PDA

View Full Version : Palace fan supports Dowie shocker


Addickted
28-05-2006, 09:24 AM
Whatever his status may or may not be with Charlton Iain Dowie has shown his credentials – he took over an Oldham club in chaos and took a team going nowhere to achieve play off status only to promptly lose most of the players due to Oldham’s financial troubles.

He joins Crystal Palace to take on the challenges of an under achieving team and a demanding egomaniacal chairman whose background was turning a quick buck in an emerging market with a business reputation allegedly akin to Attila the Hun.

Dowie turned the club around to the extent he actually achieved promotion to the PL with a side that was heading in the other direction and with largely the same squad (due to his chairman’s lack of financial planning and despite 15mn from P/L) and a number host of undisclosed fee and overseas transfers he nearly kept the club in the P/L.

He struggled to make progress this year and may have made tactical errors pursuing direct football tactics especially with key players injured (Johnson missed 1/3rd and Rihilati 2/3rd of season) but still took CPFC to the play offs before being outgunned by a Watford side better suited to that style of football. His support of home grown talents Watson, Soares and Borrowdale in a promotion seeking side I would have thought would be applauded

In talks with Jordan they decide to part. That the relationship lasted as long was due to the success of promotion and playing PL football but was a miracle considering the respective talents of Dowie and Jordan. One a Masters Degree qualified engineer understanding how to build for the long term, the other a slick salesman living for the next adrenalin fix. That Mr. Jordan chose to spin the separation is for him not Iain Dowie.

As far as CPFC transfers, figures are usually undisclosed so how someone quotes the numbers on here is anybody’s guess but Kiraly, Boyce, Morrison, McNuff and Hall did well. Speroni, Hudson and Leighterwood seem reasonably priced squad members. The remainder, Macken apart, were high risk overseas signings in an attempt to add a quality quick fix to retain PL status.

For all I know Parkinson will get the Charlton job but I would have thought Dowie with his long career in domestic football from Hendon to the old Division 1 with West Ham and Southampton, then record international caps with Northern Ireland and UEFA coaching badge qualifications was certainly someone in who Charlton should have had taken a serious interest

Santos-er
28-05-2006, 09:27 AM
what?

Stockport_Eagle
28-05-2006, 09:35 AM
Charlton are indeed right to be interested.

The main point to be aware of is that the pattern of events at Oldham and Palace is pretty much the same, and neither Oldham or Palace fans are distrought to have lost his services.

I for one have forecast for years that Charlton will go down as soon as Curbs leaves (stayed a bit long for my liking). If everything goes to form, you'll do well next year and will be on here bragging that Dowies got you into Europe or something. Might be worth a few bob on relegation 2007/2008 though.

boroeagle
28-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Good luck Addickted, you will need it - especially if the rumour of McDonald joing ID is true. I am so pleased he never ended up at Boro. We have got rid of one manager who see's games through rose tinted glasses (McClaren), Last season Dowie was the same. Infact all the games I saw Boro/Palace play last year I am sure McClaren/Dowie were watching different games, listening/reading their post match interviews if I had not seen them on the touch line during the game I would have swore they were at a different match!

Just remember Luton home/away, Plymouth away, Watford playoffs - to name 4 !!!

boroeagle
28-05-2006, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by boroeagle
Good luck Addickted, you will need it - especially if the rumour of McDonald joing ID is true. I am so pleased he never ended up at Boro. We have got rid of one manager who see's games through rose tinted glasses (McClaren), Last season Dowie was the same. Infact all the games I saw Boro/Palace play last year I am sure McClaren/Dowie were watching different games, listening/reading their post match interviews if I had not seen them on the touch line during the game I would have swore they were at a different match!


It will be interesting to see who becomes his favorites too, the players no matter how s*ite they are playing he will never drop. Wonder if Fitz Hall is on his way to you ??

cpfc4ever
28-05-2006, 09:41 AM
Please can Fitz •••• off

racehorse-80s
28-05-2006, 09:54 AM
If dowie accepts the charlton job it will be interesting to see how quickly the clowns realise they have f**ked up :D

DaveTuttles
28-05-2006, 09:59 AM
And we care because?

Phil's Barber
28-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Addickted, you seem to know an awful lot about CPFC for a Charlton fan. I couldn't even name half the Charlton squad.

Go on, admit it, you're a secret Palace fan really.

cdm61
28-05-2006, 11:19 AM
He's crapping it already....revealing some of his inner thoughts you should stick to this advice if you feel compelled to say something don't.....

Your going down and you know it......for the first season in a long while you have deep doubts....no Curbs and now the one hit wonder Dowie.

