PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal Youth Academy

Spoons
25-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Interesting article in the Arsenal programme last night gving pen portraits of all the players from the Arsenal academey that have gone onwards to play professionally at league level.

the list starts with Julian Gray and Tommy Black (both looking very young in their arsenal kits).

Others in the list include David Livermore, Rhys Weston, James Harper, Stuart Taylor, Ashley Cole, Graham Stack, David Noble, John Halls, Jay Bothroyd, Steven Sidwell, Rohan Ricketts, jermaine Pennant, Moritz Volz, Jerimie Aliadiere, David Bentley, Justin Hoyte, Quincy Owusu Abeyie, Ryan Smith, Arturo lupoli and Cesc Fabregas + 36 others.

How does this compare with Palace - Wayne Routledge, Tom Soares, Ben Watson, Gary Borrowdale...?

Morrison, Mullins, Kabba were probably before the academy.

Anyone remeber any others?

Friskey
25-01-2006, 08:46 PM
Gareth Williams, Sagi Burton, Wayne Carlisle .......

David Amsalem
25-01-2006, 08:49 PM
David Hunt.

Friskey
25-01-2006, 08:51 PM
David Woozley.

Heb 7:4
25-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Spoons
jermaine Pennant

I thought they paid 2million for Pennant when he was 15?

Daddy Long
25-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Togwell, Sean Hankin, Sagi Burton, Steve Hunt, Andy Frampton, Steve Evans, Tyrone Berry, Richard Harris

Friskey
Originally posted by Heb 7:4
I thought they paid 2million for Pennant when he was 15?

They also paid for Lupoli, Volz and Fabregas

Daddy Long
Edit - already mentioned

alaneagle
25-01-2006, 09:06 PM
its amazing how few actually got into the arsenal team (ie cole)

Spoons
25-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
Togwell, Sean Hankin, Sagi Burton, Steve Hunt, Andy Frampton, Steve Evans, Tyrone Berry, Richard Harris

With the hopeful exception of Sam Togwell, Hankin etc are not even in the same league as the 36 players I couldn't be bothered to type.

Friskey
25-01-2006, 09:25 PM
With the hopeful exception of Sam Togwell, Hankin etc are not even in the same league as the 36 players I couldn't be bothered to type.

But 6 of the players you did type Arsenal brought from other clubs.

Spoons
25-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Friskey
They also paid for Lupoli, Volz and Fabregas

Who then went in to their academy

Friskey
25-01-2006, 09:28 PM
Who then went in to their academy

I take your point but your not quite right as 4 of them made first team appearances the year they joined Arsenal,hardly going into the academy is it???

Spoons
25-01-2006, 09:39 PM
I take your point but your not quite right as 4 of them made first team appearances the year they joined Arsenal,hardly going into the academy is it???

I agree, but they listed them anyway. Still impressed with the remainder on the list - Sidwell,Gray,Halls etc

Friskey
25-01-2006, 09:45 PM
I agree, but they listed them anyway. Still impressed with the remainder on the list - Sidwell,Gray,Halls etc

There list is def more impressive then ours without doubt. But we do produce more players who are capable of playing for our team than they produce capable for there team.

Gallery Shaft
25-01-2006, 09:59 PM
John Salako, Gareth Southgate, Richard Shaw or is this too far back?

alaneagle
25-01-2006, 10:15 PM
palace have a good academy record

Velocity
25-01-2006, 10:23 PM
But we do produce more players who are capable of playing for our team than they produce capable for there team.

that's hardly a positive point is it? We are promotion hopefuls and they are challenging for the Premiership title each year

dodge_bond
25-01-2006, 10:24 PM
Will Antwi!

brighton_eagle
25-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Velocity
that's hardly a positive point is it? We are promotion hopefuls and they are challenging for the Premiership title each year

Why is it anything but a positive point? If our academy turned out Premiership quality players we'd be in the Premiership. :)

Friskey
25-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Velocity

Not really challeging this year but I take your point.

Arsenal produce players good enough for promotion hopefulls or lower level premiership teams. As do we. Do you not think its a positive that we are proucing players around the same level as Arsenal?

dodge_bond
25-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Steve Sidwell was poached from Chipstead at quite a late age i believe, then again i could be wrong!

brighton_eagle
25-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by brighton_eagle
Why is it anything but a positive point? If our academy turned out Premiership quality players we'd be in the Premiership. :)

Actually, reading that again, it doesn't make much sense. Apologies, long day working. :(

Friskey
25-01-2006, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by brighton_eagle
Actually, reading that again, it doesn't make much sense. Apologies, long day working. :(

No excuse im still working! :p :angel:

dodge_bond
25-01-2006, 10:43 PM
I like to ook of Jamie smith in our acadamy at the moment. Hes one to watch!

brighton_eagle
25-01-2006, 10:45 PM
No excuse im still working! :p :angel:

Damn.

Spoons
25-01-2006, 11:04 PM
There list is def more impressive then ours without doubt. But we do produce more players who are capable of playing for our team than they produce capable for there team.

In which case, should we be looking at the current Arsenal Academy cast offs who are unlikely to make the Arse 1st team but are good enough for Prem/Cola teams (like Gray and Black were).

At one time we were an attractive option - what has changed?

Sir.S.C Remembered
25-01-2006, 11:38 PM
Why do Arsenal bother with an academy. I mean only Bentley has played even a handful of first team games and looks like he won't make the grade. Fabregas, Quincy and others aren't loval lads or anything and most of their development was done at other clubs.

cdm61
26-01-2006, 12:41 AM
What everyone has to understand is that they don't have to scout too much everyone wants to get into the Arsenal Academy. Its easy for them to pick the cream of London's finest let alone across the globe.

They also have excellent facilities and good coaches.

Take a look at what we have to offer good kids and how good our scouts are?

Spoons
26-01-2006, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by cdm61
What everyone has to understand is that they don't have to scout too much everyone wants to get into the Arsenal Academy. Its easy for them to pick the cream of London's finest let alone across the globe.

They also have excellent facilities and good coaches.

Take a look at what we have to offer good kids and how good our scouts are?

And no doubt they will in a year or two claim Theo Walcott as a product of the arsenal academy.

The question is, who will snap up the youngster who has had to make way for walcott. Percentage wise and compared with Palace, there is a higher likelihood the 'rejected' Arsenal youngster will go on to be an established league player.