PDA

View Full Version : PSP Portable


Reginald
29-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Looked at one in Woolworth's earlier. Just a box and nothing to tell me what it actually does.

Can someone let me know in layman's terms what it does,if it is worth buying etc.

Yes there probably is a thread somewhere so don't bother.

I just want some quick answers.

GrayP41ace
29-03-2006, 10:35 AM
It's worth buying me one :)

klimskady
29-03-2006, 10:40 AM
It plays movies and games and lots more stuff like that.

PalaceMonkey
29-03-2006, 10:41 AM
and wireless internet.
and mp3 player too.

m355y
29-03-2006, 10:43 AM
I think it's a mini-PlayStation in the vein of a Game Boy Advance, but obviously more sophisticated and plays films & games on minidisks. I've seen quite a big display of software in HMV and it seems quite popular, plus was only launched a few months ago so the range should get bigger.

They look neat. I'm not sure if they have online capability but I'd guess so.

Reginald
29-03-2006, 10:45 AM
£150? Seems good value

Skin Up
29-03-2006, 10:46 AM
Games and movies come in UMDs (like little versions of DVDS) the selection isn't great great but the prices seem reasonable and the quality is good. I reckon UMDs will be the next big thing. Sony have a good track record for this with being among the first to predict how big CDs and DVDs would become.

You can download movies, mp3s and photos but you'd need a big memory card for anything decent which isn't included and is a bit dear.

It's built to last, I've dropped mine about 20 times so far and it still works great!

PalaceMonkey
29-03-2006, 10:51 AM
UMD movies are failing, I don't think they will be the next big thing.
Many film studios (inc Sony) are scrapping lots of UMD titles.

Sony also thought minidisc players would be huge!

IW_Eagle
29-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Skin Up
Games and movies come in UMDs (like little versions of DVDS) the selection isn't great great but the prices seem reasonable and the quality is good. I reckon UMDs will be the next big thing. Sony have a good track record for this with being among the first to predict how big CDs and DVDs would become.


What like MiniDisc lol lol :o

IW_Eagle
29-03-2006, 10:53 AM
http://www.playstationportable.com/

IW_Eagle
29-03-2006, 10:55 AM
http://www.yourpsp.com/psp/locale.html

Tomo
29-03-2006, 10:59 AM
The Gaming and music aspect interests me. If I wanted to watch a film I'd rather do it at home any way, but each to their own. I have been tempted with getting one for the gaming side but may sway more to a Nintendo DS.

Neil
29-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by PalaceMonkey
UMD movies are failing, I don't think they will be the next big thing.
Many film studios (inc Sony) are scrapping lots of UMD titles.

Sony also thought minidisc players would be huge!

Was just reading that very thing in Edge magazine this morning. The fact is that people don't want to buy films on two formats more than once.

Sony is finding it harder to crack the handheld market than they originally thought. There are about 3 'must have' games on the PSP at the moment.

Reginald
29-03-2006, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Neil


Sony is finding it harder to crack the handheld market than they originally thought. There are about 3 'must have' games on the PSP at the moment. What are they? I am useless at games like FIFA etc. Prefer stratagy games like CM or Age of Empires.

PalaceMonkey
29-03-2006, 11:07 AM
GTA - Liberty City Stories is one of them.

RickyB
29-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Skin Up
Games and movies come in UMDs (like little versions of DVDS) the selection isn't great great but the prices seem reasonable and the quality is good. I reckon UMDs will be the next big thing. Sony have a good track record for this with being among the first to predict how big CDs and DVDs would become.

You can download movies, mp3s and photos but you'd need a big memory card for anything decent which isn't included and is a bit dear.

It's built to last, I've dropped mine about 20 times so far and it still works great! Sony are going to be packaging UMD's with their DVD releases for #19.99 a pop as they are realising that people don't want to but a movie they can *only* watch on their PSP and then have to buy it again for their teevee.

