PDA

View Full Version : Palace Glory Hunters

Polish Pete
16-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Are there any Palace fans out there who were NOT born in the vicinity of Palace/South London or have family or local links to Palace.
I:e I would be interested to know if there was anybody born, say somewhere like Manchester who started supporting Palace when they were touted as the “Team of the Eighties” and stuck with them.

Obviously you get Man Utd fans or Liverpool fans who have never even been to Manchester or Liverpool. Is there an equivalent bunch of Palace fans who have never been to London?

Anyway . Just a thought.

DocSavage
16-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Polish Pete
Are there any Palace fans out there who were NOT born in the vicinity of Palace/South London or have family or local links to Palace.
I:e I would be interested to know if there was anybody born, say somewhere like Manchester who started supporting Palace when they were touted as the “Team of the Eighties” and stuck with them.

Obviously you get Man Utd fans or Liverpool fans who have never even been to Manchester or Liverpool. Is there an equivalent bunch of Palace fans who have never been to London?

Anyway . Just a thought.

Your thought process is askew! Palace are not "in" London. they are in the hinterland, the zombie land. I am the only exception to the rule. The rule is palace becomes you. i went to see the manure of 1969 of best and charlton etc and came away a palace fan. sick hey????
I love my team but have no idea why! I have brayed and brawled for 38 yrs without any consequence whatsoever and frankly don't give a hoot if mancunians, evertonians or croydonians treat us with derision
i am what i am what i want to be and i'm happy to live till i die

Pat of the Palace
16-02-2006, 08:05 PM
I never had any connection other than moving to the area.

Charlton were at SP then and a division higher so I don't get the glory hunting bit.

Polish Pete
16-02-2006, 08:06 PM
I don`t get the Glory Hunting bit either, but it would be nice occasionally

Pat of the Palace
16-02-2006, 08:10 PM
Well, to be fair it was great football to watch. The kind that brings people back week after week.

BaldEagle96
16-02-2006, 08:16 PM
I was not born in the area - in fact I was born 6,000 miles away or so..
I did not have any connection to the area when I first went to see them in 1976. But I got hooked the first time I went and have been going ever since.. Hardly a glory hunter though!

howard
16-02-2006, 08:20 PM
As we are constantly a premiership top five club year in year out, more times FA cup winners than most, playing in the Champions league every season, I can see why you would think some of us are glory hunters:D

Joking apart, it was for the complete oposite reason that I became Palace. I lived in Hayes (bromley) & started supporting the Glaziers because, no one else did, apart from my mate Scottie, who luckily injected me with the claret & blue blood before he moved to Aussie land in 1969.

To this day, I remain the only Palace in my entire family, most of whom just don't understand why. There loss, not mine!

Salisbury
16-02-2006, 08:20 PM
I was born in Crawlwy and moved to Redhill when I was 12. It was either Palace or Brighton. Answers itself really.

Salisbury
16-02-2006, 08:23 PM
'Glory Hunting' and 'Palace' doesn't really go together either. Supporting this club is more like an affliction than attention seeking.

Polish Pete
16-02-2006, 08:24 PM
…………but you`re still local and have a connection to the area.
My point was if there are any fans who`ve never been to London and support Palace just for the “cool” factor which went with being dubbed “ The team of the Eighties”

rambo
16-02-2006, 08:28 PM
If there are, they need their heads testing.

Polish Pete
16-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Another good example is I used to know someone who supported Shrewsbury, even though he had no connection with them, had never been to the town.

