PDA

View Full Version : Winter Olympics

Jonboy
09-02-2006, 04:36 PM
With the winter Olympics about to start tomorrow, I guess it’s time to get a thread going.

Does the UK have any realistic chances for medals this time round? Figure skating has usually been the most productive discipline but I suppose there is always a chance of a repeat in women’s curling.

For Canadians this is much more fun than the summer version. Canadians don’t really do summer sports. While the rest of the world are getting into athletics, cricket, golf and the like Canadians go camping. If the summer games included a medal for hanging around a lake in the middle of nowhere for weeks on end then they would win gold every time. Until this happens we’ll have to concentrate on the winter stuff. 17 medals in Salt Lake City, the target this time is 25 and 3rd overall, with 35 and 1st place in Vancouver in 2010.

Best of all is the hockey equivalent of the World Cup.

Santos-er
09-02-2006, 04:45 PM
Ice Skating is the only thing worth watching the winter olympics for :)

davematt
09-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Santos-er
Ice Skating is the only thing worth watching the winter olympics for :)

:D

Ice Hockey is played in the winter games isnt it??

Jonboy
09-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by davematt
:D

Ice Hockey is played in the winter games isnt it??

Yup, hockey in the winter games. I understand that field hockey is a summer sport. :)

SpikeyMatt
09-02-2006, 05:06 PM
Are we entering a curling team again?

crystal essex
09-02-2006, 05:14 PM
I've been told Chemmy Alcott in the Super G has a chance. and she's not bad looking

britabroad
09-02-2006, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Jonboy
With the winter Olympics about to start tomorrow, I guess it’s time to get a thread going.

Does the UK have any realistic chances for medals this time round? Figure skating has usually been the most productive discipline but I suppose there is always a chance of a repeat in women’s curling.

For Canadians this is much more fun than the summer version. Canadians don’t really do summer sports. While the rest of the world are getting into athletics, cricket, golf and the like Canadians go camping. If the summer games included a medal for hanging around a lake in the middle of nowhere for weeks on end then they would win gold every time. Until this happens we’ll have to concentrate on the winter stuff. 17 medals in Salt Lake City, the target this time is 25 and 3rd overall, with 35 and 1st place in Vancouver in 2010.

Best of all is the hockey equivalent of the World Cup.

I wonder if anyone has planted a Toonie in the ice yet?;)

Jonboy
09-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by britabroad
I wonder if anyone has planted a Toonie in the ice yet?;)

Well, the guy who prepares the ice surface is a Canuck so who knows?

sydney eagle
09-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Time to watch cool runnings to get in the mood:D

The aussie team has some hot women in it:p

Andy08
09-02-2006, 09:19 PM
I heard we have a skier, i bet she has a great chance.

Strathclyde Eagle
10-02-2006, 02:11 PM
When does the Ice Hockey start? The coverage on interactive the beeb four years ago was really good, looking forward to more of the same.

Daddy Long
10-02-2006, 02:13 PM
Alan Baxter has a chance if he doesn't get done for substance abuse this time. We also have a downhill skier, can't remember his name, a sweaty, who has a chance. Could pick up a couple of bobsleigh/ luge medals and snowboarding too.

oz_da II
10-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
When does the Ice Hockey start? The coverage on interactive the beeb four years ago was really good, looking forward to more of the same.

Wednesday

http://www.torino2006.org/ENG/IDF/IH/X05.html

It's the only thing to watch at the Winter Olympics.

paf
10-02-2006, 02:34 PM
chucking yourself off a mountian on a teatray, an olympic sort, bleuurgh.....

GreatGonzo
10-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
Alan Baxter has a chance if he doesn't get done for substance abuse this time. We also have a downhill skier, can't remember his name, a sweaty, who has a chance. Could pick up a couple of bobsleigh/ luge medals and snowboarding too.

Alan Baxter has very little chance, Finlay Mickel would do well to get in the top 5 or 6. If you think we have a chance in the snowboarding you are way out - the ONLY male to qualify has a best placed 5th in the world cup which was at the last event which 3 of the best nations missed to prepare. The women have more qualifiers but still a long way behind the rest of the world. We could always cause a shock in an event or 2 but realistically we will do well to win 1 medal.

sstackho
10-02-2006, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by oz_da II
Wednesday

Ahem.

That would be ignoring 50% of the hockey taking place at the Olympics. The ladies start on Saturday. Canada v Italy, that should be a close one! :clown:

sstackho
10-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Actually, I take that back. Thankfully there are more men's matches than women's.

They've made a definite improvement in the men's format this time around. In 2002, the first three matches played by the big 6 countries were only relevant for ranking going into the knockout round. They all made the knockout round regardless.

This year, they have 12 teams in the round-robin, and 8 of those make it to the knockout round. Much better format, and more games too. :lux:

dougdeep
11-02-2006, 05:51 AM
Bring on the Bobsleigh.

GreatGonzo
12-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by dougdeep
Bring on the Bobsleigh.

Womens 2-man is our best chance of a medal IMO.

petertaylor11
13-02-2006, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by sstackho
The ladies start on Saturday. Canada v Italy, that should be a close one! :clown:

16-0 Canada. 12-0 Canada V Russia.
There's talk Canada should ease up a bit, but what do you do, tap the puck to the goalie?

DDD
13-02-2006, 03:23 PM
three fat lesbians sliding a large tea kettle down ice with brooms - who the f**k thought that one up......

Dom the Eagle
13-02-2006, 03:58 PM
GB just beat Canada 3-2 in the Women's Curling. GB men beat Italy earlier.