RickyB
29-03-2006, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by PalaceMonkey
GTA - Liberty City Stories is one of them. Homebrew! :lux:

Wipeout Fusion, Burnout Legends, Virtua Tennis all good also.

RickyB
29-03-2006, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Neil
Was just reading that very thing in Edge magazine this morning. The fact is that people don't want to buy films on two formats more than once.

Sony is finding it harder to crack the handheld market than they originally thought. There are about 3 'must have' games on the PSP at the moment. doh! read this in Edge too the other day - you beat me to it :)

Neil
29-03-2006, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by PalaceMonkey
GTA - Liberty City Stories is one of them.

Indeed it is. Reg, I would say Pro Evolution Soccer 5 is another of them and possibly the Wipeout game released at launch too.

Football Manager handheld will be out soon so that will be 4 :)

Reginald
29-03-2006, 11:13 AM
Isn't GTA the car game where you kill people?

RickyB
29-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Sorta, yes.

PalaceMonkey
29-03-2006, 11:15 AM
It is.
Very good game, but only if you like that kind of thing!


I wonder how the Football Manager game will compare to the PC version.
Guess it'll be quite cut down?

RickyB
29-03-2006, 11:15 AM
will be poo imho, but interchangable save-game files will be a bonus.

Reginald
29-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by RickyB
will be poo imho, but interchangable save-game files will be a bonus. lost me after poo.

Tried GTA on PC and Playstation. I was crap.

CM chopped would suit me as I do not go into great depth. 4-4-2 and they win I carry on :p

Neil
29-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by RickyB
will be poo imho, but interchangable save-game files will be a bonus.

Don't think it will be terrible as Sports Interactive don't usually •••• up their games and the database is unquestionably accurate. Will certainly be good for some 'pick up and play' action.

I am looking forward to the 360 version though :)

Neil
29-03-2006, 11:20 AM
Actually, Age of Empires: The Age of Kings is about to come out on the Nintendo DS.

RickyB
29-03-2006, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Reginald
lost me after poo.
:)

PALACEWU
29-03-2006, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Skin Up
.

It's built to last, I've dropped mine about 20 times so far and it still works great!

What:veryangry


I'm so upset with my PSP, i love it and i treated it like it was a new born baby, didin't drop it once always put it away! didin't expose it to sunlight! fed it at regular intervals, didn't put it in the fridge!

And it frickin broke! just malfunctioned! And the ••••ers at sony make it so hard to get a replacement! i cry myself to sleep every night!!!

Built to last! you must of been dropping yours on feathers!

:veryangry :bash: :veryangry :sob: :eek: :grrr: :confused: :hmph:

PalaceMonkey
29-03-2006, 11:22 AM
I bought a cool metal case for mine.
It keeps it safe & sound, and makes me look like a spy :cool:

Gazza2
29-03-2006, 11:26 AM
Best gadget of 2005. I love it. Do not touch the PS2 now. Pro Evo (with the option file) is great on it. We all play each other at work from our desk using the bluetooth like functionality. Great for watching films on. Watched Reservoir Dogs on the awful tram journey from Sheff Wed ground back to the station that seemed to go on for ever.

Gazza2
29-03-2006, 11:30 AM
Best way to get films is from ebay. You get offers of £12 for 100 films on there. Films arrive on a number of CD's. Stick the CD in your PC and just use a standard USB cable to download onto tyour PSP memory card. Takes less than 2 minutes to download a film onto the PSP. The 1 gig memory card (which u get when u buy the PSP Giga pakc for about £215) can hold 2 films at once.
The 1 gig memory is a must if u want to save games, download films, etc. You do not get it with the value pack (£150) or the standard pack (£180).

Marki
29-03-2006, 11:58 AM
You can get 2gb cards on ebay for around £45 - £50 at the moment.

Tomo
29-03-2006, 12:06 PM
Reading this is tempting to me into buying something. Can't decide whether a DS or PSP but DS does seem to have the better games.