Timbo
16-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Sutton Palace here, plenty Chelsea round my way.

eaglejez
16-02-2006, 08:33 PM
My Spurs supporting brother always chides me for swapping teams. I was not really into football until I was about 12 and then I supported Liverpool. I swapped to Palace in 1981. His argument breaks down since normally the next stage is Glory Hunter accusation.My Mum was born near to Hibury and is an Arsenal fan - if only I had supported them !

hughff
16-02-2006, 08:51 PM
I have no connections at all with South London. I joined because... find one of my other posts. However, I doubt it makes me a glory hound.

limited_edition
16-02-2006, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by DocSavage
Your thought process is askew! Palace are not "in" London. they are in the hinterland, the zombie land. I am the only exception to the rule. The rule is palace becomes you. i went to see the manure of 1969 of best and charlton etc and came away a palace fan. sick hey????
I have absolutely no connection with Croydon, yet I still class Palace as a London club first and foremost. It's in London SE25 not some Surrey postcode. That said, even Barnet and Brentford in Herts and Middx respectively are classed as London clubs.

I used to live in Grove Park when I was around 6-7. I used to love my trips to Crystal Palace Park to see the dinosaurs then. That's my earliest memory of thinking to myself, yeah, I'll support Palace. It's a nice place. That park has dinosaurs (even though it has nothing to do with CPFC) but hey I was a kid. None of the kids in my class nor area supported Palace. It was closer to Millwall and Charlton than Palace. Didn't take in my first game till I was 9 and I moved to Sydenham, though. We were shit. Heading for relegation in 1980-1. Does this make me a glory hunter ?

Polish Pete
16-02-2006, 08:53 PM
I personally think that it is glorious and an honour to support Palace.

paf
16-02-2006, 09:06 PM
JJ made me go to a game in the late 80's, I am originally from Sussex and had no connection whatsoever with Palace or the locality. I met JJ outside The Brighton Centre, in a queue for a concert.

boroeagle
16-02-2006, 09:26 PM
I was born in Middlesbrough and moved here (South Croydon) in 1994, my in laws are all Palace fans, I first went to a game at Selhurst in '95 - cup against Boro then 98/99 season I got a season ticket and have had one ever since.:)

david sylvian
16-02-2006, 09:31 PM
i got a cab from liverpool lime street to goodison park in 90/91 with 2 other palace fans

born and bred in sheffield, both of them, completely yorkshire. said they'd supported palace since late 70s - they were about 24ish at the time, as was i

said they supported palace partly cos they liked the sash kit

play football now with a palace fan who lives in st albans, and although he was born in mayday, has spent most of his life somewhere near hull. again, very very northern man.

it would seem palace are indeed a world brand

rattlehead
16-02-2006, 09:34 PM
I was born & bred in west wickham, then lived in s norwood for 10 years, so have always lived in palace territory, but as a kid didn't take much interest untill I moved to s norwood, went to my first game 20 years ago & was hooked, then when rattlehead jnr got in to it at the age of 4, we just couldn't stay away, & here we are 8 years later still sitting in the homesdale for EVERY game. We are palace cos were palace, not cos of how palace are doing.

brokenstar
16-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Born in Croydon both my Parents are Palace as well as all my family on both sides..in my blood..

DANCOO
16-02-2006, 09:59 PM

Anyway . Just a thought.

I suppose an argument could be, if you were born in Croydon and had parents as supporters etc...then it wasn't really your choice to support them and it may have been forced upon you at an early age.

How does someone like me, not from the surrounding area and with parents who hate football, end up supporting Palace??? Maybe the people who were drawn to Palace without knowing why.....

Niceaction
16-02-2006, 10:00 PM
Im Brighton born and bred. My immediate family are all big Brighton fans and I went to Brighton games all the time when I was young. Then at around 12, I went to a Palace game and was hooked from that point on.
It just felt right.