GreatGonzo
13-02-2006, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Dom the Eagle
GB just beat Canada 3-2 in the Women's Curling. GB men beat Italy earlier.

Are you sure about that?

Could have sworn they were danish what with DANMARK written on their backs! ;)

Bloody boring match too.

Jonboy
13-02-2006, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by DDD
three fat lesbians sliding a large tea kettle down ice with brooms - who the f**k thought that one up......

I think it was the Sweaties originally.

The Omen
14-02-2006, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
Womens 2-man is our best chance of a medal IMO.

I assume you are reading your information from somewhere as I can't believe you really follow womens 2-man (women) bob sleigh...

GreatGonzo
14-02-2006, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by The Omen
I assume you are reading your information from somewhere as I can't believe you really follow womens 2-man (women) bob sleigh...

Religiously, never miss a race! ;)

Saw a lot of the pre-tournament build up over the past month or so on BBC and various places (usually trying to find out about the snowboarding) From all of that my thought is we might have a chance there, potentially very good pair but not been together all that long and experience could cost them but on their day anything could happen.

Just surprised that people suggested we could get anything in snowboarding and men's downhill though - we are so far off the pace it is unreal - same with luge. The problem is we have no facilities in this country. Yes our best can go and train abroad but how do you find the best? We can't we just train who there is to be as good as they can be.

Best women's half-pipe snowboarder for GB was 20th and the gulf between her and the medals just about unmeasurable.

We did not look confident in the women's curling earlier (didn't see the men's) and even the skating we are nowhere to be seen really so far.

wilf789
14-02-2006, 01:57 AM
Winter Olympics are fantastic, but absolutely mental. How many times must one be dropped on ones head as a baby to want to participate in events like the luge and that massive ski-jumping.
One of the wipeouts today in the women's luge was phenomenal, her arm was flailing behind her while she skidded along at 100 Km/H. Similar one to an American high-speed skier, mental I'm telling you....

Chocky
14-02-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by DDD

LOL.

Although I think the captain of the GB team is actually a bloke. He used to play for Blackburn.

GreatGonzo
14-02-2006, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by wilf789
Winter Olympics are fantastic, but absolutely mental. How many times must one be dropped on ones head as a baby to want to participate in events like the luge and that massive ski-jumping.
One of the wipeouts today in the women's luge was phenomenal, her arm was flailing behind her while she skidded along at 100 Km/H. Similar one to an American high-speed skier, mental I'm telling you....

It the sports that are in the X-Games as well that look great but can go horribly wrong. The half pipe has a 90 degree angle of sharp ice on either side that competitors can and have hit hard. Freestyle skiing the jumps are becoming far more dangerous now they are allowed somersaults and back flips in there. That is without including a downhill skiing crashing on ice.

But lets be honest it is the tricks and the crashes that make the games so watchable - why is it that more people are at the half-pip and freestyle than at the curling?

DDD
14-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Chocky
LOL.

Although I think the captain of the GB team is actually a bloke. He used to play for Blackburn.

God yes - Very Colin Hendry isnt he / she :p

DDD
14-02-2006, 12:46 PM
I think it was the Sweaties originally.

The long winter Aberdeen evenings must just fly by....

Jonboy
14-02-2006, 04:51 PM
I did try curling once. I never managed to understand the tactics. As a simple man, I would think that the object of the game is to get your rocks as near to the centre of the target as possible. After all, that is how you score. Despite this it seems that most of the good curlers deliberately place most of there rocks nowhere near the target. The skill with which they can place the rocks miles away from where I think they ought to be is immense. But why?

However, I can report that curling requires the consumption of copious quantities of beer. Which is good.

Strathclyde Eagle
14-02-2006, 05:13 PM
Did you need to take your own broom Jonboy?

BTW at least it has defined scoring, unlike skating and anything else decided by judges.

sstackho
14-02-2006, 07:28 PM
The problem with putting a rock right near the target is that it is easy for your opponent to knock out your rock and leave theirs in a good position.

In addition, if a team scores in an end, then that team has to shoot first in the next end. It is to your advantage to shoot last, so teams will often clear out all the rocks instead of scoring points in order to maintain that advantage.

Apparently in the Olympics, you are not allowed to drink beer on the ice. :(

oz_da II
15-02-2006, 07:41 AM
After a couple of days of prancing about, the Winter Olympics finally starts tonight.

Strathclyde Eagle
15-02-2006, 04:49 PM
Ice Hockey under way. :lux:

No word on whether or not my boss is watching the two-man luge or not. :eek:

jazman
15-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Bobsleigh has more than a passing interest with me as I trained with the squad at Thorpe Park a number of years ago. Sadly couldn't obtain the funds to go for a full trial in Switzerland but it was fun all the same.

There have been a few spectacular crashes in the downhill events so far and the luge the other night proving that these sports are extremely dangerous.

Jonboy
16-02-2006, 02:16 AM

I have been trying to think of a humerous answer to this, but I can't.

No, the rink can supply them.

oz_da II
16-02-2006, 03:34 AM
Well played to the Seppos.
Did well to tie it up.

:clown:

Stigma
16-02-2006, 08:40 AM
Live Olympics via the net:

http://www.nos.nl/winterspelen2006/...gina/index.html

Here you can follow up to 6 different events at the same time!
Good quality and completely free..

Ruskin Old Boy
16-02-2006, 04:33 PM

The curlers are often known as "ice janitors"

si1965
16-02-2006, 05:39 PM
Womens 2-man

Do they carry the 2 men along as passengers or do they just cross-dress? :o

LLCOOLSTEVE
16-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Go on Shelley :lux:

LLCOOLSTEVE
16-02-2006, 05:59 PM
woooohooo we have a medal :lux:

paf
16-02-2006, 06:13 PM
the 2 man luge, man sex on a sledge.