RickyB
29-03-2006, 12:22 PM
of the two, for variety of choice of games, I'd go for a DS lite. for Multimedia on the go, the PSP. PSP games line-up will get stronger tho as we enter second and third wave, although it is admittedly taking a while to get rollling!

Micky Droy
29-03-2006, 12:24 PM
What's GTA like on it?

Oddjob
29-03-2006, 12:25 PM
I have had both, now I have neither.

Ferris Bueller
29-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Tomo
Reading this is tempting to me into buying something. Can't decide whether a DS or PSP but DS does seem to have the better games.

I go through periods of prefering one over the other, as a gaming freak I have both. If I HAD to choose one over the other it would be a DS, but hold off a few months for a DS lite.

Oh and this game looks special and deserves it's own thread

http://www.eurogamer.net/tv_video.php?playlist_id=197&s=l

RickyB
29-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Micky Droy
What's GTA like on it? It's .... ok, but then I'm not the atypical GTA enjoyer - I felt that it is much more of a bugger to control on the PSP and constantly having to retake silly missions multiple times to progress just gets my goat. I much prefer sometimes the japanese methodolgy of what makes a good game.

Still, as I said, good for homebrew :p :)

RickyB
29-03-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Ferris Bueller
I go through periods of prefering one over the other, as a gaming freak I have both. If I HAD to choose one over the other it would be a DS, but hold off a few months for a DS lite.

Oh and this game looks special and deserves it's own thread

http://www.eurogamer.net/tv_video.php?playlist_id=197&s=l Yay!! That looks class! when can I have it?

PalaceMonkey
29-03-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Micky Droy
What's GTA like on it?

Great!

The graphics are identical to the PS2.
Some of the missions are a bit shorter, as they are more designed for short bursts of playing. But they are of the right length and difficulty IMO.

I'll have my PSP with me on Friday before the match, I could show you.
Though that is a bit geeky :(

Oddjob
29-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by PalaceMonkey
Great!

The graphics are identical to the PS2.
Some of the missions are a bit shorter, as they are more designed for short bursts of playing. But they are of the right length and difficulty IMO.

I'll have my PSP with me on Friday before the match, I could show you.
Though that is a bit geeky :(
Oh christ, you're not going to turn up in black 3/4 length jeans with chains attached to them are you?

Micky Droy
29-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by PalaceMonkey
have my PSP with me on Friday before the match, I could show you.


Geeky is cool. However, I will not be there :( Helen of Droy is having her birthday party :bash:

PalaceMonkey
29-03-2006, 12:34 PM
what a bitch.

Ferris Bueller
29-03-2006, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by RickyB
Yay!! That looks class! when can I have it?

Playable at E3 and out "later this year" according to Ninty, but they said that about the Twilight Princess in 2004...

Micky Droy
29-03-2006, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by PalaceMonkey
what a bitch.

:veryangry

PalaceMonkey
29-03-2006, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Micky Droy
:veryangry


I meant OJ :angel:

Oddjob
29-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by PalaceMonkey
I meant OJ :angel:

I think general prices for the cinema to see Hostel are around £6-£7, maybe you should look into it ?:D

PalaceMonkey
29-03-2006, 12:43 PM
I meant TMAB :angel:

Oddjob
29-03-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by PalaceMonkey
I meant TMAB :angel:

Thats 1 jar of vegemite you have lost.

PalaceMonkey
29-03-2006, 12:50 PM
vegemite tastes like poo, so I'm not that sad.

Micky Droy
29-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by PalaceMonkey
I meant TMAB :angel:

Nazi.

RickyB
29-03-2006, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Micky Droy
Nazi. Ken?

TonysMumsabitch
06-04-2006, 11:16 AM
heheh

I am so tempted to buy one of these suckers, and just forget about buying a laptop. I would probably only use the laptop to play Football manager - so will it be more or less the same?

TonysMumsabitch
06-04-2006, 11:36 AM
I was just reading that the FM release for PSP will be a modified version, with a lot less by way of leagues. Still, shouldn't matter that much I spose. The more I read, the more I want it.

