PDA

View Full Version : Calzaghe v Lacy

Great Lombardi
03-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Is anyone going to stay up to watch this fight on ITV? Should be an absolute cracker. I don't usually cheer on Calzaghe, but I will be doing so in this fight as Lacy's promoter is a tool.

BLUE BOY
03-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Should be a good fight. I think Lacy will win though. Calzaghes hands are the problem for him, he always seems to dammage them during a fight.

Great Lombardi
03-03-2006, 12:19 PM
Should be a good fight. I think Lacy will win though. Calzaghes hands are the problem for him, he always seems to dammage them during a fight.

I am going for Calzaghe by decision, but he may well have to take some punishment for the first time in a long time.

gold76
03-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Lacy for me, this is Calzaghe's toughest fight since he beat Eubank for the title.

Newts G
03-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Heart Calzaghe but head Lacy.

If his hands hold out I reckon he will knock Lacy out though, I just dont think they will.

Dirty Northener
03-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Im going to this, can't wait, im going for Lacy in the 9th by ko, i feel Joe may be slipping and that this match has come too late on in his career for him

E15Eagle
03-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Definately staying up for this one, should have the makings of a great fight. I have only seen Lacy once, when he battered Robin Reid, but it wasn't much to go on. It's going to be the hardest fight of Joes career, and whilst I'm not his biggest fan, I hope he wins.

nottsunieagle
03-03-2006, 05:22 PM
i hope he wins too. This is a huge step up in class for Lacy, and hands aside, i think Calzaghe will have enough. Him to win within 7 - Lacy i feel will punch himself out within 5 rounds.

disco mixx kidd
03-03-2006, 05:32 PM
is it in itv?

assumed it would be sky ppv

will try and stay awake :-) thats great news

EMLEY EAGLE
03-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Lacey in 5 I'm afraid.He's like a mini Tyson and won't punch himself out.

moverman
03-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Lacy to stop Joe by the 8th.

Duffle Coat
03-03-2006, 10:28 PM
Could be worse, could be Cagney V Lacy:lux:

charles stewart
03-03-2006, 10:32 PM
what times the fight

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
03-03-2006, 10:35 PM
http://images.art.com/images/PRODUCTS/large/10043000/10043432.jpg

Ben H
04-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Lacy is the bookies favourite. Not by much mind. Points seems to be the favourite outcome.

ANDYEAGLE
04-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Ben H
Lacy is the bookies favourite. Not by much mind. Points seems to be the favourite outcome.

Yes he is, but Skelton was favourite last week. Lacey may be the younger fresher man, but I take Calzaghe to KO him in six rounds.
Calzaghe has had his problems but is total class.
Been looking forward to this one for a while.

grahampoint
04-03-2006, 08:04 PM
come on joe. could get a battering i'm afraid though

PengeEagle
04-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Will be a tight one - I think Calzaghe will nick it on a split decision.

DANCOO
04-03-2006, 11:13 PM
Not long now.

Steve in Phoenix
04-03-2006, 11:26 PM
Is it PPV ?

Miss Dee
04-03-2006, 11:39 PM
Anyone know a rough time for the start of the big fight?

Oisin
05-03-2006, 12:00 AM
Yeah, time please?

Johnson
05-03-2006, 12:08 AM
2 am roughly, I am led to believe. It is that time to suit American TV.

Johnson
05-03-2006, 12:09 AM
The fight at the moment is a cracker.

Voldo
05-03-2006, 12:38 AM
Pi55ed off its on so late...tossers, i cant stay awake much longer...last fight was awesome

Mark_cpfc
05-03-2006, 02:37 AM
Anyone watching?

first 3 rounds and Calzaghe has totally dominated.

Oisin
05-03-2006, 02:50 AM
Great fight from the taffy. Still winning after six

Mark_cpfc
05-03-2006, 02:51 AM
All over Lacy so far, Cant get too cocky though, Lacy does have a nasty punch.

Mark_cpfc
05-03-2006, 02:54 AM
7th Round and Calazghe had him in the corner and just battered him, I have no idea how Lacy got out of that.

Lacy's face is a mess.

Oisin
05-03-2006, 03:06 AM
Just has to box sensibly for two rounds and its a landslide

Mark_cpfc
05-03-2006, 03:13 AM
Calazghe totally dominated that and deserved to win.

Oisin
05-03-2006, 03:14 AM
A masterclass in boxing. Well worth staying up for.

Sussex Eagle
05-03-2006, 03:15 AM
Amazing fight, I don't know boxing but Lacy even staying on his feet as well as he did seemed quite an achievement itself under that torrent of blows.

