PDA

View Full Version : County Cricket 2006 thread

elliott
10-04-2006, 02:22 PM
Just noticed that we're lacking a county cricket thread this summer.

I can't be arsed to do the "Who do you think will win" poll cos it always makes everyone look silly at the end of the season.

Anyhoo, The Bears to win the CC. With Triple H, Dan Vettori and Ambrose in, I think we'll do well. All depends on when Ian Bell can get himself dropped from the England side.

Unfortunately, this is going to be the first season that I don't have a membership. Despite Jonny Trott phoning me up begging, I can't really justify it, given I'm in Sheffield for some time, and really should work this summer.

However, good news! I may be coming down to Hove next week for a day to watch the Bears. My friend is a Sussex fan, and lives in Tunbridge Wells.

Also, might be in TW for the Bears game down there, but doubtful due to exams.

Anyway, 2006 thoughts?

Wildcat Army
10-04-2006, 02:42 PM
Yorkies all the way.... Lehmann to knock everyone round the park.

srs9jps
10-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by elliott
Despite Jonny Trott phoning me up begging, I can't really justify it,

I had Jim Troughton calling me up!

You should still join- student membership was only about £30 last year. I joined so that my England tickets would be cheaper, effectively the membership ended up being free.

20-20 at Edgbaston on a Friday night is quality:p

srs9jps
10-04-2006, 02:46 PM
CC1 Hampshire
CC2 Worcester

Already mentioned elsewhere, fancy Trott to have a big season for Warwick.

RashtheSmash2
10-04-2006, 02:46 PM
Hants to continue last seasons good work. Must concentrate on getting out of NL 2 in the one day stuff, with a better showing in Twenty20.
Really looking forward to June 27. Sussex v Hants in first ever Twenty20 at Arundel.
One further point concerning the CC. Ruskin Old Boy suggested that Division 2 should have its own thread. Now it has new members I heartily commend his suggestion.:D

elliott
10-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Oooh.
You might have tempted me to be honest.

I do really want to and I know that if I put my mind to it, I can make that money back easily, but it's £30 that I really don't have at the moment.

My mum who used to live in Cape Town had a 20 minute conversation with Mr Trott, despite not knowing who he is!

I think I might wait til I've done some shifts this holiday to see how much money I've got coming in

elliott
10-04-2006, 02:50 PM
Oh yeah.

And can all those who go to the Twenty-20 and maybe a day of the test for the jolly with their mates, this thread isn't for you guys

srs9jps
10-04-2006, 02:50 PM
Do you play yourself Elliott?

elliott
10-04-2006, 02:54 PM
Poco. Depends on time, and rugby/American football committments. Cricket playing is down there as far as time spending goes. I play for Solihull Municipal when I can actually get my kit out of the loft.

I always wear my Palace shirt at Edgbaston, if you see me, please say hello

Webb
10-04-2006, 02:57 PM
I'm going to Glos - Somerset next week, if I have time (coursework permitting). It'd be rude not to, as I'm only a three minute walk from the County Ground here in Bristol.

I'm glad both Surrey (my home county) and Glos got relegated last season (in a strange sort of way), as they'll obviously play each other more times, but I think Glos have added to their squad well over the close season. I'm looking forward to seeing more of NZ imports Hamish Marshall and Shane Bond in the flesh, but the choice of Jon Lewis as skipper this season is an odd one IMO. A great domestic bowler, yes, but he doesn't strike me as a captain.

AddiscombeEagle
10-04-2006, 02:58 PM
I was going to get membership for Surrey this year for the first time, but with my daughter being born a month ago, I doubt I will get down there as much this year.

Hopefully we will bounce back this year, Kumble is a a good signing and the final year for Bicknell as well.

elliott
10-04-2006, 03:00 PM
Shane Bond is a good player if you can get more than three games out of him

Webb
10-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Well, he isn't coming over until the end of May, so there is plenty of more time for him to crock himself before his season starts! Which is a shame, as I really want to see him play, being one of the faster bowlers in world cricket and all.

Oh, my predictions for the season: CC1 - Yorkshire. CC2 - Surrey.

srs9jps
10-04-2006, 03:09 PM
I always wear my Palace shirt at Edgbaston, if you see me, please say hello

Will do, but don't get much as I play most weekends for Sutton Coldfield CC. Will be there for the 20/20 matches though, supping on the Red Stripe!!

Joeymaz
10-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Surrey need some decent bowlers

TN16_Eagle
10-04-2006, 03:18 PM
Hello all, sorry to hijack your County Cricket thread, but I captain a Sunday Friendly side that plays in Tatsfield (Surrey/Kent border) and was wondering if anyone was looking for a club to join for this season. We are a medium strength team who win as many as we lose, I can send a link to our website if anyone is interested.

Alternatively if anyone has a few free sunday fixtures, PM me with your details and our fixture secretary will be in touch.

As for my prediction this year - Kent won't win the 20/20!

AddiscombeEagle
10-04-2006, 03:19 PM
I have not played cricket since I was at school (29 now), is it easy to get back into?

TN16_Eagle
10-04-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by AddiscombeEagle
I have not played cricket since I was at school (29 now), is it easy to get back into?

At friendly level I say it is. Wouldn't be as easy to stroll into a league match though.

AddiscombeEagle
10-04-2006, 03:24 PM
What's the best way to see if there are any local clubs wanting players of a poor level?

TN16_Eagle
10-04-2006, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by AddiscombeEagle
What's the best way to see if there are any local clubs wanting players of a poor level?

I've got to rush off and catch a train, but I will post a website link later this evening.

elliott
10-04-2006, 06:47 PM
I've now decided.

