 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Funk Butter
Alistair Overeem TKOs Sergey Kharitonov in round 1 with knees

:eek:

Halftime Gold
27-02-2006, 08:54 AM
Shoguns injury looked nasty from the gif I saw, pretty routine leg takedown by Coleman but somehow while trying to break his fall Shogun's elbow badly twisted to the side. There was chaos after that aswell with Coleman pushing the ref away when he stepped in to stop it then Silva and Baroni getting into the ring with blows suposidly exchanged.

At least Pride seem to have found themselves a new top level heavyweight in Overeem. Will be interesting to see the match as like I said I think it was only his lack of condictioning that held him back at 205 and surely having to cut as much weight as he did at that level had to have an effect on that.

Funk Butter
27-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Shoguns injury looked nasty from the gif I saw, pretty routine leg takedown by Coleman but somehow while trying to break his fall Shogun's elbow badly twisted to the side. There was chaos after that aswell with Coleman pushing the ref away when he stepped in to stop it then Silva and Baroni getting into the ring with blows suposidly exchanged.

At least Pride seem to have found themselves a new top level heavyweight in Overeem. Will be interesting to see the match as like I said I think it was only his lack of condictioning that held him back at 205 and surely having to cut as much weight as he did at that level had to have an effect on that.
You would have thought Shogun would have had years of training in how to fall. He was just asking for an injury with the way he went down. (He almost did the same thing on the first slam) And Coleman is just a madman, throwing the ref around is a serious no-no. Not sure if he losing some cash for that one. That guy has serious blinders on when he fights. I guess Kharitonov hurt his shoulder at some point in this fight and had trouble getting a good defense in.

BringBackSasa
27-02-2006, 03:52 PM
That guy has serious blinders on when he fights.

Roid rage.

And how about poor ol' Pedro Rizzo? Is he done?

Funk Butter
27-02-2006, 04:08 PM
Roid rage.

And how about poor ol' Pedro Rizzo? Is he done?
Rizzo is definitely in trouble. I doubt Pride will have him back, I suppose he can go back to UFC, but I'm not sure how much he has left for them.

BringBackSasa
27-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Not many fights out there for AA (assuming he re-signs for the UFC). Eventually, they might have to dig up Ricco & Rizzo for rematches. The first AA v Rizzo was such a war (what a one-two!) I wouldn't mind seeing them go again, but it would be hard to justify another title shot for Pedro.

Funk Butter
27-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Not many fights out there for AA (assuming he re-signs for the UFC). Eventually, they might have to dig up Ricco & Rizzo for rematches. The first AA v Rizzo was such a war (what a one-two!) I wouldn't mind seeing them go again, but it would be hard to justify another title shot for Pedro.
Well, the problem is Ricco Rodriguez is well over 300 pounds now and fighting on the fringes, don't look for him again.

Halftime Gold
28-02-2006, 12:18 AM
You would have thought Shogun would have had years of training in how to fall. He was just asking for an injury with the way he went down. (He almost did the same thing on the first slam) And Coleman is just a madman, throwing the ref around is a serious no-no. Not sure if he losing some cash for that one. That guy has serious blinders on when he fights. I guess Kharitonov hurt his shoulder at some point in this fight and had trouble getting a good defense in.

I'v noticed Shogun does tend to fall a little awkardly sometimes however I'd say that 99 times out of 100 he'd not have injuried himself in that situation. I think you maybe right about Kharitonov, Overeems first takedown landed him right on his sholder(didnt he injury one of them verus Werdum?) and after that he didnt really make any atempt to escape the side mount. That maybe selling Overeem a little short I spose as when ontop he isnt easy to reverse and few if any fighters throw better knees from that position.

Halftime Gold
01-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Having seen a slowmo of the takedown Kharitonov definately looks like he injuried his sholder although Overeem can IMHO take alot more credit for that than Coleman can, he got an arm under his leg and drove him sholder first into the mat.

Halftime Gold
06-03-2006, 12:50 AM
BJ Penn losing to St. Pierre again shows the problem with the UFC judging if you ask me, not only is 15 mins far too short but the latter was able to win merely by being ontop on the ground dispite taking far more punishment and making no real atempt to finish the fight.

BringBackSasa
06-03-2006, 01:56 AM
I would agree but I won money from a mate on GSP (and Franklin). Puts me 3-0 with him after Chuck/Randy 3, he must hate me. And he's going to hate me even more after the Hughes/Gracie fight. He's picked Gracie.

Halftime Gold
06-03-2006, 02:16 AM
The problem is IMHO that their trying to judge to boxing style criteria in order to try and look more legitimate. The difference is that most point scoring in boxing does come from an effort to win the fight where as if you place such massive weight on the wrestling aspect you end up rewarding tatics that make no effort at all to do so.

Funk Butter
06-03-2006, 04:54 AM
The problem is IMHO that their trying to judge to boxing style criteria in order to try and look more legitimate. The difference is that most point scoring in boxing does come from an effort to win the fight where as if you place such massive weight on the wrestling aspect you end up rewarding tatics that make no effort at all to do so.
Here are the rules that come down from the Nevada State Athletic Commission:

13:46-24A.13 Judging

(a) All bouts will be evaluated and scored by three judges.

(b) The 10-Point Must System will be the standard system of scoring a bout. Under the 10-Point Must Scoring System, 10 points must be awarded to the winner of the round and nine points or less must be awarded to the loser, except for a rare even round, which is scored (10-10).

(c) Judges shall evaluate mixed martial arts techniques, such as effective striking, effective grappling, control of the fighting area, effective aggressiveness and defense.

(d) Evaluations shall be made in the order in which the techniques appear in (c) above, giving the most weight in scoring to effective striking, effective grappling, control of the fighting area and effective aggressiveness and defense.

(e) Effective striking is judged by determining the total number of legal heavy strikes landed by a contestant.

(f) Effective grappling is judged by considering the amount of successful executions of a legal takedown and reversals. Examples of factors to consider are take downs from standing position to mount position, passing the guard to mount position, and bottom position fighters using an active, threatening guard.

(g) Fighting area control is judged by determining who is dictating the pace, location and position of the bout. Examples of factors to consider are countering a grappler’s attempt at takedown by remaining standing and legally striking ; taking down an opponent to force a ground fight; creating threatening submission attempts, passing the guard to achieve mount, and creating striking opportunities.

(h) Effective aggressiveness means moving forward and landing a legal strike.

(i) Effective defense means avoiding being struck, taken down or reversed while countering with offensive attacks.

(j) The following objective scoring criteria shall be utilized by the judges when scoring a round;

1. A round is to be scored as a 10-10 Round when both contestants appear to be fighting evenly and neither contestant shows clear dominance in a round;

2. A round is to be scored as a 10-9 Round when a contestant wins by a close margin, landing the greater number of effective legal strikes, grappling and other maneuvers;

3. A round is to be scored as a 10-8 Round when a contestant overwhelmingly dominates by striking or grappling in a round.

4. A round is to be scored as a 10-7 Round when a contestant totally dominates by striking or grappling in a round.

(k) Judges shall use a sliding scale and recognize the length of time the fighters are either standing or on the ground, as follows:

1. If the mixed martial artists spent a majority of a round on the canvas, then:
i. Effective grappling is weighed first; and
ii. Effective striking is then weighed

2. If the mixed martial artists spent a majority of a round standing, then:
1. Effective striking is weighed first; and
2. Effective grappling is then weighed

3. If a round ends with a relatively even amount of standing and canvas fighting, striking and grappling are weighed equally.

So let me take it individually:

(e) Effective striking is judged by determining the total number of legal heavy strikes landed by a contestant.
Total number I gotta give to GSP. Penn had the eyepoke and uppercut (opening up the nose) in the 1st round, but GSP had the most strikes landed.

(f) Effective grappling is judged by considering the amount of successful executions of a legal takedown and reversals. Examples of factors to consider are take downs from standing position to mount position, passing the guard to mount position, and bottom position fighters using an active, threatening guard.
Gets a little gray here. GSP wins big-time based on the 1st sentence. But the 2nd sorta contradicts the 1st. GSP had all the takedowns (but one), but they ended up with him in Penn's guard. So he had "legal takedowns" but didn't go from standing to mount.

(g) Fighting area control is judged by determining who is dictating the pace, location and position of the bout. Examples of factors to consider are countering a grappler’s attempt at takedown by remaining standing and legally striking ; taking down an opponent to force a ground fight; creating threatening submission attempts, passing the guard to achieve mount, and creating striking opportunities.
Gotta give GSP this as well. Penn seemed to lose interest in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. GSP had Penn up against the cage on multiple occasions and seemed to be in control when they clinched.

(h) Effective aggressiveness means moving forward and landing a legal strike.
I think GSP has a slight advantage here. This seems to be a little like the previous rule.

(i) Effective defense means avoiding being struck, taken down or reversed while countering with offensive attacks.
Well, this might go to Penn, but its close again. GSP sure didn't have effective defense in the first, but it wasn't a dominant round for Penn either.

All this adds up to exactly what happened, a split decision. Unfortunately, the eyepoke led to a nasty cut and GSP having problems in round 1. That's why he looked way worse than Penn at the end. I don't think its too much of a problem, if Penn sticks with UFC, he'll get the winner of Hughes/St Pierre.

Halftime Gold
06-03-2006, 08:51 AM
Yeah under those rules it makes sense although Penn dominated the first more than St, Pierre did the other two rounds for me. My point was that normal takedowns themselves generally(at events not called Pride 31) do not directly result in victory, neither does ground control or backing someone into the cage so they should carry much less weight that effective striking or submission atempts. Combine that with round by round scoring rather than complete fight scoring and your often going to have a winner who never looked like winning the fight any other way.

BringBackSasa
06-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Overall, I prefer the UFC scoring system over pride's. I don't like Henderson/Ninja type results where a guy can dominate the first 15 minutes then loses just because Dan was closer to finishing the fight in the last 5 minute round.

Penn still has to fight Hughes, whatever route it takes. I think they should put him with Karo first (which I can't see him losing), then have the Hughes rematch whatever the result with GSP.

As a sidenote, weren't the fans as rubbish as ever? The USA v Canada thing was a terrible idea. Every time I hear "USA, USA" I can't help thinking 'Team America, •••• Yeah!'.

Daddy Long
06-03-2006, 03:56 PM
Dirka dirka jihad jihad

Halftime Gold
06-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Overall, I prefer the UFC scoring system over pride's. I don't like Henderson/Ninja type results where a guy can dominate the first 15 minutes then loses just because Dan was closer to finishing the fight in the last 5 minute round.

