PDA

View Full Version : Bright side of not going up


pallet
01-02-2006, 12:33 PM
Hopefully we will make the palyoffs, but then thats not a certainly that we will go up, so here are so postives of staying in the Champsionship:

For al us Essex Eagles its looking good for both Southend and Colchester to come up.

We will get a big pay day on AJ.

The ticket prices will not go up.

Thanet Eagle
01-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Forever the optimist .

cpfc_spc1982
01-02-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by pallet
[B

For al us Essex Eagles its looking good for both Southend and Colchester to come up.

We will get a big pay day on AJ.

[/B]

i hope they both dont make it as they have players we could want in the summer and we would have less chance getting them if they go up.

dowie with aj cash on the hip - could be very very bad, or could be good off course.

Riccardo
01-02-2006, 12:44 PM
We will be lucky to get 2.5m for AJ if we don't go up this season.

pallet
01-02-2006, 12:44 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cpfc_spc1982
[B]i hope they both dont make it as they have players we could want in the summer and we would have less chance getting them if they go up.

Like who?

cpfc_spc1982
01-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by pallet
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cpfc_spc1982
[B]i hope they both dont make it as they have players we could want in the summer and we would have less chance getting them if they go up.

Like who?

eastwood and gutteridge from southend. danns and halford from colchester.

cupid stunt
01-02-2006, 12:47 PM
If we go up then great, but worst comes to the worst and we dont nevermind another season to try, since i`ve supported palace nothings been done the easy way so not alot can surprise or dissapoint me to much this season

Oddjob
01-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by pallet
Hopefully we will make the palyoffs, but then thats not a certainly that we will go up, so here are so postives of staying in the Champsionship:

For al us Essex Eagles its looking good for both Southend and Colchester to come up.


I actually also thought this from a selfish point of view, only takes 20 mins to drive to Southend !

GreatGonzo
01-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Riccardo
We will be lucky to get 2.5m for AJ if we don't go up this season.

Thing is he HAS to put in a transfer request - which is likely or we will get nothing for him effectively.

MATTY THE EAGLE
01-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Less supporters, so can sit with all my mates.

stevey_d
01-02-2006, 12:55 PM
We get to play birmingham......................maybe.

Richard
01-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Although establishing ourselves permanently in the Premiership must be the club's objective, I have never minded our seasons in the second division (or whatever new names the branding tossers come up with for league below the top league). You get more competitive games, real supporters, more surprise results, cheaper tickets (although less so this season), better ticket availability, opportunity to spot talented young players on their way up, and, er, real supporters (again).

The Col U fan in my office claims that they don't want to go up because they can't afford the costs of the necessary work they would have to do to their ground.

Richard
01-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
Thing is he HAS to put in a transfer request - which is likely or we will get nothing for him effectively. How does that work ?

Sluggo
01-02-2006, 01:00 PM
If we go up I get to see one game next season ... Reading.

If we stay in the fizzy pop league I get to see two ... Southampton and Portsmouth.

Mind you, who wants to go to Fratton Park? :o :moo: :eek:

GreatGonzo
01-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Richard
How does that work ?

Like managers, players are on fixed term contracts if you get rid of them, you have to pay up their contract. (although usually a settlement figure is agreed upon)

In the summer AJ will have 4m left on his contract and we will be lucky to get much more than that for him - maybe 5m. If we don't reach a good settlement it is not impossible that without a transfer request we would end up just getting 1m to spend!

Scifo
01-02-2006, 01:12 PM
To be honest I'm looking forward to the end of seaon cull whether we get promoted or not and I just hope it comes.

None of Morrison, Freedman, Macken, Aki, Hughes, Watson, Leggy, Soares, Hall, Pops, Hudson and Ward are anything special in this division let alone the Premiership but theres so many people that can't bear to let each one of them go. Whatever division we're in next year I'd like to see ID be ruthless so we can bring some genuine quality in but to be honest the only way I can see him doing this is if Jordan forces his hand.

GreatGonzo
01-02-2006, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Scifo
To be honest I'm looking forward to the end of seaon cull whether we get promoted or not and I just hope it comes.

None of Morrison, Freedman, Macken, Aki, Hughes, Watson, Leggy, Soares, Hall, Pops, Hudson and Ward are anything special in this division let alone the Premiership but theres so many people that can't bear to let each one of them go. Whatever division we're in next year I'd like to see ID be ruthless so we can bring some genuine quality in but to be honest the only way I can see him doing this is if Jordan forces his hand.

Funny how 6 of those who are not up to it have played for their country!
1 Scottish, 2 Irish, 1 Northern Irish, 1 Finnish and 1 Australian - no not the biggest of nations but seriously - not good enough for CCC level - you are insane!

