PDA

View Full Version : AJ goading the away fans

Eaglesmad123
20-01-2006, 09:50 PM
I like AJ a lot but what he did tonight was stupid and could have turned nasty

eagles #1
20-01-2006, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Eaglesmad123
I like AJ a lot but what he did tonight was stupid and could have turned nasty The Reading fans needed/deserved a slap.

Eaglesmad123
20-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by eagles #1
The Reading fans needed/deserved a slap.

And what if it had kicked off would you still be saying that.

We are all to quick to have ago at other players who do it to us so i am hoping that people feel as annoyed as i am about it.

bonzo
20-01-2006, 09:56 PM
I FCUKING LOVE YOU AJ,
Great stuff,keep it up!!!

AJ'sLoveMonkey
20-01-2006, 09:57 PM

We are all to quick to have ago at other players who do it to us so i am hoping that people feel as annoyed as i am about it.

You dont need to feel either angry or pleased do you?! :rolleyes:

cpfclife
20-01-2006, 09:57 PM
wasnt as if he wasnt prevoked was it? i think its great when he does it, he should give it back to em!

Fatman
20-01-2006, 09:59 PM
hate to say it...but i agree with the first post...bit naughty

adrenalin john
20-01-2006, 09:59 PM
Irresponsible or not it amused me.
What a terrible turn out by the reading as well. Unbeaten for 28, top of the league, local game against a team who is a serious contender -800 fans max - pathetic.

We took 3,500 there.

David Amsalem
20-01-2006, 10:00 PM
As a professional he shouldn't have done it.

But, I would have done the same to be fair.

Great Pen AJ :p

AJ'sLoveMonkey
20-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by adrenalin john
What a terrible turn out by the reading as well. Unbeaten for 28, top of the league, local game against a team who is a serious contender -800 fans max - pathetic.

We took 3,500 there.

They are a joke

colonel
20-01-2006, 10:04 PM
What did he do?

forsells no1 fan
20-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Having watched on the box what sort of things were they chanting about him?

Strathclyde Eagle
20-01-2006, 10:05 PM
This is true.

However he does need to rise above it.

Gosling
20-01-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by colonel
What did he do?

They'd been calling him a cheat for ages so he took the piss a bit after he scored. Fair enough, I say. :)

cpfc_spc1982
20-01-2006, 10:08 PM
he knows the rules - silly in my book.

Clapham Grand
20-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Why? He stayed on the pitch saying "What?" to the Reading fans after they were chanting" Andy Johnson is shit", fair enough

bonzo
20-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by cpfc_spc1982
he knows the rules - silly in my book.

SCARFERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

RDSdaEAGLE
20-01-2006, 10:12 PM
"Andy Johnson's shit" was just waiting to be rammed back down their throats. He had every right to do it.:p

hobbes
20-01-2006, 10:19 PM
I think it was just the hype of the game and the emotion was just too much to contain!!!

Sandowneagle
What away fans - looked empty from where I was.

cpfc_spc1982
Originally posted by bonzo
SCARFERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

sure.
inciting the opposition support is a booking.
aj did this he got booked. one more yellow and hes suspended.

The Bishop
20-01-2006, 10:20 PM
He should have ignored the Reading fans' chant about him being
sh!t. He's got to rise above any stick he receives from opposition supporters and just get on with it.

patch
20-01-2006, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
"Andy Johnson's shit" was just waiting to be rammed back down their throats. He had every right to do it.:p

Have to agree with this - as soon as they started he was sure to score - and he did - keep it up away fans

forsells no1 fan
20-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Seemed silly of him on the telly but the players(hughes?) came over to celebrate with him and also made gestures! We see it often against us so we cant realy moan too much about it!

eagles #1
20-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by The Bishop
sh!t. He's got to rise above any stick he receives from opposition supporters and just get on with it. :( Football is going to get so very boring.

james1234
20-01-2006, 10:26 PM
Passion anyone?

eddieskyclad
Despite the fact there wasn't very many of them like it or not they came across loud and clear on the tv...

And how can we laugh at Reading for bringing so few fans when the home attendance was pretty poor too considering the fact that it was an important game, we were on a winning streak and they're the league leaders.

Vor
Originally posted by The Bishop
sh!t. He's got to rise above any stick he receives from opposition supporters and just get on with it.

Agree.

So should those supporters in the Lower Holmesdale who chanted at the few Reading supporters 'You're supporting sh*t'.

Yeh right.

bonzo
:( Football is going to get so very boring.

Couldn't agree more,
New rule: If a player is to score he needs to be back in his own half in 10secs Max.

david sylvian
20-01-2006, 10:27 PM
i thought they deserved it - their inane childish unjustified taunting of him, by all 13 of them, was totally unfair

what he did was silly but if they got wound up by it they're being hypocritical - if you abuse a player when he scores he's probably going to get his own back

their support was bloody woeful - in every manner - numerically, childishness and noise

The Bishop
20-01-2006, 10:28 PM
:( Football is going to get so very boring.

True. But if he celebrates in that way against fans from the likes of Millwall, Cardiff, or Stoke, then a lot of trouble could be caused. So AJ has got to be careful.

eagles #1
20-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Couldn't agree more,
New rule: If a player is to score he needs to be back in his own half in 10secs Max. And all fans must sit down with their arms folded like those steward want us too :grrr:

Gooders
20-01-2006, 10:35 PM

Agreed.

Why do all the decent teams have a bunch of complete muppets for fans? W@nkers all, from where I was standing.

Sandowneagle
20-01-2006, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by eddieskyclad

And how can we laugh at Reading for bringing so few fans when the home attendance was pretty poor too considering the fact that it was an important game, we were on a winning streak and they're the league leaders.

Bo11ox, we had over 19k home fans for a game on TV on a friday night. They couldn't even bring 800 fans to travel 40 miles in their greatest ever season. That was a joke of an away support, end of.

Chris K
20-01-2006, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Sandowneagle
Bo11ox, we had over 19k home fans for a game on TV on a friday night. They couldn't even bring 800 fans to travel 40 miles in their greatest ever season. That was a joke of an away support, end of.

Very good point.

As for AJ, well done. Ram it right back down there throats mate!

Nelson Muntz
True.
The worst away support at Palace so far this season. Considering they're top, bloody hell.

Sussex Eagle
Originally posted by eddieskyclad
Despite the fact there wasn't very many of them like it or not they came across loud and clear on the tv...

Jeez, have you ever been to Selhurst? :rolleyes: Of course they came over loud and clear on telly, they were in the fecking Arfur: a) easily the stand with the best acoustics, and b) where almost all the crowd mics are. They were making pretty average noise s'far as I could tell. Hell, if you believe the telly, Brighton outsung us in 2002! :D

Boyandy
20-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Vor
So should those supporters in the Lower Holmesdale who chanted at the few Reading supporters 'You're supporting sh*t'.

Yeh right.

Don't remember this being sung once. Plenty of `your support IS shit` though. Which if fair enough because it was.