I'v not seen that much but I agree Pride isnt without its dodgy decisions although less so recently. The biggest problem I have with the UFC rules is that they encourage tactics that are only based on getting the decision not actually trying to beat the opponant, combined with the fear of being fired after a loss I think it results in alot of dull listless fights.

eddieskyclad
25-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned already but it's interesting that British fighter Lee Murray who's worked for UFC and was famously stabbed not so long back at some celebrity party in London is the man who is believed to be the mastermind behind the £53million heist the other week.

Lots of other smaller names from the British MMA scene are involved too apparently.

Halftime Gold
07-05-2006, 01:10 PM
Anyone still interested in this thread? A few notable recent fights with Sylvia getting the supprize win verus Arlovski and the first round of the Pride Openweight GP last friday.

Dirty Northener
07-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Anyone still interested in this thread? A few notable recent fights with Sylvia getting the supprize win verus Arlovski and the first round of the Pride Openweight GP last friday.

Me! Ive been away on holiday so havent been able to post much, the Arlovski result really suprised me!

Halftime Gold
07-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Me! Ive been away on holiday so havent been able to post much, the Arlovski result really suprised me!

Indeed certainly supprized me aswell although he has shown a less than iron jaw in the past. Are you keeping yourself spoiler free for the Pride GP? Great shown I thought with alots of fights that looked like they could be dull or mismatchs really delivering.

Funk Butter
07-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Yeah, Arlovski got sloppy. He popped Sylvia and knocked him down, got a little too anxious, put himself in a bad position, then when they both popped up, Sylvia was able to give him a good strike to the dome.

The Pride show was the best they've had in years. Some overwhelming mismatches and some nice tete-a-tetes. Not one decision, every match was stopped before full time. I've never laughed so hard as when Kohsaka walked straight at Mark Hunt with his hands down and screaming at Hunt to hit him. What a nut.

eddieskyclad
07-05-2006, 11:43 PM
Bizarrely enough I was at an MMA Event last weekend in Middlesbrough... crowd must have been 300 and it was a decent show.

Most interesting thing for me about UFC 59 was the mammoth buyrate...

Halftime Gold
08-05-2006, 08:39 AM
Yeah, Arlovski got sloppy. He popped Sylvia and knocked him down, got a little too anxious, put himself in a bad position, then when they both popped up, Sylvia was able to give him a good strike to the dome.

The Pride show was the best they've had in years. Some overwhelming mismatches and some nice tete-a-tetes. Not one decision, every match was stopped before full time. I've never laughed so hard as when Kohsaka walked straight at Mark Hunt with his hands down and screaming at Hunt to hit him. What a nut.

Arlovski should have been right ontop of him after the knockdown rather than looking for the flashy finish, hopefully he'll learn from that in the rematch. I was half expecting TK to scream "AAAAAAAADDDRRRRRRIIIIANNNNN!" verus Hunt, gonna have to rewatch that along with my rocky 4 soundtrack.

Any gueses on the round 2 draw?(which will mean spoilers if anyones avoiding it)

Dirty Northener
08-05-2006, 12:46 PM
Arlovski should have been right ontop of him after the knockdown rather than looking for the flashy finish, hopefully he'll learn from that in the rematch. I was half expecting TK to scream "AAAAAAAADDDRRRRRRIIIIANNNNN!" verus Hunt, gonna have to rewatch that along with my rocky 4 soundtrack.

Any gueses on the round 2 draw?(which will mean spoilers if anyones avoiding it)

Lets have the spoilers, i havent checked em yet but it seems like im the only one that hasnt seen it

Halftime Gold
08-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Lets have the spoilers, i havent checked em yet but it seems like im the only one that hasnt seen it

Roman Zentsov over Gilbert Yvel by KO in R1. - Zentsov dominated him on the ground then KOed him with a looping left just as they got up.

Werdum over Overeem by Kimura in R2 - Overeem had the best of R1 (although Werdum looked pretty good standing) before gassing and getting submitted from the bottom in R2.

Hunt over Kosaka by Ref Stoppage in R2. - Best fight I'v seen this year, Rocky style standing action with TK getting knocked down a few times but also coming very close to sinking a rear naked Choke and Kimura on Hunt before gradully getting worn down towards the end of the second.

Crocop over Minowa by TKO in R1. Minowa semi hit a koppo kick before getting backed into a corner and beaten down in just over a minute.

Fujita over Thompson by KO in R1. Thompson dominated standing for most of the first before Fujita rocked him a few times(blood even ending up on the camara) then landed a massive KO.

Yoshida over Nishijima by Triangle/Armbar in R1. Short standup before Yoshida got the takedown and submited him quickly.

Barnet over Aleksander by Kimura in R2. Aleksander pumeled Barnet for 7-8 mins in the first before gassing(might have dislocated his hand aswell) and eatting some knees on the ground then being submitted at the third atempt.

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira over Zuluzinho by armbar in R1. Nog took him down and pounded him before Zulu pratically fed him the arm for the submission.

Fedor is sposed to have gotten a bye in order to recover from hand surgery with Zentsov taking is place if he can't make it. I'd guess a fight verus Barnet is very likely considering he just beat his brother and called him out afterwards. I'd love to see Hunt/Fujita in a battle of the hard hitting ironjaws but I'd guess we might get Fujita/Yoshida to make sure theres a Japanese fighter in the finals. Crocop and Werdum are training partners so I'd guess they will be kept apart aswell.

Funk Butter
08-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Yeah, Barnett said "Fedor, Omae wa shinde iru" Which basically means, "Fedor, you're already dead". NICE, setting up some future match down the line. Off topic, met that guy in Japan once. Hella good guy. Completely gigantic, as well. My guess for the next round, CroCop vs Fedor, Werdun vs Barnett, Hunt vs Yoshida, Nog vs Fujita. But realistically you can have any combination and it'll be gold. Not a dog in that group.

Halftime Gold
08-05-2006, 11:58 PM
I'm not sure he'd have much chance verus Fedor, Aleks was really smacking him around standing and his big brother isnt going to gas or get subbed so easly. The good thing is that everyone left is legit so no matter how they book it theres no chance we'll see a repeat of 2004 where one guy gets the disadvanatge of a difficult semi while the other gets a nothing one.

BringBackSasa
09-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Yeah, Barnett said "Fedor, Omae wa shinde iru" Which basically means, "Fedor, you're already dead".

He's been using that Fist of the North Star line for a while, it's almost as corny as his victory celebration. His fight with Aleks reminded me of his fight with Rizzo, but obviously with a different ending. I like the way he tries to stand up with better strikers, probably very stupid of him, but entertaining to watch.

A pretty good card overall, I think Fujita v Yoshida is unsurprisingly confirmed for the 2nd round.

I still can't believe Sylvia done AA.

Anyone watching Mike Bisping on on TUF3? He's looking very good, he should win it.

Daddy Long
09-05-2006, 10:45 AM

Anyone watching Mike Bisping on on TUF3? He's looking very good, he should win it.

On Bravo yeah? I'm watching it. He looked good in his first bout - knocked the shit out of that dozey yank.

Dirty Northener
09-05-2006, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
On Bravo yeah? I'm watching it. He looked good in his first bout - knocked the shit out of that dozey yank.

Yeah i think he could win it too!

Funk Butter
09-05-2006, 02:33 PM
Among the Light Heavyweights, I don't think he'll have a problem. He is extremely susceptible to submission fighters. But I'm not sure he'll have to face any among this group. Noah's jiu jitsu isn't strong enough, I don't think. Mike and Tait are the wild cards here, since I haven't seen one bit of what their's is like.

Funk Butter
20-05-2006, 02:00 AM
Among the Light Heavyweights, I don't think he'll have a problem. He is extremely susceptible to submission fighters. But I'm not sure he'll have to face any among this group. Noah's jiu jitsu isn't strong enough, I don't think. Mike and Tait are the wild cards here, since I haven't seen one bit of what their's is like.
Well, don't have to worry about Noah or Tait anymore. Its setting up for Bisping to easily make it thru. Matt's had his deaf bell rung, Jesse completely sucks, and Josh has nowhere near enough skills to compete. Only hiccup might be Mike, who I hear has some game.

Halftime Gold
21-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Latest word on the second round of the Pride GP is that Fedor won't be fit in time with Wanderlei Silva taking his place.

Funk Butter
21-05-2006, 09:50 PM
Latest word on the second round of the Pride GP is that Fedor won't be fit in time with Wanderlei Silva taking his place.
Well, why in the hell did Zentsov waste his time with Yvel then. Silva will have problems with anybody in the 2nd round, not any sure things. For some reason, I can see them matching him up with either Yoshida or Barnett. Yoshida being his best hope for advancing.

Halftime Gold
22-05-2006, 07:39 AM
Well, why in the hell did Zentsov waste his time with Yvel then. Silva will have problems with anybody in the 2nd round, not any sure things. For some reason, I can see them matching him up with either Yoshida or Barnett. Yoshida being his best hope for advancing.

I'd guess as a fallback if they couldnt find anyone else, Silva was sposed to be in the first round but wasnt due to a contract dispute of some kind. I don't really have a problem with him getting a bye, as entertaining as it was too many of the R1 fights were mismatchs to make it much of a legit contest so he isnt really getting much advantage. I agree he wouldnt be favourite verus most of the field(maybe just Fujita/Yoshida) due to the size difference but at least theres a lack of good wrestlers(other than Barnett and Yoshida) which seem to be his main weakness.

Funk Butter
31-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Word on the street that following Sakuraba's move to K1 that he has signed for a big money fight against Rickson Gracie on New Year's Eve.

Also, Quinton Jackson is fighting Matt Lindland at the inagural WFA show on June 22nd in LA. Also on that show will be the return of Bas Rutten to the ring against that dope Kimo Leopoldo. Ryoto Machida will also be on the show as well as various UFC outcasts.

Dirty Northener
01-06-2006, 07:45 AM
Also on that show will be the return of Bas Rutten to the ring against that dope Kimo Leopoldo.

I wonder who will win that :rolleyes:

Bas Rutten i think (Kimo is useless)

eddieskyclad
08-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Pride Open Weight Grand Prix quarterfinals in July

Wanderlei Silva vs. Kazuyuki Fujita
Mirko Cro Cop vs. Hidehiko Yoshida
Mark Hunt vs. Josh Barnett
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Fabricio Werdum

Dirty Northener
08-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Pride Open Weight Grand Prix quarterfinals in July

Wanderlei Silva vs. Kazuyuki Fujita
Mirko Cro Cop vs. Hidehiko Yoshida
Mark Hunt vs. Josh Barnett
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Fabricio Werdum

Hunt vs Barnett should be good

Halftime Gold
08-06-2006, 06:08 PM
The big news is that Fuji TV have cancilled Pride's TV deal due to the bad PR from their recent Yakuza scandels. Not sure how much of an effect that will have to the short term considering that I'd guess they earn most of their money from tickets with 50,000 attendances but this could lead to K1 Heroes taking over as the biggest company in Japan/The World I guess.

