PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal fans in Croydon

Chunt
28-03-2006, 09:38 PM
How embarrasing, just watched the game in Walkabout and the arsenal fans in there were an absolute embarrasement.

The club was full of rudeboys, who had probably never been to a game in their life and no doubt could only name Henry from the side. It made me cringe when everytime Arsenal scored, or did something good all I could see was them making that stupid gun thing with their fingers and choruses of "BLAP BLAP BLAP BLAP" or "BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM".

One of these pricks also found it fit to throw a glass at one of the barmaids, then when thrown out stood outside shouting about how he wouldn't hesitate hitting her.

Just a rant really, but why do so many of these people chose to follow arsenal?

Generally their fans in Walkies were pricks, but the rudeboys were especially cringe worthy.

Safe.

PengeEagle
28-03-2006, 09:42 PM
Arsenal fans - all !

Justin
28-03-2006, 09:46 PM
If I ever had to support a "big" team it would be Arsenal.

SpikeyMatt
28-03-2006, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Justin

Totally agree.

gjtango
28-03-2006, 09:49 PM
To put it bluntly, they follow Arsenal as Arsenal have a) loads of black players playing for and around the club, and b) because when they probably 'chose' the team they were going to follow it was around the double season 8/9 years ago when they started to become a really good team.

I get pissed off about it too. Rudeboys in particular are clearly disilluioned when it comes to supporting football clubs. You support your local team, not the team thats good cause you might get threatened to get shot if you don't. Fools.

weh8millwall
28-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Agreed, even giving the signs at the screen, proably never been to a game in their lives :rolleyes:

Dave
28-03-2006, 09:50 PM
If I ever had to support a "big" team it would be Arsenal. Palace are a 'big' team

JohnA
28-03-2006, 09:50 PM

I can understand that as a lot of their match day support is Islington based. They support their local team.

Chunt, do you imply that the guys in Walkabout were black?

If so I think you will find that the Afro Carribbean community followed Arsenal after Ian Wright was highlighted in the media. The shame is the the so little number of black faces at Palace. If Wrighty had stayed maybe we too would have a large following in the afro Carribbean community.

jone-zee
28-03-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by gjtango
To put it bluntly, they follow Arsenal as Arsenal have a) loads of black players playing for and around the club, and b) because when they probably 'chose' the team they were going to follow it was around the double season 8/9 years ago when they started to become a really good team.

Clearly reflected by the make up of the crowd each week at The Library.

:rolleyes:

Sunny Fan
28-03-2006, 09:52 PM
They were fantastic tonight, a great display

Dave
28-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by JohnA
I can understand that as a lot of their match day support is Islington based. They support their local team.

If so I think you will find that the Afro Carribbean community followed Arsenal after Ian Wright was highlighted in the media. The shame is the the so little number of black faces at Palace. If Wrighty had stayed maybe we too would have a large following in the afro Carribbean community. Very little to do with Ian Wright and lots to do with PV and Henry.

Chunt
28-03-2006, 09:54 PM

If so I think you will find that the Afro Carribbean community followed Arsenal after Ian Wright was highlighted in the media. The shame is the the so little number of black faces at Palace. If Wrighty had stayed maybe we too would have a large following in the afro Carribbean community.

The majority of the ones giving it the old Drogba were black yeh.

I wish Palace had a large afro Carribean following too :confused:

Tomo
28-03-2006, 09:55 PM

I get pissed off about it too. Rudeboys in particular are clearly disilluioned when it comes to supporting football clubs. You support your local team, not the team thats good cause you might get threatened to get shot if you don't. Fools.
I do agree about that last bit and also think some of it comes across in their footballing knowledge. My college team is full of very very good black players one being on the books of all sorts of teams but always seem to think that the ball should be passed about whenever you have it not realising the pressures under the centreback like myself. But what do I know we are only in the Surrey final :lux: :o

gjtango
28-03-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by jone-zee
Clearly reflected by the make up of the crowd each week at The Library.

