PDA

View Full Version : Player Ratings v Cardiff

David Amsalem
04-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Good victory today, was does everybody else think?

Kiraly 7 - two good saves from two Koumas efforts. Clean sheet

Boyce 7 - another good performance from Boyce
Leigertwood 8 - brilliant today. Very assured performance, MOM
Ward 7 - defended well, had a goal wrongly disallowed. AJ WAS in an off-side position but not interfering. Great finish
Hall 5 - a few stray balls, stupid sending off, defending alright though

McAnuff 7 – looked much more creative on the right
Reich 7 – added much needed balance. A few sloppy touches but looked good
Hughes 8 – brilliant today. Didn’t stop running, tackled well and passed well
Aki 7 – quality to see Aki back today, good performance and a good goal

Johnson 7 – looked much sharper and picked up a fantastic assist
Freedman 7 – needed to improve his final ball but did well

How much better did McAnuff look on the right?

A much more balanced team.

Two full backs bombing on, when was the last time we had that?

Only slight criticism I would make today (other then Hall getting sent off) was that there was times when I felt we could have stepped it up a bit. Particulary at 0-0, I felt Cardiff were there for the taking.

macstar
04-02-2006, 06:02 PM
kiraly 7
Boyce 7
Leightwood 7
Ward 7
Hall 6
McAnuff 7
Reich 7
Hughes 7
Aki 8
Johnson 8
Freedman 7

David Amsalem
04-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Happy not to see Soares today macstar? Do you reckon he was injured because he wasn't even on the bench.

Edit: Just saw your Soares thread...

Ben H
04-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by David Amsalem

Ward 7 - defended well, had a goal wrongly disallowed. AJ WAS in an off-side position but not interfering. Great finish

McAnuff 7 – looked much more creative on the right
Reich 7 – added much needed balance. A few sloppy touches but looked good
Hughes 8 – brilliant today. Didn’t stop running, tackled well and passed well
Aki 7 – quality to see Aki back today, good performance and a good goal

Johnson 7 – looked much sharper and picked up a fantastic assist
Freedman 7 – needed to improve his final ball but did well

Only slight criticism I would make today (other then Hall getting sent off) was that there was times when I felt we could have stepped it up a bit. Particulary at 0-0, I felt Cardiff were there for the taking.

Strange that you think Leigertwood was brilliant. Most of the people around me thought he was poor.

All in all, a good team performance. Cardiff clearly came for the point playing 6/7 behind the ball most of the time. When we scored they had to come forward but didn't really have too many ideas. Big, horrible and ugly they were.

limited_edition
04-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Happy not to see Soares today macstar? Do you reckon he was injured because he wasn't even on the bench. Reckon he was dropped along with Hudson. Harsh on Hudson not even to make the bench.

Selhurst Guy
Considering he was out of position Leigertwood had a brilliant game.

c_block_lad
McAnuff and Reich started lively but faded out as the game went on.

David Amsalem
04-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Ben H
Strange that you think Leigertwood was brilliant. Most of the people around me thought he was poor.

Really? I think that is utter madness.

Heb 7:4
Not going to do scores, but that was our best midfield out there today and it showed. First time in a long time we've been so good in the middle

spunky
Originally posted by macstar
kiraly 7
Boyce 7
Leightwood 7
Ward 7
Hall 6
McAnuff 7
Reich 7
Hughes 7
Aki 8
Johnson 8
Freedman 7

I agree with all of these, team played well as a unit defended strongly, Jobi was very unlucky not to score in the first half, i have no idea how he managed to hit the bar

macstar
04-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Happy not to see Soares today macstar? Do you reckon he was injured because he wasn't even on the bench.

Edit: Just saw your Soares thread...

Yes, glad he wasn't playing and it showed. Should've finished cardiff off though in the first half (ref was a **** aswell).

I wouldve given him a place on the bench, so i was surprised he wasn't even there. Maybe just rested and will be back for the FA cup game......(hope he doesn't start though!!!).

Thanet Eagle
04-02-2006, 06:09 PM
A good performance although we should have killed the game off and been more ruthless in front of goal. Honourable mentions to Aki (MOM),Hughsie and Boycie.

macstar
04-02-2006, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by spunky
I agree with all of these, team played well as a unit defended strongly, Jobi was very unlucky not to score in the first half, i have no idea how he managed to hit the bar

Thanx. Love you too.!!!!

Would've given Fitz a 7 had he not been sent off. Apart from a slip-up in the first half with Ward, he was pretty good today.:hi:

BringBackSasa
04-02-2006, 06:10 PM
Kiraly 6

Boyce 7
Leigertwood 8 - I think I know where he's been going wrong previously. He thought he was right-footed. MOM (was Ben H sitting with Cardiff?)
Ward 7
Hall 4

McAnuff 7
Reich 6
Hughes 7
Aki 7

Johnson 6
Freedman 6

Sherman
04-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Much better team performance than of late with good balance throughout the team. Leigertwood was the most convincing left back we have fielded since Granville was injured.

Concerns would be about converting pressure into genuine chances.

TheCharmer
04-02-2006, 06:11 PM
did boyce play left back? and Leighterwood on the right?

Amazing that we play better, when we have players playing in their natural positions.

spunky
04-02-2006, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by TheCharmer
did boyce play left back? and Leighterwood on the right?

Amazing that we play better, when we have players playing in their natural positions.

Nah boyce RB and Leigertwood LB untill Hall got sent off then Boyce went CB Leigertwood to RB and Borrowdale LB

James
04-02-2006, 06:15 PM
As soon as I saw the Teamsheet, I knew we were in for an entertaining game - and so it proved.

My MotM was Hughes by a county mile. He was fantastic today - and what energy for an old man! It was good to see Aki back - and scoring.

Brett
04-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Cardiff only really looked like scoring when Leggy and Hall gifted them the ball in danger areas.

Excellent performance, otherwise. Proof that we need the solid and experienced central midfield. We looked the best and most assured team in this league, today.

screamingalice
04-02-2006, 06:18 PM
We looked a much better balanced team today. Midfield hit them further up the pitch than of late which helped keep the pressure of the defence. A.J. and Dougie battled well against a hard strong defence.

Aki was great and Leggy was very good at left back IMHO we should stick to the full backs as it was today until Danny G is fit.

We looked dangerous with two real wingers and against a team that wants to play rather tham just brick up their defence we would have had more chances.

Only bad point was Hall getting himself sent off at a crucial time which lifetd them, if we had 11 on the pitch I am sure we would have scored one or two more in the last ten, they looked beaten until one size opened his mouth!

Please Mr Dowie stick with this formation even on Tuesday, we need to get into a good run and the way to that is consistancy

Well done lads today, 3 points well fought for.

Brett
04-02-2006, 06:20 PM
AJ and Dougie look good together.

Cardiff were shocking. Just how negative were they? Their 'keeper was taking forever with goalkicks as early as five minutes in. Awful, turgid stuff.

Matt25
04-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Great game today. Me and my cousin were at the back of the Arfur singing along, best game i've ever been to atmosphere-wise.

Ollie Ox
04-02-2006, 06:24 PM
It was fantastic to see a midfield that can keep the ball and create chances, we also looked very lively up front. I still have concerns about some of our defending though. Would love to see Boyce Ward Hudson Granville there.

danibutcher
04-02-2006, 06:25 PM
Kiraly 7

Boyce 7
Hall 6
Ward 8
Leigertwood 8

Macanuff 7
Aki 9
Hughes 8
Reich 8

Dougie 8
AJ 8

One of the best perfomances of the season, on par with the Reading game.

OneSize
04-02-2006, 06:28 PM
im amazed by some of those comments, i thought Hughes was by far the worst player on the pitch. bad passing, only a couple of tackles and was no attackign threat whatsoever.

Watson in for Hughes next game and i think we will have stimbled across our best XI

Nelson Muntz
04-02-2006, 06:29 PM
We had two men in central midfield today and it showed. The fellas out wide looked dangerous too. Play the youngsters in the FA Cup game and save Hughes and Aki for league games
Dowie played our strongest midfield today and it showed.
AJ & Doug played well together as well.
May post full points when I get more time. (As if anybody cares).

the elusive k
04-02-2006, 06:33 PM
I think Aki was the difference between the teams today. He was everywhere, making blocks closing players down and playing the simple ball. Easily the MOM for me.
AJ did brilliantly to get to the ball to set up the goal.
Reich had an excellent spell for 10 or 15 minutes in the middle of the second half when he looked real quality.
Leigertwood did a hell of a lot better than I was expecting.
The defence looked pretty solid for most of the game.

Should AJ have had a penalty in the first half when the ref gave a corner?

The scarf waving song needs a lot of work. From the back of Block C it sounded like a bunch of particularly tuneless Millwall fans doing it. See P.Hep's links to some sound files on the "bring a scarf to Palace" thread to see how it should be done.

Freddy Kurz
04-02-2006, 06:33 PM
Koumas now anybody? Not for me thanks after today's performance.

Mong!
04-02-2006, 06:34 PM
Leigertwood played great today considering well out of position. Where are the boo boys today?

James
04-02-2006, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by OneSize
im amazed by some of those comments, i thought Hughes was by far the worst player on the pitch. bad passing, only a couple of tackles and was no attackign threat whatsoever.

Watson in for Hughes next game and i think we will have stimbled across our best XI I am a very big Watson fan - but you must be kidding about Hughes. He was brilliant this afternoon. What game were you watching?

OneSize
04-02-2006, 06:40 PM
imo if watson had the ball in the areas hughes had today, we would have been a much bigger threat and would probably have scored more than the 1.

its all opinions though, its just that imo hughes should retire to the bench

kolinkins
04-02-2006, 06:44 PM
Very good performance. Aki and hughes are the way forward. hughes brushes aside the myth that he doesnt have the legs - he was non-stop for 90 minutes.

Kiraly 7 - assured

Boyce 7 - defended well, went forward well, varied cutting in and going outside

Hall/Ward 7 - One and the same. Both mixed up the good with the bad, but did their primary job of defending well. Glad to see Hall starting to grab the strikers waist rather than around their chest. thats the difference between conceding a free-kick and not. Ward lost Jerome a little too easily at times.

Leggy 7 - A couple of poor moments, mainly on his left foot. Other than that, covered ground well, defended well, went forward very well

Joel 7 - Apart from the awful miss, he played well, went forward with purpose and looked determined. Defended well as well. Closed down a lot of channels

Hues/Aki 8 - MenOM. what a combination. they arent the same without each other, and we arent the same without them. Ran the show

Reich 5 - shame to give a 5 today, but I thought he was awful. Gave the ball away easily, slowed the game down too much. Couple of promising signs though

Dougie 6 - Decent. Still dont think there is a partnership there with AJ, but Dougie was a good link today between midfield and AJ. also worked hard

AJ 8 - the AJ of old. Chased lost causes, looked for the loose ball. Determined and scared Cardiff. Great assist.

subs:

not on for long enough

Dowie - got it spot on today.

Cardiff - didnt offer much, but mainly because we were so professional. Jerome looks a good player for the future.

Ruskin Old Boy
04-02-2006, 06:45 PM
How good was it to have a balanced team for once.

Reich, Aki, Hughes and McAnuff were excellent across the middle. Hard to believe Cardiff are only just behind us in the table, shame we couldn't have finished them off early on when we missed too many chances. No matter, Aki scored after great work by AJ. Aki should be playing as often as possible.

Great also to see Boycey playing in his proper position, well done Leggy for putting in a (more or less) composed performance. Ward and Hall were competent until the latter rather foolishly got himself sent off.

For once some thought had gone into our substitutions, breaking up the Cardiff pressure.

But where do these refs come from? Nothing going for Palace and the lino with the yellow flag might just as well have had a yellow shirt he was so partial towards Cardiff.

LLCOOLSTEVE
04-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Hughes was ok, but didnt have a damn clue what to do with the ball when he got it, no idea.

kolinkins
04-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE
Hughes was ok, but didnt have a damn clue what to do with the ball when he got it, no idea.

I thought that was more to do with Reich than anything else.

Nelson Muntz
04-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
the lino with the yellow flag might just as well have had a yellow shirt he was so partial towards Cardiff.
Unusual to see the lino's to the right of the goalkeepers and not on the left.
Darren Purse clapped a non-existant lino and Kiraly kept looking to his left as well.

jordanismygod
04-02-2006, 06:52 PM

That's because they had 3 midfielders in his face when he did.

<_tece_>
04-02-2006, 06:54 PM
A lot of people have given Fitz low ratings? Why?

Except for the sending off, he kept Jerome quiet for the whole game whilst he was on. On top of this, he pretty much won everything in the air against Jerome (who, it must be said, looks like he could become a very good player). Defensively, he was never at fault; except for their 'goal,' which was a foul/offside anyway.

OneSize
04-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by jordanismygod
That's because they had 3 midfielders in his face when he did.
it wasnt, its because he cant pass for shit

David Amsalem
04-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by <_tece_>

Except for the sending off

Yeah, but you cannot exclude his sending off hence low marks. It could have cost us.

kolinkins
04-02-2006, 06:56 PM

Except for the sending off, he kept Jerome quiet for the whole game whilst he was on. On top of this, he pretty much won everything in the air against Jerome (who, it must be said, looks like he could become a very good player). Defensively, he was never at fault; except for their 'goal,' which was a foul/offside anyway.