Warwicks will get a phone call tomorrow afternoon

Webb
11-04-2006, 08:20 PM
Yes! The Derbyshire - Surrey opener has been moved to the Oval. And I'm in London/Surrey next Thursday and Friday before the Saints game and I was looking for something to do on the Thursday, so that's that sorted out nicely. :D

srs9jps
11-04-2006, 10:52 PM
I've just registered my team for the Daily Telegraph Fantasy Cricket.

Have created a BBS Super League

So get joining up! When you have use the pin to join the super league:

League Name: CPFC BBS
League PIN: 8000192

joyce the voice
11-04-2006, 10:58 PM
what are Kent's chances this year?

will hung
11-04-2006, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by joyce the voice
what are Kent's chances this year?

slim and none as always :)

Raoul Duke
12-04-2006, 02:50 AM
With the Australian test side playing no cricket between May and November you can expect the County League being full of Aussies this year. Should help to raise the standard a bit.

elliott
12-04-2006, 11:48 PM
Nick Knight to retire in September.

First Aki, now this.

A sad day in the Warwickshire/Crystal Palace household

Webb
13-04-2006, 08:54 AM
How old is he now El? 34/35ish, isn't he?

A great player and a great servant for you guys - I remember when he was first around in the ODI England squad. It's strange when players you grew with start to retire, isn't it? I had the same feeling last year with Thorpe, and Stewart and Hollioake before that. I'm starting to feel old myself now!

elliott
13-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Stitch was born on the 28th November 1969, so he's a fair bit older than you (and I) thought.

He only got his county cap in 2005 though, so that may be why he seems younger.

It is a shame because I'm getting to the stage where those players who I grew up with are retiring.

The main thing I think is that with Warwickshire legends of late (Neil Smith, Trevor Penney, Dom Ostler, Keith Piper etc), they've all announced their retirement very late in their decline. All of them were struggling with second XI cricket when they retired and so that sort of lessens the blow when you think about them. Nick Knight is the first player to retire at the top for a while for The Bears. He is still our best batsman, and that's going to hurt him and the fans.

RashtheSmash2
15-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Lancs v Hants kicks off the Liverpool Victoria County Championship on Tuesday.

Webb
16-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Good to see Chris Read getting into some runs (110*) before the season starts in the MCC - Notts game.

He's clearly a better 'keeper than Jones, but it's a shame his batting has previously let him down. I hope he is given another chance at international level now his batting form is seemingly on the up.

aj4england
16-04-2006, 10:05 PM
i'd say leicester for the 20/20
hampshire for the league

RashtheSmash2
17-04-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by aj4england
hampshire for the league

A nice thought but not until our top order batting improves drastically. Carberry should help stiffen the batting but we remain woefully weak. Middle order (Pothas, Masceranas) rather better. Hopefully top3. (Oh no, here comes elliot with his Hants are the new Chelsea!) ;)

elliott
17-04-2006, 05:12 PM
They are.

I think they'll win the league this year

jim bowen
17-04-2006, 05:21 PM
hi all, don't forget we have three 20 / 20's at kenty county cricket club in beckenham this year. great local venue to watch the matches. might get some free tickets - if so will post here to see if anyone wants them.

Lizzy
17-04-2006, 10:33 PM
middlesex have a great batting line up but I worry (as I do every season) about the depth in the squad - a couple of injuries to the fast bowlers (who are more likely to get injured) and there is nothing to replace them.

JKM
18-04-2006, 10:14 AM
Went to see Surrey yesterday in a pre-season match against Durham uni. It was a bit too one-sided to judge how Surrey will get on this season. Akram was brilliant though.

Season starts tomorrow against Derbyshire, I might pop down for a few hours after work this week.

Webb
18-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by JKM
Went to see Surrey yesterday in a pre-season match against Durham uni. It was a bit too one-sided to judge how Surrey will get on this season. Akram was brilliant though.

Season starts tomorrow against Derbyshire, I might pop down for a few hours after work this week.

Say hello on Thursday. :hi: I'll be the drunk one trying to talk to Mark Butcher about Palace.:)

elliott
19-04-2006, 02:05 PM
Freddy Klokker starting behind the sticks for The Bears. Frostie failed a fitness test this morning so the 23 year old Dane has been sent into the fray.

Sussex 153 for 5

JKM
19-04-2006, 03:00 PM
Derbyshire won the toss against Surrey and chose to bat. They are currently 275-4.

Ormond and Mahmood got the wickets for Surrey, two each.

RashtheSmash2
19-04-2006, 05:24 PM
Hants batting not noticeably improved. Skittled for 194 at Old Trafford although I think it was a bad toss to lose.

Embassy No.1
19-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Is there any other Twenty20's at the Brit Oval? apart from:

Wed, 28 Jun 2006 17:30 Surrey v Kent
Sat, 01 Jul 2006 12:30 Surrey v Essex
Tue, 04 Jul 2006 17:30 Surrey v Sussex
Fri, 07 Jul 2006 17:30 Surrey v Middlesex

Me & mine have already penciled in going to the above, but reading the thread I think i'm missing some.

srs9jps
19-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Freddy Klokker starting behind the sticks for The Bears. Frostie failed a fitness test this morning so the 23 year old Dane has been sent into the fray.

Sussex 153 for 5

What has happened to Ambrose?

JKM
20-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Embassy No.1

Me & mine have already penciled in going to the above, but reading the thread I think i'm missing some.

That's all I can see on the fixture list. Some good away ones in there though, Lord's looking a good one.

Embassy No.1
20-04-2006, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by JKM
That's all I can see on the fixture list. Some good away ones in there though, Lord's looking a good one.