Though, Gerhard Planksteiner & Oswald Haselreider, the funniest Italian names of all time. Yes, Italian.

Chester 76
16-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Congratulations Shelley, Silver medal :lux: despite having to rely on local fund raising.

GreatGonzo
17-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Her bf and the other GB skeleton male after lying 3 and 4 at the half way stage have both failed to medal.

Love the fact Skeleton riders call lugers 'losers' and they both call bobsleders 'bus-drivers' :p

Andy08
17-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Well done to Shelly Rudman, good luck to the curling team

jazman
19-02-2006, 08:53 PM
The GB men curlers look well placed right now but the women face a bit of a struggle to get in the semi's sadly

GreatGonzo
20-02-2006, 04:04 PM
GB men now finished in top 4 surely got to medal, good enough to get gold - lets hope so.

Women's 2-man bob starts in just over an hour! World Championships silver medalists GB could go well although they won silver on a track more suited to them. We have the most inexperienced pilot but she gets it right and anything is possible.

Kerrs not going to medal in the ice hockey, women's curlers look out (can't see Denmark beating Canada) so only really 2 medal opportunities left.

Chester 76
20-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Great second run for the Women`s Bobsleigh team, fastest on that run meant sixth at the end of the first day. Just 0.34 seconds behind first place & only 0.24 seconds from a medal.

GreatGonzo
20-02-2006, 11:41 PM
Shame about the Canadians last stone against Denmark but the GB team only have themselves to blame for some poor curling in the last couple of days. Although ironically they finished with a better record in the round robin this time than they did when winning gold!

Womens 2-man bob still got a lot to do. Germany 1 has an awesome record but if we can put a couple more runs together like the second today i think we have a good chance.

Jonboy
21-02-2006, 01:00 AM
Canadians win gold for the women's hockey. Job half done. However, the men are going to have to improve by a country mile if they are going to finish the job.

Overpaid, passionless, prima donnas ... mutter, mutter, mutter

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 01:22 AM
Canadians win gold for the women's hockey. Job half done. However, the men are going to have to improve by a country mile if they are going to finish the job.

Overpaid, passionless, prima donnas ... mutter, mutter, mutter

Wasn't tough though. Eased into the 4-0 lead and took their foot off the pedal if anything.

Need to get past your bobsled in the women's 2-man even if your driver is really British! ;)

No Canada or USA in the men's hockey semi's coming up - that should make things interesting! ;)

oz_da II
21-02-2006, 02:05 AM
No Canada or USA in the men's hockey semi's coming up - that should make things interesting! ;)

Another sporting blunder from Gonzo.

The next stage in the men's ice hockey is the quarterfinals of which Canada has already qualified.
The States have not yet qualified for the quarterfinals.

Any danger in getting something right for a change Gonzo?

Johnson
21-02-2006, 09:19 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by oz_da II
Any danger in getting something right for a change Gonzo? [/QUOTE

:D :D

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 12:22 PM
Another sporting blunder from Gonzo.

The next stage in the men's ice hockey is the quarterfinals of which Canada has already qualified.
The States have not yet qualified for the quarterfinals.

Any danger in getting something right for a change Gonzo?

Did i say they would not make the quarter-finals? Erm no

Way they are all playing can't see USA beating Finland and Canada could struggle against Slovakia or Russia which i think would be their 1/4 finals.

Sorry to point this out to you but it only gets interesting at the semi-final stage cos that is where the medals are! :rolleyes:

oz_da II
21-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Did i say they would not make the quarter-finals? Erm no

Way they are all playing can't see USA beating Finland and Canada could struggle against Slovakia or Russia which i think would be their 1/4 finals.

Sorry to point this out to you but it only gets interesting at the semi-final stage cos that is where the medals are! :rolleyes:

You said they aren't in the semis, implying they were out.

No Canada or USA in the men's hockey semi's coming up

Nice try, mate.

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 03:04 PM
NO i said that they will not make the semis hence 'coming up' as in going to happen.

You think they will make the semis and a chance to medal?

Even if it was the top 2 Canada would still have a chance of qualifying, although far more likely they will finish 3rd or 4th depending on their match with czech rep in a couple of hours.

oz_da II
21-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Canada are still favourites.
Group games mean very little.

oz_da II
21-02-2006, 03:19 PM
NO i said that they will not make the semis hence 'coming up' as in going to happen.

You're kidding yourself. What do you know about ice hockey? On par with your cricket knowledge?

Les Butler
21-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Must admit Gonz..I was thinking the same as Oz

Jesus the TV here in Canada missed one...;)

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 03:26 PM
You're kidding yourself. What do you know about ice hockey? On par with your cricket knowledge?

I know a little about Ice Hockey although not a great amount and i have watched a few of the games. Canada and USA may have a lot of stars but are not playing as a team as well as a few others.

Group games don't matter if you win the knock-outs but form and confidence will be running high in their opponents.

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Les Butler
Must admit Gonz..I was thinking the same as Oz

Jesus the TV here in Canada missed one...;)

Maybe the way i put it then ;)

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 03:28 PM
Oz you never said - do you think both Canada and USA will make the semis?

Les Butler
21-02-2006, 03:28 PM
Stop trying to weezle out of it :)

Les Butler
21-02-2006, 03:30 PM
We all think here that Wayne's Misses has had a few bets....

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Didn't the same thing happen in the summer games one time in the basketball where the NBA stars couldn't get it together or am i imagining that?