Then we have Watson - plays for England U21s as does Soares, Ward was voted best CCC defender last season and most people thought Hudson was instrumental in our run to the play-offs 2 seasons ago.

You sir are mad!

MATTY THE EAGLE
01-02-2006, 01:36 PM
With AJ on 24k p/w for 4 years left on his deal thats 4.992 Milliom we have to pay him, so say we took 8 Million for him we would have little over 3Million of that being the actual fee for him.

When he put in the transfer request he forfits all money owed to him, meaning we would have kept the 8 Million.

Ideally AJ will put in another Transer request being the greedy git that he is, so we can take all the transfer fee for him.

CHERRY TREE BRB
01-02-2006, 01:39 PM
How is AJ a greedy git, he effectively put his plans of going to the world cup to help us get promoted after almost single handledly keeeping us up:hmph:

GreatGonzo
01-02-2006, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by CHERRY TREE BRB
How is AJ a greedy git, he effectively put his plans of going to the world cup to help us get promoted after almost single handledly keeeping us up:hmph:

AJ is not good enough to go to the world cup - he is not clinical enough.

He came out with his world cup reasons being the ONLY reason he wanted to leave - then stayed for more money! Joey Barton is doing the same at Man City - it was all an attempt to get more money!

Away Day Eagle
01-02-2006, 01:57 PM
The only "positive" of not going up is vindication of GG.

GreatGonzo
01-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Away Day Eagle
The only "positive" of not going up is vindication of GG.

And not even i want that!

Would rather watch premiership football next year.

welshneil
01-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by MATTY THE EAGLE

Ideally AJ will put in another Transer request being the greedy git that he is
:S: :S: :S: :S: :S:

Away Day Eagle
01-02-2006, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
And not even i want that!

Would rather watch premiership football next year.

Mark

I know you do.

It was a little leg pull.

:) :p :lux: :afro:

Scifo
01-02-2006, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
Funny how 6 of those who are not up to it have played for their country!
1 Scottish, 2 Irish, 1 Northern Irish, 1 Finnish and 1 Australian - no not the biggest of nations but seriously - not good enough for CCC level - you are insane!

Then we have Watson - plays for England U21s as does Soares, Ward was voted best CCC defender last season and most people thought Hudson was instrumental in our run to the play-offs 2 seasons ago.

You sir are mad!
Aside from the point that having once played for your country but no longer being deemed worthy of consideration does not equate to being any reasonable standard of professional footballer, my point was that these are not bad players but at best above average championship players.
If Watson or Soares turn out to be regular premiership players I'll say fair play to them but I'd honestly be surprised if either will be considered one of the best players in our team in two years.

There have been a lot of compaints on this board about the lack of signings despite us having the biggest squad in this division and I'd guess the most expensive wage bill (even not including AJ).
If i was my money in the club I would surley listen to any requests for players that are needed in certain positions but I wouldn't dream of allowing it until someone can explain to me satisfactoraly why I'm paying more money per week than any other club in the division to players that don't play 90 mins of football.


As well as this if we we're to get promoted, there isn't one player on that list (possible exception to Ward) who I'd be confident of being able to keep us up if they played regularly.

Matty Ess
01-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by pallet
Hopefully we will make the palyoffs, but then thats not a certainly that we will go up, so here are so postives of staying in the Champsionship:

For al us Essex Eagles its looking good for both Southend and Colchester to come up.

We will get a big pay day on AJ.

The ticket prices will not go up.

Looks like your a real palace fan then!? we don't need fans with little passion like you!

:bash:

GreatGonzo
01-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Scifo
As well as this if we we're to get promoted, there isn't one player on that list (possible exception to Ward) who I'd be confident of being able to keep us up if they played regularly.

SO the main bit of your post basically said ID has spent a fortune and put together what is an average squad - won't disagree - been saying that for ages.

This bit though i disagree with because you don't need to be that good to stay up - as West Brom showed last year.

Kiraly, Ward, Boyce, Watson, AJ, Clinton, Aki, Leggy, McAnuff and a couple of others (soares included in games every now and then) could all play big enough roles to keep us up but it would depend on how many new faces we brought in and how they fitted into the side.

JAS78
01-02-2006, 04:37 PM
the only thing that will hurt more than us missing out on promotion this season is seeing AJ banging in goals next season wearing another teams colours :( i'm praying we go up

geeza
01-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
AJ is not good enough to go to the world cup - he is not clinical enough.

He came out with his world cup reasons being the ONLY reason he wanted to leave - then stayed for more money! Joey Barton is doing the same at Man City - it was all an attempt to get more money!