Have you got a link to hand for the Lord's fixture list per chance?

JKM
20-04-2006, 10:35 AM
Have you got a link to hand for the Lord's fixture list per chance?

http://www.lords.org/fixtures/matches/

Embassy No.1
20-04-2006, 11:27 AM
Cheers JKM. Your a gent.

jazman
20-04-2006, 11:33 AM
Surrey Brown Caps all the way for Div2.

Just watching the score today against Derbyshire and there seems to be 3 batsmen batting for them right now ..... A Botha, S Jones and M Sheikh. On the Sky Cricket Centre anyway ....

Adlerhorst
20-04-2006, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by srs9jps
What has happened to Ambrose?

Joined Warks as wasn't getting time behind the stumps ahead of Prior apparently.

Adlerhorst
20-04-2006, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by jazman
Surrey Brown Caps all the way for Div2.

Just watching the score today against Derbyshire and there seems to be 3 batsmen batting for them right now ..... A Botha, S Jones and M Sheikh. On the Sky Cricket Centre anyway ....

Akram only bowled 3 overs so am assuming he's injured.

jazman
20-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Adlerhorst

Doesn't explain why Derbyshire are currently batting with 3 batsmen all scoring at the moment ... :eek:

srs9jps
20-04-2006, 02:08 PM
Joined Warks as wasn't getting time behind the stumps ahead of Prior apparently.

what I meant was, why isn't he playing for Warwick in this game?

DrRock
21-04-2006, 09:46 AM
Sadly, I predict another season of struggle for Surrey. I just don't think our bowling line-up is strong enough even when Kumble starts. In the past we could always rely on M.P. Bicknell to 'lead the line' with his usual accuracy and regular wicket-taking. But nowadays he's knocking on a bit and is more injury-prone, so who does that leave in the seamer department? Clark and Akram getting carted all over the place week in week out, I guess.
Still, its not in my nature to be pessimistic, so roll on the cricket season and hopefully I'm wrong.

Webb
22-04-2006, 11:15 AM
I went to the Oval on Thursday.

Derbyshire played well for their 492, Botha (sp?) was the stand out player for them, getting a nice ton, but I thought there was little zip and passion from the Surrey bowlers to be honest. We just didn't look like we wanted to get them out. The point about Akram is interesting though. He didn't appear to be injured, but I could be wrong.

From what I saw of our first innings, Newman started slowly and then found some form before getting himself out with his first rash shot in his innings. Ramps batted well, but Butcher seemed a little wayward, which clearly showed in his dabble outside of off when getting out.

I'm not convinced we'll go up now, but hey, the season is young.:(

Oh, and our new one day shirt is really nice. I had to buy one.

Lizzy
22-04-2006, 12:55 PM

not at the oval - there are a couple of out matches

Lizzy
22-04-2006, 12:56 PM
can't wait - my cricket season starts two weeks tomorrow (I play for the MCC ladies) against Rodean School. Then the Barnes CC league season starts the week after. Gonna be fab.

Adlerhorst
22-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Webb
Oh, and our new one day shirt is really nice. I had to buy one.

Unlike the new one day name, which although is traditional still sounds pretty dire.

Rikki getting us out of a hole today.

aj4england
22-04-2006, 09:16 PM
anyone doing the telegraph fantasy cricket team? maybe start a BBS league?

srs9jps
22-04-2006, 10:38 PM

there you go!

jazman
25-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by DrRock
Sadly, I predict another season of struggle for Surrey. I just don't think our bowling line-up is strong enough even when Kumble starts. In the past we could always rely on M.P. Bicknell to 'lead the line' with his usual accuracy and regular wicket-taking. But nowadays he's knocking on a bit and is more injury-prone, so who does that leave in the seamer department? Clark and Akram getting carted all over the place week in week out, I guess.
Still, its not in my nature to be pessimistic, so roll on the cricket season and hopefully I'm wrong.

I really hope you are wrong too. Fingers crossed for a good season. :p

Webb
25-04-2006, 12:04 PM
New Zealand paceman Shane Bond has been ruled out of the rest of their tour of South Africa because of a knee injury.

The 30-year-old has been told to rest for four to six weeks and will not play for Gloucestershire either this season.

"Shane bowled six overs yesterday as part of his fitness assessment but the knee became sore," the Kiwis' general manager Lindsay Croker explained.

"Shane will now need the injury to settle completely before starting on building himself up again."

Bond played in the warm-up game for the first Test but the soreness prevented him playing in the defeat at Centurion Park last week.

Michael Mason was called up as cover last week and the Kiwis say they will decide this week whether to call for an additional bowler.

Gloucestershire, meanwhile, have already begun looking for alternatives.

Chief executive Tom Richardson said: "We believe he would have a made a significant difference on and off the field for us.

"We now need to find a replacement and, in doing so, will consider the balance of the team."

Bond has taken 64 wickets in 14 Tests but injury problems have kept him out of the game for long spells.

He spent two years on the sidelines because of stress fractures to his back and was forced to pull out of a county contract with Warwickshire in 2003.

Why have I got Radiohead's No Surprises in my head now?

jazman
25-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Why have I got Radiohead's No Surprises in my head now?

Because it's a fine tune? ;)

Webb
25-04-2006, 12:21 PM
Because it's a fine tune? ;)

And the fact I just listened to it aswell I suspect.:D

jazman
26-04-2006, 11:42 AM

Groin problem so out of the game against Leics. Murtagh replaces him.