Agree.

jordanismygod
04-02-2006, 06:57 PM
it wasnt, its because he cant pass for shit

Oh, right:rolleyes:

James
Hughes was ok, but didnt have a damn clue what to do with the ball when he got it, no idea. It never ceases to amaze me how we can all watch the same game, and yet come to such diametrically opposed opinions on the game (and the performance of individual players).

I can’t remember a single misplaced pass from Hughes. His energy was incredible for an ‘old’ man, He ran his heart out – yet looked completely composed on the ball.

I’m not going to enter into a Hughes v Watson debate, because I like them both. However to suggest that Hughes didn’t play an enormous part in today’s win seems ridiculous to me.

Clapham Grand
Best performance in some time - no coincidence that given 10 out of 11 players were playing in their correct positions for once. We dominated the game and should have won by more

Kiraly 7 - hardly anything to do
Leigertwood 8 - superb LB, quickly recovered any mistakes he made
Hall 6 - point off for the sending off whatever he did
Ward 8 - very solid. Also a superb left-foot volley finish for the goal that was disallowed for AJ offside
Boyce 8 - Mr. Consistency does it again. Particularly impressive when coming forward
McAnuff 7 - ran the game in the first 20 minutes, no-one could get the ball off hi.m Terrible miss from 2 yards out, and faded in second half
Reich 7- looked a little unfit to me, he was shattered after 60 minutes. He looks lazy at imes but sometimes his first touch and passing were worth the admission fee alone. Urged the crowd to get louder in the second half
Aki 9 MOM - absolutely superb. He is the link between the back 4 and midfield we have been lacking. He either tackles or picks up the loose ball and quicly and accurately plays the ball forward. And a great finish for the goal. The crwod went bananas when he scored, he MUST be offered a new contract
Hughes 8 - I thought he did well, and looked good with Aki. I bet you Soares or Watson will start instead of him on Tuesday though
AJ 8 - some of his first touches were superb. Looked like another pen not given when bundled over in the first half. Tireless running, and went past 4 players to get to byeline to set up goal. Superb
Doug 7 - AJ and Doug link up well together. I just think Macken offers a little more when the ball is being hoofed up to the front 2 though
Subs:
Borrowdale 7 - solid
Watson & Clint n/a only on for a minute or so

Well done ID for at last picking a team that can perform. More of the same please!

Braders
04-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Freddy Kurz
Koumas now anybody? Not for me thanks after today's performance.

Agreed Koumas did not play well today(thank god),but would still like to have him in our squad.:p

Clapham Grand
04-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Nelson Muntz
We had two men in central midfield today and it showed. The fellas out wide looked dangerous too. Play the youngsters in the FA Cup game and save Hughes and Aki for league games

You won't have noticed if you sit in the Whitehorse, but soon after the goal the camera zoomed in on your Finnish flag!:lux:

LLCOOLSTEVE
04-02-2006, 07:01 PM
Btw, generous free kick awarded on Dougie in the lead up to our goal, only AJ could have made made that run and pull back. He was quiet and having quite a poor game up until then, but he did brilliantly to get there and pull it back.

Stonewall pen 5 mins in aswell.

Ollie Ox
04-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Unusual to see the lino's to the right of the goalkeepers and not on the left.
Darren Purse clapped a non-existant lino and Kiraly kept looking to his left as well.

I found it really annoying, o kept looking to the wrong side

Rumplestiltskin
04-02-2006, 07:02 PM
gabor- 8 excellent at releasing the ball early to set up attacks

leggy- 8 awesome MOM
Ward-7 Unlucky not to be on scoresheet
Hall-4 hoofed, slipped, punched... sent off. must improve
Boyce-7 comfortable
Reich-6 slightly off the pace IMO
Hughes-7 some fancy stuff, didn't stop running
McAnuff-8 best performance for ages.. more of the same please
AJ-7 wasnt a pen in first half, good assist mustnt go down so easily though, I could see he wsa going for a pen in first half the min he ran onto the ball
Freedman-7 played well

subs
Borrowdale-6 looked bigger
watson-5 no time
morrison- see watson

Rumplestiltskin
04-02-2006, 07:04 PM
missed aki... 8 great game great celebration, good to see him back

Martouf
04-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Rumplestiltskin
gabor- 8 excellent at releasing the ball early to set up attacks

leggy- 8 awesome MOM
Ward-7 Unlucky not to be on scoresheet
Hall-4 hoofed, slipped, punched... sent off. must improve
Boyce-7 comfortable
Reich-6 slightly off the pace IMO
Hughes-7 some fancy stuff, didn't stop running
McAnuff-8 best performance for ages.. more of the same please
AJ-7 wasnt a pen in first half, good assist mustnt go down so easily though, I could see he wsa going for a pen in first half the min he ran onto the ball
Freedman-7 played well

subs
Borrowdale-6 looked bigger
watson-5 no time
morrison- see watson
You have forgotten the scorer. :)

Santos-er
04-02-2006, 07:05 PM

Maybe because his distribution, as ever, was utter shite. To be fair he did keep Jerome quiet, but then again Jerome was up front on his own most of the game.

pedro
04-02-2006, 07:06 PM
You my friend are delusional. he played ok I grant you but MOM over either Hughes or Aki never.

Bobsta
04-02-2006, 07:06 PM
imo if watson had the ball in the areas hughes had today, we would have been a much bigger threat and would probably have scored more than the 1.

its all opinions though, its just that imo hughes should retire to the bench

BSE?

Santos-er
04-02-2006, 07:07 PM
Aki was absolutely superb today. He was everywhere. And - Leigertwood, Watson take note - he can pass the ball FORWARD and to a team mate!

OneSize
04-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Bobsta
BSE?
huh?

<_tece_>
04-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Santos-er
Maybe because his distribution, as ever, was utter shite. To be fair he did keep Jerome quiet, but then again Jerome was up front on his own most of the game.

I only remember him hitting one long ball astray in the first half. Am I wrong?

moi
04-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Palace homepage says:

MATCH REPORTS PALACE 2-0 CARDIFF

did i miss something?

Santos-er
04-02-2006, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Rumplestiltskin

leggy- 8 awesome MOM

He had a reasonable game. But once again, two or three mistakes that could have cost us.

I'm all for voicing an opinion, so please explain why you think he was awesome :D

Santos-er
04-02-2006, 07:11 PM

3 that I can recall off the top of my head. 2 out of play and one straight through to the keeper.

Barnstormer
04-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Maybe because his distribution, as ever, was utter #####. To be fair he did keep Jerome quiet, but then again Jerome was up front on his own most of the game.

I though Fitz Hall today was the only player below a 7

Distribution awful. Doesn't look as stolid with Ward as Hudson or Popovic

Got sent off

OneSize
04-02-2006, 07:14 PM
cant believe anyone is questioning fitz's defending ability today, he done everything right, jerome got nothing out of him and there wasnt as many hoofs as people are letting on, a couple of them were clearences just getting it up the other end of the pitch.

Freddy Kurz
04-02-2006, 07:15 PM

Watson in for Hughes next game and i think we will have stimbled across our best XI

Couldn't disagree more. Thought Hughes was the most influential
midfielder in the game in both defence and attack, with Riihilahti as
an outstanding partner.

He was the essential link between our defence and forwards and was
the instigator of numerous attacks in each half.

Oh yes! And he made the odd mistake from time to time (like every
-one else) but it's impossible to make an omelette without breaking
eggs.....

OneSize
04-02-2006, 07:18 PM
ok, im on my own then about hughes...but i cant remember 1 forward pass. especially when he the more advanced of the 2, he should be looking for more than just sideways passes

Brett
04-02-2006, 07:19 PM
ok, im on my own then about hughes...but i cant remember 1 forward pass. especially when he the more advanced of the 2, he should be looking for more than just sideways passes

Yep especially when it's better to lose possession because you want to pass forwards for forwards sake when a simple sideways balls keep it Palace.

OneSize
04-02-2006, 07:23 PM
haha, these board is a hughes love in, ill just leave it from now on :P

mazammit
04-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Thanet Eagle
A good performance although we should have killed the game off and been more ruthless in front of goal. Honourable mentions to Aki (MOM),Hughsie and Boycie.

I agree with that, but I think Leigertwood was MOM. Aki was good, but not great.

David Amsalem
04-02-2006, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by pedro
You my friend are delusional. he played ok I grant you but MOM over either Hughes or Aki never.

I also gave Hughes an 8 but as Leigertwood was out of position, he edged MOM. As for Aki, he played well and scored, but Leigertwood shone today.

Unfortunately, people like you, already make your mind up about players before the match even starts.

Palaceboy222
04-02-2006, 07:34 PM

i agree with your second sentance (bar Granville in for Leggy if he ever gets fit) but i think Hughes v good today and i'm not really a Hughes fan

I also wouldnt be disapointed with either aki or Leggy in our first 11 as the holding midfielder

RDSdaEAGLE
04-02-2006, 07:42 PM
My observations...

We had a midfield today. It wasn't just Hughes and Aki, but Marco and Jobi give us excellent balance on the wings, they caused Cardiff alot of problems. Its great to see Marco back, he was excellent today.

I still don't think Dougie and AJ work as a partnership enough. AJ does his own thing, Dougie does his own thing. It worked today though.

AJ's run was so brilliant, 3 defenders skinned like they weren't there, then an excellent cross for Aki to convert. Aki did really well to get there too.

Cardiff? Well, if I was to compare Jerome to someone, it would be Michael Ricketts. Very similar build, very similar style. Darren Purse is an absolutely awful footballer. Koumas was kept quiet by a tenacious midfield but did quite well when he had some space.

A good result today that opens up the gap.

GSG cpfc
04-02-2006, 07:43 PM
He had a reasonable game. But once again, two or three mistakes that could have cost us.

I'm all for voicing an opinion, so please explain why you think he was awesome :D

Tackled hard, out muscled, used his left foot (unlike Boyce), looked comfortable going forward, spread the play, won headers, good distribution, shall I stop or have people like me who thought Leigertwood had a very good game made our point clear. You Leigertwood boo boys havnt a clue about the game of football and would be better off spending Saturday afternoons in a shopping centre.

Learn to understand what you are watching on the pitch and then you can make a valid post.

LLCOOLSTEVE
04-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE

I still don't think Dougie and AJ work as a partnership enough. AJ does his own thing, Dougie does his own thing. It worked today though.

LOL :)

GSG cpfc
04-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Unfortunately, people like you, already make your mind up about players before the match even starts. [/B][/QUOTE]

Agree 100%. People around me saying Leigertwood hasnt got a clue 2 minutes into the game! To be honest they are obviously the ones that havnt got a clue.

RDSdaEAGLE
04-02-2006, 07:47 PM
LOL :)

Is that in agreement? :D

kolinkins
04-02-2006, 07:47 PM
My observations...

. Its great to see Marco back, he was excellent today..

I really cant agree with that. I thought he demanded the ball, which was good, but all too often, did nothing with it, and lost it. I also thought at times when we just needed him to bomb it down theline, he slowed the play down. but there were some good signs there

Agree with this. Most of dougie's good work was with his back to AJ. Most of AJ's good work was 30 yeards away from Dougie.

RDSdaEAGLE
04-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins
I really cant agree with that. I thought he demanded the ball, which was good, but all too often, did nothing with it, and lost it. I also thought at times when we just needed him to bomb it down theline, he slowed the play down. but there were some good signs there

I think he's still a bit rusty. But he showed some lovely touches today which took two or three players out of his way. A 100% fit Reich will be like a whole new signing.

GSG cpfc
04-02-2006, 07:51 PM
cant believe anyone is questioning fitz's defending ability today, he done everything right, jerome got nothing out of him and there wasnt as many hoofs as people are letting on, a couple of them were clearences just getting it up the other end of the pitch. [B]

He was f***ing s**t as per usual. All he does is hoof it up the pitch straight to one of the opposition players. Thank God hes suspended for 3 games. I can gurantee though that he will get straight back into the team after his ban, even if we win all three games. Dowies affraid to drop him.

LLCOOLSTEVE
04-02-2006, 07:52 PM
1st half was crap, mainly due to how negative Cardiff were

Brett
04-02-2006, 07:54 PM
I think he's still a bit rusty. But he showed some lovely touches today which took two or three players out of his way. A 100% fit Reich will be like a whole new signing.

He doesn't even have to move save for dropping his shoulder and he's sent the crowd the wrong way as well.

The bloke is class. Just clearly lacking match sharpness following a fairly lengthy lay-off.

OneSize
04-02-2006, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by GSG cpfc
[B]

He was f***ing s**t as per usual. All he does is hoof it up the pitch straight to one of the opposition players. Thank God hes suspended for 3 games. I can gurantee though that he will get straight back into the team after his ban, even if we win all three games. Dowies affraid to drop him.
ok read the first line i wrote again...

cant believe anyone is questioning fitz's DEFENDING ABILITY today

kolinkins
04-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Brett
He doesn't even have to move save for dropping his shoulder and he's sent the crowd the wrong way as well.