Oisin
05-03-2006, 03:23 AM
He's a brave lad Lacey. He stuck in there.

Now Boxing is back on ITV its interesting again.

Oisin
05-03-2006, 03:30 AM
119 - 105
119 - 106
119 - 106

The only point he dropped was the one the ref docked.

E15Eagle
05-03-2006, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by Oisin
A masterclass in boxing. Well worth staying up for.

Nothing else to add really, except I didnt think the fight would be so one sided. Great night for british boxing.

smileysmith
05-03-2006, 03:40 AM
What a fight from Calzaghe. Outclassed Lacey in every department. Felt for Lacey after the 8th - he was too tired to land his big punches and the fight was good as over.

Loving the speed of Calzaghe though. So glad I stayed up to watch it. Legendary stuff.

nottsunieagle
05-03-2006, 03:53 AM
Simply superb.

PengeEagle
05-03-2006, 08:59 AM
Nice one! From what I have seen he was awesome.

EMLEY EAGLE
05-03-2006, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by EMLEY EAGLE
Lacey in 5 I'm afraid.He's like a mini Tyson and won't punch himself out.

Totally wrong! And was I glad.Thought that Calzaghe fought a perfect fight.

DANCOO
05-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Couldn't stay awake for it, is it repeated at any time?

nottsunieagle
05-03-2006, 11:11 AM
In about 15 minutes Dancoo!

BLUE BOY
05-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Masterclass! He totally out boxed Lacy.

DANCOO
05-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by nottsunieagle
In about 15 minutes Dancoo!

Arghhh, missed it, is it repeated again?:bash:

andy m
05-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Fell asleep before it started - and Sky + missed half of the last round!!! Arrrggghhh. What a fight though - one of the best boxing performances I've ever seen.

Ben H
05-03-2006, 06:59 PM
He was awesome, totally dominant. Hope he has the big fights he deserves before he gets too old. Trouble is they'll all be wanting to avoid him now.

ANDYEAGLE
05-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Ben H
He was awesome, totally dominant. Hope he has the big fights he deserves before he gets too old. Trouble is they'll all be wanting to avoid him now.

They have all been trying to avoid him for years, so whats new?
He has been trying to fight so called greats like Hopkins and Jones for years, but they never wanted to know. Of course they are both washed up now, but Calzaghe would have murdered them both.
Not sure where he goes now, maybe he can do a Toney and put on a bit of weight and move up.

Halftime Gold
06-03-2006, 12:59 AM
I don't think I'v ever seen a supposed underdog(no matter what people may say post fight I saw way more predicting a Lacey win beforehand) dominate a fight to the degree Calzaghe did. With the great Enzo Maccarinelli vs Mark Hobson fight aswell thats also the best nights boxing I'v seen in along time aswell.

redandblue
06-03-2006, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by ANDYEAGLE
They have all been trying to avoid him for years, so whats new?
He has been trying to fight so called greats like Hopkins and Jones for years, but they never wanted to know. Of course they are both washed up now, but Calzaghe would have murdered them both.
Not sure where he goes now, maybe he can do a Toney and put on a bit of weight and move up.

To be fair Calzage has not wanted to fight in the US (hates flying) he has not wanted to fight abroad, I believe he has fought once in Germany and once in Denmark and thats it. It was a huge coo for Warren to get Lacy to fight in the UK. It was a super fight and showed why he is such a long reigning champion, he was fast, fit and truly exciting and its good to see he seems to have got over the personal problems that I think was effecting his confidence hence the long break. I am not sure what he will do next there is talk of Taver or Roy Jones jnr but when I heard him interviewed on R5 live he seemed to be saying that he would quite like to defend at Super Middle rather than stepping up which again is odd because there was talk of him struggeling to make the weight, though his preformance seemed to show otherwise.

I think a big clap needs to be given to Mark Hobson what a fight I had him to lose in 4 but he showed real spirit and I think that this fight will have done wonders for Enzo and he may well step up a gear now as he is a talented fighter though I hope there is a rematch of this fight but I doubt it.

What a brilliant night of boxing pity the bbc cant stage anything like this with all the licence money they have.

Newts G
06-03-2006, 09:26 AM
What a fight, absolutely outstanding, I think the only one I enjoyed more in recent times was the Benn v McClellan (SP?). When you get classy super middleweights they are definately the men to watch in the ring, power and speed and usually 12 rounds of non stop action, much better than the over hyped heavy weights.

I think Joe has cut himself off a little by not wanting to fight in the states, but Roy Jones is pretty much the same, he hates fighting outside his home town!