LeeH
16-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Born in Lambeth (Lambeth Walk to be exact - Oi! :D), ManUre supporting old man (surprise surprise, another Cockney Red - zzzzzzzzzz) but moved to Croydon age 5 and grew up with Palace from about 7, with a lot of friends. First match was the Palace v Burnley promotion match, and have been hooked ever since for my sins!

patter
16-02-2006, 10:18 PM
I was born in the eastend and still live in Limehouse, not far from Canary Wharf. I've supported Palace since 1969 the time of Bert Head. I was about 8 years old and all my mates liked West Ham, so I thought i'd be different and pick another team to follow. I liked the sound of the name Crystal Palace and the colour of the kit so I pick them and nearly 40 years later here I am.

limited_edition
16-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by patter
I was born in the eastend and still live in Limehouse, not far from Canary Wharf. I've supported Palace since 1969 the time of Bert Head. I was about 8 years old and all my mates liked West Ham, so I thought i'd be different and pick another team to follow. I liked the sound of the name Crystal Palace and the colour of the kit so I pick them and nearly 40 years later here I am. Well done son. Go against the grain. Can't have been easy supporting Palace in the East End with all the "we won the World Cup for England" bollocks from Wet Sham fans.

nick lombardo
16-02-2006, 10:28 PM
i live in Hordle near Bournemouth. My first game was a win against PNE in 2002, Akinbiyi and Hopkin scored i think.

popovic7
16-02-2006, 10:53 PM
born in croydon but moved wen i was a wee baby of 11 months and had a choice of either portsmouth or palace and i clearly made the right choice in dowies boys

Jaserob
16-02-2006, 11:53 PM
Born and raised in Wrexham. My only link with South London is Crystal Palace. I grew up in the 1970's and at the time everybody locally supported Manchester United (As did I, but I was young and didn't know any better). My favourite player for Man U. at that time was Sir Steve.

As soon as he became manager of Palace (When I was 14), Palace became my favourite team. Yes, Sir Steve has moved on, but Palace has stayed in my heart ever since. I detest Man Utd. and love Palace and have done for over 20 years now.

Nork1
17-02-2006, 12:11 AM
I've got 2 cousins in Perth WA who were Palace fans before I met them even though they'd never left Australia. They only picked Palace because of the 'strange name'. When they came over here they couldn't believe I was a Palace supporter too and I took them to their first games.

celery stick
17-02-2006, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Niceaction
Im Brighton born and bred. My immediate family are all big Brighton fans and I went to Brighton games all the time when I was young. Then at around 12, I went to a Palace game and was hooked from that point on.
It just felt right.

You deserve a medal, or an award, or vouchers or a hamper.
You deserve something.
Well played.

celery stick
17-02-2006, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Salisbury
'Glory Hunting' and 'Palace' doesn't really go together either. Supporting this club is more like an affliction than attention seeking.

I see supporting Palace more as a similie for real life.
There is joy and then pain, pain and then joy, then pain, pain, and then more pain. Then there's joy.

And so it goes on, just like real life, up and downs, downs, downs, downs, and ups.

Its character forming.
I know Liverpool fans who are unhappy when they finish 5th in the Prem. What sort of life is that?

Supporting Palace for 36 years means I've learnt to take life's knocks and savour the successes.

Supporting Palace is like living life and living it to the full.
There is no other team to support.

limited_edition
17-02-2006, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Nork1
I've got 2 cousins in Perth WA who were Palace fans before I met them even though they'd never left Australia. They only picked Palace because of the 'strange name'. Strange name ? Not half as strange as say West Ham. Who wants to support a club named after a piece of meat ? At least Crystal Palace sounds majestic and regal.

james powell
17-02-2006, 12:46 AM
Grandad supported them, Dad supported them, i supported them, hopefully my kids will support them...

Wright+Bright
17-02-2006, 12:50 AM
The year was 1989, I was a young nipper of only 6 years, Born and bred in North West London - No connections to Palace. Didn't really know who I supported at the time( all my familly were QPR but it just didn't feel right).

I remember going into my parents room one morning(13th Sept 1989 to be exact) and my dad was listening to the radio (5 live I believe). The presenter was going through the previous nights scores and then he spent about 10 minutes laughing at the fact that Liverpool had beaten Crystal Palace 9-0. Instantly I was attached! I felt really angry:veryangry that this man had ripped it out of Palace. I felt sad that a team could be beaten 9-0:eek: .