The bloke is class. Just clearly lacking match sharpness following a fairly lengthy lay-off.

that's probably it in fairness to him. Maybe I have been harsh. Would sometime just like him to drive forward more, but maybe he just isnt that sort of player. Like I said, there were signs of good things to come.

p4penny
04-02-2006, 08:06 PM
Gabor 8
Boyce 7
Hall 6
Leggy 9
Ward 8
Hughes 8
Aki 9
Reich 7
Jobi 7
Dougie 7
AJ 8

alaneagle
04-02-2006, 08:10 PM
i think hall is good.... but hudson ward and poppa are better than him
he doesn't win as much in the air, has poor discipline and distribution and isnt very good in a one on one situation (look at what happened with jerome's disallowed goal, which looked ok to me)

jan
04-02-2006, 08:12 PM
The buzz that went around the Stanley Stephenson lounge when the team was named was great. Great team selection ID should stick with that team all the time.

OneSize
04-02-2006, 08:12 PM
id say fitz is our best one on one central defender. for jeromes offside goal, i thorught it was a clear foul and fitz was well in control of the situation.

GSG cpfc
04-02-2006, 08:13 PM
ok read the first line i wrote again...

cant believe anyone is questioning fitz's DEFENDING ABILITY today

Luckily we didnt have much defending to do today because they had nothing up front. I can remember two occasions though when instead of playing it out and being safe he teried to play it up pitch and both times it went straight to Koumas and put them on the attack.

Whats the first rule of defending? If in doubt kick it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This obviously doesnt apply to Fitz. PRAT!!!!!!!!!

OneSize
04-02-2006, 08:17 PM
ok, so the bloke gets a stand ful of abuse when he hits it long, when he wins a header and a cardiff player gets the 2nd ball, when he hits it into the stand, when he DOESNT hit into the stand...whats the bloke supposed to do?

Brett
I don't rate Fitz as a central defender but he had a very good game today. Only black marks were passing to Cardiff instead of finding row Z - twice - and his over reliance on the long ball when he had time and space.

He kept Jerome quiet, harried when he had to and jumped in when he had to. Bar the two occasions when he should have made touch, his decision making was vastly improved.

spunky
Im surprised nobody has had a moan about Wards goal being dissallowed, it was ruled out for offside, AJ was offside but running back onside and didnt interfere with play in my opinion and the goal wasnt given.

And the first pen shout we had? What was everyone elses view on it? i was in the holmesdale so didnt have a very good view but it looked stonewall to me

<_tece_>
04-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Personally, I think Fitz is one of our three most important players when on top form.

LLCOOLSTEVE
04-02-2006, 08:19 PM

Stonewall pen 5 mins in aswell.

david sylvian
04-02-2006, 08:24 PM
kiraly7
boyce 8
hall 6
ward 7
leggy 8

maccannnnuff 8
aki 8
hughes 7
reich 8

freedman 7
johnson 7

macacanauff ran at their defence and it was great
reich's touch is SUBLIME

we just need to more ruthless cos we created quite a lot today

Palace Don
04-02-2006, 08:25 PM
It is so great to see Aki back, we missed him

EddieEdwards
04-02-2006, 08:25 PM
And the first pen shout we had? What was everyone elses view on it? i was in the holmesdale so didnt have a very good view but it looked stonewall to me I sit at the front of the Whitehorse right in line with where that tackle was made and I wasn't shouting for a penalty. The defender got the ball - only just got his toe onto it, but he got it. It's fair to say, though, that a number of gentlemen sitting around me did not share this opinion. :D

palace_burger
04-02-2006, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Barnstormer
I though Fitz Hall today was the only player below a 7

Distribution awful. Doesn't look as stolid with Ward as Hudson or Popovic

Got sent off

Jerome would have murdered Hudson and Popovic with his pace.

Fitz had a good game, the odd mistake, but his pace let him recover.

Silly sending off. Poor distribution at times, but much less so than in previous games, so this is improving, also having two wingers, means the back four can play it accross the defense and forward into midfeild via the wings.

When we dont have this the defence gives the ball to Fitz to use his cultured right foot to stick it into the first row of the stand!

For the Cardiff 'goal' I initially said 'well done Fitz' but he then gave it away, from where i was it didn't look like much of a foul, I would be interested in someone who had a better view or was it offside?

palace_burger
04-02-2006, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Freddy Kurz
Couldn't disagree more. Thought Hughes was the most influential
midfielder in the game in both defence and attack, with Riihilahti as
an outstanding partner.

He was the essential link between our defence and forwards and was
the instigator of numerous attacks in each half.

Oh yes! And he made the odd mistake from time to time (like every
-one else) but it's impossible to make an omelette without breaking
eggs.....

Hughes work rate was good, he got up and down well. In the last ten minutes when we were a man down he was on great form, just running with the ball, taking it away from danger and running the clock down. He tackled ad tackled.

His passing wasn;t great, in fact there were a couple times when he hit a ball on the turn to no one. To be fair if it had come off it would have been a great ball, I guess the thing is that if Watson had done the exact same he would have been slaughtered by some!

<_tece_>
04-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by palace_burger
...having two wingers, means the back four can play it accross the defense and forward into midfeild via the wings.

When we dont have this the defence give the ball to Fitz to use his cultured right foot to stick it into the first row of the stand!

Good point.

palace_burger
04-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by palace_burger
Jerome would have murdered Hudson and Popovic with his pace.

Fitz had a good game, the odd mistake, but his pace let him recover.

Silly sending off. Poor distribution at times, but much less so than in previous games, so this is improving, also having two wingers, means the back four can play it accross the defense and forward into midfield via the wings.

When we dont have this the defence gives the ball to Fitz to use his cultured right foot to stick it into the first row of the stand!

For the Cardiff 'goal' I initially said 'well done Fitz' but he then gave it away, from where i was it didn't look like much of a foul, I would be interested in someone who had a better view or was it offside?

stevey_d
04-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Kiraly 7 - good performance again

Boyce 8- Yet another great display. Good to see him at right back
Hall 6- Handled Jerome well, but stupid sending off
Ward 7 - Looked fairly solid
Leggy 6- Good game for his standards

Reich 8- made a big difference having him today
HUGHES 8- controlled the middle
Aki 8- good to see him back, good performance capped with goal
Jobi 7- tricky down the wing again

Freedman 7- kept the ball well
AJ 7- great run for the goal

Chester 76

I still don't think Dougie and AJ work as a partnership enough. AJ does his own thing, Dougie does his own thing.
I agree with this, when these two play up front, Johnson often has to drop deeper than normal.

SpikeyMatt
Király - 7 - Handling was reasonably good, distribution quite good too. Pretty standard performance.

Boyce - 8 - Dowie's best ever signing. So strong, quick and solid. Got forward well and absolutely nothing got past him.

Ward - 7 - Kept Cameron Jerome quiet. Won his headers and distributed sensibly.

Hall - 6 - Would've been an 7 was it not for his silly sending off. Again, kept CJ quiet, covered and swept up well. Tidy.

Leigertwood - 8 - Out of position. Didn't show though! An excellent game for Leggy, solid, quick and strong, got forward quite well too!

McAnuff - 7 - Reasonably good game for Jobi. Cardiff were doubling up on him for much of the game so he was pressurised all the time. Did well under the circumstances.

Riihilahti - 7 - Solid in the midfield, outnumbered in the middle due to Cardiff's 4-5-1 but Palace came out on top through Aki [and Hughesy's] hard work. Nice finish too. Right place, right time.

Hughes - 7 - I thought a guy of 73 years young wasn't meant to motor on for 90 minutes? Hughesy did! Broke up play and worked hard with Aki in the middle.

Reich - 6 - Not 100%. Wore the wrong type of studs too, was slipping everywhere in the first half! Needs time to get back used to things. Reluctant to pass, but when he did, they were ones of immense quality.

Johnson - 7 - Ran, and ran, and ran......and ran. Worked his socks off to little avail. However, his assist for the goal was absolutely excellent, pace, skill and vision to set Aki up for the easiest of finishes.

Freedman - 6 - Virtual spectator. Didn't create an awful lot, some nice interplay on the edge of the area, but all too infrequent for my liking. Doesn't work with AJ, and today showed it (again).

Other thoughts:

* Looked so much more of a balanced side with two natural wingers.

* Kept the ball well for much of the game. Didn't really allow Cardiff too much time on it either, resulting in them playing hoof-ball to CJ.

* Outplayed Cardiff in the middle of the park. Were outnumbered 3-to-2 but that didn't show. The old engine room of two seasons ago worked a treat, nice to see.

* Cardiff were awfully negative. Came for a point and didn't get it, and rightly so - how they're in 7th is anyone's guess. Goalkeeper's distribution was abysmal.

All's good, needed the 3 points, I'm happy.

PengeEagle
04-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Kiraly - 7
Boyce - 6
Leigertwood - 7
Ward - 7
Hall - 4
McAnuff - 7
Reich -7
Hughes - 8
Aki - 8
Johnson -7
Freedman - 6

Chester 76
04-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Good to see us play with two wingers.

Kiraly 6 Couple of saves
Boyce 6 Far more comfortable at right back
Hall 3 Silly retaliation for the sending off which lowers the mark(otherwise 6).However he was let down a couple of times by our central midfielders. Hall had the ball,whilst Hughes & Riihilahti raced up field to join our front two. It`s no wonder he has to hoof the ball upfield if they do that.
Ward 6 Solid relatively comfortable game
Leigertwood 7 Out of position bit did a lot better than many expected.His passing was also better.
McAnuff 6 Promises more than he delivers, hit the bar in the first half.
Hughes 6 Best game for a while but I would prefer Watson there, specifically to alleviate the need for the defensive hoof.
Riihilahti 7 Great to see him return & score.
Reich 6 Clearly not match fit but offers us far more.
Johnson 7 Great run for the goal & scares championship defences
Freedman 5 It doesn`t work with Johnson

Away
04-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Didn't see the game, but reading this I'm starting to think:

AJ was out for a couple of months
we've spent most of the season without Granville
we've spent long periods with both natural wingers injured
we've been heavily reliant on two promising second-string midfielders in Soares and Watson whose game will improve in time

But we're still in a play-off position. On our day, with a first choice team of fit players playing in position, could we be the strongest contenders for the playoffs?

2can
04-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Kiraly - 7 - Didn't have much to do. Saved some awkward shots from long distance.
Boyce - 7 - MOM - Had a great game, I thought
Hall - 5 - Played well, but stupidly sent off. Better than Hudson.
Ward - 6 - Solid game from Ward, scared Cardiff when he went forward.
Leigertwood - 6 - Looked good at left back.
McAnuff - 4 - No end product
Hughes - 5 - An average game for Hughes.
Riihilahti - 6 - Had a brilliant first half but tired. Good positioning for the goal though!
Reich - 4 - Didn't contribute much, but didnt do much wrong either.
Johnson - 5 - Quieter game
Freedman - 5 - Linked up better with Johnson than Morrison did.

We deserved to win, played some nice football at times and never looked like conceding. However, Cardiff were very poor, so that isn't saying much.

eddieskyclad
04-02-2006, 09:38 PM
Reading the ratings you'd think we dominated the game... is that actually the case as on the radio it came across as a very drab affair with neither side creating very many chances and the reports on the web seem to suggest we were a little lucky.

SpikeyMatt
04-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by eddieskyclad
Reading the ratings you'd think we dominated the game... is that actually the case as on the radio it came across as a very drab affair with neither side creating very many chances and the reports on the web seem to suggest we were a little lucky.

Cardiff came out with the intention of getting a point, they hoofed long balls to Cameron Jerome for much of the afternoon and created very little.

They tried to pack the midfield with five against our four but we came out on top - it was just our invention in the final third against a packed Cardiff penalty area [at least 8 yellow shirts most of the time] that let us down.

We deserved the win in my opinion.

Away
04-02-2006, 09:42 PM
AJ + Dougie. My pick as individuals, but people have said they play on their own when they're together. I thought against Reading Macken was really trying hard to work with AJ. Perhaps he has the most potential as a foil. We know Dougie and Morrison play well together. People have said AJ is not the be all and end all for the team. What if they played as regular pairings, dropping AJ/Macken occasionally, but playing them together regularly to develop a relationship. Macken should have the ability at this level.

Absolution
04-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Kiraly 7 - Had almost nothing to do but when called upon was solid

Boyce 7 - Looked far more solid back on the right side of defence didn't put a foot wrong

Hall 5 - Simply for the red card his rating has gone down from a 7... not exactly sure what the red card was for but its one he shouldn't have got, was like Sorondo's last season against Soton.

Ward 7 - Great finish wrongly disallowed otherwise good game

Leigertwood 7 - Did well out of postion and really didn't do too much wrong would be tempted to give him an 8 for playing at LB but I wont..

McAnuff 7 - Should have scored the chance in the first half, quieter second half but I think that was down to the way the team was playing as well as his contribution.

Hughes 8 - Great run near the end of the game. Generally battled well and passed the ball well.

Aki 9 - Maybe a bit generous a rating but he was the difference today along with Reich but he did get the winning goal aswell. First time I've seen Palace consistantly win the second ball in ages it seems was in the first half and Aki was the difference. Hopefully he will continue to improve in form and will be vital for the rest of the season mark my words.