TN16_Eagle
26-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Just seen on SSN that "Cricket AM" is a new show starting Saturdays on Sky Sports. Could be a worth watching. :D

jazman
26-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by TN16_Eagle
Just seen on SSN that "Cricket AM" is a new show starting Saturdays on Sky Sports. Could be a worth watching. :D

I saw that too, although could be a disaster waiting to happen. Will give it a go though. Wasn't the bloke in Hollyoaks?

srs9jps
26-04-2006, 07:53 PM
Weird to see Tim Groenewald making his debut for Warwickshire today. Me and him played for the same club last season!!

srs9jps
26-04-2006, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by TN16_Eagle

I remember seeing an interview with Flintoff and Harmison on Soccer AM suggesting the idea that they should host a Cricket AM show.

rach1985blue
27-04-2006, 10:16 AM
Well sad to say i live in Kent :eek:

What is county cricket like, im thinking ahead see and

Kent are playing Hampshire on 2nd July in Beckenham

Is it worth going £12

Shane Warne
Kevin Peterson

Geraint Jones

People you tell me

:lux: :lux: :hi: :hi: :lux: :lux: :hi: :hi:

Plus Beer! hehe :p

Webb
27-04-2006, 11:53 AM
You know Pietersen and Jones won't be playing in that game due to the international ODI on July 1st in Leeds, right? I suspect Warne will be playing though.

Twenty20 is great fun though! Perfect for a sunny summer evening. I think it's great cricket now has a varity of differing forms to offer to different demographics. Personally, I prefer the longer, more tactical version of the game.

RashtheSmash2
27-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Hants batting continues to be dire. All out for 168 v Sussex. (albeit on a pitch of "variable bounce"., test venue my a***.)

elliott
27-04-2006, 08:46 PM
Weird to see Tim Groenewald making his debut for Warwickshire today. Me and him played for the same club last season!!

Did you go?

Went along today. Looked impressive actually.

Got a few bits of interesting gossip regarding KP and a few other people/teams as you do. I'll post up tomorrow when I'm bored

75points
29-04-2006, 07:53 PM
My 2nd game of the season today. Convincing win 20/20 131 for 5 with me scoring 72* then bowling them out for 66 with myself picking up 2 wickets. Good days work.

Webb
30-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Not a great day for me, sport wise. Palace lost, Bristol rugby lost after being 16-0 up with ten minutes left, and both Surrey and Glos lost limply in the C&G Trophy.

Wish I'd gone to the Glos - Ireland game though, I'd forgotten Ireland had Shahid Afridi now. He got figures of 8 overs, 6 maidens, 4 runs for 3!

A great innings by Carter today for Warwicks. 135 from 86 balls, with 16 fours and 8 sixes! I'm sure Elliott will be along to gloat soon.;)

elliott
30-04-2006, 06:30 PM
You barstards. Went to Palace today.

A fine piece of batting from the man who's a dark horse for England ODI selection (wink wink)

aj4england
30-04-2006, 07:06 PM

I have joined the super league but for it to run we need another 3 people. Anyone interested or who have joined already please join the super league, it costs nothing and it will see who is the fantasy cricket champion of the BBS!

JKM
02-05-2006, 02:44 PM
I went to Canterbury yesterday to watch Surrey vs Kent in the C&G. Surrey won by 1 run :lux:

At home to Smoerset in the C&G on Sunday, and a county game at the Oval starting tomorrow.

I'm beginning to leave the football season behind, apart from the play-offs. :love:

Webb
02-05-2006, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by JKM
I went to Canterbury yesterday to watch Surrey vs Kent in the C&G. Surrey won by 1 run :lux:

At home to Smoerset in the C&G on Sunday, and a county game at the Oval starting tomorrow.

I'm beginning to leave the football season behind, apart from the play-offs. :love:

A county game?! It's Surrey - Glos, my two teams meeting for the first time this season! I duno who I want to win......

AddiscombeEagle
02-05-2006, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by aj4england

I have joined the super league but for it to run we need another 3 people. Anyone interested or who have joined already please join the super league, it costs nothing and it will see who is the fantasy cricket champion of the BBS!

I am in, need one more. Last day to join.

Adlerhorst
03-05-2006, 11:55 AM
Surrey starting well. Glous 50 odd for three.

jazman
03-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by JKM

Looked like a great game even though it was reduced overs :p

Webb
03-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Surrey starting well. Glous 50 odd for three.

Surrey 132-1 v Gloucs 207 at the close. C'mon Surrey, I guess.:)

elliott
03-05-2006, 06:27 PM
Good god!

248 runs in 104 overs for us. Horrible!

jazman
04-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Surrey turning the screw now with Ramps hitting a ton :p

Adlerhorst
04-05-2006, 12:42 PM
First win against Glous in eleven years beckons (weather permitting). We'll be 300 ahead by the close.

Adlerhorst
04-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Surrey more than 300 ahead now 521-5, Ramps double ton and Benning ton. Still an hour or so left as well.

PS. I shoudln't mention it but Ramps is 242 now, highest ever score is 279.

Adlerhorst
04-05-2006, 05:04 PM
Giant six brings ramps his 250. Right into the top level of the OCS

Adlerhorst
04-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Surrey 400 ahead. ramps almost there, but can hardly walk now.

RashtheSmash2
04-05-2006, 06:29 PM
Good day with the bat for Hants. c320 first innings lead. Middx reply 130 for 1 but still two days to get them out and bat again if necessary. Middx starting to look a poor side.

Adlerhorst
05-05-2006, 05:25 PM
Surrey win by an innings and absolutely shitloads. All a bit one sided.

Neil
05-05-2006, 05:27 PM
Surrey win by an innings and absolutely shitloads. All a bit one sided.

:lux: - excellent innings by Ramps. His best ever if I'm not mistaken!

Adlerhorst
05-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Neil
:lux: - excellent innings by Ramps. His best ever if I'm not mistaken!

Yep - missed his triple century by 8. Holed out in the deep.

Ruskin Old Boy
06-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Beat the previous best win over Gloucs way back in 1894

RashtheSmash2
07-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
Beat the previous best win over Gloucs way back in 1894 and I was there.

A special 40th birthday treat?

jazman
08-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Shame the Brown Caps couldn't follow it up with a win against Somerset live on Sky yesterday in the C&G Trophy. It was there for the taking but we wasted our wickets. Foolishly went for a run that wasn't on for the last wicket ....

JKM
09-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Yeah, I went on Sunday, Somerset were good. I went to the Gloucestershire match on the Thursday too, Benning's century was brilliant, in 100 balls. Running his captain out on Sunday didn't do him any favours though!

arussell
11-05-2006, 08:03 AM
Great to see Kent off to a flier in all competitions :D

Surrey should really have won on Sunday. See you all at the Oval latter next week, and then at Whitgift :)

RashtheSmash2
11-05-2006, 12:49 PM
Yam Yams labouring against the new Chelsea at Edgebaston. However, with Hants killer instinct they are still likely to get away with a draw. (or better:angel: )

King William
24-05-2006, 06:17 PM
ive got two tickets for sale for surrey v hampshire at whitgift school sunday 4th june. 10.45 start. £8 each if anyones interested.

elliott
24-05-2006, 06:26 PM
How embarassing is this new 50 over competition.

If a team has just 3 rained off games, they may as well not bother. It's a shambles having no QFs and just shows how stupid the ECB etc are!

Why mess with whats working!

Webb
25-05-2006, 03:46 PM
Today, Surrey legend, Eric Bedser died aged 87.

The brother of Sir Alec, Eric served the game of cricket and his beloved Club, Surrey throughout a playing career that spanned from 1939 to 1962.

Eric, the off spinning all-rounder played in 457 first-class matches and is regarded by many as one of Surrey’s greatest ever players.

Originally starting out as a handy medium pace bowler, Bedser was forced to develop the art of off-spin bowling as both brothers thought that there would not be room for the two of them in any one side.

Unfortunately for him, some seven years on from when he joined the Club in 1939, Surrey enrolled two more handy young spinners, Jim Laker and Tony Lock. Both men, Ericbedser
Eric Bedser in action for Surrey © SCCC/EMPICS as we all know, dominated county attacks with their different variations of spin and it was Bedser who was forced to play second fiddle to the spinning wizards.

It is a safe assumption to make that Bedser would have been the number one spinner at most other Counties around that time but their loss was Surrey’s gain, particularly when Laker and Lock were off on international duty.

Throughout his career for Surrey, Bedser amassed 14,148 runs at 23.93 placing him 22nd on the list of all time leading run scorers for the Club. He also snared 797 wickets at 24.88. More than useful figures for a man who never represented his country.

But for every negative there is a positive and Bedser’s absence at international level meant that he played a vital role in Surrey’s success in the 1950’s. He neared the double of 1000 runs and 100 wickets in 1956, scoring 804 runs and taking 92 wickets but was denied by bad weather. Stuart Surridge, Surrey’s captain at the time said, “Without Eric in the side, Surrey might not have retained the title.”

In the six seasons where Bedser scored over 1000 runs, he took over 50 wickets in four of them. He received his County Cap in 1947 and was granted a benefit year in 1958. He was also made president of the Club in 1990 and since then has followed the Club’s progress with a keen eye.

Everyone at Surrey County Cricket Club passes on their condolences to Eric’s family at this sad time.

His memory will live on as one of Surrey’s cricketing legends.

May he rest in peace.

I met him once at the Oval. He was a very humble man, who enjoyed the success of his brother's career more than anyone, it seemed. He chatted to me and my dad for about 10 minutes by the members enterance, even though he wanted to see the start of the days play. Obviously, I never saw him play, but he was a Surrey great. RIP Eric.

elliott
26-05-2006, 12:07 AM
I feel really sad now.

How horrible must Alec be feeling. Didn't they spend all of their time together.

My condolences and I hope England wear the black armbands tomorrow.

On other notes, Warwicks being shit again

ukjay_29
31-05-2006, 11:29 AM
Kent have Warwicks stumbling elliott !! :D

49-3, Hall swinging it beautifully ( according to my bro at Tunbridge Wells)

elliott
31-05-2006, 11:31 AM
Bollocks

Aki Aki Aki
31-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Warwicks 88-5 :lux:

Aki Aki Aki
01-06-2006, 12:03 PM
I've noticed that England's former demon leggie Ian Salisbury is having a good start to the season. I know he is getting on a bit these days, but how crazy would it be to suggest another England call ?? He can also bat and field.

RashtheSmash2
05-06-2006, 02:30 PM
Surrey humiliated by Hants in the C&G at Whitgift. That on the back of a 404 run chase to beat Yorks in the Championship the day before. Pity Sussex keep winning.

Adlerhorst
08-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Well played Mr Brown. Best response to being dropped.

Bobby Woodruff
08-06-2006, 11:07 PM
Well played Mr Brown. Best response to being dropped.

And well played the skipper!

Bobby Woodruff
08-06-2006, 11:15 PM
This is what I like to see!

elliott
14-06-2006, 08:09 PM
Piss poor again today. Complete shambles!

My brothers first day of cricket this season tomorrow. Hope we ••••••• improve.

Webb
18-06-2006, 05:48 PM
I went to the Gloucestershire - Surrey C&G game today - the county I live in vs the county I support. It was a shame that it was a hugely irrelevant game, thanks to the farcical new format of the C&G Trophy, but this probably made the teams go for it even more.

Glos scored an impressive 339-8 from their 50 overs, with Ian Harvey getting a fantastic ton, and their number 10, David Brown, smacked a mentalist style 63 from only 28 balls.

I didn’t think Surrey would get even close to that figure, especially after we found ourselves 26-2 after Butchers golden duck. Opener James Benning batted the entire innings, scoring a hugely impressive 189 from 146 balls. He looked so in control at all times, and it was a shame that the communication between him and Neil Saker on the penultimate ball broke down, with Surrey needing three runs from the last two balls to get the win.

It was a cracking match though, both teams really went for it, and it was a great way to spend a Sunday.

Glaws Eagle
19-06-2006, 07:14 AM
Great game of Cricket, beat watching the World Cup ...... come on the County ....

Gloucestershire, la la la .....Gloucestershire, la la la .....

Ruskin Old Boy
19-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Justin Langer enjoying his day at Guildford - 207 not out from 237 balls

Pinkie Brown
20-07-2006, 09:41 AM
197 for that man Matt Walker yesterday :lux:

And down in the pub league it's nice to see the Surrey bowlers getting a good seeing to as well :D

drizzt
20-07-2006, 09:47 AM
Justin Langer had a great day for us (somerset) yesterday! Shame hes going leaving soon!

drizzt
20-07-2006, 09:49 AM
I should also say, you'd all be most welcome at my county cricket forum.

www.countycricketclubs.co.uk

Pinkie Brown
20-07-2006, 10:11 AM
nice site, I'll sign up later

Super Matty Walker: http://www.ecb.co.uk/domestic/liverpool-victoria-county-championship/walker-gives-kent-upper-hand,9224,EN.html

si1965
20-07-2006, 01:27 PM
Langer continuing his run fest...

JL Langer - 313 (39 fours, 2 sixes)

Fide et Fiducia
20-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Finally out; 342 off 416.

Pinkie Brown
20-07-2006, 02:37 PM
lots of big scores being posted today, not good weather for bowling!

elliott
20-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Drizzt, if you want some publicity, try the Bears forum. www.thebears.co.uk and go to interactive.

drizzt
21-07-2006, 12:06 PM
Thanks Guys. I'll try there Elliott.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
21-07-2006, 02:44 PM
Anyone know if Justin Langer will be playing against Surrey at Guildford on Sunday?

Memo to self: Remember a strong factor sun cream, as one side of my head got sunburnt last time I watched a game there.

jazman
21-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro
Anyone know if Justin Langer will be playing against Surrey at Guildford on Sunday?

Memo to self: Remember a strong factor sun cream, as one side of my head got sunburnt last time I watched a game there.

I thought today was the 3rd day of 4 so no play on Sunday. Surrey are playing the Twenty/20 quarter final on Monday so I assume that is the case.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
21-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Nah it's that Sunday one day competition thingy. I know Surrey always mess about with their team for that competition, didn't know if Somerset would be doing so too.

Edenbridge Eagle In Exile
21-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Kent victorious against Lancashire - 2 wkts :p :lux: :lux:

Dave Nunn
21-07-2006, 03:48 PM
Phew!!! 2 wickets left and we beat lanky lancashire. Beat me to it bro!!! :p :moo:

Neil
21-07-2006, 05:01 PM
How are Surrey getting on today?

ebyeeckeagle
21-07-2006, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Edenbridge Eagle In Exile
Kent victorious against Lancashire - 2 wkts :p :lux: :lux:

EASY. EASY.EASY :o

120-1, turned me back, 180-8. England-esque, except we won in the end.

ebyeeckeagle
21-07-2006, 05:37 PM

Dunno Neil. I'm only really interested in top flight cricket. ;)

calne eagle
21-07-2006, 08:19 PM

Very very well :p .

Draw should be safe. Smash some runs tomorrow, then spin them out.

elliott
21-07-2006, 11:47 PM
Good god.

Another shambles against the wankiest CC side ever.

Streak out!

jazman
22-07-2006, 12:17 PM

717 ao this morning. Ramps with 167 and Rikki with 211 :eek:
A batting wicket me thinks :D

jazman
23-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Looks like I was wrong. Surrey are playing Kent in the Pro40 today. Bizarre seeing as both have Twenty20 Q/F games tomorrow.

Ruskin Old Boy
23-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Anyone know how Surrey got on against Kent? :D ;)

ebyeeckeagle
23-07-2006, 06:28 PM

We were playing a reserve team, in preparation for the important match tomorrow:cool: :o

TenEmBee
23-07-2006, 09:57 PM

Think Surrey just scraped home.
Did anyone see sideburns sitting in the crowd???

jazman
24-07-2006, 07:40 AM

We beat them for the 3rd time this season :lux:

Fide et Fiducia
24-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Basher Benning shoots down the Spitfires :-)

DrRock
24-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Comfortable win for the mighty Browncaps, albeit slightly drawn out due to Butch's somewhat dour fifty, which was probably about as entertaining as an episode of Big Brother.
Woodbridge Road packed to the rafters though and a good atmosphere.
:p

Ruskin Old Boy
24-07-2006, 10:40 AM

Thanks, must have missed the score yesterday :D ;)

jazman
24-07-2006, 10:44 AM

Thanks, must have missed the score yesterday :D ;)

Let's hope we continue our fine batting form this evening :p

Pinkie Brown
24-07-2006, 10:46 AM

Shame you can't play us at proper cricket! what division are you in again? ;)

jazman
24-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Pinkie Brown

Top of Div2 actually ;)

elliott
24-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Pinkie Brown

:p :lux: :lux: :lux:

:hi: :hi:

Fide et Fiducia
24-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Carefull Elliott, your boys aren't on much of a run in the LV are they? ;)

ebyeeckeagle
24-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Top of Div2 actually ;)

So the answer to Pinkie is...............Division TWO

:lux: :lux: :lux:

elliott
24-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Fide et Fiducia
Carefull Elliott, your boys aren't on much of a run in the LV are they? ;)

Still in the top flight...