I then forced my Dad into buying me a Palace Kit for my Birthday, pestered him to take me to see matches and that was it I was there - a Palace fan (my fandom was probably consollidated by a historic cup run followed by an amazing next season).:p

cranesparkeagle
17-02-2006, 02:21 AM
forget the glory hunting. I was brought up near Sevenoaks and Palace V leeds in 1969 was the the first league game i got taken to ( for a birthday outing). Well Leeds were top dogs then so I could hardly support them could I?)This game was during our first ever season in the top flight and thanks to Gary Sprake we got a good 1-1 draw.

etu
17-02-2006, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by Niceaction
It just felt right.

Bloody hell, they can't have been best pleased about the way that turned out. Still, congratulations on seeing good sense. :p

Tertius
17-02-2006, 06:22 AM
I am a Palace fan, although I was born in Washington DC and currently live in Florida. I have never once set foot in Selhurst Park but I will someday. I am lucky if I can get the games on television, or via an internet stream. Most often I have to listen to the radio feed stream. It's a lame way to follow the team, but I'd rather listen to Palace on the radio then watch anyone else in person, even if they held the match in my back yard.

Go Eagles!

BaldEagle96
17-02-2006, 07:20 AM
Another good example is I used to know someone who supported Shrewsbury, even though he had no connection with them, had never been to the town.

Did he just like the fact that they played at Gay Meadow??

Steve C
17-02-2006, 07:23 AM
For the first 7 years of my life I was a Chelsea fan, I then asked my father, "when we lived in London what were our local teams ?", as it was Mottingham he said Palace, Charlton and Millwall, choose one !!, I did, Palace, so since 1971 I have been a Palace fan.

Blind_Eagle
17-02-2006, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by nick lombardo
i live in Hordle near Bournemouth.

Bloody hell, you only live 10 minutes away from me :eek:

Mat ov CPFC
17-02-2006, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by celery stick
You deserve a medal, or an award, or vouchers or a hamper.
You deserve something.
Well played.

Its stories like that which make you regain your faith in humanity.

Psyatika
17-02-2006, 07:52 AM
Are there any Palace fans out there who were NOT born in the vicinity of Palace/South London or have family or local links to Palace. :hi:

Is there an equivalent bunch of Palace fans who have never been to London? Not anymore...i saw my first live Palace matches (and my first live football matches) this past September :lux:

Psyatika
17-02-2006, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Tertius
I am a Palace fan, although I was born in Washington DC and currently live in Florida. I have never once set foot in Selhurst Park but I will someday. I am lucky if I can get the games on television, or via an internet stream. Most often I have to listen to the radio feed stream. It's a lame way to follow the team, but I'd rather listen to Palace on the radio then watch anyone else in person, even if they held the match in my back yard.

Go Eagles! You are me and we claim our £5.

Marshian
17-02-2006, 08:40 AM
Glory hunters and Palace? Dont think I've ever met anyone swayed by the Zenith Data and the Evening news floodlit 5 a side trophy.
For me it was hereditory, Grandad went in the 40,s my dad in the 50,s and me in the 60,s. My kids have had season tickets for 6 years and bleed red and blue, just waiting for the next generation.
I live in deepest Kent and every game is a family reunion for me, I meet 2 brothers, sister, nephews and the occasional cousin.
I am sure theres more to life but I have'nt found it yet:p

KYLIE MINEAGLE
17-02-2006, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Nork1
I've got 2 cousins in Perth WA who were Palace fans before I met them even though they'd never left Australia. They only picked Palace because of the 'strange name'. When they came over here they couldn't believe I was a Palace supporter too and I took them to their first games.

I have a mate over here who is exactly the same ,did not know he was a Palace supporter until a couple of years ago. His wife was in the UK recently , North London and travelled down to SP and spent a load of dosh in the club shop on him . Incidentally he asked the other night can you get a tour of SP as he would like to see it if he goes to the UK next year.

