PDA

View Full Version : BBS Golfers.... What's in your bag?

TrevorWel
22-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Just as the title says, what's in your bag. I think it would be interesting to hear what clubs BBSers are using, and how they rate their clubs.

I guess I'll go first:

Driver: Taylor Made 540XD, Graffaloy Blue stiff shaft with Winn V17 grip.

I got this club used off E-bay, as the snow has not melted here it will be a month or so before I can use and rate the club.

Irons: Nike CPR (2004 model)

Also recently purchased off E-bay so I have yet to play them on a course.

Putter: Oddesy, White Hot blade (#2): Got it as a 10 year service award from my employer a couple of years ago.

Nice putter, exellent quality that breeds confidence. I love the weighting of the club. Nice sound. Any poor puts are down to me!

Fav club: I nave a knock off Tight Lies 9+ wood that works wonders. Great off the fairway, out of the rough and deadly on long par 3s. It's hard to miss this club (I wish i could say the same for my other woods
;) ).

Al From Bromley
22-03-2006, 05:12 PM
Driver: Big Bertha

A gift from a previous employer.

Irons: Yonex

Had them a few years now but they are good enough.

Putter: Couldnt tell you the make. Just a bog standard putter. I've never had mental problems with putters or thought about changing my grip or going to a broomhandle or whatever.

Fav club: At the moment the driver. Am hitting it really consistently and long when needs be too.

Bartman
22-03-2006, 05:30 PM
Taylor Made R580 XD Driver
Taylor Made R5 Fairway Wood

Maxfli Revolution Irons
Titelist Oil Can Vokey 60 Wedge
Ping Craz-E putter

Al From Bromley
22-03-2006, 06:11 PM
I forgot to mention my 3 and 5 woods, both Tom Watson RAM steelwoods that are over 20 years old but still do the job.

jamesyg0
22-03-2006, 10:13 PM
What are all of your handicaps. Would be nice to have a BBS game.

Don't have the best of clubs but play to 15 on a bad day

Driver: Nike not sure model but cost £100 so pretty cheap
Irons: Clubs ive had since a beginner cant bare to depart with them (Howson Derby)
Putter: Taylor Made

daz_eagle
22-03-2006, 10:26 PM
In my Red & Blue bag...

Hippo Driver
Hippo 3-Wood
Howson 5-Wood
Howson graphite shaft irons (3-9 + PW & SW)
Ben Sayers Putter

and half a mars bar.

Handicap: 14

jamesyg0
22-03-2006, 10:28 PM
Forgot Callaway Lob Wedge bought for me for my birthday.

Got to love the stuff you find in your bag when you havn't played for a good month or two. Had a couple of moudly bananas that were the worst

howard
22-03-2006, 10:40 PM
Balls! (someone had to say it!):)

Super-Ste-Cious
22-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Dont actually play golf - but work in Croydon Driving Range - so got a good selection available to me. LOL.

jamesyg0
22-03-2006, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by howard
Balls! (someone had to say it!):)

bast!:o

Bintang
23-03-2006, 01:11 PM
All Callaway Big Bertha:
Driver, 5 wood
5 - 10 irons

King Cobra
7 and 9 woods

Letters putter

Handicap 20

Edenbridge Eagle In Exile
23-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Driver: Cobra F Speed 10.5 Degree

3 Wood: Cobra F speed 15.5 degree

5 Wood: Cobra F Speed 18 degree

Utility: Sonnartec MD Transition 21 degree (or 3 iron see below)

Irons: Ping i5 4 to PW

Cleveland 588 53 degree gap wedge

Nike Forged 58 degree sand wedge

Taylor Made Nubbins TP putter (looks like a laguna or ping zing style head)

Official Handicap 14.7 at Eastbourne Downs GC (but playing quite well at the moment and hope to get to Div 1 - 12 or better this summer) and also play at Holtye GC

Bangkok Eagle
23-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Big Bertha Driver

Callaway X-14 Irons

Ping Lob Wedge

Never Compromise putter

Handicap of 19 gleaned in Thailand where the courses are (in my opinion) 6 - 9 shots a round more difficult than a bog standard UK municipal. Will find out how this affects the handicap when I have played in England a bit more. I'm still waiting for Spring.

magician
23-03-2006, 01:49 PM
wilson pro staff irons
old big bertha driver
texan 60deg lob wedge
confidance golf putter

have bought a chipper but havent used it yet

magician
23-03-2006, 01:50 PM
play off about 22/23

KevTheOptimist
23-03-2006, 02:07 PM
Wilson Pro staff 3-9 + PW + SW

3 Wood is some weird Aussie make but is the best buy I've made. Cost me £45 in a 50% off sale - good deal.

Putter is a heavy putter with a large head - Tom Select I think which I also think is good.

