PDA

View Full Version : Premiership final Rugby

Anerley Eagle
27-04-2006, 09:24 AM
I Received a email from Premier rugby stating that there were 5000 tickets in the east stand available for £10, and thought that I would let people on the bbs know!

To book to go click below, the final is on the 27th May. Myself and my boyfriend went last year and had a very enjoyable day (especially as Wasps won!)

Ticketmaster (http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/event/12003C47C1C42C3C?artistid=947453&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=225)

elliott
27-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Ignore it. It's a bollocks event.

I ••••••• hate the RFU at the moment

Havinastella
28-04-2006, 04:12 AM
Ignore IT.

Its the Premiership final and the wild card playoff to next years Heiniken* finals??

Elliott, what are you on?

elliott
28-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Sorry. Pissed off with the RFU at the moment. They are being so selfish and greedy, and cannot see the wider implications of all that they are doing. This competition and event represents that. They are starving smaller traditional clubs and within 5 years time, many of the famous old clubs (Moseley, Coventry etc) will follow the way of Orrell and Wakefield (two of the oldest clubs in the world) in going. They let incompetent fools be in charge of lower league rugby and the way it is run is disgraceful. The RFU couldn't give a •••• and within 5 years time, it will all come crashing down. I won't be laughing. Take the Powegen Cup for example. They didn't want the old format because you played too many games. THEY PLAY EXACTLY THE SAME NUMBER OF GAMES NOW!!! It's been done purely for money and once again, the rich (RFU, GP) are getting richer, and the poor (in Nat 1/2/3 club) are getting poorer. What incentive is there for my team Bees??? We caused the greatest upset in sports history two seasons ago and no team from our league will get the chance again. Taking away the FA cup style competition is disgraceful.

Also, how about this for a ruling. My team Pertemps Bees have had shocking injuries all through this season. On saturday they had 15 fit players, 6 of which are front row. Because of the scrapping of relegation midway through the season (!!!!!) the game was a nothing game, and the RFU made the rather foolish decision to allow Bees to play 3 unregistered players with no penalty against the club.

Bees went on to win the game and yesterday it was announced that they lose the points!!! As a result, Bees will probably not put out a side tomorrow out of protest. TWO WRONGS DO NOT MAKE A RIGHT!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

One Step Down
01-05-2006, 12:21 PM
It's still a bollocks event. The playoff final has been anticlimactic every year since it started because the uneven schedule seems to mitigate against the team that finishes first. Furthermore, what's the point of finishing first and not winning the league? I'm not blaming the pests for winning it from third place the last two years: fair enough. But it's a stupid rule.

As for the Heineken places, at this rate the whole damn Premiership is going to get in, which means the 10th place team may end up in the HC. At the moment:

Sale in as champions
Irish and Tiggers in as top four
Pests in as Powergen winners, so their top 4 place drops down to Gloucester
Gloucester or Irish will qualify as Challenge Cup winners, so another top 4 place drops down, this time to Saints
Which means at the moment the teams that finish 7, 8, 9, and 10 will be playing off to qualify for the HC. And if Newcastle can make it on the basis of their performances this year, then things really are a joke.

elliott
01-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by One Step Down
It's still a bollocks event. The playoff final has been anticlimactic every year since it started because the uneven schedule seems to mitigate against the team that finishes first. Furthermore, what's the point of finishing first and not winning the league? I'm not blaming the pests for winning it from third place the last two years: fair enough. But it's a stupid rule.

As for the Heineken places, at this rate the whole damn Premiership is going to get in, which means the 10th place team may end up in the HC. At the moment:

Sale in as champions
Irish and Tiggers in as top four
Pests in as Powergen winners, so their top 4 place drops down to Gloucester
Gloucester or Irish will qualify as Challenge Cup winners, so another top 4 place drops down, this time to Saints
Which means at the moment the teams that finish 7, 8, 9, and 10 will be playing off to qualify for the HC. And if Newcastle can make it on the basis of their performances this year, then things really are a joke.

What he said

Niceaction
01-05-2006, 12:37 PM
Watch Superleague instead.

One Step Down
01-05-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Niceaction
Watch Superleague instead.

Why do people say this? I already do. Most Union followers have no problem with League; it's just died-in-the-wool league followers who seem to have a problem with Union (probably rooted in jealousy, to be honest.) Most of my mates at Northampton have no issue with Super League at all. Obviously, we'd rather watch the BG&G, but if there's no union on then League is great.