Reich 7 - Great to see him back showed his casual skills and gave balance to the side which may have helped McAnuff's game in a way as he was more attack minded than say Soares has been.

AJ 7 - Made the goal, ran his socks off and possibly was fouled for a penalty... but it does seem like he goes down a bit now might just be me thinking that but he certainly isn't being picked on by refs I heard calls for fouls against him in the 2nd half in the Holmesdale when the Cardiff player clearly got the ball! :D

Dougie 7 - Did ok, was unlucky some of his attempts to play the ball didn't come off this time.

earsham eagle
04-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by James
I am a very big Watson fan - but you must be kidding about Hughes. He was brilliant this afternoon. What game were you watching? I was just about to post exactly the same - we were obviously thinking alike - Hughes was awesome today - liked his dribble round 4 defenders in the 2nd half

earsham eagle
04-02-2006, 10:06 PM
I think he's still a bit rusty. But he showed some lovely touches today which took two or three players out of his way. A 100% fit Reich will be like a whole new signing. Yep,totally agree !!

The Vicar
04-02-2006, 10:20 PM
I don't rate Fitz as a central defender but he had a very good game today. Only black marks were passing to Cardiff instead of finding row Z - twice - and his over reliance on the long ball when he had time and space.

He kept Jerome quiet, harried when he had to and jumped in when he had to. Bar the two occasions when he should have made touch, his decision making was vastly improved.

This sounds like the most valid analysis of Hall's performance to someone who only listened to the match.

Eagle Andy
04-02-2006, 10:48 PM
Looked a very balanced team today. Leggy was playing out of position but thought he had a good game. Boyce looked more comfortable at right back. Midfield looked solid with Aki and Hughes there. They played a good defensive game but too often weren't supporting the front 2.

Dougie was quiet but AJ looked sharp and set up the goal well.

Kiraly didn't have hardly a save to make.

Good to see Reich back and you could tell Jobi wanted to impress.

Not a pretty game but another 3 points....

nicknackpalace
04-02-2006, 10:56 PM
The fact we're comfortably in the play offs, having played some pretty average stuff all season shows how poor the Championship is.

Tomo
04-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Just want to comment on Kiraly's distibution today. absolutely superb.

Hadham Eagle
04-02-2006, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by SpikeyMatt
Király - 7 - Handling was reasonably good, distribution quite good too. Pretty standard performance.

Boyce - 8 - Dowie's best ever signing. So strong, quick and solid. Got forward well and absolutely nothing got past him.

Hall - 6 - Would've been an 7 was it not for his silly sending off. Again, kept CJ quiet, covered and swept up well. Tidy.

Leigertwood - 8 - Out of position. Didn't show though! An excellent game for Leggy, solid, quick and strong, got forward quite well too!

McAnuff - 7 - Reasonably good game for Jobi. Cardiff were doubling up on him for much of the game so he was pressurised all the time. Did well under the circumstances.

Riihilahti - 7 - Solid in the midfield, outnumbered in the middle due to Cardiff's 4-5-1 but Palace came out on top through Aki [and Hughesy's] hard work. Nice finish too. Right place, right time.

Hughes - 7 - I thought a guy of 73 years young wasn't meant to motor on for 90 minutes? Hughesy did! Broke up play and worked hard with Aki in the middle.

Reich - 6 - Not 100%. Wore the wrong type of studs too, was slipping everywhere in the first half! Needs time to get back used to things. Reluctant to pass, but when he did, they were ones of immense quality.

Johnson - 7 - Ran, and ran, and ran......and ran. Worked his socks off to little avail. However, his assist for the goal was absolutely excellent, pace, skill and vision to set Aki up for the easiest of finishes.

Freedman - 6 - Virtual spectator. Didn't create an awful lot, some nice interplay on the edge of the area, but all too infrequent for my liking. Doesn't work with AJ, and today showed it (again).

Other thoughts:

* Kept the ball well for much of the game. Didn't really allow Cardiff too much time on it either, resulting in them playing hoof-ball to CJ.

* Outplayed Cardiff in the middle of the park. Were outnumbered 3-to-2 but that didn't show. The old engine room of two seasons ago worked a treat, nice to see.

* Cardiff were awfully negative. Came for a point and didn't get it, and rightly so - how they're in 7th is anyone's guess. Goalkeeper's distribution was abysmal.

All's good, needed the 3 points, I'm happy. Spot on post, I was at the game today and that's the best comment I've seen tonight!

cpfc_spc1982
04-02-2006, 11:07 PM
we did another solid job although cardiff hardly troubled us with some very negative, boring tactics, which could have worked we didnt have many chances.

kiraly 6 very little to do.
boyce 7 defensively at ease, got forwards well once or twice.
leigertwood 7 gifted them the ball once, otherwise was tough to get past.
hall 5 not sure what he did to get sent off but if he deserved it he ruined what was a good ish performance so hes a tit. was nearly badly caught out trying to play the ball away from the corner and giving it away cheaply rather than wacking it in the stands and a couple of times rode his luck, plus one embarrassing header apart from that though he wasnt that troubled. some silly long punts forward still.
ward 7 had the luxury of being able to stay forward for about 10 mins at the start of the second half because of cardiffs negativeness. wasnt troubled throughout.
mcanuff 6 started pretty well, again even on his 'natural side' everytime he cuts inside where he could really run at his man down the line, which i find annoying. faded though after his awful miss.
reich 6 showed some class touches at times and put over a very nice left footed cross other than that he was pretty quiet. good to see him back hope theres more to come.
hughes 7 did quiet well, didnt lose the ball much at all and drove forwards when not on it, nothing spectacular though i doubt he would have unlocked the cardiff defence.
aki 8 harried very well and his ability to sense danger is impressive. deserved his goal.
aj 7 movement as usual pretty good but wasnt at his best. that said his ability got us the points.
dougie 6 some moments of class as you would expect but not often enough.

Gooders
04-02-2006, 11:07 PM
Cardiff were shocking. Just how negative were they? Their 'keeper was taking forever with goalkicks as early as five minutes in. Awful, turgid stuff.

Jason Koumas plus 10 logs. We're in no danger of them pipping us to the play-offs, that's for sure.

Sussex Eagle
04-02-2006, 11:18 PM
Most solid (home) performance of the season. For once victory looked assured even when things were level.

Kiraly - 7 - Distribution much improved.
Boyce - 7
Hall - 7
Ward - 7 - He and the 3 above were all perfectly acceptable. The defence looked miles better with only one man not in his normal position and Aki in front protecting them. Won't judge Fitz for the red as I didn't see it.
Leigertwood - 8 - Closest he's come in a while to his very best. Did well at full back again, seems to lend him the extra second he needs to think the options through, as his good vision was for once matched by his passing ability.
McAnuff - 6 - Bit quiet, his passing often ain't too clever. Stilll worth his shirt though.
Riihilahti - 9 - MOM - Fantastic, the difference between us being a fly by night unreliable outfit and a solid team. Protected the defence, marshalled the midfield to the extent they looked better than Cardiff's 5, and played some decent through balls to boot. He is a must-starter.
Hughes - 7
Reich - 7 - Slow and not always obviously giving it 100%, but retains possession and crosses well.
Johnson - 8
Freedman - 8 - These two look very good together, and both created chances for others. Dougie also did some good covering work when necessary. AJ still not quite got his shooting boots on.

RickyB
04-02-2006, 11:18 PM
Really? I think that is utter madness. Leigertwood was not 'poor' today. he had an excellent performance today, probably better than Boyce who has put in our best LB performance this season at home from what I've seen.

Aki MOM, great to see him back but Mikele a close second. Hughesy good also.

As an aside, watching Football First now, Old ••••face flatnose is making more gay ••••••• excuses as to why he and his team are not ••••••• shit. c*cksucker.

RickyB
04-02-2006, 11:19 PM
The most balanced team I've seen all season.

Gooders
04-02-2006, 11:21 PM

At half-time the possession stats were 56% - 44% in our favour. That's the first time I can recall us winning the battle for possession home or away and quite simply it was because we had a midfield at last.

We weren't that great and we certainly didn't create a lot of clear cut chances but we were far superior to Cardiff and certainly deserved the win.

I dare Dowie to change that team for the next game.

RickyB
04-02-2006, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by 2can
Kiraly - 7 - Didn't have much to do. Saved some awkward shots from long distance.
Riihilahti - 6 - Had a brilliant first half but tired. Good positioning for the goal though!

We deserved to win, played some nice football at times and never looked like conceding. However, Cardiff were very poor, so that isn't saying much. Utter shite - did you even go? either that or you were beered up, or you are an idiot.

eddieskyclad
04-02-2006, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Gooders
At half-time the possession stats were 56% - 44% in our favour. That's the first time I can recall us winning the battle for possession home or away and quite simply it was because we had a midfield at last. We'd also only had 2 shots on target by half time.

RickyB
04-02-2006, 11:24 PM
At half-time the possession stats were 56% - 44% in our favour. That's the first time I can recall us winning the battle for possession home or away and quite simply it was because we had a midfield at last.

We weren't that great and we certainly didn't create a lot of clear cut chances but we were far superior to Cardiff and certainly deserved the win.

I dare Dowie to change that team for the next game. Pretty much on the money, although there was some good passing and movement in parts, which lead me to believe that there's more to come. As I said previously, our best balanced team IMHO of the season that i've seen.

Shame AJ din't get one.

Sussex Eagle
04-02-2006, 11:25 PM
We'd also only had 2 shots on target by half time.

Most solid & assured home performance of the season. There's a reason there were no boos at half time or calls for subs with 25 minutes to go at 0-0. Even though we weren't putting them under constant pressure we were very much in control after the first 15 minutes.

RickyB
04-02-2006, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Sussex Eagle

Riihilahti - 9 - MOM - Fantastic, the difference between us being a fly by night unreliable outfit and a solid team. Protected the defence, marshalled the midfield to the extent they looked better than Cardiff's 5, and played some decent through balls to boot. He is a must-starter.
:lux: :lux: :lux:

Brett
05-02-2006, 12:08 AM
We'd also only had 2 shots on target by half time.

Did you go?

If you did, you'd realise the ball was permanently in their goalmouth.

eddieskyclad
05-02-2006, 12:10 AM
Did you go?

If you did, you'd realise the ball was permanently in their goalmouth. No but I have already said that a few times in this thread...

Brett
05-02-2006, 12:13 AM
I know. It was a rhetorical question.

Teagle
05-02-2006, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Selhurst Guy
Considering he was out of position Leigertwood had a brilliant game.

I agree. Leigertwood has no left foot, but I thought he did well today. A much better performance than when I've seen him play in midfield - still a few sloppy passes but overall a good performance. I've been one who has had doubt over Mikele, but hats off to him today.

Hall - his distribution is shocking. Typified by his first half volley up to AJ, which went no where near him, and his header straight to a Cardiff player when in plenty of space. However, other than distribution, a good performance. No idea what the sending off was all about.

The communication seems to be severely lacking at the moment. Defenders hurriedly clearing when they have plenty of time, heading away when there's plenty of room to bring it down and look for options. Typified by Ward's hurried clearance into the stands in the first half, when the winger was a good ten yards off him. If Gabor had given the call, he could have comfortably taken the ball under control and passed it away.

All round I'm pleased. We had a few players back from injury, quite a few changes overall, but Cardiff didn't trouble. That looked our strongest side out there, and if we knew how to convert build up play into goals we'd have had a hat full.

andy m
05-02-2006, 08:03 AM
A few points:

When we were in the play offs two years ago Leigertwood dropped to left back against Sunderland and went onto play right back in a later game. Everyone seems to think he's not capable of playing at left back, but I've been crying out for this happen in Granville's absence for ages. I thought he did okay yesterday but lost his positioning a fair bit and his distribution was its usual poor self. However, his touch is clearly improving and he is still only young.

Hall had a good game. He can't pass for toffee, but we all know that so lets concentrate on what he did well. Jerome looks a very decent player, strong, quick and half decent with the ball. And apart from a disallowed effort he didn't have a sniff.

Aki. My God we've missed him. Welcome back. Hassled and harried in the middle of the park, intelligent passing for the most part and a trademark arive late in the box type goal.

Hughes had one of his worse games and I thought a substitution for Watson was called for long before Hall's moment of madness made it necessary.

Dougie had an off day and AJ looks increasingly lacklustre. Was pleased to see that it was him substitued, and albeit this was necessary because of the sending off, I'd like to think that he must now be told he isn't guaranteed a place in the team unless he merits it.

James
05-02-2006, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by andy m
Hughes had one of his worse games and I thought a substitution for Watson was called for long before Hall's moment of madness made it necessary.

Dougie had an off day and AJ looks increasingly lacklustre. Was pleased to see that it was him substitued, and albeit this was necessary because of the sending off, I'd like to think that he must now be told he isn't guaranteed a place in the team unless he merits it. What??

917L
05-02-2006, 09:39 AM
A few points:

Dougie had an off day and AJ looks increasingly lacklustre. Was pleased to see that it was him substitued, and albeit this was necessary because of the sending off, I'd like to think that he must now be told he isn't guaranteed a place in the team unless he merits it.