Agreed.

Clapham Rover
01-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Another season in the CCC could be the best preparation for the Premiership that we could get - see, e.g., Reading just missing out last year, WHU the year before, and then doing well in the Prem.

That's assuming that if we stay down, ID isn't hounded out by the Results Now idiots.

JAS78
01-02-2006, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by MATTY THE EAGLE
With AJ on 24k p/w for 4 years left on his deal thats 4.992 Milliom we have to pay him, so say we took 8 Million for him we would have little over 3Million of that being the actual fee for him.

When he put in the transfer request he forfits all money owed to him, meaning we would have kept the 8 Million.

Ideally AJ will put in another Transer request being the greedy git that he is, so we can take all the transfer fee for him.

If you want to keep a great young goalscorer you have to pay the going rate, especially if you've just been relegated. He could of really stamped his feet and left for 30+ grand a week, scored goals in the prem this season and had a great chance of going to germany, he CHOSE to stay show some loyalty and will now no dougt miss out

Benzhiyi
01-02-2006, 05:13 PM
The Premiership is overrated.

kolinkins
01-02-2006, 05:15 PM
I quite like this division.

JAS78
01-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
AJ is not good enough to go to the world cup - he is not clinical enough.

He came out with his world cup reasons being the ONLY reason he wanted to leave - then stayed for more money! Joey Barton is doing the same at Man City - it was all an attempt to get more money!

Completely different we were relegated at the end of a season, man city are hoping for europe half way through the season?

GreatGonzo
01-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by JAS78
Completely different we were relegated at the end of a season, man city are hoping for europe half way through the season?

But he has put in the transfer request as a bargaining chip to get more money just as AJ did.

It also has aspects of the Routledge issue - the club offer under what the player is worth and his teammates are on and expect him to sign.

britabroad
01-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Richard
[B] I have never minded our seasons in the second division (or whatever new names the branding tossers come up with for league below the top league).

Oy oy! That is no way to talk about Mr Maz. Unless you have seen his personal brand platform, and under 'Personality' it actually says 'Tosser.' I wonder what the brand essence of Maz would be . . . . hmmmmmmmm;)

yourname00
01-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
But he has put in the transfer request as a bargaining chip to get more money just as AJ did.

It also has aspects of the Routledge issue - the club offer under what the player is worth and his teammates are on and expect him to sign.

AJ is a proven Premiership striker and England international (not proven though) and we're a CCC team, he wasn't born in the area or brought through the clubs youth system.

World of difference between Barton and AJ in my opinion.

GreatGonzo
01-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by yourname00
AJ is a proven Premiership striker and England international (not proven though) and we're a CCC team, he wasn't born in the area or brought through the clubs youth system.

World of difference between Barton and AJ in my opinion.

If i had to pick 1 of the 2 to go to Germany - it wiouldn't be AJ. BArton is a fantasic defender, tackles, creates and scores goals. Trouble is he has Lampard and Gerrard who are both in a sinilar mould.

Barton is a fantastic player (not saying AJ is not) and not suprised he wants to be one of teh highest earners at City as he is probably their most important player. AJ was already our best paid player and still wanted more!

selhurstparkflyer
01-02-2006, 06:26 PM
I like this dvision.

The worry though is that two years after going down we lose our parachute payment which means some of ours stars will have to leave, even if that does, in effect, mean them going for free.

I think Clapham Rover is right. Next season we will go up.

harrison
01-02-2006, 06:37 PM
how can people say that AJ is greedy. If he was greedy he would of gone by now where he would get higher wages and better football in the premiership. But he has chosen to be loyal and stay with palace, making him the opposite to being greedy.

I do not think he will make the world cup this year, but i think he will gain some more international caps for England in the future.

MAFL
01-02-2006, 06:37 PM
If I was Jordan, I wouldnt give more money for signings for Dowie.We have spent alot of money since he took over, with very mixed return player wise.

Young Trolley
01-02-2006, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Riccardo
We will be lucky to get 2.5m for AJ if we don't go up this season.

Don't be so f*cking ridiculous :bash:

JAS78
01-02-2006, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
If i had to pick 1 of the 2 to go to Germany - it wiouldn't be AJ. BArton is a fantasic defender, tackles, creates and scores goals. Trouble is he has Lampard and Gerrard who are both in a sinilar mould.