Just...

Pinkie Brown
27-07-2006, 07:57 AM
Kents first Pro 40 win :lux:

"Paceman Tyron Henderson took 5-28 to bowl Kent to a 109-run Pro40 victory over Somerset at Taunton"

elliott
29-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Yay.

Warwicks kicked ass!!!

I felt so sorry for Sussex's tail. Mushtaq came in at 9 and I was uncertain how on earth anyone could bat worse than him. Then came Kirtley and Lewry. Dear oh dear.

All 10 wickets in a session.

elliott
03-08-2006, 01:34 PM
From 2008, counties will only be allowed one overseas player.

Adlerhorst
03-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Ramps hits seventh century of the season - over sixteen hundred first class runs this season. With five games left he's got to be looking at 2000 for the year. Cannot remember the last time someone achieved that.

kolinkins
03-08-2006, 07:31 PM
From 2008, counties will only be allowed one overseas player.

Stupid rule.

It should be a max of three.

The only limit should be of age - it's the 30somethings going nowhere who are holding back young English players, not the overseas players.

Oddjob
03-08-2006, 10:01 PM
I agree with the new rule, ensure we only get the cream of international talent and give the youngsters a chance to shine

ANDYEAGLE
04-08-2006, 01:02 PM
Surrey 587-2 Ramps 270 no Butch145no

Glad Ramps is not good enough for England then?

AddiscombeEagle
04-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Unbelievable season he is having.

Along with Thorpe, he is the one player I have always loved watching live.

Fide et Fiducia
04-08-2006, 02:27 PM
Triple ton for Ramps

Aki Aki Aki
04-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Butch and Ramps should still be playing for England.

Fide et Fiducia
04-08-2006, 02:40 PM
I'm a big fan of both but we are not short of talented top order batsmen at the moment. I'm not sure Ramps wants to anyway.

Ruskin Old Boy
05-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Well played Surrey :p

elliott
07-08-2006, 11:34 AM
Coming down to Lords this Wednesday to watch Middx v Hants (day 2).

Not too sure why, but we are.

If anyone fancies saying hello, just keep an eye out for someone wearing their Bears clobber.

RashtheSmash2
07-08-2006, 03:06 PM
[B]Coming down to Lords this Wednesday to watch Middx v Hants (day 2).

Not too sure why, but we are.

/B]

PAH! Chelsea watcher!;) (own up, you just love Warney.)

Adlerhorst
09-08-2006, 12:12 PM
Martin Bicknell announced his retirement from the game today. 1000+ wickets at 25. 6700+ runs at 24, Bickers was a hell of a player. Criminally underused by England.

Thanks for the memories

jazman
09-08-2006, 01:59 PM
Martin Bicknell announced his retirement from the game today. 1000+ wickets at 25. 6700+ runs at 24, Bickers was a hell of a player. Criminally underused by England.

Thanks for the memories

I'll second that :p

Ruskin Old Boy
09-08-2006, 07:32 PM

Thanks for the memories

Hear hear :p

Three more centuries today for Surrey ... Ramps falling short of another double century by 4 runs.

Freddy Kurz
09-08-2006, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the memories

A greatly underrated bowler, who had he not tried to bowl fast in his
his younger days, and been encouraged by Surrey's coaches from
the beginning to "shape" the ball either way through the air and
seam it off the pitch, as he later learned to do in masterly fash-
ion, he would have taken enough wickets to have forced his way
into the England team, and won many, many more caps.

His batting was of a quality both in defence and attack to put him
in the category of a true all-rounder. He was also a good fielder
with a safe pair of hands. Certainly one of Surrey's finest post-
war cricketers.

Congratulations on a great career Bickers and thank you for your
unstinted service to Surrey CCC.

Adlerhorst
10-08-2006, 11:12 AM
Ramps passed 2000 first class runs this season after his 196 yesterday. Wow. Incredible performance

elliott
10-08-2006, 11:15 AM
He looks too much like Captain Black for me. Bicknell that is.

elliott
10-08-2006, 11:26 AM
Quite enjoyed yesterday. Cricket was pants but we had fun. Watched some real tennis and went to the museum.

Nice day out.

jazman
10-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Ramps passed 2000 first class runs this season after his 196 yesterday. Wow. Incredible performance

Surrey really are on fire. Currently on a first innings lead against Worcs of over 200 with 3 centurians. Well done lads and Ramps, Div1 beckons :p And Rikki Clarke in the Champions Trophy squad. Hopefully he will make the final squad.

Lee B
10-08-2006, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the memories

They got the painting for the pavillion done at the right time then. He has been class, absolute class. Pity is that there's no-one coming through the ranks to replace him. :sob:

Ramps - not only brilliant (first Englishman to reach 2000 runs in a season since the divisions split) but he gives the Middlesex mob something else to moan about, which can only be a good thing.:lux:

AddiscombeEagle
10-08-2006, 11:55 AM
Bickers has always been there when I have been to watch the Rey. Great career, won't be the same without him running in.

Adlerhorst
10-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Benning not picked in the One day squad really surprised me.

jazman
10-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Benning not picked in the One day squad really surprised me.

Agreed. Another in form batsman, not that we are short of them at the moment though. In a squad of the size though he should have been in.