Les Butler
21-02-2006, 03:35 PM
Game just started

oz_da II
21-02-2006, 03:40 PM
Oz you never said - do you think both Canada and USA will make the semis?

You said they weren't in them....

Canada will, USA won't.

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 03:43 PM
You said they weren't in them....

Canada will, USA won't.

NO NO i didn't, apologies if that is how you read it. I meant i don't think they will given their positions and likely opponents combined with the way they have played. Canada have only beaten Italy and Germany so a lot depends on this match.

Les Butler
21-02-2006, 03:44 PM
1 zip Canada

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Good start for Canada though.

Les Butler
21-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Good start for Canada though.

You have the game on Gonz ?

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Yep really poor goal, hit and hope from distance and through the keepers knees!

oz_da II
21-02-2006, 03:48 PM
NO NO i didn't, apologies if that is how you read it.

I can hear you backpeddling from here.

Les Butler
21-02-2006, 03:52 PM
2 zip

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 03:52 PM
2-0 on the powerplay nice tight angle.

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 03:55 PM
Couple of nice saves from the Canadians - could easily be 2-2

Les Butler
21-02-2006, 04:04 PM
3 zip

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 04:04 PM
3-0 but how the Czechs haven't scored i am not sure.

Les Butler
21-02-2006, 04:06 PM
They have to put it in the net Gonz,thats how you score in Hockey mate......

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 04:07 PM
They have to put it in the net net Gonz,thats how you score in Hockey mate......

You watching it?

Swap the keepers (netminders whatever you call them) and different story, 1 has been excellent, the other not so good.

Les Butler
21-02-2006, 04:12 PM
You watching it?

Swap the keepers (netminders whatever you call them) and different story, 1 has been excellent, the other not so good.

You see how it works then Gonz,the Canadian goaltender plays for Canada and the Czech goaltender plays for the Czechs.

They are not allowed to swap goaltenders even if one is better than the other.

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 04:15 PM
Stop being an arse - you know what i mean.

First through his knees, second not sure how it got through from the angle it did even on the replays. 3rd was well placed from distance right into the bottom corner.

Canadian though has used gloves, pads, stick and kept everything out. Shots on goal is pretty even i think.

You watching it and seen the goals?

Jonboy
21-02-2006, 04:18 PM
We could apply the same idea to soccer. Whenever Palace play a team with a decent left back or goal-scoring mid fielder, we should ask the opposition if they can play for us. It would make the game much fairer. I’m shocked that Dowie hasn’t brought this idea into his team tactics.:)

Jonboy
21-02-2006, 04:22 PM
You can’t really go by shots on goal. I can’t remember the numbers but in the last two games Canada out-shot their opponents by a huge margin. Against Switzerland they came up against a hot goaltender who stole the game. It is part and parcel of hockey. The goaltender is part of the team and a good team needs a good goalie to win the occasional game for them.

Garbage goals are good. A lot of criticism of the Canadians so far is that they are playing like a team of all stars trying the fancy passes and the pretty goals. What they needed to do was to get in front of the net, put bodies in front of the opposition goal keeper, and stuff a couple of rebounds in.

Les Butler
21-02-2006, 04:23 PM
Stop being an arse - you know what i mean.

First through his knees, second not sure how it got through from the angle it did even on the replays. 3rd was well placed from distance right into the bottom corner.

Canadian though has used gloves, pads, stick and kept everything out. Shots on goal is pretty even i think.

You watching it and seen the goals?

In the game of Hockey the rules state you can use gloves, pads, sticks to keep the puck out of the net,you are right ,I think someone has not told the Czechs this ...Give erm a ring !

The shots on goal means much but being 3-0 up usually means a lot more.....

Yes I have the game on and I have seen the goals.

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 04:23 PM
Net minder pulled!

Lets see if it has a difference.

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 04:30 PM
Czechs on top again and Canada breakaway - new net minder - no goal this time.

Les Butler
21-02-2006, 04:31 PM
Czechs on top again and Canada breakaway - new net minder - no goal this time.

What game are you watching Gonz for christ sake

Les Butler
21-02-2006, 04:34 PM
The Czechs have a lot of the possession of the puck but chance wise not much compared to Canada

Jonboy
21-02-2006, 04:35 PM
CBC reporting that Team Canada have a new game strategy: "Score early, score often."

It could be a winner. :)

Les Butler
21-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Now theres a real chance for the the Czechs

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 04:37 PM
Both had one cleared off the line now.

Les Butler
21-02-2006, 04:40 PM
What a save !!!!

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 04:40 PM
What a great save! If he goes off could change the game a bit.

Les Butler
21-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Opps two pens..Here we go

Les Butler
3-1

GreatGonzo
3-1

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 04:45 PM
Damn you Butler be a bit slower!

There is a delay of a second or two on coverage here as it is on interactive.

oz_da II
21-02-2006, 04:50 PM
What a great save! If he goes off could change the game a bit.

:confused:

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 04:51 PM
:confused:

Why you confused? Brodeur (sp?) looked as though he could have been injured and going off at the time.

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 05:15 PM
3-2 game on

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 05:19 PM
21-14 in shots to the Czechs after 2 periods. Well on top in the 3rd too.

What game you watching Butler? ;)

oz_da II
21-02-2006, 05:32 PM
Why you confused? Brodeur (sp?) looked as though he could have been injured and going off at the time.

Coming off? You don't know Brodeur. He'd only leave the pipes in a body bag.

LLCOOLSTEVE
21-02-2006, 05:33 PM
The English commentary is crap :D

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE
The English commentary is crap :D

The co-commentartor is so pro-canada it is funny.