Shame as the Japanese audience will miss on out a ring enterance at Bushido XI to rival Genki Sudo's best. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctzf_U3ILGQ&search=Ageage

Funk Butter
08-06-2006, 07:41 PM
The big news is that Fuji TV have cancilled Pride's TV deal due to the bad PR from their recent Yakuza scandels. Not sure how much of an effect that will have to the short term considering that I'd guess they earn most of their money from tickets with 50,000 attendances but this could lead to K1 Heroes taking over as the biggest company in Japan/The World I guess.

Shame as the Japanese audience will miss on out a ring enterance at Bushido XI to rival Genki Sudo's best. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctzf_U3ILGQ&search=Ageage
Its even better when you speed it up.

http://ncnguyen.com/gonodance.gif

As for Pride, not sure what will happen. I can't see them not being able to snap up a new TV deal as much money as there is to be made. I'll have to email my friend at Dream Stage. Winners in this 2nd round, I'll go with Fujita, Crocop, Barnett and Nogueira.

Halftime Gold
08-06-2006, 09:23 PM

As for Pride, not sure what will happen. I can't see them not being able to snap up a new TV deal as much money as there is to be made. I'll have to email my friend at Dream Stage. Winners in this 2nd round, I'll go with Fujita, Crocop, Barnett and Nogueira.

From what I'v read Fuji TV were getting alot of criticism from the Japanese press for carrying Pride's shows after the supposed threats made to the promoter of Inoki's 2003 new year show when trying to book Fedor were made public recently. Yakuza influence in general seems to have moved from pro wrestling to MMA so its not supprizing I spose and Takada always have a rep of having dodgy friends. I wouldnt be supprized if they made an effort to clear up their image by sacking some management then got a new TV deal though.

Wanderlei Silva vs. Kazuyuki Fujita - Fujita has the power advantage and the iron head but if he gives Silva as much as he gave Thompson I think he could well get TKOed under a shootboxe onslaught even if he isnt actually KOed.

Mirko Cro Cop vs. Hidehiko Yoshida - Yoshida's judo takedowns should be more effective agenst Mirko's sprawl than typical wrestling but its hard to see him finishing it the ground if Fedor couldnt.

Mark Hunt vs. Josh Barnett - I'd guess this will depend how good Hunt's sprawl has gotten, if it stays standing then Hunt hits harder than Aleks but if it ends up on the ground you'd think Barett would be able to get a sub.

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Fabricio Werdum - Should be interesting to see how this goes since Nog will have the advantage standing rather than on the ground for once. I wouldnt be supprized to see him get the decision based on the former as they'll likely cancil each other out on the ground.

Daddy Long
26-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Bisping won UFC3 Light Heavy division quite easily in the end.

Both the middleweights were offered contracts which was the right decision.

Can't wait for the Ortiz v Shamrock fight in July.

Funk Butter
26-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Bisping won UFC3 Light Heavy division quite easily in the end.

Both the middleweights were offered contracts which was the right decision.

Can't wait for the Ortiz v Shamrock fight in July.
The only competition he had in that group was the deaf guy. And that guy really lost his edge once he took a few good shots. Will be interesting to see how they bring him along and who will be his next fight.

Kendall vs Herman was a fantastic fight. That could have gone either way. I think the deciding factor was the choke that Kendall had on for the last 30 seconds of the fight.

BTW, Ortiz is gonna murder Shamrock.

Daddy Long
26-06-2006, 02:14 PM

BTW, Ortiz is gonna murder Shamrock.

Lets hope so.

Also looking forward to Sylvia vs Arlovski.

Halftime Gold
02-07-2006, 04:12 PM
Pride Critical Countdown Spoilers Below....

Pawel Nastula over Edson Drago via armbar in the 1st.

Yoshihiro Nakao over Lee Eun Su by Doctor Stoppage in the 1st.

Vitor Belfort over Yoshiki Takahashi via KO in the 1st.

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira over Alistair Overeem by TKO (towel) in the 2nd.

Kazuhiro Nakamura over Cyborg Santos via submission (keylock) in the 1st.

Open Weight GP matchs

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira over Fabricio Werdum via unanimous decision. The first round was mostly standing that Nog dominated getting a few knockdowns without ever looking like ending it. The next two were mostly on the ground with Nog having a slight position advantage for the easy decision.

Wanderlei Silva over Kazuyuki Fujita via TKO in the 1st. Silva had Fujita in trouble early before being taken down and almost getting a couple of armbars from the bottom. A bit of a standoff for a few mins then Silva caught him with a good combination and soccer kicked his way to a TKO.

Josh Barnett over Mark Hunt via submission in the 1st, kimura. Barnett wisely went straight to the ground on the second atempt and got the submission fairly easily.

Mirko Cro Cop over Hidehiko Yoshida via TKO from leg kicks in the 1st. Yoshia wasnt able to get it to the ground with a couple of early atempts then manged to survive standing until late in the round when Mirko knocked him down and then hit a series of powerful low kicks to his dodgy leg which ended the fight though injury.

Funk Butter
05-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Pride is coming to Las Vegas in October. I'm trying to get my buddy at Dream Stage to get me tickets.

BLUE BOY
07-07-2006, 06:09 PM
UFC 61 this weekend, any idea of where i can watch this on here for free?

eddieskyclad
07-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by BLUE BOY
UFC 61 this weekend, any idea of where i can watch this on here for free? If you can avoid spoilers for a day or two Bravo are showing it on Monday night.

BLUE BOY
07-07-2006, 06:23 PM
If you can avoid spoilers for a day or two Bravo are showing it on Monday night.

Okay, i did look at Saturdays and Sundays listings but didnt get to Mondays. Thanks.

SexualChocolate
10-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Any of you BBS'ers fans of the Ultimate Fighting Championship? I haven't seen a thread on it and wondered if anyone else appreciates the beauty in two steroidally enhanced beasts knocking crap out of each other in a cage?!

Without anyone being a smart alec and putting down the winner of Ortiz vs Shamrock, cos i've managed to stop myself finding out and ruining tonights surprise, who do you want to win? Tito Ortiz or Ken Shamrock?

Little Matt
10-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Hippo

SexualChocolate
10-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Little Matt
Hippo

Que?

xmasape
10-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Shark!

SexualChocolate
10-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Is this one of these 'in' jokes?

Little Matt
10-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Sorry, there is a long, long thread that pops up now and then asking who would win in a fight between a Hippo and a Shark. Your thread reminded me of it.

Harry Holmesdale
10-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by SexualChocolate
Is this one of these 'in' jokes?

yes it is mate, tedious innit !

Chas
10-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Um....this match happened two days ago!

In fact, save yourself the cash, if you're paying...

Shamrock v. Ortiz
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hNkILA5fJfQ&search=ufc%2061
http://youtube.com/watch?v=33xOXFg37Z0&search=ufc%2061
http://youtube.com/watch?v=f-P1bT85L4U&search=ufc%2061

And Arlovski v. Sylvia
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0P5Rn1LO-L0&search=ufc%2061
http://youtube.com/watch?v=068aRevcvBQ&search=ufc%2061
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TuG5DoqIJz4&search=ufc%2061
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BjmSqqMfSz4&search=ufc%2061
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CzydM-CG8gk&search=ufc%2061

I even posted the number of links to match the scheduled number of rounds, so you won't know how many round each fight went. Just don't scroll down when you watch, and you won't see how long the video files are!

Unfortunately i can't find the other matches...you shouold record them for me ;)

ebyeeckeagle
10-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Already a thread on this..........thats another fav in-joke:)

Ultimate (http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=123391)

Chas
10-07-2006, 04:08 PM
And by the way, you're just ASKING to have these results spoilt by posting this thread!

And posting a poll is just silly, as i voted having already seen the damn result!

Reps AJ
10-07-2006, 04:26 PM
But I have no idea and voted anyway, just so you get to keep the excitement going

LLCOOLSTEVE
10-07-2006, 04:34 PM
Someones gonna be let down later....

SexualChocolate
11-07-2006, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Chas
And by the way, you're just ASKING to have these results spoilt by posting this thread!

And posting a poll is just silly, as i voted having already seen the damn result!

Erm, no. I was asking NOT to have the result ruined, and for me it wasn't! I watched the show last night completely unaware of the outcomes and was pleasantly surprised by all results but the last. Daddy Stevenson was awesome (well, except in the 1st round!), overpowering Yves Edwards, who's no mug in the fight game. Tito gave Ken another beat-down, which would've been better if Herb Dean had let him land 10 - 156 more elbows!! :o . I was very disappointed with the performances of Frank Mir & Andre Arlovski though. Mir looked out of shape and disinterested throughout the fight with Christison and Arlovski was a shadow of his confident self against Sylvia. It was almost like he was scared of getting chinned again. Normally Andre is explosive, but he looked tentative last night. I hope he comes back stronger, cos at his best he is an amazingly gifted fighter.

What's everyone else's view on this?

Funk Butter
11-07-2006, 07:06 PM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Wanderlei Silva announcement. Looks like UFC signed him up for 3 fights. The first will be a Liddell/Silva fight towards the end of the year. At some point, I'm sure he will try to get revenge for a Tito Ortiz loss as well. Word on the street is that Fujita, Baroni, Nakamura and perhaps other Pride fighters are appearing on a UFC card later this year as well. With possibly Arlovski going the other way for a couple of fights.

Halftime Gold
11-07-2006, 07:45 PM
The Silva announcment was the highlight of an otherwise disapointing show for me. Its an interesting situation as for this fight to draw the UFC are going to have to build up Silva and as a result build up Pride aswell.

Sylvia called out Fedor after the show aswell which I'd normally take as BS(espeically considering the likely outcome) but doesnt seem so impossible anymore.

Dirty Northener
12-07-2006, 07:33 AM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Wanderlei Silva announcement. Looks like UFC signed him up for 3 fights. The first will be a Liddell/Silva fight towards the end of the year. At some point, I'm sure he will try to get revenge for a Tito Ortiz loss as well. Word on the street is that Fujita, Baroni, Nakamura and perhaps other Pride fighters are appearing on a UFC card later this year as well. With possibly Arlovski going the other way for a couple of fights.

Thats really good for the UFC, so come on evryone early predictions, who would win, Chuck or Wanderlei? Im going with Wanderlei.

Halftime Gold
12-07-2006, 10:07 AM
Thats really good for the UFC, so come on evryone early predictions, who would win, Chuck or Wanderlei? Im going with Wanderlei.

