PDA

View Full Version : Floyd Patterson dies aged 71

nottsunieagle
11-05-2006, 06:46 PM
Sad news - youngest heavyweight champion and the first fighter to regain it.

Heavyweight great Patterson dies

Patterson (left) lost to Muhammad Ali twice
Former world heavyweight champion Floyd Patterson has died aged 71.
The American, who had been suffering from Alzheimer's disease and prostate cancer, passed away at his home in New Paltz, New York on Thursday.

Patterson, from Brooklyn, won Olympic middleweight gold in 1952 before embarking on a glittering pro career.

He became the youngest heavyweight champion in 1956 by stopping Archie Moore aged just 21. He was also the first fighter to regain the title.

After suffering a shock loss to Ingemar Johansson in 1959, when he was stopped in three rounds, he reclaimed the belt the following year with a fifth-round knockout of the Swede.

Patterson eventually lost his title for good to Sonny Liston in 1962, although he made three attempts at winning it back.

He lost a rematch against Liston, who once again knocked him out in the first round, and was also beaten by Muhammad Ali.

Ali, who had taken the title from Liston, won with a 12th-round stoppage.

Patterson lost a disputed 15-round decision to WBA champion Jimmy Ellis in 1968 but fought on for another four years before a second defeat by Ali in 1972 prompted his retirement.

danibutcher
12-05-2006, 03:34 PM
RIP Floyd

You were a true ambassador to a sport i adore.
The one word i think of when i think of patterson is "CLASS"
The man was all class in and out of the ring.He will be missed.God bless him and his family.