Earlier he PROMISED us that St Louis would score more goals in this game! :p

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Coming off? You don't know Brodeur. He'd only leave the pipes in a body bag.

Or maybe a hyperextended knee which they thought he had - wasn't moving well for a while!

Cracking game this though.

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 05:44 PM
3-2 Canada but not sure if it was enough for them with 2 more goalless periods. Brodeur the difference between the sides really.

sstackho
21-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Fun stuff, but the loser of this game is most likely to face the Slovaks, assuming that the Swedes throw their game later today in order to play Switzerland in the quaters. The winner will probably face Russia.

After Vokoun let in that very very weak first goal, I was certainly asking questions. The Czechs played hard to the end, although a draw would still keep them in the potentially safer 4th place.

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Both sides scored 1 good goal, the other 3 question marks on the goal tenders.

1/4s tomorrow aren't they?

Les Butler
21-02-2006, 05:49 PM
21-14 in shots to the Czechs after 2 periods. Well on top in the 3rd too.

What game you watching Butler? ;)

What did yhe Czechs win on the shots on goal Gonz ?

In hockey it's the goals that win mate,try to remember that in the next game ok because I will not be explaining the rules to you again.

;)

sstackho
21-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Yes, quarters tomorrow, with Canada at 7:30 or 8:30pm GMT. The match-ups will be decided later today.

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 05:54 PM
What did yhe Czechs win on the shots on goal Gonz ?

In hockey it's the goals that win mate,try to remember that in the next game ok because I will not be explaining the rules to you again.

;)

LOL just see it as they were on top for most of the game! Couple of goaltender errors really cost them.

Still won't make the semi's! ;)

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Anyway onto proper sports that GB might have a chance in.

Women's 2-man bob.

GreatGonzo
21-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Oh well there goes any medal hope there.

Palace_Brasted
21-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Great Hockey game between US & Russia on now!

Palace_Brasted
21-02-2006, 11:17 PM
So now the Mens hockey gets serious.

For those that dont know much about hockey I have put together a preview of the games, that you should be able to find on TV/Net somewhere tomorrow. This promises to be the best Ice Hockey you will ever see!!

Tomorrow afternoon 3.30pm - BBC Interactive?
SWITZERLAND (2nd Group A) v SWEDEN (3rd Group B)
The Suisse are the shock team of the Olympics so far, they qualified with a 2-2-1 record when no pre tournament predictions gave them a hope. Scored a historic 2-0 victory over a tired Canada and were more impressive in their 3-2 victory over the Czechs. They have the least amount of NHL players in the remaining teams (3) but they play an organised system. Never the less the Swedes must really fancy their chances in this one. Having remained unbeaten but un impressive in their group (finishing 3rd with a 3-0-2 record). After an embarrassing loss to Latvia at the same stage in Salt Lake City in 2002 the Swedes will be expected to avoid another early exit against un-fancied opposition.
SWEDE to WATCH - Daniel Alfredsson 4 Goals in qualifying, expected to deliver
SWISS to Watch - David Aebischer NHL Goalie will have to stand tall
PREDICTION – Swiss Fairytale comes to an end.

Tomorrow 5.35pm – BBC Interactive?
FINLAND (WINNER Group A) V USA (4th Group B)
Unbeaten Finland are one of the surprises of the tournament so far, gaining a 100% record and topping group A, including impressive victories over Canada and the Czechs. The play a tight defensive style and conceded only 2 goals in qualifying. They will go into this match as Hot favourites. Question mark in goal as injuries mean they are down to their 3rd choice keeper Antero Niittymaki .Their 1st Offensive line is on fire and Teemu Selanne, Jere Lehtinen and Saku Koivu will be hoping to continue their good form.
The USA on the other hand come into the game with a dismal 1-1-3 record, their only victory a 4-1 score over no hopers Kazakhstan. They played a better game in the final group game against the old enemy the Russians, going down 5-4. The Yanks will need to match the intensity levels they showed in that game to stand any chance against the well disciplined Finns. Unless veteran players like Mike Modano (36) Keith Tkachuk (34) Bill Guerin (35) and Doug Weight (35) can recapture some of the form that saw them take silver in 2002 then this may well be a humiliating early exit.
FINNI TO WATCH - Teemu Selanne The “Finnish Flash”
YANK TO WATCH - Mike Modano Veteran NHL All star in possibly his last Olympics?
PREDICTION – Finland may just be too strong for an ageing USA team.

Tomorrow evening 7.35pm – Eurosport/BBC Interavtive
CANADA (3rd GROUP A) V RUSSIA (2nd Group B)
Pre Tournament Favourites and reigning Champions Canada have yet to hit top gear going 3W-2L in qualifying, consecutive loses to the Swiss and the Finns hit them hard, but they bounced back nicely against the Czechs. They have the offensive tools but their big guns have yet to fire. NHL Superstars like Joe Thornton has only 1 goal. Rick Nash, Vincent Lecavalier & Todd Bertuzzi all have yet to score.However Canada showed in Salt Lake City that they can show up when it matters most but they will need to be at the best to beat Russia.
The Russians only dropped their first game against Slovakia and they have scored the most goals in qualifying (a whooping 23 goals including 9 against Latvia and 5 each against Sweden and the US.) They have possibly the 3 hottest young goalscorers in the world right now Alexander Ovechkin (20) Ilya Kovalchuk (22) & Evgeni Malkin (19) have been on fire in their 5 qualifying games. Without a shadow of a doubt this will be the Highlight game of the ¼ Finals and would be worthy of the Gold Medal game.
CANADIAN TO WATCH - Martin Brodeur (G) in the Hot seat
RUSSIAN TO WATCH – Alexander Ovechkin 19 Year old NHL Rookie is a superstar already
PREDICTION – Too Close to call, Should be a thriller.

