PDA

View Full Version : Problem with our strikers scoring goals?

macstar
07-02-2006, 11:22 PM
Only 1 goal from open play by our strikers in the last 10 games, thats a concern.

This was preston away in the cup. That was from AJ.

Think we have an obvious problem with supplying the forwards with good balls, and also a problem with their finishing.:veryangry

brisbane_eagle
07-02-2006, 11:33 PM
I agree. Without sounding too pessimistic, we have only played to our full potential in the games against Liverpool, Reading, Coventry and Sheffield Utd (and maybe a couple of others). We need more consistency - obviously regular goals would help. AJ hasn't quite been the same since his return from injury. Clinton was great when AJ was injured but is out of form. I hope that the combination of Aki and Hughes may revive us in the run up to the end of the season, to help create a few more goals for the front two, consolidate us in the play off and stuff preston in the play off final!!

macstar
07-02-2006, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by brisbane_eagle
I agree. Without sounding too pessimistic, we have only played to our full potential in the games against Liverpool, Reading, Coventry and Sheffield Utd (and maybe a couple of others). We need more consistency - obviously regular goals would help. AJ hasn't quite been the same since his return from injury. Clinton was great when AJ was injured but is out of form. I hope that the combination of Aki and Hughes may revive us in the run up to the end of the season, to help create a few more goals for the front two, consolidate us in the play off and stuff preston in the play off final!!

its set up for this actually. preston vs palace in the final.

spotkick
07-02-2006, 11:36 PM
No Service = No Goals

ebyeeckeagle
07-02-2006, 11:44 PM
Hmmmm. Hoof the ball to small strikers. Great.

And does it seem that AJ is the one ofetn supplying the last cross, but no one to get in on it.

When the wide players do get forward, it seems our front two are surprised and not ready.

GreatGonzo
07-02-2006, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by macstar
Only 1 goal from open play by our strikers in the last 10 games, thats a concern.

This was preston away in the cup. That was from AJ.

Think we have an obvious problem with supplying the forwards with good balls, and also a problem with their finishing.:veryangry

Leicester at home - 90th minute - Leggy through ball - AJ scores!

THAT is the only time a striker has scored in the past 10 games being set up by a Palace player - Preston away AJ was set up by their defender!

I will keep saying it - Time to drop AJ.

cpfc_spc1982
07-02-2006, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by ebyeeckeagle
Hmmmm. Hoof the ball to small strikers. Great.

target man still required.

macstar
07-02-2006, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo

This is a strange one. a 50/50.

Think we put too much emphasis on 'AJ this and AJ that'...weve become a one trick pony...hoof the ball and hope he chases it. but he is always always a threat.

Should it be Doug and Clinton upfront???? Worked reasonably well when AJ was injured....

Jza
07-02-2006, 11:53 PM

No AJ doesnt need dropping. The problem comes from our our predicatable style of play and tactically aware opposition have an easy time snuffing out our main threats.
We continue to try to play a passing style which is too easily disrupted by some bullying and tight play on our weak midfielders, pressure on our defenders who have little choice but to pump the ball long to our short and weak attackers.
Either we need a target man for AJ and co. to work off or we find a way to give our midfielders more time on the ball.

limited_edition
07-02-2006, 11:53 PM
I will keep saying it - Time to drop AJ. And replace him with who exactly ? We haven't got another striker that scares the crap outta defenders with their pace. Oh, yeah, silly me, we've got Super Wayne.

brisbane_eagle
07-02-2006, 11:54 PM
Dougie and Clinton up front would work with AJ on wing to supply the crosses like he often does. His pace out does most defenders and the D&C combination worked well when AJ was injured. Can't see ID playing that formation though.

GreatGonzo
07-02-2006, 11:56 PM
Should it be Doug and Clinton upfront???? Worked reasonably well when AJ was injured....

AJ off the bench after an hour.

He may be our best player but none of the other strikers are forming anything resembling a partnership - the only 2 who do are Dougie and Clint.

Trouble is we only have plan A and if that fails throw on as many strikers as possible. Oh and Plan A seems to involve a lot of long balls hopefully punted up in the air for AJ - Clever!

Barry
07-02-2006, 11:58 PM
With the excpetion of AJ, our strikers are cack.

Freedman is past it, Macken is a fat waster and Clinton is a moaning old c**t who cant keep on side.

All this crap about us having the best strikeforce in the CCC, I could name 10 strikers outside of the premiership I would rather have than these 3 clowns.

imashed
07-02-2006, 11:59 PM
iam afraid most of it stems from our 2 missing stroppy wingers who are no longer with us?

GreatGonzo
08-02-2006, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by imashed
iam afraid most of it stems from our 2 missing stroppy wingers who are no longer with us?