GreatGonzo
20-01-2006, 10:43 PM

When you consider that the maximum we could have got into selhurst was 23,000 seeing as so many empty seats we due to Readings poor show - at least 2,500 empty seats in the full away section.

Vor
20-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Boyandy
Don't remember this being sung once. Plenty of `your support IS shit` though. Which if fair enough because it was.

If that is right, I apologise and sit corrected.

And yes, considering it was a Friday evening and not a difficult journey around the M25, their support was indeed sh*t

AJ'sLoveMonkey
20-01-2006, 10:49 PM

Top posting :p

Ridcully
20-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Stupid boy, ref had no choice but it was funny!!

st albans
20-01-2006, 10:52 PM
silly boy tonight and could have caused real problems

it's been getting worse now for the last few home games, leicester he did something similar and the game before that he ran past them pointing to the name on the back of the shirt

he's getting a name for himself and all away fans seem to hate him. this sort of thing doesnt help

especially when 2 mins later they equalised and it nearly kicked off

3rd_Lion
20-01-2006, 10:55 PM
Should never have done it. Not because it was stupid but because he should have known that we wouldnt be able to keep the lead.

He had egg on his face when they equalised and started chanting 'Johnson whats the score'.

bananaman
20-01-2006, 11:04 PM
i feking love you a.j.!! :lux: :love: :love:

daz_eagle
20-01-2006, 11:11 PM
it was great! just wish that's been the winner. we played well tonight.

StudentEagle
20-01-2006, 11:14 PM
Well it made me laugh.

howard
20-01-2006, 11:18 PM
What away fans - looked empty from where I was.

There were actually just over 1,000 Reading fans. Still not great for this type of game, maybe they are saving up for the prem games next season!

Chris K
20-01-2006, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by st albans

it's been getting worse now for the last few home games, leicester he did something similar and the game before that he ran past them pointing to the name on the back of the shirt

Come on st albans, its banter and what makes football what it is.

he's getting a name for himself and all away fans seem to hate him. this sort of thing doesnt help

Opposition supporters used to hate Cantona too. I would have loved him to play for Palace at his peak. I think its great that we have players that have a reputation as 90% of the time the hatred is brought on by jealousy.

I don't think it did at all, that was them celebrating. The reason it came across as it did was because there was so few of them and they had some space to run about it!! Just like so many other celebrations by teams when the score. Hell, on the goals the showed on the screen at half time you could see palace supporters doing similar.

cdm61
20-01-2006, 11:25 PM

Reading fans kick off they can't even turn up in numbers, complete s:hmph:

st albans
20-01-2006, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Chris K
Come on st albans, its banter and what makes football what it is.

not if it causes trouble. you can't defend it. same with villa away last season. it crossed the line of banter this evening for me

Twin of Droy
20-01-2006, 11:35 PM
not if it causes trouble. you can't defend it. same with villa away last season. it crossed the line of banter this evening for me
But it didn't cause trouble tonight or at Villa

st albans
20-01-2006, 11:36 PM
all it takes is one silly twat.

there was a bottle thrown at our players tonight if you didn't notice

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
20-01-2006, 11:51 PM
"oh mummy mummy AJ celebrated in the wegion of the away fans - it could have got 'nasty' I was fwightened" :sob: :sob:

Grow up you silly little boys.

For f's sake :rolleyes:

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
20-01-2006, 11:52 PM
all it takes is one silly twat.

there was a bottle thrown at our players tonight if you didn't notice Let's all shit our pants.

Harry Holmesdale
21-01-2006, 12:03 AM
I have no problem with banter whatsoever, but in this modern era I think AJ showed a lack of class

If 400 (if that) Reading fans rile him to react like that how the hell will he manage if he was to make a world cup squad, by reacting to the abuse he is encouraging it, ignoring it is the best way, I just hope this is not the first sign of AJ arrogance...

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
21-01-2006, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Harry Holmesdale
I have no problem with banter whatsoever, but in this modern era I think AJ showed a lack of class

If 400 (if that) Reading fans rile him to react like that how the hell will he manage if he was to make a world cup squad, by reacting to the abuse he is encouraging it, ignoring it is the best way, I just hope this is not the first sign of AJ arrogance... Jesus what kind of bleached germ free domestos game of football do you want to watch?

Perhaps he should have walked back up the pitch and just nodded discreetly to the bench?

It's about PASSION, and that applies to the players as well as the fans. If he gets the piss ripped out of him he is bound to celebrate back.

Christ, if the referee didn't see a problem with it and book him why are there Palace fans on here shitting their pants about it?

Pathetic.

Harry Holmesdale
21-01-2006, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels
Jesus what kind of bleached germ free domestos game of football do you want to watch?

Perhaps he should have walked back up the pitch and just nodded discreetly to the bench?

It's about PASSION, and that applies to the players as well as the fans. If he gets the piss ripped out of him he is bound to celebrate back.

Christ, if the referee didn't see a problem with it and book him why are there Palace fans on here shitting their pants about it?

Pathetic.

Passion, dont give me that old bollox, half these players have no real passion its all that sad old posturing passion, if you rip a 25 yarder into the net as a last min winner then fair enough but a penalty and then posturing in front of 400 hundred home counties numpties, naaa, not having it mate sorry

We had none of this last season despite him getting stick, if 400 (max) Reading fans can wind him up this much just think how many other fans are gonna have a field day with him

Perhaps he is getting too big for his size 8s ??

Royal Ian
21-01-2006, 12:20 AM
Passion, dont give me that old bollox, half these players have no real passion its all that sad old posturing passion, if you rip a 25 yarder into the net as a last min winner then fair enough but a penalty and then posturing in front of 400 hundred home counties numpties, naaa, not having it mate sorry

We had none of this last season despite him getting stick, if 400 (max) Reading fans can wind him up this much just think how many other fans are gonna have a field day with him

Perhaps he is getting too big for his size 8s ??

Good post, As I said on the other thread it didn't bother me too much but I hear he had bottles thrown at him when he did it? It could have turned nasty.

He's a good player but he looked as if he was lacking confidence tonight, a couple of years ago he would have scored 2 or 3 tonight but his finishing was average at best.

couldn't believe you left Morrison sat there twidling his thumbs all game!

Eaglesmad123
21-01-2006, 12:21 AM
If those fans had been cardiff then it would have been trouble.

Palace Ultra
21-01-2006, 12:27 AM
I loved it. But I think Mr Wood-Fish makes a good point well.

Harry Holmesdale
21-01-2006, 12:27 AM
Let me clarify something, I am not bothered about upsetting away fans or anything like that I am just concerned with the attitude of our top player

It seems to me like he is getting wound up by more than just away fans goading him, seems like this whole 'AJ's a diver' thing is really affecting him, he is even posting responses on his own website for gods sake

The best way, imo, of dealing with such things is to ignore it and let the football and goals do the talking, as he has done before, cut all this posturing nonsense out and keep schtum.

