PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft 2006

elliott
26-04-2006, 11:59 AM
Looking forward to it? Anyone doing anything special?

At least with Favre tidied up all has become slightly clearer.

Fins priorities: OLB, Safety, DT, NT and possibly a new RB instead of Ricky.

Daunte Culpepper = Best 2nd round pick ever;)

PalaceFan@UGA
26-04-2006, 12:15 PM
I have to wait for the 2nd round before the Falcons have their first pick after trading their 15th overall pick to get Abraham, a Pro-Bowl DE.

Falcons team needs:
CB
OT
DT

I'm also root for the Raiders in the AFC, but they never draft well and will struggle again next year. I'm hoping Vince Young falls to the 7th pick for Oak.

Also looking forward to seeing my ex-Georgia Bulldogs drafted: OG Max-Jean Gilles. CB Demario Minter (come to ATL), S Greg Blue, QB DJ Shockley, DT Gerald Anderson, DT Kedric Golston, TE Leonard Pope, CB Tim Jennings...dont know if they'll all get drafted

PalaceFan@UGA
26-04-2006, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by elliott
Daunte Culpepper = Best 2nd round pick ever;)

a 2nd round pick this year is like a top 10 last year...this year's depth is much better...still a good deal as long as his knee recovers.

One Step Down
26-04-2006, 01:47 PM
I'll be stuck in Miami from Sunday on (work), so I guess I'll get to see the second day in living colour, at least on TV. From a Bears perspective, the secondary has been shored up with trades and free agents and the back-up (or starting--take your pick) quarterback question resolved with the arrival of Brian Griese. So the late first round choice appears to be either "best player available" (according to workd from Halas Hall) or a tight end (according to most of the media.) Or a trade. Ditto thereafter. The other pressing need maybe a flair kick/punt returner.

Strathclyde Eagle
26-04-2006, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by PalaceFan@UGA
Also looking forward to seeing my ex-Georgia Bulldogs drafted: OG Max-Jean Gilles. CB Demario Minter (come to ATL), S Greg Blue, QB DJ Shockley, DT Gerald Anderson, DT Kedric Golston, TE Leonard Pope, CB Tim Jennings...dont know if they'll all get drafted
Where is Shockley expected to go? Good player, but hurt his career to back up David Greene for three years.

Was hoping the Fins would draft PFIA's favourite Brodie Croyle, but that was before the Culpepper trade. Not sure who we need now, but I know I'll be annoying the Mrs by hogging the TV until the Fins pick.

Jaserob
26-04-2006, 07:15 PM
a 2nd round pick this year is like a top 10 last year...this year's depth is much better...still a good deal as long as his knee recovers.

I live around 15 minutes drive away from the home of the Minnesota Vikings and for us, I think this was a damn good deal. Culpepper will never play again from what I hear.

Polish Pete
26-04-2006, 07:30 PM
Are the Buffalo Bills poised to sign anybody decent?

Strathclyde Eagle
26-04-2006, 07:53 PM
Depending on who you believe they might take a defensive player called Haloti Ngata. He's huge and quick with it apparently.

Just read a mock draft that had the Dolphins taking WR Chad Jackson from Florida. Hear the drummer get wicked! :cool:

Strathclyde Eagle
27-04-2006, 09:48 AM
By the way, look out for the Detroit Lions picking 9th. Here's what they've done with the first pick in the last three years:

2003 - Charles Rogers (WR, Michigan State, 2nd overall).
2004 - Roy Williams (WR, Texas, 7th overall).
2005 - Mike Williams (WR, USC, 10th overall).

Three years, three wide receivers with their first pick. Small problem - they don't have the talent to get the ball to these guys and their GM Matt Millen is a dope. He's probably going to get fired after this season anyway, so hopefully he'll do the decent thing and provide comedy value in this spot by picking another WR.

(Oh please, let it happen...)

BLUE BOY
27-04-2006, 03:34 PM
Well as a Seahawk fan we dont pick until 31st. We dont have any real needs but would expect a CB in the 1st round and a DE in 2nd round.

elliott
27-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Strath, do you live in England or North America? If you have NASN I am so jealous!

What Dolphins forums/fora do you frequent? I read (and occasionally post on) FinHeaven

Strathclyde Eagle
28-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Elliott, I'm up in Scotland, just outside Glasgow.

I'm also a member at Finheaven, although I haven't had the time to take a look around there lately. Been reading the mock draft threads since November when the Jay Cutler hype was starting to whip up.

PalaceFan@UGA
29-04-2006, 02:28 AM
Texans passed on Reggie Bush....are you kidding me?

The Texans selected Mario Williams with the number one overall pick...

Strathclyde Eagle
29-04-2006, 08:22 AM
The draft isn't until tonight! Chill!

Think they would be stupid to pass on him. It is all a lot of bluff so that he can't hold them for ransom salary wise.

I also think Leinart is going to the Titans #3. They've had years of seeing a running QB get himself hurt, they're not going to want to repeat that with Young.