I'd say its a matchuo that suits Silva more, he's always looked at his best verus guys who are willing to stand with him in recent years(well bar Mark Hunt but thats Mark Hunt) where as Chuck seems to be at his best counter punching grapplers. I'd guess it could depend on...

Can Chuck KO Silva with one shot as he comes forward?

How well will Chuck hold up in extended exchanges?

How well will Silva ajust to UFC rules?

SexualChocolate
12-07-2006, 10:18 AM

No, Chuck any day of the week!

Great Lombardi
12-07-2006, 10:27 AM
The Tito vs Shamrock fight was very disappointing. The stoppage was too premature, although Tito in truth would probably have won the fight moments later. The Pitbull vs Sylvia bout was cack.

Pitbull's tactics were incredibly dumb and he deserved to lose. He did not try and ground Sylvia once, which was particularly stupid when he beat him on a submission in a prevous fight. Sylvia throws too many arm punches and would be destroyed by a journeyman heavyweight boxer.

SexualChocolate
12-07-2006, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Great Lombardi
The Tito vs Shamrock fight was very disappointing. The stoppage was too premature, although Tito in truth would probably have won the fight moments later. The Pitbull vs Sylvia bout was cack.

Pitbull's tactics were incredibly dumb and he deserved to lose. He did not try and ground Sylvia once, which was particularly stupid when he beat him on a submission in a prevous fight. Sylvia throws too many arm punches and would be destroyed by a journeyman heavyweight boxer.

I agree. It looked like AA had lost all confidence. It's a shame, he was awesome in all the previous fights i've seen him in.

The best fight had to be Joe 'Daddy' Stevenson vs Yves Edwards. That was a proper war!

BringBackSasa
12-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Terrible card overall.

The most exciting thing, obviously, was the Silva-Liddell announcement. Wanderlei has to be a slight favourite, but it's a tough fight to call. Should be great, if one of them doesn't get injured.

The second most noteworthy thing was when the crowd was giving a chorus of 'bullshit' during the AA-Sylvia fight and Goldberg said "the crowd are chanting pitbull". I hate him so much.

SexualChocolate
12-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Terrible card overall.

The most exciting thing, obviously, was the Silva-Liddell announcement. Wanderlei has to be a slight favourite, but it's a tough fight to call. Should be great, if one of them doesn't get injured.

The second most noteworthy thing was when the crowd was giving a chorus of 'bullshit' during the AA-Sylvia fight and Goldberg said "the crowd are chanting pitbull". I hate him so much.

Goldberg's hilarious. He's the Ron Atkinson of MMA. Talks absolutel b0ll0x!! It always makes me laugh when he explains the rules "We operate a 10 point must system, with the round winner gaining 10 points and his opponent 9 or less". What the f*ck is a 10 point must system?!!?!

Randy was much improved this time round though. I think him and Joe Rogan would be a good comentary team. Randy sounded dumb as f*ck on Ultimate Fight Night, but sounded ok this time.

Is Fedor coming to the UFC at any time? The Heavyweight division is a bit kack imo. We need some competition there.

Also, when's Jens Pulver having his first fight back? I can't wait to see him again, he's an animal! Speaking of animals, what's happened to Ruthless Robbie Lawler? Haven't seen or heard about him in ages?

Daddy Long
12-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Tito was always going to destroy Ken Shamrock. I hope they don't have a rematch. Tito vs the winner of Silva vs Liddell would be a good one given Tito's high profile at the moment as a result of Ultimate Fighter 3.

Looking forward to seeing Bisping in his first proper UFC match. How long do they normally give the Ultimate Fighter guys before debuting them?

Daddy Long
12-07-2006, 12:05 PM
What channel shows Pride?

SexualChocolate
12-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Tito was always going to destroy Ken Shamrock. I hope they don't have a rematch. Tito vs the winner of Silva vs Liddell would be a good one given Tito's high profile at the moment as a result of Ultimate Fighter 3.

Looking forward to seeing Bisping in his first proper UFC match. How long do they normally give the Ultimate Fighter guys before debuting them?

Depends who he's training with. Nate Quarry got a title shot after 5 mins cos he tongues the balls of Randy Couture, others like Joe Daddy had to do a Fight Night event before getting in the main event. I hope he gets a couple of journeymen to destroy first of all, like Forrest did, then gets a fight against, say Stefan Bonner, before moving onto the big boys. I think, with the right training MB's got all the tools to make it to the top. His attitude is second to none as well, unlike a lot of British fighters...:(

SexualChocolate
12-07-2006, 12:08 PM

None in the UK unfortunately. You've got to get it on DVD or off the net. :(

Funk Butter
12-07-2006, 02:07 PM
It looks like Arlovski tore up his knee in the 2nd round of the fight due to a Sylvia kick. He's already medically suspended from Nevada for 3 months pending the MRI results.

Gotta give Silva an edge over Liddell. I'm not sure that Liddell will be able to stop Silva's banzai attack. Liddell is going to have to work extra hard to keep Silva at a distance to land his shots while Silva is dashing to get inside on Liddell and do some dirty boxing on him. One UFC rule that might doom Liddell is the ability Silva will have to use his elbows. Those things might be what ends up decimating Liddell.

Read an interview with Silva where he said he is signed with Pride thru next summer. So UFC is apparently working with Pride on this deal. I suppose that they both saw the handwriting on the wall and decided to go into cahoots to keep their local competitors at bay.

Silva also hinted that his semifinal opponent in the tourney will be Crocop. So that means that Barnett is against Minotauro.

SexualChocolate
12-07-2006, 02:12 PM
It looks like Arlovski tore up his knee in the 2nd round of the fight due to a Sylvia kick. He's already medically suspended from Nevada for 3 months pending the MRI results.

Gotta give Silva an edge over Liddell. I'm not sure that Liddell will be able to stop Silva's banzai attack. Liddell is going to have to work extra hard to keep Silva at a distance to land his shots while Silva is dashing to get inside on Liddell and do some dirty boxing on him. One UFC rule that might doom Liddell is the ability Silva will have to use his elbows. Those things might be what ends up decimating Liddell.

Read an interview with Silva where he said he is signed with Pride thru next summer. So UFC is apparently working with Pride on this deal. I suppose that they both saw the handwriting on the wall and decided to go into cahoots to keep their local competitors at bay.

Silva also hinted that his semifinal opponent in the tourney will be Crocop. So that means that Barnett is against Minotauro.

Hi FB. I'm relatively new to the MMA scene. I've watched sh1t loads of UFC and a fair amount of Cage Rage, but my knowledge of Pride is pretty weak, apart from what i read in Fighters Only magazine. Where's the best place to catch up on Pride and get hold of some (preferable free!) old fights?

Funk Butter
12-07-2006, 04:59 PM
Hi FB. I'm relatively new to the MMA scene. I've watched sh1t loads of UFC and a fair amount of Cage Rage, but my knowledge of Pride is pretty weak, apart from what i read in Fighters Only magazine. Where's the best place to catch up on Pride and get hold of some (preferable free!) old fights?
I'm sure there's Pride shows on various PtP places. Before we got the Pride shows on PPV here, I would rent the original Japanese versions of the shows at a Japanese video store here in town. Not sure if they have anything like that anywhere near you.

Halftime Gold
12-07-2006, 05:23 PM

Men & Motors did have some shows on a 6 month delay a few months ago but as stated you either have to wait years for the DVD release or get it off the net.

Funk Butter
13-07-2006, 08:49 PM
This one turned out to be true as those are the matchups for the semifinals in September.

Funk Butter
08-08-2006, 04:38 PM
So, UFC has Ultimate Fight Night next week. TV matches:

Diego Sanchez Vs. Karo Parisyan
Chris Leben Vs. Jorge Santiago
Dean Lister Vs. Yuki Sasaki
Josh Koscheck Vs. Jonathan Goulet

UFC 62 has:

Chuck Liddell Vs. Renato Sobral
Forrest Griffin Vs. Stephan Bonnar
Thiago Alves Vs. Josh Neer
Wes Combs Vs. Wilson Gouveia
Cory Walmsley Vs. David Heath
Yushin Okami Vs. Alan Belcher
Cheick Kongo Vs. Christian Wellisch
Hermes Franca vs. Jaime Varner

There is also a rumor of Mir vs Vera to beef up this card. Will be interesting to see how the Babalu/Liddell fight goes. Looking up Sobral's fight history, he's got some interesting opponents under his belt: Fedor, Kohsaka, Tamura, Fulton, Henderson, Illoukhine and Valentijn Overeem. And that was just his time in Rings. If he can get it to the ground, Liddell might be in trouble. I'm pretty sure Sobral will avoid the high kick this time. Since that last loss to Liddell in 2002, he hasn't been in any trouble at all. (Including choking out Shogun Rua) They keep teasing a Liddell/Wanderlei fight, if Liddell wins. No idea what happens with a Sobral win. They also say that Rich Franklin will return against Anderson Silva on the same PPV as a potential Silva/Liddell match.

Also, Brock Lesnar has been training at Pat Miletich's camp for some months now and is expected to jump into MMA. Not sure if he'll be able to fight in the US or not.

The Pride show in Vegas has released ticket prices. The Press Release (http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060808/latu065.html?.v=62) Hopefully, my contact at Dream Stage can hook me up with tickets. The press release hints at Fedor, Coleman, Baroni, Barnett, Randleman and Yoshida fighting. The only 2 I feel comfortable that will be fighting on this show are Baroni and Yoshida. Coleman is returning to the US soon, either on this show or UFC 63. Not sure if Barnett will get clearance to fight in Vegas.

SexualChocolate
09-08-2006, 08:48 AM
So, UFC has Ultimate Fight Night next week. TV matches:

Diego Sanchez Vs. Karo Parisyan
Chris Leben Vs. Jorge Santiago
Dean Lister Vs. Yuki Sasaki
Josh Koscheck Vs. Jonathan Goulet

UFC 62 has:

Chuck Liddell Vs. Renato Sobral
Forrest Griffin Vs. Stephan Bonnar
Thiago Alves Vs. Josh Neer
Wes Combs Vs. Wilson Gouveia
Cory Walmsley Vs. David Heath
Yushin Okami Vs. Alan Belcher
Cheick Kongo Vs. Christian Wellisch
Hermes Franca vs. Jaime Varner

There is also a rumor of Mir vs Vera to beef up this card. Will be interesting to see how the Babalu/Liddell fight goes. Looking up Sobral's fight history, he's got some interesting opponents under his belt: Fedor, Kohsaka, Tamura, Fulton, Henderson, Illoukhine and Valentijn Overeem. And that was just his time in Rings. If he can get it to the ground, Liddell might be in trouble. I'm pretty sure Sobral will avoid the high kick this time. Since that last loss to Liddell in 2002, he hasn't been in any trouble at all. (Including choking out Shogun Rua) They keep teasing a Liddell/Wanderlei fight, if Liddell wins. No idea what happens with a Sobral win. They also say that Rich Franklin will return against Anderson Silva on the same PPV as a potential Silva/Liddell match.