Royal Ian
21-01-2006, 12:30 AM
Had he beat a couple of our players and smacked one in I think it would have shut us up, the fact that he went down 'well' and scored a penalty just made it go up again.

But like I say I thought it was quite funny at the time, more so when Harps scored a minute later ;)

The Bishop
21-01-2006, 12:33 AM
Let me clarify something, I am not bothered about upsetting away fans or anything like that I am just concerned with the attitude of our top player

It seems to me like he is getting wound up by more than just away fans goading him, seems like this whole 'AJ's a diver' thing is really affecting him, he is even posting responses on his own website for gods sake

The best way, imo, of dealing with such things is to ignore it and let the football and goals do the talking, as he has done before, cut all this posturing nonsense out and keep schtum.

Exactly. He should ignore the idiots who are giving him stick, concentrate on his game, and if anything, when he scores then celebrate with his own supporters.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
21-01-2006, 12:34 AM
Err let's worry about it when something actually happens.

Someone might have been a bit miffed and flicked a peanut or something outrageous like that.

Gosh. Run home and tell Mummy, or post it on the BBS.

Yours,

Frightened of what didn't happen and never was going to happen but in theory, could happen.

Harry Holmesdale
21-01-2006, 12:36 AM

Someone might have been a bit miffed and flicked a peanut or something outrageous like that.

Gosh. Run home and tell Mummy, or post it on the BBS.

Yours,

Frightened of what didn't happen and never was going to happen but in theory, could happen.

Never said that I was concerned about any of that mate

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
21-01-2006, 12:36 AM
I heard that at one point 'Hughesy' let a rather smelly egg go as he jumped for a header.

Could have been nasty.

What if a Reading player had smelled it and got annoyed and got a gun and fired it into the crowd and a young mum was standing there with a baby and it got hit and died?

That would have been terrible.

We need to clamp down on eggy farts on the pitch as well as celebrating goals.

st albans
21-01-2006, 12:48 AM

so we should worry about when some cardiff/millwall/stoke fan jumps over a barrier and seriously injures our main man, or throw something at him causing injury?!?

you have to get to the root of the problem, before dealing with it when it happens

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
21-01-2006, 12:58 AM
Yeah. Let's just do that. Worry about it when it happens. Because it won't - you are getting yourselves all worked up and outraged about nothing.
You fool :) Did we play "Cardiff/Millwall/Stoke" tonight? Did anyone jump over any barriers let alone seriously injure 'our main man'? A few chavvy Reading kids shouted some nasty words and jumped up and down a bit. Ah diddums. I'm sure they would be mortified if they thought that the Palace over-sensible crew were fighting their corner.

Let AJ and the Ref and the Stewards and the old bill and the FA and everyone else do their job and be sour pussies if need be - how about you and I just relax and enjoy it a little bit without taking the weight of it all on our shoulders.

AJ in celebration shocker. Sheesh. There are some really really sad sack cocks out there.

RickyB
21-01-2006, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Royal Ian
Good post, As I said on the other thread it didn't bother me too much but I hear he had bottles thrown at him when he did it? It could have turned nasty.

He's a good player but he looked as if he was lacking confidence tonight, a couple of years ago he would have scored 2 or 3 tonight but his finishing was average at best.

couldn't believe you left Morrison sat there twidling his thumbs all game! It wasn't a good post at all, it was a shit post and you know it. What a load of old tosh.

RickyB
21-01-2006, 01:07 AM
I heard that at one point 'Hughesy' let a rather smelly egg go as he jumped for a header.

Could have been nasty.
heheheh! *grin* :D

Happy days indeed.

RickyB
21-01-2006, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Royal Ian
Had he beat a couple of our players and smacked one in I think it would have shut us up, the fact that he went down 'well' and scored a penalty just made it go up again. This all sounds a bit like sour grapes to me. So what? we made you draw? You ain't won it yet mate, this reeks of cockiness. WTF do you think that you are the authority on this? Get a hold of yourself! We outplayed you for major parts of the game.

Worried are we? Afraid you might stop dropping points?

We'll be right up your jacksy son!

IMHO

Good game :)

magician
21-01-2006, 01:35 AM
aj like anyone who's ever been to football knows reading are not millwall cardiff or stoke and he knows (as you do) that when he scores his 2nd in our glorious 4-1 victory at the den he won't go and stand in front of the cold blow lane end !

Oddjob
21-01-2006, 04:59 AM
I'm sorry but our best player and talisman gets grief from a bunch of bell-ends for 80 minutes, then goes and scores and gives some back and we all start whinging ' Oooh naughty boy, someone could have got hurt'

The man is a legend - a player with as much passion as the fans, good luck to him.

daz_eagle
21-01-2006, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by Oddjob
I'm sorry but our best player and talisman gets grief from a bunch of bell-ends for 80 minutes, then goes and scores and gives some back and we all start whinging ' Oooh naughty boy, someone could have got hurt'

The man is a legend - a player with as much passion as the fans, good luck to him.

good post. some of you are a little bit ridiculous/pathetic. :grrr:

f*ck the reading fans, they were asking for it and aj did what he had to do. scored and gave some back. :p

sydney eagle
21-01-2006, 06:28 AM
can't believe so many people get their knickers in a twist over things like this.If the reading fans gave him the amount of shit that was reported then I think it's fair play he gave it back

I thought the same thing the other day when the Ipswich supporters had a whinge when neil Warnock gave them stick back after United equalised after listening to abuse about the score beforehand from the Ipswich fans.Fair play to Warnock then and fair play to AJ today

If the fans can dish it out they should expect it back whether it's from a manager/player or the other set of fans,It's all part of the game imo

Paul Romain
21-01-2006, 06:55 AM
Can't see what all the fuss is about. So he ran towards the fans with his arms spread, mouthing "what?" Not exactly crime of the century. No abusive gestures, I can't even see how what he was doing could be interpreted as "excessive celebrating". Technically he did leave the pitch - by about a yard - but even that was because somone leapt on his back and he then got piled into by about half a dozen team mates. On the replay I watched it looked like he intended to stop well short of the touchline.

As for "not allowing himself to get wound up" by opposition fans taunting him. I think he's quite deliberately allowing himself to get wound up by it. Great motivation for him and as far as I'm concerned the more the oppo wind him up the better

Lion
21-01-2006, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE

Indeed.

Micky Droy
21-01-2006, 07:08 AM
It was good. The sight of him with his arms outstretched and all these Reading fans running down the stand towards him - brilliant.

The downside is now that they know he;s provokable it's going to get worse over the rest of the season, the goading.

Gooders
21-01-2006, 07:12 AM

Just for the record, the ref did book him.

Palace Don
21-01-2006, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by David Amsalem
As a professional he shouldn't have done it.

But, I would have done the same to be fair.