:rolleyes:

Don't know whether that was supposed to be a tounge in cheek comment or not. If it wasn't, then its clearly reflected by the make up of the rudeboys on the street, in South London anyway.

Obviously Arsenal have a majority of white supporters like any other football club in the country, but have the most black supporters, just alot of them don't go as they carn't afford it, carn't get a ticket, chose not to, or in a rudeboys view, feel football supporting is acceptable in terms of going into a pub not buying a drink yet watching the game, saying nothing then maybe silly noices when Thierry Henry scores.

Chillo
28-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Dave
Palace are a 'big' team

Borussia Monchengladbach are a 'big' team :D

David Amsalem
28-03-2006, 09:58 PM
I am very suprised that we don't have a larger Afro Carribbean following being based in South London.

daz_eagle
28-03-2006, 10:01 PM

how is palace's number of black players/fans shameful? and if skin colour is irrelevant then why does it concern you?

it's not true anyway, but what on earth are you talking about?:confused:

gjtango
28-03-2006, 10:03 PM
Mikele Leigterwood isn't good enough to warrant an Afro-Caribeen following it seems. Henry, Vieria, Lauren, Campbell etc on the otherhand...although they play (did play) for a North London Football Club...

daz_eagle
you should take a look at leicester city and bradford city fan bases - huge asian populations, yet very few go to the football. it's probably simply because they don't want to or don't care.

WorthingEagle
Originally posted by daz_eagle
how is palace's number of black players/fans shameful? and if skin colour is irrelevant then why does it concern you?

it's not true anyway, but what on earth are you talking about?:confused:

He wasn't talking about the number of black players.

Boyandy
28-03-2006, 10:06 PM

Can't say I agree with this.

Ever since the late 80's I'd say that Palace have had an above average non-white following compared to sides of a similar stature. It's certainly not in tune with the ethnic diversity of the surrounding area but I'd say it was better than most - I've always thought Palace was one of the most racially tolerant clubs.

In my experience Arsenal and Liverpool have tended to be the two clubs most often supported by non-whites (certainly in my locality), but of those people only three actually attend matches. Two are season ticket holders at Selhurst and the other (a Liverpool fan) goes to Selhurst as Palace are his local side.

Chunt
28-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Who gives a how many blacks or asians come down to Palace?

If they want to come they will, If not why try and force or make it easier for them to come than if they were white?

David Amsalem
28-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Chunt

How old are you?

Chunt
28-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Old enough.

David Amsalem
28-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Act it then.

Chunt
28-03-2006, 10:15 PM
off tosser, instead of trying to patronise me say what you think is wrong with my post..

David Amsalem
28-03-2006, 10:18 PM
Lol :)

Check you out.

Chunt
28-03-2006, 10:20 PM
Good one, I bet your a sad old prick who sits chuckling at his PC screen when he really gets one over someone because they are younger.

Make a valid argument against my post then and I will acknowledge you.

speechless
28-03-2006, 10:24 PM
most arm chair arsenal fans, most succesful club in london in recent years, predominantly black star players - cole viera toure henry lauren campbell gilberto - play sexy football. black lads like them because of this.

David Amsalem
28-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Wrong. But I bet you're well hard behind that keyboard and wouldn't say any of that not just to my face, but to anyones. But moving on.

Your post, I just didn't agree with your use of the word "blacks" - its just disrespectful and its a racist term in my opinion.

You probably didn't mean it like that but you could even just say "black people" and it wouldn't sound half as bad.

jone-zee
Don't know whether that was supposed to be a tounge in cheek comment or not. If it wasn't, then its clearly reflected by the make up of the rudeboys on the street, in South London anyway.

Obviously Arsenal have a majority of white supporters like any other football club in the country, but have the most black supporters, just alot of them don't go as they carn't afford it, carn't get a ticket, chose not to, or in a rudeboys view, feel football supporting is acceptable in terms of going into a pub not buying a drink yet watching the game, saying nothing then maybe silly noices when Thierry Henry scores.

