PDA

View Full Version : A1 Grand Prix

The Omen
08-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Just got tickets for the A1 Grand Prix in Sentul Indonesia (very close to where I live in Bogor).

Really looking forward to it - my first visit to watch a Grand Prix and I get to shout for the Brits while my fiance will be gunning for the Indos.... :) Have tickets for the Grand Stand and also have paddock passes, although I'm not entirely sure how close that will get me to the cars - anyone had one before?

Anyone follow A1? I must admit that I follow it very losely - mainly looking at results.

COME ON BRITAIN! ;) :D

Strathclyde Eagle
08-02-2006, 06:57 PM
Paddock passes won't get you too near anything top notch if my experiences at Brands Hatch are anything to go by. A1 cars are probably kept solely in the pitlane. Will be good for seeing cars in other events though.

gooch1977
08-02-2006, 07:04 PM
My mate went to the UK race last year and absolutley loved it. He had a cracking time.

Have fun.

Kevan Woz Awful
08-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Lucky you, very green with envy.
Jos the boss seems to be supplying most of the entertainment. Watch out for Christian Fittipaldi in the Brazil car he's taking over from Nelson Piquet Jnr for the Indonesia race.

PS If you see Andy Priaulx working for Sky TV tell him his Palace supporting mate says to buy you a drink and get his arse back over here.

Essexeagle
08-02-2006, 10:21 PM
I went to see the Dubai race - it's only a small step down from F1 in terms of noise :)

And the wildly differing standards of driving make for an entertaining race.

jazman
08-02-2006, 10:54 PM
Excellent stuff. I've watched the series as much as I can and to be honest it could go on to bigger and better things. Enjoy the weekend :p

macstar
08-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Getting the impression A1 hasn't been the mega-sucess everyone expected it to be. Don't hear much about it. Am i wrong???

jazman
08-02-2006, 11:15 PM
I don't think it has quite got the coverage as other motor sports but I suspect that will take some time to be taken seriously. F1 was quite good last season which probably didn't help matters but I for one am quite glad that you don't see the glamour in A1 that you have in F1. I do hope that it survives and long term I am sure it will be a success.

The Omen
09-02-2006, 03:26 AM
I like the idea of using countries. Gives people like me someone to support and makes it more interesting.

I sometimes watch F1, but can't get into being excited about any of the teams or drivers like I am with Crystal Palace in football.

They're expecting a big crowd at Sentul this weekend. Indonesia doesn't often get the chance to host a World sporting event.

Essexeagle
09-02-2006, 09:54 AM
Dubai was empty...the funniest thing though was there were about 5,000 Lebanese there to cheer on their team. And apart from the bad designer fashions on display - the Lebanese driver rewarded their worship by crashing on the warm up lap :)

Bintang
09-02-2006, 10:04 AM
Carl

You forgot to mention that the tickets cost only 12 quid for the 2 days. Try getting near an F1 for that price.

Don't forget your earplugs.

The Omen
09-02-2006, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Bintang
Carl

You forgot to mention that the tickets cost only 12 quid for the 2 days. Try getting near an F1 for that price.

Don't forget your earplugs.

You don't fancy the trip then Phil?

Bintang
09-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by The Omen
You don't fancy the trip then Phil?

Was going to the original one before it was canceled. Am flying to England on Monday and don't want to spend a day out on Sunday.

Kevan Woz Awful
09-02-2006, 05:48 PM
It's just been announced that teams will be restricted to one chassis this weekend. Teams 2nd chassis have been taken back by the organisers to form a 'spares' pool apparently.

I hope that this is not a precursor to problems with the series but their have been rumours that the series has hit financial trouble.
Some suppliers and teams were unwilling to commit to the South African round two weeks ago until they received assurances over outstanding payments.

The Omen
10-02-2006, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by Kevan Woz Awful
It's just been announced that teams will be restricted to one chassis this weekend. Teams 2nd chassis have been taken back by the organisers to form a 'spares' pool apparently.