Tomorrow night 8.30pm Eurosport/BBC Interactive
CZECH REPUBLIC (A4) v SLOKIA (B1)
98 Gold Medal winners Czech Republic have been hard hit by injuries to NHL star goalie Dominic Hasek and New Jersey Devils centre Patrick Elias. The struggled through their group in last qualifying place losing 3 times to Finland, Switzerland and Canada. They do have one hope left, the NHL leading scorer Jaromir Jagr Who has only just himself returned to the lineup after he was roughed up by the Finns. Jagr will be heavily relied upon by the Czech but is a potential match winner.
The Slovakians are another surprise team to a lot of analysts, they were ranked 5th re tournament, but won their group with an impressive 5-0 record. The Slovak top line of Marian Hossa, Marian Gaborik & Pavol Demitra has combined for 9 of the teams 18 goals. Should be a highly entertaining match up between 2 arch rivals
CZECH 2 Watch – Jaromir Jagr The NHL scoring machine
SLOVAK 2 Watch - . 6’9” man mountain on defense Zdeno Chara.
PREDICTION – Too close to call this local derby match will be highly contested and may even go down to the dreaded Shootout

swissroll
22-02-2006, 03:39 PM
And my call

Probable straightforward victories
Sweden
Finland

Likely
In-form Russia to take out a poor (so far) Canada

Slightly favour
Slovakia

Jonboy
22-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by swissroll

Likely
In-form Russia to take out a poor (so far) Canada

Unfortunately, I think you are probably right. Don Cherry (always worth listening to on hockey matters) reckons that Canada need to establish a forecheck. I can see his point. They are like an all-star team doing all the pretty stuff, but there are no agitators, no checkers, and no one providing the energy and emotion to get the team fired up. Cherry’s solution is to use the Sakic-Iginla-Bertuzzi line as the checking line. Sakic to dump the puck into the corners and Iginla and Bertuzzi to work the Russian defense men along the back boards. You can imagine that even the toughest defender will start to look for quick ways to get rid of the puck if he knows that every time he turns his back on the play he’s going to get 240lbs of Canadian slamming him into the glass.

I wonder if Wayne was listening.

Palace_Brasted
22-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Unfortunately, I think you are probably right. Don Cherry (always worth listening to on hockey matters) reckons that Canada need to establish a forecheck. I can see his point. They are like an all-star team doing all the pretty stuff, but there are no agitators, no checkers, and no one providing the energy and emotion to get the team fired up. Cherry’s solution is to use the Sakic-Iginla-Bertuzzi line as the checking line. Sakic to dump the puck into the corners and Iginla and Bertuzzi to work the Russian defense men along the back boards. You can imagine that even the toughest defender will start to look for quick ways to get rid of the puck if he knows that every time he turns his back on the play he’s going to get 240lbs of Canadian slamming him into the glass.

I wonder if Wayne was listening.

Typical Cherry, crash, bang, wallop.

Not sure it will work on the bigger ice surface but what options do Canada have? if they try to run and gun them like the USA did, they will surely get beaten. They need to keep their discipline (speacial teams will be huge), Broduer has to stand on his head and the offense has to find their form.

Other than that it will be a walk in the park!

Jonboy
22-02-2006, 09:47 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:sob:

Palace_Brasted
22-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Best team won by far, Canada didnt show up. Russia should take the gold now

swissroll
22-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Not sure how the semis are drawn at the mo but would like to see Sweden/Russia final - fairly even teams and an in form Sundin can turn a game.

Canada reminded me of the dream team that failed 8 years ago - too many of the team seemed to be pre-selected at the start of the season. Better in-form players got left behind.

oz_da II
22-02-2006, 10:29 PM
I suppose this is the sort of result one gets when you've got a Leaf in charge.

Oh well, at least the Yanks lost as well.

Get Grapes in charge of the next one.
At home, old time hockey. :p

Duffle Coat
22-02-2006, 10:37 PM
Sweden are having a super OS as they call it here. Winning a gold medal a day, two today. Anja Persson. If there is a more genuine athlete then I would like to see him or her. The woman is well worth that gold medal.

Palace_Brasted
23-02-2006, 08:38 AM

I though it was a Coyote in charge?

Slovak Eagle
23-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Sad to see the Slovaks go out to the "old enemy" especially after some good performances in the group phase. They didn't really seem at the races with two poor goals conceeded especially the break-away underhand 1st goal with the 2nd goal down to inability to clear the zone. I don't know how we didn't manage to equalize when the puck was almost on the line and the netminder just laid on the puck so prevent the equalizer. Once Budaj had been pulled it was a risk we had to take but it didn't pay off. I thought we had a good chance of making the finals this year. Typical Slovakia really.

GreatGonzo
23-02-2006, 01:20 PM

So what you are saying is no USA or Canada in the semi's actually happened?

Well i never. :p

oz_da II
23-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Palace_Brasted
I though it was a Coyote in charge?

Well what was Pat Quinn doing there?
Getting shut out three times on an Olympic size rink is a national disgrace.
Hang your head in shame, Quinn. More of the same for the Leafs please.

oz_da II
23-02-2006, 02:06 PM
So what you are saying is no USA or Canada in the semi's actually happened?

Well i never. :p

Don't give me that shit, Gonzo.
You got it wrong thinking there was no quarterfinal round.

kolja51
23-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Slovakia has a fear of a "big brother". The only time they beat them in big tournamnet was few years ago when Slovakia won a World Championship. Too bad, I was pulling for Slovensko, now I hope to see Checz - Russia final. Jagr against Ovechkin. It would be better to see Gaborik - Jagr duel. Gaborik was few inches away off equilaizing, someone was split second faster and had stick in front of his...

