PDA

View Full Version : Cricket; Bumble Fan Club

jazman
12-07-2006, 01:18 PM
I am sure that I am not the only one to be enjoying his commentary on the Twenty20 competition this season. Beats the likes of Motson any day. Commentary genius :D

So I hereby commence the BBS Bumble Fan Club - who's in?

AddiscombeEagle
12-07-2006, 01:29 PM
He is quality, so I am in.

Great Lombardi
12-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Me....."That's four, start the car!!!"

jazman
12-07-2006, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Great Lombardi
Me....."That's four, start the car!!!"

:D

The way he bangs on about the journey to the ground and the players profiles gets me every time ...... :D

Radders
12-07-2006, 01:32 PM
He was on about the Brighton nudist beach last night. Very funny!

I'm in.

:lux: :lux: :lux: :lux: :lux:

jazman
12-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Radders
He was on about the Brighton nudist beach last night. Very funny!

I'm in.

:lux: :lux: :lux: :lux: :lux:

I missed that one. Heard him mention that he has never watched Big Brother to which the other commentator (can't recall who it was) said how can you hate the programme when you haven't watched it? Bumble promptly replied that it's not his kind of thing ..... :D

TN16_Eagle
12-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Pitch reports in the undergrowth are always good value. :)

I'm in the bumble fan club.

Oddjob
12-07-2006, 02:09 PM
I love it when a new batsmen comes in and they have his favourite band and stuff on screen

'Snow Patrol? Never heard of em! '

Great Lombardi
12-07-2006, 02:15 PM
I love it when a new batsmen comes in and they have his favourite band and stuff on screen

And yet he knows who Mob Deep are!!!:eek:

shortbutsound
12-07-2006, 02:16 PM
Count me in!

Cracks me up. I love the conversations he has with players on the pitch, especially when he uses a northern phrase to a lad from the south coast. Genius!

Sluggo
12-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Sorry, but I seemed to have missed this completely. Who is this Bumble?

The last Bumble I knew of was a postman who played for the same village cricket team I did, but it can't be him.

Apologies if I'm lowering the tone, but it sounds like a fun thing to be in on.

Great Lombardi
12-07-2006, 03:55 PM
David Lloyd

jazman
12-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Great Lombardi
David Lloyd

Ex-England coach no less

Glaws Eagle
13-07-2006, 02:01 PM
The man is hilarious .....

I'm in!

elliott
13-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Bumble = God.

Watched him shoving Aravinda da Silva into the back of his convertible car (forgotten which one now). It was one of the most comedy moments I've ever seen.

macstar
13-07-2006, 03:22 PM
yup he is funny.

PhilD
13-07-2006, 03:23 PM
He's a legend.

Very amusing, knows his stuff and seems like a genuinely nice chap too.

Arthur Dent
13-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Im in.

But he is no blowers (Henry Blofeld).

The legend that he is.

Arthur Dent
13-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Here is Blowers overview from Wisden.

Wisden overview:

"Often assumed to be as dotty as his trademark bow-tie, Henry Blofeld's quaint obsession with London buses and pigeons has ensured him a place alongside John Arlott and Brian Johnston as the one of the legendary voices of BBC's Test Match Special. For many, especially those listeners who hailed his return to the airwaves in 1994 after a stint at Sky TV, Blofeld's burbling commentaries provide a pleasingly onamatapoeic backdrop to a day's cricket, and his frequent gaffes and misidentifications merely add to that charm. Like Johnston, "Blowers" was educated at Eton College and his old-school leanings are unmistakeable. Unlike Johnston, however, his bluff and hearty image is not entirely accurate, as anyone who has read his caustic columns in The Independent would testify. In part this might be attributed to frustration. As a schoolboy wicketkeeper and batsman, Blofeld was one of the finest cricketers ever to emerge from Eton, and seemed destined to play for England until he was knocked off his bike in his final year at school. Though he recovered to play for Cambridge and Norfolk, he soon turned to journalism, where he learned his trade under the watchful eye of EW Swanton. He was awarded an OBE in 2003 for his services to broadcasting. Andrew Miller"

PengeEagle
15-07-2006, 05:29 PM
I am in, Bumble is definatley a legend.

DaveCPFC4Life
15-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Count me in - One of the funniest men on telly

kettle
16-07-2006, 09:04 PM
I'm in!

Super-Ste-Cious
16-07-2006, 11:21 PM
Definately in. Bumble cracks me up!!!

fulhameagle
19-07-2006, 01:04 PM
"In the circumstances, I felt I should oblige. She was a lovely mature lady, and quite ample. In fact, Muttiah Muralitharan would have had plenty of room to sign his name."
David "Bumble" Lloyd was rather taken aback when a former Sussex Ladies cricketer asked him to sign her cleavage with a felt-tip pen. Apparently, if he agreed, she stood to earn £200 for charity

jazman
19-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Botham talking to Bumble during the England v ****stan test match;

Botham; How many shirts did you bring along for trip Bumble? (chuckling)
Bumble; Oh, you don't need any more than two for the five days .....

Botham; (chuckling away in the background with Michael Holding like two naughty schoolboys)

:D :D

Joeymaz
19-07-2006, 01:44 PM
I'm in

westsussexeagle
19-07-2006, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by jazman
Botham talking to Bumble during the England v ****stan test match;

Botham; How many shirts did you bring along for trip Bumble? (chuckling)
Bumble; Oh, you don't need any more than two for the five days .....

Botham; (chuckling away in the background with Michael Holding like two naughty schoolboys)

:D :D

Yep heard this. Class indeed. He was excellent on TMS a few years ago. I remember he raided the cake in front of everyone else one day describing it as 'real claggy cake - sticks to yer ribs'. His northern humour spot now seems to have been taken by 'Foxy' Fowler.

Fide et Fiducia
21-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Arthur Dent
Here is Blowers overview from Wisden.

Wisden overview:

"Often assumed to be as dotty as his trademark bow-tie, Henry Blofeld's quaint obsession with London buses and pigeons has ensured him a place alongside John Arlott and Brian Johnston as the one of the legendary voices of BBC's Test Match Special. For many, especially those listeners who hailed his return to the airwaves in 1994 after a stint at Sky TV, Blofeld's burbling commentaries provide a pleasingly onamatapoeic backdrop to a day's cricket, and his frequent gaffes and misidentifications merely add to that charm. Like Johnston, "Blowers" was educated at Eton College and his old-school leanings are unmistakeable. Unlike Johnston, however, his bluff and hearty image is not entirely accurate, as anyone who has read his caustic columns in The Independent would testify. In part this might be attributed to frustration. As a schoolboy wicketkeeper and batsman, Blofeld was one of the finest cricketers ever to emerge from Eton, and seemed destined to play for England until he was knocked off his bike in his final year at school. Though he recovered to play for Cambridge and Norfolk, he soon turned to journalism, where he learned his trade under the watchful eye of EW Swanton. He was awarded an OBE in 2003 for his services to broadcasting. Andrew Miller"

Should it not be 'onomatopoeic' ? Wisden? Tut tut...

Vince Hilaire's Afro
23-07-2006, 12:34 AM
Hail Bumble. Funniest one I can remember is when he interviewed 2 guys in the crowd, dressed as a bride and groom. He made a couple of risque comments that egged on the guys sufficiently to reply with a complete stream of smut so bad they cut back to Gower in the studio, who moved swiftly on....

jazman
23-07-2006, 01:02 PM
He was on before the Test match last Sunday searching people as they came though the gates. Then the NPower ladies came past :D :D You had to see it really but Bumble gold :p

mrdance88
25-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Possibly the best commentator on TV atm.

I'm in too!

andy1905
25-07-2006, 12:30 AM
top guy. watching Eng v Pak im sure he was more interested in the Bikini's on view in the park than the cricket,

he does say some amusing things!

RashtheSmash2
25-07-2006, 04:10 PM
I'm in. "First rule of cricket broadcasting; never tell them the name of your football team." (his is Accrington Stanley.)

Fide et Fiducia
25-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Did anyone catch the double act between him and Allott at Hove about the nudist beach?

Classic.

jazman
25-07-2006, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Fide et Fiducia
Did anyone catch the double act between him and Allott at Hove about the nudist beach?

Classic.

Yes. Had me in stitches. Bumble Gold :D