Also, Brock Lesnar has been training at Pat Miletich's camp for some months now and is expected to jump into MMA. Not sure if he'll be able to fight in the US or not.

The Pride show in Vegas has released ticket prices. The Press Release (http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060808/latu065.html?.v=62) Hopefully, my contact at Dream Stage can hook me up with tickets. The press release hints at Fedor, Coleman, Baroni, Barnett, Randleman and Yoshida fighting. The only 2 I feel comfortable that will be fighting on this show are Baroni and Yoshida. Coleman is returning to the US soon, either on this show or UFC 63. Not sure if Barnett will get clearance to fight in Vegas.

Baroni's still fighting? Quality! I love watching the New York Bad Ass fight! I'd love to see him fight Matt 'The Law' Lindland again, they had some proper wars.

I think Chuck will easily overwhelm Babalu. He's got the best sprawl in the game. He avoided the great Randy Couture's takedown shots, so Babalu will really struggle to get Chuck to the floor.

IMO the Ultimate Fight Night has the more interesting fights. Sanchez faces his toughest fight yet with Parisyan, in a fight i think could go either way. Dean Lister vs Yuki Sasaki will be another tough fight, with both fighters being ground experts it'll just be down to who's most up for it on the day.

I hope the add Mir vs Vera to the UFC 63 fight card, cos other than the main event and Griffin vs Liddell, i don't have a huge amount of interest in any of the other fighters. The only downside is the fact that Frank Mir is a million miles away from the level of fitness required to compete at a decent level, meaning that Brandon Vera could get yet another big scalp, without a huge amount of effort. It's a shame about whats happened to Mir. He was great to watch before the bike accident, but looks a shadow of his former self since.

So, FB. What are your predictions for the fights? Shall we all predict:

1. The winner
2. What round they'll win in
3. How they'll finish the fight

What do ya reckon? :D

SexualChocolate
10-08-2006, 10:44 AM
George St Pierre vs Matt Hughes! Finally, fighting Sept 23rd!!! COME ON GSP!!!!!!!!:lux: :lux: :lux: :lux:

Funk Butter
10-08-2006, 03:08 PM
George St Pierre vs Matt Hughes! Finally, fighting Sept 23rd!!! COME ON GSP!!!!!!!!:lux: :lux: :lux: :lux:
That was GSP's prize for beating BJ Penn. That is a really tough matchup for him. He's got great standup and ground skills, but Hughes' wrestling is really other-worldly. I mentioned that Brock Lesnar is training with Miletich, the reports are that Hughes is reguarly submitting him. Doesn't bode well for St Pierre.

SexualChocolate
10-08-2006, 03:12 PM
That was GSP's prize for beating BJ Penn. That is a really tough matchup for him. He's got great standup and ground skills, but Hughes' wrestling is really other-worldly. I mentioned that Brock Lesnar is training with Miletich, the reports are that Hughes is reguarly submitting him. Doesn't bode well for St Pierre.

GSP is the most complete MMA fighter in the world at present imo. Hughes is the stronger wrestler, but i think GSP has the edge on him in every other aspect. I think GSP has improved dramatically wince their last fight whereas Matt Hughes has stayed pretty much the same. It was only a millisecond of hesitation from Rush that gave Hughes the opportunity for an armbar, other than that they were fairly equal. I go for GSP all the way this time round.

But, then again, he is my favourite fighter, so i'm probably biased. ;)

Funk Butter
10-08-2006, 07:17 PM
GSP is the most complete MMA fighter in the world at present imo. Hughes is the stronger wrestler, but i think GSP has the edge on him in every other aspect. I think GSP has improved dramatically wince their last fight whereas Matt Hughes has stayed pretty much the same. It was only a millisecond of hesitation from Rush that gave Hughes the opportunity for an armbar, other than that they were fairly equal. I go for GSP all the way this time round.

But, then again, he is my favourite fighter, so i'm probably biased. ;)
I'll lean towards Hughes at the moment due to his retard-like strength for somebody at 170.

SexualChocolate
11-08-2006, 09:30 AM
I'll lean towards Hughes at the moment due to his retard-like strength for somebody at 170. :D

SexualChocolate
25-08-2006, 02:03 PM
Has anyone seen TUF 4? The show with the old UFC fighters in it? There's a pretty good line-up, with a few of my preferred fighters in there, like Chris 'Lights Out' Lyttle and Matt 'The Terror' Serra.

Funk Butter
25-08-2006, 02:58 PM
Has anyone seen TUF 4? The show with the old UFC fighters in it? There's a pretty good line-up, with a few of my preferred fighters in there, like Chris 'Lights Out' Lyttle and Matt 'The Terror' Serra.
I saw the first week but missed last night, gotta catch the replay.

BTW, your boy GSP is out of the match with Hughes with a pulled groin muscle. BJ Penn will step in for the fight instead at UFC 63.

SexualChocolate
25-08-2006, 03:31 PM
I saw the first week but missed last night, gotta catch the replay.

BTW, your boy GSP is out of the match with Hughes with a pulled groin muscle. BJ Penn will step in for the fight instead at UFC 63.

You're kidding?? :sob: No way does BJ deserve that! GSP is so unlucky, he's deserved the title shot for the past year. What a f*cker. :veryangry

Funk Butter
25-08-2006, 03:52 PM
You're kidding?? :sob: No way does BJ deserve that! GSP is so unlucky, he's deserved the title shot for the past year. What a f*cker. :veryangry
Actually Karo Parysian deserves it too, since he was scheduled to fight Hughes for the title last year before getting hurt. That's when Hughes blew thru Riggs. I think 170lb it really stacked right now. You have Hughes, GSP, Penn, Karo, Sanchez all with legitimate games.

SexualChocolate
25-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Actually Karo Parysian deserves it too, since he was scheduled to fight Hughes for the title last year before getting hurt. That's when Hughes blew thru Riggs. I think 170lb it really stacked right now. You have Hughes, GSP, Penn, Karo, Sanchez all with legitimate games.

You think Diego is up there with the best of them do you? I still think he's a little way off the rest. Give him a year or two, then maybe. I do agree with Parysian though, i think Hughes & GSP have the edge, closely followed by Penn & Karo. It's definitely the most exciting weight class at the mo. This time last year, i would've said the Light Heavyweight division was up there, but i can't really see past Chuck in the UFC at present.

I'm so p1ssed off for GSP now!!

Funk Butter
25-08-2006, 04:10 PM
You think Diego is up there with the best of them do you? I still think he's a little way off the rest. Give him a year or two, then maybe. I do agree with Parysian though, i think Hughes & GSP have the edge, closely followed by Penn & Karo. It's definitely the most exciting weight class at the mo. This time last year, i would've said the Light Heavyweight division was up there, but i can't really see past Chuck in the UFC at present.

I'm so p1ssed off for GSP now!!
That thrashing that Diego laid on Karo was something. Even knocked his tooth clean out. He has fantastic grappling and submissions and good ground defense. He needs more stand-up work. He might be in trouble against Hughes' world class wrestling, but so does everybody else.

SexualChocolate
29-08-2006, 08:50 AM
That thrashing that Diego laid on Karo was something. Even knocked his tooth clean out. He has fantastic grappling and submissions and good ground defense. He needs more stand-up work. He might be in trouble against Hughes' world class wrestling, but so does everybody else.

I thought it was Diaz who knocked out Karo's tooth? I didn't realise Diego had fought him, that hasn't been shown over here yet.

Did you see UFC62? What a show! Forrest looks infinitely better. You can see the benefit he's had of working with Randy Coutoure. I liked the look of Cheick Kongo as well. He's got the the speed and agility of Andre Arlowski, but the power of Cabbage/Sylvia. He looks pretty exciting, but then again, its not difficult to look exciting in the heavyweight division of the UFC is it?!

Halftime Gold
29-08-2006, 12:01 PM
I thought it was Diaz who knocked out Karo's tooth? I didn't realise Diego had fought him, that hasn't been shown over here yet.

Did you see UFC62? What a show! Forrest looks infinitely better. You can see the benefit he's had of working with Randy Coutoure. I liked the look of Cheick Kongo as well. He's got the the speed and agility of Andre Arlowski, but the power of Cabbage/Sylvia. He looks pretty exciting, but then again, its not difficult to look exciting in the heavyweight division of the UFC is it?!

The undercard matchs were more interesting than I was expecting(I.E very little) but the main events were IMHO disapointing. Griffon/Bonnar wasnt really competitive and Babalu taking lessons from Arlovski in rushing in and getting TKOed in under 2 mins wasnt very impressive.

The full card for Final Conflict on the 10th of september...

OWGP SEMI- Mirko Filipovic vs. Wanderlei Silva
OWGP SEMI- Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Josh Barnett
OWGP RESERVE BOUT- Sergey Kharitonov vs. Aleksander Emelianenko
Alistair Overeem vs. Ricardo Arona
Mauricio Rua vs. Cyrile Diabate
Kazuhiro Nakamura vs. Yoshihiro Nakao
Evangelista Santos vs. Yosuke Nishijima

SexualChocolate
29-08-2006, 12:03 PM
The full card for Final Conflict on the 10th of september...

OWGP SEMI- Mirko Filipovic vs. Wanderlei Silva
OWGP SEMI- Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Josh Barnett
OWGP RESERVE BOUT- Sergey Kharitonov vs. Aleksander Emelianenko
Alistair Overeem vs. Ricardo Arona
Mauricio Rua vs. Cyrile Diabate
Kazuhiro Nakamura vs. Yoshihiro Nakao
Evangelista Santos vs. Yosuke Nishijima

Is this being shown anywhere?

Daddy Long
05-09-2006, 08:10 AM
I've been watching the Ultimate Fighter 4. Its a good idea and given that all but one of the participants have never been offered a title shot means that we get some fresh blood so to speak challenging at the top for a change.

I am a relative newcomer to MMA but have seen some old fights involving Josh Barnett in the UFC. They should try and get him back - he would shake up the heavyweight division a bit.

Halftime Gold
06-09-2006, 09:59 AM
I am a relative newcomer to MMA but have seen some old fights involving Josh Barnett in the UFC. They should try and get him back - he would shake up the heavyweight division a bit.

He failed a drugs test a few months after winning the UFC HW title and had his license to fight in the US revoked. I'd guess he could now return but fighting in Pride probabley earns him alot more cash than the UFC are prepaired to offer him.