Great Pen AJ :p

I think him doing that pumped up the Reading players even more to reply instantly

IanH
21-01-2006, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Palace Don
I think him doing that pumped up the Reading players even more to reply instantly

If the Palace players had got back in their own half and calmed down a bit after the goal, Reading maybe wouldn't have been able to walk through us and equalise within a minute. The whole celebration thing after the goal has to be seen in the context of us giving away a soft goal straight after - that shows a lack of concentration/professionalism in my book, so no, he should have been a bit more professional. By all means goad them at the end when we have won 1-0, but not with 10 minutes still to go.

And if Eriksson was there last night, AJ has kissed goodbye to any chance of making the World Cup - he missed three relatively straightforward opportunities for him.

mouseboy
21-01-2006, 08:06 AM
I thought it was pretty funny, the reading fans did deserve it!

Andy08
21-01-2006, 08:07 AM
Not many Reading fans there, good driving back from London to pass all the Reading fans coaches with our palace flags flying :)

cpfc_spc1982
21-01-2006, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by sydney eagle
can't believe so many people get their knickers in a twist over things like this.If the reading fans gave him the amount of shit that was reported then I think it's fair play he gave it back

yeh if it wasnt worth a booking though. he is now one caution away from suspension.

AJ'sLoveMonkey
21-01-2006, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Micky Droy
It was good. The sight of him with his arms outstretched and all these Reading fans running down the stand towards him - brilliant.

The downside is now that they know he;s provokable it's going to get worse over the rest of the season, the goading.

What all 3 of them?! Thugs :rolleyes:

Away Day Eagle
21-01-2006, 09:32 AM
"oh mummy mummy AJ celebrated in the wegion of the away fans - it could have got 'nasty' I was fwightened" :sob: :sob:

Grow up you silly little boys.

For f's sake :rolleyes:

WFOW Platinium :cool: :p

Harry Holmesdale
21-01-2006, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Micky Droy

That is exactly what I was trying to say

david sylvian
21-01-2006, 09:49 AM
silly boy tonight and could have caused real problems

i don't think away fans 'hate' him - he's just a big fish in a smallish pond and an easy target for some pretty puerile stick - fair enough goading away fans is never clever but, and this is going to sound childish, they did start it! if they hand't had a mindless go at him i'm sure he would have celebrated in a less controversial manner

MATTY THE EAGLE
21-01-2006, 09:50 AM
I trust the club will fine him, and the FA if need's be Ban Him.

andy stephen
21-01-2006, 09:52 AM
the reading fans were giving it large
deserved a smack in the mouth everyone of them
duly obliged with one outside

davematt
21-01-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by MATTY THE EAGLE

WTF?? :rolleyes:

Why? We have to remember that...

1) At the Madjeski in September, AJ was jeered by the Reading fans whenever he touched the ball

2) The Reading players kicked lumps out of him in September, and that probably made his knee weak, hence finally giving in and ruling him out of 3 months, and ending any chance of going to World Cup

3) They sang 'Andy Johnson is shit' last night, and he got his say by doing his job. I would have done it, and so would have you.

I love you AJ, keep it up!! Shove their insults right back down their throats.

MATTY THE EAGLE
21-01-2006, 09:57 AM
It's all well and good but he is a Pro Player.

Abuse is part of football, how many time does Becks get abused etc but dont see him running up to the away fans giving it the Big Bollocks.

People will not be creaming themselves on here if that booking means he might miss the Play off's etc.

Still Sven will not pick him now anyway, no way can you take him Germany if he's going to react like that.

davematt
21-01-2006, 10:00 AM

Abuse is part of football, how many time does Becks get abused etc but dont see him running up to the away fans giving it the Big Bollocks.

People will not be creaming themselves on here if that booking means he might miss the Play off's etc.

Still Sven will not pick him now anyway, no way can you take him Germany if he's going to react like that.

Grow up you moron. Football is emotional sport, it happens. Chelsea's Arjen Robben did the exact opposite last week and got booked! If we stop player interaction with the fans, our beloved sport will die....

MATTY THE EAGLE
21-01-2006, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by davematt
Grow up you moron. Football is emotional sport, it happens. Chelsea's Arjen Robben did the exact opposite last week and got booked! If we stop player interaction with the fans, our beloved sport will die....

Moron? I'm not the one running up the away fans and getting a booking for it?!:D

Maidstoned Eagle
21-01-2006, 10:02 AM
Moran? He was sent off in an FA Cup Final wasn't he?

MATTY THE EAGLE
21-01-2006, 10:04 AM
Quick Edit there;)

bern5161
21-01-2006, 10:04 AM
Goading the Reading fans only made them feel important. There was absolutely no need for it. I thought AJ looked like a complete tosser. Grow up son.

MATTY THE EAGLE
21-01-2006, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by bern5161
Goading the Reading fans only made them feel important. There was absolutely no need for it. I thought AJ looked like a complete tosser. Grow up son.

:p

Thanet Eagle
21-01-2006, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by andy stephen

Nice !

kolinkins
21-01-2006, 10:09 AM
I can see why he did it, and he had every right to do so. The Reading fans deserved it as well.

BUT - it would have been nice for AJ to celebrate with the home fans at home. But hey ho.

biggie royal
21-01-2006, 10:12 AM
I was a Reading supporter at the game. I was surprised by the intensity of AJ's celebration, thinking he was a calm lad. I guess we can all forget that these players are human beings and will be frustrated by negative chants, but i think he went over the top with that one. When you compare that to the booking Robben received for Chelsea last week, well, there's no comparison. It could have turned nasty.

Disappointing Reading turnout i admit - but 30 for a Friday night game in London that was on Sky - i understand why people stayed away.

When all's said and done, i think 1-1 was relatively fair. Didnt think much to the penalty decision, only proves that referees are heavily influenced by whats going on about them - referring to the suggested handball moments earlier.

Palace certainly look a decent side, but you'l have your work cut out to catch Sheff Utd in 2nd place. I think even you'd admit that Reading are way in the distance now. It wasnt the best performance from us, but is typical of our away displays to be honest. We have enough threat from out midfield four and the top two to score for fun.

Good luck to Palace for the remainder of the season. Hope to make the Premiership trip to Selhurst next season.

Maidstoned Eagle
21-01-2006, 10:15 AM
To be fair to AJ, I think these "diving" allegations get on his tits and this is how he reacts. As for the handball , it was pretty much a stuck on pen. Even Kamara, who never gives us any credit, was shouting for a pen.

Gabor The King
21-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Anyone else see the Reading player cup his ear when he scored?!! If Aj's was a booking surely he should have been booked as well!!

Gabor The King
21-01-2006, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by biggie royal

Didnt think much to the penalty decision, only proves that referees are heavily influenced by whats going on about them - referring to the suggested handball moments earlier.

Think the ref was making up for the blatent handball he didnt give minutes earlier!

bern5161
Originally posted by Gabor The King
Anyone else see the Reading player cup his ear when he scored?!! If Aj's was a booking surely he should have been booked as well!!

