PDA

View Full Version : The biggest screw up in sport!

GreatGonzo
17-02-2006, 01:56 PM
I urge everyone to see the highlights of the Olympics today, one of the greatest of the sports is the snowboard cross but the women's final today FANTASTIC.

2 Canadians crash out (one seems injured unfortunately) however it leave the American way out in front - she cannot lose. Until of course she realises she is American and tries to be flash pulling a trick off the penultimate jump in the home straight. She fails to ride it out and literally she has THROWN away gold!

Brilliant from the American! It has to been seen to be believed.

Herr Colonpharter
17-02-2006, 02:10 PM
YES IT WAS GREAT FUN TO WATCH WASN'T IT!

(what about the Brazilian qualifying following the 3-way pile up) :p

adonkis
17-02-2006, 02:19 PM
was funny as feck!!

snowboard cross is great to watch tho isnt it!!

Radders
17-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Tactically immature, didn't learn from her mistakes, bring in Burley, Martin Allen or Kit to take her place.

GreatGonzo
17-02-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Radders
Tactically immature, didn't learn from her mistakes, bring in Burley, Martin Allen or Kit to take her place.

:S:

Shame that the Brit got taken out on both her runs but the Olympics has come 12 months too late or too early for her. Never had enough time to get back to top form after her injury.

The Brazilian coming through reminded me of that Aussie speed skater who won gold cos he was the last man standing 4 years OK. Only in boadercross it happens half the time.

Be interesting to see in-running betting patterns on it. Anyone know how badly the Canadian was injured after flying through the safety fencing? I don't think she ever finished did she?

oz_da II
17-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Biggest screw up in sport since Gonzo stated that a wicketkeeper is the last person on a cricket pitch to know whether a batsman is LBW.

Away Day Eagle
17-02-2006, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Radders

I thought they should have made a telling substitution - and it cost them dear.

Radders
17-02-2006, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by oz_da II
Biggest screw up in sport since Gonzo stated that a wicketkeeper is the last person on a cricket pitch to know whether a batsman is LBW.

:D :D :lux: :lux: :lux:

GreatGonzo
17-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Whilst i love the attention - any chance of keeping this on topic?

Seeing as you obviously haven't seen the incident or have no comment maybe you could refrain.

oz_da II
17-02-2006, 02:47 PM
You have got to admit Gonzo, it was a baffling call from yourself...

bunghole
17-02-2006, 03:03 PM
S.Bradbury, Salt Lake City '02. :p :D :lux:

Funk Butter
17-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Well there was a shooter at the Athens games who had a big lead coming to the final shot, then on the last one he shot the wrong target and ended up losing. Leon Lett in the Super Bowl with his hotdogging effort was worse, or his attempt to pick up a blocked FG against Miami on Thanksgiving were both worse. You can make a case that grabbing your board in mid-air is a strategic move, you can't say that about waving the ball around while high-stepping into the endzone or shooting at the wrong target.

Radders
17-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
Whilst i love the attention - any chance of keeping this on topic?

Seeing as you obviously haven't seen the incident or have no comment maybe you could refrain.

Ark at 'er!!!

LP
17-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Lets talk about the LBW/wicket keeper thing some more-it sounds interesting...

GreatGonzo
17-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Funk Butter
You can make a case that grabbing your board in mid-air is a strategic move, you can't say that about waving the ball around while high-stepping into the endzone or shooting at the wrong target.

Love to know how you defend an attempted grab as a strategic move. She stood to gain nothing from it and risked EVERYTHING. The cost was the biggest prize in her sport.

Shooting the wrong target is a mistake and an surely not a deliberate act.

Radders
17-02-2006, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by LP
Lets talk about the LBW/wicket keeper thing some more-it sounds interesting...

Well, ok, just quickly, as you insist.

Gonzo showed his cricketing expertise by declaring that the wicket keeper was in no position to see or appeal for LBW's. :D :D :D :D

Funk Butter
17-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Love to know how you defend an attempted grab as a strategic move. She stood to gain nothing from it and risked EVERYTHING. The cost was the biggest prize in her sport.

Shooting the wrong target is a mistake and an surely not a deliberate act.
Evidently, you grab the board for more stability in mid-air. Haven't seen it, but apparently she does that a lot.

GreatGonzo
17-02-2006, 04:48 PM
Only woman who tried in all the way through the competition. Was definately seen as unecessary showboating. Doing grabs is likely to throw you off balance as you would never usually have your hand that low.

Judging by her coach's reaction i do not think he thought too much of it!

Strathclyde Eagle
17-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Just saw this on the interactive coverage. Was well worth waiting for.

sydney eagle
17-02-2006, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by bunghole
S.Bradbury, Salt Lake City '02. :p :D :lux: One of the funniest things I've ever seen.He was so far behind the other three until they all went arse over tit and he strolled across the line:D

DANCOO
17-02-2006, 09:36 PM
Is this incident on-line anywhere?

DANCOO
17-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Well there was a shooter at the Athens games who had a big lead coming to the final shot, then on the last one he shot the wrong target and ended up losing. Leon Lett in the Super Bowl with his hotdogging effort was worse, or his attempt to pick up a blocked FG against Miami on Thanksgiving were both worse. You can make a case that grabbing your board in mid-air is a strategic move, you can't say that about waving the ball around while high-stepping into the endzone or shooting at the wrong target.