BringBackSasa
07-09-2006, 12:07 PM
I can't see Barnett returning to the UFC, not while the money & HW competition is still with Pride. And whilst on the subject of 'roids, Stephan Bonnar failed a test after the Griffin fight.

Daddy Long
07-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Didn't do him much good did they?

Daddy Long
07-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Anyone going to Cage Rage at the end of September?

Funk Butter
07-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Anyone going to Cage Rage at the end of September?
Nope, but supposedly I have VIP tickets for the PRIDE show in Las Vegas. My buddy at Dream Stage said she got me the tickets, but I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch.

eddieskyclad
10-09-2006, 12:11 PM
I can't see Barnett returning to the UFC, not while the money & HW competition is still with Pride. UFC are offering a percentage of the PPV revenue to their top fighters now so the big names are earning a very pretty penny. Shamrock and Ortiz for example on top of their $250,000 basic are believed to have both recieved around $2,000,000 as their cut of PPV. However without having any ideas on what Pride guys are getting paid I bet it's nowhere near that level (although I guess it's fair to say that Barnett wouldn't get anywhere close to that figure for a percentage as he wouldn't have the name to sell 775,000 buys like Shamrock vs Ortiz did).

Lets not also forget the problems Pride are having right now and how if things don't improve they will have to signifcantly cut back on expenditure even further than they have done already.

Anyways - the results from Pride are in...

EDIT: even though I've changed the colour to make the mre difficult to see you can still see them so please avoid if you don't want it to be spoilt.

CroCop beat Silva via KO in Round 1
Barnet beat Nog on a split decision
CroCop beat Barnett via tap out (strikes) in Round 1

Halftime Gold
10-09-2006, 01:51 PM
[B]UFC are offering a percentage of the PPV revenue to their top fighters now so the big names are earning a very pretty penny. Shamrock and Ortiz for example on top of their $250,000 basic are believed to have both recieved around $2,000,000 as their cut of PPV. However without having any ideas on what Pride guys are getting paid I bet it's nowhere near that level (although I guess it's fair to say that Barnett wouldn't get anywhere close to that figure for a percentage as he wouldn't have the name to sell 775,000 buys like Shamrock vs Ortiz did).

Lets not also forget the problems Pride are having right now and how if things don't improve they will have to signifcantly cut back on expenditure even further than they have done already.

Yoshida/Ogawa from last years NYE show was pretty similar to that I believe in terms of payoff. As you say though the problem is Barnett isnt a big name for US audiences and the UFC pay scale goes down drastically for everyone else.

Barcaeagle
10-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Hi all ... just a bit of info . I´ve just started training in SHOOT defence here in Spain, based upon Vale Tudo.

Gr8 people and some absolute beasts here , they compete alot overseas, and in UKand recently in Japan.

Have you seen anyone from SHOOT in any recent UFC or PRIDE bouts ?? Are they any good ??

Barcaeagle
10-09-2006, 02:09 PM
Julián González Cañada
S.h.o.o.t. Spain
Spain
Is one guy ... un beaten I thinlk

Funk Butter
11-09-2006, 04:43 AM
I've never seen any Spanish guys fight, I don't think. From what I understand, there is a pretty extensive European fight scene, but it seems they rarely go into the American or Japanese scense.

As far as paying fighters, there's no comparison, Pride way outdoes UFC. http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=2373&zoneid=1 I know that Fedor and Yoshida make near $1M per fight. Noguiera, Crocop and Silva go around a half mil. I talked to someone at Dream Stage who seemed to think that even a fighter like Josh Thompson was making around $50k for his fight vs Fujita. That seems a little extreme, but maybe not.

eddieskyclad
11-09-2006, 08:06 AM
Interestingly enough there was an article by Dave Meltzer in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter this week that I hadn't read when I posted my bit about pay.

Yes Yoshida/Ogawa got massive pay for their NYE event but that was all money fronted by the television network and for regular events the top guys in Japan don't get near those figures and in reality the top guys in Japan don't come close to the guys who fight in the top 2 fights on a UFC PPV do. Of course that's all because of the PPV revenue clauses that the fighters have (which barely gets a mention in the article that was posted) and other assorted bonuses.

Of course guys lower down on the card don't make as much money but then they're not selling PPV's.

Halftime Gold
11-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Interestingly enough there was an article by Dave Meltzer in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter this week that I hadn't read when I posted my bit about pay.

Yes Yoshida/Ogawa got massive pay for their NYE event but that was all money fronted by the television network and for regular events the top guys in Japan don't get near those figures and in reality the top guys in Japan don't come close to the guys who fight in the top 2 fights on a UFC PPV do. Of course that's all because of the PPV revenue clauses that the fighters have (which barely gets a mention in the article that was posted) and other assorted bonuses.

I'd guess that most of what the top guys in Japan make actually comes ontop of their fight salary, MMA is so much more mainstream that the potential for endorsements/advertising must be far greater than in the US.

Of course guys lower down on the card don't make as much money but then they're not selling PPV's.

The problem is that pretty much noone in Japan right now has the potential to leap straight to the top of the card given Pride's limated and K1's almost nonextistant exposure in the US. Silva seems the most likely because of the possibility of a Liddell match but someone like Barnett would likely have to take a large wage cut to start at the bottom of the ladder. Theres also the possibility theres bad blood between him and the UFC due to the failed drugs test plus of course he wouldnt get to play at being the fist of the north star in the US. ;)

eddieskyclad
11-09-2006, 11:57 AM
I'd guess that most of what the top guys in Japan make actually comes ontop of their fight salary, MMA is so much more mainstream that the potential for endorsements/advertising must be far greater than in the US. You're right of course but Chuck's deal with Xyience was reported at 7 figures so there's a big opportunity for guys in the US to make a fair whack external to fighting too.

Everyone seems to have jumped on the UFC pay thing and at least according to Meltzer (and Dana White in a recent interview with Meltzer) seem to suggest otherwise. Obviously White has reason to spin things positively in the UFC's favour but I wouldn't think he'd flat out lie about things. Yes the downside guarantees are relatively low, yes the win bonuses aren't much better but if you're selling PPV's or putting bums on seats then you're financial package will reflect this. Case in point Forrest Griffin, his contract for winning TUF mean he's currently on 16k for a fight with 16k extra for winning. Considering his place on the card, the ratings he gets and the buyrates he draws. that's a ridiculously low figure. But for his fight with Ortiz he was cut into the PPV revenue and made close to 7 figures. Which is bigger than the entire TUF Contract was worth in the first place.

But anyways enough about pay.

The question is will Pride be able to survive and prosper like they had in the past and if not what then for their top guys?

Halftime Gold
11-09-2006, 03:26 PM
The question is will Pride be able to survive and prosper like they had in the past and if not what then for their top guys?

Right now as I understand it they've lost their free TV contract to show events on delay but still have PPV coverage. If there anything like a Japanese pro wrestling company the lions share of their income comes from the live gate so I guess their not in serious trouble right now but lack of coverage could have more of a long term effect.

If they were to go under I'd guess most of their top guys would be likely to stay in Japan where there likely to be much larger draws. The WFA might be interesting I spose as Crocop mentioned having had an offer from them when in dispute with Pride about his contract for Final Conflict.

eddieskyclad
11-09-2006, 03:46 PM
Well the Fuji Networkl did a lot more than simply broadcast Pride shows... I'm pretty sure they paid all production costs and put a lot of other monies into the company.

Obviously Pride have cut back big time on production (at one point they had a better looking product than any MMA/Pro-Wrestling company in the world) to offset those loses (and I imagine downsizes in payoffs will have to follow) and as a company they rely far more on quality than production values but these things do have an effect. My question is though - without regular television how do they build up personalities, how do they develop feuds and how do they sell fights on PPV?

Will be interesting to see where Pride is in 12 months time and exactly how much they do have to downsize. It's also interesting to see how much effort they actually do put in to building their reputation in Korea and North America.

Halftime Gold
11-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Well the Fuji Networkl did a lot more than simply broadcast Pride shows... I'm pretty sure they paid all production costs and put a lot of other monies into the company.

Obviously Pride have cut back big time on production (at one point they had a better looking product than any MMA/Pro-Wrestling company in the world) to offset those loses (and I imagine downsizes in payoffs will have to follow) and as a company they rely far more on quality than production values but these things do have an effect. My question is though - without regular television how do they build up personalities, how do they develop feuds and how do they sell fights on PPV?

Will be interesting to see where Pride is in 12 months time and exactly how much they do have to downsize. It's also interesting to see how much effort they actually do put in to building their reputation in Korea and North America.

It does look like their putting alot of effort into the US show next month with Fedor fighting Coleman for the title and many of the bigger stars appearing(although I'd guess that post GP some of them are going to be struggling to make it). Plus theres the whole business with Tyson supposidly signing for them, I'v heard just about everything rumoured for that from Tyson/Crocop under K1 rules in Vegas to Tyson/Sapp in an exhibition boxing match at the new years eve show to get back free TV coverage.

Can we talk about the GP finals now or are people still looking to keep spoiler free?

Funk Butter
11-09-2006, 06:39 PM
There is no way, NO WAY, Griffin got anywhere near $1m for his fight with Ortiz, even if he got any type of PPV bonus. No way. And as far as why would Dana White lie? At heart, he's still a fight promoter. That's a good enough reason.

Halftime Gold
18-09-2006, 09:27 AM
With the Pride US show coming up featuring neither what are peoples feelings on the old elbows vs stomps/soccer kicks/knee's debate?

eddieskyclad
18-09-2006, 09:17 PM
There is no way, NO WAY, Griffin got anywhere near $1m for his fight with Ortiz, even if he got any type of PPV bonus. No way. A seven figure pay-off is probably too high and I feel I may have misquoted Meltzer on that one (though I'm too lazy to double check tonight and I know for sure Ortiz topped seven figures comfortably) but it definately will not be as far off as you think. In last weeks WON Meltzer mentioned that Griffin's PPV bonus for UFC 62 is expected to be between $300,000 and $550,000 (dependant on the final buyrate) where he faced Stephan Bonnar which was clearly the number two fight on the show. So for sure it's a long way off $1,000,000 but Ortiz vs Griffin was the bout that sold UFC 59 and the contracts apparently reflected this (although obviously more so Ortiz than Griffin).

And yes promoters lie. But to make such a flat out lie by claiming you've created millionaires when you're really only paying them 18k per fight is beyond ridiculous. A little bit of positive spin is one thing but generally regarding pay when a promoter says something it's in the ballpark (otherwise why say it at all). And looking at the lifestyles of the guys in question (Rich Franklin for example who is still on the $18k to show plus an $18k win bonus) and the fact they can buy hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of real estate outright you do have to wonder how they'd be able to do that without the substantial PPV pay-offs that rarely get mentioned...