GreatGonzo
23-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Don't give me that shit, Gonzo.
You got it wrong thinking there was no quarterfinal round.

Yup either that or i actually got it right! :rolleyes:

Still would hate for you to think i actually got something right eh? Pathetic!

Palace_Brasted
23-02-2006, 05:32 PM
Well what was Pat Quinn doing there?
Getting shut out three times on an Olympic size rink is a national disgrace.
Hang your head in shame, Quinn. More of the same for the Leafs please.

Quinn was a coach, Gretzky was in charge, besides I want Quinn to get the sack from Toronto and this failure can only help speed that up :p
BTW, shame about Theodore - but then I suppose we should save that for the NHL back on thread.

oz_da II
24-02-2006, 02:38 AM
Quinn was a coach, Gretzky was in charge, besides I want Quinn to get the sack from Toronto and this failure can only help speed that up :p

Quinn was head coach, last time I checked the head coach makes the decisions/tactics on the ice and in the rooms.

Gretzky was executive director.

oz_da II
24-02-2006, 02:46 AM
Yup either that or i actually got it right! :rolleyes:

Still would hate for you to think i actually got something right eh? Pathetic!

You are a clown.
For starters you know bugger all about the game.

Canada and USA were not out of the semifinals (as you quoted), the quarterfinals had not even been played. It's like stating Chelsea are out of the Champions League after losing the first leg of their tie.

Only Gonzo could make a blunder and then turn it into a "Look at me I'm so clever".

crystaljim
24-02-2006, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by Slovak Eagle
Sad to see the Slovaks go out to the "old enemy" especially after some good performances in the group phase. They didn't really seem at the races with two poor goals conceeded especially the break-away underhand 1st goal with the 2nd goal down to inability to clear the zone. I don't know how we didn't manage to equalize when the puck was almost on the line and the netminder just laid on the puck so prevent the equalizer. Once Budaj had been pulled it was a risk we had to take but it didn't pay off. I thought we had a good chance of making the finals this year. Typical Slovakia really.

"old enemy" you slovaks are as bad as the Kiwis. Some small nation syndrome counselling is in order methinks :o :p

Slovak Eagle
24-02-2006, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by crystaljim
"old enemy" you slovaks are as bad as the Kiwis. Some small nation syndrome counselling is in order methinks :o :p

Thanks for your concern :D .

Well when they nick all the good football players AND ice hockey ones to baring a few then we have reason to feel a bit hard done by. Always good to have an excuse for when we lose too :p .

Slovak Eagle
24-02-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by kolja51
Slovakia has a fear of a "big brother". The only time they beat them in big tournamnet was few years ago when Slovakia won a World Championship. Too bad, I was pulling for Slovensko, now I hope to see Checz - Russia final. Jagr against Ovechkin. It would be better to see Gaborik - Jagr duel. Gaborik was few inches away off equilaizing, someone was split second faster and had stick in front of his...

Slovakia are one of those teams that get to the brink of something great and then bottle it just like the football where we made the playoffs and got hammered by Spain and also when we got to the Davis Cup final and lost to Croatia. Our time will come but not for a little while yet. I'd rather Russia went on to win especially if they beat the Czechs in the final.

swissroll
24-02-2006, 12:42 PM
You are a clown.

Um, dontcha remember this?

Canada
Capable????

They're shoe-ins, load up on them now.
They've got it all.

Top goaltending.
Snipers.
Checkers.
Size.
Speed.
Strength.
Teamwork.

Everyone else is playing for silver.

Hope you didnt lose too much dough

Palace_Brasted
24-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Quinn was head coach, last time I checked the head coach makes the decisions/tactics on the ice and in the rooms.

Gretzky was executive director.

Gretzky is the head man, therefore he is in charge. Quinn is head coach so he does make tactics and line changes, but did he have a say in picking a Todd Bertuzzi over a Sydeny Crosby? I dont think he did, either way Canada Screwed it up.

Palace_Brasted
24-02-2006, 04:31 PM
looks like the Swedes are playing for Gold

GreatGonzo
24-02-2006, 04:36 PM
You are a clown.

Canada and USA were not out of the semifinals (as you quoted), the quarterfinals had not even been played. It's like stating Chelsea are out of the Champions League after losing the first leg of their tie.

Only Gonzo could make a blunder and then turn it into a "Look at me I'm so clever".

I made that even before all the 1st round games were finished having seen some of teh matches - it was my prediction as i clarified as my first post was misleading?

GreatGonzo
24-02-2006, 04:38 PM
We could always cause a shock in an event or 2 but realistically we will do well to win 1 medal.

Here is the other prediction i made Oz - going to have a go at me for this one too?

Our only medal coming from a career best performance by someone only there after her local pub raised enough money for the equipment and to get her out there! (Of course Baxter still to go tomorrow in the Slalom!)

Strathclyde Eagle
24-02-2006, 04:46 PM
What's the score?

Found out - 5-3 to Sweden at the moment.

Funk Butter
24-02-2006, 04:48 PM
Curling - Men
Bronze Medal

United States (8) DEF Great Britain (6)

USA! A curling renaissance about to unfold in the US. :p

GreatGonzo
24-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Funk Butter
Curling - Men
Bronze Medal

United States (8) DEF Great Britain (6)

USA! A curling renaissance about to unfold in the US. :p

We didn't turn up until the second half and by then it was too late. Half our points were scored in the 7th end!