Thats what happens when you about with contracts for good players - they go elsewhere.

Jza
08-02-2006, 12:01 AM

Trouble is we only have plan A and if that fails throw on as many strikers as possible. Oh and Plan A seems to involve a lot of long balls hopefully punted up in the air for AJ - Clever!

I really dont think the game plan begins with lots of long balls GG, it comes later as a result of a weak and uncreative midfield and un-confident defence. As soon as our midfield starts to get bullied, we start to see the useless long balls from pressured and optionless defenders. ID needs to learn to adapt our style and keep other teams guessing

macstar
08-02-2006, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Barry
With the excpetion of AJ, our strikers are cack.

Freedman is past it, Macken is a fat waster and Clinton is a moaning old c**t who cant keep on side.

All this crap about us having the best strikeforce in the CCC, I could name 10 strikers outside of the premiership I would rather have than these 3 clowns.

hulse
Trundle
Lita
M Stewert (always injured though)
Marlon King

to name 5!

GreatGonzo
08-02-2006, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Jza
ID needs to learn to adapt our style and keep other teams guessing

You mean have Plans B, C, and D?

Isn't that what i said? We have plan A that leads to long balls and then we throw on as many strikers as we have available.

Still Dowie is a god! ;) :rolleyes:

JayT
08-02-2006, 12:06 AM
Freedman cannot play with AJ. He will very, very rarely score goals when he plays alongside AJ. The other strikers are lacking confidence. A strikers game is heavily reliant on confidence - if they don't have it, they won't score.

Sussex Eagle
08-02-2006, 12:07 AM
hulse
Trundle
Lita
Marlon King

to name 5!

You are off your rocker.

GreatGonzo
08-02-2006, 12:08 AM
hulse
Trundle
Lita
Marlon King

to name 5!

In order for us to not have the best strike force it would require these players to be at the same club. Erm which they are not! In theory and on paper with our top 4 strikers we should have one of the most feared front-lines week in week out.

Mind you having spent the most in the summer and only overtaken now by Sheff Utd and with the largest wage bill in this league - we should be the most feared team - but most see us for the crap team playing crap 1 dimensional football that we are.

Jza
08-02-2006, 12:09 AM
You mean have Plans B, C, and D?

Isn't that what i said? We have plan A that leads to long balls and then we throw on as many strikers as we have available.

Still Dowie is a god! ;) :rolleyes:

I thought you meant plan A was the long ball....never mind.

Maybe Dowie needs demoting to the Arch-Angel Dowie..... :eek: ;)

Barry
08-02-2006, 12:10 AM
hulse
Trundle
Lita
Marlon King

to name 5!

...both Reading strikers Doyle & Kitson, Cresswell, Earnshaw, Nugent, Young, Kabba, Fryatt, Miller, Jerome, Healy...the list is endless.

People are delusional about the striking merits of Freedman, Macken and Morrison who are very average CCC attackers at best.

GreatGonzo
08-02-2006, 12:16 AM
[BPeople are delusional about the striking merits of Freedman and Morrison who are very average CCC attackers at best. [/B]

Yup goal every game (almost) between them when they play upfont as a pair is distinctly average i have to say!

Oh thats jusr this season - add in the games under Bruce and i think it is even better!

macstar
08-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Yup goal every game (almost) between them when they play upfont as a pair is distinctly average i have to say!

not lately though.

davematt
08-02-2006, 11:12 AM
We should go back to one up front...

I like the look of this team going into the play offs....

-------------Kiraly------------------

Boyce---Popovic---Ward----Granville

----------Aki-----Watson-------

McAnuff----Soares-------Reich

--------------AJ------------------

If we give Tom this kind of attacking role, I think he may flourish. AJ is better on his own than with Dougie, Clinton, and Macken. Dowie wont do this, but I would love to see this tested in the coming weeks.

Falco
08-02-2006, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by davematt

If we give Tom this kind of attacking role, I think he may flourish. AJ is better on his own than with Dougie, Clinton, and Macken. Dowie wont do this, but I would love to see this tested in the coming weeks.

I think it may be worth trying out at some stage. Were we to meet Preston in the Play Offs (which we seem destined to do), we shall need to do some thinking to overcome the fact that our central midfield is simply not as strong or as physical as theirs.

Boyandy
08-02-2006, 11:29 AM

Who is this M Stewart you've mentioned?

If (as I think) you're talking about Marcus Stewart (who isn't exactly pulling up trees at Bristol City at the moment) then you clearly know nothing.

The players ARE good enough - it's just the tactics we have at the moment that leave a lot to be desired.

I agree that we should try the one up front but it'll only work if the midfield actually push up when required.

Simon D
08-02-2006, 12:27 PM
AJ off the bench after an hour.