Maximillian
17-02-2006, 08:57 AM
what about the half a billion or so fans we were meant to have got when we signed fan zhiyi and sun jihai, surely one of them must still support us and have never even come to england, maybe even europe.

Selhurst300
17-02-2006, 01:17 PM
I have been accused by a Carlisle fan of being a glory-hunter, with supporting Palace and living in Cumbria. But I'm Fort Neaf born.
There is a couple in our town who used to support Man City in the Big Mal era and then transferred their alleigance to Palace when he moved there. They've been Palace supporters ever since.

howard
17-02-2006, 01:40 PM
A mate of mine used to support Stockport County, years ago, then transfered over to Man City for a couple of seasons. He soon realised the error of his ways (his words, not mine!) & returned to County, a glory hunter if there ever was one!:D
Oh & :hi: Selhurst 300.

JJ
17-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by paf
JJ made me go to a game in the late 80's, I am originally from Sussex and had no connection whatsoever with Palace or the locality. I met JJ outside The Brighton Centre, in a queue for a concert.

:hi: :hi: :hi:

It was the home game against Portsmouth, we won 2-1, and the Hillsborough disaster was on the same day. You had to climb out through the car window because I'd had a shunt and you couldn't open the passenger door. I had no idea you'd enjoyed it enough to want more because we lost contact until I bumped into Paul Tuohy one day before a game.

Was it a Depeche Mode gig (24/1/88) or Erasure (3/5/88) at the Brighton Centre?

Kevlon
17-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by DocSavage
Your thought process is askew! Palace are not "in" London.

Think you need to check a map!

MATTY THE EAGLE
17-02-2006, 01:55 PM
Mums side all Kentish, Dads side mum came from Wallington, Dad used to go up as a nipper to visit relatives in Wallington, caught the Palace bug. I was born in Redhill, and moved to Wallington aged 4. So have not known anything else apart from the Red & Blue.

Explicit CPFC
17-02-2006, 07:16 PM
I know a Man Utd fan who use to support Palace last year, he obviously stopped when we got relegated...

OldPeanutSeller
17-02-2006, 07:30 PM
i started supporting Palace because it made a change from football.

Chief Brody
17-02-2006, 07:38 PM
I used to be an Arsenal fan till I was 5, then my c*nting, t*sspot of an elder brother took me to see Palace "play"! :bash: :sob:

God, how I hate him. :veryangry

voyeur
17-02-2006, 08:10 PM
Glory all the way.

Saw the Palace V Liverpool semi-final on TV in my native Cork. Was rooting for them because of the 9-0. John Pemberton in the first minute of the second half changed my life. Followed them (from afar) proudly the following season to third in the league. Currently a season ticket holder for 9 years. Still waiting for more glory.

foxinthebox
17-02-2006, 09:01 PM
I was born against Liverpool in the semi final. I was a wee 5 year old at my grandads house bout 100 miles away (nr peterborough). He said he told me how amazing it was we were there, liverpool considering, and i took to them. Benn going away games ever since around the midlands and a few home games. 15 years later im a season ticket holder and chose a london uni because of palace. Wouldnt consider myself a glory support though. just too young to develop my own thought processes. Taking this into consideration my 10 year old brother is now a palace fan and comes down regularly and so is my 8 year old cousin. I feel im doin my bit in the east of england!!