Palace_Brasted
24-02-2006, 05:11 PM

oz_da II
25-02-2006, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by swissroll
Hope you didnt lose too much dough

I steered clear once I realized Quinn was coaching.

Hedgehog
25-02-2006, 04:11 AM
I was just watching the ABC News here in the US. Every Friday they have a “Person of the Week”. Today they chose one of the US Speed Skaters who had won a Gold Medal. No big deal you say, well the reason he was made person of the week was because he had donated his “prize” money to some African kids sports charity.

Now I say to myself “Prize money? What ••••••• prize money? Isn’t the Olympics still “Armatures” only?”

They went on to say he was donating his $25,000 awarded to him by the US Olympic Committee for his Gold medal, plus another $15,000 for being a member of a gold winning relay team……

Is it just me, or is anyone else shocked at this revelation that athletes are being given “prize” money by their countries Olympic Federations? Maybe I’m being a bit naive here, and this is common practice, we all know the old Eastern European countries pushed the boundaries of the spirit of the games, but this seems so blatant, and who would have thought a fine honorable country like America would be doing this……… Oh wait a minute……

oz_da II
25-02-2006, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by Hedgehog
I was just watching the ABC News here in the US. Every Friday they have a “Person of the Week”. Today they chose one of the US Speed Skaters who had won a Gold Medal. No big deal you say, well the reason he was made person of the week was because he had donated his “prize” money to some African kids sports charity.

Now I say to myself “Prize money? What ••••••• prize money? Isn’t the Olympics still “Armatures” only?”

They went on to say he was donating his $25,000 awarded to him by the US Olympic Committee for his Gold medal, plus another $15,000 for being a member of a gold winning relay team……

Is it just me, or is anyone else shocked at this revelation that athletes are being given “prize” money by their countries Olympic Federations? Maybe I’m being a bit naive here, and this is common practice, we all know the old Eastern European countries pushed the boundaries of the spirit of the games, but this seems so blatant, and who would have thought a fine honorable country like America would be doing this……… Oh wait a minute……

Yes, I think you are being a bit naive. It's been going on for years. I would have thought most countries who can afford to give out cash prizes.

Greeks got US$158,000 per gold medal in the last Olympics.
Russians get over six figures in Amercian dollars per gold.

Cash per gold (http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/sports/200408/kt2004080616372511610.htm)

Hedgehog
25-02-2006, 04:41 AM
Yes, I think you are being a bit naive. It's been going on for years. I would have thought most countries who can afford to give out cash prizes.

Greeks got US$158,000 per gold medal in the last Olympics.
Russians get over six figures in Amercian dollars per gold.

Cash per gold (http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/sports/200408/kt2004080616372511610.htm)
I appreciate athletes now days are “paid” to train, and expenses paid for travel, hotels and sponsors will support them for wearing their shoes etc.

I guess what I found a shock (as you say naively) is that their country’s Olympic Federation gave prize money for gold (and I’m assuming silver and bronze).

oz_da II
25-02-2006, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by Hedgehog
I guess what I found a shock (as you say naively) is that their country’s Olympic Federation gave prize money for gold (and I’m assuming silver and bronze).

and pensions

I've got no problem with it, they're making huge sacrifices.
The amateur thing is long gone in the Olympics and rightfully so.

Jonboy
27-02-2006, 04:26 PM
I was going to start this by saying sadly, but it’s not really sad. It is just the way of the world.

Like so much, sporting success depends upon money. If a country wants its athletes on the podium then they have to pay the cost of putting them there. It is not just paying the athletes, though that is important, it is paying the coaches, the physios, the doctors, the dieticians, and the psychologists. It is building the training facilities and paying the people who run and maintain them. And non of this “sport for all” bo**ocks. Target the disciplines and target the athletes with the potential to be among the elite.

I don’t have a problem with countries paying bonuses for medals. Cash is the way we reward most success in the world. Most Olympic athletes won’t have money spinning careers like football or hockey players.

I don’t think Britain pays for medals at them moment, and I know that Canada doesn’t. I am sure that will change quite soon. After all, it is pretty good value for money. We all get a real buzz, and lots of entertainment, from seeing our countries athletes do well

Jonboy
27-02-2006, 04:29 PM
And, as an aside, Canada’s relative success in these games – 24 medals and, I believe, 24 other top five finishes, is a direct result of this kind of money. The “Own the Podium” program was launched right after Vancouver won the 2010 games and it has put cash behind the athletes with medal potential. It works.

Hedgehog
28-02-2006, 01:12 AM
I've got no problem with it, they're making huge sacrifices.
The amateur thing is long gone in the Olympics and rightfully so.
I don't think I would have a problem with prize money for medals being awarded by the Olympic Committees. As you say the "Amateur" thing is long gone, and we all know it.

I think the problem I have, and I can't put my finger on why really, is the individual countries giving prizes to their medal winners, especially after they have already probably supported them financially to get to the games.

If a Sierra Leone athlete wins a gold, I would like to think he could be rewarded as much as an American athlete. It just seems to reward talent is better way to go than by the mercenary means that appear to be happening these days IMHO.

sstackho
09-03-2006, 02:53 PM
And, as an aside, Canada’s relative success in these games – 24 medals and, I believe, 24 other top five finishes, is a direct result of this kind of money. The “Own the Podium” program was launched right after Vancouver won the 2010 games and it has put cash behind the athletes with medal potential. It works.

A good amount of cash is put into athletes with medal potential. But it is my understanding that Canada does not give prize money to its medal winners.

That's why when Clara Hughes made a contribution to the same charity as the American after winning gold, it came out of her life's savings. :love: