PDA

View Full Version : Schalk Burger (and Heineken Cup)

One Step Down
23-06-2006, 08:33 AM
It'll be a tragedy if Schalk Burger's neck injury is career ending, and it looks like that may be the case. Andy Robinson, for one, should study the videos as it might help him grasp how a modern 6 is supposed to play rugby. This guy is immense, and barely into his twenties too with a long career ahead of him.

Incidentally, I met him once while he was playing for the Baby Boks. A more charming and polite guy you couldn't wish to bump into (which, as it happened, it exactly what I did :-)). Unsurprisingly, everything that a modern football player is not.

As for the Heineken, some tasty rugby and a good draw for the Saints. Last eight, here we come (assuming we can beat Biarritz at FG. Now that will be a game to look forward to.)

elliott
25-06-2006, 10:00 PM
Schalk is immense, although slightly contrary to what you say, he's got a bit of a reputation.

Always hate it when he plays against the Sharks, he goes for em!

Johnson
14-07-2006, 05:16 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/international/5179010.stm

Schalk Burger is confident he will return to action for the Springboks following neck surgery.

The 23-year-old is recuperating from an operation to fuse two vertebrae in his neck after an injury he sustained in a Test against Scotland last month.

There were fears Burger's career could be over, but the 2004 world player of the year is positive about returning.

"I won't rush back for anyone, but I will play for South Africa again one day," said the flanker.

Burger will be able to start jogging in three months but can only think about training seriously again in January 2007.

"With this kind of injury you realise you're not immortal," he added.

"At the moment I'm doing what normal people do. I'm resting and watching some television and I'm content."

:p