Nonsense. He was only trying to hear the Reading fans. :)

Gabor The King
Originally posted by bern5161
Nonsense. He was only trying to hear the Reading fans. :)
what Reading fans?!! ;)

biggie royal
21-01-2006, 10:18 AM
Harper's said in an interview that he was doing a Hulk Hogan style celebration by request of Dave Kitson. Hardly as inciting as Johnson's.

Sometimes you wonder what the celebrations actually gain. Did Johnson's goading actually inspire a top of the league team to turn on the style?!

Gabor The King
21-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Harper's said in an interview that he was doing a Hulk Hogan style celebration by request of Dave Kitson. Hardly as inciting as Johnson's.

Sometimes you wonder what the celebrations actually gain. Did Johnson's goading actually inspire a top of the league team to turn on the style?!
NO!! mis-hit cross!! :p

eagle mart
21-01-2006, 10:21 AM
Fair comment.

But I disagree, it was another nailed on penalty. Not one of your players put up a protest, even your keeper (who was excellent) knew he'd made a misjudgement. I thought we shaded it, although we were hardly robbed.
Still a poor turn-out from you, you can claim the price or what have you, but 5 isn't much. The price was the same for home fans in the same stand. Shame hob nob forum doesn't allow away fans to register (unless you put a non-palace related username) - it could learn a lot from here.

biggie royal
21-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Didnt realise Hob Nob didnt allow away fans to register. I've seen them on there. Shame as i think its nice to hear opposing fan's views - if constructive. We had some rather trouble making Wolves fans on before xmas - perhaps they've been banned since.

Ron Dogers
21-01-2006, 10:29 AM
At the end one of their payers, Harper I think went over to their fan...sorry fans and was giving it the real big 'un - fair enough, great game, lots of emotion, but he did loads more than AJ did. Does inciting the oppo warrant more punishment than if you incite your own fans?

Just how close did AJ go by the way?

And I think we should start a petition to get that nasty Mr Dowie to be given a red card everytime he goes to the fans at the end of the game and punches the air.

Or.............grow up!! The Reading supporter, sorry same mistake, supporters hardly sung apart from to give a very good and respectable young footballer non-stick for being to fast for clumsy defenders and goalkeepers. Even their fine goalkeeper admitted on Sky when I saw it again this morning that AJ was just too fast and it was a penalty.

biggie royal
21-01-2006, 10:32 AM
You'll all know what my reservations are about the penalty. Hahnemann may have taken him out, but Johnson had thumped it into the stand. Not sure what the rules are, but he obviously hasnt going to get on the end of the ball. Can anyone smash the ball 50 yards ahead them then fall over a defender and claim a free kick. Not saying he cheated, just saying it was an interesting call.

Away Day Eagle
21-01-2006, 10:35 AM
We had some rather trouble making Wolves fans on before xmas - perhaps they've been banned since.

Same on here. Don't think he was banned but was a top of the range tool

Ron Dogers
21-01-2006, 10:36 AM
I was a Reading supporter at the game. I was surprised by the intensity of AJ's celebration, thinking he was a calm lad. I guess we can all forget that these players are human beings and will be frustrated by negative chants, but i think he went over the top with that one. When you compare that to the booking Robben received for Chelsea last week, well, there's no comparison. It could have turned nasty.

Disappointing Reading turnout i admit - but 30 for a Friday night game in London that was on Sky - i understand why people stayed away.

When all's said and done, i think 1-1 was relatively fair. Didnt think much to the penalty decision, only proves that referees are heavily influenced by whats going on about them - referring to the suggested handball moments earlier.

Palace certainly look a decent side, but you'l have your work cut out to catch Sheff Utd in 2nd place. I think even you'd admit that Reading are way in the distance now. It wasnt the best performance from us, but is typical of our away displays to be honest. We have enough threat from out midfield four and the top two to score for fun.

Good luck to Palace for the remainder of the season. Hope to make the Premiership trip to Selhurst next season.

Thank-you. Reading also looked an equally decent side and whilst 1-1
was a fair result, without the goalkeeper or if AJ had anywhere near his best performance then it would have been unlike your typical away performance I think.

Stone Eagle
21-01-2006, 10:37 AM

Good luck to Palace for the remainder of the season. Hope to make the Premiership trip to Selhurst next season. I really think you were lucky on the night, if it hadn't been for your keeper AJ would have had a Hat trick and if your keeper gets injured we might even catch you wasn't it this time last year you started losing games and through away any promotion chance, as for your support it was pitiful top of the league and the only chants you could come up with were Johnson your a load of s--t very negative and it just shows how much you would love to have a player of his pace and if you watch the replay it was a definate penalty even thouh the ball was going away from him

biggie royal
21-01-2006, 10:40 AM
Fair comment. Very surprised with AJ's finishing. If he'd have scored the early one-on-one who knows what might have happened. I still stand by my statement that what makes Reading so hard to beat is that they can score 'almost' at will, out of nothing. SO perhaps it could have been 2-2, or 3-3, who knows!!

Gooders
21-01-2006, 10:51 AM
You'll all know what my reservations are about the penalty. Hahnemann may have taken him out, but Johnson had thumped it into the stand. Not sure what the rules are, but he obviously hasnt going to get on the end of the ball. Can anyone smash the ball 50 yards ahead them then fall over a defender and claim a free kick. Not saying he cheated, just saying it was an interesting call.

Gerrard did exactly the same a couple of weeks back, and nobody questioned the decision at all.

Away Day Eagle
21-01-2006, 10:52 AM

Sometimes you wonder what the celebrations actually gain.!

No but it had a material effect upon the player's concentration and the nett effect was your goal IMHO.

Should have gone back to position and got ready. Leave the celebraions for afterwards.

Gooders
21-01-2006, 10:53 AM

But I thought you would "never play us again"?

A :clown: ton chant if ever I heard one - and one that will come back to bite you on the bum.

Just heard your chairman on the radio saying he wants out before the start of your Premiership season. It's all downhill from now matey. :p

budgie
21-01-2006, 10:58 AM
I still stand by my statement that what makes Reading so hard to beat is that they can score 'almost' at will, out of nothing. SO perhaps it could have been 2-2, or 3-3, who knows!!

'Almost at will' sorry but Reading aren't Arsenal, Reading scored simply because Palace went to sleep, something we have done too often this season after scoring ourselves.

Reading looked a good side, but simply on goal scoring opportunities Palace should have won comfortably, as for the penalty, if your own goalkeeper is putting his hands up and admitting it was a pen, I think you should.

The biggest compliment I could give you, is that you are a well balanced side, as we were the year we went up, because you have players playing in there natural position, also I'd be more than happy to take Sidwell off you, best midfielder in the Fizzy Pop by a mile.

Paul Romain
21-01-2006, 11:11 AM

He didn't "fall over the goalkeeper". Quote from Hahnemann...."He's so quick.....I thought I had the ball but ended up smashing into him for the penalty"

And of course it doesn't matter where the ball goes. If that incident had been in the outfield no-one would question if it was a freekick if AJ had got cleaned up by a defender like that after the ball had gone - even if it had gone out of his reach. It would be seen as a late and reckless tackle regardless by any referee in the league - and the defender would be booked....as Hahnemann should have been. No fan would question the decision on either side.