TonysMumsabitch
06-04-2006, 11:37 AM
PM - have you got a pic, or a link for this metal case?

PalaceMonkey
06-04-2006, 11:37 AM
shall look for one

PalaceMonkey
06-04-2006, 11:41 AM
http://tinyurl.com/zec2u

here's mine.

if you type "psp metal case" into ebay, you get a selection.
there are a couple out now, that look like they'd fit better as they were specifially designed for psp.
whereas I think mine just happens to be a metal case of the right size

TonysMumsabitch
06-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Ahh OK cool. I am so tempted to just buy a PSP right now....Do you use the internet on it?

Neil
06-04-2006, 11:50 AM
I read somewhere that some companies are actually offering them free with certain mobile phone contracts now...

Insane!

PalaceMonkey
06-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by TonysMumsabitch
Ahh OK cool. I am so tempted to just buy a PSP right now....Do you use the internet on it?

not a lot.

but it was quite easy to do when I did.

TonysMumsabitch
06-04-2006, 11:54 AM
Seeing as Ebay and I are not the best of friends - where could I buy one of these cases? Presumably, the same place that sells the PSP's?

Do you blokes trust Amazon for delivering something like a PSP?

Cheers,
Dave.

TonysMumsabitch
06-04-2006, 11:56 AM
It's also a shame that you can't choose the games as part of the bundle pack offered on Amazon.

lanepe
06-04-2006, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by TonysMumsabitch
It's also a shame that you can't choose the games as part of the bundle pack offered on Amazon.

Yeah, I agree. Want to get one myself and have just been looking at the same thing. The games dont sound great on Amazon. This is their bundle for:

Bundle includes:
PSP Giga Pack (includes PSP console, 1GB Memory Stick Duo, battery pack, AC adaptor, USB cable and stand)
Fired Up
World Tour Soccer
Virtua Tennis World Tour
Lumines

What do you think of the games? Is £235 a good price for the above?

TonysMumsabitch
06-04-2006, 12:01 PM
I think thats a good price, but I would rather have Pro Evo Soccer, and Football Manager!

Hopefully someone other than Amazon does a bundle pack online?

Oddjob
06-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by TonysMumsabitch
I think thats a good price, but I would rather have Pro Evo Soccer, and Football Manager!

Hopefully someone other than Amazon does a bundle pack online?

Beer !

Micky Droy
06-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by TonysMumsabitch
Seeing as Ebay and I are not the best of friends - where could I buy one of these cases? Presumably, the same place that sells the PSP's?

Do you blokes trust Amazon for delivering something like a PSP?

Cheers,
Dave.

Yeah should be no problem

TonysMumsabitch
06-04-2006, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Oddjob
Beer !

Tomorrow!

Micky Droy
06-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by TonysMumsabitch
Tomorrow!

TOMORROW WE ARE GOING TO BLOODY LEICESTER ARE YOU COMING?

TonysMumsabitch
06-04-2006, 12:10 PM
check this place out:

http://www.3wisemonkeys.co.uk/

Micky Droy
06-04-2006, 12:13 PM
TMAB, you've got a baaaaad case of consumer fever. I give you two more days salivating before you purchase this delicious hardware.

TonysMumsabitch
06-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Micky Droy
TOMORROW WE ARE GOING TO BLOODY LEICESTER ARE YOU COMING?

I can't mate! Still househunting - it's driving me bonkers!

TonysMumsabitch
06-04-2006, 12:17 PM
http://www.undercutter.com/cat--PSP-consoles--PSP+consoles.html

TonysMumsabitch
06-04-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Micky Droy
TMAB, you've got a baaaaad case of consumer fever. I give you two more days salivating before you purchase this delicious hardware.

I am poised to buy one now actually... :D

Micky Droy
06-04-2006, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by TonysMumsabitch
I am poised to buy one now actually... :D

Mouse over that Buy Now button.

I am having slowly mounting fever over an XBox 360. I am shutting the daemons out for now.