Not tongue in cheek at all. Just surprised at how many black fans that I know say they support them (Arsenal) yet when I ask why they dont go the reply has been along the lines of 'Better things to do on a weekend'

Watson's My Cat
I'd support Arsenal if there were no Palace. I'm white, if that helps :afro:

John C
28-03-2006, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by speechless
most arm chair arsenal fans, most succesful club in london in recent years, predominantly black star players - cole viera toure henry lauren campbell gilberto - play sexy football. black lads like them because of this.

You should be on Newsnight. You insight into Black culture is amazing.

John C
28-03-2006, 10:28 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chunt
[B]How embarrasing, just watched the game in Walkabout

Maybe you shoud look at the fact that you spend money in places like the Walkabout. Go anywhere in the Country and you mainly find sad people in the Walkabout pubs....Or the 'Walkie'

winston the dog
28-03-2006, 10:31 PM
I think we're more accepting of different races following our club than a lot of other clubs are, certainly we were more populated by black players during the late 80s/to mid 90's and thank god for that as we had some really outstanding players at that time.

I think the difference in terms of fans, and who people should support is something of a misconnect.
I expect like me, most of you all follow palace because of a family member taking you along when you were little, and or because it was your local club etc etc.
I think when talking about people who are first or second generation of their family living in England then they don't have quite the same support structure (ie someone to take them to palace), nor do they have quite the same loyalty to the area they live in.
hopefully this is changing now, and will continue to do so.

Chunt
28-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by David Amsalem
Wrong. But I bet you're well hard behind that keyboard and wouldn't say any of that not just to my face, but to anyones. But moving on.

Your post, I just didn't agree with your use of the word "blacks" - its just disrespectful and its a racist term in my opinion.

You probably didn't mean it like that but you could even just say "black people" and it wouldn't sound half as bad.

Oh stop being so precious..

Pathetic.

Chunt
28-03-2006, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by John C
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chunt
[B]How embarrasing, just watched the game in Walkabout

Maybe you shoud look at the fact that you spend money in places like the Walkabout. Go anywhere in the Country and you mainly find sad people in the Walkabout pubs....Or the 'Walkie'

As opposed to sitting at home watching it whilst posting minute by minute updates on the BBS?

David Amsalem
28-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Oh stop being so precious..

Pathetic.

I suppose you only promised acknowledgement. I was never going to get something even along the lines "oh yeah mate, you read too much into that". Oh well, its why I'm better then you.

Winston has it spot on in my opinion. Most of us never chose to support Palace, it was forced by a Dad, Uncle, Grandad, Mum etc etc. I wonder who we all would have chosen to support if we had the choice, I would like to think its Palace but you never know.

Chunt
28-03-2006, 10:39 PM
I suppose you only promised acknowledgement. I was never going to get something even along the lines "oh yeah mate, you read too much into that". Oh well, its why I'm better then you.

Winston has it spot on in my opinion. Most of us never chose to support Palace, it was forced by a Dad, Uncle, Grandad, Mum etc etc. I wonder who we all would have chosen to support if we had the choice, I would like to think its Palace but you never know.

I don't think the term "blacks" is racist in the least, nor is the term "whites".

Instead of asking how old I was, which was a blatant attempt to show me up, why not post that you thought "blacks" was racist straight away?

David Amsalem
28-03-2006, 10:42 PM
Fair enough point.

daz_eagle
28-03-2006, 10:43 PM
I just didn't agree with your use of the word "blacks" - its just disrespectful and its a racist term in my opinion.

ahaahahaha.:D

daz_eagle
28-03-2006, 10:44 PM
how about words like 'men' or 'women' or 'child'? are they offensive? goddam discriptive words!!!

David Amsalem
28-03-2006, 10:48 PM
how about words like 'men' or 'women' or 'child'? are they offensive? goddam discriptive words!!!

No, because they are either a man, or a woman or a child. Eg, that woman is attractive. That black is attractive. Hardly the same eh?

Anyway, I've interupted this thread enough and proved my point.

Scifo
28-03-2006, 10:49 PM

Mine would be Spurs.

jone-zee
28-03-2006, 10:49 PM
That black woman is attractive?

bonzo
28-03-2006, 10:52 PM
Nothing wrong with saying black in that manner, David Amsalem needs to stop being so PC and get out and see there is nothing wrong with saying the said word.

Chunt
28-03-2006, 10:54 PM
No, because they are either a man, or a woman or a child. Eg, that woman is attractive. That black is attractive. Hardly the same eh?

The words of a defeated man.

Claim to have proven you're point and then leave..

Good one :p

daz_eagle
28-03-2006, 10:57 PM

nonsense.

David Amsalem
28-03-2006, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by bonzo
Nothing wrong with saying black in that manner, David Amsalem needs to stop being so PC and get out and see there is nothing wrong with saying the said word.

Ya reckon? Fair enough. In my experience though, my friends and family would find it offensive.

I don't think I'm being really PC neither. I just think I'm showing more respect.

HolmesdaleUltra
28-03-2006, 10:59 PM
think this fits into this thread so here goes:
watched tonight's game in the new moon on gracechurch st in the city. after 50 mins a group of guys come including a bloke who starts shouting at the TV very loudly, obviously supporting arsenal.
he starts to wind me and my mate up, with his over loud shouting and ridiculous chants, we start turning to him which he picks up on turning to us and saying "you must be spurs fans?!?!"

I asked him why he's not at highbury and he tells me it's impossible to get tickets to arsenal home games, and that he's been an arsenal fan for a whole 15 years.

not going to go into more detail but I was not impressed.

David Amsalem
28-03-2006, 11:00 PM
The words of a defeated man.

Claim to have proven you're point and then leave..

Good one :p

Ah, don't be so silly. It just shows that I'm more mature and don't really give a damn about a squabble on an Internet forum.

I can stay and discuss it though if you like.

Heb 7:4
28-03-2006, 11:04 PM
How embarrasing, just watched the game in Walkabout

If I'd just watched the game in the Walkabout I'd be embarresed too.

limited_edition
28-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Make a valid argument against my post then and I will acknowledge you. Here's a valid argument. You said at first.
I wish Palace had a large afro Carribean following too :confused: Then you said.
No wonder people don't take you seriously when you contradict yourself with 2 conflicting points on the same issue.

bonzo
28-03-2006, 11:05 PM

I can stay and discuss it though if you like.

Please do,its all good midnight entertainment. :lux:

daz_eagle
28-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by limited_edition
Here's a valid argument. You said at first.
Then you said.
No wonder people don't take you seriously when you contradict yourself with 2 conflicting points on the same issue.

yeh, i think the 2nd comment was ironic.

David Amsalem
28-03-2006, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by bonzo
Please do,its all good midnight entertainment. :lux:

Ha, I think I've said everything I can. I won't change my mind and can't really add a whole lot more. Start another thread with a different issue and I'll meet you there ;)

daz_eagle
28-03-2006, 11:09 PM
Ha, I think I've said everything I can. I won't change my mind and can't really add a whole lot more. Start another thread with a different issue and I'll meet you there ;)

ok... er.. what do you think about the pedestrianisation of norwich city centre?

Chocky
28-03-2006, 11:12 PM
I bet these are the same kind of pricks that go out and buy (steal) Brazil shirts when they're playing England. When we lost to them in the last World Cup I remember seeing 'blacks' in Brazil shirts dancing all over Trafalgar Square. I bet just about every single bloody one of them was English.

They certainly weren't from Rio de ******* Janeiro :veryangry

David Amsalem
28-03-2006, 11:14 PM
I blame the blacks and there wreckless driving for it...

Night all :p

bonzo
28-03-2006, 11:16 PM
I blame the blacks and there wreckless driving for it...

Mods Ban him!!!! ;) :hi: :D

limited_edition
28-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Winston has it spot on in my opinion. Most of us never chose to support Palace, it was forced by a Dad, Uncle, Grandad, Mum etc etc. I wonder who we all would have chosen to support if we had the choice, I would like to think its Palace but you never know. I choose to support Palace. When I first got into football as a nipper, they were my local club. Only a couple of people in my family liked football and they were from Brum and Southampton respectively, so Palace didn't mean much to them.

It was a lucky escape for me, though. I was born in Greenwich, but we moved when I was very young. I could have ended up supporting the Clowns God forbid. For a short while, I lived not too far from the Den, but by that stage I'd already nailed my Palace colours to the mast.

Diggers digs in?
28-03-2006, 11:33 PM
God knows theres enough arsehole Palace fans around without having to moan about other clubs. This thread alone can tell you that much. And in my experience, it's always the white males. Says a white male.

Mr Clean
28-03-2006, 11:43 PM
good night

RDSdaEAGLE
28-03-2006, 11:52 PM
I actually find it more embarrasing seeing white Arsenal fans in pubs giving it the big 'un about how great Arsenal are when they often have no links to Arsenal at all, they don't know where in north London it is, and they often don't have a clue about Arsenal's chants (or lack of them).

They remind me of Man Utd's glory supporters. At least, in the case of some of Arsenal's black supporters, they have some kind of link with North London.

calne eagle
28-03-2006, 11:57 PM

Well said John. I've always been proud that we are NOT racist at this club. As opposed to Chelski and Millscum.

limited_edition
29-03-2006, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Chocky
I bet these are the same kind of pricks that go out and buy (steal) Brazil shirts when they're playing England. When we lost to them in the last World Cup I remember seeing 'blacks' in Brazil shirts dancing all over Trafalgar Square. I bet just about every single bloody one of them was English.

They certainly weren't from Rio de ******* Janeiro :veryangry Yeah, because England have absolutely no black players as role models, do they ? They choose Brazil instead.

I found myself in Trafalagar Square after Brazil won the WC. Bit of a concidence that many of the Brazilian girls were wearing batty riders when I 'accidentally' took the 'shortcut' from the Strand to Leicester Sq via Trafalgar Sq. The vast majority of the people in Traf Sq after they beat Germany were speaking Portuguese, not rudebwoy slang to be fair.

PhilD
29-03-2006, 12:01 AM
ok... er.. what do you think about the pedestrianisation of norwich city centre?

People seem to forget that cars need access to Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiixons.

Aki Aki Aki
29-03-2006, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by limited_edition

I found myself in Trafalagar Square after Brazil won the WC. Bit of a concidence that many of the Brazilian girls were wearing batty riders when I 'accidentally' took the 'shortcut' from the Strand to Leicester Sq via Trafalgar Sq. The vast majority of the people in Traf Sq after they beat Germany were speaking Portuguese, not rudebwoy slang to be fair.

I also popped down to Trafalgar Square after the 2002 WC final, with my Brazilian wife. Hardly any non Portuguese speaking rudeboys (although my Portuguese is still not the best ;) ). Instead it was full of wonderfully happy London based Brazilians celebrating winning the World Cup. I enjoyed it as Germany were the losers :D .

King William
29-03-2006, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Sunny Fan
They were fantastic tonight, a great display

Who? The rude boys or the arse?

Matt Melody
29-03-2006, 07:32 PM
This bloke has highlighted a very true bit of information. All Arsenal shrt wearers are little rude boy pricks, they do a love a yellow arsenal shirt walking down north end in the summer,

but like he said, have any of em been to a game?? have they

Ecalap Latsyrc
29-03-2006, 07:45 PM
I thought it was an African ancestry thing, (which is a good example of why categorising purely as 'black' is so unhelpful).