Just sour grapes, inspired by this ludicrous view, started by Bruce, of AJ being a diver. He isn't. He's clever, the defenders and goalkeepers aren't. Instead of criticising him and the referee maybe you Reading fans ought to be asking yourself why your beloved USA clattered him when there was no need as he was supposedly going nowhere and booted the ball 50 yards (sic) into the Holmesdale!

biggie royal
21-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Fair points duely noted.

platypuss
21-01-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by andy stephen

Course you did, sweetheart, course you did. :clown:

There's no problem with giving it back and showing some passion - but when you know it's a sure-fire booking then it's stupid. Surely scoring and then just rising above it would have been enough of a response?

His childish reaction just showed that the abuse gets to him - not so clever.

A pound to penny says you'll be looking back and whinging about his reaction if he gets a fifth yellow and a suspension.

biggie royal
21-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Perhaps also it shouldnt be forgotten that Johnson missed a handful of real sitters (i can think of three) before scoring a good penalty. I wouldnt have thought he would have overly impressed Sven. I wonder what Sven would have thought to the celebration.

Heb 7:4
21-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Perhaps also it shouldnt be forgotten that Johnson missed a handful of real sitters (i can think of three) before scoring a good penalty. I wouldnt have thought he would have overly impressed Sven. I wonder what Sven would have thought to the celebration.

I can only think of one (the one on one at the start) that was a sitter, for which your keeper did excellently. I also think it's worth noting that he creates these "sitters" himself! Caused your defence all sorts of trouble last night.

sydney eagle
21-01-2006, 12:01 PM
I trust the club will fine him, and the FA if need's be Ban Him. what a ridiculous comment...even for you

shayeagle
21-01-2006, 12:06 PM
if somebody was taunting me, its a natural reaction to react, so i think what aj did was what any other normal person would do,

pete eagle
21-01-2006, 12:09 PM

Bitterness is thy name.

SpikeyMatt
21-01-2006, 12:12 PM
I thought it was rather funny myself.

We're making a mountain out of a molehill here IMO.

Chester 76
21-01-2006, 01:00 PM
I wouldnt have thought he would have overly impressed Sven. I wonder what Sven would have thought to the celebration. Probably didn`t see it as he left during the celebration.

Mark Gardiner
21-01-2006, 01:01 PM
The problem I had with AJ's actions last night was it was done so stupidly.

Yes, he'd been baited by Reading fans most of the night, but that's nothing new this season. And whilst I sympathise with his desire to stick one up at them, there are subtler ways that running straight to them to soak up the "applause", virtually begging the referee to give you a caution.

Why not make a nice curving run from the goal to the left, run in front of the away fans (making it clear to them what you've just done to their team!) before taking the adulation of the Palace fans in the Arthur? What can the ref do then? "I was just running to the home fans, honest!"

And to those who think it was just a bit of fun, at least one steward was led away requiring medical attention following the utterly reprehensible response of the away fans

PengeEagle
21-01-2006, 01:02 PM
I like AJ a lot but what he did tonight was stupid and could have turned nasty

Dont be silly, they were giving it, and he shoved it right back up their arses! Well done AJ!

PengeEagle
21-01-2006, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Mark Gardiner
The problem I had with AJ's actions last night was it was done so stupidly.

Yes, he'd been baited by Reading fans most of the night, but that's nothing new this season. And whilst I sympathise with his desire to stick one up at them, there are subtler ways that running straight to them to soak up the "applause", virtually begging the referee to give you a caution.

Why not make a nice curving run from the goal to the left, run in front of the away fans (making it clear to them what you've just done to their team!) before taking the adulation of the Palace fans in the Arthur? What can the ref do then? "I was just running to the home fans, honest!"

And to those who think it was just a bit of fun, at least one steward was led away requiring medical attention following the utterly reprehensible response of the away fans

Hopefully it was one of the jobsworth stewards that were having a pop at me and my mates about tickets in the Holmesdale.

PengeEagle
21-01-2006, 01:05 PM

:rolleyes:

:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

:S: :S: :S:

Eaglesmad123
21-01-2006, 01:31 PM
So how about if kitson has scored and ran over to the homesdale and goaded the home fans. Would that have been okay.

sydney eagle
21-01-2006, 02:03 PM
So how about if kitson has scored and ran over to the homesdale and goaded the home fans. Would that have been okay. If the holmesdale were giving him shit all night then yes

why is it that fans think they can abuse and yell the most unbelievable comments at a player then get all offended if said player rubs it back in their face?

yourname00
21-01-2006, 02:12 PM
To be honest I think it's part of football. If Crouch had scored in the cup game when we were giving him tons of stick I think it would of been fair play if he signaled to the crowd, I would of found it pretty funny too (as long as we still went on to win).

AJ did it and got booked, end of story and no big deal.

rambo
21-01-2006, 02:39 PM
It's part of his game. He said in the Adder this week how he likes to go over to the oppo fans at the start to get himself psyched up. He says if they boo him it gives him the extra 5 per cent - normally he's 95 pc up for it he says and that makes him 100pc.

So he seems to think it improves his game. As a lot of his game is pace and commitment maybe it does. But perhaps also it's posible to get TOO psyched up?

redandblue
21-01-2006, 03:30 PM
You'll all know what my reservations are about the penalty. Hahnemann may have taken him out, but Johnson had thumped it into the stand. .

I do not think it was a penalty as the ball had gone and there was no goal scoring opportunity however the handball prior to that was and a red card should have been shown.

Incedentally there is no excuse for your poor support it was pitiful

redandblue
21-01-2006, 03:33 PM

Just upset becasue he wouldn't have his picyure taken with you

yourname00
21-01-2006, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by rambo
It's part of his game. He said in the Adder this week how he likes to go over to the oppo fans at the start to get himself psyched up. He says if they boo him it gives him the extra 5 per cent - normally he's 95 pc up for it he says and that makes him 100pc.

So he seems to think it improves his game. As a lot of his game is pace and commitment maybe it does. But perhaps also it's posible to get TOO psyched up?

I think that's what is kinda sad about modern football, we want the players passionate and working hard but then when the player steps over the bounds even slightly people criticize and say the players should be able to control themselves better.

Not just defending AJ but Robben getting sent off the other week was stupid too, even though I dislike him.

yourname00
21-01-2006, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by redandblue
I do not think it was a penalty as the ball had gone and there was no goal scoring opportunity however the handball prior to that was and a red card should have been shown.

Incedentally there is no excuse for your poor support it was pitiful

Of course it was a penalty you're not allowed to take out a player like that, it doesn't matter if they have the ball or not. If AJ was running into goal without the ball being anywhere near him and he got taken out like that it would of still been a penalty.

limited_edition
21-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by SpikeyMatt
I thought it was rather funny myself.

We're making a mountain out of a molehill here IMO. Exactly. It was nothing compared to AJ goading the Holte End last season.

palace_burger
21-01-2006, 05:32 PM
This is nothing new, I cant remember the game was it Derby at home recently where AJ scored in the dying seconds, think he also won then missed a pen.

Anyway he was getting stick from the fans that night and goaded them when he scored and at the final whistle.

The trouble is since Bruce said he was a diver the away fans like to taunt him for being a cheat, seeing that he reacts means it is obviously getting at him.

I am sure most of B block would be insensed if a player from the opposition came ovre and goaded them, its not big and its not clever.

All players do it from time to time I am sure Own, Shearer et al have done it once or twice, AJ wants to stop now before he gets a rep for being a goader and a cheat, one will perpetuate the other!

Walk away son, your better than them

Shipp Ahoy!
21-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Funny enough I had a dream the night before that we were playing Man City??? :confused: I was standing next to the pitch and there was something going on with an injury everyone was focusing on that, an away fan then did something to seriously piss off AJ and he turned sharp glared at him them made towards him. I ran around the pitch and standing 5 yards away screamed at him "AJ HE'S NOT WORTH IT!!! DON'T!!!" then all the other players ran over realised what was happening and walked off.

Weird :eek:

cpfc_spc1982
21-01-2006, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by PengeEagle
Dont be silly, they were giving it, and he shoved it right back up their arses! Well done AJ!

and gets booked and is now one game away from suspension to boot. the actual gesture of going over there is nothing but it carries a booking rightly or wrongly, so it was silly.

patrickmoore123
21-01-2006, 09:28 PM
have we good a song for the great darren ward yet

colino36
21-01-2006, 09:31 PM
If they gave as much as they did all night, they deserved to get it back. THEY DID DESERVE IT!!!!!

Vince Hilaire's Afro
21-01-2006, 11:00 PM
I can understand AJ's reaction because of the stick he was getting, but footballers are paid a lot of money to be professionals and that's the bottom line. For instance, police officers encounter confrontation and provocation every day of their lives but have to rise above it (granted, like football players, they sometimes fail to do this).

It's not the players' fault that there's so many idiots who go to football matches, but the fact is, supporters have died during and after matches as a result of flashpoints and controversies. The players should do their bit to ensure they don't fan the flames of antagonism.

I still remember Clive Allen at the Palace QPR FA cup quarter final when he scored at the end of the game and flicked a V sign at us. Cue riot police and horses on the pitch, and various battles on public transport all the way home. I was also at the Cantona game, and he's lucky he chose Selhurst Park for his impromptu martial arts demonstration and not Elland Road or Anfield.

It must be tempting to goad the fans, but I wouldn't want anyone's death or injury as a result of my actions on my conscience.

imashed
21-01-2006, 11:14 PM
it was funny at the time but the players lost there concentration and reading just rammed it back down aj's and mcduff's cupped ear with a smash and grab goal

platypuss
22-01-2006, 07:51 AM
[B]I do not think it was a penalty as the ball had gone and there was no goal scoring opportunity however the handball prior to that was and a red card should have been shown.

Jesus, no wonder refs get unfair stick when there are people around like you who have no idea at all about the laws of football.

Are you Chris Kamara?

Ron Dogers
22-01-2006, 08:07 AM

Listen to your goalies admission maybe?

What about the handball?

cpfcben
22-01-2006, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by forsells no1 fan
Having watched on the box what sort of things were they chanting about him? '' Andy Johnson is shit! ''

AJ should have saved the goading till after the final whistle. Reading fans had the last laugh.

Still love you AJ
:love:

DANGERMOUSE
23-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Chris K
Opposition supporters used to hate Cantona too. I would have loved him to play for Palace at his peak. I think its great that we have players that have a reputation as 90% of the time the hatred is brought on by jealousy. I can't believe a Palace fan - of all people - is using Cantona as an example of how to react to crowd banter! :eek:

I can understand why A.J. would want to give the Reading fans a metaphorical two fingers, but it was unprofessional and wrong. He got booked for it, and it provoked aggro in the stand (which is why, after all, this sort of thing is punishable by refs).

The best insult to away fans is in the scoring, not the celebration. Stick to that, please A.J.

Freedman69
23-01-2006, 11:45 AM

Just read this comment. WHAT AWAY FANS DO LIKE AJ?
to be honest i dont think any of our away fan like aj.
but then again does he care as long as he has the palace fans and the team behind him he will be happy. The thing to should worry about is if the palace fan start hating him.

LP
23-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by imashed
it was funny at the time but the players lost there concentration and reading just rammed it back down aj's and mcduff's cupped ear with a smash and grab goal

I thought this, if we'd concentrated on defending the lead immediately the penalty went in, rather than goading the small band of Reading fans maybe we'd of won-the best way of ramming their taunts down their throats.

Buglebob
23-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Would've been far more effective to have just ignored them. Gave the Reading fans more credibility than they deserved by rising to the bait.

Son of Ron
23-01-2006, 12:28 PM
If it had kicked off with their fans I think our stewards could have contained all 23 of them.

Can't be too many times a team has arrived at Selhurst with more points than supporters.

palacefan4life
23-01-2006, 12:37 PM
'Kicked off' are you serious?? I drank in the pub after the match where all 6 of those fans tried to look hard down at the front of the Arthur and they're a bunch of 16 year olds!

Zohar Returns
23-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Just upset becasue he wouldn't have his picyure taken with you

:D :p

Disco
23-01-2006, 12:48 PM
So how about if kitson has scored and ran over to the homesdale and goaded the home fans. Would that have been okay.

Go and watch the playoff semi DVD (either leg will do), see what Kyle does after he scores, it happens to us often enough.

Some other people on here want to make their minds up too, you've moaning that AJ doesn't care and he's only here for the money, then derriding him for a display of passion. And this is his own fans!!!

screamingalice
23-01-2006, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by adrenalin john

We took 3,500 there.

The game at Reading was not live on Sky!

Bungalow
23-01-2006, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by screamingalice
The game at Reading was not live on Sky!

Nor was it 30 a ticket?

Bungalow
23-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Couldn't agree more,
New rule: If a player is to score he needs to be back in his own half in 10secs Max.

I have often thought it would be a might be a good idea to let the team which has just conceded kick off when they are ready, even if the scoring teams players are still in their half.

PauLo
23-01-2006, 02:14 PM
correct me if i'm wrong, but no one was too bothered when AJ did the same (maybe not with as much anger) at Villa last season were they???

it happened, nothing came of it, lets just walk away and let it be...

jazman
23-01-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by cpfc_spc1982
aj did this he got booked. one more yellow and hes suspended.

If that is true you watch AJ get booked against Southampton on Wednesday .... ;)

mailman
23-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Lets not forget that this has happen to palace fans, up at Everton last season and again at Plymouth this season,
AJ should used the excuse that he did not know that there was away fans in that part of the ground.

Then again there wasn't.