TonysMumsabitch
06-04-2006, 12:41 PM
I figure I may as well do it now, get it off my mind... :)

Micky Droy
06-04-2006, 12:44 PM
It's the only way.

Neil
06-04-2006, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Micky Droy
Mouse over that Buy Now button.

I am having slowly mounting fever over an XBox 360. I am shutting the daemons out for now.

Let them in!! It's worth every second!

:)

klimskady
06-04-2006, 01:41 PM
TMAB www.gameplay.com are pretty good for bundles.

TonysMumsabitch
06-04-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by klimskady
TMAB www.gameplay.com are pretty good for bundles.

Sweeeet, thanks!

Reginald
06-04-2006, 01:56 PM
Got a PSP last week. Got Championship Manager last week. Sussed. Got the wireless part working. Sussed.

Transfered all my music and "Red Dwarf US version" over. Memory gone but it tells me I have no Tracks or video.

TonysMumsabitch
06-04-2006, 02:31 PM
You got Championship Manager instead of football manager eh?

TonysMumsabitch
06-04-2006, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Micky Droy
It's the only way.

Ended up coming to my senses and shutting the window down.

[Well actually it had more to do with them not accepting Maestro]

:o

I think I will just get a laptop.

TonysMumsabitch
07-04-2006, 01:55 PM
I think Reg has me on ignore, LOL... :)

Reg needs way more cowbell!

Reginald
07-04-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by TonysMumsabitch
I think Reg has me on ignore, LOL... :)

Reg needs way more cowbell! My apologies I dont log on daily now due to abuse.

I followed the instuctions in the manual but the tunes etc seem to hide. :confused:

Marki
08-04-2006, 10:51 AM
You need to make sure that the memory card is formatted properly with the right file structure and that you haven't changed the file name from what your conversion programme named it as. Otherwise the PSP won't recognise it. So I am told.

I found this page pretty helpful...

PSP Video (http://www.mobiledeviant.com/forum/showthread.php?t=901)

Step 12 details the memory stick part.

There are many sites which show you how the memory card should be set up.

Reginald
08-04-2006, 06:09 PM
Thank you Marki. I will try it. :p

Reginald
21-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Might I ask for some more help?

Music is fine. Made a new folder and transferred it there.

Problem now is movies. I have downloaded several faves and was told that my 512 was not big enough to take them so I bought a 1GB. Made a folder called Video and downloaded a film via USB.

On the PC it shows that there is a film in the video folder but on the PSP it says that there is nothing. What have I done wrong please?

Marki
21-04-2006, 03:41 PM
What format is the file - i think it needs to be MP4.

Don't get your hopes up here - my knowledge is puddle deep.:D

PalaceMonkey
21-04-2006, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Reginald
Might I ask for some more help?

Music is fine. Made a new folder and transferred it there.

Problem now is movies. I have downloaded several faves and was told that my 512 was not big enough to take them so I bought a 1GB. Made a folder called Video and downloaded a film via USB.

On the PC it shows that there is a film in the video folder but on the PSP it says that there is nothing. What have I done wrong please?

I had problems with video files too.

Will try & remember what the solution is..

PalaceMonkey
21-04-2006, 03:43 PM
The file structure is important, I can remember that.

Reginald
21-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Shouldn't this be easy for us technophobes?

PalaceMonkey
21-04-2006, 03:46 PM
You'd think so!

Took me a while to get movies working, but all my info is at home, so I can't help you anymore at the mo'

Reginald
21-04-2006, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by PalaceMonkey
You'd think so!

Took me a while to get movies working, but all my info is at home, so I can't help you anymore at the mo' Thank you Tony :o

Ferris Bueller
21-04-2006, 03:48 PM
The movies have to be named M4V00000.MP4 to M4V99999.MP4. Calling it anything else will result in it not showing up in the browser.

PalaceMonkey
21-04-2006, 03:48 PM
:sob:

Ferris Bueller
21-04-2006, 03:52 PM
Also, they need to be saved in the folder named MP_ROOT