Fide et Fiducia
10-08-2006, 03:28 PM
Worcestershire galloping up diarrhea drive at 90 -5. Happy days.

Ruskin Old Boy
10-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Second placed Worcs beaten within 3 days - another innings victory for Surrey :p

Brett
10-08-2006, 10:52 PM
On to T/20 finals day in great form.

Can't wait for Saturday.

Godstone Eagle
11-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Surrey going march on...hopefully will do the business tomorrow in the Twenty20:lux:

And congratulations to Derbyshire, who beat Somerset today...their 1st win at home in the County Championship since 2002 :eek: :eek:

johnbush
11-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Freddy Kurz
A greatly underrated bowler, who had he not tried to bowl fast in his
his younger days, and been encouraged by Surrey's coaches from
the beginning to "shape" the ball either way through the air and
seam it off the pitch, as he later learned to do in masterly fash-
ion, he would have taken enough wickets to have forced his way
into the England team, and won many, many more caps.

His batting was of a quality both in defence and attack to put him
in the category of a true all-rounder. He was also a good fielder
with a safe pair of hands. Certainly one of Surrey's finest post-
war cricketers.

Congratulations on a great career Bickers and thank you for your
unstinted service to Surrey CCC.

Seconded!

elliott
11-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Yup.

Did well as well!

elliott
11-08-2006, 11:35 PM
Yay!!!

Go Bears.

Another victory from the jaws of defeat!

jazman
16-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Big game in Div2. The Brown Caps take on Essex. Come on Surrey :p

kitticat
16-08-2006, 04:09 PM
I'll side with that, though I was not happy with how we played on saturday in the 2020s

jazman
18-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Doesn't look good after the 1st innings and missing Ramps as well. Shouldn't be a problem but it clearly is. We need to get back to Div1 no matter about the other comps.

elliott
20-08-2006, 12:03 AM
I genuinely think today at the Rosebowl is the most exciting day of cricket you will ever see.

Hants started the day at 27-1 in their second innings, a fair bit short of the the Bears.

They get skittled in the end by Heath Streak, leaving them on 286 (95 for Benham).

Warwicks need 121 off 25 overs, in horrible light.

Bears go to 77 before collapsing spectacularly losing 6 wickets for 21.

Neil Carter (injured and batting with a runner) and Ian Westwood (just returned from hospital) are batting and they end up 14 short with 1 over left.

Carter and Westy make it with the final ball of the match.

Amazing stuff.

JKM
29-08-2006, 12:10 AM
Not sure if there is another thread for pro-40, but went to the game at the Oval on Sunday, Surrey vs Yorkshire. Surrey were brilliant, truly dominated. Great day.

Adlerhorst
10-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Surrey came very close to scoring 500 to win in the fourth innings yesterday. Apparently would have been some kind of record. Chris Schofield scored 90 odd. Nice to see him back.

Radders
11-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Surrey came very close to scoring 500 to win in the fourth innings yesterday. Apparently would have been some kind of record. Chris Schofield scored 90 odd. Nice to see him back.

Didn't know he was at Surrey! :eek:

Is he still playing just as a batter or has he taken up the leggies again?

Webb
11-09-2006, 02:53 PM
I went to the play on the Friday afternoon for the Gloucs - Surrey game, and decided against going on the Sat, as I assumed we'd be batting slowly out for the draw, rather than going for the win.:( Wish I'd gone now, considering I was sat in the pub next to the ground pretty much all day.:)

Radders, Schofield was bowling on the Friday, and getting smashed around the place by the Gloucs lower order. I wasn't convinced, and he looked painfully average in my opinion.

Anyone else going to be at The Oval for tomorrow's Pro40 game? It was a hard choice to decide between Palace and Surrey, but Surrey won. Just.

Radders
12-09-2006, 10:25 AM

Schofield was bowling on the Friday, and getting smashed around the place by the Gloucs lower order. I wasn't convinced, and he looked painfully average in my opinion.

Shame that. :(

Fide et Fiducia
12-09-2006, 03:58 PM
I think he's been doing ok generally. Everyone took some tap in that game. He's batted well and his bowling has shown promise.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/counties/surrey/averages/default.stm

I'm an optimist and I am not writing him off.

Radders
12-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Lets hope eh!;)

East-End Eagle
18-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Eagles! Eagles!

Essex Eagles win the Pro 40 league! Get in!

Radders
18-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Irani was quality in the field yetserday!:D

EAGLES, EAGLES!!!!!

:lux: :lux: :lux: :lux:

East-End Eagle
20-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Promotion decider started today. Hopefully Essex can round off an excellent summer!

Aki Aki Aki
21-09-2006, 07:14 AM
Great knock form Dave Fulton in possibly his last match for Kent :sob:

Radders
21-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by East-End Eagle
Promotion decider started today. Hopefully Essex can round off an excellent summer!

Tons for Cook & Foster and posted a decent first inns of over 450.:p

GeeTee
22-09-2006, 10:53 AM
I hope I'm not tempting fate by saying that Sussex look to have it in the bag. Mushy has demolished Notts and is one shy of his 100th victim of the season.

East-End Eagle
22-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Radders
Tons for Cook & Foster and posted a decent first inns of over 450.:p

Yes but looks like rain is going to spoil the party!

Still, good old Monty did us a favour against Worcs yesterday. Still on target.

GeeTee
22-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by GeeTee
I hope I'm not tempting fate by saying that Sussex look to have it in the bag. Mushy has demolished Notts and is one shy of his 100th victim of the season.

Ton up! :lux:

Radders
22-09-2006, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by GeeTee
Ton up! :lux:

Took 9 wickets in the innings. Fair play!:p