Barton is a fantastic player (not saying AJ is not) and not suprised he wants to be one of teh highest earners at City as he is probably their most important player. AJ was already our best paid player and still wanted more!

as a Palace fan do you really begrudge paying our star player, 25 grand a week knowing his goals could gets us out of this miserable league? we can easily afford it this season afterall

limited_edition
01-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins
I quite like this division. I'm like SJ. It's a miserable division. Have some ambition, would ya. If teams like Fulham can stay up in the Premiership despite not spending millions and losing their best players, then I don't see why we can't.

Look at Wet Sham a year ago. They were in a worse state than us and still went up. We have to frigging go up this year. Or it'll be a few years of Andrews-type/mates/brother's mate signings or young players played out of position from Dowie to replace departed players. In other words, a few years in this division.

The automatic promotion dream died long, long before last night's defeat. I just hope we don't play a hard to beat side like Preston in the Play Offs.

harrison
01-02-2006, 07:43 PM
People who say the premiership is overrated is talking bollocks because most of the matches are put on Tv and allows for teams to get into Europe. The premiership in my view is one of the most enjoyable leagues in the world to watch because of its high tempo and high physical aspect of the game.
i would want to see palace in the premiership any day.

limited_edition
01-02-2006, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by harrison
People who say the premiership is overrated is talking bollocks because most of the matches are put on Tv and allows for teams to get into Europe. The premiership in my view is one of the most enjoyable leagues in the world to watch because of its high tempo and high physical aspect of the game.
i would want to see palace in the premiership any day. Me too. The only way we will progress us a club such as redeveloping our stadium/getting a new one is if we are an established Premiership side. I mean, what's the point of getting into a Cov or Leicester situation where you've got a great stadium you can't fill it because there's a huge steaming pile of elephant turd being served up on the pitch, week in, week out ? Not to mention losing our best players in seasons to coming as the parachute payments run out.

Chester 76
01-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by limited_edition
I'm like SJ. It's a miserable division. Have some ambition, would ya. If teams like Fulham can stay up in the Premiership despite not spending millions and losing their best players, then I don't see why we can't.

Look at Wet Sham a year ago. They were in a worse state than us and still went up. We have to frigging go up this year. Or it'll be a few years of Andrews-type/mates/brother's mate signings or young players played out of position from Dowie to replace departed players. In other words, a few years in this division.

The automatic promotion dream died long, long before last night's defeat. I just hope we don't play a hard to beat side like Preston in the Play Offs. I think this sums it up, there were many who were arguing that relegation was preferable because it would be far more enjoyable in the Championship. Due to being in the Premiership last season it makes this division a poor substitute.This feeling will gradually weaken as more seasons are spent at this level but the Premiership is the place to be.

DeadPanX
01-02-2006, 09:21 PM
[DeadPanX applauses Limited_Edition's views on this topic as he has read my mind yet again]

hughff
01-02-2006, 09:33 PM
There is no bright side of not going up. If we don't go up that's failure. "There's winning and there's misery."

GreatGonzo
01-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by JAS78
as a Palace fan do you really begrudge paying our star player, 25 grand a week knowing his goals could gets us out of this miserable league? we can easily afford it this season afterall

Yes and no.

I do not mind paying it but it is not in the same league as any of our other players is it. Most took a pay-cut upon relegation and he gets a pay-rise. Not so sure i agree with that.

charles stewart
01-02-2006, 10:18 PM
southend colchester and ipswich all good locals for me

Freddy Kurz
01-02-2006, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
AJ is not good enough to go to the world cup - he is not clinical enough.

He came out with his world cup reasons being the ONLY reason he wanted to leave - then stayed for more money! Joey Barton is doing the same at Man City - it was all an attempt to get more money!

What concrete evidence have you got that Johnson did not genuinely
want to leave at the end of last season, and for the reasons he stated
publicly? Just because you happen to be a natural-born cynic
doesn't mean you are correct in your assertion!

There is absolutely no comparison between Joey Barton's patently
disloyal attitude towards Manchester City and Johnson's declared
ambition to play for England. Just because media pundits and
people influenced by them (like you?) don't think he could do a
useful job at England level, doesn't mean that they are necessarily
right in their assessment nor does it automatically prove as you
seem to suggest that the player doesn't have genuine ambition
and self-belief in his own ability to succeed(already demonstrated
for all to see!)

Johnson has already proved a great many people in the game
wrong about his goal-scoring and other footballing skills
not least the current manager of Birmingham City and
most of the elite footballing correspondents who totally wrote
him off as a potential leading goal-scorer in the Premier League.
Few modern strikers from Division One have ever had such out
standing success in their very first season in the Premier League.