The thing you have to contend with is this....Dowie is untested when it comes to moving things forward from a position of strength....yes he can motivate the lost souls of Oldham and Palace because he started from a low base. But now he's got a mid table club with players who won't respond to a bit of boxing and swimming. Can the one trick pony find another one? It will be interesting to watch.:D

tommygear
28-05-2006, 11:46 AM
Dowie has skills in building a team for the future?! He is anything but...a one season impact manager.

I seriously doubt his style...especially when Palace were knocked out of the play offs he said "it's not a time to reflect on what we have missed out on but what Watford and Aidey Bootroyd have achieved".

cpfcben
28-05-2006, 11:52 AM
He has already got the job. WTF are you on?

Lardy
28-05-2006, 12:35 PM
I think this is gonna be funny. He'll build a team full of Dowies, work hard, try hard but ultimately fail. Least I hope he mirrors what he did at palace

LP
28-05-2006, 09:28 PM
I think they're so delighted at having 'got one over on Palace' that they'd obviously overlooked the serious questions that exist over Dowie as a manager. I really do wonder whether point scoring over Palace was a motivation in them taking him on. If it was and it goes wrong then we can all have a damn good laugh at them.

Ben H
29-05-2006, 08:24 AM
"This club has no soul", Iain Dowie, 2004.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
29-05-2006, 08:41 AM
It will be interesting to see if Dowie is able to take Charlton to the next level, or if it could backfire and go the other way?

Certainly in the short term I would expect to see gains due to Dowie's strict fitness regime and his man-motivation skills - but there are still big questions over his tactics on the field and judgement in the transfer market to mention just a couple of points.

I think the fact that Palace fans are largely unbothered about Dowie's exit and that he is coming up for some fairly hefty critisism on these boards should be a worry for Charlton fans, not a source of amusement. After all - he is meant to be stepping up a league, on the back of an under-achieving season of extremely average football with a Championship side.

So have your laugh now, Charlton - because it all gets a bit more serious when the big clubs come up against Dowie at The Valley.

LP
29-05-2006, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels


So have your laugh now, Charlton - because it all gets a bit more serious when the big clubs come up against Dowie at The Valley.

Exactly the point I'm making, they're so damn busy patting themselves on the back for having got one over on us that they don't seem to realise what having Dowie could mean.

Stockport_Eagle
29-05-2006, 09:17 AM
He who laughs last, laughs longest. :D

Phil O'Sophical
29-05-2006, 09:24 AM
Dowie is Charlton's third choice.

Taylor was offered the job and then found out they were going to interview other candidates and walked.

Davies was offered the job and then found out about about Charlton's limited transfer policy and walked.

Dowie was offered the job and accepted.

Only ending up with your third choice is a hell of a gamble. Having seen ID's tactics over the past season and the fact that he couldn't get players motivated for key games, Charlton are gambling their Premiership future.

etu
29-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels


So have your laugh now, Charlton - because it all gets a bit more serious when the big clubs come up against Dowie at The Valley.

Oddly enough, thats the one time they can feel safe in my book. Only failed to get points off Chelski in the top 4 at home.

Its the not quite enough performances against your closest rivals (league-wise) and the horrendous beatings you'll take after 20 good minutes away against the big clubs that would worry me.

racehorse-80s
29-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Phil O'Sophical
Dowie is Charlton's third choice.

Taylor was offered the job and then found out they were going to interview other candidates and walked.

Davies was offered the job and then found out about about Charlton's limited transfer policy and walked.

Dowie was offered the job and accepted.

Only ending up with your third choice is a hell of a gamble. Having seen ID's tactics over the past season and the fact that he couldn't get players motivated for key games, Charlton are gambling their Premiership future.

Totally agree 3rd choice and 3rd rate manager for a 3rd rate team:o

Adlerhorst
29-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Stockport_Eagle
Charlton are indeed right to be interested.

The main point to be aware of is that the pattern of events at Oldham and Palace is pretty much the same, and neither Oldham or Palace fans are distrought to have lost his services.

I for one have forecast for years that Charlton will go down as soon as Curbs leaves (stayed a bit long for my liking). If everything goes to form, you'll do well next year and will be on here bragging that Dowies got you into Europe or something. Might be worth a few bob on relegation 2007/2008 though.

Agree completely with this.

Oisin
29-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Dowie might be third time lucky. I'm surprised Charlton went for him to be honest.

BaldEagle96
30-05-2006, 08:00 AM
The only good thing to come out of this is that Charlton WILL get relegated in the next couple of years now!

Chief Brody
30-05-2006, 08:27 AM
After the initial honeymooon period, sit back and enjoy football that will make your eyes bleed and the superb organisation of the McDonald "jelly" defence :rolleyes: . Wonder at the generous amount of transfer money thrown down the drain on players that are then played out of position. Marvel at the inspiring tactical nous and the subtle nuances of a grand master at work.

Enjoy Chorlton. In the words of the master of ceremonies at the NFL draft, "Charlton are now on the clock".......................... and it's ticking baby!! ;)