PDA

View Full Version : Next England rugby coach

One Step Down
12-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Surely even the old farts have to act now? So any thoughts on who should replace Robinson? One debating point ought to be borrowed from football; English or overseas coach next?

I've heard the Gatland/Sean Edwards combination rumoured to be heading for Wales. If true, should England act quickly and step in? Is there an Englishman out there who really merits the job? Most of the high achievers in the GP these days are foreigners (Howard, Geech, St. Andre, etc.) Please, NOT Rob Andrew. At the risk of sounding like a Saintsman (which I am), what about nicking Wayne Smith off Graham Henry's staff.

Thoughts?

Oisin
12-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Ashton.

Oisin
12-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Mike Ruddock is out of a job.

Johnson
12-03-2006, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Oisin
Ashton.

England's biggest mistake was getting rid of Ashton coaching the backs. All the coaches since have never managed to do a patch on the job he did.

How can a coach choose Noon and Tindall as a center pairing. :bash:

Johnson
12-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by One Step Down
Surely even the old farts have to act now? So any thoughts on who should replace Robinson? One debating point ought to be borrowed from football; English or overseas coach next?

I've heard the Gatland/Sean Edwards combination rumoured to be heading for Wales. If true, should England act quickly and step in?

I would hope they may ask over Robinson, but I fear they will leave it as it is.

I thought Gatland went back to NZ for family reasons. Is he is ready to return, if so, would be a good appoitment.

One Step Down
12-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Another thought: Deano. Didn't do a bad job with the Tiggers until his falling out with Wheeler. Seems to have righted Quins this season, although not exactly a challenge. Talking of good English coaches, Hill has done a great job at Bristol.

Chester 76
12-03-2006, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by One Step Down

I've heard the Gatland/Sean Edwards combination rumoured to be heading for Wales. If true, should England act quickly and step in? Is there an Englishman out there who really merits the job? Most of the high achievers in the GP these days are foreigners (Howard, Geech, St. Andre, etc.) Please, NOT Rob Andrew. At the risk of sounding like a Saintsman (which I am), what about nicking Wayne Smith off Graham Henry's staff.

Thoughts?
How much is it Robinson`s fault & how much the players for basic mistakes ? Cohen against Scotland, two metres out drops the ball. First minute today two players go for the same kick & collide.

Johnson
14-03-2006, 12:23 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/international/4805032.stm

Andy Robinson has been assured he will lead England into the 2007 World Cup by the head of the Rugby Football Union.

But RFU chairman Martyn Thomas has promised a shake-up of the England set-up which could see the introduction of a manager to assist Robinson.

Thomas told BBC Sport: "Andy's got a contract to the end of the World Cup.

"I see no logic in committing coaching suicide as per the Welsh. But the whole aspect of how we manage the England team has to be looked at."

Robinson and his coaching team have been under heavy pressure following England's 31-6 defeat by France on Sunday.

Thomas said England's coaching structure would be examined at the end of the Six Nations.

"England fans can expect a thorough review of where we are and the personnel involved," he said.

"Whether that means personnel leaving their existing tasks or additional personnel being put in, I cannot pre-empt the results of that review.

"I still believe that fundamentally we have good honest people in place, but we can't remain in the position we are in.

"That would not be acceptable and I think everyone's job comes under the spotlight."

Thomas said there was a strong chance of a manager being appointed to assist Robinson after the Six Nations.

"In fairness, Andy was the coach - and I'm sure Clive (Sir Clive Woodward, former England head coach) would be the first to acknowledge - and the hands-on man who delivered the World Cup for England," Thomas said.

"Andy in effect moved up and took over Clive's job [when Woodward stepped down in September 2004].

"I'm sure that Andy himself would like to see some support for some of the jobs he is now having to do.

"He is to a large extent hands-on and also having to deal with managerial responsibilities that Clive took on.

"There is certainly an argument for saying we do need to give Andy some help there.

"Andy has not become a bad coach post the World Cup. I don't blame him for what happened on Sunday."

Thomas said much of the blame for England's heavy defeat in Paris should rest with the players - and he was critical of some in particular.

"Twenty-two professional rugby players, not one new cap among them, travelled to France, and I think they would be the first to admit they did not perform," he said.

"I know people have honed in on the backs, but greater minds than mine, like Sean Fitzpatrick, have turned round and said the front row is not delivering.

"Our second row has probably been the most successful [part of the team]. Our back row has not been sufficiently aggressive.

"We've clearly got problems at half back. Our service from the base of the scrum and from the set piece and breakdowns has been slow.

"Charlie Hodgson is clearly a gifted player but we do seem to have an ability while kicking out of hand to put the ball down the throat of the fastest person on the opposition side, which in international rugby you cannot do."

Oisin
14-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Chester 76
How much is it Robinson`s fault & how much the players for basic mistakes ? Cohen against Scotland, two metres out drops the ball. First minute today two players go for the same kick & collide.

Who keeps picking the same duff players?