Handicap 20 and dropping by the week!

Barney Gumble
23-03-2006, 02:19 PM
I have just bought a Ben Ross V8 Compressor driver. £149.99 down to £79.99 and it has added 20 yards to my drives (and they are straight...ish).

Might upgrade my irons soon, anyone got any tips?

gcwhite
23-03-2006, 02:20 PM
I've recently returned to the Ping fold after about 7 years of trying various clubs such as Mizuno, Snake Eyes, Dynacraft and Callaway.

I've got a Ping G5 driver, G5 irons and even a G5 putter. My Cobra fairway woods must realise that their days are numbered as I'm heading for a complete Ping G5 bag. The bag itself though is Mizuno.

magician
23-03-2006, 03:29 PM
those pings g5's do look nice

Al From Bromley
23-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Edenbridge Eagle In Exile
Official Handicap 14.7 at Eastbourne Downs GC (but playing quite well at the moment and hope to get to Div 1 - 12 or better this summer) and also play at Holtye GC

My first hole in one was at Eastbourne. Would it be the 8th? About 160 yards to a plateau green from memory? My mum lives in a house tucked under the downs just behind the golf course there. Holtye was a nice little course too. Ashdown Forest was my first regular course though, that and Routenburn, Largs in Scotland which was Sam Torrance's dad's course where I first learnt to play the game as a lad.

€pfc
23-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Wilson Deepred woods 1,3 and 5
Taylormade RAC OSII
Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl wedge
Odyssey 2 ball grey putter

And waterproofs

dopgsmm
23-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Driver: Callaway Steel Head with steel shaft (a must)- Great wand, its a 12.5 degree so quite easy to hit consistently well - love it.

Taylor Made Burner Irons - Quite a few years old now and could probably do with replacing but good weighted cavity back sticks that are easy to hit. Need to move on to a muscle back soon.

Sam Snead sand wedge - Gets the ball out the sand, thats about it.

Odesey two ball putter - Nicely weighted, not that keen on the shape of the head, but it works.

I play of 11.

gcwhite
23-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by magician
those pings g5's do look nice

As Americans say, they are 'stupid easy' to hit.

Instead of getting the standard 3 to PW I've got 5 to lob wedge including sand wedge and gap wedge. I've never been the greatest wedge player but these things have made a huge difference.

Lord_Muffin
23-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver
Callaway Big Bertha Strong 4 Wood

2-PW Titleist CB690 Irons
Cleveland Sandwedge
Cleveland Lob Wedge

Scotty Cameron Newport or Ping Pal 2 putter

Handicap 5.0

jamesyg0
23-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Would anyone been interested ina golf BBS day out. Would be a good laugh. If it were booked as a society day so we could have 18/36 holes with lunch and breakfast or something along those lines. Small prizes at the end for the winner and runner up

Al From Bromley
23-03-2006, 06:58 PM
We did one a couple of years in a row but couldnt get our act together last year. Aki even presented the prizes at the last one.

PeterH
23-03-2006, 07:04 PM
It was great. If you could organise it for late July this year, I will be there. The missus can caddy. :p

aj4england
23-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Mitsushiba 2ball Putter
American Golf Tour Irons
Umbrella

Handicap: 28 (only been playing for less than a year)

Al From Bromley
23-03-2006, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by PeterH
It was great. If you could organise it for late July this year, I will be there. The missus can caddy. :p

If there's sufficient interest and people are willing to pay up front I may consider organising it. The trouble when you start getting numbers pledging to play is the golf club expects some money up front and invariably you get people crying off. If I did a full fee up front type of thing then only serious contenders would hopefully apply.

gcwhite
23-03-2006, 07:31 PM
I'd like to play Al. Happy to pay up front.

Al From Bromley
23-03-2006, 07:42 PM
Fair do's. Lets see how many serious potential entrants we get. It would be somewhere round this neck of the woods, say Chelsfield Lakes or maybe Darenth Valley or even Westerham again. I'll check prices in the coming weeks.

Golf Boy
23-03-2006, 07:52 PM
Titleist 983 driver graffalloy blue stiff shaft, tip soft.
Titleist Pts 15 degree 3 wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2 iron
wilson Pi 5 irons 4-pw
Vokey wedges 50 ( bent to 51 ), 56, and 60 degree ( 4 degrees bounce )

Putter: C-groove prototype ( now known as Yes Putters ) -- the best putter in the world. It is the only make that can be proven to make a difference to the roll of the ball.

Chris Finch
23-03-2006, 07:55 PM
http://www.justgiving.com/golfdoctor

Crazy man going round London Marathon hitting a golf ball for charity, don't know what's in his head let alone his bag.

gcwhite
23-03-2006, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Golf Boy
Vokey wedges 50 ( bent to 51 ), 56, and 60 degree ( 4 degrees bounce )

Show off. ;)

jamesyg0
23-03-2006, 08:17 PM
Id be willing to pay the money all upfront at least it means only the real interested will put there names down.

Know a few people on here that would come along aswell

Golf Boy
23-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Al From Bromley
Fair do's. Lets see how many serious potential entrants we get. It would be somewhere round this neck of the woods, say Chelsfield Lakes or maybe Darenth Valley or even Westerham again. I'll check prices in the coming weeks.

I'd like to play. I woulndn't be pulling out at the last minute as i have to book a plane to get to the match!

Al From Bromley
24-03-2006, 08:40 AM
Don't you play off something like +2 though Golf Boy?

Golf Boy
24-03-2006, 10:22 AM

Well actually i don't have one officially.

Golf Boy
24-03-2006, 10:23 AM

Does this exclude me from the competition?:(

Al From Bromley
24-03-2006, 10:24 AM
No ubt I wasnt sure you'd want to play with a bunch of hackers! :)

Golf Boy
24-03-2006, 11:10 AM
No ubt I wasnt sure you'd want to play with a bunch of hackers! :)

That's part of what makes golf such a great and unique game. You can play with anybody. Obviously it is good to be involved in a competitive match but when i play socially it is with my friends, many of whom are not such good players.

It would be boring for Tim Henman to play tennis with anyone below his standard, but a top golfer could easily play an enjoyable game of golf with his mates ( and they very often do....especially the british lads ).

jazman
24-03-2006, 12:41 PM
In my red and blue bag, far too many clubs which have been mixed and matched. After I moved house a couple of years ago, I put all the clubs from two bags into one. Went for a round last year and forgot until I got on the course .... :rolleyes:

Al From Bromley
24-03-2006, 04:21 PM
It would be boring for Tim Henman to play tennis with anyone below his standard

Why? Because he would still manage to lose you mean? :)

Seriously, I know what you mean. Me and Monty played with a pro and a bloke who played off 5 in Portugal once, and beat them at the last hole when Monty hit a 4 iron to a few inches and had a tap in birdie. For duffers, playing with better standard players can raise your game too.

magician
24-03-2006, 06:33 PM
just got back from doing 9 holes at bromley (magpie hall lane ) which i must say has really improved (and it was empty, and i didn't even see anyone wearing jeans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
i was at the 3rd tee thinking this bag feels heavy (having already taken out my spare putter and my driver ) i peer in to find that my wife has stored my swing trainer weighted club in there !

i'm just glad i only doing 9 !

drove well from the tee but putted like a complete monkey !
eg. hit the green on the par 3 3rd long putt about 7ft past then 2 ft past again then lipped out my 3rd for a 5 !

would be interested in a bbs golf day (even though i missed the last one, but i did get to the palace v brighton benefit thingy last year )

Al From Bromley
24-03-2006, 06:49 PM
Never played Magpie Lane. Turned up once to enquire and the bloke who came out was dressed in a string vest so decided against it.

howard
24-03-2006, 07:05 PM
I used to play at magpie hall lane many years ago, must have changed a bit because, I can remember having to queue!

Beckenham Boy
24-03-2006, 07:51 PM
In my bag...

Taylor Made Burner 10.5 Driver

Wilson Snead Midsize 16.0 3 Wood

Taylor Made RAC Irons

Cougar Tour III Putter

Never got a handicap but suppose 24 would be about right. Although I went round Chelsfield Lakes in 88 last time I played.

Played Royal St Magpie (as we like to call it) many a time as was always good for a pre palace 9 hole on a sat morning. It is uncomparable now to what it was previously - it is a very nice short course to play now.

Would not be surprised if I have 3 or 4 of my mates on here that would be up for a golf day as well.

Golf Boy
26-03-2006, 08:48 PM
I might change my wedges -- should i go for clevelands CG series or Vokey? The only trouble with Cleveland is that the lob wedge's bounce only goes down to 8 degrees.

Hedgehog
26-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by howard
I used to play at magpie hall lane many years ago, must have changed a bit because, I can remember having to queue!
It was where I started out many years ago. It is a perfect place to go if you have never played before, or are just starting out. I actually think it stands up pretty well for a 9-hole municipal course, and considering it's location, not too bad a place at all. I must have played there 50-75 times after school or after work way back when. Remember having to put your ball in a kind of shoot thing, so you knew when you were up to the first tee? (Do they still do that?)

It was probably better before they built the bar in the clubhouse (30 years ago!), it does tend to attract un-golf like characters.

The place was a bit of a mish mash though, with jean and trainer wearing (me) kids, and the red Pringle sweater plaid trousers wearing brigade all intermingled.

Back on subject: Irons - Lynx (probably 30 years old - inherited from deceased father-in-law), Woods - custom made metal ones (birthday present, and looking silly next to Big Bertha’s etc), Putter - No name simple looking thing..... I do have a nice bag though!

Golf Boy
26-03-2006, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Hedgehog
It was where I started out many years ago. It is a perfect place to go if you have never played before, or are just

Whereas now you arew a member of the Riviera Club, or is it Bel Air?

brb rule
26-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Driver - King Cobra
Rescue, Taylor made 5 wood, graphite shaft
Mizuno MX17 irons
Oddeysey *2 putter.

Now play of 16.

Golf Boy
26-03-2006, 09:36 PM
Why? Because he would still manage to lose you mean? :)

Seriously, I know what you mean. Me and Monty played with a pro and a bloke who played off 5 in Portugal once, and beat them at the last hole when Monty hit a 4 iron to a few inches and had a tap in birdie. For duffers, playing with better standard players can raise your game too.

As in Colin Montgommery? Did you tell him Hugh Grant was shagging his wife?

Jonboy
26-03-2006, 09:41 PM
A black widow spider last weekend. (Now a very squashed one).

Hedgehog
26-03-2006, 09:42 PM
Whereas now you arew a member of the Riviera Club, or is it Bel Air?
Well I did got and watch the LA Open at Riviera a few years back, and I did go into the Pro Shop at Bel-Air to buy some monikered golf balls for some guy at works retirement gift. Maybe when I win the lottery 2 or 3 times they would entertain me gracing their hallowed turf.

Unfortunately my golfing days have pretty much dried up over the last few years due to no friends, changing jobs, and weekends here being monopolized by corporate/company outing events at local courses, leaving the casual golfer out in the cold.

I did play at a place out here a few times called Azusa Greens. Its claim to fame is some kind of speed golf.... They have guys in watchtowers with binoculars all over the place, and marshals in carts buzzing around telling you when to hit, and when to give up on lost ball etc... Crazy wacky races golf I called it, that or we were in a scene from a Keystone Cops movie! (Carts were mandatory). Never felt so much pressure to hit a good ball in all my life. Only in America! :bash:

PalaceFan in Alabama
26-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Hedgehog
I do have a nice bag though!

I bet she will be pleased to hear that :eek:

ROCK'N'ROLL
26-03-2006, 10:09 PM
I've got a MacGregor DX3 Iron and Woods set (including putter and bag).

Really happy with it although in hindsight, I should have gone with steel shafts for the irons.

Looking at maybe trading in the irons for Macrgregor NVG2 steel shaft irons. Anyone try these?

N
28-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Heap of sh@t in my bag but it works. 13 right handed and 1 left.

Driver Snake Eyes Graf stiff shaft.

3 wood Taylor V Steel.

5 wood Taylor 200.

22 and 25 degree rescue " GO"

6-pw Top flite xl 2000 Irons.

Wedges 52 degree Mizuno 56 degree mizuno and a 62 degree Ben Hogan all sand blasted and rusty,.

And a left handed Belly Putter made up of a 1 iron shaft and a white hot head.

H/c 8.6.