Not sure what JC will do now, part of me wants him to get the other 2 belts at Super Middleweight, but I really dont think the money is there that he is looking for. The biggest pay day will be to fight Roy Jones, but he will have to do that in the states, and it is a question of whether Jones will get in the ring with him now.

Great performance by JC though and I hope he retires undefeated, he deserves that after such a great career.

Daddy Long
06-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Best boxing contest I have seen for ages. I had forgotten how good Calzaghe can be - it seems ages since I last saw him fight. No one will fight him now at this weight - they will all be running scared. He has to move up a weight.

gold76
06-03-2006, 09:57 AM
Calzaghe-Clinton Woods, would be a nice domestic dust-up at light-heavy.

danibutcher
06-03-2006, 12:42 PM
First off one of the best british performances in Boxing to show who the top Boxer in Super Middle was and still is. I think JC has shown why theres no need to go to US for the big pay deal. Once again he's proved the best boxers for his weight are European. All the SupMid champs are European. Why go to American when the best are in Europe?

A fight against Kessler would be great but im sure Clinton Woods will be on the cards. Champ at two weights his aim now i think. He could go to America and fight Roy Jones Jr or Tarver. But Why? To prove to further Americans how good he is? Get the respect he deserves? That aint his style! Going to America to wipe the smug arrogant faces of Jones and Tarver? Maybe ;)

DANCOO
06-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by danibutcher
Why go to American when the best are in Europe?

For the money.

danibutcher
06-03-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by DANCOO
For the money.
But JC is not a money fighter. He wont go there for a big money pay off just to prove a point.

DANCOO
06-03-2006, 12:49 PM
But JC is not a money fighter. He wont go there for a big money pay off just to prove a point.

I was just saying why someone would go to America.

redandblue
06-03-2006, 12:55 PM
First off one of the best british performances in Boxing to show who the top Boxer in Super Middle was and still is. I think JC has shown why theres no need to go to US for the big pay deal. Once again he's proved the best boxers for his weight are European. All the SupMid champs are European. Why go to American when the best are in Europe?

I think that the Super Middle is a bit weak at the minute (as most of the higher weights are) and the light Heavy is stronger nad i dont think there is anything more he can prove at this weight. I would not blame him for staying at super middle he will earn enough crust and also it will be far easier than stepping up.

danibutcher
06-03-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by redandblue
I think that the Super Middle is a bit weak at the minute (as most of the higher weights are) and the light Heavy is stronger nad i dont think there is anything more he can prove at this weight. I would not blame him for staying at super middle he will earn enough crust and also it will be far easier than stepping up.
Personally he doesnt have the power to go up a weight, but he does have the skill, as he proved on the weekend. But moving up to Light Heavy means Clinton Woods (a win) but two main fights would be an ageing Roy Jones and Tarver. Personally they're maybe too strong for him. Even Zsolt Erdei could be an opponant if he chooses to step up a weight, but he is more likely to stay SM no need to change a winning formula.

Selhurst Celtic
06-03-2006, 02:56 PM
No mention of Wayne Alexander from Croydon who was on the undercard? Fought a spoiler but retained his belt.
He was at Selhurst Park last season showing off his belt at half time. :p

And agree with everyone that Calzaghe was class. The Enzo tear up was a battle as well wasn't it! :eek:

DANCOO
07-03-2006, 08:59 PM
Calzaghe v Lacy repeated Thursday on ITV4 at 22:30

palace 4 life
07-03-2006, 09:30 PM
I dont think you can say Roy Jones or Tarver could be to strong for him lacy is as powerful as anyone and was destroyed.

ANDYEAGLE
08-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Personally he doesnt have the power to go up a weight, but he does have the skill, as he proved on the weekend. But moving up to Light Heavy means Clinton Woods (a win) but two main fights would be an ageing Roy Jones and Tarver. Personally they're maybe too strong for him. Even Zsolt Erdei could be an opponant if he chooses to step up a weight, but he is more likely to stay SM no need to change a winning formula.

Roy Jones has been washed up for years and even in his prime would have struggled against Galzaghe. Joe has been trying to fight him for years, total mismatch now it would not last a round. He would also beat Tarver imo. The problem in the light heavy weights there is no one who he could not even at his current weight. He would have no problem puttting on weight if need be. Who does he fight at supermiddle now?

ExeterEagle
09-03-2006, 10:09 PM
For anyone who missed it, the fight is bein repeated on ITV4 now.

DANCOO
09-03-2006, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by ExeterEagle
For anyone who missed it, the fight is bein repeated on ITV4 now.

And if that isn't enough, Eddie Murphy - 'Raw' is on straight after :)

MasterYoda
10-03-2006, 01:44 PM
hoped to find the fight with the US commentary on. would have been interesting to hear what they had to say