Melfort Eagle
29-03-2006, 07:50 PM
ah, cuz! Henrys goal was sick innit blad! aww. Aww, blad you iz a neek for suportin Palace innit! Palace are s*** inint! What you doing dan me Creyden enz cuz. Dis iz arsenal enz innit... Shaaa-up

I had to endure most of my school life putting up with this rubbish. I love my Palace end of. If they want to support Arsenal or Manure, then so be it.
I would rather glory-hunters support Manure and Arsenal than Palace.

Melfort Eagle
29-03-2006, 07:51 PM
(oh yeah I forgot)

Safe cuz.

Matt Melody
29-03-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Melfort Eagle
(oh yeah I forgot)

Safe cuz.

nah big up ya ches blud, dem arsenal manz are badmanz!!! :afro:

Melfort Eagle
29-03-2006, 07:53 PM

palace_boy_luke
29-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Matt Melody
nah big up ya ches blud, dem arsenal manz are badmanz!!! :afro:

lmao

Diggers digs in?
29-03-2006, 08:08 PM
http://www.geocities.com/barry_bearer/opinion2.jpg

Well when you put it that way, who could argue with you?

Barry
02-04-2006, 06:01 PM
I am very suprised that we don't have a larger Afro Carribbean following being based in South London.

Yeh its a shame more dont follow Palace. Not a shame as in Im one of these who wants more ethnics at football per se...just more people supporting Palace. I couldnt give a if they were white or black, as long as they there are proper supporters who sing and shout for the cause.

However - the bloke who started this thread referred to 'rude boys'. If I ever start seeing these pricks at Palace I would not be happy. All this 'blap blap blap' shit and 'jacking' each other for 2 - this is something cpfc could do without. I hate the pricks. Its a shame somone couldnt invent a uniqie virus that only affects the and that wipes them out of London.

Thank they support Arse and not Palace.

MATTY THE EAGLE
02-04-2006, 07:21 PM
I watched Arse v Man Utd in Walkies over Xmas with a large number of Palace Lads. The place was full of "Rudies", But have prob never been to North London in there lifes, in fact Im willing to bet ive seen Arsenal play more than they have.

Still after 60 Mins of the game we got bored with chatting up the Bar Maids so started up a few of "Iain Dowie's Red N Blue Army", and Oh South London, should have seen the look on there faces, Priceless.

Walkies is a Palace Club anyway, Never see them in there on a Weekend, because there to busy mugging old ladys half of them.

Chocky
02-04-2006, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Aki Aki Aki
I also popped down to Trafalgar Square after the 2002 WC final, with my Brazilian wife. Hardly any non Portuguese speaking rudeboys (although my Portuguese is still not the best ;) ). Instead it was full of wonderfully happy London based Brazilians celebrating winning the World Cup. I enjoyed it as Germany were the losers :D .

I wasn't talking about the World Cup Final. All the pricks wouldn't give a damn about that game.

Chunt
02-04-2006, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by MATTY THE EAGLE
I watched Arse v Man Utd in Walkies over Xmas with a large number of Palace Lads. The place was full of "Rudies", But have prob never been to North London in there lifes, in fact Im willing to bet ive seen Arsenal play more than they have.

Still after 60 Mins of the game we got bored with chatting up the Bar Maids so started up a few of "Iain Dowie's Red N Blue Army", and Oh South London, should have seen the look on there faces, Priceless.

Walkies is a Palace Club anyway, Never see them in there on a Weekend, because there to busy mugging old ladys half of them.

You sir, are the original nutter :p

weh8millwall
02-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Can't wait to watch the second leg there on Wednesday. BLAP!

imashed
02-04-2006, 09:47 PM
i'd say they don't care

MATTY THE EAGLE
03-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by weh8millwall
Can't wait to watch the second leg there on Wednesday. BLAP!

Brapppppppppppppppppppp