PDA

View Full Version : 100th Away Ground

redders2000
13-01-2006, 05:44 PM
When we visit Hull for tomorrows game it will the 100th league ground that Delboy (known to man as the bloke organizing the chess comp and the greyhound syndicate and a part time lookalike for tony blackburn) has visited watching the Eagles. I believe his first away trip was as a spotty 14 year old to roots hall southend. I for one will be saying well done for this impressive record. I am sure many others would like to add their comments and hopefully delboy will add his thoughts somewhere in the thread. A truly awesome record for a true fan of the club through the bad times and the good times and well lets be the honest the bad and the bad times. He knows the motorways and pubs and clubs up and down the country.

Can anbody else match or beat this remarkable record. ?

BlazeRIP
13-01-2006, 06:14 PM
He is a true fan isn't he

Neil the Eagle
13-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Other fans' records here:

http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.php?threadid=103754

jolly
13-01-2006, 10:20 PM
I believe Robbie Tobin from the club shop has not missed a game for over 1500 games home and away !! he is also a top bloke and has been to most of the league grounds in the country to watch palace

Selhurst300
13-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Watching Palace at 100 away grounds is an incredible record.
Great achievement.

El D
13-01-2006, 11:20 PM
Well done, Delboy. I've got quite a few to go to catch up with you.

Sandowneagle
13-01-2006, 11:28 PM
A great record.

Tomorrow's my 106th away ground watching Palace (includes friendlies) and my 159th ground overall.

cantspell
14-01-2006, 06:39 AM
Amazing Delboy and Cingratulations. Don't know how you find the time.

Be good to hear Best ground, Best match, Worst ground, Worse match,etc.

Selhurst300
14-01-2006, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Sandowneagle
A great record.

Tomorrow's my 106th away ground watching Palace (includes friendlies) and my 159th ground overall.

Incredible.

delboy01
15-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by cantspell
Amazing Delboy and Cingratulations. Don't know how you find the time.

Be good to hear Best ground, Best match, Worst ground, Worse match,etc.

Firstly, congrats to Sandowneagle. I'm not worthy!!:D

Thanks to you all and redders for starting the thread even with the Tony Blackburn comment!!

Best ground for me Newcastle. Always easy to get a drink and a great view with the home fans fanatics!!

Worst ground for visiting fans - Cambridge. Being only 5ft 6" It was a pretty poor view from the terrace behind the goal. When Thomas scored I only knew it was in by the reaction of everyone else!! Also, the old Northampton ground - No food or drink for an evening game and a cricket ground to one side of the pitch!!

Best match Wrexham Away 4-2 win in 70's. It's on the the centenary DVD. We were all still celebrating the 3rd goal when th 4th went in. We had to win by two goals to have a chance of going up. With 90secs left it was 2-2. Typically we had led 2-0.

Worst match losing at home to Wimbledon (0-4 I think) when Ishmail sliced a clearance across the goal mouth straight to a wimbledon player. It was a freezing evening as well.

The Hull day out went OK but was really annoyed at the pub situation. Most had no visiting fans signs and the one we arranged to meet at was shut. With mates coming from Bristol, Barnsley ourselves from essex and my sister coming from Northampton this meant we ended up in different pubs. Still I thought at least our tickets are together. We get to the ground and they had it as sit anywhere!!!!

Finally, I was in Germany all week only getting home Friday at midnight!! How am I still married!! :D

Clapham Grand
15-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Congrats - great achievement!

salad fan club
15-01-2006, 11:47 PM
superb record delboy i'm jealous
i've only managed 50 something so i've got a long way to go!

ps i think we lost 0-5 to wimbledon

delboy01
16-01-2006, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by salad fan club
superb record delboy i'm jealous
i've only managed 50 something so i've got a long way to go!

ps i think we lost 0-5 to wimbledon

I lost count!!!:D

Away Day Eagle
16-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by delboy01

The Hull day out went OK but was really annoyed at the pub situation. Most had no visiting fans signs and the one we arranged to meet at was shut. With mates coming from Bristol, Barnsley ourselves from essex and my sister coming from Northampton this meant we ended up in different pubs. Still I thought at least our tickets are together. We get to the ground and they had it as sit anywhere!!!!
:D

We all congregated in the Hull Cheese in the City Centre, which was decent.

We took over the place.

Right opposite the Station.

Pennyfather
16-01-2006, 12:08 PM
After Hull I have now been to 96 grounds, 90 watching Palace & 6 non league grounds. This includes old grounds like the Den, Elm Park, Roker Park, Maine Road etc. Of the current 92 grounds I've been to 73.

Well done Delboy & Sandown.

3rd_Lion
16-01-2006, 12:20 PM
Ive been to 34 grounds so far and ive been watching palace since the goldberg era when I was 12 and my dad got me my first season ticket!

Esher Eagles
16-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by delboy01
I lost count!!!:D

I remember this game well. We were struggling in the Premiership (as normal), the game was live on Sky.

At the time my season ticket was in the holmsdale, as soon as we conceded the third goal (first half) which was another comedy of errors with Miller making a huge mistake, i left.

I then managed to watch the second half on Sky at home. The score did not change 3-0 to Wimbledon.

Having mentioned Miller, does anyone remember the away game at Loftus Rd when QPR needed to win to stay up ? They proceeded to bang 5 past us maybe 6.
Palace had a huge away following that day, who to a man turned on Miller for his complete inept performance. I remember a guy about two rows ahead of me throwing his pie at Miller, which hit him on the back of his head ? Anyone remember this?

delboy01
16-01-2006, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Esher Eagles
I remember this game well. We were struggling in the Premiership (as normal), the game was live on Sky.

At the time my season ticket was in the holmsdale, as soon as we conceded the third goal (first half) which was another comedy of errors with Miller making a huge mistake, i left.

I then managed to watch the second half on Sky at home. The score did not change 3-0 to Wimbledon.

Having mentioned Miller, does anyone remember the away game at Loftus Rd when QPR needed to win to stay up ? They proceeded to bang 5 past us maybe 6.
Palace had a huge away following that day, who to a man turned on Miller for his complete inept performance. I remember a guy about two rows ahead of me throwing his pie at Miller, which hit him on the back of his head ? Anyone remember this?

I was there as well. He was in dispute about bonus's at the time and his performance was worse than anything I have seen and that includes the 9-0!!!! The pie incident was excellent. Strangely the evidence was missing by the end of the game!!! :D

SHIPEAGLE
19-01-2006, 08:09 PM
I have seen Palace play COMPETITIVE matches ie League, FA or League Cup matches at 109 different grounds that is working on the basis that for example Millwall counts as two, as I have been to both the old and new Den. This also includes Wembley and Millennium.

Only wish I had made it to Man City last year

In addition have seen Palace play in "other" first team matches at a further 15 grounds including 5 on foreign soil.

So have seen Palace at a total of 124 different grounds, but can add another 2 if counting reserves.