I would suggest you are in a distinct minority on all 3 points raised.

All 3 played well Hughes and Aki compliment each other better than any other pairing we have available.

Both AJ and Dougie worked tirelessly and effectively.

Maidstoned Eagle
05-02-2006, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by 917L
All 3 played well Hughes and Aki compliment each other better than any other pairing we have available.

I think a Watson/ Aki partnership might be better, IMHO.

glaziers fan
05-02-2006, 10:12 AM

I wasn't at the game but I couldn't agree more - he is pure class. He can finish, he can pass, he can head, he has pace. Better than JG and definitely Premiership class. He wants to be here too which is great. I can see him becoming a firm palace fav

glaziers fan
05-02-2006, 10:15 AM
that's probably it in fairness to him. Maybe I have been harsh. Would sometime just like him to drive forward more, but maybe he just isnt that sort of player. Like I said, there were signs of good things to come.

No, he's not a driver. He's more intelligent than that. Technically amazing and superb in the air for his height. Going to have games where things don't work out but he should start every game imho.

jordanismygod
05-02-2006, 10:21 AM
Just seen the highlights. Stonewall penalty on AJ

glaziers fan
05-02-2006, 10:29 AM
A few points:

When we were in the play offs two years ago Leigertwood dropped to left back ...his touch is clearly improving

Absolutely spot on. His touch has improved loads. He has unbelievable strength and decent pace. He has brilliant vision and once the passing and positioning come he could well be a TOP Premiership footballer (holding role).

andy m
05-02-2006, 10:38 AM
What??

Originally posted by 917L
I would suggest you are in a distinct minority on all 3 points raised.

Both AJ and Dougie worked tirelessly and effectively.

Having reread my post allow me to clarify ...

In the context of recent performances/what we know they're capable of I do not agree that all three played well. However, I accept that none of them played badly. Against Reading I thought Hughes had one of his very best games for us in my opinion - his performance yesterday was not as good, although I accept it wasn't one of his worst, it was worse than against Reading. I also agree with Maidstoned in that an Aki/Watson midfield would give better balance between defensive duties and passing ability.

Dougie's vision and passing against Southampton was, in my opinion, breathtaking and on top of that I list him as my all time favourite player. Yesterday I agree he worked tirelessly but I don't think he played as well as at St Mary's, for example, or in many other games this season.

AJ is better than most of his recent performances, but I am certainly not advocating that he be dropped as a result, merely stating that I would rather he wasn't guaranteed a place in the side because I believe he might be sharper if he had to compete for his place - in addition the other three strikers might feel they have more than one place to play for.

Lords Eagle
05-02-2006, 10:40 AM
My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the major difference was that we played with 2 dangerous wide men and actually used them, thought Jobi played really well, Aki my MOM, Leggy had a decent game, Aj worked his socks off (how anybody can say he was quiet is amazing, his running and positioning off the ball was amazing). But I also think that Purse was oustanding for them, without him I believe we would have totally overrun them.

andy m
05-02-2006, 10:40 AM
I take it we all agree the ref was shite?

Vince Hilaire's Afro
05-02-2006, 10:46 AM
A good result, but only an ok performance. Hughes was outstanding, can't understand the criticism of him. The full-backs also played really well, Leigertwood in my opinion also doesn't deserve criticism for that performance.

Good to see Aki back, he tried hard but to me he still doesn't look completely match fit. It does look like he's constantly chasing and harrying, but I think in part this is because half the time he's trying to catch up.

My only concern is that we're still pumping the ball up to our various little forwards, and concede far too much possession for doing so. On the few occasions we actually passed the ball up the pitch, our midfield showed that they are more than capable of retaining possession. AJ and Freedman did ok, but I'm not sure about them as a partnership. I'd much prefer to see Freedman in a linking role behind AJ and Clint.

Jerome looked awesome for Cardiff.

Freddy Kurz
05-02-2006, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Maidstoned Eagle

Until we find an experienced replacement for Hughes, we simply
cannot afford to leave him out, especially against the better
quality teams in the Championship. Watson's time will come,
but he still lacks some of the know-how of a midfield organiser.

He should be introduced regularly as a substitute to give him
essential match practice, and encouraged to work hard in
training to strengthen any remaining weaknesses in his
game. Would put him in our starting line-up for all
Cup games.

mik59
05-02-2006, 10:54 AM
im amazed by some of those comments, i thought Hughes was by far the worst player on the pitch. bad passing, only a couple of tackles and was no attackign threat whatsoever. Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE
Hughes was ok, but didnt have a damn clue what to do with the ball when he got it, no idea. Originally posted by andy m
Hughes had one of his worse games You are very wrong as pointed out by others. I do worry sometimes that there's a tendency to idolise Hughes and ignore his faults, but the trait you demonstrate is far worse - only see the negative and ignore the positives, such as the Hughes pass to AJ just shown on ITV which nearly produced a goal, and that's just one example.

Where there were frustrating moments when we didn't play a positive pass I would put the blame just as much on the players in front failing to make a positive run.

People around me were determined to loudly proclaim the faults of Leggy but stayed silent over his excellent defensive work in an unfamiliar position. Indeed, as others have said, possibly the best out of position play I've seen. The only major mistake I saw was, I thought, down to the pitch which produced a bobble and caught Leggy out, when otherwise he was very skilful in taking the ball around their attackers.

I also thought Jobi did a fair bit of tackling or at least just getting in the way.

I was intrigued by Watson appearing to play left wing as a late substitute after Hall's sending off - which ITV didn't have any footage off either but I saw a Stoke straight red which may ahve been similar and suggests there's been a crackdown.

ITV appeared to show that AJ was fouled for a penalty but I can understand that it wouldn't have looked nailed on from where the ref was standing.

Like others I think Hudson must be miffed to be dropped but I'm happy to say Hall was far better in central role than he has been.

I did wish Reich had gone into the last third a few more times, but that'll come with fitness as Brett & RDSda said, and I'm unsure what his mucking about with Jobi over who would take a corner was all about.

ITV didn't show the disallowed goal but my memory is that not only was AJ not interfering he was also running back into an onside position and may even have made it by the time the goal was manafactured.

They did show Jobi's miss and whereas I thought at the time it was an awful mistake, on tv it appeared that actually he tried to place it very skilfully and was inches away.

Finally, to echo others, Cardiff were poor and I struggle to understand why they were so close to us before the match. Watford were poor at their place too and I don't know why they're ahead of us though subject to their game on Monday that position may change. Obviously not seen Leeds live yet but the only teams that have impressed me so far were Reading, Blades and Preston, though the latter largely for their organisation.

OneSize
05-02-2006, 10:54 AM
why do you need an experienced person to replace hughes if we have someone who imo is better than him ready to take over from him on the bench? he doesnt have to be the midfield orgainser, Aki can play the role and probably should play it anyway as he sits infront of the defence.

mik59
05-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro
My only concern is that we're still pumping the ball up to our various little forwards, and concede far too much possession for doing so. On the few occasions we actually passed the ball up the pitch, our midfield showed that they are more than capable of retaining possession. That's another point I meant to echo.

Owngoal
05-02-2006, 10:59 AM
The team had a lot more balance yesterday - no one had a bad game which is a first for a while (exception of Reading) - everyone will make some mistakes but they did not cost goals. Did anyone notice the way Marco sprinted onto the field both halves - he is obviously really pleased to be near fit and has a blistering turn of speed. Having been shocked to get Hudsons autograph in the club shop before the game I hope he is not injured as he is the obvious replacement for Hall (and has better distribution). I was not that impressed with Koumas yesterday, which pleased me as he is often raved about and I think Ben will turn out a better player one day. Aki and reich made a huge difference, as they regain sharpness things look brighter. Granville will help consolidate the team in a few more weeks and we will have a great chance to do it again in the play offs.

RickyB
05-02-2006, 11:06 AM
Good comments Mik - pretty much sums it up for me. I must concur, Reading, Blades and Preston have been the best I've seen (aside from spirited little Brighton that is! :))

Micky Droy
05-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Our passing was crisper and zippier than it often is. We were good.

MasterYoda
05-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by mik59
I did wish Reich had gone into the last third a few more times, but that'll come with fitness as Brett & RDSda said, and I'm unsure what his mucking about with Jobi over who would take a corner was all about.
That's an easy. He was timewasting. Ref stopped the watch after a bit of it and then restarted it. Watch was stopped for about 10 seconds - after Reich had got away with at least 45 seconds to a minute of timewasting. Not pretty but effective.

charltonhater
05-02-2006, 11:23 AM
Kiraly - 8/10, never looked troubled, distribution improved

Boyce - 7/10, alright
Hall - 1/10, idiotic stupid moron who was our worst player by a long way even before his sending off. After a one-off decent display against Reading, he's back to being utterly crap again. If Hudson was fit, then dropping him was more proof Dowie is an idiot.
Ward - 7/10, fine, but I much prefer him alongside Popovic than with Hall
LeggyWeggy - 6/10, not a left back and his passing was poor there. He was much better when he moved into the centre

Reich - 9/10, M.O.M. our best player by far, a threat everytime he got the ball
Riihilahti - 7/10, other than the goal not great,
Hughes - 7/10, solid as always
McAnuff - 8/10, frequently a threat, although should have scored and not hit the post

Johnson - 7/10 much better than in recent games, but he has to stop falling over/diving everytime a defender gives him the slightest touch. The one time he didn't fall over led to him setting up our goal
Freedman - 8/10, miles and miles better than Macken. If Johnson is going to be a certain starter, then we have to start Freedman alongside him.

Borrowdale - 7/10, our side looks so much better with a left footer leftback

referee - 8, one of the better refs we've had this season. Both disallowed 'goals' were the correct decision and he didn't ruin the game by showing yellow cards every five minutes.

Overall one of the best performances I've seen from us this season. Two natural good wingers and two experienced midfielders meant we were the strongest we've been in midfield all season. Once Granville, Popovic and possibly Butterfield are fit and can return to our defence that would probably be the strongest starting eleven.
Yet again, Dowie almost ruined the game with his complete inability to make sensible substitions. If Reich is fit enough to play 85 minutes, he's fit enough to play 90 an why take of both wingers wehn you have ten men? All the opponents need to do is run down the wings and they can create chances galore.

Maidstoned Eagle
05-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by charltonhater
Johnson - 7/10 much better than in recent games, but he has to stop falling over/diving everytime a defender gives him the slightest touch. The one time he didn't fall over led to him setting up our goal

Did you see the highlights on The Championship this morning?

Freddy Kurz
05-02-2006, 11:28 AM
why do you need an experienced person to replace hughes if we have someone who imo is better than him ready to take over from him on the bench? he doesnt have to be the midfield orgainser, Aki can play the role and probably should play it anyway as he sits infront of the defence.

The Palace team lacks long-term experience (gained at top level in
the game) which becomes only too apparent when players like Aki
and Hughes are missing from our line-up. This can have disas-
trous consequences when we are playing quality teams in the
Championship. Take a look at our record in playing top eight
teams and you will see what I mean: Played 10 Points 8.

Watson may be "better" than Hughes in terms of youth, fitness
and perhaps long-term stamina, but certainly lacks the latter's
all-round vision, his ability to read a game and the "knowhow"
gained in 500 League, Cup and International games. The
younger "better" player has also shown himself not yet able
to improve his scoring ratio or improve consistently on his
delivery from a variety of dead-ball positions.

There is every possibility that if the player continues to
work hard at his game he will win a permanent place in
the first-team, but in a season in which it is so essential
for Palace to reach the play-offs, can we afford to take
such a major gamble on inexperience?

As for Aki, isn't it a bit premature to be talking about
him playing a major organising role, when he has only
just started his first full game for several months?

James
05-02-2006, 11:47 AM
Watson v Hughes (if we really must).

Yes, I broadly agree with Freddie Kurz. I have felt for a long time now that Watson is going to develop into a big star. In some areas, he is better than Hughes. However, the one thing he lacks is experience.

If you look at the Teams who go on to gain promotion from the Championship, they usually have one old head in their ranks. Someone who may not have the energy of his younger Teammates, but someone who knows how to read a game. Someone who can control a midfield and slow things down a bit when necessary.

Hughes is that man. I believe that he could be the key to Palace's promotion this year, if he stays fit.

Watson could well be the key to staying up if we get there.

charltonhater
05-02-2006, 11:48 AM
Did you see the highlights on The Championship this morning?

Yes I did, I assume you're talking about the panlty claim. When he went down in the box, TV replays show he was caught by the defender, but at the time I and most of the people around me in the stand thought Johnson had dived because of the way he went down.

Annoyingly Johnson has only going down far too easily since Steve Bruce accused him of diving, when he never did it before. Now every game he goes down about six of seven time, when only one or two are fouls, meaning when it is a foul, the referee often ignores it.

When he set up Riihilahti's goal he could easily have gone down, and if he had, we wouldn't have scored because the referee wouldn't have given anything. However he didn't, and instead ran to the line, and pulled it back resulting in a goal.

Ben H
05-02-2006, 11:48 AM
I think Watson lacks a competitive edge to his game. Hughes has it in abundance - just hates to lose.