EDIT: Perhaps I'm paying too much respect to Dave Meltzer (which I often get accused of in the wrestling thread) but he does know his onions and while he's obviously Pro-Wrestling focused he breaks a scary amount of MMA news too and seems to have unparalled inside knowlegde on the inner workings of UFC.

Daddy Long
19-09-2006, 08:07 AM
Ultimate Fighter The Comeback is still pretty good viewing and the cream is clearly rising to the top. The Semi Finals should be much closer fights

eddieskyclad
24-09-2006, 12:19 AM
Well Ortiz has officially signed on for the Liddell fight in December... the only question left is will they manage to top 1,000,000 buys?

Daddy Long
26-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Basically, if Penn had better conditioning he would have beaten Hughes. But he doesn't and so he didn't.

SexualChocolate
26-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Basically, if Penn had better conditioning he would have beaten Hughes. But he doesn't and so he didn't.

F*ck BJ, f*ck him up his b1tch a$$! Hughes won fair and square, now GSP can take the crown off the real champ, rather than that chump BJ!

Gabor The King
26-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Is it me or are Penn and Hughes not at 1-1, should there not be a decider? If Penn can get his conditioning up, would make for 5 rounds much like the pace of the first 2!!

Halftime Gold
26-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Penn supposidly seperated a rib in round 2, does sound like the old "I was injuried/ill" excuse I know but his decline in the following round was so massive I'm inclined to believe it.

Hughes won fair and square but beyond showing exellent condictioning didnt impress me greatly. It certainly prooved Penn's first win was far from a fluke IMHO considering Hughes was in almost exactly the same situation only to be saved by the bell this time.

Daddy Long
26-09-2006, 12:48 PM
True. Nullify his take downs and he doesn't have a lot else. However, he is by far the best at what he does.

eddieskyclad
27-09-2006, 02:00 AM
I'm catching up on my MMA History, in much the same way as I did when I rediscovered pro-wrestling... my first task is to watch the old UFC tapes in chronological order. After I've caught up with UFC *****il somewhere around early 2004) I think I'll try and track down some old Japanese stuff and then move onto the full Pride back catalogue.

Anyways I'm currently halfway through UFC 10 and just wanted to comment on the classic that is Severn vs Shamrock II that headlined UFC 9. The first 20 minutes was stunning and I'm amazed at just how action packed it was... if ever there is a fight to persuade someone that MMA really is entertainment then that's the one :p

BringBackSasa
27-09-2006, 02:39 AM
Anyways I'm currently halfway through UFC 10 and just wanted to comment on the classic that is Severn vs Shamrock II that headlined UFC 9. The first 20 minutes was stunning and I'm amazed at just how action packed it was... if ever there is a fight to persuade someone that MMA really is entertainment then that's the one :p

Severn vs Kimo was even worse. Seriously.

I'm not sure I buy Penn's rib excuse. His reason for not telling his corner is a bit weak. I thinked he just gassed like he did in the GSP fight. It's a shame, because he was schooling Hughes like everyone hoped he would.

Best UFC title fight for ages though.

BTW, most of the Pride OWGP fights are on youtube, if any of you haven't seen them.

AJ's right boot
27-09-2006, 04:09 AM

bunghole
27-09-2006, 04:11 AM

AJ's right boot
27-09-2006, 04:12 AM
hey!

bunghole
27-09-2006, 04:13 AM
:o

AJ's right boot
27-09-2006, 04:15 AM
Sup! :hi:

bunghole
27-09-2006, 04:19 AM
Nowt, just bored at work.

Anyhoo, don't want to hijack a thread I'd prevously never posted on so - as you were lads. :p

AJ's right boot
27-09-2006, 04:20 AM
Me too, hense me trying to get my name on the front page for everysection! :D

bunghole
27-09-2006, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by AJ's right boot
Me too, hense me trying to get my name on the front page for everysection! :D

Were you? ;) :D

eddieskyclad
01-10-2006, 10:55 PM
And ever so slightly back on topic...

Has anyone ever seen No Hold's Barred MMA Simulator (http://www.nhb-sim.tk/)?

I don't know exactly what I'll ever do with it but it seems interesting enough...

eddieskyclad
14-10-2006, 12:51 PM
More on the PPV bonus' that UFC guys get.

The guys with the top billing apparently get $2.50 per PPV buy, which if taken literally based on a buyrate of 775,000 means Shamrock and Ortiz both recieved $1,937,500 for headlining UFC 61. Other guys who are cut into the PPV revenue (some of the TUF guys and other guys who aren't yet headlining) recieve $1.00 per PPV buy.

Funk Butter
14-10-2006, 01:55 PM
Apparently got my tickets for next week's Vegas show. My buddy said that she tried to get me the VIP but I got bumped by some real VIPs. We'll see about that. At least the tickets were free. Here's the card as it stands right now:

Phil Baroni vs. Yousuke Nishijima
Kazahiro Nakamura vs. Marvin Eastman
Robbie Lawler vs. Joey Villasenor
Josh Barnett vs. Pawel Nastula
Eric Esch vs. Mark Hunt
Dan Henderson vs. Vitor Belfort
Mauricio Rua vs. Kevin Randleman
Fedor Emelianenko vs. Mark Coleman

I've also seen rumored a Fujita vs Sean O'Haire fight, but I'm not sure if that makes it.

Daddy Long
17-10-2006, 10:37 AM
Watched Rich Franklin get absolutely humped by Anderson Silva at the weekend. Total domination.

Was disappointed to see Cheik Congo lose a decision to an average wrestler who did very little from dominant positions on the ground. Hopefully we will see more of him in the UFC.

Funk Butter
17-10-2006, 01:58 PM
Watched Rich Franklin get absolutely humped by Anderson Silva at the weekend. Total domination.

Was disappointed to see Cheik Congo lose a decision to an average wrestler who did very little from dominant positions on the ground. Hopefully we will see more of him in the UFC.
Unfortunately, good wrestlers with crappy everything else can be very successful in UFC, because of the dumb boxing judges they employ from the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Until they stop rewarding people who take the opponent down and just lay on top of them to get the victory, they'll have incredibly boring fights featuring Rashad Evans or Matt Hammil.

Daddy Long
17-10-2006, 04:01 PM
The referees need to more consistent over how long they let the ground game go on before they stand the fighters up again. Someone like Matt Hughes always looks pretty busy on the ground whereas others do very little and are allowed to stay in the same position for minutes at a time. Its boring. Its not good for the spectators

GJN
20-10-2006, 10:54 PM
There in a nutshell is the reason why I sit in my chair a little perplexed; I see a guy laying on top of another and not doing anything. I know it's real, but it feels surreal when there's so little work rate by the mate only fighters.

Anyway, that was an opinion of a newcomer to UFC ;)

Icy
23-10-2006, 03:03 PM
With the Pride US show coming up featuring neither what are peoples feelings on the old elbows vs stomps/soccer kicks/knee's debate?

They should all be allowed (possibly bar the soccer kicks to the head of downed opponents)

:p

Funk Butter
23-10-2006, 08:03 PM
Just got back from Vegas. Show was pretty good. They brought pretty much the same production levels to this show as those in Japan. Fights were generally one-sided, except for the Barnett-Natsula fight. Sat inbetween guys from Team Quest and a guy who trained Butterbean and O'Haire, as well as numerous other West Coast fighters.. He didn't want to take credit for anything in that fight. They announced Pride was coming back to Vegas on Feb 24th, so I'm already starting to get my plans in place.

eddieskyclad
26-10-2006, 11:19 PM
Two drug test failures at Pride show

Out of the eight fighters tested randomly after Pride's show on Saturday night in Las Vegas, two tested positive for banned substances.

Vitor Belfort tested postive for 4-hyroxytestosterone, while Pawel Nastula tested postiive for Decadurabolin, both anabolic steroids.

Both would have to attend a hearing in Nevada and based on previous cases, would likely be suspended for several months. The key is the suspensions would have to be recognized world wide by Pride, or Pride would lose its license to promote in Nevada.

Funk Butter
27-10-2006, 01:09 AM
Two drug test failures at Pride show

Out of the eight fighters tested randomly after Pride's show on Saturday night in Las Vegas, two tested positive for banned substances.

Vitor Belfort tested postive for 4-hyroxytestosterone, while Pawel Nastula tested postiive for Decadurabolin, both anabolic steroids.

Both would have to attend a hearing in Nevada and based on previous cases, would likely be suspended for several months. The key is the suspensions would have to be recognized world wide by Pride, or Pride would lose its license to promote in Nevada.
I don't think Pride will mind dropping a bored-looking Belfort and Natsula.

Daddy Long
06-11-2006, 02:16 PM
UFC4 finals next weekend - looking forward to it, as well as the debut of Mike Bisping.

Funk Butter
06-11-2006, 04:32 PM
UFC4 finals next weekend - looking forward to it, as well as the debut of Mike Bisping.
I actually like Cote over Lutters and Lytle over Serra. Serrra needs to get back down to 155, no way he can compete at 170. Lots of guys seem to be fighting at the wrong weight on this show. Din Thomas could really make some waves if he could get down to 155, not sure he could though.

Daddy Long
06-11-2006, 04:37 PM
I agree that Serra needs to go down a weight. I think Lytle should have too much power for him and be able to resist the take down easily enough. Serra is easily rocked by a good punch at this level - saw that in his rematch with Shonie Carter.

I'm not sure about Kote. It again depends on whether he can resist the take down and Lutter is much much better at it than De Wees. A battle on the floor favours Lutter, if he doesn't blow himself out in the first couple of rounds.

BringBackSasa
06-11-2006, 04:45 PM
I'm picking Lutter & Lytle. But whoever wins will get murdered in their respective title shots.

Daddy Long
06-11-2006, 05:04 PM
I'm picking Lutter & Lytle. But whoever wins will get murdered in their respective title shots.

Matt Hughes/ GSP and Anderson Silva? Yup, I make you right. Its good that they get a chance to get their faces caved in though. At least they can say they were there (assuming they keep all their teeth/ don't require jaw reconstruction etc)

Funk Butter
06-11-2006, 05:35 PM
I agree that Serra needs to go down a weight. I think Lytle should have too much power for him and be able to resist the take down easily enough. Serra is easily rocked by a good punch at this level - saw that in his rematch with Shonie Carter.