Daddy Long
14-03-2006, 01:44 PM
Indeed. Cohen was lucky not to have lost his place to Voyce.

Daddy Long
14-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Anyway, I still think we should be blooding Varndell in preparation for the World Cup. Not all wingers have to be beef cakes.

Shoreditch CPFC
14-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Blimey ! Bit harsh on Grewcock. I thought he might have played Lewsey at centre rather than drop him. Also, Cohen is very lucky.

14:21 14Mar2006 RTRS-UPDATE 1-Rugby-England make seven changes for Ireland game

(updates with team)
LONDON, March 14 (Reuters) - England reacted to their disastrous display in a 31-6 Six Nations defeat by France by making seven changes to their starting team for the final game against Ireland on Saturday.
The dropped include flyhalf Charlie Hodgson, fullback Josh Lewsey, centre Mike Tindall, scrumhalf Matt Dawson and hooker Steve Thompson.
Team: 15-Tom Voyce (Wasps); 14-Mark Cueto (Sale), 13-Jamie Noon (Newcastle), 12-Stuart Abbott (Wasps), 11-Ben Cohen (Northampton); 10-Andy Goode (Leicester), 9-Harry Ellis (Leicester); 8-Martin Corry (Leicester, captain), 7-Lewis Moody (Leicester), 6-Joe Worsley (Wasps), 5-Simon Shaw (Wasps), 4-Steve Borthwick (Bath), 3-Matt Stevens (Bath), 2-Lee Mears (Bath), 1-Andrew Sheridan (Sale)

Webb
14-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Where is Simpson-Daniel?! ARGH!!!!!!!

Goode has a big kick, and not much else IMO.

Johnson
14-03-2006, 02:38 PM
England coach Andy Robinson has made seven changes for the RBS Six Nations match against Ireland on Saturday.

Josh Lewsey, Mike Tindall, Matt Dawson, Steve Thompson, Julian White and Danny Grewcock have been axed, while Charlie Hodgson is out with a hamstring injury.

Wasps duo Tom Voyce and Stuart Abbott, and the Leicester pair of Andy Goode and Harry Ellis, come into the backs.

Andrew Sheridan and Lee Mears win front-row places, while Simon Shaw is recalled in the second row.

Robinson has rung the changes after Sunday's 31-6 defeat by France in Paris - England's worst in the competition for 20 years.

Five of the six dropped players - Tindall, Dawson, Thompson, White and Grewcock - are on the bench, but Lewsey is not even in the 22.

Newcastle fly-half Dave Walder has been drafted onto the bench as back-up to Goode.

Matt Stevens moves from his preferred loose-head position to the tight-head, with Sheridan reclaiming the number one shirt in place of White.

England team to face Ireland at Twickenham:
T Voyce (Wasps); M Cueto (Sale), J Noon (Newcastle), S Abbott (Wasps), B Cohen (Northampton); A Goode (Leicester), H Ellis (Leicester); A Sheridan (Sale), L Mears (Bath), M Stevens (Bath); S Borthwick (Bath), S Shaw (Wasps); J Worsley (Wasps), L Moody (Leicester), M Corry (Leicester, capt).
Replacements: S Thompson (Northampton), J White (Leicester), D Grewcock (Bath), L Dallaglio (Wasps), M Dawson (Wasps), D Walder (Newcastle), M Tindall (Gloucester).

One Step Down
14-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Chester 76

I'd say about 100% of it is Robinson's fault. He picks the wrong players, half the time in the wrong positions, fails to give them any strategy, and fails to properly motivate them. Then, when they (unsurprisingly) fail to perform, he picks them again. You could have an experienced aging team, a fresh young team, or a mixture of the two. Whatever. I'd just be happy with a team in which people played in their right positions, were well coached, and if they lost games they did so on the pitch rather than through sheer managerial incompetence.

By the way, why is it that most of these guys are bang in form for their clubs week in week out (Cohen has been sensational for most of this season), yet look clueless playing for England whereas elsewhere players like Lamont (who's looked sensational on the other wing from Cohen at Northampton this year) have continued their club form at international level? Answer: Because England have a crap coach.

CPFC Guy
17-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Harry Rednap, Clive Woodwards been coaching him about rugby

bald-eagle
17-03-2006, 11:59 AM
I don't care. It's only egg chacing. How about Geoff Boycott?

Oisin
17-03-2006, 12:29 PM
Robinson is meant to be the forwards coach so itíll be interesting to see how the England pack compares to the Irish pack. On paper only OíConnell, Wallace and Easterby are better than their opposite numbers but Iím pretty confident Ireland will outshine England in every area bar the scrum up front.

One Step Down
18-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by CPFC Guy
Harry Rednap, Clive Woodwards been coaching him about rugby

It's interesting, isn't it, that under Harry Southampton played crap football and SCW was in the papers every week, taking the blame for it. Since Burley came in, Southampton are playing markedly better football and SC and the manager appear to get along fine. Guess Harry was the problem all along, then.