Son of Ron
23-01-2006, 02:31 PM
I see Gary Neville is now facing a potential police investigation for doing similar at OT yesterday.

a) we criticise players for showing no passion. When they do they are castigated. Pathetic. Its not like he kung-fu kicked a fan or anything.

b) why should they put up with loads of verbal abuse every week and not be allowed to do something in return (its not like AJ or Neville did / said anything offensive).

c) have the police got nothing better to do with their time ?!

Son of Ron
23-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Bungalow
I have often thought it would be a might be a good idea to let the team which has just conceded kick off when they are ready, even if the scoring teams players are still in their half.

No need with our lot, they always go to sleep immediately after scoring - thus handing this sort advantage to our opposition in any case.

DANGERMOUSE
23-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by PauLo
correct me if i'm wrong, but no one was too bothered when AJ did the same (maybe not with as much anger) at Villa last season were they???

it happened, nothing came of it, lets just walk away and let it be... But something did come of it - our best player picked up a stupid, avoidable booking which could cost him (and us) a suspension later in the season. Whether you agree with the rules or not, players are not supposed to incite the crowd (one way or another) and if they do so in such a blatant way, they are going to get booked. Would you be shrugging your shoulders if A.J. had already been booked and was then sent off for his celebration (q.v. Robben, a couple of weeks ago)?

yourname00
23-01-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by DANGERMOUSE
But something did come of it - our best player picked up a stupid, avoidable booking which could cost him (and us) a suspension later in the season. Whether you agree with the rules or not, players are not supposed to incite the crowd (one way or another) and if they do so in such a blatant way, they are going to get booked. Would you be shrugging your shoulders if A.J. had already been booked and was then sent off for his celebration (q.v. Robben, a couple of weeks ago)?

I like having players playing for us that have a bit of passion, I don't want robots thanks.

LP
23-01-2006, 02:49 PM
Fowler did it recently when he scored against Man Utd and also Kavanagh made a point of taunting the Leeds fans after scoring Wigan's winning penalty. It seems to be the latest thing to make a big issue out of this, players have always done it, so what quite frankly.

Kevin Phillips is the worst.

Chris K
23-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by DANGERMOUSE
I can't believe a Palace fan - of all people - is using Cantona as an example of how to react to crowd banter! :eek:

Er and where in my post did i say 'Cantona is an example of how to react to crowd banter'??? I said absolutely no such thing. Try reading my post again

mr_teen82
23-01-2006, 03:13 PM
If I were aj - I would have wanted to say something back too - they were abusing him the whole match.

All because of Bruce - and that idiot thought he could buy him back.

cdm61
23-01-2006, 04:38 PM
Did anyone notice how ready and waiting Readgin were during the 'over' celebration. It was at that moment we lost concentration and they went and scored. I'd much rather they celebrated at such length after the game.

Freedman69
23-01-2006, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by cdm61
Did anyone notice how ready and waiting Readgin were during the 'over' celebration. It was at that moment we lost concentration and they went and scored. I'd much rather they celebrated at such length after the game.

Yeah that true but AJ wanted to prove a point to the readings fan and show is love for palace

tiny69
23-01-2006, 05:40 PM
to all the people slagging of aj's goading think back to plymouth away when they scored their first goal there players give large to us but the diffrence is we were not slagging them of,and there player never got booked.

rhiannapaul
23-01-2006, 10:19 PM
what AJ did was nothing compared to Neville who looked like a right prick
the Reading scummers were give AJ loads of grief and booing him after the ligite pen

DocSavage
24-01-2006, 07:38 AM
I rather enjoyed it myself and it must be my working class roots that make me think anyone who objects to players enjoying the game, the atmosphere, their own fans and the opposition fans, should go watch ice skating where they can sit down without fear of anyone standing up around them or being profane!

P.Hep
24-01-2006, 09:26 AM
Approaching it from a different angle, wouldn't it be better if his initial reaction after scoring was to come straight to his own fans in a passionate celebration instead of constantly mocking the away fans?

Would just be nice to think for once that he was more hyped about scoring FOR us than AGAINST them..

Tom's Old Man
24-01-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by P.Hep
Approaching it from a different angle, wouldn't it be better if his initial reaction after scoring was to come straight to his own fans in a passionate celebration instead of constantly mocking the away fans?

Would just be nice to think for once that he was more hyped about scoring FOR us than AGAINST them..
That's what I was hoping for. Never mind.

Reading4eva
24-01-2006, 01:46 PM
If he scores, then he can celebrate how he wants is how I look at it

stanleyknife
24-01-2006, 04:58 PM
Ya rightly so, stick it to them aj. Player should give it if he takes it. Robbie fowlers snorting the line against everton was the best.

Reading4eva
24-01-2006, 07:07 PM
It wasn't nice for me, seeing as I am a Reading fan, but fair play... if you score, how else are you meant to celebrate

Chobham Eagle
24-01-2006, 08:50 PM
Good comment on Saints chat re tomorrow:

Saints 0, Palace 2
(Johnson 2 - 1 pen)*

*Mainly because of all the stupid comments made about him at the beginning of the season on this Forum......He'll come back to bite our collective arses.

screamingalice
24-01-2006, 09:33 PM
I would expect that sort celebration from a Man Utd player not a Palace player. I don't think Dougie would have done it and he is the example that should be held up to the younger Palace players.

AJ shouldn't of done it, it wouldn't have impressed Sven. And yes that is important because having an England international improves the standing of the club.

Arguably it contributed to the players loosing concentration and losing 2 vital points to a sucker punch goal.

Also it won't look so clever if the yellow card contributes to AJ missing a game should we reach the play-offs. Which would be inexcusable when he is so highly paid, another reason to expect a professional example from him for the younger players to look up to.

A proper celebration would have been to run to the Palace fans to enjoy the moment, leave the taunting to those on the terraces.

I like AJ and enjoy seeing him play for Palace, but he should act in a fashion that Palace fans expect from their players. I hope Dowie has addressed the issue with AJ, albeit in the dressing room where it should stay.

PengeEagle
25-01-2006, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by DocSavage
I rather enjoyed it myself and it must be my working class roots that make me think anyone who objects to players enjoying the game, the atmosphere, their own fans and the opposition fans, should go watch ice skating where they can sit down without fear of anyone standing up around them or being profane!

Great post.

screamingalice
25-01-2006, 11:07 AM
I love the atmosphere at games, I enjoy the banter from the crowd and enjoy it when players build up good relationships with the fans.

I am also working class and do not understand why this would mean I should be pleased to see a Palace player goading the away fans in an inappropriate manner rather than celebrating with us, his working class fans.

I do not want AJ to be put in the same class as Niel Warnock and Darren Huckerby who most in football loathe because of their actions. The only reason people should dislike AJ is because he scores goals against their club and lots of them!

sydnsteve
25-01-2006, 12:51 PM
And I'm not fecking working class, but it was still stupid and certain to get a yellow card. And I do outswear (sadly) most of those around me at SP, many of whom appear to be working class.

i.e. WTF has anyone's class origins got to do with it, or don't the middle classes swear any more?