Can't remember how big a screw-up it ended up as it was a qualifier, but I remember Jamie Baulch running the final leg of a 4x400 rely, or it may have been a straight 400m race, and he was a fair way ahead of the American who was in second. Anyway, Baulch slows down to a near crawl to let this American get near and then speeds up to still finish ahead of him...only he didn't have quite enough left in the tank and the American went passed him over the last 20 meters or so...:D

RDSdaEAGLE
17-02-2006, 09:50 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/video_and_audio/help_guide/4304501.stm

This is the direct link (only available to British broadband users) to the video footage. Skip to about half way through. :p

A.D.
17-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by DANCOO
Is this incident on-line anywhere?

Click on the video link on the right (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/winter_sports/4723398.stm)

You need to fast forward to the last 2 or 3 minutes, well worth watching for the reaction of the U.S. coach after she falls.

DANCOO
17-02-2006, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/video_and_audio/help_guide/4304501.stm

This is the direct link (only available to British broadband users) to the video footage. Skip to about half way through. :p

Cheers, brilliant.:p

Neil the Eagle
17-02-2006, 10:09 PM
one of the greatest of the sports is the snowboard cross

So great, I've never heard of it...

DANCOO
17-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Neil the Eagle

Sure you have, it's a cross between snowboarding and skiiing.

One ski on one foot, a snowboard on the other, and a pole up your arse.

GreatGonzo
17-02-2006, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Neil the Eagle

Been on the world cup scene a long time but it is debuting in the Olympics this year. It is proper racing unlike so many of the sports.

sydney eagle
17-02-2006, 10:18 PM
for some reason I can't seem to find that video even though 2 people have posted it:clown:

gjtango
17-02-2006, 10:26 PM
PMSL Thick American!

greybot
17-02-2006, 10:27 PM
The commentator's braveheart impersonation is brilliant

GreatGonzo
17-02-2006, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by greybot

Mel Gibson eat your heart out! :p

DANCOO
17-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by greybot

Brilliant, hadn't picked up on that.:p

Riccardo
17-02-2006, 11:06 PM
I felt really sorry for her.

Snowboarding has been brilliant, worth watching the thing for.

Also, how attractive are female snowboarders ?

GreatGonzo
18-02-2006, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Riccardo
Also, how attractive are female snowboarders ?

Some are very attractive also some not so. However they can also be funny about people who do not ride. The American ones can be bloody arrogant at times too hence the events today.

Neil the Eagle
18-02-2006, 01:28 AM
Been on the world cup scene a long time but it is debuting in the Olympics this year. It is proper racing unlike so many of the sports.

Thanks for that.Since the demise of primetime Ski Sunday, my knowledge of and interest in winter sports has diminished greatly.

However, just because its a race, doesn't automatically make it worthy or interesting. After all, there is simply no excuse for speed skating.

daz_eagle
18-02-2006, 01:34 AM
the kid who stretched out and caught the baseball before HIS OWN TEAMS FIELDER - thus costing them the critical out and place in the World Series.

Hedgehog
18-02-2006, 01:34 AM
I believe there was a guy in the Super Bowl a few years ago running into the end zone and started to ”showboat” as he was about 5 yards out. Someone got back and caught him and the jerk didn’t get a touch down.

Only seen by about 300 million people!

No one (IMHO) will out do that guy!

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
18-02-2006, 01:45 AM
literally she has THROWN away gold No, she hasn't literally thrown away gold. That would mean she would have to have thrown away some gold. She threw away the gold medal, but she did not literally throw anything away.

bunghole
18-02-2006, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by sydney eagle
One of the funniest things I've ever seen.He was so far behind the other three until they all went arse over tit and he strolled across the line:D

But it wasn't JUST the final Syd. :eek:

1/4 Final - 2 qualify for the semis from a field of 5. I person falls over, 2 others disqualified. Bradbury finishes well adrift of the winner.

Semi Final - again, 2 qualify for the final from a field of 5. Basically what happened in the 1/4 final, happened again in the semi.

Should make a movie about it. :D :p :lux:

Palace Guard
18-02-2006, 07:43 PM
I laughed my arse off..typical American showoff!!
hahahahahahahaha!!!

dodge_bond
18-02-2006, 07:47 PM
anyone have a clip? ?

Funk Butter
18-02-2006, 08:13 PM
Finally got to see it. She was grabbing her board on almost all the big jumps. On the last one, it looked like she came off all cock-eyed and was going to have a hard time keeping herself inbounds even if she did land clean.

DANCOO
18-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Finally got to see it. She was grabbing her board on almost all the big jumps. On the last one, it looked like she came off all cock-eyed and was going to have a hard time keeping herself inbounds even if she did land clean.

Was definately pulling a trick.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
18-02-2006, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by DANCOO
Was definately pulling a trick. Snowboard whore shocker??!!

Lizzy
26-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by oz_da II

village behaviour

erreur de garcon de l'ecole

Andy08
26-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Ha ha show off, typical american :p

CPFC Guy
17-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Made me laugh so much, typical arrogant American. When the snowboarders make a jump they crouch evenly which I think gives them stability, however, she used one hand to grab her board which is never going to give stability. It was probably my favorite sport to watch in the winter olympics I think.

P.S Why hasn't Lakis featured on this thread?