Let us not forget that Johnson came second only to Thierry Henry
among all the leading goal-scorers in the Premier League in 2004/5,
with 21 goals to Henry's 25, with the next best being Pires with
14! And who came after Pires? Defoe, Lampard, Hasselbaink
with 13; then Yakubu, Crouch, Gudjohnson, and Andy Cole with 12!
Let's go on: We come now to Rooney , Robbie Keane, Earnshaw
and Fowler with 11, followed by Drogba, Heskey, Ljunberg and Kevin
Phillips with 10 and finally Shearer 7 and Van Nistelrooy 6!!!

Why do Palace supporters find it so easy to forget the achievements
of one of the finest finishers the Club has ever had?
And wasn't it Johnson who scored the lion's share of the goals that
took us up to the Premier League, and despite serious injury this
season is still our leading League & Cup goal-scorer with 12 goals?

Frankly Gonzo you are not only showing supreme disloyalty and an
insulting attitude to a very fine footballer and decent person, but
a serious lack of judgement, while stabbing your own football team
in the back.

Shame on you!

Raoul Duke
01-02-2006, 11:14 PM
If we don't go up I'd be concerned as to whether Jordan will continue pumping money into the club or just walkaway. He must be very disillusioned as he's spent a fortune this season on players and we haven't shown any consistancy.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
01-02-2006, 11:22 PM
If we don't go up? We have a Palace fan as Chairman who has a few quid but is not unrealistic about our spending, yadda yadda a whole lot of good reasons, come back even stronger next year and win the league etc. not about to go bust, sensible debts even though we don't have our own ground etc...

toucaneagle
01-02-2006, 11:23 PM
If you watch the Centenary DVD, there is an interview with Coppell when he says that when we won the playoff at Wembley against Sheff Utd all he could think about was the upcoming 9 months of pure hell!!!

Freddy Kurz
01-02-2006, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Raoul Duke
If we don't go up I'd be concerned as to whether Jordan will continue pumping money into the club or just walkaway. He must be very disillusioned as he's spent a fortune this season on players and we haven't shown any consistancy.

The recent run of nine games undefeated was an indication that we
were developing some consistency, but, just as Preston saw the need
to strengthen their squad to keep their run of 28 games going, by
bring in Ormerod and another player, Palace, I feel needed two or
three more to fill gaps created by long term injured like Granville,
Butterfield and Riihilahti (who is a long way short of match-fitness).
These could have been loan signings rather than transfers.

We must hope, starting this Saturday the team can get back
to winning ways again. They have every incentive (including
reaching the play-offs) to do so.

More knowledgeable people than I will tell you that Jordan has
NOT been dipping into his personal fortune to buy players.
The club received a sizeable "parachute" payment earlier in
the season, to finance transfers etc. and most players are
now on lower wages since relegation.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
02-02-2006, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Freddy Kurz
More knowledgeable people than I will tell you that Jordan has
NOT been dipping into his personal fortune to buy players.
The club received a sizeable "parachute" payment earlier in
the season, to finance transfers etc. and most players are
now on lower wages since relegation. AJ broke the bank... but I think that it is a very good thing that Jordan has focused on results from his manager and players rather than investment elsewhere. It might mean that we don't go up this season, it might mean that we wallow in the championship for a little while? (although I still think we have a fantastic chance of getting into the Premiership via the playoffs this year) but it does mean that we are solvent and viable and I think Jordan is adamant to prove that despite Noades best efforts to completely screw Palace up on a 'told you so' mandate.

rhiannapaul
02-02-2006, 08:03 PM
if we stay down we will be in big trouble .Aj ,Reich a few others will go and Jordan is skint just take a look at around at our club shite catering shite amenties crap shop low motivated staff ..dont bare thinking about ..

Mad Max
08-03-2006, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by charles stewart
southend colchester and ipswich all good locals for me I thought that now Colchester are falling away.:sob:

Panther
09-03-2006, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by toucaneagle
If you watch the Centenary DVD, there is an interview with Coppell when he says that when we won the playoff at Wembley against Sheff Utd all he could think about was the upcoming 9 months of pure hell!!!

He did, too. I wonder if he'll feel the same come the end of this season?

As for Palace, given that the only way we are likely to go up now is via the play-offs, which gives every one else several weeks start in the transfer market, I can't see how we can create a team good enough to do better in the Prem than last time round. The idea of watching a struggling team "boosted" by a few (mostly) not very good foreign mercenaries doesn't inspire me any more than the thought of another season in the Championship.

As others have said, though, the catch is what will happen to our squad if we don't go up.

limited_edition
09-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Panther
As for Palace, given that the only way we are likely to go up now is via the play-offs, which gives every one else several weeks start in the transfer market, I can't see how we can create a team good enough to do better in the Prem than last time round.Well, West Ham proved you can do it.