RickyB
05-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Aki and Hughesy in the middle, Marco and Jobi on the wings - bliss! :)

jordanismygod
05-02-2006, 11:49 AM
LeggyWeggy - 6/10, not a left back and his passing was poor there. He was much better when he moved into the centre
[/B]

I must of been watching a different game. Don't remember his passing being poor at all.

platypuss
05-02-2006, 11:50 AM
If you look at the Teams who go on to gain promotion from the Championship, they usually have one old head in their ranks. Someone who may not have the energy of his younger Teammates, but someone who knows how to read a game. Someone who can control a midfield and slow things down a bit when necessary.

Who do Reading and Sheffield United have then?

Lords Eagle
05-02-2006, 11:54 AM
I think in general the ref didn't have a bad game, but can you tell me who was offside and interfering with play? Certainly not AJ as he was moving back. Wardy definitely wasn't so did I miss something?

Phil O'Sophical
05-02-2006, 11:59 AM
The referee was Mister Bates

BW_Palace
05-02-2006, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by platypuss
Who do Reading and Sheffield United have then?

Murty

Unsworth, Shipps

cpfc_spc1982
05-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
Absolutely spot on. His touch has improved loads. He has unbelievable strength and decent pace. He has brilliant vision and once the passing and positioning come he could well be a TOP Premiership footballer (holding role).

'holding role' suggests he holds a position in midfield he rarely does this. he certianly could be a 'combative midfielder' but doesnt have the discipline for holding.

Pennyfather
05-02-2006, 12:12 PM
I think some people have got a little bit carried away. Yes it was a good performance but to give marks of 8 & 9 to most players is definately not accurate. I would say:

Kiraly - 7
Boyce - 7
Hall - 4 (not bad but stupid sending off)
Ward - 7
Leigertwood - 7 (Done well, can only play at full back though NOT midfield)
McAnuff - 6
Aki - 8 mom
Hughes - 6 (Set pieces awful again, why does he take them?)
Reich - 7
Freedman - 6
AJ - 7

Team selection was mainly good but feel sorry for Hudson who definately did not deserve to be dropped. Was not all together happy with Leigertwood being in the side after his 2 woeful performances at Preston but he done ok. Please ID don't ever pick him in midfield again, it's clear that at full back he only has to concentrate on 1 player and stopping him which he can handle whereas in midfield it's a whole different set of circumstances and reqiurements which he is not up to.

Good to see McAnuff & Reich start, this is the way we must play to avoid having only one threat in AJ. Once they've played a few more games together we'll start to fire.

Well done to the official website for having the score at 2-0 & also that we had 82% possession!!!

OneSize
05-02-2006, 12:18 PM
you have to question what is better for the team though when choosing between hughes and watson.

hughes or watsons set pieces...watson wins hands down
who would you rather have in possession of a ball running from centre circle looking for a killer pass?...imo watson
experience...hughes
tackling ability...neither, they are both useless
energy...hughes
qucik passing, switching wings...watson

both bring different things to the team, imo watson would bring more to it than hughes

Pennyfather
05-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Pennyfather
05-02-2006, 12:19 PM

Agree. :p

Pennyfather
05-02-2006, 12:21 PM
A few points:

When we were in the play offs two years ago Leigertwood dropped to left back against Sunderland and went onto play right back in a later game. Everyone seems to think he's not capable of playing at left back, but I've been crying out for this happen in Granville's absence for ages. I thought he did okay yesterday but lost his positioning a fair bit and his distribution was its usual poor self. However, his touch is clearly improving and he is still only young.

Unless my memory is failing me he played centre half in all the play off games.

Mark Gardiner
05-02-2006, 12:27 PM
A better performance but a game Palace should have sewn up well before half-time. Not helped by a referee who wouldn't give any of the big decisions (all three were awarded by a linesman). Cardiff came for a point with a 4-5-1 formation and look to have a gem in Jerome. Otherwise one wonders how they were 7th in the League (one suspects Preston fans have been asking much the same about us!)

Playing 4-4-2 with two proper wingers means our two central midfielders must be strong, so no place for Watson or Soares, which was the right decision.

Kiraly - 6 - Quiet day with the exception of one wickedly dipping Koumas free kick which he dealt with better than it appeared. Handled crosses well. Took some justified stick from Dowie for poor kicking.

Boyce - 7 - Looked more at home at right back with some good supporting runs. Not fazed by switch to centre back late on.

Leigertwood - 6 - On occasions Mikele looks lost on the pitch and his passing needs to improve, but overall a good performance filling in at left back.

Hall - 4 - Was the poorest Palace player on the pitch as his distribution skills generally consist of a hoof up the field in the general direction of... well, wherever he happens to be facing! Struggled to cope with Jerome's pace. Sent off for a stupid attempt at a punch off the ball, which the linesman saw (missing Thompson's niggling that preceded it). For one I won't be unhappy at seeing One Size miss 3 games, as at the moment both Boyce and Hudson (when fit) seem more effective defenders.

Ward - 7 - Didn't face much of a challenge in the air until the combative Thompson arrived, but generally held the back 4 together. Surprisingly good with ball at his feet in the opponent's penalty box and unlucky to have his "goal" ruled out. I missed both Preston games but understand Darren took some flak for his displays, so good to see him back to his obdurate self.

Hughes - 8 - Even when outnumbered in midfield Hughes & Aki were running the show. More of a holding role yesterday so less runs into the box. Can we keep his little legs going twice a week?

Riihilahti - 8 - Aki's return shows what we've been missing this season. At time he & Hughesie seemed to be fighting for the same ball but there was a much-needed solidity in the middle of the pitch. Did at times seem off the pace but supplied a couple of lovely through balls, and of course popped up with the vital goal with a tidy close range finish.

McAnuff - 7 - Should learn from Marco Reich and seek the goal line more rather than keep cutting inside. However was very influential in the first half, with the pass to AJ that led to the penalty that wasn't. Should have done better when hitting underside of the bar.

Reich - 7 - If Jobi is Routledge reborn, then Marco is the new Kolkka! Disappeared from the game for long spells, then suddenly appears and creates chances. Sought the goal line but looked short of match fitness, getting slower as the game progressed. Also goes to ground too easily and ducked out of some challenges. Let's be generous & say it was his first start after a long lay-off.

Freedman - 7 - Should now be first choice partner for AJ. The most creative player in the first half, making chances for McAnuff & AJ. Plays the game so well in his head so reads situations better than most. If only he had AJ's pace...

Johnson - 7 - Mixed bag from AJ. His passing can be poor, and his complete air shot from 3 yards is the sort of miss you'd expect from the callow Bruce Dyer, not an England international. Against that his pace terrorised Cardiff's defence. Was definitely brought down from behind for what should have been an early penalty (the defender wasn't within 2' of the ball) and his salvaging of a poor free kick routine and run around the back of the defence set up the goal. If only he had Dougie's vision & passing ability...

Borrowdale - 6 - Came on and looked at home at left back, which shouldn't be a surprise as he actually is one! (This may come as a shock to the Palace management.) Helped an under-manned defence hold out with relatively little panic. Might get a little run in the team now due to injuries (is Hudson unfit?) and suspensions.

Watson - 6 - Clsoing down a game isn't really Ben's style but he carried out the task well.

Morrison - 6 - Came on to waste time (not personally) and held the ball up well.

platypuss
05-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by BW_Palace
Murty

Unsworth, Shipps

None are midfielders.

Next?

kolinkins
05-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Pennyfather
Unless my memory is failing me he played centre half in all the play off games.

I think he means when Granville went off v Sunderland.

Pennyfather
05-02-2006, 12:38 PM
I think he means when Granville went off v Sunderland.

When Powell came on & we were chasing the game? Hardly a good time to judge a player filling in a position, besides that was a back 3 anyway. He also said he went on to play right back in a later game, unless he means at Anfield in prem.

BW_Palace
05-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by platypuss
None are midfielders.

Next?

good point :p

EddieEdwards
05-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by EddieEdwards
I sit at the front of the Whitehorse right in line with where that tackle was made and I wasn't shouting for a penalty. The defender got the ball - only just got his toe onto it, but he got it.Having watched the highlights this morning, I see that I was wrong. AJ touched the ball on and the defender brought him down.

DeadPanX
05-02-2006, 01:41 PM
Aki - by far MoM, clearly we missed his urgency and inter-linking play.

Jobi - for all his lovely attacking work, he is so poor in his defensive duties time and time again. How often when the oppenent breaks, the flank where Jobi is supposed to be covering, he's not there as he has been sucked into the middle of the park thus leaving the RB/LB exposed? Anyone else notice this?

AJ - had an poor/OK game before that beaut of a pass. He was clearly getting frustrated.

Thought the defence had a good game. Hall was especially good I thought apart from some wayward pass. We all moan when he hoofs it up but when he does try to pass people still moan.

Please no Hudson in the team I'm afraid this guy does not inspire me at all. No speed and no touch. Every time I've seen him he looks like he's never comfortable on the ball and every tackle he does is last ditch. Admittably would like to see him one more time to see if I can be convinced otherwise.

Leigertwood - Played very very well. Clearly a most verstile utility player.

Boyce - by far the most consistent player in the team. Does his job quietly but effective in nearly every game.

Oh one more thing. When we do break for attack, we don't move fast enough upfield. And most times people aren't available for the ball to be passed to effectively.

Plus everytime we score we seem to sink into our shells completely and let the opponent come on to us for 5-10 minutes. This is so wrong. We must bully them and keep possession of the ball in this time so we infuriate them.

We played a very proactive game today and we broke down a stubborn defensive formation and played some good football hence we produced the goods.

3 points won off our nearest rival. Preston game on Tuesday should make for interesting analysis.

limited_edition
05-02-2006, 01:41 PM
When Powell came on & we were chasing the game? Hardly a good time to judge a player filling in a position, besides that was a back 3 anyway. He also said he went on to play right back in a later game, unless he means at Anfield in prem. And got skinned. His only half decent performance at RB was v the Arse a week earlier. Leggy is so casual, bordering on lackadaisical on the ball that it worries me when he's a defensive position. Remember his dilly dallying from a throw in v Boro that lead to Viduka's goal ? You need to be half decent on the ball at full back. More so than being a midfield destroyer.

hernehilleagle
05-02-2006, 01:50 PM
Mikele was very impressive, looked the most composed out of all of our players.

st albans
05-02-2006, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by DeadPanX

Please no Hudson in the team I'm afraid this guy does not inspire me at all. No speed and no touch. Every time I've seen him he looks like he's never comfortable on the ball and every tackle he does is last ditch. Admittably would like to see him one more time to see if I can be convinced otherwise.

how many games do you go to? hudson has played very well this season and the season we went up, hardly played last season

you clearly haven't seen much of him

alaneagle
05-02-2006, 01:59 PM
kiraly 7 - can remember one decent save
hall 5- silly sending off but did ok, dont think hes as good as hudson tho
ward 7- typical solid performance, unlucky to have his goal disallowed
boyce 7- he and ward are the regular performers
leggy 8- did well in left back, proved hes a bit two footed, i think his touch, passing and dribbling have imprived loads this year
mcnuff 8- electric
aki 9- we've missed you big time
hughes 7- not vintage, but did the job well
reich 8- his passes and crosses are sublime
aj 7- unfortunate to have few chances but got a superb assist
freedman6- not great but ok

subs
watson 6- got in the way a bit
clint 6- no time

Owngoal
05-02-2006, 02:10 PM
Yes Hudson - he has been the best passer and directed header out of defence - gets MoM and then slated. Leggy often (like Hall) does some terrible 'passes'. We will miss the Hall long throws.

alaneagle
05-02-2006, 02:11 PM
i think we should play watson in midfield, hes improved vastly this season. hes better in the air and physically, makes very few mistakes and he picks the pass out better than ne1 else (apart frm reich), with aki back we can play him without needing him to tackle as much, and im sure he'll improve in that department over time neway, as well as with his shooting
i think hes probably better than hughest at the moment, who should feature, but isnt up to our upcoming shcedule, so i reckon dowies probly resting him for all these fixtures coming up

Pennyfather
05-02-2006, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by limited_edition
And got skinned. His only half decent performance at RB was v the Arse a week earlier. Leggy is so casual, bordering on lackadaisical on the ball that it worries me when he's a defensive position. Remember his dilly dallying from a throw in v Boro that lead to Viduka's goal ? You need to be half decent on the ball at full back. More so than being a midfield destroyer.

Agreed & personally I would not have him anywhere near my first team but if ID insists on playing him (which he does unfortunately) I would prefer he played at full back rather than midfield as he can do less damage.

pedro
05-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Unfortunately, people like you, already make your mind up about players before the match even starts.
That is why I admitted he played ok was it, because I had already made my mind up:rolleyes: . Defensively he was strong, his passing was yet again abysmal he just boots it aimlessly in the hope it finds a man and for this alone you cannot be giving him MOM. How noticeable it was to have someone like Aki in the middle who not only won the ball but then had the novel idea of also giving it to a Palace player as well, that is why we had far more possession of the ball than we normally do. I would rather see Leggy at left back than Borrowdale that is for sure but hopefully now that Aki is back he will not be seen in the middle of the park unless we have serious injury problems.

orp pisshead1
05-02-2006, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Matt25
Great game today. Me and my cousin were at the back of the Arfur singing along, best game i've ever been to atmosphere-wise.