Strathclyde Eagle
29-04-2006, 09:36 AM
Yikes, now I see what you're talking about. I think the Texans are mad.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2426003

elliott
29-04-2006, 11:29 AM
Foolish earthlings

elliott
29-04-2006, 11:45 AM
By the way, the draft is 12 noon to 10 pm Florida time (whichever that is), and so I think it's 4pm til 2am in England.

If anyone can find a link to watch it on the internet, i would very much thank you

Strathclyde Eagle
29-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Coverage starts at 4pm on NASN. First pick 5pm.

Probably best place online will be nfl.com.

elliott
29-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Okee Cokee

Strathclyde Eagle
29-04-2006, 04:51 PM
The Jets passed on Leinart! :lux:

PalaceFan in Alabama
29-04-2006, 05:05 PM
The latest update : http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/round?round=1&draftyear=2006&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl draft%2fdraft%2ftracker%2fround%3fround%3d1%26draf tyear%3d2006

PalaceFan in Alabama
29-04-2006, 05:07 PM
What are the odds on the 'Aints' having problems with yet another top draft pick :bash:

PalaceFan in Alabama
29-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
Was hoping the Fins would draft PFIA's favourite Brodie Croyle

They are claiming he is slipping down to at least a 3rd round pick. Just my opinion, if they can protect him, he will make someone a very good QB, has a great arm, but no legs :eek:

PalaceFan in Alabama
29-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Strathclyde Eagle, take at look here:
http://nfldraft.scout.com/3/DraftCentral2006.html?refid=5455

elliott
29-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Winston Justice still not gone.

WTF are Oakland doing? No QB for them!

AJ1969
29-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Texans passed on Reggie Bush....are you kidding me?

The Texans selected Mario Williams with the number one overall pick...

Typical Texans.... never a dull moment at reliant...

Strathclyde Eagle
29-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Can't believe that the Jets, Raiders and Bills all passed on Leinart. Shocking. Think he'll have a lot to prove and will play like he's holding a grudge.

The Fins picked Jason Allen from Tennessee. Not a name I'm familiar with (or heard a lot on Finheaven - seemed like a lot of people wanted Cromartie), but that's Saban going back to draft a player from a SEC university again. Stick with what you know I guess, it worked last year (Channing Crowder was a steal in the third round).

Strathclyde Eagle
29-04-2006, 10:44 PM
Excellent, Houston, who have a decent defence and absolutely on offense, use the 1st and 33rd picks on defensive players.

Buffalo use a pick in the top ten to pick a guy who the NFL Network commentators say "Most people didn't think this guy should go in the top ten" and then move up from early in the second round to late in the first round and pick a defensive tackle who no-one has ever heard of. Genius. Enjoy the J.P. Losman era! :hi:

Strathclyde Eagle
30-04-2006, 01:12 AM
Croyle gone to KC PFiA.

PalaceFan in Alabama
30-04-2006, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
Croyle gone to KC PFiA.

They mentioned in the local rag that the Chiefs would take him he was still around in the 3rd round.

PalaceFan@UGA
30-04-2006, 09:06 PM
DJ Shockley is a Falcon for the time being....picked in the 7th round.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the Falcons draft.

Round 1 - traded in order to get an All-Pro DE in John Abraham
Round 2 - Jimmy Williams - All American CB or is a first round talent but is a little cocky (fits in with the rest of the Falcons)
Round 3 - Jerious Norwood - RB from Miss St who had the fastest 40 time in the combine for a RB and will fit in as Warrick Dunn's replacement
Round 4 - traded to get FS Chris Crocker from Browns, he was second on their team in tackles last year and upgrades our weak secondary
Round 5 - Quinn Ojennaka - OT from Syracuse who is a project with a mean streak according to coaches and seems to fit in with the running scheme used by the Falcons. He only gave up 2 sacks in over 1400 plays in his last 23 games.
Round 6 - Adam Jennings - WR from Fresno St. - quick punt returner who will help out on special teams
Round 7 - DJ Shockley - QB from UGA...has potential to become an adequate backup

One Step Down
02-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Dominant defences win Super Bowls. That's the platform. You're not going to go from 2-14 to the playoffs in one draft, but if you can finish the process of getting the equation on one side of the ball completed, then it's progress. Houston's pick wasn't the predictable option, but there are a good minorty of pundits who think they made the right decision. A minority, yes, but it's certainly not true to say everyone thinks they're mad. Time will tell.

Strathclyde Eagle
02-05-2006, 06:27 PM
If Texans wanted Williams they still could have had him, but traded down for him and got a first and second (at least) for the pick.

In every way Bush will succeed. The Saints have already had thousands of orders for Reggie Bush jerseys, and they don't even know what number he's wearing yet!

One Step Down
02-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Conspiracy theorists -- and America is full of them -- will doubtless soon conclude that Reggie Bush is playing in precisely the city the NFL wanted him playing in. Struggling franchise...post Katrina...rumours of a very unpopular move away from New Orleans. You work it out! Maybe Houston has already had their compensation, direct deposited into the bank account.