He may be our best player but none of the other strikers are forming anything resembling a partnership - the only 2 who do are Dougie and Clint.

GreatGonzo speaks with some sense here I feel.

The thing that seems to be most lacking for us is a "successful partnership" up front, the kind of thing that's been forged rather successfully this season by a former CPFC hero managing a team from some remote backwater in Berkshire.

And I can remember the days when we used to have one of the best partnerships ever, in the glory days of Wright/Bright in the early 90's. So three points to whoever knows which Palace hero was it that was responsible for creating said partnership? Am I mistaken or is there a recurrent theme to follow here?

To my eyes, AJ is awesome. His style of play reminds me of the young Alan Shearer, when he could beat defenders easily for pace and didn't have to rely on his elbows. ;)

I say that ID needs to put some serious work in training into getting a proper partner for AJ, otherwise we may not have enough goal-scoring prowess to see us back into the top flight. And should this happen, then we'd better prepare for the top flight clubs to come calling again for AJ in the close season, with offer that we'll find hard to refuse.

Perhaps giving Wayne Andrews or the youngster Lewis Grabban a try in training wouldn't do any harm and if it works then play them?

GreatGonzo
08-02-2006, 12:31 PM
not lately though.

When was the last 2 times they started up front together?

The Luton game where Dowie just went crazy, and Coventry where we won 2-0 although neither scored in that game. Add Brighton at home in and you have the ONLY 3 games they have started as the striking pair that neither have scored!

However since AJ came in they have never been given the chance to start together again! WHY?

bkcbongo
08-02-2006, 12:36 PM
surely, if we're not going to play AJ on his own, and I dont think Dowie would with the other strikers available, Dowie needs to decide on HIS favourite pairing - and stick to it for a run of several matches?

All this talk of which two have the best partnership seems slighlty redundant - to my mind, we dont have any proper partnerships - and none are being given the time needed to develop.

Panther
08-02-2006, 01:03 PM
[BPeople are delusional about the striking merits of Freedman, Macken and Morrison who are very average CCC attackers at best. [/B]

From what I've seen so far I think you're being kind to Macken!

Kiraly_legend
08-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Freedman is a great player to make an impact of the bench and has some talent at this level... BUT doesn't seem to ever work that well with AJ. Still I'd like to see Clinton and AJ play together as really they haven't yet, however with Clinton off the bench (injured maybe I don't know) I doubt we will see him on the pitch... for 90min with AJ.

macstar
08-02-2006, 01:43 PM
When was the last 2 times they started up front together?

The Luton game where Dowie just went crazy, and Coventry where we won 2-0 although neither scored in that game. Add Brighton at home in and you have the ONLY 3 games they have started as the striking pair that neither have scored!

However since AJ came in they have never been given the chance to start together again! WHY?

true.

But he'll never drop AJ. (this must be pi**ing off Dougie and Morrison).

Instead we'll just keep hoooofffffing.

With Morrison in the side at least he can get to the hooofffing.

GreatGonzo
08-02-2006, 04:05 PM
But he'll never drop AJ. (this must be pi**ing off Dougie and Morrison).

But no player should ever be bigger than the team. Look at the effect having under performing players who are never dropped has on teams. Never usually a positive reaction.

He may be our best player but we need to have momentum heading into the play-offs and that might require he does not start.

Away Day Eagle
08-02-2006, 04:07 PM
But no player should ever be bigger than the team. Look at the effect having under performing players who are never dropped has on teams. Never usually a positive reaction.

He may be our best player but we need to have momentum heading into the play-offs and that might require he does not start.

GG

I see your point and there's some merit in it.

But it does seem that AJ is the only who gives a sh1 te about getting the results. Sorry, Boycie wants to know as well.

GreatGonzo
08-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Away Day Eagle
GG

I see your point and there's some merit in it.

But it does seem that AJ is the only who gives a sh1 te about getting the results. Sorry, Boycie wants to know as well.

So what you are saying is 20 odd professional footballers do not want to know? Think the problems lie elsewhere but then people don't like my opinion.

Simon D
08-02-2006, 05:14 PM
So what you are saying is 20 odd professional footballers do not want to know? Think the problems lie elsewhere but then people don't like my opinion.

ID not God in your humble opinion?

Blasphemy!

;)

Melfort Eagle
08-02-2006, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by davematt

I think that if we do play AJ, we should play 4-5-1, instead of experimenting and constantly changing AJ strike partner. Doog and Clint are a great partnership, but AJ will never be dropped.

Son of Shacker
08-02-2006, 06:33 PM
I think they like to walk the ball into the net or they over elaborate

Look at Preston last night. Crossed the ball twice to that lanky streak of piss that is Dichio who hardly had to move and who simply headed it into the net. Simple two touches. Goal.