Was this your first game:D

orp pisshead1
05-02-2006, 02:54 PM

Excellent post NM:p

limited_edition
05-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Agreed & personally I would not have him anywhere near my first team but if ID insists on playing him (which he does unfortunately) I would prefer he played at full back rather than midfield as he can do less damage. When, or should I say if, Granville gets back, Leggy will get on the bench at best (although I'd prefer an experienced player like Butts on the bench over Leggy at RB). If experienced players like Aki, Hughes and Granny are fit, Watson (who I rate highly and believe will be good enough for the Premiership in time, incidentally) and the other kids will have to settle for the bench and be blooded in slowly, one by one.

The kids' time will come. We're at the business end of the season. We need experience, we need battlers as we need to rack up as many points as poss. I think this was our mistake last season - using too many kids at the crunch time at the end of the season. At the Valley, we had Leggy, Watson, Soares and Routledge playing against a pretty experienced Charlton team. Of those players, I reckon only Wayne should have played in such a pressure game.

OneSize
05-02-2006, 03:04 PM
wasnt watson one of the best players on the pitch int hat game against chalton?

limited_edition
05-02-2006, 03:17 PM
wasnt watson one of the best players on the pitch int hat game against chalton? Actually, he was. I'd blood him in slowly. He offers something different to Hughes. If MH's legs aren't up to it, Benny will step in to do a great job. Actually, I reckon Aki and Ben would be a pretty good midfield.

orp pisshead1
05-02-2006, 03:24 PM

:D

James
05-02-2006, 03:26 PM
I am a very big fan of Watson and have made him my MotM several times this Season. I have supporeted him when others have been giving him stick. I see him as one of those who is perhaps most likely to go on to play at a higher level.

However, I do not see this as Hughes v Watson scrap. You don't have to dislike one to admire the other (and vice versa). We are fortunate to have two such valuable players in our squad. I am frankly amazed by some of the negative posts directed at one of our best players yesterday.

Hughes was for me the MotM yesterday. He bossed the midfield and kept Palace in control throughout. We need a player like him to keep us on track for the Play-offs.

limited_edition
05-02-2006, 03:32 PM
I am a very big fan of Watson and have made him my MotM several times this Season. I have supporeted him when others have been giving him stick. I see him as one of those who is perhaps most likely to go on to play at a higher level.

However, I do not see this as Hughes v Watson scrap. You don't have to dislike one to admire the other (and vice versa). We are fortunate to have two such valuable players in our squad.

Hughes was for me the MotM yesterday. He bossed the midfield and kept Palace in control throughout. We need a player like him to keep us on track for the Play-offs. Exactly. Experience counts at this stage of the season. So long as his legs are up to it. Aki should stay in midfield, too.

I'm also massive Watson fan. His time will come. I look forward to some immense midfield displays from Ben in the future. In the Premiership where he'll have more time on the ball and thrive. Look at Mullins. People said he was too casual, and perhaps didn't get stuck in enough at Championship level. Look at him in the Premiership. He's taken to it like a duck to water an compliments Reo Coker's attacking threat by playing an excellent holding role.

Paul Romain
05-02-2006, 03:42 PM
There's more than one way to get forward - including going sideways first. If the coaches tell them to get the ball out wide at every opportunity - and with two wingers playing that is obviously what they would be looking to do - then Hughesie was doing the job he was told to do and did it well.

Another point on Hughes is this insistence of Dowie's on "resting his old legs" Well, given the amount of ground he covers and the fact that he was still able to bomb forward with a full pelt off the ball run in about the 92nd minute I'd say he is still one of the fittest ones out there!

Aki deserved his MoM award - showed Leigertwood how to perform that holding role - watched him specially for a while and his anticipation of where trouble is going to appear is superb - gets himself in the right places all the time. And the big difference? He doesn't give the ball straight back again. Made a huge difference yesterday - as did the Reich/Soares change for the balance and shape of the team.

One last comment on the number of people who just refer to Boyce as having a "solid game" match after match. An unsung hero if ever there was one he is my Player of the year by a country mile at the moment. Just gets better and better and yesterday some of his defending was of the highest quality under pressure - compared with Hall who just looks panicked faced with a tackle close to our goal Boycie deserves more time with his name in lights on here

Pennyfather
05-02-2006, 05:09 PM
Exactly. Experience counts at this stage of the season. So long as his legs are up to it. Aki should stay in midfield, too.

I'm also massive Watson fan. His time will come. I look forward to some immense midfield displays from Ben in the future. In the Premiership where he'll have more time on the ball and thrive. Look at Mullins. People said he was too casual, and perhaps didn't get stuck in enough at Championship level. Look at him in the Premiership. He's taken to it like a duck to water an compliments Reo Coker's attacking threat by playing an excellent holding role.

As usual LE you make some great points especially regarding Mullins who I always said would do well at the top level and the same goes for Ben. Hughes is indeed valuable but I'd prefer an Aki/Ben midfield although there will be some games when Hughes is a better option.

MAX
05-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Leggy MOM.Is he out of position? Perhaps he is the permanent answer to our problem.
"Leggy has no left foot" Someone wasn't at the game I think!

macstar
05-02-2006, 09:59 PM
no one has really mentioned how well we played without Tom Soares in the side.

Beatleboy
05-02-2006, 10:13 PM
This was a very good team performance and I dont think any of our players can be faulted for their individual or collective effort.

My slight exception to this would be Hall. I cannot believe that people stand up and applaud a player that has clearly let the side down and could have cost us points.

Someone also criticised the referee on here. However, he had a very good game yesterday, helped by 2 teams that wanted to play football.

nookiebear
05-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Imagine all this has been said but here's my views

Despite only getting one goal, we were good value for the win. Cardiff, bizarrely, came for a point and got what they deserved

With that midfield, we'll get better and better. Aki and Hughes proved they're our best partnership in the middle and still good enough to get us promoted. If Jobi and Reich keep fit, they will terrorise defences for the rest of the season. That midfield bossed Cardiff's five-man midfield, including the much talked about and talented Koumas.

Things really are looking up - all we need now is Granville back (not to take anything away from Mikele's great performance on Sat) for extra balance and I think the performances will be of the same quality of the results. I expect us to be much more convincing for the rest of the season if we keep that midfield fit.

Aki - what a player, how badly have we missed him?

RDSdaEAGLE
05-02-2006, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by macstar
no one has really mentioned how well we played without Tom Soares in the side.

You've got some kind of strange obsession.

Be honest, you fancy him, don't you? You don't want anyone else to have him, do you?

:love:

glaziers fan
06-02-2006, 12:21 AM
Exactly. Experience counts at this stage of the season. So long as his legs are up to it. Aki should stay in midfield, too.

I would echo your sentiments, and indeed often do, but on this occasion I will refrain. I think we're nowhere near the business end of the season. Dowie should keep tinkering for a little while yet and give the young players a chance. Soares should be rested but I feel sorry for Watson who has done nothing wrong that merited being dropped. He will improve for the CCC experience, although I am in agreement with you that he is more suited to the premeirship much like mUllins.

There's no chance of us finishing anywhere other than 3-6 so we should play Watson in midfield knowing that Hughes' experience is there when needed, ie when we reach the play-offs.

Beatleboy
06-02-2006, 12:31 AM
All young players need a rest and therefore, it was only a matter of time before Soares was rested.

limited_edition
06-02-2006, 12:45 AM
As usual LE you make some great points especially regarding Mullins who I always said would do well at the top level and the same goes for Ben. Hughes is indeed valuable but I'd prefer an Aki/Ben midfield although there will be some games when Hughes is a better option. Cheers. Hughes-Aki together could be used in tough away trips where we need some bite like say Leeds, Sheff U and even say, Millwall away. Didn't go to Preston, but I'm sure Hughes-Aki together in those games might have helped nick us a point.

David Amsalem
06-02-2006, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by pedro
That is why I admitted he played ok was it, because I had already made my mind up:rolleyes: . Defensively he was strong, his passing was yet again abysmal he just boots it aimlessly in the hope it finds a man and for this alone you cannot be giving him MOM. How noticeable it was to have someone like Aki in the middle who not only won the ball but then had the novel idea of also giving it to a Palace player as well, that is why we had far more possession of the ball than we normally do. I would rather see Leggy at left back than Borrowdale that is for sure but hopefully now that Aki is back he will not be seen in the middle of the park unless we have serious injury problems.

Was you honestly there? His passing wasn't poor. Anyway, I don't disagree with Aki - I'm very happy he is back.

At least the majority of people here saw how effective Mikele was. If he puts in more performances like that, we could have our new left back...

mydesign11
06-02-2006, 08:20 AM
It never ceases to amaze me how we can all watch the same game, and yet come to such diametrically opposed opinions on the game (and the performance of individual players).

I can’t remember a single misplaced pass from Hughes. His energy was incredible for an ‘old’ man, He ran his heart out – yet looked completely composed on the ball.

I’m not going to enter into a Hughes v Watson debate, because I like them both. However to suggest that Hughes didn’t play an enormous part in today’s win seems ridiculous to me.

Agree absolutely

mydesign11
06-02-2006, 08:22 AM
Btw, generous free kick awarded on Dougie in the lead up to our goal, only AJ could have made made that run and pull back. He was quiet and having quite a poor game up until then, but he did brilliantly to get there and pull it back.

Stonewall pen 5 mins in aswell. Agreed apart from I thought he looked well sharp alll game

mydesign11
06-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Im surprised nobody has had a moan about Wards goal being dissallowed, it was ruled out for offside, AJ was offside but running back onside and didnt interfere with play in my opinion and the goal wasnt given.

And the first pen shout we had? What was everyone elses view on it? i was in the holmesdale so didnt have a very good view but it looked stonewall to me

Deffo Pen no two ways about it. I was in the box directly above the goal and guess had best view...also saw it again Sunday Morning on TV and AJ just sat there when it wasn't given and said loudly and clearly.....'OH MY GOD'...........

mydesign11
06-02-2006, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by 2can

We deserved to win, played some nice football at times and never looked like conceding. However, Cardiff were very poor, so that isn't saying much.

Can't agree with any of that except Cardiff were not great

mydesign11
06-02-2006, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by SpikeyMatt

Other thoughts:

All's good, needed the 3 points, I'm happy.

Most spot on post in the whole thread,,,apart form not mentioning AJ point blank penalty claim

mydesign11
06-02-2006, 08:34 AM

You my friend either wasn't there or you are really not actually watching the same game??????

mydesign11
06-02-2006, 08:36 AM
Kiraly - 8/10, never looked troubled, distribution improved

Boyce - 7/10, alright
Hall - 1/10, idiotic stupid moron who was our worst player by a long way even before his sending off. After a one-off decent display against Reading, he's back to being utterly crap again. If Hudson was fit, then dropping him was more proof Dowie is an idiot.
Ward - 7/10, fine, but I much prefer him alongside Popovic than with Hall

Reich - 9/10, M.O.M. our best player by far, a threat everytime he got the ball
Riihilahti - 7/10, other than the goal not great,
Hughes - 7/10, solid as always
McAnuff - 8/10, frequently a threat, although should have scored and not hit the post

Freedman - 8/10, miles and miles better than Macken. If Johnson is going to be a certain starter, then we have to start Freedman alongside him.

Borrowdale - 7/10, our side looks so much better with a left footer leftback

referee - 8, one of the better refs we've had this season. Both disallowed 'goals' were the correct decision and he didn't ruin the game by showing yellow cards every five minutes.

Overall one of the best performances I've seen from us this season. Two natural good wingers and two experienced midfielders meant we were the strongest we've been in midfield all season. Once Granville, Popovic and possibly Butterfield are fit and can return to our defence that would probably be the strongest starting eleven.
Yet again, Dowie almost ruined the game with his complete inability to make sensible substitions. If Reich is fit enough to play 85 minutes, he's fit enough to play 90 an why take of both wingers wehn you have ten men? All the opponents need to do is run down the wings and they can create chances galore.

Quite a good post except about AJ he was heavily fouled point blank Pen in any circumstances

Nelson Muntz
06-02-2006, 08:49 AM
Some thoughts:

After six minutes we should have had a penalty. I thought so at the time & having seen it on TV since it confirmes. Loved AJ's 'Oh my God' to the camera while he was sitting on the floor.

Jobi & Marco gave us so much balance and looked dangerous. Every time the ball arrives for Marco he gets it under control and it's his. At the risk of upsetting Freddy Kurz, I mentally compared him to Andrews who, to me, never seems to have the ball 100% under his control whereas Marco has full control of it the second it arrives at his feet.
No need to say anymore about the middle two. It's all been said apart from awesome. I'd love to see that midfield four week in week out for league games.

Sombody said earlier that AJ does his thing and Dougie does his, which they do, but I thought they played well. AJ's workrate never faulters and I'm a 'one minute I want to kiss him, next I want to kill Dougie' man, but recently I've wanted to kiss him rather than kill him.