I'm not sure about Kote. It again depends on whether he can resist the take down and Lutter is much much better at it than De Wees. A battle on the floor favours Lutter, if he doesn't blow himself out in the first couple of rounds.
I think GSP will have Kote ready. Lutter might have dominated Sell, but he really didn't do anything in that fight. Other than taking Sell down in the first 10 seconds and staying on top of him the whole round.

Which brings me to the crap that UFC forces us to deal with. Big John sits there telling them to get some action going or he's gonna stand them up. But not only doesn't he stand them back up, he lets them sit there for 3 more minutes. UFC desperately needs to tell those refs to get inactive fighters back on their feet or there's gonna be a fan revolt when there's nothing but wrestlers fighting.

Kote is stronger than Sell and has a much quirkier style which might give Lutters some trouble. As somebody said, he better get that stamina up or Kote will just wait him out, then pound. And I think Bam Bam would benefit from moving down to 170, but I don't know if he can. One thing you can expect is these guys littered throughout the next few shows to see if they can get any traction in the UFC.

Funk Butter
06-11-2006, 11:30 PM
Apparently, Bisping is off this weekend's UFC show. It seems there's been some problems with his visa, so he won't be allowed in the country. Hard to believe that the UFC would bung up his debut, but it looks like they might have.

Daddy Long
07-11-2006, 10:13 AM
That is disappointing - I was looking forward to seeing him in action.

Daddy Long
07-11-2006, 10:16 AM
BTW, I agree about the refereeing in UFC. I think I may have had a mini rant about it earlier in this thread somewhere.

I understand if its a jujitsu guy on the ground and he's trying to manoevre for a submission - in many ways that is better viewing than a knock out. However, when a wrestler is laying on top and can't get his elbows off, then the fight should be stood up immediately. It kills any spectator enjoyment. If the wrestler is busy on the floor then no complaints.

Halftime Gold
12-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Which brings me to the crap that UFC forces us to deal with. Big John sits there telling them to get some action going or he's gonna stand them up. But not only doesn't he stand them back up, he lets them sit there for 3 more minutes. UFC desperately needs to tell those refs to get inactive fighters back on their feet or there's gonna be a fan revolt when there's nothing but wrestlers fighting.

What compounds the problem is that such stalling carrys far too much weight with the judges. If its not being used to get into potential fight ending positions then ground control/takedowns should IMHO count for very little on the scorecards.

redandblue
12-11-2006, 05:25 PM
I went to watch one of my mates (mates is probably a bit strong he close mates with one of my best mates) fight in Cage Rage contender last night in Peterbourgh, it was great. His name is Lee Elliot and depsite looking troubled in the first round once they went to floor in the 2nd he got his choke on and won in the 2nd great fight.

It was a super night though I dont think I have ever been in a place with so many hard horrible blokes in one room, luckily a lot of them were supporting Lee !

There was a lightweight fight that was super one of the guys had never fought before and only fought as somone had not turned up so only had 2 hours notice. It went three and despite being felled twice with kicks he fought on and won with an arm ba fantastic stuff.

Daddy Long
14-11-2006, 09:20 AM
Serra beat Lytle in a shocking decision. Shows that UFC judges place more weight on leaning on a guy than throwing punches. Awful awful decision - no wonder the crowd booed. Serra is too small at 170 and will get destroyed by GSP or Hughes.

Easy win for Lutter. Could be an interesting fight if he can get Silva to the ground.

Funk Butter
14-11-2006, 02:48 PM
Serra beat Lytle in a shocking decision. Shows that UFC judges place more weight on leaning on a guy than throwing punches. Awful awful decision - no wonder the crowd booed. Serra is too small at 170 and will get destroyed by GSP or Hughes.

Easy win for Lutter. Could be an interesting fight if he can get Silva to the ground.
I actually gave that fight to Serra 29-28. Lytle was way too passive, he really did nothing. He had one takedown the whole fight and a bunch of pittypat punches to the ribs. He basically fought the whole fight as if he would get points for not being taken down. It was a boring fight to be sure, but I'm not sure how either fighter could be upset with the decision. Serra did nothing, because Lytle just countered everything he tried and did nothing himself. If it was up to me, I would have called the match a draw and not given either of them a shot at the title or the money.

The best part of the show was the undercard. Din Thomas looked really good and moving down to 155, he instantly is in the title picture. If they're right about BJ Penn moving down there too, its gonna start to get crowded at 155. (especially when Serra has to move down)

Daddy Long
14-11-2006, 02:59 PM
I actually gave that fight to Serra 29-28. Lytle was way too passive, he really did nothing. He had one takedown the whole fight and a bunch of pittypat punches to the ribs. He basically fought the whole fight as if he would get points for not being taken down. It was a boring fight to be sure, but I'm not sure how either fighter could be upset with the decision. Serra did nothing, because Lytle just countered everything he tried and did nothing himself. If it was up to me, I would have called the match a draw and not given either of them a shot at the title or the money.

The best part of the show was the undercard. Din Thomas looked really good and moving down to 155, he instantly is in the title picture. If they're right about BJ Penn moving down there too, its gonna start to get crowded at 155. (especially when Serra has to move down)

I had it 29-28 to Lytle. What shocked me was 2 judges giving it 30-27 one way and the other 30-27 the other way. Still, UFC is not the only contact sport with inconsistent judging - boxing is as bad.

Din did look good but I think its probably quite easy to look good against Rich Clemente :) You are right though, 155 may well be the division to watch in the coming months.

Can't say I'm too excited about the Tim Silva vs Snowman bout.

Funk Butter
14-11-2006, 03:42 PM
I had it 29-28 to Lytle. What shocked me was 2 judges giving it 30-27 one way and the other 30-27 the other way. Still, UFC is not the only contact sport with inconsistent judging - boxing is as bad.

Din did look good but I think its probably quite easy to look good against Rich Clemente :) You are right though, 155 may well be the division to watch in the coming months.

Can't say I'm too excited about the Tim Silva vs Snowman bout.
No, Sylvia vs Monson is not a marquee fight. Just read an article about Aleksander Emelianenko negotiating with the UFC. That would definitely spice up the division.

Halftime Gold
15-11-2006, 06:19 AM
No, Sylvia vs Monson is not a marquee fight. Just read an article about Aleksander Emelianenko negotiating with the UFC. That would definitely spice up the division.

He did just put in a very unconvincing loss to Werdum in Holland but in the UFC's standup dominated division I could see him doing very well.

eddieskyclad
15-11-2006, 03:12 PM
I had it 29-28 to Lytle. What shocked me was 2 judges giving it 30-27 one way and the other 30-27 the other way. Still, UFC is not the only contact sport with inconsistent judging - boxing is as bad. The scoring may appear odd on the surface but if you score by round even a close fight can easily end up with one judge scoring 30-27 for fighter number 1 and the other scoring 30-27 for fighter number 2.

If a round is very close then two judges can easily and rightfully give the round to different fighters and since all three rounds were fairly even it's fairly resonable for one judge to side with one fighter for all 3 rounds, while another judge gives the same score the other way.

Draw's are not easy in 3 round fights as it relies one of the judges scoring a round 10-10... there's a certain pressure put on judges to avoid scoring rounds 10-10 and to side with one of the fighters.

Had the fight been judged over the whole fight then I'm sure a draw verdict would have been given but if you look into the context of the fight and the round scoring system the decision is not as horrible as it first appears.

Halftime Gold
21-11-2006, 07:11 PM
The lineup for Prides shockwave new years eve show....

YOSHIDA HIDEHIKO
FUJITA KAZUYUKI
GOMI TAKANORI
NAKAMURA KAZUHIRO
MISAKI KAZUO
GOUNO AKIHIRO
KIKUTA SANAE
AOKI SHINYA
ISHIDA MITSUHIRO
KAWAJIRI TATSUYA
MINOWA IKUHISA
SAKURAI MACH HAYATO
MIRKO CROCOP
JOSH BARNETT
WANDERLEI SILVA
ANTONIO RODRIGO NOGUEIRA
MAURICIO SHOGUN
DAN HENDERSON
RICARDO ARONA
GILBERT MELENDEZ
DENIS KANG
JOACHIM HANSEN

I'd guess thats the most stacked card in MMA history by quite some way. Only matchup announced so far is Fedor vs Hunt, not sure if its for the title.

eddieskyclad
28-11-2006, 09:52 PM
Don't know if this is of any interest to anybody and I don't even know if they're available in the UK...
--There is a pre sale for 2/24 Pride tickets at the Thomas & Mack in Las Vegas. Right now they are available at the Thomas & Mack Center's web site and not through ticketmaster. The password is pride33.

Halftime Gold
28-11-2006, 10:24 PM
Silva vs Little Nog is heavly rumoured for that show.

Icy
29-11-2006, 10:05 AM
Any news on the rest of the lineup? Anyone know if theres anywhere it can be watched in the UK?

Also has anyone ever done this for real? Would be good to do

Halftime Gold
29-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Icy
Any news on the rest of the lineup? Anyone know if theres anywhere it can be watched in the UK?

Also has anyone ever done this for real? Would be good to do

Well the big Fedor/Crocop rematch has been pushed back from the new years show because the former isnt 100% fit but I'd guess thats more likely to be on the following show in Japan. A rematch between Josh Barnett and Big Nog has been rumoured alot aswell, would be a good way to please the crowd if its as good as the first one.

I heard that Pride were trying to get the first US show on demand on the net world wide but I was out of the coutnry at the time so didnt check if they did.

Any preidctions for Chuck vs Tito 2?

eddieskyclad
29-11-2006, 12:44 PM
Any preidctions for Chuck vs Tito 2? Does it need predictions? Surely Chuck's going to win quite convincingly...

Unless of course you mean predictions for the buy rate which call me a cynic but I dare say will be far more interesting than the match itself, here's hoping it's the first non-boxing PPV in history to top 1,000,000 in North America.

Halftime Gold
29-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Does it need predictions? Surely Chuck's going to win quite convincingly...

Unless of course you mean predictions for the buy rate which call me a cynic but I dare say will be far more interesting than the match itself, here's hoping it's the first non-boxing PPV in history to top 1,000,000 in North America.

I'd certainly have Chuck as a heavy favourite but he is 37 and hasnt been in a long fight for awhile so I'd say condictioning might offer Tito a chance if he can survive the first 2-3 rounds.

SexualChocolate
01-12-2006, 01:59 PM
I'd certainly have Chuck as a heavy favourite but he is 37 and hasnt been in a long fight for awhile so I'd say condictioning might offer Tito a chance if he can survive the first 2-3 rounds.

I think this has the potential to go the full 5. Its either gonna be the best fight ever, or its gonna top Munson vs Sylvia as the sh1ttest!

Icy
01-12-2006, 03:45 PM
Chuck in rd 1. Fedor vs Cro Cop will be the mutts nuts and top it easy.