Outside of Palace, I'd watch any rugby rather than football, and I'll watch more Super League than I will World Cup this summer for sure.

elliott
01-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by One Step Down

Outside of Palace, I'd watch any rugby rather than football, and I'll watch more Super League than I will World Cup this summer for sure.

By a mile.

Cricket is even better

Football (as a neutral) is bollocks

One Step Down
02-05-2006, 01:30 AM
Glad I'm not the only one. Last time I said this on these boards, I might as well have had leprosy for the response I got. Outside of Palace, the sum total of my interest in football at this point in my life is zero. The game has simply spent 20 years going down the toilet.

Teagle
02-05-2006, 01:48 AM
I actually agree. I'd rather watch a rugby match, as a neutral, than a football match, as a neutral.

That said, I'll be watching all of the World Cup I possibly can.

I can't abide by Superleague, or League in general.

P.S. As a 'pests' fan, I see no problem with the current system. Speaking as a rugby fan however, I think the system is grossly unfair. In my opinion, if you finish first in the league, you deserve to be crowned champions.

Teagle
02-05-2006, 01:48 AM
Whoops. Double post.

One Step Down
02-05-2006, 10:12 AM
The other trouble with the playoffs, apart from the unfairness issue, is that the rigours of rugby are far more severe than the physical demands of football and that's probably one reason why adding another game or two to an already long season has tended to work against the playoffs producing games of any real quality. It's to the credit of your lot that they have come through those games better than their opponents in recent years by pacing performances and working the system to their advantage but the point remains.

Oisin
08-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Well I think the play offs are a good idea if they used their introduction to reduce the number of league matches (which they haven’t). After all if you are going to have play offs why not get rid of the idea that you have play every team home and away? It is essentially unfair that rugby teams can be without their best players on international duty so to some extent the play offs help compensate for this. So why not drop three home games out of the season per team to help prevent player burn out? If all important issues are decided by play offs teams will be more likely to rest players throughout the season.
The new AngloWelsh Cup is a Mickey Mouse Heineken. Bring back the old format.

On a positive note the Exiles had a good season and I look forward to watching them in the play offs.

One Step Down
09-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Oisin: Given the number of emergent teams, or teams in emergent areas of the country, while it might dilute talent a little bit at first, the obvious answer to reducing games, keeping the playoffs, and growing Premiership rugby is to expand the league.

I would add four teams to the current 12, then divide into two divisions (North and South, East and West, whatever) of 8 teams each, so each side played 14 games rather than the current 22. But I would then send everyone into playoffs; top four in each division for the overall championship, and bottom four in each to avoid relegation and/or win remaining Heineken Cup places, which should more or less bring the total match count back up to the present 22 or slightly less (which would be a blessing.)

Done this way, your line-up for next season might be something like:

Premiership South
London Irish
Saracens
Wasps
Bristol
Bath
Gloucester
Harlequins
Cornish Pirates

Premiership North
Sale
Leicester
Leeds
Newcastle
Northampton
Worcester
Bedford
Earth Titans (Rotherham as was)

And your playoffs, intra-divisional in the first round, would make sense.

Oisin
09-05-2006, 12:15 PM
I agree. I think the English top flight should have 16 teams like the French and the Celtic League should expand to include Italian teams to bring it up to 14. The top eight of each then go into the Heineken the rest join two new market teams in a secondary European competition.
However I'd have each team play each other once (so fifteen league games) followed by play offs and then go straight into European competition. I love the Heineken but at the moment it’s all over the place.
A reformed Powergen could be played during the autumn internationals and six nations. Yes that means the internationals won’t be present but they just can’t play every match. If you have some form of play of to decide all important issues the players are far more likely to be rested during the season. You can then still have promotion and relegation too which the current clubs are trying to do away with.

From this season international players in NZ will sit out the NPC. So an All Black will play 13 Super games plus play offs (although in practice many players are rested) and a handful of internationals. So about twenty games a season. They’ll have two long breaks a year. You just can’t compete with that at world cups if you flog your players every week.

Anerley Eagle
09-05-2006, 03:31 PM
If Palace are away or not playing I often go and watch the other half play rugby, Old Becces have had a fantastic season this year and on sunday added the Kent Vase cup to the League, Can also have a beer while watching aswell so cant complain!

Here's the attractive lot celebrating!!

elliott
09-05-2006, 03:58 PM
It would be a disgrace not to have a Birmingham team in that