Did anybody notice one of the under 16 players while they were doing their lap of honour at half time? The number 2 was full of himself making dancing gestures and clowning to the crowd. He was at the back of the group as he passed us and was very funny.

Murial is OK. I understand three BBS'ers were interviewed for PalaceWorld as it was unveiled. Good to see the legends Jim Cannon and Steve Kember there for the opening. Steve Coppell does look a lot like Harry Redknapp to me, but no mistaking any of the others.

As the second half started Rob Fox stopped the music but left the microphone on and in the Whitehorse (Dunno about anywhere else) we could hear a faint commentry coming from the speakers. After about a minute I texted Rob to tell him. About 5 seconds after I sent the text the sound of Rob's phone recieving a message echoed around the Whitehorse much to the amusement of those around us. His phone must have been right next to the mic. Anyway a few minutes later I got a text, and I quote, 'Cheers! U didn't hear me fart did u? Classic.
(By the way. I do have Rob's permission to tell the story so there can't be much chance of him getting an earbashing from SJ for leaving the mic on for a minute or two)

sydnsteve
06-02-2006, 08:58 AM
I don't have time to read all this, but see all the old prejudices against Hughes are still alive and well. Interestingly I thought he did not have a very good first half (said as one of his advocates), but a very good second half, and I think he was deliberately pacing himself to last 90 mins. He did this so well that he almost laid a goal on for AJ near the end, after somehow getting through 4 players, and later still had the legs to take the ball out on the left, hold play up, and retain possesion while running down the clock. I have no doubt that the reason Hughes lasted the game was due to Aki's non stop running, and this showed up the huge flaw in Watson's gmae; his inability to get round the pitch, which at his age is inexcusable.

There is no doubt, IMO, that Aki and Hughes should always start, with Watson to come on if it isn't working. Boyce was excellent, joint MoM with Aki for me, and AJ was superb. It is so hard to score against teams who are so totally negative, but we showed patience and desire and totally deserved the win.
Hall I thought was not assured and would much prefer Popps back (I'm a bit unclear as to why Hudson was dropped). There was one incident in the first half when Hall dispossesed the attacker brilliantly, then passed it straight to a Cardiff player 5 yards away, and set up an attack. He did this too many times.

ML was his usual mix of puposeful defending and brain dead ball distribution and positioning. I am beginning to think he is lacking a few neurones, as it happens all the time.

Reich I thought was disappointing. Great control, but no acceleration and zero work ethic. He did have an excellent 15 mins in the 2nd half, but he needs to show more commitment. He didn't even pretend to cover back.

DF tried way too many silly flicks today, and was a bit peripheral.

Overall though a very good TEAM performance for once, and Cardiff were very well organised and hard to break down. I totally disagree with whoever said they looked poor. Jerome looked a threat and an excellent prospect, but fortunately theie mind set was too negative to utilise him. Koumas showed a few flashes of brilliance, but was mostly anonymous.

Gooders
06-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Kiraly - had next to nothing to do and was competent

Boyce - had another very good game - glad to see he's finally banished the erratic early-season performances

Hall - was excellent for 30 minutes then guilty of two pieces of really sloppy play in quick succession - if only he could concentrate for 90 minutes

Ward - steady, unlucky to have yet another well-taken goal ruled out

Liegertwood - I lost count of the number of times he stole the ball from attacking players before they even realised it had gone. All the eejuts who constantly criticise him have made their minds up before he takes the field, IMHO

Jobi - a workmanlike performance with occasional flashes of great skill. I'm still looking for more from him because he's certainly capable of it

Aki - Showed within 5 minutes what we have been missing all season. He doesn't even need to have the ball - just having him on the pitch means that the opposition won't get the time to build moves - Cardiff were constantly being hassled into lumping it aimlessly forward and more often than not it just ran straight through to Kiraly. Turned up in the box at the crucial time to nab the winner (a place that you would never find Watson or Soares, btw). Welcome back Aki. Please stay fit for the rest of the season mate.

Hughes - Not bad at all. Kept going for 90 minutes and alongside Aki made sure that Cardiff could never settle. That little cameo when he beat 4 or 5 Cardiff players within the space of about 8 yards was magic

Reich - Steady game. Probably not fully fit. I'd pick him every week though - we need his class and ability to create

AJ - Didn't do anything wrong for the pen that wasn't given - got fouled, went down (non-theatrically) but simply isn't going to get these decisions any more, unless his leg gets broken. Even the Cardiff fans knew it was a stonewall penalty and couldn't believe their luck. Great play to make the goal.

Freedman - Fairly quiet but it's too soon to give up on his partnership with AJ if you ask me. Give them 2 or 3 more games before you decide it's not working please Iain - Macken had that many opportunities after all.

Some people earlier in the thread were wondering why Jerome's goal was disallowed? Last time I checked, putting one hand on each shoulder of the defender (Hall) who is in front of you and yanking him out of the way was against the rules.

Jerome looked ok but his first touch was poor.

Koumas looked neat and tidy without being particularly threatening. Without him I have to believe Cardiff would be a lower mid-table side at best.

sydnsteve
06-02-2006, 09:12 AM
A few points:

Hall had a good game. He can't pass for toffee, but we all know that so lets concentrate on what he did well. Jerome looks a very decent player, strong, quick and half decent with the ball. And apart from a disallowed effort he didn't have a sniff.

I have seen a few bizarre match reports on here in my time, but I think this one really take the gold medal.

sydnsteve
06-02-2006, 09:17 AM
you have to question what is better for the team though when choosing between hughes and watson.

tackling ability...neither, they are both useless

Please tell me this is some kind of a joke. Hughes has no tackling ability???? He won one tackle when two Cardiff players saw him steaming towards them for 8 yards away! I don't mind a rational debate, but this is just ridiculous.

Pennyfather
06-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Cheers. Hughes-Aki together could be used in tough away trips where we need some bite like say Leeds, Sheff U and even say, Millwall away. Didn't go to Preston, but I'm sure Hughes-Aki together in those games might have helped nick us a point.

Spot on, with Watson to come on if we need a bit more creativity. :p

Pennyfather
06-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by sydnsteve

I have no doubt that the reason Hughes lasted the game was due to Aki's non stop running, and this showed up the huge flaw in Watson's gmae; his inability to get round the pitch, which at his age is inexcusable.

I can't believe this comment. Lots of things have been levelled at Watson like his tackling which is fair but to say he doesn't get around the pitch is scandalous! :eek:

Louis
06-02-2006, 10:37 AM
As soon as I saw that Aki and Hughes were starting, I felt good about the game. Aki has the height, presence and experience we need in midfield. Also helps out in attack and defence. McAnuff was excellent, Reich good in parts but lazy (first time I've seen him). The whole team looked much more solid. Dougie played well. Leigertwood played well, but looked more comfortable when drifting into midfield than at left back.

The highlight was seeing Aki and Hughes in midfield, and it was appropriate that Aki scored.

PalaceMonkey
06-02-2006, 10:40 AM
I'v read a few pages of this thread, but haven't seen why Hall got sent off.

Can anyone explain?

Cheers :p

Benzhiyi
06-02-2006, 10:43 AM
A bit late to offer any ratings, so some random thoughts instead...

We played well, but do have a knack of dominating games for 30 minutes and then taking our feet off the pedals. Fine if we're three goals up, but not at 0-0! Had we kept playing with the same impetus that we demonstrated in then opening half hour we'd have had the game wrapped up shortly after half time.

Aki was MOM for me. Not just for the goal, but also a tireless performance which kept Jason Koumas quiet.

The red card capped another poor performance from Hall. He actually started reasonably, then hammered a Fitzy Special long range pass off for a goal kick and went steadily downhill from there. He was embarrassingly outmuscled for Jerome's disallowed goal (never a foul, but let's not complain) and actually did us a favour by getting himself carded - we looked more solid in the final five than we had during the rest of the game.

Kiraly, Ward, Boyce, and Mikele all impressed. Dougie got little of the ball but looked a better partner for AJ than Macken has recently.

Reich and McAnuff demonstrated why we MUST start them every time they're fit. They offer width that Soares and Hughes, players used to plying their trade centrally, simply can't.

Darren Purse is still awful.

A pleasing win.

Gooders
06-02-2006, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Benzhiyi
He was embarrassingly outmuscled for Jerome's disallowed goal (never a foul, but let's not complain)

No, no, no sir.

Agree with everything else you've said but you can't grab a guys shoulders and throw him out of the way to get to the ball!

Benzhiyi
06-02-2006, 10:50 AM
No, no, no sir.

Agree with everything else you've said but you can't grab a guys shoulders and throw him out of the way to get to the ball!

Isn't that what Fitzy does to opposition strikers ten times a game? ;)

Fair point though, if that's what happened. Didn't look that way to me but I sit right behind the goal so I'll play the Arsene Wenger card and say that I didn't see Jerome do anything wrong from that angle.

sydnsteve
06-02-2006, 11:13 AM
I can't believe this comment. Lots of things have been levelled at Watson like his tackling which is fair but to say he doesn't get around the pitch is scandalous! :eek:

In the Reading game, there were at least three times in the first half that Hughes had to get the ball from an oppo player and Watson was yards nearer but made no attempt to get there. He does this a lot, and as a result Hughes is knackered. With Aki there Hughes can take his foot off the gas and last all game.
I've nothing against Watson, I think we need him to be playing well, but he is a fairly ordinary midfield player at present. Maybe he never will have an 'engine' like Hughes, but if not he must do the other things much better than he does at the moment.

Pennyfather
06-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
In the Reading game, there were at least three times in the first half that Hughes had to get the ball from an oppo player and Watson was yards nearer but made no attempt to get there. He does this a lot, and as a result Hughes is knackered. With Aki there Hughes can take his foot off the gas and last all game.
I've nothing against Watson, I think we need him to be playing well, but he is a fairly ordinary midfield player at present. Maybe he never will have an 'engine' like Hughes, but if not he must do the other things much better than he does at the moment.

I completely disagree with this and I would say if you measured all our midfielders for miles covered per game I would have money on Ben being top. He does miss tackles on occasions and they might be the moments you are referring to but he definately covers the pitch extensively.

Batsta
06-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Leggy done very well at left back.

Aki was great. Nice to see us winning those second balls, something thats been lacking without Aki.

cpfc4eva&eva&ev
06-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Although Koumas did not have a great game he still nearly scored with a great free kick! We need a dead ball expert. We just cant score direct from a free kick.

jempie
06-02-2006, 12:20 PM
What a difference it made with Aki and Hughes back in midfield?!?!

Boyce slotted back into his right back position well and I thought Leigertwood was very good (i'm not much of a fan, but did most of the basics right).

I do think Kiraly needs to practice he's kicking though.

Reich looked to be running into blind alleys, but he'll be dangerous.

Jobi also had a very good game, esp the first half.

macstar
06-02-2006, 12:29 PM
You've got some kind of strange obsession.

Be honest, you fancy him, don't you? You don't want anyone else to have him, do you?

:love:

im just so over the moon he was dropped. I admit, i am an obsessional person! Now he's been dropped who shall i pick on now.........errrrrr...

Fitz Hall.

Fitz Hall is ****!:p

Celestial Empire
06-02-2006, 12:42 PM
Spot on, with Watson to come on if we need a bit more creativity. :p

Hmmm, how about :
As most have now sussed, AJ doesn't really combine well with any of our other strikers.
We now have more attacking threat from wide(Reich & McAnuff).
=
Why don't we go back to the old AJ up front, 5 in midfield routine, with Watson playmaking, and Hughes getting further forward ?

sydnsteve
06-02-2006, 03:37 PM
Q is, have I missed GG's input on this thread, as I was waiting for him to say what a poor game Hughsie had!
Must be a coincidence, of course.

Jay_Palace
06-02-2006, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by cpfc4eva&eva&ev
Although Koumas did not have a great game he still nearly scored with a great free kick! We need a dead ball expert. We just cant score direct from a free kick.

Reich can strike a dead ball as well as Koumas.

alaneagle
06-02-2006, 03:51 PM
well he had one good free kick but i cnt remember ne others

cpfc_spc1982
06-02-2006, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
Reich can strike a dead ball as well as Koumas.

given more of a chance we will see but koumas has belted in a fair few from thirty yards this seson, i very much doubt he is even close.

cockneyrebel
07-02-2006, 02:23 PM
Morrison - 10

Held the ball up in the corner at the end and clearly won the game for us.

sydnsteve
07-02-2006, 02:57 PM
What a ridiculous post cockney rebel. Surely an 8 for Clint is much more appropriate.

Sir.S.C Remembered
07-02-2006, 03:16 PM

McAnuff 7 ? looked much more creative on the right
Reich 7 ? added much needed balance. A few sloppy touches but looked good
Hughes 8 ? brilliant today. Didn?t stop running, tackled well and passed well
Aki 7 ? quality to see Aki back today, good performance and a good goal

Johnson 7 ? looked much sharper and picked up a fantastic assist
Freedman 7 ? needed to improve his final ball but did well

I think those ratings are spot on, as was the mention of the balance of the team. I thought Leggy was solid and also assured whilst placing good passes, definate MOM. I actually thought we played really well, especially in the 1st half. We passed the ball really confidently.