I hope that this is not a precursor to problems with the series but their have been rumours that the series has hit financial trouble.
Some suppliers and teams were unwilling to commit to the South African round two weeks ago until they received assurances over outstanding payments.

Hope there's no problems this weekend! :)

berg787
10-02-2006, 03:00 AM
my first visit to watch a Grand Prix and I get to shout for the Brits while my fiance will be gunning for the Indos.... :)

slightly off-topic....didnt know you were engaged....congrats mate....did you meet her out there??:lux:

Rob W
10-02-2006, 03:56 AM
The wife and I went to the race at Sepang (Malaysia) and enjoyed the day out. Compared to the F1 event the circuit was very empty.

Price wise it was very good about RM200 (30) for free seating in the main stand over the 3 days. In comparison the same seats for F1 cost about 250-300.

We also got the pit pass's for the Saturday and after the event at about 4pm we were allowed to walk around to the pits. During the walk about we say several drivers and I went into the Team GB pit and was happy chatting to the crew until some Malay security guy removed me :(

During the weekend people were giving away lots of free Team Malaysia t-shirts which was nice.

Another good idea was several autograph sessions with ALL the drivers.

The racing was good and the noise was about the same as F1 but the cars are slower topping out at about 170mph on the straight.

In Malaysia the coverage is good but however in the UK I 6 that its only on sky so no mainstream coverage.

If people are interested I can post some pictures??

The Omen
12-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Wow! What a day. A really great experience, never thought I would enjoy it so much.

Great entertainment and my paddock passes were SUPERB! Could pretty much go anywhere! Walked into the GB pit while they were working on the car... no problem. Walked into a private room to watch the action... no problem. Got within feet of standing on the podium... slight problem! :)

It's certainly the noisiest thing I've ever experienced too. If you haven't been to a motor racing event, it's impossible to imagine just how noisey it is. My ears are still ringing.

What were GB team doing?! Should've won it - sadly bad pit timing decisions meant we finished 10th and Canada came all the way from the back to nick top spot with Malaysia and Australia coming 2nd and 3rd respectively.

Indonesia's driver tried so hard! Sadly he came off about 5 times and finsihed 15th. :D

Some photos:

Grand Stand

The Omen
12-02-2006, 11:13 AM
Grand Stand 2

The Omen
12-02-2006, 11:15 AM
GB Parachute nearly collides with another!!

(Poor quality photo - soz)

The Omen
12-02-2006, 11:16 AM
GB Car

The Omen
12-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Aussie car

The Omen
12-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Starting grid

The Omen
12-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Starting Grid 2

The Omen
12-02-2006, 11:20 AM
GB leads!!!!! And then throws it away... :sob:

The Omen
12-02-2006, 11:21 AM
I was so close to the car - I nearly got in and gave it a test drive!!! :)

GB were very friendly and didn't mind me getting in there way, which was nice. :)

The Omen
12-02-2006, 11:23 AM
Didn't work...

The Omen
12-02-2006, 11:27 AM
Sadly the small video footage I took is too big to upload here (2.19mb) so I will just upload the sound.

You have to turn your speakers up to maximum - and then imagine it ten times louder - to get an idea of what it was like!

Rob W
13-02-2006, 12:51 AM
Oman,

Were you allowed in the pits during the qualifying or only afterwards?

The Omen
13-02-2006, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Rob W
Oman,

Were you allowed in the pits during the qualifying or only afterwards?

I only went for the main race. Was allowed in the pits - pretty much anywhere infact throughout the whole day. Security was VERY low. Quite scary.

Essexeagle
13-02-2006, 08:22 AM

It's certainly the noisiest thing I've ever experienced too. If you haven't been to a motor racing event, it's impossible to imagine just how noisey it is. My ears are still ringing.

Did you make the mistake of not wearing ear plugs :)

F1 is louder by the way...utterly deafening when you listen to the cacophony of noise as they wait for the lights on the starting grid!

The Omen
13-02-2006, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Essexeagle
Did you make the mistake of not wearing ear plugs :)

WHAT? Can you speak up a bit please mate... ;)