foxinthebox
17-02-2006, 09:12 PM
i wasnt literally born then (im expecting sum1 to say sumin so thort id get in first). My life as a palace fan began then

silver
17-02-2006, 09:22 PM
i was born in st asaph north wales i started supporting palace about 1967

cpfc@eastbourne
17-02-2006, 09:24 PM
I was a, cough cough, Leeds fan in my early days ( that was glory hunting then). Went with a friend from school who was a Palace fan to a game v Leeds in 1980 ( i think ), Vince Hilaire scored the only goal in the game, then went later to see Liverpool, cant really remember if that was same season or next, Liverpool were about to win the League ended 0-0, but standing on the terraces for a 15 year old absolutely packed in and with a great atmosphere was an experience and I was hooked.
26 years later no regrets whatsoever.... well loads actually but it is a privilege and a roller coaster ride supporting the Eagles and now my son comes with me and hopefully he will see more promotions, cup runs, play off wins etc etc

Vince Hilaire's Afro
17-02-2006, 09:53 PM
My first full season was when Palace finished the season with the lowest ever points total in the top division (1981 I think).

Glory hunter? No. Hooked? Yes. Bring on the Carlisle and Shrewsbury!

Blackfen Eagle
18-02-2006, 11:40 AM
I was brought up in New Cross 1960-1972. My parents house used to be on the football pitch that you can see coming in to New Cross station, I was taken by my day dad to Millwall until 1972 when we moved to Sydenham. It was a 3p bus ride to CPFC from Cobbs Corner. I was hooked.

Palaceman95
18-02-2006, 12:25 PM
I used to support Chelsea for a while, because my brother supported them. I only really liked football last season, and after enjoying watching chelsea winning for a while, I watched palace play against arsenal and i saw so much spirit and bouncebackability and wat looked like a club on the up, so i decided to support them. The other thing was, I was born in Croydon and, living in Purley it is the nearest club to me.

winterj
18-02-2006, 01:54 PM
Born in Clapham,but moved to sydenham in '83 my parents were from up north but came to london in '75 (i was born in '79) my mum and dad started supporting palace in the 70's then when i was 4 took me and i havn't looked back since!

Great growing up in the coppell era one of the highlights of my childhood and getting to meet the man himself a few times in those days was like meeting god!

rbarmy
18-02-2006, 02:21 PM
As a neutral came to Selhurst to see Charlton Vs Chelsea around '87, went to a Palace game the following week, got hooked somehow and kept going. Still waiting for the glory but there have been a few highs along the way

trinket
18-02-2006, 03:13 PM
As a kid my older brother supported Liverpool so i decided to support Everton in order to get revenge - bad move really as this was while Liverpool were winning everything. Anyway around 1996 we both realised the error of our ways and decided that supporting a team was ment to be difficult,emotional and in a way practical. Growing up in Bromley and being ready for punishment we saw the light and switched to the Palace. Neither of us miss many games and we have both felt the joy and pain that comes with supporting Palace.

Opposite to glory hunting really - wanted agony,anguish, with a little hope instead!

Dirty Northener
18-02-2006, 03:43 PM
I had a season ticket at Leeds for about 10 years when i was younger but got sick of all the glory supporters coming out under O'Leary and the Champions League run so stopped going to football altogether for 18 months.

Then i went to London for my 18th birthday and went to watch Palace vs Pompy, Palace were 2-0 up and let 3 in in quick sucession and i was hooked for some reason. All the Palace fans we met were so friendly and it made a change from all the aggro you get from going to Leeds games home and away.

We had a great time so decided to go to Burnley away a couple of weeks later. Then we ended up going to 1 game after another and do about 16 games a year from Leeds. Ive got my first season ticket for next year too which is great! I just hope im not classed as a glory supporter :D

yorkshire eagle
18-02-2006, 03:47 PM
hi born in leeds lived in a little village in north yorkshire near york grew up in my parents pub, nextdoor but 1 lived a palace fan from croyden (one on britans top art restorers!) and i grew up a palace fan!

strawberry mivi
19-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Not interested in football until reading that a local lad (Phil Barber) had been signed from Aylesbury Town.
Phil was in the year above me at school so thought I would keep an eye on Palace results and match summaries to see if he got a mention.
We both come from Tring, Hertfordshire. (he wouldn't have a clue who I am)
Gave up hunting for glory years ago.